2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Old Republic Home Protection, formerly known as Dependable Home Warranty, offers one-year service contracts that cover home system and appliance repairs. The company has three plans with optional add-ons: Standard, Ultimate and Platinum. Coverage is only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C., though.

BOTTOM LINE

Old Republic Home Protection has easy-to-understand plans with transparent pricing. Its customizable coverage is convenient but only available in 24 states and Washington, D.C.

PROS

• Customizable coverage
    • Educational resources
    • Clear pricing

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Old Republic Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

As a Realtor, I recommend this company to all my sellers and buyers. I maintain this warranty platinum edition on my personal home - renewing annually... I have saved $2700 in repairs... A trade fee call of $65 is all I pay toward each repair service. I wouldn't be without it.

There are many home warranty companies in the marketplace and I highly recommend Old Republic for your home warranty company. They are easy to reach, quick in finding excellent service folk, reasonably priced and always accessible.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Old Republic Home Protection?

Old Republic Home Protection is a home warranty company that offers three different plans has a 24/7 claims department that lets you make a claim anytime.

Old Republic doesn’t operate nationwide, but its website has a map of the states it services. Click on your state to read a brochure detailing Old Republic’s coverage in your state in English or Spanish.

Old Republic Home Protection plans

Old Republic has three plans and numerous add-ons:

• Standard Coverage: This basic plan from Old Republic partially covers several major home systems (including heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical) and some appliances (including dishwashers, trash compactors, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, built-in microwaves, garage door openers and central vacuums).
      • Ultimate Protection: Ultimate coverage includes everything in the Standard plan with the same or more thorough protection. It also includes additional systems and appliances.
      • Platinum Protection: Old Republic’s most comprehensive offering, the Platinum Protection plan, offers everything in the Standard and Ultimate plans and more, including higher limits and extended plumbing coverage.
      • Optional add-ons: You can customize your coverage with add-ons to take care of additional equipment, including your HVAC system, pool or roof.

Old Republic's most common contract length is 12 months. Plans have a 30-day waiting period between signing the contract and the start of coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection coverage

Old Republic’s warranties cover the following home systems, appliances and specialty items.

Systems
      • Septic systems
      • Well pumps
      • Pools and spas

Old Republic cost

Old Republic annual premiums range from $250 to $1,500, and repair service fees range from $55 to $100 with an average of $75. These costs depend on the size, condition and location of your home. We’ve broken down expected annual costs based on home type for Old Republic plans in Texas below:

Home typeStandard CoverageUltimate CoveragePlatinum Coverage
      Condo/townhome/mobile home$355$460$665
      Single-family$405$510$615
      Duplex$600$750N/A
      Triplex$900$1,100N/A
      Fourplex$1,150$1,400N/A
      New construction$665$775N/A

For more details on costs, visit the Old Republic website to see a map of where it operates. Click on your state to read a brochure that fully details plan costs.

Old Republic FAQ

Where is Old Republic available?
      Old Republic is available in Washington, D.C., and the following 24 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
      Does Old Republic require a home inspection?
      No, you can get a home warranty from Old Republic without a home inspection.
      Can I cancel my Old Republic home warranty?
      Yes, you can cancel your Old Republic home warranty. If you do, you get a prorated refund, but you also have to pay service costs and a $50 processing fee.
      Does Old Republic have a service work guarantee?
      Yes. Old Republic guarantees service work for 30 days.

Is Old Republic worth it?

Old Republic might be worth it if you’re looking for a home warranty to cover the systems and appliances in your home. We like that the company has customizable coverage and educational resources on its website. Just make sure you live in one of the states where Old Republic offers coverage.

Old Republic Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Republic Home Protection?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I’ve been using Old Republic for several years now. Apart from one provider who did not work out so well, although he did eventually get the job done, I have been impressed and very happy with Old Republic. This is especially true with the last problem I had which required some extensive work and Old Republic came through for me. I recommend them very highly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called them regarding our water heater not heating water, they sent out a plumber that afternoon & he said the water heater wasn’t working properly, yes I know this. So he said it’s the heating elements, ok so now what? He said he would change them out real quick, so after dragging our water hose into our home & draining the water heater, he changed them out, still no hot water, now a small amount of Luke warm for about 2 min. Ok he will be back tomorrow - why? So I phoned Old Republic again & told them what he said, so they called him & asked him what was the issue & he said he had no clue!

So old republic called me back within minutes & said they’re sending someone else, next day new plumber showed up & he said it was the heating elements & it couldn’t be repaired. So he informs me that our water heater wasn’t up to code, after he asked me how long had we owned our home & I informed him that his question had nothing to do with the water heater & I wasn’t sharing any info besides the water heater issue. So he tells me again the water heater wasn’t up to code & that he’d need to run all new lines & pipe, how much are we talking? He tells me it’s $1300 & old republic won’t cover but $600-$800 of it & I can pay him cash for the difference! So I tell him I’d need to discuss this w/ my husband & he leaves, he calls me 2.5 hrs later to see if we made a decision!!!

I call old republic the next morning (had to wait for them to receive the outcome from him), they tell me that they will cover labor & a new water heater but nothing else, okay we aren’t going to use the plumbers they’ve sent out & they said they could mail me a check to cover the labor & new water heater, okay let’s do that! I received the check within 6 days & we called a local plumber & he did the work of replacing our water heater & he told us that every was in code, which we already knew since we’d had a home inspection completed 12 months earlier! Old republic was great! No complaints this time. My dryer went out & I called old republic & was told it wasn’t covered, Okay well at least dryers aren’t over the top expensive.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been working with 9 different home warranties as a contractor and also as a home owner before and I can state based on my experiences that Old Republic do all the effort to serve as better as possible the homeowners to address the different issues. I understand there are some frustrated homeowners who open a new home warranty and want next day to address the problem and also to replace appliances and AC units or even full bundle system of HVAC but as I can see ORHP do the best effort to do the repair or replacement in the best way.

I have been in the business with home warranties as a holder of 6 licenses in California state and I am happy to work with them and I can tell in the probably 500 customers we attend per year I know we resolve completely the problems in the best manner with 490. The other 10 were not covered because type of repair is not cover for the insurance... For example a customer calls because no power in the microwave but we found is an overload cause one simple 15 amps breaker is working the whole kitchen and it trips often. That's an overload and is a problem for no proper wiring and needs to add additional circuits.

Anyway I can talk what is the worst home warranty or evaluate each one also but my intention is talk in favour of a company who treats in the best way to the customers, do the best effort and try the best to all of them. I can state that as a contractor and I am still working with other home warranties but I can say with no doubt Old Republic is the best.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Purchase home this year 6/15. AC went out 2 weeks in. Had home warranty through Old Republic, gave them a call, they need policy number, took 2 months to get policy. Oh they didnt authorize the fixes.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

Terrible service at Old Republic Home Protection in San Ramon. I’ve used Old Republic Home Warranty ORHP for the last 10 years on several of my rental properties. I got a call from my tenant stating ORHP canceled the policy and decided not to renew. ORHP did not send notice to me via email, US mail or a phone call. I’ve been on an automatic monthly payment plan for 10 years with them. They decided not to renew without any notice whatsoever and when I ask them why they would do that to a customer that’s been with them for over 10 years she said that’s their policy, they’re not required to notify you that you’re losing coverage. It’s up to you to figure it out on your own. I’ve had other issues with ORHP bad service companies but I cannot believe their corporate office in San Ramon operates this way and continues to stay in business.

I decided to go on Yelp and give them a bad review to warn other home owners but Yelp is already full of negative reviews on this company. When I first started using them they were a really good company but now I consider them to be completely worthless crooks with terrible customer service. They said they are not an insurance company, they’re a warranty company so they are not required to follow the same regulations as an insurance company on notifying customers that they may not have coverage. I guess just common courtesy to a ten year customer is also not required. They cheat on their yelp reviews by responding with a concerned ladder. It takes over an hour to get a hold of the person that sent the letter and they are absolutely no help with no follow through and no desire to help the customer. They’re only trying to skew the results on Yelp in their favor without doing anything for the customer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Old Republic sent a plumber to fix water coming through my ceiling. The plumber they sent was TOTALLY incompetent. He poked 2 holes with my broom and left. The damage went from a few inches to over 8 feet by the time Old Republic got him back to fix the problem. I now have $4300 in verified damage (had contractor come and fix and restore), and Old Republic is only paying $150 for the 2 holes (regardless of size it is $100 for 1st and $50 for 2nd) and put in a damage claim to the plumber's insurance. That they are supposed to vet who they send to me, seems not to concern Old Republic. That they did not send someone out immediately for water leakage, does not concern Old Republic. That they are the reason I have this much damage, does not concern them. DO NOT USE OLD REPUBLIC!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I realized we had a leak due to watermark on the ceiling in the garage. I called Old Republic and they sent out a plumber who claimed it’s the toilet. It is impossible for him to know this because he did not do any work to diagnose the problem. Old Republic disregarded what they said and sent out another plumber. They new plumber came with that same diagnosis because they said it was the toilet before they even came through the front door. Oh surprise! surprise! Old Republic claimed this so called toilet leak is a pre-existing condition and it is not covered so they cannot do anything for us. This is a scam and they are telling these so called professional what to say in their diagnosis before they even investigate the problem!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

This is the second home that we’ve had Old Republic home warranty with. Our first time was with a large house in San Antonio with a swimming pool, dual A/C units and all electric kitchen. All of our submissions were handled ok with the exception of one A/C call and I blamed that on the A/C technician and not Old Republic. Fast forward to a new house in another city and our experience has been dreadful. We’ve made 4 claims (washing machine twice, well system twice). It never fails, the failed item is never covered. The tech working on the last issue (water well controller) even said, "I bet you they won’t cover it." Sure enough, they didn’t. So I had to cover the $1400 repair. I told the Old Republic rep that I would not be renewing my coverage when it expires in November 2020.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Do not I repeat do not get this company for your home warranty!! I’ve been waiting for them to either fix or replace my dishwasher for 3 months. I have had 5 techs out here and nothing has been done. DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I have had Old Republic for two years and they have done nothing but take $100 service fee three times. I called them out in 2019 because my A/C was not cooling. The HVAC Tech told me that it had a leak, but that he was new and did not know how to check for a leak and took my $75. I had a leak in my plumbing and called to report where the leak was and was told by Old Republic that it would be covered. Their plumber came out only to tell me that it was not covered and took my $75.

In 2020 they have gone up to $100 service call. I called them to report the A/C was not cooling AGAIN and the representative said she would send the request to dispatch. After not hearing from anyone I call them back to tell them that no one had called me. The rep told me it would be two days before someone could come out. I told her that this was unacceptable and she told me that I could get HVAC Company to come that was out of the network and they would reimburse me. I called a company out of the network and they came within an hour. The tech charged the system and told me that I needed a new unit because it was 25 years old and that it used R-22 which could not longer be purchased and that there was a leak in the evaporator coil.

I called Old Republic again to tell them what the tech had said and she said they would need to send someone in their network out to verify this. I told her again that the system was cooling. They sent one of their techs out the next day. He took pictures of the system and told me he would report to Old Republic that the system needed to be replaced. I get a call from Old Republic two days later stating that they could not do anything to help me since the unit was cooling when their tech came out. This company is nothing but a scam. Do not waste your money with them. I called and cancelled with them. There was a recording telling me to give them a chance to make things right by emailing a detailed explanation of what happened. I did as they asked and told them that I would welcome a call from them. That was three weeks ago and I have not heard a word.

Old Republic Home Protection Company Information