Call toll free
3.84/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Open Road Moving & Storage is a licensed, insured and bonded Carrier as well as a licensed moving broker with a large network. Because of our carrier database, we are able to negotiate the best rates for your long-distance move so you can relax during a typically stressful time. We also handle the entire pre-screening process checking things like safety records, reputation, valid DOT numbers, insurance and contracts. Rely on Open Road Moving & Storage as your moving liaison to make your next move a breeze.

46 Open Road Moving & Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I hired Open Road Moving & Storage to move our household items from OH to WA. I understand that when moving companies give you an estimate over the phone you could end up paying little extra. However, I ended up paying $3,000 more to them, unbelievable. It almost felt like I was robbed. On top of that, when they delivered our household items many of the furniture came damaged and broken. For example, the large TV unit set we had was broken and unrepairable so I ended up calling the junk company and removing it from our house with an extra cost. My bookshelf was broken, our wine rack was missing one of its wheels, the handle of our drawer was broken, and this list goes on and on.

When I called them and explained the situation I was told that they would get back to me. Of course they didn't get back to me so I made another call to ask when they would get back to me with an answer. Their response was "ASAP". It's been more than 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them with any explanation! Not only I had to pay big amount of money for them, they also ended up damaging our furniture and other household items. I'm extremely disappointed with this company and regret hiring them for our moving needs.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Open Road moving and storage was great. I had to move at the last minute. Thought I was gonna have to pay an arm and a leg. But not with these guys. They made the price binding and walked me through the process every step of the way. I plan to use them on this job and many others. Definitely would recommend to family and friends.

James,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I had such a great experience with Open Road Moving & Storage. The movers were very courteous, informative, and punctual. This company is amazing and so professional and I would definitely recommend them to friends and family. Keep up the good work!!

Samantha,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience!

Management

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm giving a 5-star review not because I am a good customer but because of John the manager that dealt with my situation and did a superb job in handling my unfortunate dilemma. We operate a not for profit that was moving a new staff member 3000 miles. The first moving company was unable to meet the deadline and our friends involved in the move canceled the first company and then connected with Open Road. We entered an agreement that day and that night fell upon some published reviews that I passed on to our staff member.

The next morning he and his wife looked at the reviews and freaked out. That lead to some things being said that did not help the situation and made it worse. Since I was paying for the move and I didn't experience the initial conversation after the reading of the reviews, my staff member canceled before consulting with me. I called the company to find out what happened and John handled my call. At this point, I was stuck because any money not refunded would come out of my personal pocket. I believed the call could be a crucial conversation, but I was amazed at the professional treatment I was given. I would say, that I have never been treated in such a professional manner under difficult circumstances. By the time I hung up I was wishing we had kept our business with Open Road.

Remember that even the best of companies are constantly sued, given bad reviews and taken to court by people who are often mad at life or have some financial interest in just being nasty. Anybody can print anything on the internet, but just know, that I was treated more than fair and in the most professional manner of any company I have ever had to deal with. I will recommend Open Road to my friends in the future. I am certain you will be treated fairly for a reasonable price that is very competitive. Safe travels and happy moving!

Tim,

Thank you for sharing about your experience! We wish you the best of luck with the relocation, and look forward to hopefully speaking again in the future!

Management

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I’ve moved many times in my life, and it’s always been such an overwhelming ordeal. That certainly wasn’t the case with Open Road. I didn’t think it was possible, but they actually made moving EASY! Not to mention how affordable it was, and they had great customer service to boot!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Open Road Moving & Storage?

Resolution response: Sept. 22, 2018

The company reached out and helped resolve the issue. Communication improved, and we were able to get regular updates on our missing belongings. Throughout this whole experience, the actual movers coming to our home have been very kind and helpful.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This is a broker company. Recently moved using this company. We paid them to schedule third party movers (who we also had to pay) to move our belongings. The third party movers misplaced $4000 worth of our belongings. Open Road customer service (after about 4-5 days of not answering calls/returning calls) told us that it is no longer their responsibility, and we would have to deal with the third party movers ourselves. This is still ongoing, and we have not received our belongings yet. Moving is stressful enough, avoid this company!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I had a last-minute move. I'm in the military, so I have a deadline when I had to be at my next spot, and it was on short notice. I did a Google search and thought Open Road was a moving company. I called them and got my quote the same day I started but it wound up being nowhere near the final price. I had to put down $825 and then they said that they were going to let me know they got company, as well as their contact information, and then figure out what date they could come and start packing up my stuff. That took a week.

Once they gave me the date of picking up my stuff, I went and met the guys at my storage room where my furniture was at and they started doing some calculations and paperwork, and it was off by almost $1,000. When the movers got there, they wanted to price it at square feet and they started coming out with these numbers. I asked them about pricing it at the weight rate because their quote was way off than the previous quote, and they said that they couldn't do that right then. They would have to pack all my stuff and then take it to their company and get it weighed. But whatever that weight was, they had my stuff. I was then stuck paying whatever price they came up with but went ahead and paid in full right then.

They packed my stuff up that day, and I had flown to Virginia. So, when I got here, and my delivery date came and went, I called Open Road Moving and asked them when they were coming. They explained that that delivery date was actually a window date, that it wasn't guaranteed my stuff would be there that day. It got me confused since the paperwork says the delivery date is August 7th. I was upset about that because I was in here on an air mattress, and I had to go buy a TV and then week after week, I was calling, trying to get an update and they kept saying they had to call their company. They would put me on hold, call them, and then they would get back and say they're trying to get the shipment out. It became more upsetting because they said they kept trying to get it out and they’re just waiting on the driver. It didn't help that the quality wasn't very good at all.

The driver called and I went out there, and they had this huge 18-wheeler truck. He said he couldn't fit on my street without even trying. He even said that he would have to charge me extra for that long-distance carry. He then got the rolling tape and started measuring from the truck and it came out to 240 feet, and you start paying after 75 feet. When he did the numbers, I had to pay an extra $250. I told him I was gonna call the company and verify everything, and automatically, he said he would drop it down to $200. So I wound up giving $200 in cash, and he put it on a receipt. All in all, I ended up paying $3,000 for this move. The price just kept getting raised. I was even skeptical with the movers, not even sure that my money didn't go right into their pockets 'cause they told me I had to pay them in cash. I started this move last July, and only recently did I get my furniture.

Desmond,

On your initial estimate, it is clearly stated that you requested 30 days of storage, which we included for free, with free re-delivery. Your estimate also stated your FADD (first available delivery date) was for August 7. Your delivery spread of 14-21 business days (going almost 2800 miles) begins after your first available delivery date.

There is no possible way for your items to be weighed prior to loading the truck, therefore the carrier is required to present you with a revised estimate on site should there be additional items than indicated on the original estimate. Should you prefer going by weight, the carrier will be required to load the truck with your items and weigh the vehicle at the nearest weigh station. Our original estimate is based off the original list of items provided; should you have any additional items/larger load, you will be required to pay for those items.

At your delivery, the carrier could not fit the truck within a reasonable distance from your home. Rather than shuttle the items on a smaller truck (typically a $500 charge for your load size), they decided to manually carry the items to your home from an extended distance. As stated within our agreement, and disclosed over the phone, a long-carry will be charged if the truck cannot park with 75 feet of your front door.

We understand you had a negative experience with our company. We would like the opportunity to discuss your move personally, and try to shine a positive light onto your experience. Please contact our management team at 561-349-8088 at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Awesome staff! Very professional. They helped me organize and ship my HHG over to the mainland and set up proper transportation to get dropped off in NJ. I’ve heard horror stories when it came to moving, this was my first time. I was expecting a lot of anxiety but after our first conversation that was pit to ease. Wouldn’t recommend using any other company!

Christian,

Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was really impressed with the amazing job Josh did getting everything together with the move from Oklahoma City to San Diego. I had no problems and it was such a smooth transition. I just had to leave a review. Give him a raise.

Paris,

Thank you for entrusting Open Road Moving and Storage! Best of luck in your new home!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Dylan and Brian were so great to work with! They made this a very easy process for us. They truly care about what they do. We will be using them again come springtime and will be recommending them to family and friends.

Kelsey,
Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The move ended up super simple from start to finish. The guys were prompt and were really informative from the sales process to delivery. Extremely happy with the service I was provided. Will be using them again in the future and will recommend to friends and family.

Cheyanne,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

~Management

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had to move my stuff for 300 miles and I hired Open Road Moving. They still have my stuff in storage and I'm going to take it out in another month. The quote they gave was off by quite a bit compared to what I actually had to pay. They gave me a reason why and the price was still a decent amount. They estimated it over the telephone, and then I gave them the description of where I was moving, and then they estimated over the phone. Then when the guys got there, they said, "Oh, this stuff, it’s more and it's heavier." So if I were moving again, I would want someone to come in and actually give me an eyeball estimate and not one over the phone. But overall, Open Road Moving is fine. They did a good job. The guys I worked with were very professional and quick. They knew what they were doing.

John,
Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage. Please contact our company when you are ready to accept delivery. Best of luck in your new home!

-Management

Resolution response: Sept. 11, 2018

Open Roads called to address my concerns regarding my move. The representative was very understanding and helpful in resolving issues concerning my move. I was very pleased with their attitude and professionalism. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The rep from Open Road called me back almost immediately after I made the request. My husband died so I changed residence. I was moving from one state to another for about 500 miles. I was moving just a couple of beds and boxes of books so no furniture. You only pay by the weight and you're supposed to pay the difference between the non-loaded truck and the loaded truck. I was given the weight of the truck at the beginning of the trip. But when it was delivered it, I was told the weight stations were all closed because it was raining so hard. They couldn't give me the weight and they said that we would just go with what the quote or the estimate was, which was high because we didn't take a whole bunch of things that were on the quote. I left them for my children.

We also made the same drive and I saw weight stations open. My weight was under what they were saying and they didn't want to give me a refund. I still want to file a complaint for the transportation because if you're paying by weight, they should tell you what the weight is. I don't think Open Road did that part. Whoever they hired to do the moving itself are the people who did that so it feels, to me, a little like a scam.

On the other hand, the people that Open Road hired in New Orleans to load the truck were fabulous. They were very professional. But the people that they hired to unload the truck in Huntsville, Alabama were terrible. They didn't take it to the rooms after I specifically put on each box what room they were supposed to go. They managed to drop it in the garage but when my brother said no, at least they brought it in the living room. So my brother kept saying, "Are you sure? Did you check these people out well enough?" I was thinking they had a really good rating on the internet so I thought they were great, and the guy who called me was very pleasant and helpful, but they were a disappointment.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning, and coming to a resolution to the issues that came up throughout your move process. Please contact our office should you have any additional questions!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

My son's job took him to New York so we were moving all his stuff up there for his house. I talked to a man named Michael in Open Road Moving. He just had called me because I had put out questions, looking for movers. I was getting phone calls from a million movers and he seemed the nicest and the least pushiest. He said, "Okay. You call me. I won't bother you." And that made a lot of sense to me because you know when you’re ready or not. The movers that came and packed up our stuff were wonderful. Then the other moving company that brought the stuff were outstanding. However, nothing went the way Open Road Moving promised me everything was gonna go.

What was explained to me was the furniture would be there within seven to 21 days but it didn't come out the way Open Road Moving said it would. It was from the day we said that we were available to accept the furniture is when the movers would get it on a truck. But Open Road didn't explain that it didn't get delivered right away, that it was 7 to 21 days from that day that it got put on the truck until it would be sent to us. My husband and I left here the day after the furniture was picked up because we told them that we could accept it one day that following week. We ended up having to stay in New York for three weeks, waiting for the furniture. I had to keep calling the company and arguing with them to get my furniture out of storage to get sent to us. It cost us a lot of money to have to stay in New York.

Also, they were supposed to be really good with seniors. The guy that I was working with from there was very condescending. I don't know if he was young. I don't know what the problem was. But sometimes seniors don't understand unless you make it perfectly clear. To me, when they say, "What day are you available for delivery?" that means that within a few days, I should be getting that delivery if I'm available from that day on, or that that's the day I'm gonna get my stuff. But no, that's when it gets on a truck and then it can take 7 seven to 21 days. If they would've just explained that because he said, "Well, you shouldn't have had your stuff put in storage. You should’ve had it left on the truck and then it would have gone out the next day and it would've gotten there when you got there." We told them what day we were gonna be there and that was the day we expected to get our furniture.

I was just so mad I knew I'd never use them again. The rep is too old to be a coordinator. If I was Michael, I wouldn't use this We Care For You Movers because the lady that coordinates your move would cut you off while you were trying to ask a question. She wouldn't answer your questions. And then, when she put me over to this other guy, they charged me for things that I was told by the movers that you're calling about that I wouldn't have to pay. Michael told me I would not have paid for stairs. That was part of the agreement, and I was charged when they got there. They would not take my stuff off the truck until I paid for it. I wouldn't use Michael again because there were some bad coordination with who he was using because it didn't work out. I'm very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was turned onto Open Road Moving & Storage when one of my managers who worked for me used it. I moved from Nashville to Fredericksburg, Virginia due to a promotion at work. I contacted Open Road Moving and they got back to me with a scheduled time where we could walk through the house so they could give me an estimate. I went room-by-room and let them know what was all in the house. They put together an estimate and scheduled a date, a two-day window. It was positive and informative. I was there when they packed everything up. I didn't have an exact location yet to where I was gonna have everything moved so the movers picked it up and they put in a 20x30 storage unit in Tennessee for me for 30 days. The cost was accurate and fair. It was short notice to begin with and then I had to change the move en route, but they were accommodating to my situation.

Resolution response: Sept. 12, 2018

Open road company values each customer and tries their best to resolve every issue that might happen for the customer. So overall it is a good moving company to choose.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I called the agency and they suggested using Open Road Moving & Storage. I located the reviews online and found them pretty good. I moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Silver Spring, Maryland. Open Road Moving first called to make a quote. They asked me how many boxes I had, if I had any furnitures, lamps, to tell them the approximate numbers, then they gave me a quotation. And based on that, they required me to prepare my money at the time the people will come to help me to pick up my stuff. They divided the money into two parts. Half of it I paid when the people picked up the stuff and the rest was paid after they made the delivery.

I called to confirm my pick-up date. Then, the two men came with the truck and then they helped me pick up my stuff. They also made a reservation when they were going to deliver my stuff. After I moved there, they gave me a call then we arranged a time when they can come to deliver my stuff. Everything was in sealed box so it was easy for them to move the stuff to the truck.

I filed a case with the Internal Affairs because they got one missing suitcase during the delivery. I asked them whether they can find it. And then, the person in charge of the storage in Maryland always told me, "Okay, we found it. We are going to deliver today," but once I texted him about what time and when, he always gave me no reply. It happened three times. I don't know what is the purpose of that. If they lost it, they can just tell me. I don't know whether they were just trying to help me find it. They are not treating my case seriously because I constantly call them, but they just postpone all. They are ignoring my case all the way.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I'm in the medical profession and I retired from my job. Since I didn't wanna stay in Massachusetts, a highly expensive state to live in retirement, I moved to North Carolina. Open Road Moving & Storage gave me a quote which was much lower than the other companies. Nobody came to my house. It was all done online and that's the reason why the whole process was not done properly. Mayflower and Allied came to my house but they charge $5,000 and they would have not charged me a single penny more because I have moved from Colorado to Massachusetts, from Missouri to Colorado, and from Iowa to Missouri, and I always used larger companies like Allied and Mayflower because my companies paid for the move.

This past time, I was paying for it, so I thought I would go with a lower cost provider. But apparently, I made a huge mistake. They never came and checked. They just got the list of everything I got and then they said, "Oh, no. The volume is more than what we anticipated and so it's gonna cost you an additional $2,000 and then $1,000 for delivery." So, the total came out to be $6,900, which was just truly outrageous. I couldn't say no because they wouldn't deliver the stuff until I paid.

Open Road Moving charged me an extra $1,000 because I told them that I was not gonna be in North Carolina until Saturday. They said, "No. We are going to deliver on Friday, and if you're not there on Friday, you're gonna have a $1,000 charge for re-delivery on Saturday," which was totally dishonest. The company doesn't know what they are doing. It was a one-bedroom apartment move and they charged me almost $6,700. It was totally out of the picture because of all the additional charges that they kept adding.

Open Road Moving called the extra $1,000a re-delivery charge. I told them I cannot get the keys. I was driving. I had an accident which they didn't even think about. I had an accident on the George Washington Bridge, while I was driving down here, and I still managed to get here on Friday to get the keys, so that I would be able to get their delivery on Saturday. But they said, "No. You need to get here now, or we will leave at your door within an hour." I said, "I'm still driving from Massachusetts to North Carolina. I told you I had written it on the..." and they said, "We don't care. We are here." I even paid $300 on delivery as a tip and I paid $250 when they picked up because I'm a professional.

Open Road Moving did not behave professionally and they are the most unprofessional people in the entire world. I have been to 87 countries in this world and I have never experienced something like this, even in third-world countries like India and China. The whole process was totally wrong. They just took advantage because they knew I was stuck with them.

Resolution response: Sept. 12, 2018

Open Road has reached out to me to compensate for my unsatisfactory experience. Although, my last experience with them wasn't all that great, it's good to know that they really care about their customer's satisfaction and are willing to make things better.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

When I relocated I looked online and turned my information on those websites where there are a lot of different contacts for moving companies. A lot of people started calling me and Open Road was the one who gave me the best deal. The rep asked me roughly what items I have. At that time, I haven't packed them yet and I don't have boxes around. I just gave him a rough estimate. He gave me the quote that was $1,699. That was more affordable compared to all the other companies, so I just went with them. The rep also said they would call me a day before the pick-up just to go over my items again in case there were any changes. On the contract, it said 55 cents per pound and he told me that they calculate by weight. So, I assumed that if I bring more things, they are gonna be heavier.

However, the initial price was different when the actual move happened. The drivers said that they would take their truck to the weight stations. They would take the empty truck there and then they would show me the ticket of how much it weighs and after they load my items, how much it was going to cost me. When the drivers came in, they actually told me it was by capacity. They said they would go through everything. When they did the inventory one more time, they told me that would be another $1,100. They also said I have to remove four extra large boxes, otherwise, I'm going to have to be charged another $400.

Anny,

On behalf of Open Road Moving and Storage, we would like to extend our appreciation for your business. We are glad we could answer all questions you have had, and ensure we fixed the issues that arose during your move process. We wish you the best of luck in your new home!

Management

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I spoke with Brian from Open Road Moving & Storage and he spoke so well with me. I had a rapport with him, so I got them. After the move the only things that I had in this apartment were the twin bed that I rented from Aaron's Rental and my wheelchair. I complained and complained and the rep said they were having problems getting the stuff moved.

I'm handicapped, I can't stand and can't walk, so I depended that I would get my things after the move, but some of my things had also been gone when they finally came. The funny thing that made me so suspicious was when they brought the things here. I asked where the mirrors were because they said they were gonna go through each, tell me each box from the list and they simply started mentioning things. I asked, "How do I know what's what?" They said, "Well, you just go through and if anything's missing, you just call the place and report it." The mirrors are nearly six-feet and they're the type that leans against the wall. Some of them are $400 a mirror, but mine were old. I checked online and the cheapest was $275. I had four mirrors, but they brought not even one mirror. That hurt me so bad.

US Movers had four people they were delivering to in Hollywood. I called US Movers and told them they must have left the things somewhere. The young boy who was helping kept saying, "What about the tall thing in the truck?" The guy kept saying the truck is empty. I said, "You went out and brought stuff?" He said, "I saw some tall thing but he said the truck is empty." I told them that maybe they left the mirrors at somebody else because it took about two weeks to get here and the truck was broken down for about four days. So he called Open Road right away and told them about the mirrors. He said, "Anything else that's missing, you call." I was told to call Michelle which I did and I complained.

When you pack you would know what was missing right away, so I waited until I unpacked everything and sometimes I would be looking for something I wanna use and it was not there. I have tools that I build things from my chair. I had a small and a large measuring tape and both were gone. I bought a wedding band, $500 off of HSN with diamonds. I had it on but my hand had gotten smaller, so I put it in the box with the different custom jewelry that I had. I never thought anybody would have taken that. That wasn't even included in the other $1,600 worth of stuff that went missing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

A great help in all aspects of the move. They were easy to get a hold of, pleasant to work with, and they made the entire process much less stressful than I had anticipated. 10/10. Would recommend to a friend!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This company agreed to one amount on a contract and then when they showed up they required us to tear up the contract and sign a new one at double the cost the whole time holding on to our deposit while intimidating my wife to sign it. What a horrible experience. DO NOT SUBJECT YOUR FAMILY TO THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Beware: They are a broker. They find a moving company for you and then charge you double what you would have paid if you found it on your own. They tell you they do calculation by weight about $0.50/lb plus they get an additional $.50/lb for being the middleman. They told me how they'd be there for me but when I had an issue with pick-up they avoided my calls! I was told here's your 3 day window; we'll call you the day before to let you know which day and around what time. I was at work on break checking my messages & had one from the driving saying he'd be at my house in 60 min. I had to leave work 6 hrs early without pay & unexcused!

As I stated when I tried to call them they didn't want to let me speak to a manager & the sales guy even lied to me to get me off the phone. Finally, after a lot of runaround I talked with a manager who did give me $100 refund (which of course didn't cover my lost wages or time I spent trying to reach someone!). Delivery would be better they told me. I got my 3 day window again. Got a call then before saying when they'd be here. They didn't show, called me said they had issues but would be here the next day. Waited the next day got another call, they had more issues & would be by the next morning. On day three they showed up 1.5 hrs late! Not impressed! They are Not concerned with our time just theirs! Don't waste your money!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Great job from start to finish. Everything was done right with no problem. The whole crew was professional and respectful in every way possible. Will definitely be using you guys again. It was pleasure doing business with you guys and I will be recommending you to my friends.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

After hours upon hours of research on the internet I was very nervous when selecting a moving company. Thank heavens I was able to find Open Road Moving and Storage. From the first phone call to the final drop off everything was top notch and professional. The sales rep that I spoke with let me know what to expect on my move and my expectations were met. I would definitely select Open Road Moving & Storage on my next move.

Julianna,

Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience! We wish you the best of luck in your new home!

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2018

The company owner called me and personally apologized for what went wrong. He showed me the root cause analysis and redemption he did. I am satisfied with his response. He said he took a month leave so couldn't act sooner, but he has taken below steps:

1. He described how his company is a movement broker company and sometimes can't control what his vendor do.

2. Based on my response and another guy response for the same vendor, he has fired that vendor from his company.

Above 2 points are enough for me to change the rating for this company. However, he has also offered me an extra $200 discount for my troubles. He also informed me that they only take 50% of the deposit they got and in my case, with $200 discount they are made -$16 loss with my movement.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL CHEAT YOU, AND THEY WILL CHEAT YOU IN YOUR LAST DAY OF MOVEMENT SO YOU CAN'T BACK OFF. This company is a cheat and scam. Do not use them!! I heard about this company and was moving from Boston to Virginia. They quoted my price to be $1600 for 8 boxes, 4 tables, a bed frame (frame only), Vaccum, couple of chairs, and treadmill. A bit high price, but ok.

1st SCAM: They didn't come till the last day of they said they would come. They just called me and asked me tell my wife to coordinate that they'll come next week. I am single and that was not acceptable as it was June 30th and I had rented till that day. They said they can't, I literally had to beg my landlord for 3 extra days.

2nd SCAM: After 3 days, they came and quoted $2500 (minus 300 dollar discount for referral and delay) without treadmill. 3rd SCAM: We were clear on the phone with agent that if the treadmill is foldable they dont charge for opening fees. They said it will be $300 opening fee for treadmill and extra money for weight and space. By now I had to pay $3000 for the things that I was quoted $1600.

4th Scam: I had to throw my expensive treadmill and after referral discount and all I paid $2200. My things finally came to Virginia, as soon as I opened my furniture, it fell into pieces. Moreover, they didn't bring any of the screw of my furniture and bluntly told me to "go to Walmart and buy screws as it's so cheap". 5th SCAM: After calling the headquarter company they just hung up on me stating "We are just broker and all of the companies they serve has their own policy." Trust Me: DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

HUGE SCAM! Imagine your worst nightmare then multiply that by 1,000!! They are brokers and hire another company to handle your move and they apparently have ZERO communication with the company they hire! I was promised that I could pay with credit card (was even put in my contract) and was on the phone for an hour giving them an entire inventory of my belongings which isn't much! It's for a small 2 bedroom in NY! They told me it was $2300 based on the estimated weight of the furniture and approximately 20 medium boxes for use was estimated in that total!

A moving company from Jersey showed up and they told me it's not by the weight - it's cubic feet and that from seeing the stuff in the house it's going to be triple the $2300! I said, "Well this stuff isn't even worth that! I'll just throw it out and buy new stuff for 10k!" He told me that I would lose my $1900 deposit and be charged for them coming there for every hour spent. We said screw it we had to be out the house that weekend so we ended up just bringing essentials and left everything from the kitchen, left behind a dresser, all my kids' toys and high chairs, swings, baby items and 20 boxes went down to only 6!!! We lost almost everything and still was charged over 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS! $1300 of that is just a broker fee!!! Has nothing to even do with the movers themselves! What a scam!

Then remember how I said charging it to my credit card was in my contract? Well the movers didn't take credit card and demanded a money order for over 5k!!! I started to cry and said I didn't have that money. I was promised it could be charged to my card and it was in my contract and they said, "That's the broker and not our company and they were misinformed!" I said, "Well I don't have that kind of money and would have never booked it!" The owner of the company said he would charge the card but I had to fax all types of authorization forms and copies of my license and credit cards to him and he would not release my belongings until he received this stuff! We got it to them the very next day!

To make matters worse, they picked up my stuff July 25 (2 weeks ago!) my delivery date was August 1st! I am 6 months pregnant and me and my kids are in our new house sleeping on the floor!! They tried to tell me it was because there was a hold because the credit card ordeal! I said, "You charged my card that same day and got your payment, the documents were sent the next day, how is that a reason why it's taking 2 weeks for my stuff to get here?" All they keep telling me is to wait by the phone for the driver to call 24 hours before delivery! No compassion! They could give two craps! They got their money and my stuff and it's God knows where!!! Biggest scam ever! PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY!!! I have the paperwork and documents if you don't believe me.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We choose Open Road Moving & Storage for moving our stuff from Az to IL. First, they said they will reach our place at 12 pm, but they reached by 7 pm in the evening, still, it was fine for us. They took our stuff on 23-June-2018 and after reaching Illinois we mail the moving date as 03-July-2018. But till date

(8-Aug-2018) we didn't get our stuff. We are following up with them every day every week, most of the time they don't answer it, if they answer, they give some or other excuses. Like we deliver stuff within 30 days, when 30 days are over then we don't count holidays in those 30 days. And when all 30 days are over excluding holidays, they are lying and said, "Your moving date as per carrier is 03-Aug-2018." They are just a bunch of liars. Please don't hire them. We are really frustrated and fed up. Don't know when we will get our stuff. :(

Mithilesh,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon, and attempting to come to a resolution together. I have contacted the moving carrier to expedite your delivery time frame. As discussed, when a client requests 30 days of storage, it does not become a priority delivery until notified. We will also work out financial compensation through Open Road Moving and Storage, as well as advocate for you to receive compensation from Move on Moving (your moving carrier) for the late delivery.

My direct line is (561)-349-8088. Please contact myself directly at this number, so everyone can be on the same page with one another.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I recently found myself in a position where I had to move from Georgia to Nevada with little pre-planning. I worked with Matt in the Sales department who was very thorough and courteous. (I had to change my move date several times.) Additionally, I worked with Tracy and she was very friendly and accurate. My move went off excellently and by chance I received by belongings in two days. I was ecstatic because I had been living out of a suitcase in Nevada because of a family emergency. I am so grateful I was treated like family and well taken care of. I can never thank you enough. My belongings were brought in the house put where I wanted them. Everything was as promised. I would give them a 10 if I could.

Terri,

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

A word to the wise: KEEP MOVING AND SKIP THIS COMPANY. Needed to move our daughter's furniture from St. Louis to Boston and hired OPEN ROAD MOVING to do so. They broker the arrangements with independent movers and we were connected with a band of movers that kept canceling or not showing, then calling at 10 pm and wanting to come then. Finally, we were told that they would show between 2-4 pm last Saturday to collect her furniture and boxes. By 6 pm, they had not shown, nor were they responding to our calls. No one was available at the Open Road number to help us. As we left for dinner demoralized, and already far too late to get her furniture to Boston on time, they called and told us they would be there in an hour and that we had to have 500 dollars cash or money order or they would not move us.

Needless to say, we were shocked at the cash request and when we balked, they said that they wouldn't come and we would be out our deposit. The interaction left us afraid to let these guys anywhere near us. Open Road was of no help, did not answer their phones nor call back. And they kept the deposit. So our daughter has left, with no furniture and her belongings shipped through Greyhound. Look carefully at their fake reviews. Be aware they take no responsibility for the behaviors and demands of the movers they broker for, and feel entitled to your money when things go wrong. There is no contract other than their cancellation policy and no obligation to you. Look elsewhere. You get what you pay for. We got a band of pirates, not movers. Remove review.

Original review: July 23, 2018

When choosing a moving company, I spoke to Open Road Moving and they were very quick to respond. After explaining everything that was in my home, and what type of packing I needed, they gave me a quote at what the total cost would be. Although it was a little higher than some of the other quotes I received, I felt like they were the most detailed and asked a lot of important questions, that made me realize that they cared about how accurate the quote was.

On the day of the move, the truck showed up on time with 4 men in the morning. They already had boxes and bubble wrap. The only thing I had to get was the mattress coves. They immediately started to get to work. Two of the men began packing my house and the other two men began disassembling my furniture. The foreman was also busy taking care of the other smaller details. When they were done packing, all 4 men started packing my items into the truck.

I could tell the men really cared about eliminating the potential for damages with how they handled everything from boxes to furniture. After I got into my new home in Philadelphia, the movers arrived the day afterwards, again on time, to start unloading. They put all of my furniture in the rooms I specified and reassembled everything for me. I did not have to lift a finger. These men are professionals and very hardworking. I was expecting a few nicks and dings, but everything was in excellent shape. From start to finish, the customer service team at Open Road was great and met all of my expectations and more.

Open Road Moving & Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. They are a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using their network of moving companies.

• Residential moving services: Open Road Moving and Storage offers packing services in addition to long distance moving. They can help you with a full-service move, or they can haul your belongings from your old home to your new one.

• Commercial moving services: Use Open Road Moving and Storage for all of your commercial move needs, including packing, unpacking, storage and deliveries. They can handle interstate, state-to-state and international commercial moves.

• Auto transport: Open Road Moving and Storage can arrange for the safe transportation of your automobile to your new location. Availability might be limited, so call as soon in advance as possible to schedule.

• Best for: individuals and corporations making interstate moves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs