2. Homeowners
  3. Roof Shingles

Owens Corning Shingles

Owens Corning Shingles
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Owens Corning Shingles Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning Shingles?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

** This here is the issue.. As we have a large attic and the last contractor before we bought the home did not do venting for this home. So as we tried to get the roof repair by the contractor.. We filed a complaint with the State Of Michigan that the Contractor whom has done 20 years of work in this state and county. Our State left our complaint for over a year. Then covid hit and this put us out longer. So we bought this vent and installed it.. As well we did not use a roof cap shingles, we used the **.

We screwed them on and black jack caulked it all.. So as the winter came in 2019-2020 we noticed that Owens made a producted that filled up with snow in the vents.. This does not help with venting at all.. So in the spring we went up and looked and notice another issue.. The vents were moving, Shrinking and pulling apart. Now we had no leaks in the attic from our install.. So we made a notice with Owens, and you know what we found out that owens just filled this over the a warranty issue they do not want to cover.. Because we did not use caps and nail to the plastic which we felt would damage the vents for sure..

Either way we notice they are pulling this product off the shelve slowly and replacing it with a roll our style plastic vent.. And why because they know they lied to all of us and should have done a recall to replace the vents for all home owners.. Big Companies turn their backs on all of us like this too much.. My cost will be over 400.00 because they will not take responsibility for their bad product.. Thank you Owens.. the Pink panther really should not be on your products.. Because we trust him but not you Owens ever again..

Resolution response: July 30, 2020

I was trying to get help with my roof replacement during the early Coronavirus shutdown. Life was very complicated and I do understand that. This company did come through for me and I am so happy about that. Not only did they do the correct thing but they were all so incredibly kind to me.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I am very disappointed... We installed our 50 year Owens Corning roof in 2004. Now in 2020 my shingles have cracks all over and needs to be replaced. I tried dealing with the company thinking well at least they will help with the cost of the shingle and I will pay for the labor but NO. They tell me that it is not their fault. I have had 3 roofers at my house and roofers love to slam another roofer. They all say it was a shingle problem not installation. I think that it is horrible that they will not help me out at all. I feel like this is a total scam to get me to buy a expensive roof and it lasted less than my last builder grade shingle lasted.

Get buying tips about Roof Shingles delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We built a new house in 2012 purchase 40 year duration shingles and after only 8 days a few blew off. They NEVER sealed down to the roof and within a year large sheets of shingles would slide off. MANY times I repaired and hoped they would seal in the summer sun. After the next year I had to re-shingle my entire Kitchen roof and I contacted Owens Corning 2 times over this issue of large patches of shingles sliding off. Did the lame warranty paperwork, sent pictures and sent in my 2 shingles... was told the "LAB" was looking into it... After a month they sent me a letter stating it was an installation issue. I have shingled MANY houses in my life. This is a brand new event. If this was NOT a product FAILURE then WHY did Owens Corning almost immediately stop making them and come up with a different version of that product???

Why is there 75 people on the internet complaining about the EXACT SAME ISSUES??? How many HOMEOWNERS have to be cheated before we all start a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT??? I can not go back to the store that sold me them because it went out of business... Owens Corning has a system of loops they make you jump through, thinking you may actually get them to stand behind their product but it REALLY is a system of smoke and mirrors. How many times have they actually made a customer happy??? It is a numbers game.. How many can they ignore Homeowners before someone hires a lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I installed 51 squares of Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles (Color Onyx Black) on my home in 2013. After a roof inspection about six weeks ago, I discovered that all of the shingles are breaking down and showing fibers. Some of the shingles are worse than others. I contacted Lowe's which instructed me to file a claim with Owens Corning because this was not normal "Wear and Tear". I filed a claim and received a box requesting many pictures and 2 shingle samples. I gathered all of the information including the pictures, claim form and samples. I shipped the package off via UPS. Keep in mind that I was told that I would be reimbursed by Owens Corning up to $150 for the cost of the shingle samples (Roofers Labor).

I received a call after six weeks from OC that after careful review in their "LAB" that there was nothing wrong with the shingles. They denied the claim. They also never reimbursed me for the shingle samples. I have multiple roof inspection reports that clearly state that this is not normal wear and tear nor damage from "Acts Of God". Do yourself a favor and stay away from OC products. Their product is garbage and so is their customer service. Save yourself the money and headache!! I am out over $12,000 after I install a new roof.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Installed over 60 square Oakridge pro 30 shingles on new construction single family home in 2005. I was constantly finding excessive granules in gutters soon after. Placed a call to O/C in 2006 and was assured this was normal. Now 10 years later most shingles are completely void of granules exposing fiberglass mat. Filed a warranty claim and Owens Corning proposed resolution is a materials voucher for less than half of the 60 square, no labor etc. These people are criminals!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I built a new home 11 years ago and used Duration shingles which had a 30 year and a 100 MPH blow off warranty. The past few years I had several shingles blow off and fixed at my expense. In March of 2019 I had many large areas of shingles blow off. I had the local Owens sales rep come out with my contractor, who is a certified Owens installer. The rep told us that the Duration shingles of that vintage had a factory defect and we should see some compensation. The rep took pictures and sent to OC.

I then get a package asking for many items including proof of ownership, detailed pictures, shingle samples, etc. When it came down to it after many calls and discussion with the warranty department that the shingles were past the 5 year sealing and blow off warranty. We received no compensation as goodwill or anything under warranty. I am now having the installer put on CertainTeed shingles. If anyone out there is having the same issue and is thinking about a class action, please let me know. Not an easy company to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My new O/C shingles failed after one year; pigeon droppings caused the granules to fall off leaving ugly bare tar rings. Customer service was insulting, they told me that it was my responsibility to know better than to buy their product (really), and have now repeatedly stated that their shingles meet their own standards. None of my specific questions were answered; they could not cite any product of their own that would hold up against bird droppings. Do not do business with this company, they are marketing a rotten product and judging from the many complaints, they know it is rotten. Spread the word!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had Owens Corning shingles installed on my home back in 2006 and immediately we noticed a lot of shingle granules coming off the shingles. Also I had an add-on on my home in 2011 and Owens Corning shingles did the same thing. I contacted Owens Corning. From the beginning they were just very rude. Very unprofessional and I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. The shingles have always had granule problems on every Owens Corning shingle that I used on my home and to get it warrantied I was told it had a labor warranty up to 10 years. Now they're telling me it's 5.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Owens Corning ridge vent make an awful noise when wind gusts above 10 mph. Roofers never warned me. VERY LOUD! I had the same type vent before. No noise! Vinton Roofing of Vinton Virginia said it was normal for Owens Corning VentSure roof vents. I would not recommend the VentSure ridge vent or the ProEdge ridge shingles. Also, Owens Corning Duration shingles if stalled in hot weather they show a lot of damage from roofers foot traffic.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We had 18 years on a 25 year roof, and we decided that it needed replacing, and we were going to do it this summer. 2018. Several "moss remover" companies that I had do maintenance on our roof strongly suggested that we replace the roof. I was hoping to get 30 years out of it, as that seems to be the industry standard. We jumped through all of the hoops, had to make several attempts to explain that we didn't buy the roof, it was on the house when we bought it NEW. However, they did reimburse us with a fair settlement after it was over. One of the things that was odd was as part of the settlement was a material voucher. I surely wasn't putting OC Shingles back on, and the roof job was already completed. Now I have a material voucher that doesn't do anything for me. Overall, I feel that they stepped up and did the right thing.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Information