2. Homeowners

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Take a Windows & Doors Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

We recently had new windows installed at our home. We chose Pella due to the high quality product and warranty - thus paying a premium for the new windows. The product turned out great - however the installment caused a number of collateral damage on the inside of our house. Fist sized holes punched next to the trim surrounding the windows. It took Pella 3 months to respond to picture and service request to fix.

We were only looking for the walls to be repaired - as didn't think or was made aware by Pella salesperson this might happen. Again, going with Pella - premium player in the space thought we were covered and would be serviced, however, Pella service center would not fix the problem resulting in the responsibility of the homeowner. I just wanted new windows and paid a handsome price - but now I need to find a drywall provider to fix the issue. Not something I had planned for and surprised as well as very disappointed in Pella. Bottom line, don’t have Pella install windows as they don't stand behind their work!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Please do not make the same mistake I did by purchasing Pella windows or doors unless you plan to change out your windows every 10 to 15 years. Poor engineering and the lack of effort by the company to stand behind their mistakes. The water seeps in behind the exterior aluminum clad and rots your window and door frames inside out. The company replaced one slider at the 10 year mark at the end of the warranty because it started to show signs on the inside and I thought it was just bad luck and something must have happened at the factory. Had I have known what I do today I should have popped off the aluminum clad on ALL the windows and doors and inspected the sashes and had the company replace my whole house.

So after several attempts and inspections they were willing to offer a discount on a new PVC door for 3 times the cost of the original door. Wow thanks Pella...and I just found out by a glass company that your new plastic doors will warp in the hot sunlight. I feel bad for the people who purchased Pella products. It's only a matter of 10 years or so before the rot reaches the inside of the house that you can actually see the damage. I encourage consumers to have their windows thoroughly inspected before the warranty expires.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Within about 10 years, Pella wood clad windows will rot. You won't know it until they crumble. The engineers at Pella chose to seal (?) their window cladding, which is aluminum with a clay bead that shrinks and then allows water to leak behind the cladding, which rots the wood. The Pella "lifetime" guarantee is rotten too! I have replaced many Pella windows in my house because they rotted.

Again, a smallish 25x42 fixed sash is rotten and Pella wants $650 for a new one, uninstalled! It will be less expensive to make a new window from scratch, which is what I plan to do. Remember, that's $650 for the sash only (the part that is inside the frame). Buy anything other than Pella, they are way, way over-rated and way, way overpriced. In this case, the most expensive windows are also the worst you can buy. I hope I have discouraged you from getting these windows. If I knew of this problem I would have not purchased the house in the first place. One star is two stars too much!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

New home construction in 2015. All Pella Designer double hung windows and 2 Designer Patio doors. We have the same complaint as Donald from Sturgeon Bay, WI. on Dec.11, 2019. Every time temps are below 20 degrees outside we have frost or water on our wood window sills where sash meets sills. We tried shrink wrapping our screen and reinstalling to act like a storm window with same result. Seems to be design issue/lack of insulation on strip that sash closes on causing the strip to stay ice cold due to outside metal meeting the wood and causing the cold air to meet the warm air. We have no issues with any other areas of the window or glass. Pella keeps saying it is humidity issue and will not try to resolve. We have had humidity levels as low as 20% with same issue. We have had the issue since the windows were first installed until now which is 5 yrs later.

The patio doors also have frost around the entire sliding door seal when temps are cold. Also the glazing beads wore out on all the stationary windows on patio doors which caused water to enter house and on floor around the glass. Pella charged us $90 to come and caulk around outside glass and told us they would replace the glazing beads. Then told us just caulking the windows is the Pella fix. We also get ferning frost in between the panes of the windows in winter. Most likely caused by the poor seals around the glass panels. Pella has poor customer service and poor quality windows and doors.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I gave one star because there is nothing lower than that. I chose them they supposed to be the best. I have the worst experiences with them since August 2019. Two small windows and one big one for the family room. It’s not done, first thing the installer was the bad he miss up the window and then every two month somebody come to check and then they decide to change it.

I been waiting two months for my appointment. They call me and say my window broke when they are bringing it to the warehouse. And I have to wait another two months for that, I have nothing else to do. My lift just waiting for Pella fricking windows and the job is not done yet. Very bad. Everything for the money they charge. Please don’t ever do Pella window, never ever. It was a big mistake and very bad experience. I am can’t wait to get them out of my life when the if they finish the jony.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Salesman was pleasant and on time for appointment. He provided a quote for $18k for the 19 windows we wanted replaced, but never followed up with us. I called him back 30 days later after getting town approval for new windows (I live in an area deemed "historic" in MA). We agreed to go ahead, so they sent out the measurement crew to check all dimensions. Revised quote came back for $32k. They said all the windows needed full installation, not just be replaced. We will look elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

It has been a horrible go around with Pella and after starting the replacement process of my cathedral window with them in September, the job is still not complete and it is already the 2nd week in January! Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere for your window replacements! They do not care about their customers and they will charge you the full amount up front ($7800) regardless of whether the job is complete or not. They do not return phone calls and do not take any responsibility for their errors when the job is not completed as scheduled.

Our install date took 6 weeks to get scheduled and then on that date (Nov. 25th), they couldn't finish the job because they broke the new grid they needed to install with the window. I have now gone through 2 major holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) without our window being completed. I have given them plenty of chances to make this right, and after leaving countless messages for many people at Pella, I have now resorted to writing this very honest and angry review of them. I hope you seek out a more reputable company after your read this review... I certainly wish I had. :(

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I made a big mistake 9 years ago and purchased a Pella storm door. I now have a storm door with a big spot of corrosion of on the side of the window. I gave my old door to a friend, not Pella, the door is now 40 years old, and still in good condition. I wrote to Pella, and sent pictures of the corrosion. So much for their 10 year warranty. They wrote to me saying they would send me a credit voucher on the door I purchased, and the warranty was prorated. I should receive the credit voucher in 3 to 4 weeks. It has been 12 weeks, and so far no credit voucher. Pella is a terrible company to do business with!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My wife and I are remodeling our home in Bozeman, MT and purchased 25 windows at a cost of $20,21 on 12 September 2019 with a delivery date of 14 October 2019. We were meticulous about details of the order and the contractor planned the remodel so that his work incorporated this delivery date. We received the order a bit later than the noted delivery date but in time for the contractor to stay in pace. Unfortunately, a number of windows sizes and types were wrong. We returned the "wrong" windows and clearly noted what was wrong and what we needed. The replacement window order came last week and was also incorrect -- it was not what we ordered.

Our local Pella dealer now tells me that the replacement (second replacement) cannot not be delivered until late February. My contractor noted that this will cost me another $2000 and our home will have a board over the window until then. It should be noted that the contractor is trying his best to get this done before the Montana winter hits us in earnest. My original windows were Pella so I thought they had their act together. Given their unprofessionalism, I should have purchased Marvin windows.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Replaced all windows and patio door in my house with new Pella designer series windows about 5 years ago. Nothing but problems every winter. Tried to keep humidity really low in house but still cold air is coming in around bottom sill of windows and all round the patio door. When temps get to 0 to 15 degrees frost build up on inside of window wood surface not uncommon. Patio door is the worst. Very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I purchased Pella Windows for my brand new house. I spent over $20,000. After eight or nine years the window sashes started to rot away. After months of complaining they finally replaced only the sashes not the entire window at a cost of over $6,000. I would definitely not recommend Pella windows. They do not stand behind their product.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

You have no reason to trust me but I am telling you that you will regret using this company. After 2 years, our large picture windows' seal broke. It will cost us $800, for labor from Pella, plus $75 for a technician to come out to replace the "free" window. Additionally, we have had the door replaced twice in 2 years due to the wood cracking. Once I asked about the reoccurring problem, the technician said we'll just keep replacing it. We are on our 3rd door with the same problem and are now out of our labor warranty. The original purchase price was $7500 for a foyer window and door unit. We were willing to pay this price for a great product. We were very wrong. Please do not think you are getting a good product or warranty with this company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

First, Pella sidelights come with a threshold, which looks very strange. Second, the Fiberglass slidelights are framed in some type of cheesy, discolored vinyl, making a simple front entryway look unwelcoming. Third, my builder said that they could paint the vinyl, but two days after painting, it is starting to peel. I will never buy another Pella product again. After $2000, I am left with no recourse, a new house and a shabby looking front door.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Pella windows installed in 2003 when my home was constructed have rotted from the outside to the inside. These are two large windows - one a fixed picture window; the other a window complex of two casements on the sides, one large fixed picture window in the middle and a large fixed horizontal window spanning the top. The progressive rot had been occurring unnoticed for years because of the aluminum cladding. There was a class-action settlement that I wasn't party to that I had no prior knowledge of and so was not able to participate in the settlement.

I offered Pella to meet them halfway on the cost of replace these two window sets. They refused and instead quoted me a price of nearly $12,000 to replace them. Ultimately, I contracted with Windows By Andersen to replace at a cost of $10,000. I would strongly advise against doing business with this company. I would not give this company even one star, but I was required to give it at least one star to get this review posted.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My Pella Proline sliding glass door is rotting out. The glass has held up fine. This is a well known issue with Pella, there was a class action lawsuit in the past. Pella sent a rep out who documented the case and said she would submit a warranty claim. It's been 3 weeks, I keep following up but no one returns my calls. I called the Grapevine TX local headquarters and asked for the sales manager but still no response.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

After 5 years of a $5000 plus sliding patio door the lock mechanism failed to engage. There is only one person (myself) utilizing this door on sparingly basis. I called Pella who informed me that they could make an exploratory out call for $120:00 plus tax. This is far from satisfactory. To hell with the Stella "promise".

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Last year we bought a house and we have been remodeling. I have custom ordered a door because I wanted a specific design and colors. We look all around town and pella was the only one that I figured would be the perfect manufacture for the door. We waited for a month and when it got close to getting it delivered the guy insisted to have someone home to help me unload which it was not possible for them because he didn’t want to pay his people overtime. I ended up unloading it since my husband was working out of town and didn’t get home until late that day.

We rushed to install it the same night since the weather was about to get bad. Next morning I inspected the door to make sure that I got what I order and noticed the hinges and sill were black and I ordered oil rubbed bronze. There was dents and stain on the glass and un-stainted spots on the door itself and a bunch of silicon on all the corners. I contacted them and after a few weeks a rep came out to look at it and he was definite that the hinges and sill were black and told me he’ll contact the engineering department.

A month later of going back and forth they told us that Pella has built our door to spec and the matte black hinges is their version of oil rubbed bronze.... a rep came out again and said I’m sorry but you got the right order and handed me a stain pen to fix the dents and scratches. We were planning on getting a few more doors but I much rather get it from Home Depot than from Pella. Most horrible experience and customer service I’ve ever had and we almost paid 4K for that door.

If you are planning on buying a door read the reviews before you do because I wish I did.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have to say we have always been a Pella family. We purchased a vinyl sliding glass door 4 years ago because I love Pella and really wanted the blinds built in. Recently though I have noticed an accumulation of small clay colored beads which I thought, were some sort of bug eggs in the bottom of both the slider and stationary doors. I emailed Pella with pics and no response. Today I called and was advised this happens a lot. Really?? They advised I was still in warranty however would have to pay labor fees. The girl advised the seals were bad and that was the beads I was seeing. The door is 4 years old!!! Reconsider before buying Pella!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Built house 2001. Within 2 years all west facing windows rotted at bottom sash. They replaced them. Of course they wanted to charge ridiculous amount for installation to recoup losses. Window warranty but not labor. Luckily easy to install. Now years later all rotted again and no warranty. These were maintenance free windows. Two things don’t by a Pella product. Also check the products out yourself because the builders won’t be around when they break.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We purchased a Pella Sliding Glass with blinds between the glass from Lowe's for $673. The doors were great for the first 7 years. Last year some type of little beige beads starting accumulating between the glass panels. Called Pella Customer Service, they contacted the local distributor, the local distributor called us and told us that they would replace the door at a cost of $960! I understand that the door is out of warranty, I don't understand why the replacement part is so expensive.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We built our house in 2001 using Pella Designer series casement windows with the Slimshade blinds. What a mistake!!! The windows started rotting a year after they were installed and the blinds don't close completely. A set of doors had to be replaced because of rotting, which was done under warranty, but we had to pay Pella $750 to install the doors. Pella told us to put a bead of clear silicone caulk where the frame meets the glass, which I did, but shouldn't have to do that. And I still have windows to replace because they are rotting. I wish I had researched Pella back when we were building because I wouldn't have used them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Year and a half with a leaking $12,785.76 door. Lots of promises from Pella and tiny few Pella salespeople and 'subcontractors' out to look... Still leaking. No real action just pass the buck. Pella has not delivered on its warranty. Until Pella fixes the problem they created, I will be telling all my 300+ yearly home inspection customers every day NOT to use Pella based on my personal experience. James

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We had Pella come and install windows Monday and they verified the work on the inside and left. When we climbed the ladder outside the home we seen no sealing of the windows from the outside. A piece of flashing they say is decorative is just flapping and they claimed they used double sided tape and it always holds. Double sided tape in the elements is not ok for the amount of money they charge for installation. Now it has been more than a week. 2 days of rain, more rain to come, no communication after multiple messages with multiple people, and now the company that they use for financing won't not pay them because technically the windows are in.

This is the second time we've used them and they had to come back the first time because our siding wasn't put back on place leaving our home exposed to the elements. They did come back the next day on that and finished. But why is a big company using people who won't finish work on the outside up high because most people won't climb on their own and check. The window they put on the front porch that we would have to see and pass each day is beautiful so why can't that be the ones we don't pass and see. They should all be done of same quality. We have more windows and Pella will not be getting out for those.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

So incredibly disappointed in my sliding glass door. Bought and installed through pella in June 2019 and by September the screen door latch broke and the slider would not open. Pella comes out and has to "order" parts. I have a screen door and a sliding glass door that I paid 11,000 dollars for and I can't use either one. Thanks Pella. This product is not worth the money!!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We recently replaced 7 vinyl windows in our home and had a great experience with Pella. They went out of their way to be courteous and got their work done swiftly, leaving no mess to clean up! They had a guy come in to make sure we were happy with everything and understood the workings/cleaning of the windows. Now we're loving the windows and glad to have a good warranty. Highly recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I ordered five replacement windows from a local Pella rep. Three were installed with visually obvious flaws and one sill was badly damaged and will have to be refinished. Two of the windows have been replaced but I now have to wait for the third and for the paintwork required on the sill. These are not 'bargain basement' products - I expected a much higher level of quality control!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

In November of 2018 I purchased 12 new series 250 & 2 designer patio slider doors. Seven of the 250 windows were ordered incorrectly in that they were not tempered glass as per drawing submitted & building codes require. I immediately made the salesperson aware of the problem upon delivery and he told me he would re-order the sashes required and they would be replaced, which they attempted to do in April of 2019 when they replaced only 4, even though they admittedly could not find the other 3 setting in their warehouse somewhere.

To make a long story short, they have come to my house every month since (unless the windows shipped from the factory were warped or scratched. Hey, at least they're checking them now before driving an hour to my home only to find they're bad. That's happened 4 times, the last one yesterday), and we are still not done with the fix. They have scheduled 3 times an A. M. or P. M. appointment with a no-show - no-call waste of our time. I think they're trying to piss me off now or maybe set a record on how long a customer will continue in patience.

I have spent over $50K on their windows over the past several years on my remodel projects. I am a contractor and have owned a building trades service company for over 37 years. I know things go bad beyond your control sometimes. I also know that how a company responds to problems separate the good companies from the bad. When their own service people tell you they are very embarrassed, when their sales & service staff are quitting the company, you know there's a problem. Yet Pella Iowa is still not listening. Listen now Pella. YOU HAVE THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!!! IN MY 65 YEARS OF LIVING. But maybe that's just in Western Michigan.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

We replaced an old french door with a new Pella slider in July. We had a licensed contractor install the door. The door ended up having a bow in the middle that would not allow for the screen door to slide. After multiple phone calls and emails to pella I finally got a pella rep out to our house and he confirmed the door had a warp in it. I was told that pella would get back to me in 3-5 days. That did not happen. When I finally got a hold of pella again they said I had to deal with the place I bought the door from, Lowes. This song and dance went back an forth, both companies playing the blame game.

2.5 MONTHS LATER, spending most of the summer with out a screen door, living in a construction zone, I now have a replacement door installed. Pella's customer service is the worst! After spending hours and hours explaining the situation to multiple heads at Lowe's they did end up ordering us this new door and reimbursing us for the original installation. Pella, I will never purchase any of your products again and any one who ask me for a door or window recommendation will most certainly not be buying your products. Your defective door that you said you were going to pick up is on the side of my house and it just got snowed on. Maybe the weight of the snow will fix the bow.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Purchased Pella casement windows from Lowe's, installed myself approximately 9 years ago. Have had air infiltration since installation. Air comes in between window frame and casement rubber seal in barely touching frame so in winter would get so cold getting ice on glass inside so thick can't scrape it off. We have local pella dealer but don't install product so had to get installer from nearest town to come to my house. This happened 4 or 5 times over 9 years. Most recent dealt with out of town pella exclusively. Surprisingly installer figured out because windows were special order that window was too small for frame hence barely touching rubber seal. So they decided to order one slightly larger window for a trial then I was to contact them for results.

After installation, Progress finally hah. Window was warmer not freezing like before. So I call out town store pella. They don't know what I'm talking about. Somewhat rude and standoffish. Call local office to call tell there is nothing wrong with my windows. When I asked why they installed one new window and what the installer said they said they did it to be nice? So I'm done. Bought new Andersen Windows yesterday. A Andersen company installer came out measured for square just as pella my installation well within specs. Hopefully better luck with Andersen Windows.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We ordered windows for our new constructed home in July 2019. It has been over 2 months and still no delivery, we were promised delivery in August then Sept 5th then Sept 23rd. Now some time in October, don't order Pella. They have the worst record for delivery & if you are not happy with their product too bad you're stuck with them.

Pella Company Information