3.61/5

Compare Movers

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Open Road Moving & Storage is a licensed, insured and bonded Carrier as well as a licensed moving broker with a large network. Because of our carrier database, we are able to negotiate the best rates for your long-distance move so you can relax during a typically stressful time. We also handle the entire pre-screening process checking things like safety records, reputation, valid DOT numbers, insurance and contracts. Rely on Open Road Moving & Storage as your moving liaison to make your next move a breeze.

Open Road Moving & Storage Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

I thought I had found a decent moving company to help with my move... boy was I wrong! Everything seemed great until the movers showed up at my door, then it just got worse and worse. I was blatantly lied to and led to believe incorrect things by Open Road Moving and Storage. Unfortunately for me, these lies and half truths didn't come to light until the movers showed up at my door and I was in a tight spot as I had to be out of the house by the next day.

When I called them to discuss the issues I had experience they didn't attempt to make it right. The most they did was offer me $150 (out of a $9,000 move) and say they removed the carrier from their list. That was only after repeated attempts to talk to their customer service department. Most of my messages and e-mails were never answered.

Here are some of the main issues I had with Open Road:

1. My move would not be contracted out to a third party, something I specifically asked about and was assured it was an Open Road truck. Only afterward was I told that all they do is contract out. For just this reason I wouldn't use them. They are only looking for the cheapest bidder for their benefit, not you as a customer.

2. That my move was going to be cheaper than the competitor I got a quote from. This competitor did not include everything on their inventory list, but came up with a weight around 10,000 lb, which was my estimate and which was proven. At the end of the day I would have been incredibly better off going with their competitor.

3. That my quoted price was the absolute maximum I would have to pay unless my weight was more than the estimate, and that if my weight was less it WOULD go down. STAR USA Moving (the actual moving truck the purchased my contract from Open Road) told me that WAS NOT how it worked and that it would only increase because he bid on the total truck cost and it wouldn't be profitable for him if it was any less. I was led to believe that if my weight was less than the estimate I would have a cost reduction for the full amount of each pound less.

It took two hours of haggling, Open Road's involvement and high tension to get to a point where I was offered a cost reduction of half the pound cost for every pound less than my quote. Due to the high tension that pervaded for the remainder of the day I did not hover over the packers as I was worried if I did they would not take care of my household goods. This caused me to not scrutinize every box they packed.

4. If I could go back in time and somehow was forced to use Open Road, I would have lied about the inventory to get my estimated weight down and my wife and I wouldn't have spent a second getting rid of items and packing boxes prior to the movers showing up. I guess that is what you get when you try to be honest.

5. I was told I would need to pay the initial deposit of 25% to Open Road, pay 50% of the remaining in the form of a certified check upon pick-up and the remaining amount upon delivery. I clarified the 50% required for pick-up with Open Road after paying the initial down payment in order that I might only have to purchase one certified check. I even got a certified check above the amount stated by Open Road. Because my bank is primarily online, I had to pay a fee for the certified check as well as a expedited shipping cost which in total ended up being around $50. When STAR Moving USA showed up at my door he insisted I had to pay him no less than 50% of the total moving cost (meaning paying 75%) by the time he left. He also said he did not need a certified check. So not only did I have to pay more than the certified check amount, but I could have saved myself $50 and just written a check.

6. The Open Road price I paid was itemized to show a specific amount of over $1000 for the packing cost. This packing cost was further broken down to the specific number of each type of box required. I was told by Open Road that the more boxes I packed myself, the more I would save. STAR USA Moving refused to do any type of box counting stating that there was no such thing as a separate "packing" cost, that it was a "total" moving package I paid for and that it was impossible to do such a thing because his team would decide the best boxes that needed to be used. I heartily disagree with "best" as you can see from the pictures I hope to attach after I post the review. When I spoke with Open Road that morning I was told I just needed to make him keep track, I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to do that when he flat out refused.

7. The packing job was absolutely horrific.They did NOT use ANY fragile picture boxes! Four of my large pictures where squished together, with nothing in-between them, and wrapped in a blanket. It is a miracle that only one of the frames had broken glass! I am just very thankful that I packed up a lot of my pictures myself before they arrived!

One box had a wooden vanity mirror squished between a suitcase and the box, nothing protecting it. Thankfully it only received a few dent and dings. They also show a jewelry box haphazardly thrown inside the same box. Also, there was a dirty outdoor mat and an open container of bubbles that was also just thrown in the box on top of these items which are a few of the nicer pieces we own. The mat and bubbles were located on the porch and the vanity mirror and the jewelry box were located in the master bedroom which were not even near each other! It's as if they went out of their way to ruin our items.

Our spice cabinet was essentially dumped into a box making a mess of everything else they threw in it. My favorite by far, was a (wardrobe) box that couldn't say more clearly 'I could care less about your belongings.' Books on top of fragile hats, picture frames, white boards and the best, a canvas picture at the bottom. The canvas picture was stretched, but somehow didn't get torn!

8. I was flat out lied to by Open Road and STAR USA Moving about getting climate controlled storage. I specifically asked each more than once if I would be getting climate controlled storage to which I was assured I would be. Due to my horrible experience I elected to pay a little extra and have a second company go and get my stuff out of storage for final delivery. I found out from this company that my household goods WERE NOT stored in a climate controlled storage unit.

The lack-luster responses I got when I brought up all of these issues was severely disheartening. I thought that Open Road would have my back and ensure I was treated fairly. Little did I realize that they would also take advantage of me. I feel like I paid a lot of money for the worst botched moving experience of my life. NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Very bad experience with this company. Called and spoke to Dylan. He gave me a quote of $1444.00 to have us moved. I gave him the complete inventory. Nothing more and nothing less was packed onto the moving truck. 1. The trucking company is a different company that is a subcontractor. 2. They were supposed to show up between 11am and 1pm but didn't show until 7:30pm (in the dark) and didn't leave until 11:00pm. 3. The bill ended up being $1,000 more than DYLAN quoted me because the movers go by sqft not weight. 4. Called DYLAN to speak with him about the situation and he said he would call me back in 3 minutes. He didn't... I sent him an email and he NEVER replied. What a crap company! Bad business. Beware!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

One (1) star is too high! Our relationship with Open Road Moving started in July of 2018 and as of today, February 10, 2019, is ongoing. Our move started at a cost of less than $9,000. The final cost was over $24,000. This company has changed names in order to escape their bad reviews. They hire a company that actually performs your move and you are forced to use that company. From start to finish, everything is a lie. We had decided to walk away and accept being robbed until we were forced to pay an additional $3,000 for the cost of the gate keypad replacement at our storage facility which was hit by the movers Open Road hired and forced us to use (AM/PM Movers). We have asked for Open Road's help in recouping our money from AM/PM Movers but they have refused.

Unfortunately, knowing that AM/PM refused to pay for the damage they caused to the Storage Facility, Open Road continues to use AM/PM. We are in the process of filing a complaint with the Investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation as well as the Florida States Attorney's Office. This has been and continues to be a devastating experience for us. My name is Sherri **, my husband is Dennis. I am happy to talk to anyone and provide additional details. I could write pages and pages describing our experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

If I could give negative stars to Open Road Moving and Storage, I would. This company is a scam. We were moving down south and needed a mover. Joe contacted us and told us about all the five star reviews that the company received. You will notice that these five star reviews sound fake, and are from reviewers that have only given one review. After we made the deposit, we discovered that this company is a broker, and passed us on to a completely incompetent moving company. When I called to complain, the manager, Judy, was aggressive and rude, screaming at me on the phone. I am going to relevant authorities about this company’s business practices, but am warning anyone that is considering this company to critically look at the obviously fake reviews on this company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I hired Open Road Moving & Storage to move our household items from OH to WA. I understand that when moving companies give you an estimate over the phone you could end up paying little extra. However, I ended up paying $3,000 more to them, unbelievable. It almost felt like I was robbed. On top of that, when they delivered our household items many of the furniture came damaged and broken. For example, the large TV unit set we had was broken and unrepairable so I ended up calling the junk company and removing it from our house with an extra cost. My bookshelf was broken, our wine rack was missing one of its wheels, the handle of our drawer was broken, and this list goes on and on.

When I called them and explained the situation I was told that they would get back to me. Of course they didn't get back to me so I made another call to ask when they would get back to me with an answer. Their response was "ASAP". It's been more than 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back from them with any explanation! Not only I had to pay big amount of money for them, they also ended up damaging our furniture and other household items. I'm extremely disappointed with this company and regret hiring them for our moving needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Open Road Moving & Storage?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

At first, I was planning on moving my stuff down to Florida myself. I don’t have all that many things and was expecting a moving company cost to be astronomical. I put my information online, and was immediately contacted by Open Road Moving. I was surprised at how affordable the estimate was for, and after a few days of wondering what to do I decided it would be easier to have a company do it for me rather than drive a truck myself.

The movers were great - Very cordial and professional. I was nervous about things being damaged but everything was pretty much exactly as I left it. I was concerned about how long it would be for delivery based on some other reviews but Open Road continued to call me and let me know exactly where the truck was throughout the week. I don’t plan on moving anytime soon, but if I do I would definitely use them again. Highly recommend!

Robby,

Thanks for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience. Welcome to Florida!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Updated on 05/25/2019: This is an update to my previous review of Open Road Moving & Storage here: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/account/reviews/4172105/, which details how they treated me. The FMCSA has since investigated and informed me that the mover they contracted me with was not licensed for interstate moves. They also lied to the investigator and claimed they refunded me when they had not.

Original Review: This company billed me fraudulently for weight that I did not ship. I contracted with Open Road Moving and Storage in August 2018, and they subcontracted through Spirit Van Lines. They refused to furnish me with weight tickets, so I had to weigh my own goods. The weight they billed me for exceeded the actual weight by more than 1,000 pounds.

They also charged item specific fees after their initial quote, even though I disclosed these items when making the initial quote. They also refused to ship my good until I paid the increased balance (more than 110% of the original estimate), without offering me a revised contract, in violation of federal regulations. Further, they lost a box and damaged a couch, washing machine, dryer, weight bench, box spring and grill. My experience with these movers was so poor, I filed a complaint with the USDOT, claim number ** if you want to verify. I have emailed them twice in the past two weeks and they have not responded

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Open Road moving and storage was great. I had to move at the last minute. Thought I was gonna have to pay an arm and a leg. But not with these guys. They made the price binding and walked me through the process every step of the way. I plan to use them on this job and many others. Definitely would recommend to family and friends.

James,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I had such a great experience with Open Road Moving & Storage. The movers were very courteous, informative, and punctual. This company is amazing and so professional and I would definitely recommend them to friends and family. Keep up the good work!!

Samantha,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience!

Management

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm giving a 5-star review not because I am a good customer but because of John the manager that dealt with my situation and did a superb job in handling my unfortunate dilemma. We operate a not for profit that was moving a new staff member 3000 miles. The first moving company was unable to meet the deadline and our friends involved in the move canceled the first company and then connected with Open Road. We entered an agreement that day and that night fell upon some published reviews that I passed on to our staff member.

The next morning he and his wife looked at the reviews and freaked out. That lead to some things being said that did not help the situation and made it worse. Since I was paying for the move and I didn't experience the initial conversation after the reading of the reviews, my staff member canceled before consulting with me. I called the company to find out what happened and John handled my call. At this point, I was stuck because any money not refunded would come out of my personal pocket. I believed the call could be a crucial conversation, but I was amazed at the professional treatment I was given. I would say, that I have never been treated in such a professional manner under difficult circumstances. By the time I hung up I was wishing we had kept our business with Open Road.

Remember that even the best of companies are constantly sued, given bad reviews and taken to court by people who are often mad at life or have some financial interest in just being nasty. Anybody can print anything on the internet, but just know, that I was treated more than fair and in the most professional manner of any company I have ever had to deal with. I will recommend Open Road to my friends in the future. I am certain you will be treated fairly for a reasonable price that is very competitive. Safe travels and happy moving!

Tim,

Thank you for sharing about your experience! We wish you the best of luck with the relocation, and look forward to hopefully speaking again in the future!

Open Road Moving & Storage expert review by Jessica Render

Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. They are a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using their network of moving companies.

• Residential moving services: Open Road Moving and Storage offers packing services in addition to long distance moving. They can help you with a full-service move, or they can haul your belongings from your old home to your new one.

• Commercial moving services: Use Open Road Moving and Storage for all of your commercial move needs, including packing, unpacking, storage and deliveries. They can handle interstate, state-to-state and international commercial moves.

• Auto transport: Open Road Moving and Storage can arrange for the safe transportation of your automobile to your new location. Availability might be limited, so call as soon in advance as possible to schedule.

• Best for: individuals and corporations making interstate moves.

Profile picture of Jessica Render
    Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Open Road Moving & Storage Company Information