2.91/5

Compare Movers

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Open Road Moving & Storage is a licensed, insured and bonded Carrier as well as a licensed moving broker with a large network. Because of our carrier database, we are able to negotiate the best rates for your long-distance move so you can relax during a typically stressful time. We also handle the entire pre-screening process checking things like safety records, reputation, valid DOT numbers, insurance and contracts. Rely on Open Road Moving & Storage as your moving liaison to make your next move a breeze.

Compare Movers

51 Open Road Moving & Storage Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

At first, I was planning on moving my stuff down to Florida myself. I don’t have all that many things and was expecting a moving company cost to be astronomical. I put my information online, and was immediately contacted by Open Road Moving. I was surprised at how affordable the estimate was for, and after a few days of wondering what to do I decided it would be easier to have a company do it for me rather than drive a truck myself.

The movers were great - Very cordial and professional. I was nervous about things being damaged but everything was pretty much exactly as I left it. I was concerned about how long it would be for delivery based on some other reviews but Open Road continued to call me and let me know exactly where the truck was throughout the week. I don’t plan on moving anytime soon, but if I do I would definitely use them again. Highly recommend!

Robby,

Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience. Welcome to Florida!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm giving a 5-star review not because I am a good customer but because of John the manager that dealt with my situation and did a superb job in handling my unfortunate dilemma. We operate a not for profit that was moving a new staff member 3000 miles. The first moving company was unable to meet the deadline and our friends involved in the move canceled the first company and then connected with Open Road. We entered an agreement that day and that night fell upon some published reviews that I passed on to our staff member.

The next morning he and his wife looked at the reviews and freaked out. That lead to some things being said that did not help the situation and made it worse. Since I was paying for the move and I didn't experience the initial conversation after the reading of the reviews, my staff member canceled before consulting with me. I called the company to find out what happened and John handled my call. At this point, I was stuck because any money not refunded would come out of my personal pocket. I believed the call could be a crucial conversation, but I was amazed at the professional treatment I was given. I would say, that I have never been treated in such a professional manner under difficult circumstances. By the time I hung up I was wishing we had kept our business with Open Road.

Remember that even the best of companies are constantly sued, given bad reviews and taken to court by people who are often mad at life or have some financial interest in just being nasty. Anybody can print anything on the internet, but just know, that I was treated more than fair and in the most professional manner of any company I have ever had to deal with. I will recommend Open Road to my friends in the future. I am certain you will be treated fairly for a reasonable price that is very competitive. Safe travels and happy moving!

Tim,

Thank you for sharing about your experience! We wish you the best of luck with the relocation, and look forward to hopefully speaking again in the future!

Management

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had to move my stuff for 300 miles and I hired Open Road Moving. They still have my stuff in storage and I'm going to take it out in another month. The quote they gave was off by quite a bit compared to what I actually had to pay. They gave me a reason why and the price was still a decent amount. They estimated it over the telephone, and then I gave them the description of where I was moving, and then they estimated over the phone. Then when the guys got there, they said, "Oh, this stuff, it’s more and it's heavier." So if I were moving again, I would want someone to come in and actually give me an eyeball estimate and not one over the phone. But overall, Open Road Moving is fine. They did a good job. The guys I worked with were very professional and quick. They knew what they were doing.

John,
      Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage. Please contact our company when you are ready to accept delivery. Best of luck in your new home!

-Management

Original review: July 23, 2018

When choosing a moving company, I spoke to Open Road Moving and they were very quick to respond. After explaining everything that was in my home, and what type of packing I needed, they gave me a quote at what the total cost would be. Although it was a little higher than some of the other quotes I received, I felt like they were the most detailed and asked a lot of important questions, that made me realize that they cared about how accurate the quote was.

On the day of the move, the truck showed up on time with 4 men in the morning. They already had boxes and bubble wrap. The only thing I had to get was the mattress coves. They immediately started to get to work. Two of the men began packing my house and the other two men began disassembling my furniture. The foreman was also busy taking care of the other smaller details. When they were done packing, all 4 men started packing my items into the truck.

I could tell the men really cared about eliminating the potential for damages with how they handled everything from boxes to furniture. After I got into my new home in Philadelphia, the movers arrived the day afterwards, again on time, to start unloading. They put all of my furniture in the rooms I specified and reassembled everything for me. I did not have to lift a finger. These men are professionals and very hardworking. I was expecting a few nicks and dings, but everything was in excellent shape. From start to finish, the customer service team at Open Road was great and met all of my expectations and more.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Getting in touch with Open Road Moving and Storage was very simple. My rep asked me a number of questions regarding my move, and explained how everything was expected to proceed from the pickup to the delivery and everything in between. They sent me over an estimate based, and after comparing against a few different companies, we decided to go with their company based on how thorough they explained everything to us and their reviews online. The team showed up on time to our home in San Diego, and everything basically went as planned on the pickup. We weren't 100% packed, but the movers had extra materials on the truck and helped us pack our mattresses and T.V. Before they left, the foreman gave us an anticipated delivery time between 1-2 weeks.

We got a call 8 days later, letting us know the driver would be arriving the following morning. When the truck came to our home, we were relieved to find everything coming off the truck in good shape. Bruce, the foreman, checked everything off his list to make sure nothing was left behind. The price was the same as the estimate, which was nice because it was actually a little bit higher than the other quotes to begin with. No other company told me about the shuttle charge other than Open Road (being that I moved to downtown Chicago), so I was not surprised when I paid that at delivery. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience using these guys. It was our first move, and hopefully our last, but should we ever need a mover again we will definitely call Open Road.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Open Road Moving & Storage?

Original review: June 5, 2019

I thought I had found a decent moving company to help with my move... boy was I wrong! Everything seemed great until the movers showed up at my door, then it just got worse and worse. I was blatantly lied to and led to believe incorrect things by Open Road Moving and Storage. Unfortunately for me, these lies and half truths didn't come to light until the movers showed up at my door and I was in a tight spot as I had to be out of the house by the next day.

When I called them to discuss the issues I had experience they didn't attempt to make it right. The most they did was offer me $150 (out of a $9,000 move) and say they removed the carrier from their list. That was only after repeated attempts to talk to their customer service department. Most of my messages and e-mails were never answered.

Here are some of the main issues I had with Open Road:

1. My move would not be contracted out to a third party, something I specifically asked about and was assured it was an Open Road truck. Only afterward was I told that all they do is contract out. For just this reason I wouldn't use them. They are only looking for the cheapest bidder for their benefit, not you as a customer.

2. That my move was going to be cheaper than the competitor I got a quote from. This competitor did not include everything on their inventory list, but came up with a weight around 10,000 lb, which was my estimate and which was proven. At the end of the day I would have been incredibly better off going with their competitor.

3. That my quoted price was the absolute maximum I would have to pay unless my weight was more than the estimate, and that if my weight was less it WOULD go down. STAR USA Moving (the actual moving truck the purchased my contract from Open Road) told me that WAS NOT how it worked and that it would only increase because he bid on the total truck cost and it wouldn't be profitable for him if it was any less. I was led to believe that if my weight was less than the estimate I would have a cost reduction for the full amount of each pound less.

It took two hours of haggling, Open Road's involvement and high tension to get to a point where I was offered a cost reduction of half the pound cost for every pound less than my quote. Due to the high tension that pervaded for the remainder of the day I did not hover over the packers as I was worried if I did they would not take care of my household goods. This caused me to not scrutinize every box they packed.

4. If I could go back in time and somehow was forced to use Open Road, I would have lied about the inventory to get my estimated weight down and my wife and I wouldn't have spent a second getting rid of items and packing boxes prior to the movers showing up. I guess that is what you get when you try to be honest.

5. I was told I would need to pay the initial deposit of 25% to Open Road, pay 50% of the remaining in the form of a certified check upon pick-up and the remaining amount upon delivery. I clarified the 50% required for pick-up with Open Road after paying the initial down payment in order that I might only have to purchase one certified check. I even got a certified check above the amount stated by Open Road. Because my bank is primarily online, I had to pay a fee for the certified check as well as a expedited shipping cost which in total ended up being around $50. When STAR Moving USA showed up at my door he insisted I had to pay him no less than 50% of the total moving cost (meaning paying 75%) by the time he left. He also said he did not need a certified check. So not only did I have to pay more than the certified check amount, but I could have saved myself $50 and just written a check.

6. The Open Road price I paid was itemized to show a specific amount of over $1000 for the packing cost. This packing cost was further broken down to the specific number of each type of box required. I was told by Open Road that the more boxes I packed myself, the more I would save. STAR USA Moving refused to do any type of box counting stating that there was no such thing as a separate "packing" cost, that it was a "total" moving package I paid for and that it was impossible to do such a thing because his team would decide the best boxes that needed to be used. I heartily disagree with "best" as you can see from the pictures I hope to attach after I post the review. When I spoke with Open Road that morning I was told I just needed to make him keep track, I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to do that when he flat out refused.

7. The packing job was absolutely horrific.They did NOT use ANY fragile picture boxes! Four of my large pictures where squished together, with nothing in-between them, and wrapped in a blanket. It is a miracle that only one of the frames had broken glass! I am just very thankful that I packed up a lot of my pictures myself before they arrived!

One box had a wooden vanity mirror squished between a suitcase and the box, nothing protecting it. Thankfully it only received a few dent and dings. They also show a jewelry box haphazardly thrown inside the same box. Also, there was a dirty outdoor mat and an open container of bubbles that was also just thrown in the box on top of these items which are a few of the nicer pieces we own. The mat and bubbles were located on the porch and the vanity mirror and the jewelry box were located in the master bedroom which were not even near each other! It's as if they went out of their way to ruin our items.

Our spice cabinet was essentially dumped into a box making a mess of everything else they threw in it. My favorite by far, was a (wardrobe) box that couldn't say more clearly 'I could care less about your belongings.' Books on top of fragile hats, picture frames, white boards and the best, a canvas picture at the bottom. The canvas picture was stretched, but somehow didn't get torn!

8. I was flat out lied to by Open Road and STAR USA Moving about getting climate controlled storage. I specifically asked each more than once if I would be getting climate controlled storage to which I was assured I would be. Due to my horrible experience I elected to pay a little extra and have a second company go and get my stuff out of storage for final delivery. I found out from this company that my household goods WERE NOT stored in a climate controlled storage unit.

The lack-luster responses I got when I brought up all of these issues was severely disheartening. I thought that Open Road would have my back and ensure I was treated fairly. Little did I realize that they would also take advantage of me. I feel like I paid a lot of money for the worst botched moving experience of my life. NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Very bad experience with this company. Called and spoke to Dylan. He gave me a quote of $1444.00 to have us moved. I gave him the complete inventory. Nothing more and nothing less was packed onto the moving truck. 1. The trucking company is a different company that is a subcontractor. 2. They were supposed to show up between 11am and 1pm but didn't show until 7:30pm (in the dark) and didn't leave until 11:00pm. 3. The bill ended up being $1,000 more than DYLAN quoted me because the movers go by sqft not weight. 4. Called DYLAN to speak with him about the situation and he said he would call me back in 3 minutes. He didn't... I sent him an email and he NEVER replied. What a crap company! Bad business. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

One (1) star is too high! Our relationship with Open Road Moving started in July of 2018 and as of today, February 10, 2019, is ongoing. Our move started at a cost of less than $9,000. The final cost was over $24,000. This company has changed names in order to escape their bad reviews. They hire a company that actually performs your move and you are forced to use that company. From start to finish, everything is a lie. We had decided to walk away and accept being robbed until we were forced to pay an additional $3,000 for the cost of the gate keypad replacement at our storage facility which was hit by the movers Open Road hired and forced us to use (AM/PM Movers). We have asked for Open Road's help in recouping our money from AM/PM Movers but they have refused.

Unfortunately, knowing that AM/PM refused to pay for the damage they caused to the Storage Facility, Open Road continues to use AM/PM. We are in the process of filing a complaint with the Investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation as well as the Florida States Attorney's Office. This has been and continues to be a devastating experience for us. My name is Sherri **, my husband is Dennis. I am happy to talk to anyone and provide additional details. I could write pages and pages describing our experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

If I could give negative stars to Open Road Moving and Storage, I would. This company is a scam. We were moving down south and needed a mover. Joe contacted us and told us about all the five star reviews that the company received. You will notice that these five star reviews sound fake, and are from reviewers that have only given one review. After we made the deposit, we discovered that this company is a broker, and passed us on to a completely incompetent moving company. When I called to complain, the manager, Judy, was aggressive and rude, screaming at me on the phone. I am going to relevant authorities about this company’s business practices, but am warning anyone that is considering this company to critically look at the obviously fake reviews on this company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I hired Open Road Moving & Storage to move our household items from OH to WA. I understand that when moving companies give you an estimate over the phone you could end up paying little extra. However, I ended up paying $3,000 more to them, unbelievable. It almost felt like I was robbed. On top of that, when they delivered our household items many of the furniture came damaged and broken. For example, the large TV unit set we had was broken and unrepairable so I ended up calling the junk company and removing it from our house with an extra cost. My bookshelf was broken, our wine rack was missing one of its wheels, the handle of our drawer was broken, and this list goes on and on.

When I called them and explained the situation I was told that they would get back to me. Of course they didn't get back to me so I made another call to ask when they would get back to me with an answer. Their response was "ASAP". It's been more than 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them with any explanation! Not only I had to pay big amount of money for them, they also ended up damaging our furniture and other household items. I'm extremely disappointed with this company and regret hiring them for our moving needs.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Updated on 05/25/2019: This is an update to my previous review of Open Road Moving & Storage here: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/account/reviews/4172105/, which details how they treated me. The FMCSA has since investigated and informed me that the mover they contracted me with was not licensed for interstate moves. They also lied to the investigator and claimed they refunded me when they had not.

Original Review: This company billed me fraudulently for weight that I did not ship. I contracted with Open Road Moving and Storage in August 2018, and they subcontracted through Spirit Van Lines. They refused to furnish me with weight tickets, so I had to weigh my own goods. The weight they billed me for exceeded the actual weight by more than 1,000 pounds.

They also charged item specific fees after their initial quote, even though I disclosed these items when making the initial quote. They also refused to ship my good until I paid the increased balance (more than 110% of the original estimate), without offering me a revised contract, in violation of federal regulations. Further, they lost a box and damaged a couch, washing machine, dryer, weight bench, box spring and grill. My experience with these movers was so poor, I filed a complaint with the USDOT, claim number ** if you want to verify. I have emailed them twice in the past two weeks and they have not responded

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Open Road moving and storage was great. I had to move at the last minute. Thought I was gonna have to pay an arm and a leg. But not with these guys. They made the price binding and walked me through the process every step of the way. I plan to use them on this job and many others. Definitely would recommend to family and friends.

James,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I had such a great experience with Open Road Moving & Storage. The movers were very courteous, informative, and punctual. This company is amazing and so professional and I would definitely recommend them to friends and family. Keep up the good work!!

Samantha,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience!

Management

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I’ve moved many times in my life, and it’s always been such an overwhelming ordeal. That certainly wasn’t the case with Open Road. I didn’t think it was possible, but they actually made moving EASY! Not to mention how affordable it was, and they had great customer service to boot!

Resolution response: Sept. 22, 2018

The company reached out and helped resolve the issue. Communication improved, and we were able to get regular updates on our missing belongings. Throughout this whole experience, the actual movers coming to our home have been very kind and helpful.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This is a broker company. Recently moved using this company. We paid them to schedule third party movers (who we also had to pay) to move our belongings. The third party movers misplaced $4000 worth of our belongings. Open Road customer service (after about 4-5 days of not answering calls/returning calls) told us that it is no longer their responsibility, and we would have to deal with the third party movers ourselves. This is still ongoing, and we have not received our belongings yet. Moving is stressful enough, avoid this company!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I had a last-minute move. I'm in the military, so I have a deadline when I had to be at my next spot, and it was on short notice. I did a Google search and thought Open Road was a moving company. I called them and got my quote the same day I started but it wound up being nowhere near the final price. I had to put down $825 and then they said that they were going to let me know they got company, as well as their contact information, and then figure out what date they could come and start packing up my stuff. That took a week.

Once they gave me the date of picking up my stuff, I went and met the guys at my storage room where my furniture was at and they started doing some calculations and paperwork, and it was off by almost $1,000. When the movers got there, they wanted to price it at square feet and they started coming out with these numbers. I asked them about pricing it at the weight rate because their quote was way off than the previous quote, and they said that they couldn't do that right then. They would have to pack all my stuff and then take it to their company and get it weighed. But whatever that weight was, they had my stuff. I was then stuck paying whatever price they came up with but went ahead and paid in full right then.

They packed my stuff up that day, and I had flown to Virginia. So, when I got here, and my delivery date came and went, I called Open Road Moving and asked them when they were coming. They explained that that delivery date was actually a window date, that it wasn't guaranteed my stuff would be there that day. It got me confused since the paperwork says the delivery date is August 7th. I was upset about that because I was in here on an air mattress, and I had to go buy a TV and then week after week, I was calling, trying to get an update and they kept saying they had to call their company. They would put me on hold, call them, and then they would get back and say they're trying to get the shipment out. It became more upsetting because they said they kept trying to get it out and they’re just waiting on the driver. It didn't help that the quality wasn't very good at all.

The driver called and I went out there, and they had this huge 18-wheeler truck. He said he couldn't fit on my street without even trying. He even said that he would have to charge me extra for that long-distance carry. He then got the rolling tape and started measuring from the truck and it came out to 240 feet, and you start paying after 75 feet. When he did the numbers, I had to pay an extra $250. I told him I was gonna call the company and verify everything, and automatically, he said he would drop it down to $200. So I wound up giving $200 in cash, and he put it on a receipt. All in all, I ended up paying $3,000 for this move. The price just kept getting raised. I was even skeptical with the movers, not even sure that my money didn't go right into their pockets 'cause they told me I had to pay them in cash. I started this move last July, and only recently did I get my furniture.

Desmond,

On your initial estimate, it is clearly stated that you requested 30 days of storage, which we included for free, with free re-delivery. Your estimate also stated your FADD (first available delivery date) was for August 7. Your delivery spread of 14-21 business days (going almost 2800 miles) begins after your first available delivery date.

There is no possible way for your items to be weighed prior to loading the truck, therefore the carrier is required to present you with a revised estimate on site should there be additional items than indicated on the original estimate. Should you prefer going by weight, the carrier will be required to load the truck with your items and weigh the vehicle at the nearest weigh station. Our original estimate is based off the original list of items provided; should you have any additional items/larger load, you will be required to pay for those items.

At your delivery, the carrier could not fit the truck within a reasonable distance from your home. Rather than shuttle the items on a smaller truck (typically a $500 charge for your load size), they decided to manually carry the items to your home from an extended distance. As stated within our agreement, and disclosed over the phone, a long-carry will be charged if the truck cannot park with 75 feet of your front door.

We understand you had a negative experience with our company. We would like the opportunity to discuss your move personally, and try to shine a positive light onto your experience. Please contact our management team at 561-349-8088 at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Awesome staff! Very professional. They helped me organize and ship my HHG over to the mainland and set up proper transportation to get dropped off in NJ. I’ve heard horror stories when it came to moving, this was my first time. I was expecting a lot of anxiety but after our first conversation that was pit to ease. Wouldn’t recommend using any other company!

Christian,

Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was really impressed with the amazing job Josh did getting everything together with the move from Oklahoma City to San Diego. I had no problems and it was such a smooth transition. I just had to leave a review. Give him a raise.

Paris,

Thank you for entrusting Open Road Moving and Storage! Best of luck in your new home!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Dylan and Brian were so great to work with! They made this a very easy process for us. They truly care about what they do. We will be using them again come springtime and will be recommending them to family and friends.

Kelsey,
      Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The move ended up super simple from start to finish. The guys were prompt and were really informative from the sales process to delivery. Extremely happy with the service I was provided. Will be using them again in the future and will recommend to friends and family.

Cheyanne,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Resolution response: Sept. 11, 2018

Open Roads called to address my concerns regarding my move. The representative was very understanding and helpful in resolving issues concerning my move. I was very pleased with their attitude and professionalism. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The rep from Open Road called me back almost immediately after I made the request. My husband died so I changed residence. I was moving from one state to another for about 500 miles. I was moving just a couple of beds and boxes of books so no furniture. You only pay by the weight and you're supposed to pay the difference between the non-loaded truck and the loaded truck. I was given the weight of the truck at the beginning of the trip. But when it was delivered it, I was told the weight stations were all closed because it was raining so hard. They couldn't give me the weight and they said that we would just go with what the quote or the estimate was, which was high because we didn't take a whole bunch of things that were on the quote. I left them for my children.

We also made the same drive and I saw weight stations open. My weight was under what they were saying and they didn't want to give me a refund. I still want to file a complaint for the transportation because if you're paying by weight, they should tell you what the weight is. I don't think Open Road did that part. Whoever they hired to do the moving itself are the people who did that so it feels, to me, a little like a scam.

On the other hand, the people that Open Road hired in New Orleans to load the truck were fabulous. They were very professional. But the people that they hired to unload the truck in Huntsville, Alabama were terrible. They didn't take it to the rooms after I specifically put on each box what room they were supposed to go. They managed to drop it in the garage but when my brother said no, at least they brought it in the living room. So my brother kept saying, "Are you sure? Did you check these people out well enough?" I was thinking they had a really good rating on the internet so I thought they were great, and the guy who called me was very pleasant and helpful, but they were a disappointment.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning, and coming to a resolution to the issues that came up throughout your move process. Please contact our office should you have any additional questions!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

My son's job took him to New York so we were moving all his stuff up there for his house. I talked to a man named Michael in Open Road Moving. He just had called me because I had put out questions, looking for movers. I was getting phone calls from a million movers and he seemed the nicest and the least pushiest. He said, "Okay. You call me. I won't bother you." And that made a lot of sense to me because you know when you’re ready or not. The movers that came and packed up our stuff were wonderful. Then the other moving company that brought the stuff were outstanding. However, nothing went the way Open Road Moving promised me everything was gonna go.

What was explained to me was the furniture would be there within seven to 21 days but it didn't come out the way Open Road Moving said it would. It was from the day we said that we were available to accept the furniture is when the movers would get it on a truck. But Open Road didn't explain that it didn't get delivered right away, that it was 7 to 21 days from that day that it got put on the truck until it would be sent to us. My husband and I left here the day after the furniture was picked up because we told them that we could accept it one day that following week. We ended up having to stay in New York for three weeks, waiting for the furniture. I had to keep calling the company and arguing with them to get my furniture out of storage to get sent to us. It cost us a lot of money to have to stay in New York.

Also, they were supposed to be really good with seniors. The guy that I was working with from there was very condescending. I don't know if he was young. I don't know what the problem was. But sometimes seniors don't understand unless you make it perfectly clear. To me, when they say, "What day are you available for delivery?" that means that within a few days, I should be getting that delivery if I'm available from that day on, or that that's the day I'm gonna get my stuff. But no, that's when it gets on a truck and then it can take 7 seven to 21 days. If they would've just explained that because he said, "Well, you shouldn't have had your stuff put in storage. You should’ve had it left on the truck and then it would have gone out the next day and it would've gotten there when you got there." We told them what day we were gonna be there and that was the day we expected to get our furniture.

I was just so mad I knew I'd never use them again. The rep is too old to be a coordinator. If I was Michael, I wouldn't use this We Care For You Movers because the lady that coordinates your move would cut you off while you were trying to ask a question. She wouldn't answer your questions. And then, when she put me over to this other guy, they charged me for things that I was told by the movers that you're calling about that I wouldn't have to pay. Michael told me I would not have paid for stairs. That was part of the agreement, and I was charged when they got there. They would not take my stuff off the truck until I paid for it. I wouldn't use Michael again because there were some bad coordination with who he was using because it didn't work out. I'm very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was turned onto Open Road Moving & Storage when one of my managers who worked for me used it. I moved from Nashville to Fredericksburg, Virginia due to a promotion at work. I contacted Open Road Moving and they got back to me with a scheduled time where we could walk through the house so they could give me an estimate. I went room-by-room and let them know what was all in the house. They put together an estimate and scheduled a date, a two-day window. It was positive and informative. I was there when they packed everything up. I didn't have an exact location yet to where I was gonna have everything moved so the movers picked it up and they put in a 20x30 storage unit in Tennessee for me for 30 days. The cost was accurate and fair. It was short notice to begin with and then I had to change the move en route, but they were accommodating to my situation.

Resolution response: Sept. 12, 2018

Open road company values each customer and tries their best to resolve every issue that might happen for the customer. So overall it is a good moving company to choose.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I called the agency and they suggested using Open Road Moving & Storage. I located the reviews online and found them pretty good. I moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Silver Spring, Maryland. Open Road Moving first called to make a quote. They asked me how many boxes I had, if I had any furnitures, lamps, to tell them the approximate numbers, then they gave me a quotation. And based on that, they required me to prepare my money at the time the people will come to help me to pick up my stuff. They divided the money into two parts. Half of it I paid when the people picked up the stuff and the rest was paid after they made the delivery.

I called to confirm my pick-up date. Then, the two men came with the truck and then they helped me pick up my stuff. They also made a reservation when they were going to deliver my stuff. After I moved there, they gave me a call then we arranged a time when they can come to deliver my stuff. Everything was in sealed box so it was easy for them to move the stuff to the truck.

I filed a case with the Internal Affairs because they got one missing suitcase during the delivery. I asked them whether they can find it. And then, the person in charge of the storage in Maryland always told me, "Okay, we found it. We are going to deliver today," but once I texted him about what time and when, he always gave me no reply. It happened three times. I don't know what is the purpose of that. If they lost it, they can just tell me. I don't know whether they were just trying to help me find it. They are not treating my case seriously because I constantly call them, but they just postpone all. They are ignoring my case all the way.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I'm in the medical profession and I retired from my job. Since I didn't wanna stay in Massachusetts, a highly expensive state to live in retirement, I moved to North Carolina. Open Road Moving & Storage gave me a quote which was much lower than the other companies. Nobody came to my house. It was all done online and that's the reason why the whole process was not done properly. Mayflower and Allied came to my house but they charge $5,000 and they would have not charged me a single penny more because I have moved from Colorado to Massachusetts, from Missouri to Colorado, and from Iowa to Missouri, and I always used larger companies like Allied and Mayflower because my companies paid for the move.

This past time, I was paying for it, so I thought I would go with a lower cost provider. But apparently, I made a huge mistake. They never came and checked. They just got the list of everything I got and then they said, "Oh, no. The volume is more than what we anticipated and so it's gonna cost you an additional $2,000 and then $1,000 for delivery." So, the total came out to be $6,900, which was just truly outrageous. I couldn't say no because they wouldn't deliver the stuff until I paid.

Open Road Moving charged me an extra $1,000 because I told them that I was not gonna be in North Carolina until Saturday. They said, "No. We are going to deliver on Friday, and if you're not there on Friday, you're gonna have a $1,000 charge for re-delivery on Saturday," which was totally dishonest. The company doesn't know what they are doing. It was a one-bedroom apartment move and they charged me almost $6,700. It was totally out of the picture because of all the additional charges that they kept adding.

Open Road Moving called the extra $1,000a re-delivery charge. I told them I cannot get the keys. I was driving. I had an accident which they didn't even think about. I had an accident on the George Washington Bridge, while I was driving down here, and I still managed to get here on Friday to get the keys, so that I would be able to get their delivery on Saturday. But they said, "No. You need to get here now, or we will leave at your door within an hour." I said, "I'm still driving from Massachusetts to North Carolina. I told you I had written it on the..." and they said, "We don't care. We are here." I even paid $300 on delivery as a tip and I paid $250 when they picked up because I'm a professional.

Open Road Moving did not behave professionally and they are the most unprofessional people in the entire world. I have been to 87 countries in this world and I have never experienced something like this, even in third-world countries like India and China. The whole process was totally wrong. They just took advantage because they knew I was stuck with them.

Resolution response: Sept. 12, 2018

Open Road has reached out to me to compensate for my unsatisfactory experience. Although, my last experience with them wasn't all that great, it's good to know that they really care about their customer's satisfaction and are willing to make things better.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

When I relocated I looked online and turned my information on those websites where there are a lot of different contacts for moving companies. A lot of people started calling me and Open Road was the one who gave me the best deal. The rep asked me roughly what items I have. At that time, I haven't packed them yet and I don't have boxes around. I just gave him a rough estimate. He gave me the quote that was $1,699. That was more affordable compared to all the other companies, so I just went with them. The rep also said they would call me a day before the pick-up just to go over my items again in case there were any changes. On the contract, it said 55 cents per pound and he told me that they calculate by weight. So, I assumed that if I bring more things, they are gonna be heavier.

However, the initial price was different when the actual move happened. The drivers said that they would take their truck to the weight stations. They would take the empty truck there and then they would show me the ticket of how much it weighs and after they load my items, how much it was going to cost me. When the drivers came in, they actually told me it was by capacity. They said they would go through everything. When they did the inventory one more time, they told me that would be another $1,100. They also said I have to remove four extra large boxes, otherwise, I'm going to have to be charged another $400.

Anny,

On behalf of Open Road Moving and Storage, we would like to extend our appreciation for your business. We are glad we could answer all questions you have had, and ensure we fixed the issues that arose during your move process. We wish you the best of luck in your new home!

Management

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I spoke with Brian from Open Road Moving & Storage and he spoke so well with me. I had a rapport with him, so I got them. After the move the only things that I had in this apartment were the twin bed that I rented from Aaron's Rental and my wheelchair. I complained and complained and the rep said they were having problems getting the stuff moved.

I'm handicapped, I can't stand and can't walk, so I depended that I would get my things after the move, but some of my things had also been gone when they finally came. The funny thing that made me so suspicious was when they brought the things here. I asked where the mirrors were because they said they were gonna go through each, tell me each box from the list and they simply started mentioning things. I asked, "How do I know what's what?" They said, "Well, you just go through and if anything's missing, you just call the place and report it." The mirrors are nearly six-feet and they're the type that leans against the wall. Some of them are $400 a mirror, but mine were old. I checked online and the cheapest was $275. I had four mirrors, but they brought not even one mirror. That hurt me so bad.

US Movers had four people they were delivering to in Hollywood. I called US Movers and told them they must have left the things somewhere. The young boy who was helping kept saying, "What about the tall thing in the truck?" The guy kept saying the truck is empty. I said, "You went out and brought stuff?" He said, "I saw some tall thing but he said the truck is empty." I told them that maybe they left the mirrors at somebody else because it took about two weeks to get here and the truck was broken down for about four days. So he called Open Road right away and told them about the mirrors. He said, "Anything else that's missing, you call." I was told to call Michelle which I did and I complained.

When you pack you would know what was missing right away, so I waited until I unpacked everything and sometimes I would be looking for something I wanna use and it was not there. I have tools that I build things from my chair. I had a small and a large measuring tape and both were gone. I bought a wedding band, $500 off of HSN with diamonds. I had it on but my hand had gotten smaller, so I put it in the box with the different custom jewelry that I had. I never thought anybody would have taken that. That wasn't even included in the other $1,600 worth of stuff that went missing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

A great help in all aspects of the move. They were easy to get a hold of, pleasant to work with, and they made the entire process much less stressful than I had anticipated. 10/10. Would recommend to a friend!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This company agreed to one amount on a contract and then when they showed up they required us to tear up the contract and sign a new one at double the cost the whole time holding on to our deposit while intimidating my wife to sign it. What a horrible experience. DO NOT SUBJECT YOUR FAMILY TO THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Beware: They are a broker. They find a moving company for you and then charge you double what you would have paid if you found it on your own. They tell you they do calculation by weight about $0.50/lb plus they get an additional $.50/lb for being the middleman. They told me how they'd be there for me but when I had an issue with pick-up they avoided my calls! I was told here's your 3 day window; we'll call you the day before to let you know which day and around what time. I was at work on break checking my messages & had one from the driving saying he'd be at my house in 60 min. I had to leave work 6 hrs early without pay & unexcused!

As I stated when I tried to call them they didn't want to let me speak to a manager & the sales guy even lied to me to get me off the phone. Finally, after a lot of runaround I talked with a manager who did give me $100 refund (which of course didn't cover my lost wages or time I spent trying to reach someone!). Delivery would be better they told me. I got my 3 day window again. Got a call then before saying when they'd be here. They didn't show, called me said they had issues but would be here the next day. Waited the next day got another call, they had more issues & would be by the next morning. On day three they showed up 1.5 hrs late! Not impressed! They are Not concerned with our time just theirs! Don't waste your money!!!

Open Road Moving & Storage expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. They are a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using their network of moving companies.

• Residential moving services: Open Road Moving and Storage offers packing services in addition to long distance moving. They can help you with a full-service move, or they can haul your belongings from your old home to your new one.

• Commercial moving services: Use Open Road Moving and Storage for all of your commercial move needs, including packing, unpacking, storage and deliveries. They can handle interstate, state-to-state and international commercial moves.

• Auto transport: Open Road Moving and Storage can arrange for the safe transportation of your automobile to your new location. Availability might be limited, so call as soon in advance as possible to schedule.

• Best for: individuals and corporations making interstate moves.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Open Road Moving & Storage Company Information