It's that easy Request Information
4.13/5
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Open Road Moving & Storage is a licensed, insured and bonded Carrier as well as a licensed moving broker with a large network. Because of our carrier database, we are able to negotiate the best rates for your long-distance move so you can relax during a typically stressful time. We also handle the entire pre-screening process checking things like safety records, reputation, valid DOT numbers, insurance and contracts. Rely on Open Road Moving & Storage as your moving liaison to make your next move a breeze.

23 Open Road Moving & Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

A great help in all aspects of the move. They were easy to get a hold of, pleasant to work with, and they made the entire process much less stressful than I had anticipated. 10/10. Would recommend to a friend!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Great job from start to finish. Everything was done right with no problem. The whole crew was professional and respectful in every way possible. Will definitely be using you guys again. It was pleasure doing business with you guys and I will be recommending you to my friends.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

After hours upon hours of research on the internet I was very nervous when selecting a moving company. Thank heavens I was able to find Open Road Moving and Storage. From the first phone call to the final drop off everything was top notch and professional. The sales rep that I spoke with let me know what to expect on my move and my expectations were met. I would definitely select Open Road Moving & Storage on my next move.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

HUGE SCAM! Imagine your worst nightmare then multiply that by 1,000!! They are brokers and hire another company to handle your move and they apparently have ZERO communication with the company they hire! I was promised that I could pay with credit card (was even put in my contract) and was on the phone for an hour giving them an entire inventory of my belongings which isn't much! It's for a small 2 bedroom in NY! They told me it was $2300 based on the estimated weight of the furniture and approximately 20 medium boxes for use was estimated in that total!

A moving company from Jersey showed up and they told me it's not by the weight - it's cubic feet and that from seeing the stuff in the house it's going to be triple the $2300! I said, "Well this stuff isn't even worth that! I'll just throw it out and buy new stuff for 10k!" He told me that I would lose my $1900 deposit and be charged for them coming there for every hour spent. We said screw it we had to be out the house that weekend so we ended up just bringing essentials and left everything from the kitchen, left behind a dresser, all my kids' toys and high chairs, swings, baby items and 20 boxes went down to only 6!!! We lost almost everything and still was charged over 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS! $1300 of that is just a broker fee!!! Has nothing to even do with the movers themselves! What a scam!

Then remember how I said charging it to my credit card was in my contract? Well the movers didn't take credit card and demanded a money order for over 5k!!! I started to cry and said I didn't have that money. I was promised it could be charged to my card and it was in my contract and they said, "That's the broker and not our company and they were misinformed!" I said, "Well I don't have that kind of money and would have never booked it!" The owner of the company said he would charge the card but I had to fax all types of authorization forms and copies of my license and credit cards to him and he would not release my belongings until he received this stuff! We got it to them the very next day!

To make matters worse, they picked up my stuff July 25 (2 weeks ago!) my delivery date was August 1st! I am 6 months pregnant and me and my kids are in our new house sleeping on the floor!! They tried to tell me it was because there was a hold because the credit card ordeal! I said, "You charged my card that same day and got your payment, the documents were sent the next day, how is that a reason why it's taking 2 weeks for my stuff to get here?" All they keep telling me is to wait by the phone for the driver to call 24 hours before delivery! No compassion! They could give two craps! They got their money and my stuff and it's God knows where!!! Biggest scam ever! PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY!!! I have the paperwork and documents if you don't believe me.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018 We choose Open Road Moving & Storage for moving our stuff from Az to IL. First, they said they will reach our place at 12 pm, but they reached by 7 pm in the evening, still, it was fine for us. They took our stuff on 23-June-2018 and after reaching Illinois we mail the moving date as 03-July-2018. But till date

(8-Aug-2018) we didn't get our stuff. We are following up with them every day every week, most of the time they don't answer it, if they answer, they give some or other excuses. Like we deliver stuff within 30 days, when 30 days are over then we don't count holidays in those 30 days. And when all 30 days are over excluding holidays, they are lying and said, "Your moving date as per carrier is 03-Aug-2018." They are just a bunch of liars. Please don't hire them. We are really frustrated and fed up. Don't know when we will get our stuff. :(

Mithilesh,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon, and attempting to come to a resolution together. I have contacted the moving carrier to expedite your delivery time frame. As discussed, when a client requests 30 days of storage, it does not become a priority delivery until notified. We will also work out financial compensation through Open Road Moving and Storage, as well as advocate for you to receive compensation from Move on Moving (your moving carrier) for the late delivery.

My direct line is (561)-349-8088. Please contact myself directly at this number, so everyone can be on the same page with one another.

Management

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Open Road Moving & Storage?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I recently found myself in a position where I had to move from Georgia to Nevada with little pre-planning. I worked with Matt in the Sales department who was very thorough and courteous. (I had to change my move date several times.) Additionally, I worked with Tracy and she was very friendly and accurate. My move went off excellently and by chance I received by belongings in two days. I was ecstatic because I had been living out of a suitcase in Nevada because of a family emergency. I am so grateful I was treated like family and well taken care of. I can never thank you enough. My belongings were brought in the house put where I wanted them. Everything was as promised. I would give them a 10 if I could.

Terri,

Thank you for entrusting Open Road Moving and Storage! Best of luck in your new home!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

A word to the wise: KEEP MOVING AND SKIP THIS COMPANY. Needed to move our daughter's furniture from St. Louis to Boston and hired OPEN ROAD MOVING to do so. They broker the arrangements with independent movers and we were connected with a band of movers that kept canceling or not showing, then calling at 10 pm and wanting to come then. Finally, we were told that they would show between 2-4 pm last Saturday to collect her furniture and boxes. By 6 pm, they had not shown, nor were they responding to our calls. No one was available at the Open Road number to help us. As we left for dinner demoralized, and already far too late to get her furniture to Boston on time, they called and told us they would be there in an hour and that we had to have 500 dollars cash or money order or they would not move us.

Needless to say, we were shocked at the cash request and when we balked, they said that they wouldn't come and we would be out our deposit. The interaction left us afraid to let these guys anywhere near us. Open Road was of no help, did not answer their phones nor call back. And they kept the deposit. So our daughter has left, with no furniture and her belongings shipped through Greyhound. Look carefully at their fake reviews. Be aware they take no responsibility for the behaviors and demands of the movers they broker for, and feel entitled to your money when things go wrong. There is no contract other than their cancellation policy and no obligation to you. Look elsewhere. You get what you pay for. We got a band of pirates, not movers. Remove review.

Original review: July 23, 2018

When choosing a moving company, I spoke to Open Road Moving and they were very quick to respond. After explaining everything that was in my home, and what type of packing I needed, they gave me a quote at what the total cost would be. Although it was a little higher than some of the other quotes I received, I felt like they were the most detailed and asked a lot of important questions, that made me realize that they cared about how accurate the quote was.

On the day of the move, the truck showed up on time with 4 men in the morning. They already had boxes and bubble wrap. The only thing I had to get was the mattress coves. They immediately started to get to work. Two of the men began packing my house and the other two men began disassembling my furniture. The foreman was also busy taking care of the other smaller details. When they were done packing, all 4 men started packing my items into the truck.

I could tell the men really cared about eliminating the potential for damages with how they handled everything from boxes to furniture. After I got into my new home in Philadelphia, the movers arrived the day afterwards, again on time, to start unloading. They put all of my furniture in the rooms I specified and reassembled everything for me. I did not have to lift a finger. These men are professionals and very hardworking. I was expecting a few nicks and dings, but everything was in excellent shape. From start to finish, the customer service team at Open Road was great and met all of my expectations and more.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 22, 2018

A bunch of liars - In short: DON'T hire these people even if they are the last moving company on earth. They are a bunch of liars and scammers and whatever they promise you on the phone you will pay more. All these positive reviews probably fake because even if everything went ok I will never give them 5 stars for their customer service alone. I even heard that they even changed their name recently with all the bad reviews they got. If you don't believe me, see their page in Yelp.

These guys are basically brokers and they don't actually come to your home to do the moving, which is fine but they don't tell you that. When the moving date comes a completely unknown company that you never heard of comes to your home with a rental truck and tell you, "We will do the moving for you and you have to play with our rules and sign our new agreement." So whatever you agree upon with Open Road is gone with the winds. That means new price and new fees you never heard of. At that point, you have two choices: either you go along as you don't have time and you have to move soon and you don't want the headache of looking around again or you cancel the whole thing and that is what I do recommend but you have to find another way to move.

Once they took your belongings, they got you in their pockets and they can add whatever they want from extra charges and fees. And when you call Open Road company to ask them to help with the situation, they are completely useless. That is you, Stacy and Alba. Once they take your money they become rude on the phone and sometimes they don't even answer. They never called back and never fixed any problem with the actual moving company. My stuff arrived after 3 weeks and you can't imagine how stressful it was to wait with the above-mentioned facts. There were some damages in some of the furniture and I ended up paying an extra $1000.

Finally, I will just give you a few questions to ask Open Road before you pay them and agree on anything with them: Are you going to do the moving for me? Are the agreement and the price that we agreed upon will be valid and apply with the actual moving company? If they say yes, don't sign any new agreement when they come to take your stuff. Do you have any authorities or even communication with the actual moving company? If I can go back in time, I will just rent a truck or trailer and hire someone to help me load and unload my stuff and drive. Because the whole moving business is just a shady one. Goodluck!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Two week my daughter moved from WI to MO. She called around and found that you were the least expensive option at the time. She was quoted around $3,200. She went out and bought everything to make the move easier for you and cheaper for her. To make it easy for the movers we brought down all the boxes and small stuff and placed it in the garage. They said they would be there between 2-5, they showed up around 6:00 with the truck half full with other stuff. Since we were anxious to get on the road, we help them with the stuff from the garage. They only had to bring down two beds and three dressers, air conditioner and two tables. They said they would call us with a price while they were on the road.

They never called and we were reaching a bank where we needed to get a cashier’s check. My daughter called your company who sent her a price of double the estimate. What can we do; you had her stuff in transit? When we got to our destination we had to change plans and put 90% of her stuff in storage. We got a storage area and waited all day and the mover showed up around 630. My husband and a friend help them unload the truck to the storage unit and they brought a few things up to the apartment. I tried contacting Joe whose name I was given and he has never responded back to our issue.

Marguerite,

I am glad we could turn your negative experience into a positive one. It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck.

Management

Original review: July 14, 2018

Getting in touch with Open Road Moving and Storage was very simple. My rep asked me a number of questions regarding my move, and explained how everything was expected to proceed from the pickup to the delivery and everything in between. They sent me over an estimate based, and after comparing against a few different companies, we decided to go with their company based on how thorough they explained everything to us and their reviews online. The team showed up on time to our home in San Diego, and everything basically went as planned on the pickup. We weren't 100% packed, but the movers had extra materials on the truck and helped us pack our mattresses and T.V. Before they left, the foreman gave us an anticipated delivery time between 1-2 weeks.

We got a call 8 days later, letting us know the driver would be arriving the following morning. When the truck came to our home, we were relieved to find everything coming off the truck in good shape. Bruce, the foreman, checked everything off his list to make sure nothing was left behind. The price was the same as the estimate, which was nice because it was actually a little bit higher than the other quotes to begin with. No other company told me about the shuttle charge other than Open Road (being that I moved to downtown Chicago), so I was not surprised when I paid that at delivery. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience using these guys. It was our first move, and hopefully our last, but should we ever need a mover again we will definitely call Open Road.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have now used Open Road Moving twice (once for myself and once for an employee of mine). Both experiences were pleasant and easy. We spoke to Brian, who handled our moves for us. I was confused how to pack my platform bed, but Judy in customer service sent me instructions and helped answer a lot of questions I had leading up to the move. The movers themselves are really great - and my items arrived a week and a half later in the same shape. I paid $100 extra than my original price, because I couldn't pack the three TV in my house.

Original review: June 22, 2018

This is a broker who subcontracts your move out to various trucking companies. I went over the goods to be moved which was one master bedroom worth of furniture in a lot of boxes plus them packing glassware and dishes. They promised me that by overestimating the number of boxes etc I was guaranteed not to pay more than the estimate and told that I would be charged $0.42 a pound for a move from Massachusetts to Florida. I have already moved the contents of one home from New Hampshire to Florida and did not have this experience. The movers were late and were surly so I attempted to explain to them my expectations and they left. They rescheduled for 3 days later and again showed up late, an hour past the 5-hour window they had given us for pickup.

They insisted that my husband rescind the contract with Open Road Moving and Storage and would not pack or load our stuff until he paid them in cash and signed a new contract for over $1,000 more than the estimate. They had him over a barrel and they knew it. Naturally Open Road Moving and Storage refused to do anything to help us and refused to return calls. We were told delivery would be in 5 days but the trucking company said they have 7 to 21 days to deliver. They did not tell us when they would deliver until yesterday and they gave us a 7 to 9 p.m. estimated delivery time tonight.

We shudder to think of the condition our belongings will be in when they are delivered. I believe many of the reviews are fake and the one star reviews are so similar to the experience that we have had that I am going to contact the Attorney General of Florida consumer affairs division to address this company's transactions. Do yourself a favor and hire a local moving company who will send someone to your home and give you a firm quote. Otherwise you are at the mercy of a fly-by-night trucking company who will either refuse to pack and load your items or refuse to deliver them unless you pay exorbitant fees.

Nina,

We are disheartened and disappointed to hear about your negative experience utilizing our services. Yes, Open Road Moving and Storage is a top moving coordinator/broker within the interstate transport industry. We work with top-tier moving carriers across the country, all hand-selected through a 7-step vetting process.
Open Road Moving and Storage provides client's with an estimate for their move based off an article list provided by the client upon the time the reservation is placed. Should there be additional items, larger items, or additional packing service requested at the time of pickup, the carrier is required to offer a revised agreement based off their visual estimate. It is NEVER our intention to underestimate a client's load size. We sincerely apologize if your price increase was a result of our sales representative's negligence.

We are contacting the moving carrier to see what we can do to lower the cost point and alleviate any of the extra charges at pickup. We will be reaching out to you shortly with a resolution. Again, we deeply apologize for any additional stress that has been compounded during your moving experience.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Open Road Moving helped me move from Florida to Phoenix AZ. Tom, the sales rep explained the costs clearly and made the process very simple. The movers boxed up my apartment for me and delivered all of my belongings with on time and undamaged. Very professional. I would recommend 10/10.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage, and sharing about your experience!

Original review: May 31, 2018

A neighbor of mine initially referred me to Open Road Moving. And then, I spoke to Bryan over there at Open Road. He's the one that initially set me up and they made me feel comfortable with their whole process. My neighbor who had already completed their move told me how the process went from beginning to start. Between here and my neighbor's experience and then speaking to Bryan, Open Road Moving won over my confidence. Bryan kept it super simple but made me aware of all the ins and outs, such as how I should prepare my packing. He told me what to expect in my front yard and what time to expect the movers. It wasn’t too over complicated. He was knowledgeable and I was informed of everything I needed to know.

And then, I dealt with Judy in the customer service department and she gave me a call every day, first thing in the morning to keep me up to date on where the truck is at and when to expect them. I referred Open Road Moving to my family members already and I continue to do so. This is the first long distance move I had made and they did what they needed to do.

Mark,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage and sharing about your experience! We wish you the best of luck in your new home, and appreciate your business!

Original review: May 30, 2018

The movers were courteous, friendly, and delivered my items in a timely fashion. The price was a little bit higher but it was worth the money to not have any headaches, I was very stressed out about the big move and you guys made it easier for me. I will definitely hire this company again for any future moves.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate your business!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was doing a job relocation and my corporation wasn't paying for it. They were doing a reimbursement process so I had to find my own mover. Open Road's got good reviews and the salesman I spoke with, Josh, got my questions answered before I would spend for reservation. So it made me feel really comfortable. As far as being competitive with other companies, they didn't even bash the other companies. They just gave me their version of how the move would go and that was why I went with them. Everybody else was telling not to go with them and that they're a scammer. But I guess they're very competitive 'cause those people are crazy.

I had a move down to Florida about two months prior so I just gave Open Road my last bill and the information over there. I got a couple of add-ons and gave them an inventory then they gave me a flat rate for the move. Then the movers showed up. But with me working all day and night, I didn't have time to pack the TV so Open Road charged me $45 for the TV. But that was my fault.

Open Road's movers didn't break anything like the last company did. But the last company just chipped a chair and otherwise, they were pretty good too. But they were a bit too expensive and I had to get my own company. On the other hand, Open Road did a great job for me and if I gotta find a mover again and my company is paying for it, I would go ahead and call them. They're really good people and customer service always answered. It made me feel really comfortable about my decision. That's what you need when you're moving your stuff across country. You gotta be able to trust these people 'cause I didn't know them and they didn't know me.

Sherman,

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage. We are glad we could help make your relocation as smooth as possible, and hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Had an overall great experience with Open Road movers customer service were helpful, the moving was efficient, my items got to my new move without any damage. I would highly recommend Open Road movers to a friend. Their price for the move was within my budget. Choose Open Road for your next move.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for sharing about your experience. We wish you and your family the best of luck in your new start!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I recently moved this past week after our kids got out of school and Open Road Moving and Storage made the move seamless. The workers were extremely professional and listened to all of our requests, couldn't have asked for a better company to work with.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us positive feedback! We appreciate your business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Having moved before, I've learned to do my homework and ask the right questions. Initially, when deciding who would move my home to New Jersey, Open Road was able to explain the entire process for me. Judy, in customer service was very helpful along the way. Open Road was able to deliver my belongings on time and in same condition. I have my daughter moving in a few months, and will definitely insist she use them.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for sharing about your experience and for choosing our company! We look forward to meeting your daughter and helping her as well.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had a great experience with this moving company. The movers showed up on time and were very professional. All of our furniture arrived at our new home in great condition, no scratches or marks on anything. By far the best movers out there and we highly recommend their service.

Open Road Moving & Storage response

Thank you for choosing Open Road Moving and Storage! Wishing you and your family the best of luck in your new home!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I had to move because of a job relocation. We went from New York to Florida. I went online then I put my information in and got a million phone calls. It was very harassing and was not the best process, but I was lucky enough to find Open Road. I felt the trust with them and this was the first time I moved. The representatives on the phone were very professional. And all the questions that I had were answered. Every time I called, they picked up. That was my biggest thing because it was late in a day and I was calling a lot and they answered. So, I was very appreciative of that.

The reps told me not to make any travel dates. They told me exactly what to pack and what to expect. Everything they told me happened, so I was pretty prepared. All my items successfully made it to my house and they were not broken which was all I really care for. But the delivery was a little late. I could have found a cheaper price of a moving service, but to have the insurance that my stuff's gonna make it there undamaged gave me that peace of mind, so I was okay with it.

Sean,

We want to thank you for sharing about your experience, and entrusting our company to help with your relocation!

Open Road Moving & Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. They are a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using their network of moving companies.

• Residential moving services: Open Road Moving and Storage offers packing services in addition to long distance moving. They can help you with a full-service move, or they can haul your belongings from your old home to your new one.

• Commercial moving services: Use Open Road Moving and Storage for all of your commercial move needs, including packing, unpacking, storage and deliveries. They can handle interstate, state-to-state and international commercial moves.

• Auto transport: Open Road Moving and Storage can arrange for the safe transportation of your automobile to your new location. Availability might be limited, so call as soon in advance as possible to schedule.

• Best for: individuals and corporations making interstate moves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

West Palm Beach
FL
www.openroadmoving.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business