Raleigh, North Carolina

2.9/5 (138 ratings)

About Ply Gem

Ply Gem manufactures vinyl siding in a variety of styles and materials, as well as gutters, fascia and soffit. It also offers windows, doors, stone and other home exterior products. Check out Ply Gem online to find out if it’s available in your area.

Ply Gem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ply Gem?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

My siding that came with the new home faded way too quickly for only being 5 years old. I reached out to Ply Gem and they had me send in samples of fade and they denied my claim. They stated environmental factors affect to where you live, so that is their catch all to prevent a claim. I have pictures I would gladly share, and you decide for yourself if Ply Gem is right for your home. My last home was over 20yrs old and only had a slight fade which is expected. BTW Ply Gemm stopped making this siding I have. It has a bead on it that retains water and causes mold to grow.

Hello, Mark.

We apologize for the issues with your siding. The siding on your home has not been discontinued nor do we have a record of mold growing in the bead. As well, we have spoken with the claims team. You should have received a letter explaining why your siding did not meet the terms of excessive fade. Please note you are welcome to submit additional samples at any time for as long as you own the home should you feel the condition has worsened. Thank you.

Original review: July 19, 2022

We purchased these as replacement windows in 2005, and replaced one in 2011 due to a forced entry/burglary. That window, as well as a huge picture window in our living room, are extremely filmy and look terrible. Reached out to Best Buy, who we purchased through, and they directed us to reach out to Ply Gem directly. Sadly, they also "wished us luck" with the situation. I called over three months ago, was emailed a warranty claim form which I immediately filled out and sent back in. Followed up two months later, then again three months later, to two different people. I have also followed up with phone calls, and have not heard back from anyone.

I have seen other reviews similar to mine, so clearly there is an issue with warranty service, customer service, getting back with people, etc. If you are overwhelmed with warranty claims and can't even get back with people even to say you're working on it, please try and identify the problem and fix it. Is it that difficult to respond to an email or phone call? I work in online retail, and our policy is to respond within 24 business hours but we generally do within 8. If you repeatedly try and get in touch with a company and they don't respond to emails or phone calls over a period of 3+ months...do you get the impression that they care about you? I think not. Something tells me if I was trying to purchase new windows I would have a completely different experience.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Donna. We apologize for the delays. Currently, our Customer Service Team is dealing with increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and processing times. If you could respond to this with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim, we'll ask them to look into this for you. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delays. Thank you.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Updated on 11/8/2022: This joke company is a real joke, One year later day to date they answer my request for the warranty to fix a broken glass due to bad installation, they answer with a negative answer that it is not covered and I have to fix it myself. This company Ply Gem does not have any trust to buy warranty from, they don't answer or either answer one year later with no help. We should sue this company for selling untrusted warranty.

Updated on 7/19/2022: Who the hell responds to a claim asking people to post their name, phone number and eMail used???? Since we are there why don't you ask for my social security number???? If you are really honest on resolving this issue you should have mentioned a phone number to contact you and eMail address as well. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AT ALL. THEY ARE A JOKE TO DEAL WITH!!

Original review: I had another worthless company "Quality First" come and install all my windows with 3 panels windows Ply Gem make. After a while one of the window somehow broke probably under pressure of the installation. I sent my warranty to Ply Gem, right away they emailed me back they received my email and asked me to NOT email them again because this will cause delay in the process. I waited 3 weeks nothing from them, I replayed to the email I was sent with a receiving mailbox no response. I emailed them 3 other times no answer the warranty they are talking doesn't exist in my opinion and this company Ply Gem should be sued selling a warranty they don't honor.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Zino. We apologize for the delays. Currently, our Customer Service Team is dealing with increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and processing times. If you could respond to this with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim, we'll ask them to look into this for you. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delays. Thank you.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Without a doubt this is the WORST company to do business with. After ordering $40,000.00 worth of doors and windows, waiting their long lead times, only for the doors and windows to arrive Missing Parts. Now I'm told I have to wait another 6 weeks to get the missing parts. They absolutely do not care about their customer. I would never buy from them again!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

The ultraviolet sealant that is applied between the two panes of glass on my sliding glass door started coming off leaving unsightly blotches. Ply Gem refuses to cover the labor cost to install replacement of the two year old door.

Ply Gem response

Hello. We apologize for the issues with your sliding glass door. Please contact the Customer Service Team directly at 888-975-9436 for information on warranty coverage and further assistance with this issue. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

The customer service for warranty claims response was horrible. Filed claim for failed window on the 11th of November, 2021 and still waiting for a resolution on February 15th, 2022, I have sent several emails to inquire about the status of my claim, and no response was received from the two emails that were sent. Horrible customer service.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Maynard. We apologize for the issues you've had contacting our team. They've been experiencing increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and processing times. You may contact them by phone at 888-975-9436. Otherwise, please send an email to Social@cornerstone-bb.com from the original email address used with your Name and Phone Number and we will ask them to look into this for you immediately. Again, we sincerely apologize. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Bought a window and installed it. After inspecting it closer we realized it was missing the locking latch. We wanted ply gem to send a replacement part so we sent a support email. After 3 months, still no response. Will have to purchase a new window from the store, take the latch off and return it.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Stefan. We apologize for the issues you've had contacting our Customer Service Team. You may contact them by phone at 888-975-9436. Otherwise, please send an email to Social@plygem.com from the original email address used with your Name and Phone Number and we will ask them to look into this for you. Again, we sincerely apologize. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

New house with Dual Pane Windows from Ply Gem: rivets rusting within 6 months of installation. Ply Gem said it won't replace with stainless steel ones even though we offered to buy them. Condensation forms on frame corners and windows at any spring/fall/winter temperature if humidity of house is not the same as outside. Ply Gem response is for us to open our windows until humidity equals outside. How does this make for an energy efficient house? Window blinds get so hot in the summer they collapse if I try to partially open blinds from top to bottom. Have a smaller bedroom with two windows in it. Room is 3 degrees colder than the rest of the house. Builder says to put an extra heater in the room??? Worse windows we have ever had.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Meeko. We are sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your Ply Gem purchase and warranty coverage. We would like to try to assist. Please send your Name, Phone Number, Email Address, and Order Number to social@plygem.com. Also, would you be able to additional provide photos of the issues you're having too? Again, we sincerely apologize. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

4 windows have broken glass. 2 have the wrong size glass. 1” short. Never seen this before. 1 has the glass not in the frame. Most windows have the gaskets pushed under the glass. Caulk is all over the frames and glass. I would never buy this brand again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Submitted warranty claim in July 2021 with immediate automated response of receiving the claim. No other contact. I called Plygem Customer service in September and was told not to even expect a reply to the claim until at least October. No one would help me figure out how to get a replacement window. Still waiting. Their window warranty program stinks.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Ply Gem did not honor the warranty on windows and has unethical employees and management. The matter of honoring the warranty was presented in court and they were ordered to pay for the replacement windows. This information can be verified as the court documents were filed along with the court case with the award for the money that is due. Plygem has advised that I should request the warranty from the builder and the warranty card states that Plygem must honor the warranty. The company does not honor the warranty. Buyer beware with the behavior.

Original review: June 10, 2021

We are having a new home built in Florida, by Taylor Morrison in Esplanade. They are contracted with Ply Gem windows, our permit was issued on 1/6/21, and we were told the order was placed within 2 weeks.. Our expected delivery date was 2/25/21... it is now 6/10/21 and still no windows.. This is a new development and we are seeing all the other homes around us (permitted way after us) have their Ply Gem windows installed and are moving forward..

So, as a consumer, we have to say this is a complete and utter failure by this vendor.. Our home is being delayed for months because of this companies inability to manufacture 10 windows and 2 sliding glass doors.. Whoever is managing the site in the Clermont, FL location should be fired immediately. An absolute disgrace, and we as buyers, get to take the brunt of their mismanaged, useless organization. This company can go to hell as far as we're concerned. Their extreme delay is costing us thousands of dollars and "angry" does not even come close to how we, as buyers, feel.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Russell. We sincerely apologize for the delays you've faced. If you could reply to this with the Order Number of your windows and your contact information we will ask the Customer Service Team to look into this and contact you. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delays and any inconvenience. Thank you.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I built my house on 2012. I contacted the company in 2018 and again this past month. Although my quiet willow greenhouse is now gray and has no green hue left to it. They have rejected my claim due to the color change not being within their warranty requirements. They state that the issue is due to gloss loss.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I had 20+ windows installed on my house in December of 2018. All the screens had the tabs break after 4 months. The window in the bedroom broke in the middle of the night. Not hit by anything, inside dual pane. I have been trying for a year and half jumping through all the hoops and stall tactics, send in this and that, take pictures, not the right manufacturer, San Pedro, east coast, west coast. Well it's not going to work. I am not going to give up and just eat all the defects. I have been contacting Toby at Cornerstone and Home Depot and an assorted other companies that Plygem keeps sending me to. The windows are PLYGEM and I want you to warrant this product. I paid an enormous price for these windows and they are thus far JUNK.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Do to a recall on their Harbor Grey color I sent a siding sample in to the company as it was almost white on the 2 front gables facing South. I was blown away as to their response that they determined that this was normal wear and fading. Keep in mind that this siding is only 5 years old.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Do NOT purchase Ply Gem steel siding. I realize siding expands and contracts from temperature or sunlight exposure but this stuff makes a ticking sound at every nail location all day, every day when it does. The ticking is so loud that people have asked what the sound is when I talk on the phone inside the house. Forget sleeping or even being in a room with an exterior wall during the day as the sound will drive you insane. It occurs as soon as sunlight shines on it and will continue literally all day long until sunset. Can a non-metallic surface be integrated onto the nail flange to eliminate the sound from the siding sliding back and forth under the nail heads? Plastic washers? I know other houses in our development have steel siding and don't have this issue. I am actually praying for a large hailstorm so I can replace this with something else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I installed Ply Gem siding on my house, it faded, they provided some new siding, I had to pay for the rest of it out of pocket, it cost $10,000 and they only paid for 1/3 of it, and when I asked about it, Dina who has the worst customer service attitude I have ever encountered, started yelling at me, telling me that I was lucky they gave me anything at all. It took almost a year to get the warranty completed. I would never use them again. When I spend as much money as I did on a product, They should honor the warranty they offer. Dina ** who was the rep should be fired for her attitude with me. I am sure I am not the only one she spoke to like that. I'm so sorry I bought this product.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Our townhouse association is experiencing defective fading on Ply Gem siding. We have been working with the Ply Gem sales manager for over 1 year to have 3 year old defective siding that has become splotchy and faded replaced. The latest sample was sent to warranty services almost 2 months ago and they have not approved the replacement. I was told approval would be in 2 weeks. I have sent 16 emails to the sales manager and several phone calls. This company is holding up the installer and other owners' home sales. I would never advise doing business with this company.

Hi Connie,

I appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We apologize for the trouble you've had getting your replacement and would like to try to make things right, so please let me know if you’d like me to have our customer service team look into this for you. I'd be happy to connect you with the right person.

Thank you!

Original review: March 25, 2020

Do your research before you buy from this Manufacturer, they do not stand behind their product, vinyl siding. At least, they will do whatever they can to result in a claim being denied. They choose to lay blame on the installers or the homeowner.

Hi Chase,

I appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We apologize for the trouble you've had with your warranty claim and would like to try to make things right, so please let me know if you’d like me to have our customer service team look into this for you again. I'd be happy to connect you with the right person.

Thank you!

Resolution response: April 8, 2020

Thank you so much PlyGem!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My house is less than 2 years old and my soffit is already flaking. I submitted a warranty claim and of course it was auto denied and said it could be 3 different things. I filed a BBB complaint as well and no response. It's an outdoor product yet they blame it on conditions or something from another item on the house or salt air. Isn't your product made to withstand the elements since it's an outdoor product? Guess not. I would never use any of their products if that's the case.

Ply Gem response

Hi Tim, we are so sorry to hear about your experience. Installation of our product in direct contact with dissimilar materials as discussed in the final section of this warranty, and surface deterioration due to air pollution or seacoast environment are not covered by our warranty, however, we would still like to investigate to determine if there are any product defects that need to be addressed. Additionally, we would like to review the order, so we can also follow-up with the building pro who installed the siding. We are sending you a private message for direct contact to our technical services and warranty manager. Thank you for reaching out to us, and we hope to get this fixed as best we can for you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

The thing I liked the most with the having the siding was there was no maintenance or not having to paint anymore. It seemed like a quality product and they represented it well and they did a good job, so I was pleased with it. It looks good. I like it. They represented themselves in a professional manner. There was a few things that went on with the installer that I wasn’t happy with, but the company representative got it corrected and made it right. So they handled themselves well. The cost was a little high, but it is what it is. You can't buy anything for a dollar anymore.

Hi, Allen!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We love hearing that you are pleased with the quality of our siding, even if the price is a little high, as well pleased with our professionalism. We're always happy to help with anything. Please feel free to reach back out to us if you ever need anything else.

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Everything was A-plus. Halde installed the siding and they did a wonderful job. If Ply Gem wanted somebody to represent their company, they do a wonderful job. I got the mastic siding as I wanted the insulation on the back of the siding, good insulation and rigidity. The quality is really great.

Hi, Kyle!

Thank you so much for leaving this kind review! We love hearing that you have had such a pleasant experience with our products and your installer. Thank you for choosing Ply Gem Mastic siding! :)

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I got a Mastic siding, and I liked it very much. I bought the larger panels, and I like it on the house. The installation took 2 days and it looks great. The cost and quality was right in line with each other.

Hi, Pam!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review with such kind words! We love hearing that you are pleased with the quality and cost of our Mastic siding. Thank you for choosing us and being a Ply Gem customer!

Morgan

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Ply Gem Siding's people were very professional and cleaned up very well. So far, the siding's quality has been okay. And after it was applied, my house looks wonderful. I'd tell others to get Ply Gem Siding.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I liked the price and color at Ply Gem Mastic Siding and I had the siding put in six months ago. It looks great and it has good quality. Also, it was a fair cost. My home looks better now.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Last year, we used Ply Gem Siding and did half of our house. We did it via Home Depot where we purchased a turnkey installation. The contractor they sent did a very good job and was meticulous. This year we went back to get the second half completed and Home Depot no longer did installations of the product. We wanted a turnkey package and we happen to have the local distributor’s paperwork from the delivery from the year prior. We called them up and asked them if they had some recommendations and we got a few. Finally, we chose Carolina Pro Exteriors who appeared to be the most organized going in. In the end, the job was fine, but we did have many issues along the way. There was a lack of supervision on their part for their crew, who worked hard but did not speak English as their first language

Initially, their crew did not cut the product properly. They were using thin snips hand shears. The people that did it the year before were very specific about needing a rotary style saw because of the Styrofoam backing. If you try to cut it with shears, that Styrofoam snaps and breaks. And the purpose of having the Styrofoam-backed product is to have it continuously behind where the siding is, not snapped off and broken off. We had to call Carolina, put a stop-work until they came out and understood. Then they cut some wires to our existing irrigation controller. We told them that had to be fixed before they put up the siding completely, which they didn’t do. They had to get somebody out to fix it.

Around our back porch area, we had wiring installed behind the channel of our aluminum framing for the porch. When they put up the siding, they let the room’s wiring hang outside of it. Carolina Pro Exteriors made it all right, in the end, but there could’ve been a little more cutting on the cost. They over-ordered the material, which drove the price. It was several thousand dollars more than the prior year.

We live on a golf course. The house is 15 years old and the old siding was getting a little brittle and some on the back have taken golf ball shots and had just holes in them. You could replace pieces but over the years, the color would never match. Ply Gem Siding is way more impact-resistant. We also looked at Hardie Board. We have another neighbor who has it and while it is somewhat impact-resistant, if a golf ball hits it very hard, it leaves a round dimple on the Hardie Board. So far, we have not seen any damage from the impacts we have had. I believe the Styrofoam backing gives just a little bit but doesn’t let the vinyl crack.

When we had a porch renovation, we used some of the excess siding to add to appeal so that it looks like it was a uniform job all the way around. We’re very happy with the product, which was why we chose it again. It is performing very well for our house and for the application that we specifically wanted to use it for. We’re very satisfied with the way it looks and it provides a better insulation factor.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I did a research online to see what would be the best product for what I needed and I went with Ply Gem Siding Group. The rep I worked with knew what he was talking about. He came and sat down with us for about an hour in one day and he came out a couple of times. I ended up going with a sandstone color and our home looked absolutely better now that we have new Mastic siding. They did wrap the house for the vapor barrier, so the quality seems really good. And we have noticed some decrease in our electric bill.

The subcontractor guy did great work, but there was one instance when he came to work one morning and the weather wasn't really great. He said, "Well, we should be able to work by noon." I said, "That'd be great. You can get in like four hours." When I came back in the house and looked out the window, he was driving off. He didn't say anything and he left for the rest of the day. He could've come to the front door and said something.

Once the installation was all done and everything was complete, there were a couple of little issues that came up that, after a while, you find stuff after you just walk into it. Ply Gem was good about getting the contractor back out here the next day to fix that issue. As a matter of fact, I just found the problem another day, and they sent the guy out the next morning and took care of it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Ply Gem is a local company and they’ve been around forever. I saw a commercial on TV one day and I said that I would call them and talk to them. Our house was already the color that we selected and I built a garage years ago, and had that siding on the garage. When Ply Gem came out, they had one matching identical, so that’s where we went. World of Windows people came out and put in all the windows and doors in a day. They didn't even disrupt us and we didn't have to do anything. They cleaned up, didn't make any kinda mess, and in a couple days, the guy showed up with the vinyl siding, and they went to work on it. It might have taken them two days. My home looks wonderful with the siding. It's great and we love it. We’re very satisfied and we’re very happy with Ply Gem.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Ply Gem was recommended by the construction team. I wrote a check and the construction crew handled everything. We got some kind of antique gray siding and it looks good.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

The siding we got does a lot to the look of our home because it blends in with the background. We liked the color and when we made the purchase, we had a very good experience with their representative. The siding was a little bit more expensive because we picked such a dark shade and when it's so dark, they have to do anti-fade. But we totally understand that. It was reasonable and it was our choice.

Ply Gem Company Information