Raleigh, North Carolina

2.9/5 (136 ratings)

About Ply Gem

Ply Gem manufactures vinyl siding in a variety of styles and materials, as well as gutters, fascia and soffit. It also offers windows, doors, stone and other home exterior products. Check out Ply Gem online to find out if it’s available in your area.

Top Ply Gem Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything was A-plus. Halde installed the siding and they did a wonderful job. If Ply Gem wanted somebody to represent their company, they do a wonderful job. I got the mastic si...

Verified

The experience I had with Ply Gem was excellent. Their sales team was very pleasant and efficient. Additionally, the people who did the installation were delightful… It was a hard...

What is Ply Gem?

Ply Gem is a manufacturer that specializes in the production, sale and installation of vinyl siding and home exterior products. It represents several top brands and offers a comprehensive selection with thousands of color, material and texture choices. Its product line includes:

• Siding
  • Shutters and accents
  • Gutters
  • Trim
  • Molding

Ply Gem sells lap, insulated, vertical and shake and shingle siding, in a range of materials including vinyl, steel and aluminum, as well as stone veneer exterior and interior accents. You can upload photos to preview designs for your home using its interactive design tool. Ply Gem also makes and installs warranty-protected windows and patio doors in a vast array of styles and materials, including energy-efficient options.

Ply Gem offers SolarDefense reflective technology siding, which protects from UV rays and is guaranteed not to fade. This siding increases energy efficiency and is made of recyclable material. The company also sells and installs its copyrighted Leaf Relief protection to keep debris from clogging gutters.

How does Ply Gem work?

Ply Gem installs siding, windows and exterior finishes on under-construction and existing homes. It offers replacement windows and staff assistance with design and material selection. You can choose a local professional installer via the website or arrange a contractor visit with a distributor for material pickup. You can’t purchase Ply Gem products on the website — if you’re interested in the company, let your contractor know.

When you shop for windows or doors online, Ply Gem will help you find the best options for new products or replacements and customize your solutions for optimum function and style.

Ply Gem window prices

Ply Gem doesn’t list pricing on its website, so you’ll have to contact a local contractor or supplier for product and service cost info, but its window prices range from $125 to $1,650 per unit. You can find a local installer with the search tool on the website; if you’re a professional interested in carrying Ply Gem, contact the company through the website or by phone.

Ply Gem FAQ

Who makes Ply Gem windows?
Cornerstone Building Brands owns the Ply Gem brand and makes Ply Gem windows.
How much do Ply Gem windows cost?
Pricing for Ply Gem windows varies by supplier due to installation costs. Unit prices range from $125 to $1,650 per window.
Are Ply Gem windows Energy Star-certified?
Many Ply Gem windows meet Energy Star standards, but requirements for Energy Star certification vary by climate area.
Does Home Depot sell Ply Gem windows?
Home Depot offers a limited selection of Ply Gem windows, including vinyl double-hung and sliding options.
How do you clean Ply Gem windows?
Clean vinyl Ply Gem windows with soap and water or non-abrasive cleaners for stubborn stains. Spray screens with water or a vacuum to remove dust. The Ply Gem website provides detailed instructions on how to remove windows to clean sashes.

Is Ply Gem good?

Ply Gem offers a comprehensive selection of siding colors and styles. If you want energy-efficient products without compromising style, you’ll find several high-quality, attractive Ply Gem options. The company’s SolarDefense technology is guaranteed to resist fading and distortion while reflecting sunlight to keep your home cooler. Ply Gem’s siding products are also backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

Ply Gem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ply Gem?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I bought this house brand new two years ago, and we had all Ply Gem windows put in. This house is supposed to be the most energy-efficient and well-built custom home by homes by Dickerson but that will be another review. Three or four months ago, I noticed three of my windows in the front had been cracked. I looked it up, and they are known for exploding at random. The Ply Gem website says, no problem windows are covered for 8 to 10 years for random pops/cracks in the window. What a relief right?

I filled out the claim months later they replied saying they wouldn't replace those windows but send a single piece of glass for the leaked gas one. What am I supposed to do with a single piece of glass? No offer to get a window company to fix it? Nothing. Terrible windows (guess that is why they are in home depot), terrible customer service, and I'll keep posting 1-star reviews till you lose enough customers to make up for what you cheated out of me.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Our home is only 7 years old. Our home has Ply Gem vinyl siding. It has all warped in the rear of the home that faces the sun. The siding has a lifetime warranty on it. I filed a claim. They denied it saying it must have been caused by window glare on it. So are they saying houses can't come with windows? I plan to file a complaint with the MN Attorney office tomorrow.

Ply Gem response

Please contact the Customer Service Team at 888-975-9436 for further action. Thank you

Get buying tips about Siding delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I recently had a house built which included 33 Ply Gem single hung windows. I moved into the home in late Dec 2021. On 16 Apr 2022 I submitted the PAINFUL online warranty claim form for 4 windows having manufacturing flaws. I received no acknowledgement from PlyGem that the form was received. SO, I followed up on Apr 27 2022 requesting confirmation of receipt of the warranty claim. NO RESPONSE from PlyGem. I followed up again on 18 May and again no reply. The PlyGem site had online that due to the supply chain disruption resulting for covid that PlyGem warranty claims were backlogged and that it would be "sometime" before warranty claims could be serviced.

It is now 13 Oct and I am following up with PlyGem for the 3rd time to ascertain the status of my warranty claim. This time I DID receive a response from the warranty department, only to be told that there is no claim in their system and I would need to resubmit a claim. Let me tell you, the warranty claim form is extremely painful. Good luck if you have to submit a claim with PlyGem.

Additionally, I have contacted the local supplier requesting their assistance. Their warranty claim representative can’t get PlyGem to send the parts/service their requests for warranty. PlyGem has provided to the local supplier two projected ship dates (Sep 8 and Oct 6 2022). Both dates have come and gone with nothing from PlyGem. While speaking with the local supplier representative he expresses his frustration in dealing with PlyGem warranty department. Bottom line: I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the windows as the “finish” quality is, shall we say, of low quality and I am likewise extremely disappointed with the warranty claim process. My recommendation is to find another window manufacturer to purchase your windows and doors.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Jeffrey. We apologize for the delays with your claim. The automated claim confirmation can be routed away from your email inbox to spam or junk, and occasionally autodeleted depending on your email provider. Please respond with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim so we may ask the Customer Service Team to look into this for you. We assure you they are working as quickly and efficiently as possible to get through all claims. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Updated on 11/10/2022: As a follow up to PLY GEM: I spoke to a "Juan **" in customer service. He informed me that my case worker "Josh" would follow up in January with me. I told him this is awful service and he laughed and hung up on me after I asked for Josh's contact information. The rainy season has started and my new "warranty covered" window has failed. I guess my next step is to call my attorney and find out my options.

Original Review: I purchased Ply Gem windows through a local retailer. I ordered in May to ensure delivery in October (more than the state 4-6 week lead time needed). I received a call that they would be late. Then a follow up saying December, then January. When I went to cancel the order in December, they magically arrived the next day. It took the contractor 3 months to receive and install 11 windows. Now we are 1.5 years later and have a failed window. I have been informed that it will take up to 12 months to get a service team out. I guess the warranty is a race between "we hope you forget about this" and actually "fix" the failed window. I did call the local retailer in August. I was told that Ply Gem is hoping to enter my service request by 10/28/22. I have since sent a message asking who my attorney can call.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Andrew. We apologize for the issues with your windows. Our Customer Service Team is currently experiencing increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and extended processing times. They are in no way hoping you forget the issue. We can assure you they are working as quickly and efficiently to process all forms of communication. Once they have processed your claim you will be contacted for more information. Again, we apologize. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

I am having a horrible experience with this company. I ordered a Ply Gem sliding glass door in December of 2021. 10 months later, I am awaiting the 4th sliding glass door replacement to arrive and be installed because the first three were damaged and missing parts. The first slider was bowed and the slider door did not close because the frame was bowed. It also arrived missing the screen door completely. I waited almost 2 months the for this to be delivered and then waited another two months for the replacement door to be delivered. That 2nd door was also bowed just like the first and would not close properly. It also arrived with a deep large scratch on the handle. Additionally, this door was missing the white edging to hold the glass in place as well as the screws to hold the back edge in place. The screen was also defecting and does not open and close properly.

Ply Gem's service tech came out and confirmed that the door was completely bowed and damaged and ordered a new one. I waited another month and a half for that door to arrive and it sat in my garage for a month before they could get their tech out to install it. Sure enough the tech arrives and discovered that the sliding glass door was the wrong size by over a foot and he had to order a new one. That was 5 weeks ago and I have heard nothing from Ply Gem about it. They have been unresponsive to my communication. Their service throughout this whole fiasco has been very poor. They take weeks to respond and sometimes longer despite multiple attempts on my part to reach them. They have not once acknowledged their errors or issued any sort of apology. The whole situation has been a nightmare and I deeply regret ever purchasing their product.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Gabe. We sincerely apologize for the issues and delays you’re experiencing. We are experiencing significant volume increases across all channels in the market and are adjusting lead times accordingly. Please send an email to social@cornerstone-bb.com with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim so we may ask the Customer Service Team to look into this for you. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

Two of the windows in our new home leaked when the outsides were washed. It took Ply Gem 14 weeks to respond to warranty request. Agent said our case was low priority because leaks are not warrantied. Service tech was great, and then he said Ply Gem windows are poor quality.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Barry. We sincerely apologize for the delays you experienced. We are experiencing significant volume increases across all channels in the market resulting in delayed processing times. Please send an email to social@cornerstone-bb.com with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim so we may ask the Customer Service Team to look into this for you if you need further assistance. Thank you!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

One star for the price being cheaper than the rest. We bought 3 of these windows from Home Depot on 8/28/2022 and had them installed about a week or so later. The stopper is not great on these, since within days of the install one of the windows was opened a little too much and now it just slides down when you try to open it. Yesterday we had a flooring guy open one of the other windows and the same thing happened to it so now we have 2 broken windows (and too scared to open the 3rd) and we are not even done building out the room. I tried to call Ply Gem's warranty department since I filled out the form over a week ago and have not gotten a reply back, and I explained how this is holding up production on our project, and they said the reason I haven't gotten a reply back is because it can take up to 30 days.

They said even if they expedite it, it could still take up to 10 days or more since our situation is not considered an emergency. We could have the contractor remove the windows and take them back to Home Depot but that will cost us quite a bit extra since they would have to cut into the siding that they have already installed and redo the work of reinstalling the new windows. So now I will just have the contractor finish the project with the broken windows installed and hope that when the warranty department calls me back that they will just send us the parts we need to get them working right. What a horrible design on these windows and the warranty taking this long to respond is just bad business, in my opinion. I would not recommend these windows. We got what we paid for; Cheap Windows.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Claudia. We apologize for the issues you've encountered with your windows. Our warranty claims are currently delayed as you were told as the Customer Service Team has been receiving increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and processing times. If you do submit a claim and have further questions, you can get more information at 888-975-9436. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Our old vinyl siding was 24 years old with no issues. We decided to change the siding for appearance reasons. We were sold on Ply Gem and it failed within the first year. We struggled to get the rep out to see the sun damage. When he finally did, there was no follow up, just a claim letter from Ply Gem saying its not a failure on their part. We have tried to reach out to both the rep and the claims department with no success. This product is inferior to all other products and the customer support is even worse. We now have siding on the south side of our house that has completely deformed and they will not stand behind their product. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Mike. We apologize you are dissatisfied with the results of the warranty claim. The Customer Service Team has stated the damages exhibited are consistent with that which is caused by an excessive external heat source onto the siding. If you believe this to be incorrect or have any questions, please contact our office at 800-800-2244. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

My siding that came with the new home faded way too quickly for only being 5 years old. I reached out to Ply Gem and they had me send in samples of fade and they denied my claim. They stated environmental factors affect to where you live, so that is their catch all to prevent a claim. I have pictures I would gladly share, and you decide for yourself if Ply Gem is right for your home. My last home was over 20yrs old and only had a slight fade which is expected. BTW Ply Gemm stopped making this siding I have. It has a bead on it that retains water and causes mold to grow.

Hello, Mark.

We apologize for the issues with your siding. The siding on your home has not been discontinued nor do we have a record of mold growing in the bead. As well, we have spoken with the claims team. You should have received a letter explaining why your siding did not meet the terms of excessive fade. Please note you are welcome to submit additional samples at any time for as long as you own the home should you feel the condition has worsened. Thank you.

Original review: July 19, 2022

We purchased these as replacement windows in 2005, and replaced one in 2011 due to a forced entry/burglary. That window, as well as a huge picture window in our living room, are extremely filmy and look terrible. Reached out to Best Buy, who we purchased through, and they directed us to reach out to Ply Gem directly. Sadly, they also "wished us luck" with the situation. I called over three months ago, was emailed a warranty claim form which I immediately filled out and sent back in. Followed up two months later, then again three months later, to two different people. I have also followed up with phone calls, and have not heard back from anyone.

I have seen other reviews similar to mine, so clearly there is an issue with warranty service, customer service, getting back with people, etc. If you are overwhelmed with warranty claims and can't even get back with people even to say you're working on it, please try and identify the problem and fix it. Is it that difficult to respond to an email or phone call? I work in online retail, and our policy is to respond within 24 business hours but we generally do within 8. If you repeatedly try and get in touch with a company and they don't respond to emails or phone calls over a period of 3+ months...do you get the impression that they care about you? I think not. Something tells me if I was trying to purchase new windows I would have a completely different experience.

Ply Gem response

Hello, Donna. We apologize for the delays. Currently, our Customer Service Team is dealing with increased volumes across all channels in the market resulting in delayed responses and processing times. If you could respond to this with the Name, Phone Number, and Email Address used on your claim, we'll ask them to look into this for you. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delays. Thank you.

Ply Gem Company Information