Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Old Republic Home Protection

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs for the sellers and buyers of resale homes. The company offers multiple plans to fit every budget with optional add-ons available. Coverage is available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient and flexible but only available in 27 states and Washington, D.C

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in rep...

Verified

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent se...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers multiple plans and has a 24/7 service department that lets you make a claim when it's convenient for you.

Old Republic Home Protection offers service in 27 states and Washington, D.C., and its website has a map of the states it serves. Click on your state to view a brochure detailing Old Republic Home Protection’s coverage in your state in English and Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Essential Coverage: This affordable plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (excluding washer, dryer and kitchen refrigerator).
    • Standard Coverage: This plan from Old Republic Home Protection covers several major home systems (including heating, plumbing, and electrical) and most kitchen appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves), as well as garage door openers and central vacuums. Air conditioning systems, washer, dryer, and kitchen refrigerator are included in Standard Coverage in some states.
    • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate Protection includes everything in the Standard Plan plus increased coverage for correcting code violations, haul away, permits, and more. It also includes enhanced system and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
    • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic Home Protection’s contract term is usually 12 months, with 13-month and two-year plans available in some states. As of March 2021, Old Republic Home Protection provides home warranties during a real estate transaction — if interested, talk to your real estate agent.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
    • Septic system
    • Well pump
    • Booster pump
    • Water softeners
    • Swimming pool and spa equipment
    • Solar hot water system
    • Solar pool/spa components
    • Free-standing ice maker
    • Standalone freezer

Old Republic cost

Old Republic Home Protection’s annual premiums start at $300 to $1,600 for condos and single-family homes up to 9,999 square feet and $400 to $1,900 for multiunit properties. Service fees range from $65 to $100 with an average of $75. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic Home Protection plans in Texas below.

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
    Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$465$695
    Single-family$405$510$615
    Duplex$600$750N/A
    Triplex$900$1,100N/A
    Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
    New construction$665$775N/A

Prices are current as of March 2021 and are subject to change. For more details, visit the Old Republic Home Protection website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan coverage and costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
    Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 27 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
    No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
    Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic Home Protection home warranty. If you do, in most states you get a prorated refund, but you must also pay any service costs incurred and a processing fee.
    Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
    Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic Home Protection might be worth it if you’re buying or selling a home or looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your current home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I have had an issue with my air conditioner and plumbing. According to the terms of my Home Warranty Policy, these issues were immediately submitted and acted upon by Old Republic Warranty.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Haven't have a reason to use the warranty as of yet, but find having it as a good peace of mind when buying an older home. Was recommended by our realtor which was paid for by the previous homeowner as part of the selling point.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2021

It took me 15 minutes to get through the ridiculous automated phone menu, just to be put on hold for over an hour. I'm still not sure any human beings work for this company. Why am I going through all this trouble? They wanted to repair my heating unit, that was already older than the expected life. We decide to replace the system. ORHP said they would PAY what they thought was a reasonable amount to make the repairs. GREAT! Except they haven't actually paid. In fact, they still want an itemized invoice...we don't have an invoice. It's being financed for 5 years. And they aren't paying what we actually bought, they are paying what they agreed to pay...someday. It's been over 3 months. Still on hold as I type...

Original review: May 28, 2021

First repair took 7 weeks, so no heat for all that time. They kept lying to me about status and slow rolling me. Now after needing a second repair, we're 2 weeks in and it's the same story. "Oh it should just be a few days. We're 'expediting' it." But I'm still without AC and the repair company says they don't know why and has no info from ORHP. ORHP apparently sat on this and did nothing for at least a week. Also, if you don't have a name or extension, expect to spend 20-30 minutes on hold waiting. If you leave a message because you can't get your representative, they just ignore it, so you have to call back anyhow.

Resolution response: May 25, 2021

Our geographically dedicated Account Executive has been very easy and helpful to communicate with via email. I am now expecting a refund on the extra $150 fee I should have never had to pay. Will update to 4 or 5 stars when I don't have to go through this ordeal to pay the correct amount of money for covered services. ORHP needs much better policing/training of their contractors and better transparency upfront toward their customers. Also, be able to answer the phone within 3 minutes or less, not 45.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I am sitting here right now as I write this with a representative from the garage door repair company at my home, sent by ORHP, who is here to fix a broken torsion spring above our garage door. I spent 45 minutes on hold last week to speak with a representative of ORHP who, when I finally was able to speak with someone, assured me that we were covered for torsion springs and it would not cost any more than the $100 deductible.

However, this gentleman is telling me they charge a $150 balancing fee on top of the $150 deductible – a total of $250. I had a company outside of the ORHP channel quote me $175 total. I however went with ORHP’s vendor, thinking I should save money by using the home warranty we are covered under... Yet here I am, out an extra $75 because I am using our home warranty company??? This makes no sense to me and the costs were NOT clearly communicated upfront. I asked numerous times and received no better answer than “$100.” IF you can even get through to a real person who works for ORHP, it will take 45 minutes and they will give you completely inaccurate information. SAVE YOUR TIME. SAVE YOUR MONEY. SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Purchased a home and the sellers and our agent provided an Old Republic Home Warranty to make us feel comfortable with the purchase. 9 Days after the purchase the A/C quit working. Called, they sent a repairman the next day and lo and behold after 9 days of working fine they said it was pre existing and would not cover the repair. I would rather have the 1200.00 that was paid for this useless warranty to help with the replacement of the HVAC system. Their product is not worth the paper it is written on. They are a rip off from what I am reading. Looks like we will have to settle this through legal means. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEIR HOME WARRANTY.

Original review: April 2, 2021

We contacted Old Republic home warranty regarding a minor leak in our filter. They scheduled a service call (with co-pay). That service repairman replaced a part, but in the process broke something else. He said he will talk to warranty company to approve the entire thing, but then came back and said the warranty company is not improving anything including the original order. They then harassed my wife with phone calls to pay for the original replacement, and I am out another $1000 for the part they broke that they also couldn't get approved to warranty company.

Even worse, when we contacted Old Republic Home Warranty, they just say that we cannot do anything as the filter is not covered (which might also be untrue). Regardless, the call was scheduled by them and the person they sent was on their behalf. I would have appreciated a bit more understand and partnership, but the customer rep just hung up on us saying they cannot do anything.

Original review: March 26, 2021

My refrigerator water dispenser and ice cube maker went out...Long story short I need a new refrigerator and you have to go thru so many challenges....It may be another 7 to 10 business days before the purchasing Dept reaches out!!!! They do not put their customers 1st....It’s basically how less they spend and more money you have to as a customer!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

If there was an option to give zero stars I would. We have been trying for over 4 months to get our refrigerator repaired. We had countless phone calls that I would wait on hold for over an hour only to be hung up on. It took over 2 months the first time to get broken parts sent to us. And then another month to get even more broken parts. They promised new parts would be sent, only to have refurbished parts sent. After everything is said and done and lots of time wasted, they offered us $417.84 to replace our refrigerator. It has been an absolute nightmare. A home warranty should give you peace of mind. They are incompetent at best. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: March 24, 2021

It has now been almost two months waiting to get my dishwasher fixed. Numerous phone calls and a visit from a technician and I still can't get the repair authorized. The dishwasher is 10 years old and has a broken control board the warranty company want the technician to write a report saying why the item is broken he said it is old and is broken due to wear and tear. The warranty is demanding a second opinion so here I am waiting for one of their technicians to see my old dishwasher. Today their technician cancelled an appointment for 1 pm at 12:45 pm! I have experience with other providers and know that warranties are complex but this has been ridiculous and frustrating. The next time a realtor offers me this as part of a transaction I am going to request a different company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

This company is not about warranty, it is about how to screw people. They play games when time comes to pay. I was told I am getting reimbursed 100 percent of my 3000 repair while my entire family was down with Covid. Their vendor doesn’t show and no hot water in the house. I use. My own with three quotes and use cheapest one. Then they play good cop bad cop game and turn around to try to give me half. I have refused because I am going legal route. A I GOING TO TRY FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Please join with yours.

Resolution response: March 4, 2021

Sarah A was extremely professional and helpful. She resolved our issue completely as of 3/3/2021.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The contractor who has been trying to get authorization from Old Republic for 2 weeks called this company a "hoax". Their scheme involves asking the contractor unobtainable information only to deny the claim or "run the clock out". Attempting to contact the company takes hours and the customer service representatives take up to 3 days to return a call. Our heat has been out for weeks in the middle of winter. I've been on multiple platforms sharing my experience and my hope is that I can save at least one person from this sort of despair aggravation.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information