Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.70/5

629 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Purchased a house with all Pella windows... our first "Pella window" house. We were thrilled until we realized our 13-year windows were totally rotted (per Pella -"glazing failed"). We were confident they would help replace the "failed" windows. We put too much faith in the Pella name... not only did they not stand behind their product, but wanted to charge us for new replacements, labor, and shipping. Never will we buy another property that has Pella windows!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Began a total window replacement project using Pella windows. Process has been nothing but a nightmare. Substandard performance all the way around. Pella customer service is absolutely the worst group I have ever dealt with. 6 windows have been replaced with Pella. Now after being victimized by Pella we are working on replacing the other 8 with anyone other than Pella. Biggest mistake I have ever made, contacting Pella.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We bought this house built in 2002 three years ago. It has lots of windows; all of them Pella. Twenty one of them are casement windows and are quite large. After we bought the house and started looking closer (our fault for not doing it before - long story), we found water egress on many and rot on some of the windows. We immediately called Pella to have them tell us that they are not responsible for the installation of their great windows. In digging further, we found out that Pella had replace a couple windows only a couple years before we bought the house. The windows in question were already rotten to the point that the ceiling of the rooms below flooded out and the sheet rock had to be replaced. One night when we were away, the ceiling flooded out again. This time, I repaired it myself not knowing what was going to happen.

We then left for a couple months - the house being heated throughout this winter time - to come back with water damage on the floor of the room with the windows and the plaster of the ceiling below being damaged again. This time we decided that before repairing the plaster and all, we would replace the window (three Panes) with a different supplier's window. Even though A and M were of equal quality, we decided to go with M because of price. The new window was installed today the siding which had to be replaced because of this problem with the rot in the Pella window goes up tomorrow. It is incredible to see the difference in quality of the new window compared to the old. I have spoken with several (not Trump here, truly several) people who have/had Pella windows and ALL are unsatisfied with the quality of Pella. Please stay away from these guys.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We recently purchased a new home and the contractor installed a Pella 450 Proline sliding door. FYI - it's not a mistake, the screen door IS supposed to be on the inside track! We did not realize until we actually started using the door that this ingenious design allows bugs inside when you close the door at night. Also, during the winter, snow can build up on the track outside and you won't be able to open the door; it acts like a broomstick in the track that most people use for added security. When I called Pella, they claim the design allows for optimal sealing when the wind blows.

I guess they failed to realize the trade off to that is a house full of bugs and getting locked inside during the winter. I suggested they come up with some type of seal on the outside to prevent bugs from flying in between the glass and provide it at no charge to each of their current Proline customers. Or perhaps a lifetime supply of beetle traps with any Proline purchase! Unfortunately neither will solve the snow problem so maybe limit market availability to the south where it doesn't snow. When we do eventually replace these doors, it likely will not be with Pella. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Had double storm doors installed about 8 years ago and received the Pella warranty for 10 years. They had a wood core and one of them developed a spot that grew over the last year of flaking paint and then exposed wood core. We sent pictures of this hole in the door to Pella with all required information on size and copy of our receipt. Warranty was approved. We were told to go through Lowe's to have the doors measured and so replacements could be sent and installed. This was done and after months of waiting doors were sent to Lowe's and brought out to our house. No hardware was included so the installers advised waiting till everything was together. I called and in a couple weeks the hardware was mailed to me. The installers came back but then told me the doors were too big to fit, though correct measurements were sent in by Lowe's.

To make a long story short, after weeks of calling Lowe's and a Pella representative it was finally determined that our original doors were presumably cut down an inch or so to fit the opening and the warranty was void. This was news to us, not aware they had been modified at all, and also that the warranty we had kept was no good. We were offered a $100 a door if we ordered custom doors. At this point approximately 7 months have passed since our first request for replacement doors was sent to Pella and countless phone calls. We had thought Pella was the gold standard when it came to windows and doors. Not so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

We recently replaced all the windows in our home, 27 in total. We have lived in this house for 30 years in Norwalk, CT and have never been happy with the Acorn sliders, with metal frames that were put in when the house was built. After carefully listening to sales people from Pella and their competition; we decided to go with Max ** from Pella. He offered us a quality product at a reasonable cost. Our project was finished in early June. It was completed on time, with absolutely no problems. There was no damage on the exterior or interior. There was no damage to the existing sills and the crew replaced the exterior with new flashing and Azek material. We couldn't be happier!

The installers, Vladimer and his crew, were extremely neat, and polite and never left until everything was clean, neat and in place. We were called by Max and the office staff to see if we were pleased. We would highly recommend this team to anyone. If you would like to see our windows, please email: **. We would be happy to show them to you.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I purchased the Designer sliding patio door from Pella. After installation was complete and upon inspection, I noted these uneven over-cuts for the hinge pocket for the HGP (hinged glass panel). Pella states that this is normal. The cuts are uneven and are really noticeable. They could easily be covered with a slightly larger molding that covers the rest of the hinge but this might cost Pella a few pennies more. I have attached pictures below so you can see what I didn't before I spent $3300.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Purchased special order windows from Lowe's. Two have panels that don't lock into sash so gap for air. Two windows have manufacturing debris that blocks the drains and prevents window track from draining. Lowe's referred me to Pella customer service. Slow response. Second call I was told that I was low priority because I bought from Lowe's. Service tech called to confirm appt and already was saying that it was probably an installation problem. Not their fault. Came the next day and was no help. Didn't even know how to clean track. Insisted he call boss who explained the procedure to him. He did one and then left. When I complained I was told that they wouldn't be coming back. Deeply disappointed.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I built my home in 2003. The window contract with Pella was in the 6 figures. After 4 years we noted that many of the window sashes were rotted. As the years have passed and the warranty has expired almost all of the windows in my house have rotted and had to be replaced. Adding insult to injury, their service department is unresponsive. How they could still be in business is a mystery? Numerous hand prints between the panes of glass. You would think someone would actually care about what they are selling.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Several years ago we purchased a Pella patio door because of the included shades in the glass. They implied it had thermo pane windows, but it was only dual glass, one being the window and the other enclosing the shade. So we had to pay extra to have the outer glass replaced with a true thermo pane window. Over the years little parts would break, and getting support was difficult. Now the drive unit for the shade movement has broken and after repeated calls to Pella support in Denver, I finally got to talk to a real person. He e-mailed part lists, and I responded with the exact part I needed, plus a photo of the broken part. Now three weeks later Pella support Denver will not respond to my e-mails or answer my calls. So my recommendation to anyone looking at windows or doors, is do NOT consider Pella.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I wish I had seen all the reviews about Pella before I had purchased my windows. My window would not close after cleaning it and I had to call Pella. It was determined I needed a repair man to come out. They would not tell me the cost of this person to come out and stated that it was a labor fee only. Once the company contacted me I was told that they would only tell me the cost once on site. The repairman arrived and stated that the price is set by Pella and therefore they know exactly what the fee is. The fee just to come look at my window was 169.00! I have never had a charge that high just to come look at something. What a racket that Pella has going!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have read so many complaints about Pella windows that I just had to put pen to paper my 35 year experience with this company. In 1981 I added an addition to my house and installed 14 Double Hung windows and a Sliding Glass door. At the same I replaced all the existing windows in the house with new Pella ones. I can quite honestly say not one has rotted, the double hung ones are still working like new, the sliding door (although it's taken a beating over the years) is in relatively good condition and the 2 casement windows are in pristine working order. If anyone at Pella wants to contact me they are more than welcome. Better still they can come and see for themselves the state of the windows.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Never buy again! I started buying Pella products thirty years ago and have tried to be patient. I've reached the point that it's overpriced and the customer service is terrible. Why should a good customer be given vague answers by high school graduates? Why should a minor job be so expensive (taking out a designer screen door is impossible). I read the instructions and they still don't make sense. The showroom windows and doors look good but it's another story once in. I have French doors, a large double sliding glass door, another sliding door, all wood and a fiberglass designer in my kitchen, not to mention many windows! It's hard to pop the windows to clean them and the casement windows will rot at the bottom. If it wasn't so hard to reach the corporate office for solid answers it would be different. Once you're sold, they really forget you fast!

Original review: July 10, 2017

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. We bought window replacements, 6 weeks late on delivery, several windows made wrong. Checked order and sizing, correctly ordered. Their people can't measure. Then a couple windows came back damaged and had to be replaced. We thought this was finally done, but no! Pella returned a window with the grids on the bottom and clear on the top. Excuse me but has anyone seen windows like this? So again we had to reorder. Finally, the right window showed up and our job was done. 5 1/2 months later for a job that was supposed to be around 30 days. Installers were great and beyond patient with Pella.

I thought this was my last experience with the company, but unfortunately our contractor installed a Pella garage door. A panel needs to be replaced and it's been 2 plus months and no sign of the parts and a dozen calls to their horrendous customer service with no results yet. And when they ask you to leave a message, don't expect a callback, because it's not going to happen. Did that 5 times so far! Too bad they make a good product, it's just lousy management and execution. Hope this helps. There are other good product on the market. Next time I will go with them.

Original review: July 2, 2017

We just want to provide our positive experience with the recent installation of 15 windows and 1 patio door. The installation crew, Dustin ** and Dave **, were outstanding. These two individuals were very knowledgeable and competent with respect to the removal of the existing windows and door and reinstallation of same. They reviewed each window location, placed pads and cloth to protect the floors and furniture, and performed their work very expeditiously. They both had a very good demeanor and addressed every question that we had with respect to the window and door products. After they completed their work each day they cleaned up all the debris, vacuumed, and in one case wiped our hardwood floor. Both of these individuals were polite and courteous, maintaining a professional presence throughout the project.

Delivery was made by Dan **, who was on time and also was very courteous and polite. His delivery was done expeditiously with care to make sure the windows and door were not damaged and that the delivery had all the miscellaneous materials for each window and door.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I am deeply disappointed in the recent response from Pella windows regarding the failure of the casement windows that were sold to us in 2003. We purchased Pella windows due to the quality and price of their product. Recently it was discovered that the casement windows have become rotted and now causing further structural damage to our house.

After doing some research, we learned that others have had this very same problem. It is very unfortunate that Pella knows the casement windows were defective and yet would come back with the determination that the water damage came from the inside of the windows. This simply can't be possible as there is very little water damage on the inside compared to the water/structure damage that has taken place on the outside. The Pella rep stated "we can't prove that the sash failed". Really??? I can say that the Pella representative was willing to send a sales rep out to give us a bid on new windows, which would have a better warranty. However, currently in my opinion, this is unacceptable and insulting at best.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We have had nothing but problems with their products (all of them). Almost half of the windows had leaks and had to be replaced. The warranty covered the materials, but not the labor which came to over $600. Now the window sills are rusting. Trying to get someone to come out and look at a problem takes months. Also, we have also had problems with the screen door we bought from them (constantly coming loose) and the rolling screen door for the sliding glass doors we bought. We really regret using this company.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I just had a sunroom built and had Pella windows with blinds installed. 10 7ft double hung windows. I cannot adjust some of the blinds to save my soul. I think scissors will fix the problem. I hate these windows. I can see that when I have to eventually open the windows to clean them on the inside it will be hours of trying to get the blinds readjusted. You barely touch them and they are out of whack. Wasted my money on these.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Purchased a pair of sliding doors manufactured by Pella about 5 years ago. These unknown bb size pellets started rolling out on both doors between the panes of glass. Pella service dept wanted $830 to replace the glass. This I feel is a total failure of their product and not caused by normal use, plus they said these unknown pellets were not placed there by the manufacturer. Since the glass has a 10 year warranty they will replace the glass but labor is on me and I have to pick the glass up. I am very unhappy with Pella and how they handled this. I will probably replace both doors with a different manufacturer and never use Pella again. These doors are the ones that have the built in blinds between the panes of glass which also don't work correctly.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Complex Litigation Group LLC was prosecuting a class action lawsuit against Pella Corporation and Pella Windows and Doors, Inc. involving ProLine aluminum clad windows. Pella's ProLine windows contain an alleged design defect that allows water to enter the window sash, causing wood rot and necessitating costly window replacement. Because of the ProLine window's design, any wood rot is usually concealed by the aluminum cladding. As a result, homeowners may not discover the problems with Pella ProLine windows until it has reached an advanced stage, requiring replacement of the entire window and frame.

So this past fall, 2016, I spent $5000 to replace 4 Pella windows (with Andersen Windows) because THEY WOULD NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! I was told it was my fault because I didn't get on the roof to caulk around the windows... They also will tell you it was installed improperly... Never their design flaw.

Update: I had one more kitchen transom window to deal with (due to the same rotting dilemma), this past week. Unfortunately, the transom was part of the double hung frame. No other window company had that same size and design, so I had no other choice! What a deal I got! With 40% off, I only have to pay $2400... And all because of THEIR design flaw... What a deal... smh.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Pella WINDOWS STORE IN SIOUX CITY, IOWA - We purchased 16,000 dollars worth of Pella windows for our new four season room and they were not as we ordered. When we complained to the dealer he said and I quote "What do you want me to do. Tell my sales person that he made a 16,000 dollar mistake?" Now the windows show that the glass was never cleaned on both sides of the two panes before they were put together. So far they refuse to do anything about it. My day is coming.

Original review: May 23, 2017

The installation of my windows was good, and the new front door we installed had was solid. The problem arose when 2 of the 11 so called premium replacement windows would not stay in the risen position after 15 months. When I called the Nashville office to get them repaired, I was told only the parts would be at no cost, and that I would need to replace them myself. Like I am going to remove windows on the second floor and replace these parts. These lasted less than 2 years and have began to break. Go elsewhere!

Original review: May 20, 2017

The contractor hired by Pella damaged the finish on my stair railing and damaged the drywall during installation. A day was set for repair and much to my surprise (sarcasm), the contractor was a no show. Contact the sales person and he is going to contact the contract head, his boss. All I hear now is crickets! Go elsewhere and save yourself the aggravation.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I purchased a Pella Fiberglass Door assembly from Lowe's with aluminum casing. Much more expensive than I usually do but I thought this would last us 30 years like the original. 8 years in, the wood at the base of the door is rotten. You can see holes on the edge and the fiberglass skin is peeling off at the bottom. Pella has a 10 year warranty but only 2 on labor, fine. I paid $125 just to have them look at it and another $125 to install my warranty door. This is where the fun begins. I bought my door stained Honey Oak, guess what? They don't cover the stain. So I agree to pay another $140 to have them stain the door. Then I get a call a month later, "We don't stain fiberglass doors. You will have to do it yourself." Pella will never see another dollar from me. I even purchased a new storm door from them a few months before this started. Not again.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Ordered custom 16 ft triple wall garage door through Lowe’s. When door was ready to be dropped off at my house they gave me a 2 hour window. They called 30 minutes after that window to tell me they would be there that afternoon. I couldn't make it back from work. Had to leave for with my wife. They never opened it and checked it. I got home and it was the wrong color. Contacted them the next day and was told that's what the order was and it wasn't their fault but they will look into it. Went to Lowe’s, they put in the correct color. Was later contacted back saying that this was a temporary door for me to install that mine was on back order. (Sounds like a terrible excuse that they messed up to me and didn't want to admit it but I left it alone).

The next week my door comes in and I take of work again to meet them. I make sure to open and inspect every panel in front of the delivery person. Every panel had chips in the paint. I showed the delivery driver and he tells me they will send touch up paint. As I've been waiting over a month now for these doors I kept them and took picture to send Pella expecting them to take care of this. You did not buy something brand new to have to put touch up paint on roughly 12 different spots. I contact Pella. Send them pictures and they ask me what I want them to do about it to fix this. They say they will send out touch up paint. I told them if I'm to accept touch up paint then this door should be severely discounted. They said they would see what they could do and I've not heard nothing back. Then I come back home and find the delivery driver had left all the trash on the top of his van and I am now picking it all up thru my neighborhood.

Finally I frame out my house for the 16 ft door and go to put the door up to find out I'm missing 5 different hinges and 2 rollers. I was forced to install brackets to secure my garage door which made the door temporarily unusable. Contact Pella again. They send me over to some department that says they will send out all the missing parts. A week later still no parts. Luckily Lowe’s contacted me to see how things were going. I let them know everything and the employee got me all the missing parts. It has now been 3 weeks and and still no parts from Pella and Pella has no idea I got the missing pieces from Lowe’s. Absolutely the worst experience buying anything and I will never buy another thing from Pella, as I still need a front door and windows for my house. This has cost them a lot more than a $1300 garage door. In effect has also lost these sales from Lowe’s which I have always had great service with.

Original review: May 12, 2017

We had 1 front door, two sliding doors, 10 windows installed. Both sliding doors have been fixed from not wanting to open at all. Screens fell off from the hardware breaking off, 3 crank handles broke, and front door is warping and separated at the bottom. Once you've paid WAY too much for them (thinking what a great company they must be) you can't afford to fix anything!

Original review: May 5, 2017

I put brand new Pella windows in my house in 2002. I had Pella out twice because the south facing picture window would gush water in heavy rains. The first time the technician squirted some caulk and said all was well, and it was until it rained again. The next time a rep came out and showed me the manufacturing defect where the aluminum cladding was pulling away from the window. Pella later came out and replaced almost all my windows and doors. Many were completely rotten at this point. The parts were free, but they charged me $1000.00 in labor. Buy something else.

Original review: May 4, 2017

We purchased over $19,000.00 worth of Pella windows, from Lowe's that were suppose to "block 94% of the sun's ultraviolet rays". One year later, our furniture has drastically faded! When we contacted Pella they sent someone out and came back with a letter saying that furniture placed by windows will fade!! We even have wall decorations that have faded. Very dissatisfied with Pella's lack of responsibility in this matter.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I installed 5 Pella storm doors on my house. I have a lot of doors and wanted quality storm doors. Boy was I wrong. I have had to replace all the Storm Door Mortise Lock Inserts at least once. They fail and the door won't open without prying it open. In all I have replaced 12 of them. I have also had to replace 8 of the door closer brackets that hold the closer to the door frame. They are terrible especially for $180 doors. I am replacing them as they break now. Just replaced 2 of them.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Customer service is non-existence. Our Pella storm door lock broke and after calls to Pella, we were told essentially that they had no answers or solutions for the faulty product they were selling. Blogs on the internet showed that this is a routine problem. Wish I had known this before I bought this door. I would NEVER buy their products again. A locksmith is installing a different lock at quite an expense to me.

Pella Company Information