Raleigh, North Carolina

3.0/5 (124 ratings)

About Ply Gem

Ply Gem manufactures vinyl siding in a variety of styles and materials, as well as gutters, fascia and soffit. It also offers windows, doors, stone and other home exterior products. Check out Ply Gem online to find out if it’s available in your area.

Ply Gem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ply Gem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ply Gem?

Original review: March 4, 2021

Do to a recall on their Harbor Grey color I sent a siding sample in to the company as it was almost white on the 2 front gables facing South. I was blown away as to their response that they determined that this was normal wear and fading. Keep in mind that this siding is only 5 years old.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Do NOT purchase Ply Gem steel siding. I realize siding expands and contracts from temperature or sunlight exposure but this stuff makes a ticking sound at every nail location all day, every day when it does. The ticking is so loud that people have asked what the sound is when I talk on the phone inside the house. Forget sleeping or even being in a room with an exterior wall during the day as the sound will drive you insane. It occurs as soon as sunlight shines on it and will continue literally all day long until sunset. Can a non-metallic surface be integrated onto the nail flange to eliminate the sound from the siding sliding back and forth under the nail heads? Plastic washers? I know other houses in our development have steel siding and don't have this issue. I am actually praying for a large hailstorm so I can replace this with something else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I installed Ply Gem siding on my house, it faded, they provided some new siding, I had to pay for the rest of it out of pocket, it cost $10,000 and they only paid for 1/3 of it, and when I asked about it, Dina who has the worst customer service attitude I have ever encountered, started yelling at me, telling me that I was lucky they gave me anything at all. It took almost a year to get the warranty completed. I would never use them again. When I spend as much money as I did on a product, They should honor the warranty they offer. Dina ** who was the rep should be fired for her attitude with me. I am sure I am not the only one she spoke to like that. I'm so sorry I bought this product.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Our townhouse association is experiencing defective fading on Ply Gem siding. We have been working with the Ply Gem sales manager for over 1 year to have 3 year old defective siding that has become splotchy and faded replaced. The latest sample was sent to warranty services almost 2 months ago and they have not approved the replacement. I was told approval would be in 2 weeks. I have sent 16 emails to the sales manager and several phone calls. This company is holding up the installer and other owners' home sales. I would never advise doing business with this company.

Hi Connie,

I appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We apologize for the trouble you've had getting your replacement and would like to try to make things right, so please let me know if you’d like me to have our customer service team look into this for you. I'd be happy to connect you with the right person.

Thank you!

Original review: March 25, 2020

Do your research before you buy from this Manufacturer, they do not stand behind their product, vinyl siding. At least, they will do whatever they can to result in a claim being denied. They choose to lay blame on the installers or the homeowner.

Hi Chase,

I appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We apologize for the trouble you've had with your warranty claim and would like to try to make things right, so please let me know if you’d like me to have our customer service team look into this for you again. I'd be happy to connect you with the right person.

Thank you!

Resolution response: April 8, 2020

Thank you so much PlyGem!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My house is less than 2 years old and my soffit is already flaking. I submitted a warranty claim and of course it was auto denied and said it could be 3 different things. I filed a BBB complaint as well and no response. It's an outdoor product yet they blame it on conditions or something from another item on the house or salt air. Isn't your product made to withstand the elements since it's an outdoor product? Guess not. I would never use any of their products if that's the case.

Ply Gem response

Hi Tim, we are so sorry to hear about your experience. Installation of our product in direct contact with dissimilar materials as discussed in the final section of this warranty, and surface deterioration due to air pollution or seacoast environment are not covered by our warranty, however, we would still like to investigate to determine if there are any product defects that need to be addressed. Additionally, we would like to review the order, so we can also follow-up with the building pro who installed the siding. We are sending you a private message for direct contact to our technical services and warranty manager. Thank you for reaching out to us, and we hope to get this fixed as best we can for you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

The thing I liked the most with the having the siding was there was no maintenance or not having to paint anymore. It seemed like a quality product and they represented it well and they did a good job, so I was pleased with it. It looks good. I like it. They represented themselves in a professional manner. There was a few things that went on with the installer that I wasn’t happy with, but the company representative got it corrected and made it right. So they handled themselves well. The cost was a little high, but it is what it is. You can't buy anything for a dollar anymore.

Hi, Allen!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We love hearing that you are pleased with the quality of our siding, even if the price is a little high, as well pleased with our professionalism. We're always happy to help with anything. Please feel free to reach back out to us if you ever need anything else.

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Everything was A-plus. Halde installed the siding and they did a wonderful job. If Ply Gem wanted somebody to represent their company, they do a wonderful job. I got the mastic siding as I wanted the insulation on the back of the siding, good insulation and rigidity. The quality is really great.

Hi, Kyle!

Thank you so much for leaving this kind review! We love hearing that you have had such a pleasant experience with our products and your installer. Thank you for choosing Ply Gem Mastic siding! :)

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I got a Mastic siding, and I liked it very much. I bought the larger panels, and I like it on the house. The installation took 2 days and it looks great. The cost and quality was right in line with each other.

Hi, Pam!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review with such kind words! We love hearing that you are pleased with the quality and cost of our Mastic siding. Thank you for choosing us and being a Ply Gem customer!

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Ply Gem Siding's people were very professional and cleaned up very well. So far, the siding's quality has been okay. And after it was applied, my house looks wonderful. I'd tell others to get Ply Gem Siding.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I liked the price and color at Ply Gem Mastic Siding and I had the siding put in six months ago. It looks great and it has good quality. Also, it was a fair cost. My home looks better now.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Last year, we used Ply Gem Siding and did half of our house. We did it via Home Depot where we purchased a turnkey installation. The contractor they sent did a very good job and was meticulous. This year we went back to get the second half completed and Home Depot no longer did installations of the product. We wanted a turnkey package and we happen to have the local distributor’s paperwork from the delivery from the year prior. We called them up and asked them if they had some recommendations and we got a few. Finally, we chose Carolina Pro Exteriors who appeared to be the most organized going in. In the end, the job was fine, but we did have many issues along the way. There was a lack of supervision on their part for their crew, who worked hard but did not speak English as their first language

Initially, their crew did not cut the product properly. They were using thin snips hand shears. The people that did it the year before were very specific about needing a rotary style saw because of the Styrofoam backing. If you try to cut it with shears, that Styrofoam snaps and breaks. And the purpose of having the Styrofoam-backed product is to have it continuously behind where the siding is, not snapped off and broken off. We had to call Carolina, put a stop-work until they came out and understood. Then they cut some wires to our existing irrigation controller. We told them that had to be fixed before they put up the siding completely, which they didn’t do. They had to get somebody out to fix it.

Around our back porch area, we had wiring installed behind the channel of our aluminum framing for the porch. When they put up the siding, they let the room’s wiring hang outside of it. Carolina Pro Exteriors made it all right, in the end, but there could’ve been a little more cutting on the cost. They over-ordered the material, which drove the price. It was several thousand dollars more than the prior year.

We live on a golf course. The house is 15 years old and the old siding was getting a little brittle and some on the back have taken golf ball shots and had just holes in them. You could replace pieces but over the years, the color would never match. Ply Gem Siding is way more impact-resistant. We also looked at Hardie Board. We have another neighbor who has it and while it is somewhat impact-resistant, if a golf ball hits it very hard, it leaves a round dimple on the Hardie Board. So far, we have not seen any damage from the impacts we have had. I believe the Styrofoam backing gives just a little bit but doesn’t let the vinyl crack.

When we had a porch renovation, we used some of the excess siding to add to appeal so that it looks like it was a uniform job all the way around. We’re very happy with the product, which was why we chose it again. It is performing very well for our house and for the application that we specifically wanted to use it for. We’re very satisfied with the way it looks and it provides a better insulation factor.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I did a research online to see what would be the best product for what I needed and I went with Ply Gem Siding Group. The rep I worked with knew what he was talking about. He came and sat down with us for about an hour in one day and he came out a couple of times. I ended up going with a sandstone color and our home looked absolutely better now that we have new Mastic siding. They did wrap the house for the vapor barrier, so the quality seems really good. And we have noticed some decrease in our electric bill.

The subcontractor guy did great work, but there was one instance when he came to work one morning and the weather wasn't really great. He said, "Well, we should be able to work by noon." I said, "That'd be great. You can get in like four hours." When I came back in the house and looked out the window, he was driving off. He didn't say anything and he left for the rest of the day. He could've come to the front door and said something.

Once the installation was all done and everything was complete, there were a couple of little issues that came up that, after a while, you find stuff after you just walk into it. Ply Gem was good about getting the contractor back out here the next day to fix that issue. As a matter of fact, I just found the problem another day, and they sent the guy out the next morning and took care of it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Ply Gem is a local company and they’ve been around forever. I saw a commercial on TV one day and I said that I would call them and talk to them. Our house was already the color that we selected and I built a garage years ago, and had that siding on the garage. When Ply Gem came out, they had one matching identical, so that’s where we went. World of Windows people came out and put in all the windows and doors in a day. They didn't even disrupt us and we didn't have to do anything. They cleaned up, didn't make any kinda mess, and in a couple days, the guy showed up with the vinyl siding, and they went to work on it. It might have taken them two days. My home looks wonderful with the siding. It's great and we love it. We’re very satisfied and we’re very happy with Ply Gem.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Ply Gem was recommended by the construction team. I wrote a check and the construction crew handled everything. We got some kind of antique gray siding and it looks good.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

The siding we got does a lot to the look of our home because it blends in with the background. We liked the color and when we made the purchase, we had a very good experience with their representative. The siding was a little bit more expensive because we picked such a dark shade and when it's so dark, they have to do anti-fade. But we totally understand that. It was reasonable and it was our choice.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Ply Gem seemed better quality compared to other manufacturers and I knew they had the color we wanted. We went with a charcoal gray. A lot of times, when you see grays on a larger scale, they kinda get a bluer tint to them. But this does not have that at all so we're very pleased. The house looks really good too. The quality of the siding is good and the color is perfect. We're very happy with the siding.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Everything was perfect with Ply Gem. They were great and hard workers. If they weren't able to be there, which was only one day, they called us. A lot of contractors don't do that. They were also very conscientious and interactive. They knocked on the door every night to tell us what the plan was for the next day. The style of the siding made the biggest difference to our home. It added a lot and it looks great.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I had Mastic siding from Ply Gem put on and it is a good product. It's dark green and I like the color. But I’m not happy with Buckeye Improvements, the company that put it on. They still haven’t finished the job. They got the siding on but the face doesn't look good for my standards, or the trim around the windows and stuff that they put with the aluminum.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Our home looks nice with the Ply Gem siding on it. Our contractor chose Ply Gem. We just chose the color. It matches the existing siding that's on the house. It's similar in the style and color. And they no longer make my siding. It's almost 15 years old. It's not an exact match, but it's close. And you're looking at a west wall, which is seen on the sun for most of the day versus the rest of the house that only gets a slight bit of sunlight during the day. Also, it seemed to be a much more durable siding. The siding and everything that was provided for us met our expectations and exceeded things and matched the color of the house. The contractor did not have any issues putting it up. It was easy for them to put up. And they were done within four to five hours to do the wall. Everything else seems fine. I did some of the siding myself, so I can attest to that portion of it, but the color and color match are perfect.

Original review: July 17, 2019

The house was already built when I moved in and it had Ply Gem siding on it, and it is good. It's like a gray-looking color than ivory. It’s pretty. I love the color. It makes the house look better because it’s just not like a simple and plain color for me, and it was kinda different. That’s why I liked it. And it stands out. I had housewarming this weekend, so I had people over saying, “Oh, my god. That’s a pretty color." There was a man that knows about that kind of stuff and he was like, “Oh, this is really good." I feel like I made a good choice.

Original review: July 16, 2019

The gentleman from Ply Gem Siding came by the house and it was quite a selection that we got to choose from. It was well worth it to sit through it. It looked like a pretty good deal and the rep was very straightforward and wasn’t pushy. He was a very good salesman. The siding made the house look nice.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We have a newly built home and it already had Ply Gem sidings in it. It looks fine and I don't have any complaints. I could pick the color that I wanted in the home. They have subscribed colors of homes in the neighborhood, and I chose blue, so I could put up a light blue. The HOA had sent someone out to repair our siding that was damaged by the lawn people. I've been online and registered everything. Our siding was dislodged and it was damaged, and the people who did the repair came and they took care of it.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I purchased the Ply Gem Solar Defense siding for my home in 2015 based on the low maintenance and Ply Gem's “No Fade, No Distortion Promise”. Within a few months the siding began to distort in one location of the house on the second story. It looks like the siding was exposed to a direct flame or extreme heat. The district salesman got some of the “next generation” siding to see if that would fix it. Within a few months, the siding again distorted. The siding has been replaced multiple times by more than one installer. Each time the siding distorts.

I filed a warranty claim with Ply Gem, they sent a specialist out who determined that my builder installed the siding incorrectly. My builder has installed this same siding on multiple home with no issues. The district salesperson agreed to send one of Ply Gem's trainers to my home to teach my builder how to install the side and ensure he is doing it correctly. I have been attempting to get a date set since November 2018. It should not take this long to get someone to verify the installation of 6 pieces of siding. Unfortunately since this began, there are other areas on my home exhibiting the same issue.

Original review: July 10, 2019

My home was pretty ugly before but it looks better with the new mastic siding from Ply Gem Siding. It wasn’t overly priced and the product is fine. It seems to be holding up okay. I wouldn’t mind recommending Ply Gem Siding but I wouldn’t recommend the installers to anybody. Our house is not very big and the installers turned a week job into two months, so I was unhappy with the installation.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Product faded, got warranty pack and did all in directions. Called after 3 weeks and talker to **, she e mailed back not covered. Been trying to get a hold of her since. I live in development with 80 of the same products on them, and mine is only one that look terrible. Flashing, fading. Brittle. Bad customer service, to me so far any way!

Original review: June 29, 2019

To Ashley Ply Gem. I recently put a claim in regarding trim work that has blistered, peeled, corroded. Endurance PVC aluminum wrap. This should not happen and it's being denied. My Neighbor use the same company and no problem with their trim.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Ply Gem doesn't honor lifetime 100% warranty. I was forced to give them a star rating, should be zero or less. You will go through hell trying to give them all they ask from you, then will not honor the product. Couple years worth of trying to get help from the installer (Best Improvement, Paul **) and his supplier, (Duane **). They wouldn't return my calls. Lots of sleepless nights for me. Hope their businesses close down!

Original review: May 10, 2019

Our new house was build in fall of 2017 with Georgia Pacific Caliber High Performance Siding manufactured by Ply Gem. This is the most expensive siding GP sells with a Ply Gem lifetime warranty. Within 9 months sections of siding all over the house became wavy and discolored. It seems like the siding is delaminating from insulation backing. The distributor (Blue Link) and manufacturer (Ply Gem) reps came to the house and inspected the issue (Sept 2018) and said this was known issue due to a quality issue at Ply Gem. Samples of the bad siding were sent to Ply Gem (Sept 2018) for testing to process the warranty claim. I have followed up with Blue Link/Ply Gem multiple times since Sept 2018 and have received so many excuses for lack of progress on our claim. They won't even provide me the claim number.

1.) The person who handles the claim is out on medical leave.
2.) They lost the sample of siding.
3.) They moved their warranty department.
4.) They lost the test report.
5.) It might be installation related. The guys (Ply Gem and Blue Link reps) who inspected the house said it IS NOT an installation issue.

6.) They say they have never seen this before. (The reports on the is web site conclude differently)

Now I have been dealing with Keith ** (Regional Sales Manager Ply Gem). I am still getting the runaround. It is now May 2019 and our siding looks horrible! We have a new house with high performance expensive siding and have to come home and see our horrible looking siding everyday. Don't buy GP or Ply Gem siding!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My siding has faded horribly in one year! Their Minnesota rep. ABC siding, contractor Barc Industries and Mastic rep. Have done ZERO! I've had siding come off house twice! Fading bad! Installed wrong with seams open showing plywood behind it and not enough expansion room in other spots cause waving of siding. Battling this garbage over a year. Never again.

Ply Gem Company Information