3.7/5 (551 ratings)

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

About Pella

Find Windows and Doors partners near you

Pella Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: July 22, 2022

We ordered replacement windows from Pella March 2022. The total was over 20k, and we were told the turn around time was 8-10 weeks. A month later, we got an install date of July 21st, which put it at 16 weeks. We were told they would be here to do the install July 21st and 22nd and possibly a half day on July 23rd. We went with Pella because we thought they had superior customer services. We were counting down the days until the install. I Made daycare reservations for our dog and made sure to clear my work schedule. They confirmed the install date on Friday July 15th.

On the morning of July 21st, we received a call at 9am saying the crew could not make it due to rain, and they had to speak with the scheduling manager to see if they would make it on Friday the 22nd. I called back the same day to get an update and was told they would call me back. I did not get a call back and we were left wondering if they would come out to do the install Friday the 22nd.

On the morning of Friday the 22nd, I called and emailed Pella to see if they were coming out and if not were there any updates on our installation. They did not call us back, but did reply to the email saying they are trying to get us rescheduled. We did not understand why they needed to reschedule as the crew was originally scheduled to be here on Friday. The weather was fine and there was no rain in the forecast.

We called them back around noon thinking they would have some answers for us, but our calls went unanswered. My husband and I left a total of 3 voice message on Friday. My husband called Pella's corporate office and they said they would follow up with Pella of Georgia, but never did. We called again before around 4:30pm on Friday and the corporate office put us on hold and then the call dropped. Now we are going into the weekend with no idea when our windows will be installed. We paid over 20k and feel like we have been ripped off. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They misrepresented their turn around times, did not communicate effectively about their scheduling and did not bother to call back. I've never regretted my purchase as much as this one before.

Original review: July 21, 2022

The turnaround to get a quote for replacement windows and measurement scheduled was pretty quick. Compared to other brands, the turnaround for installation was competitive. Summer **, Pella NW was easily reachable and answered all my questions promptly.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2022

I bought a wooden front door in 11/4/21. Right out of the catalog, not custom. I was told it would deliver in 1/22; then 3/22; then 5/1/22; then 5/20/22; then 7/7/22; then 7/17/22; now "September or October 2022". I gave them 1/2 up front. They've had thousands of my $ for 8 months now, and I have nothing but a string of lying ** emails. DO NOT BUY A DOOR FROM PELLA!

Original review: June 1, 2022

We purchased a Pella door several years ago. We now need a new handle/locking mechanism & cannot get anyone to help with replacement parts. The company gives email/phone numbers for assistance but never answers or replies. Unfortunately, replacement parts cannot be ordered from any other company or website- all orders must go through them directly & it’s impossible to speak with anyone! My husband could easily install the new handle if we could just purchase the replacement part! So frustrating! We will never use this company again!!

Original review: April 18, 2022

After being told windows would arrive 12-16 weeks from the time of sale, I was notified just 2 days after signing the contract that the windows would arrive 16-20 weeks. **Their salespeople will say what they need to say in order to secure a sale.** 8 weeks later I was informed the windows will be delayed another 6 weeks. The delivery timeframe is now 3 months delayed. This is HORRIBLE salesmanship for a salesperson to give false information in order to secure a sale.

Original review: April 15, 2022

In 2000 we bought a house with two decks. One off the kitchen and one off the master bedroom. The French doors were nothing but glass panel wood doors that had been modified to fit this opening and they showed signs of leaking. and severe weather fatigue. We priced Pella sliders and factored this cost into our purchase. Shortly after moving in we purchased 2 sliding Pella doors (SLC,UT) with the interior blinds. One was 60" and the other more like 84" wide. They were installed by a competent installer. We had a few service calls in the firsts years covered by warranty. But as soon as the warranty period is over expect to pay big bucks for each part and just the initial service call.

Our story is similar to the one from Lee of Kingwood, TX Verified Reviewer. Original review: Jan. 25, 2022, currently about the 5th one down on page 1. We had some interior painting to do so we didn't get around to wanting our raw wood inside painted for a few years.. In that time Pella said they had no one to recommend any longer. So I had to do the danish oil finish myself. I'm pretty good at handyman skills and painting but this is quite a big job. No telling how much a painter would have charged me. Why didn't pella have a list of painters willing to do this job with recommendations??? Red flag! Well this last year I decided the wind noise was too much so I looked into new weather stripping.

I ordered it and a couple months later received this rather expensive and custom door seal product along with the expensive screen door slider spring assembly that I needed because of a poorly designed plastic part that is not available separately. I could live with these high parts prices as it seems the new American quality standard and business model for parts sales and service to be a big part of profits. But when doing the seal job and also replacing the rollers on the door bottom I found that the wood interior under the cladding was really rotted. So far my inside wood has not caved in like Lee's.

I also notice that there are corrosion looking holes on the outside surface of the aluminum cladding on the bottom stile. 3-4 1/8" to 1/4" that let the rain in. Maybe there was dissimilar metal staples or something that corroded the thin aluminum cladding that was supposed to last a lifetime and a big pella selling point!! In contact. I have tried to put some caulking on these holes to keep the rotted wood at bay. This is the master bedroom deck door... If it was the main floor door it would look really bad and I would need to seek a better solution... This pair of doors cost 5000$ in 2000 and I think they are well over 5000 each now. I would never buy pella again and tell everyone to research other manufactures.

Original review: March 30, 2022

3 years ago we replaced all of our windows in our home with Pella windows. We had 7 different window companies come to our home. Although Pella was the most expensive quote we received, we went with Pella because of the name and reputation that we had heard so much about. 2 years after our windows were installed we began to notice our windows turning yellow and oxidizing. We went through the proper channels. Several Pella reps came out and said that they had never seen the Pella windows do this before.

We then received this notice from Pella: "Pella is not responsible for or makes not warranty as to: Product failure, loss or damage due to normal wear, fading or discoloration of finish from product usage, age or exposure to direct sunlight." Wow. We live in Phoenix Arizona. Someone should have mentioned the fact that they do not cover the windows yellowing in direct sunlight within 2 years of installation. This is not 10 or even 5 years down the road. 2 years later. This is obviously a manufacturer's defect. Our neighbors replaced their windows with a local Phoenix vinyl window manufacturer years ago and their windows are not yellow.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My two story home has 100% Pella casement windows and doors. 100% of the windows are rotting in place, and (2) of the storm doors with glass refuse to lock AT ALL. Pella came out and replaced 4 window frames, I paid the labor. They were supposed to return as the other windows "came in stock" and then fix the doors as well.

No show for Pella now, and I am looking at a FULL REPLACEMENT of their KNOWN defective products. I even filed a BBB complaint and they STILL refuse to finish the job they started. Pella is an Iowa company, and I do my best to buy local, but never again will I buy a house with their products installed, nor will I ever buy anything from them again. Shame on you pella.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I built my (very large) home in 1999 and used Pella for every window and door (approx $100,000 worth). It is the 1 decision I have regretted every single day of living in this house, right up until today. The window frames starting rotting out 11 years in, so they're out of warranty. They blamed my builder for installing them wrong. A few years later there was a class action lawsuit against them for a defect in the frames causing them to rot. The $ wasn't worth all the work I had to do to receive it (4 kids keeps you too busy for monster problems like this one), so we passed on a separate lawsuit, & accepted whatever little $ they gave us. Each yr another few rot & we replace them, & this process has been going on for about 10 yrs (12,000sq ft house has a ton of windows).

This year we replaced 2 frames (since Jan) & my sliding doors aren't sliding anymore. Btw the frames don't come painted, they don't even offer that service. A technician came, made adjustments & said he'd have to come back & shave the door slightly on top to get it sliding again. They send me the contract ($800 1/2 due now) then call me to say they're actually not able to fix it, advising me to contact my builder & they'll give him the door info he needs to fix it. I can't use the tech that actually works on the door that recommended how he'd fix it! WHY NOT?! They "can't alter their product" even though it's 20+yrs old. RIDICULOUS but I expected nothing less. So if you're lucky enough to get through to make an appt, it comes in a month (minimum), & that's just the evaluation....another month after that to schedule the service.

No exaggeration, been doing this over a decade now. I advise you to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, DO NOT USE PELLA! Their own contractors have told me to use Anderson, what does THAT say abt the company?! I'm too far in now but I beseech anyone looking for a window/door to use anyone BUT Pella. You will absolutely, without a doubt, regret your decision!

Original review: March 22, 2022

Both of the crews hired to install our windows and doors were so terrible, they fired after they finished our job. They damaged our home and the products as they were installed and now need replaced. The project manager, the area manager, and the district manager have all been giving me the runaround for six months and there is no end in sight. I may have to sue to have these issues resolved. I had to file a complaint with the BBB after seeking help for 4 months. Only after I filed the complaint did they respond to me. I'm so disappointed.

Take a Windows & Doors Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Pella author review by Emma Simon

Pella has a 90-year history of designing and building high-quality, energy-efficient windows and doors. The company has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year nine times, most recently in 2016.

• Extreme commitment to sustainability: Pella not only sells energy-efficient products but also constantly tests new products and new technology to make products even more sustainable.

• Custom shapes available: Pella builds aluminum-clad wood windows, vinyl windows and fiberglass windows Pella will also customize products to meet customers’ needs. The company also makes wood, fiberglass and steel entry doors; French doors; sliding, bifold and multi-panel patio doors; storm doors; and garage doors.

• Online guides available: Customers can watch videos or read blogs to help them get design ideas and get started purchasing doors and windows.

• Installation and service help: Customers can schedule a service visit online if they need help with their products.

• Custom product creation: Users can create a custom door or window using this company's online design tool to choose materials, colors, shapes and sizes.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Pella Company Information