3.89/5

133 Oster Appliances Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 8, 2008

Oster Wine Fridge was purchased, worked for 2 months. Called to get troubleshooting advice and was told that they would just refund my money. I was notified to cut the power cord off the unit and mail it in with the proper documentation of purchase and unit serial number. All of this was done and no check was received. I called Oster today to check on my warranty check and they said they will not honor the warranty because the product was made by a 3rd party that Oster licensed their name to. The 3rd party company, Petters/MLO LLC has gone out of business. I was given a physical address to contact Petters. (701 Xenia Ave. Ste. 450, Minneapolis, MN. 55416) The Oster rep. said that Oster had no responsibility to pay the warranty because the product was made by a licensee. I find this VERY misleading. The product said Oster...there was no way to tell that it was not made by Oster. I have googled Petter's address and the suite number I was given is available for lease immediately. I find it very hard to believe that company that has gone out of business and that does not seem to occupy a physical address is going to refund my money. I called Best Buy, where the item was purchased, and they said they would fix it at no cost. I informed them that Oster made me cut the power cord to send in for the warranty and they notified me that they could not fix the unit. So I have no wine fridge, no $ for my warranty, and no way to repair the unit. Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit against Oster. This seems like something that would happen in a foreign country...not here in the USA.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2008

I received the Oster 12 Bottle Wine Cooler as a gift and do not have the receipt. The unit was purchased at Best Buy in Round Rock, Tx. Four months later the unit stopped working. I went to Oster website to get information so I could take the unit for repair, however, the two service providers they gave me will not work on this unit. When I went back to Oster web and filed a complaint, I was told that it was not manufactured by Jarden Consumer Solutions but was mfg by a different company, Petters Consumer Brands LLC / MLO Appliance Co LLC, under the Sunbeam and Oster brand names. Follow up emails to find out how long it will be before I hear some thing just continue to get automated responses that they are forwarding my concerns to the appropriate division. This has been since October. I can not get a real response. Have tried calling to no avail. Have found many other individuals experiencing the same issue (www.fixya.com).

Original review: Dec. 3, 2008

Purchased the OW0912H6H wine Cellar for Christmas Gift November 07 - by May 08 it stopped cooling. Fortunately, Best buy replaced with another one, but it also stopped working by October 2008. Phone calls to the customer service number resulted in an unservicable phone number.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2008

I purchased an Oster wine cooler in Dec 2007. It quit working in June 2008. I contacted the warranty company and sent my original receipt (yes, I had it, the cooler had been a gift) and the cord to the warranty compny 7/21/08. I have yet to receive my refund. When the warranty company's phone number became inoperable I contacted Oster directly. I have contacted them several times and they assure me that my claim has been placed on a waiting list as they are experiencing contractual problems with their warranty company. I have recently learned the company handling warranties for Oster was Petters Consumer Brands LLC owned by Petters Worldwide Group. The owner, Tom Petters, was indited 12/1/08 in a $3.5 billion Ponzi scheme. The case against Petters may be the largest Ponzi fraud in US history. Checkout the Minneapolis StarTribune for more details. I believe Oster will continue stonewalling us for our warranties but I wish they'd be more upfront and tell consumers their warranty company is gone and there will be no refunds instead of stringing us along with 'your claim has been placed on a waiting list'. Now that I know there are thousands of investors who lost money with Tom Petters, I doubt my $100 refund will make it through the process.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

Our Oster Wine Cooler stopped working during the warranty period. I contacted customer service and received a form to complete and by return mail send the cord from the appliance. That was in August. I was to receive a full refund. I have not heard anything further despite several e-mails. I tried call the phone number listed on their correspondence and it is no longer available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2008

I too bought a Oster wine cooler model # 0W0912H6H from Best buy in Nov of 07 the fan stopped working in August of 08 and I contacted the company and they told me to send the receipt with the cord and a form they sent me and I would receive a refund. I did all that and never hear back from them. I tried to contact them by email but didn't hear back so I called the 800 number which is disconnected. Sounds like they are out of business.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2008

My sons bought me a Oster wine cellar for christmas '07 from our local Best Buy and in Sept. '08 it quit cooling. I called the support phone number in my book, was told to send my receipt, along with a copy of the emailed form they sent me with the cord, which I cut off and sent in on 9-12-08. I have tried to call the number and there is a recording stating The toll free number you have dialed is not available from your area. I did make copies of my receipt and the bill from the post office, but I guess it will not do me any good now.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2008

Purchased an Oster compact refrigerator in July, it has stopped working, tried to contact Oster to obtain warranty service, apparently they are in some sort of dispute with the company that fulfilled their warranties so comsumers are asked to be patient while they work out a solution. Who can sit back and wait with no refrigerator????

Original review: Nov. 11, 2008

We had got the Oster Wine Cooler Model OW0912HGH as a Christmas gift last year and it went out in August 2008. I followed the warranty request requirements as directed by the Oster Appliance Warranty group in Vancouver BC, Canada. They gave me all the information to get a full refund including a Case # H07212008-8439. I got an e-mail confirmation on Sept. 10, 2008 that the refund was in the mail, but guess what no refund to this date. All of their contact information methods such as the phone number and web site is no long obtainable as far as I know after several tries.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2008

I purchased an Oster Wine Cellar in December 2007. It stopped cooling in June and when I called the service department about repairing it, they indicated that the product was no longer made so they would need to issue a refund instead. They gave me a case #, and told me to cut off the power cord from the cooler and send it in with the original receipt. I was told I would receive my refund within 30 days. I still haven't received my refund 4 months later and when I called the Oster Support line today to find out the status of my refund claim, I was told that the company that took my claim info back in July went out of business and is no longer associated with Sunbeam so all she could do was record my issue and have someone call me back. At this point, I don't think that I will ever get my refund but I guess I'll wait and see what Sunbeam has to say after they review my case.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2008

I had a fairly new toaster (item #6332)that I bought at the beginning of the year. I usually do not leave the toaster plugged in but when we last used it, I had left it plugged in. On Tuesday, I got home a bit earlier than usual from work. I was in the restroom changing my clothes when I hear my kids yelling in the kitchen. I come out to the toaster engulfed in flames. The toaster was on a chair that caught on fire, along with my coat that was hanging on the back of the chair. Not to mention that there was a puddle of water on my wood floor from the water my kids were using to try to put the fire out. I had to take the toaster out by it's cord - which is fully intact and take it outside and put the fire out. The toaster is melted and it looks like it combusted. Thankfully no more serious damage was done to my house and family. I have taken pictures of the damage and the toaster itself. I've also emailed Oster and have received no response. The toaster was not in use at the time that the fire started.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2008

We rec'd an Oster Wine Cellar for Christmas. In May it stopped cooling. I called the above telephone number and was told to cut off cord along with receipt and send to above address for refund as I could not return it to Best Buy. I have still not received my refund. I called sunbeam today and was told they would have to get back with me as the company went out of business.

I do not believe that a product that lasts only 5 months takes a company 5 months or longer to try to get a rebate. Also, i believe that if a store sells a product that they should back it up, and although Sunbeam subcontracted this company that they should back it up. I will be sure that any product that has a sunbeam or oster label will never be in my household.

Original review: July 12, 2002

We purchased an Oster Rotiserre/Model 4786 as a gift for our son for Christams 2001.The purchase was made at Mervyns in Pinole, CA. On about the 6th use, while cooking a chicken on the spit, the glass in the door exploded. Glass flew all over the kitchen. The chicken remained on the spit and the spit remained in place. Fortunately no one was hurt.

The company was called and all they said was that if they returned the item it would be replaced. No action was promised to investigate the safety of the item. Therefore, we have not returned the item. Just replacing it does not speak to the fact that there is a serious problem regarding saftey.

Oster Appliances Company Information