Ply Gem Siding Group

53people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Ply Gem Siding Group:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

A tornado came thru our area 2011 and destroyed all my siding that had been on for 15 years and still looked good. That is when the installer recommended Ply Gem stating it was the very best siding and the warranty exceeded all his expectations. Five years later we noticed some greasy like stains running down the backside. Installer came out stated it was dirty to wash with TSP/TIDE/CAR WASH BRUSH & WATER. We did 5 times, still no changes. Then the sales rep Ken came out and took pictures & gave me a claim form said something was definitely wrong, he even tried cleaning with 409 which I was told to never do. Then I had to remove a 2 foot section of siding and send in at my own expense. Claim was denied stating it was due to elements in the air and the warrant does not cover that.

I spoke with a Jennifer ** who I thought was the rudest person on earth, not willing to help and just mean. I asked to speak to her Supervisor which was Justin **, he would not return my calls so I sent him a email. Explained first how rude Jennifer was and that I was not happy about the denial that I expected more after paying $11,000 for siding. He sent me an email back within 10 minutes and CC Jennifer stating that there is no manufacturing defect that if I want to send in another sample they would look at it. There was no apology on his part but he was making sure to CC Jennifer in to show that he stood behind her decision. All the supervisors that I have ever worked for would never CC another employee that someone was having a problem with. Just shows you what kind of company they are. STAY AWAY!!!

Moisture began to enter my house resulting in mold behind and on drywall in 5 different locations a year after it was built 8 years ago. The source appears to be some of the 80+ vinyl Ply Gem windows Winchester installed. Most of the sills have swelled up so the screens do not fit anymore. Neither Ply Gem nor Winchester is willing to accept responsibility. Ply Gem says it is due to the bricks pushing up from under the sill. This may have broken the seals under the sill on each corner possibly resulting in moisture in the basement. Winchester says it is normal for Ply Gem windows to swell as they are cheap, substandard vinyl windows.

According to Winchester, if the window frame seals (not the window pane seals) located at each corner of and under the sill were broken, rain water would leak onto the sill resulting in water marks which can be seen by a person standing inside the house. According to Winchester, a broken seal (not the window pane seal) would not result in water going down to the basement behind the drywall. Therefore, according to Winchester, since there are no water marks, the seals under the sill are still intact. It has been very aggravating and frustrating working with Winchester's and Ply Gem's warranty departments. Each is blaming the other and neither is willing to do anything. My recommendation is that if you are thinking of buying a Winchester home or Ply Gem windows, think twice.

I installed Mastic siding on my home over ten tears ago. It has withstood very high winds (over 100 mph) and two inch hail (not together) with no damage whatsoever. Living in the Omaha area, we get extended periods of hot, sunny weather from May thru September. My siding has not faded or warped. I am very pleased with my Ply Gem siding, and the installation.

I purchased over 20 windows and one is defective! The windows were purchased as brown vinyl and the defective one is now grey with white ash like streaks/undertones! It's set in the same stone work as another Ply Gem window; however, the other window doesn't have this appearance/problem. The lumber yard that I purchased these windows from has re-purchased the window. However, Ply Gem still will not pay to have the window re-installed although it's a warranty issue. I have volunteered to replace my own stone work just to get this horrible situation behind us, BUT Ply Gem has obviously decided that this is my problem, not theirs!

No one will return my phone call (I have left 3 this week for who is said to be their field supervisor Dale **) and have not heard anything. Their service tech came out on 2/11/16 and 2/12/16 and I have not heard a word since! Service tech suggested we paint the window and when my husband told him that wasn't going to happen on a window that faces the front of our beautiful home, the tech proceeded to use good off and a oil "lubricant" to coverup the white steaks! The next day it bleed back through and the service tech took pictures as proof for his upper management to review. It's awful that I have to go to these measures to get a warranty issue resolved!

Very, very unhappy with vinyl siding. 7 years old, dusty and nasty to the touch, faded, and either the walls behind it are warped or the siding is warped. Cannot get any help from the installers or the manufacturers as they blame each other.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ply Gem Siding Group, Kansas City, KS?

Same story as Trisha has written below. Horrible warranty and customer service with Ply Gem. As soon as they get your money you are nothing to them. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with your siding. They make the home owner jump through many hoops to get a claim accepted. Photos, CD's if you can, description, and please send a sample in an 8x11 envelope they provide but you have to pay for shipping and if you would like your sample back please include a pre-paid self-addressed envelope. Let alone a sample of siding will not fit into an 8x11 envelope, so now you are shipping an oversized package when all these should be covered by Ply Gem.

I have an idea. Back your product up, send a rep or area manager to the home with the issue, take your own pictures of your faulty product, take what sample you would like because sending the homeowner a tool to take it off with no experience is ridiculous. Leaving a piece of missing siding on your house looks real attractive on a newly sided house. Should not be our issue to remove and send your product. Stand behind it besides offering a 10-year or lifetime warranty. Be prepared to support it.

Our siding has started to wrinkle. First of all, I called customer service and spoke to **. She was very rude and unhelpful. I submitted a claim, and I was required to cut off a piece of my siding and pay to mail it in. Now my house looks bad, not only because the siding is wrinkling, but also because the white tyvek is exposed because I had to mail in a piece of the siding. Which, by the way, I had to pay to ship the defective siding to have it reviewed by the technical department. Even if they found it was a manufacturing failure, they would not have paid for the shipping. I think that is terrible.

I finally got a letter back saying it is not product manufacturing failure, but instead it is due to an excessive external heat source. Basically my neighbor's window is reflecting heat onto our house...which by the way, is very common. When you google melting due to excessive external heat, there are a number of articles saying it is because the Vinyl Siding is not built to handle high temperatures and it melts and distorts.

There are MANY claims every year that are submitted and the manufacturers like Ply Gem do nothing to better their product. Instead they update their warranty to specifically state they do not hold themselves accountable. Ply Gem is fully aware of the issue and does nothing about it. To me that is extremely unethical. If they weren't aware of the defect that CONTINUES to happen with their product, I would understand. However, they are fully aware, continue to sell the product, and update their warranty to ensure they don't have to pay anything for their bad products. Classy.

All of our premium siding faded out in a few years. We were told it will be covered under our lifetime warranty which is not the warranty you think it is--your siding will be replaced but prorated for part of lifetime and you pay. Jump through a thousand hoops by taking 100 photos, proof of home ownership, and send in siding samples which they tell you might not get back?? And you will deal with the most hateful rude people you have ever experienced in your life!! Stay away from PlyGem!!

On 6/13 I contacted Karen ** at Ply Gem regarding the warranty for my kitchen window. The lock and mechanism to open and close the window broke. The company no longer makes the window and Karen ** stated if they cannot find a part they will need to replace the window because the warranty does cover broken parts in regards to opening and closing the window and the locking mechanism. After emails back and forth from 6/20 to present Karen ** has stopped returning my calls and she has not responded to emails.

In July Ms. ** was on the phone with Jeff from Harry Starr and Son who installed the windows telling him the issue is now between their company and me. He is no longer to be involved. Jeff handed me the phone and Karen ** proceeded to raise her voice and yell at me that I am a liar and she never told my wife and I the company would replace the window for free. I asked her to stop yelling and she proceeded to be rude. I finally covered with her everything she told my wife and I. She stated she would contact me back and has ignored me since. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a company. To be called a liar, yelled at, ignored and left with a window that will not lock and I cannot find a part for is not acceptable.

We had our siding replaced two years ago. Six weeks later the siding had buckled and was lifted. We contacted the company. It took them a year to replace it. Again six weeks later the siding rippled, edges curled and siding buckled which resulted in flapping every time the wind blew. Contacted the company and was told they would warranty it. One year later, after listening to it flap, and having everyone that comes to our house mention how bad it looks, they are now saying they will not warranty it like they said they would.

Today when my husband contacted the company to find out why, the representative yelled at him and was very rude. They said there was no reason they should replace it. We are now faced with the choice of suing the company (which we do not want to do) or residing our home with another product (which we cannot afford to do). I am writing this review because I don't want anyone else to be faced with this situation. Please do not buy anything from this company!

My husband and I had Ply Gem Vinyl siding installed on our home. Within one year, about an 8-row section of it on the south side of our garage developed "stripes." It almost looked like run marks. The "stripes" were much lighter in appearance. After contacting the manufacturer and "jumping through all their hoops," we were informed it was normal weathering and that was not covered under their warranty. We wondered - if it were normal weathering, why didn't it occur in more than one area of that wall and not anywhere else on the entire building? Long story short - I would not recommend this product as it seems subpar, and the manufacturer is unwilling to stand behind their product.

Their siding was installed recently on my home. They were different colors, (supposed to be same color) it looked like a checker board. I complained to the installer. He agreed and stated that Ply Gem would take care of problem and pay to have it fixed. I never heard from either again. I even contacted Ply Gem! In less than one year, the sunny side warped and melted. I had to pay to have it removed and disposed of with an extra fee due to the nature of vinyl siding. Also, if the siding is on fire, it releases poison gases! I replaced using Hardy Board (concrete composite). My advice is, stay away from any Ply Gem product or dealer!

I had Blue GP/Variform Vinyl Siding put on my house. In Sept 2010, I contacted the contractor who installed it because it was still under warranty. After he came to my house to look at it, he than contacted the store where he bought the siding. They sent a Georgia Pacific rep to look at the problem. When the man got here, he drove past the house (he didn't see the numbers) and he turned around. He told me he knew it was the right house because he could see the white dots from the road. The gentleman (didn't give me his name, just said he was sent to look at my siding) seemed to be at awe at the appearance of white "dots" many different sizes all over the house. He continuously called it a "phenomenon". After taking pictures, he removed a piece of the siding which was sent to Mr. Brandon **, Sr. Technical Service Rep.

Mr. ** responded by returning the piece of siding with a letter informing me: The condition about which I have raised concern is specifically excluded by the term of their warranty. I understand and expect normal weathering to exposure to ultraviolet (sun) light, etc. to cause fading, darkening, chalk or acquire a surface accumulation of dirt or stains. Nowhere does the warranty say anything about "white dots". I spoke to a man at the store where the siding was bought two weeks ago. After telling him my concerns, he said he was going to make a couple of calls then he will call me back. He didn't call back, but the man who came to look at it did. I told him he never told me his name, he said "that's okay". He suggested I call Mr. **. Is this how Ply Gem (Georgia Pacific) treat their customers?

I filed a claim in November for melting siding on my home that was installed late September. It seems I get reflection off one of my windows and the reflection is melting the siding. Ply Gem hides behind their warranty because they know this is a problem. Townships are seeing this more and more. All the siding companies have to do is change one component in the siding and the heat rating will go up. I now have a house that I paid $16000 to side that has a melting problem.