1.06/5
  • 1 star
Based on 47 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

48 NSI Protection Plus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I made a mistake of getting an extended warranty with these losers when I bought a refrigerator from Pacific Sales in Woodland Hills, CA. After putting 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone on the phone, I decided to do what their outgoing-voice on their system recommends, register online. That's just another joke. They deliberately make it so hard, that you eventually give up and never register your claim. From what I've read, even if you are lucky enough to file your claim with these losers, they will probably never show up to fix your problem anyway. Stay away from these people.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Called 11/07/2017 to report broken and crumbling microwave door handle and was informed that warranty did not cover this item. My contract states that a product rendered inoperable due to a mechanical or electrical failure is covered. I guess my assumption that a door handle involves a mechanical component is in error. Another example of the GREAT AMERICAN RIP-OFF.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher from Warner Stellian on January 2, 2015. We have never purchased an extended warranty for anything before but thought it might be a good idea since things aren’t “made the way they use to”. We have had nothing but problems since then, the first a month after purchase. We have had 10 service calls on the dishwasher.

First I was told that you had to have 3 calls in one year before they will replace it. Then told 3 calls for the same thing in a year. Then I heard that each case is reviewed by a panel and they choose whether they will replace it. The amount of money this company has spent on parts and service calls is I’m sure 3 to 4 times what the machine cost to purchase in the first place. Now I like KitchenAid. I’ve always had good luck with them. This one is just a lemon. As far as I’m concerned Warner Stellian could care less what happens because they are going to get paid for the service calls anyway. My warning to everyone is find out who the extended service plan is through... if it’s NSI run!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

It has been a month since the claim was placed for a repair call for my GE Dryer and I am still getting the run around as to why they are not coming out to repair the equipment. I am under the impression that they are a scam company who have taken my $150 for 5 yr coverage and have no intention of doing the repair. My next action is to report to the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

BUYER BEWARE They are a rip off. I purchased this plan 3 years ago for a washing machine. Per my warranty I still have 2 years left. Fast forward to now. The start button and dial to change cycles broke. I called NSI. They sent a repair tech to look at the problem. He took off the console of the washing machine and showed me where the console had cracked and broke off. I was told it would be approx $300.00 out of pocket to repair. This is the 2nd time we have had the start button repaired. Now they do not want to cover this repair. What is the purpose of buying an extended warranty if they will not cover the parts and labor. I expect this to be covered or refund for $99.00 for warranty I purchased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NSI Protection Plus?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Was on the phone for 1 hr and 20 minutes to call in that our TV picture went out. No resolution. They want to call us back in 3-5 business days to let us know what they can do. Called the store where we purchased the TV and found they dropped this company like a hot potato after a few years of doing business with them. The retail store even called them on our behalf to "rattle their cage" as they put it and didn't get any further than we did! I wouldn't even rate them a 1 if I didn't have to fill a star in. -10 is more like it. Stay away!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I purchased an LG front load washer and a 5 year extended warranty with NSI. Well fast-forward a year and my washer goes out. Called on a Saturday and was told someone would be at my home Monday between 8 & 5 to repair my washer. Guy comes out from A & E factory service (which is a horrible company) and tells me that they will have to order parts. Come to find out 1 part is no longer available. I have spent the last 3 weeks with no washer and on the phone daily with NSI about my washer, it is always the same story, they need the technician's notes to replace the washer if it cannot be fixed.

Well after spending almost 100.00 over the course of 2 weeks at the laundry mat I broke down and rented a washer until mine could be fixed. I contacted NSI today and they stated they spoke to the technician and they are waiting for his notes, mind you they have been waiting on his notes for almost 3 weeks. NSI told me that it would be 48 hours before they would receive the notes, once they receive the notes then it will be 5 business days before they make a decision on either replacing my washer or giving me a pro-rated refund on my broken washer.

I call every day, and every day it is the same answer, we are waiting for the technician notes. I have asked if I will be reimbursed for going to the laundry mat and now having to rent a washer until mine can be fixed or replaced. The only reimbursement they offer is a $25.00 check that they will send me in 30 to 60 days. What a rip off company. It amazes me that these sharks can get away with this. Never purchase an extended warranty thru NSI!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Contacted NSI about problem with Electrolux refrigerator on 7-17-2017. Was told Golden In Service would contact me in 3 days. Over a month and not a word. If they did call and there was no answer, why didn't they leave a message? Now, after an online ordeal and telephone ordeal, I finally call Golden. No answer and I cannot leave a message because the inbox is full!! I cannot recommend Electrolux (expensive) if you cannot get it repaired. And I certainly cannot recommend NSI. Will not purchase an appliance that has dealings with them.

Original review: April 25, 2017

Apparently I feel so strongly about the lack of customer service that had to create an account. NSI has no sense of urgency when it comes to warranty issues, which is what they do... warranty! My fridge went bad at the beginning of April 2017. I opened up a claim, and not once did this company call or email me the progress on my claim. I don't have a working fridge for goodness sakes and a house full of kids! After much back and forth I was told there that they had no contract with a provider in my area. Which is really surprising since when I purchased the fridge, I told the sales people I live in such place. Will the warranty people go out there and service my fridge if needed. Of course they said yes, and well I had to find out the hard way that they don't service my area!

NSI decided to give me credit (on a Friday) to get another fridge, and they didn't even call me to let me know. I called on Monday and I was told that they had granted me a credit to get another fridge, well hell if they had reached on Friday I could have gotten a fridge by Saturday, right! Well here I am at the end of April and still no fridge! I personally will not buy an extended warranty if it's with NSI!!

Original review: March 31, 2017

We bought a gas range with convection oven in December of 2014. Since we had the stove installed, neither the convection oven or the steam clean feature have worked. I have had NSI out many times and every time they tell me it is fixed, it isn't. Then I have to wait for them to schedule an appointment to come back out and then they come out to look at the oven but then have to order the needed part - or what they think it is - and make another appointment to come out. This is absolutely ridiculous and I do not recommend dealing with them. Then I tried to get a new stove thru the lemon law, and guess what? NSI screwed up recording my repair visits so now they say I don't qualify. My next step will be a lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

NSI is a rip-off company. I purchased a warranty for my laptop and was told by them if it needed service shipping and handling was included. But when service was needed I am responsible for shipping and handling. I asked where in the contract is that information provided. No one could supply that information and no one would call me back to discuss my concern. I purchased the laptop from Electronic Express and they are selling customers this worthless extended warranty. I now have to pay more money to ship the computer for service when I thought the extended warranty covered this issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I have a Whirlpool Duet front load washer that has an extended warranty on it and it has been a problem since we purchased it almost 5 years ago. It had 3 other service calls on it since and now recently the 4th one. When I called NSI the lady on the phone on 2/9 - stated that it has a history of issues and they would not be sending someone out to repair it, but it would be replaced and that the department was not busy and I should be hearing in about 3 days about the replacement of the washer. I have called to updates on what is going on as I was told that NSI would be contacting Cullen's home center where I purchased the washer to get an estimate on replacing it.

I checked on day 4 and Cullen's haven't heard anything about the replacement of the washer. I called today on day 4 to NSI and today I was told that it could take 3 more days before they decide what they are going to do with my washer... This lady - which needs to learn how to speak english - said that my washer is still under review and they are not sure if it is going to be repair or replaced. At this point I asked to speak to her supervisor - mind you I have been on the phone for 30 minutes and have been on hold for most of that time just waiting for them to make up their mind. After I asked to speak to a supervisor that is when NSI decided that they would have someone come out and actually look at my washer.

So now it will be 7 days since I first called about the issue. I asked "WHY" did they finally decide to send someone out? Of course they didn't KNOW. It took another 10 minutes to get the supervisor on the phone and he had nothing to say, but it was under review and that he said that there had been over $500 paid out on previous claims and he could send someone out or pay me out the other $200 on the claim to make up the difference on what I had paid for the washer. I am thinking WTH? This company has terrible customer service and the supervisor is like talking to a brick wall. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. IT IS A SCAM!!! So as of now I am waiting another 2 days to see what the Service company thinks will fix this piece of crap. UGH... It's not a wonder Whirlpool does not make this washer anymore. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I bought a KitchenAid Refrigerator from Bray and Scarf, along with a 3-year Warranty thru NSI. After 2 years a failed thermostat caused the coils to freeze over and the fridge temp to hit 50 degrees. I contacted NSI Protection PLUS, the warranty company (October 22, 2016) and was told I would hear from the local company (Top Home Services) within 24 hours to set up a repair visit. THREE days later I get a call to set up the visit for FOUR DAYS LATER. The appointment was for some time between 10AM-NOON. No one showed, so I called at 1 PM and had to leave a v-mail asking when they would arrive. Sean (local repair shop owner), finally responded at 3 PM saying the repairman's car had broken down and he would call me back shortly with a new time. He didn't.

I called Top Home Services again at 4:30 PM, and he said HE would be coming out soon. At 6:15 PM he finally arrived!! All he did was remove the interior back panel of the fridge and used a steam blow dryer to melt the 2 inches of ice that had formed on the coils. While it was obvious the thermostat had failed, he had no plan to replace it. As he was packing up his things he told US to "Just listen and make sure the fan is cycling on/off, and if not to call him back and he would order the part!!" He left us with NO paperwork, and no card at all. In hindsight, giving us paperwork would have documented that he actually did NOTHING TO ACTUALLY FIX THE FRIDGE.

I called him the next day, to tell him the fridge was already beginning to freeze up again and reminded him that I needed PAPERWORK from him, documenting his work and so I could make a claim on the food we lost (It had been over 10 days by now). Sean said he would order the part and provide me with paperwork. He told me he was on his way to order other parts and would add the thermostat to his order and he would call back when the order was in (~1-2 days). I wait 3 days and call him again, then he tells me he's not sure if the part had come in but he would call me when it did. I NEVER HEARD BACK FROM HIM... It's been 6 weeks and Nothing has been done! In the meantime we have gone back thru Bray & Scarf who sold us the Fridge AND the NSI Warranty to find out what we're supposed to do now.

Update: Bray & Scarf says they have a technician and the thermostat to fix the fridge but NSI now says "NSI already paid Top Home Services a lot of money to complete our repair so they can't authorize anyone else to fix it!!" So, it turns out that Top Home Services, BILLED NSI for parts and work that was NEVER performed. NSI NEVER MADE ANY ATTEMPT TO CONTACT US TO CONFIRM THE WORK HAD BEEN COMPLETED!! It's now been 2 months and our refrigerator is still not functioning properly.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

We have health issues that require medication be refrigerated!! Whirlpool Refrigerator showing temp of 60 degrees. First repair company came out. They could not repair and they called NSI Protection to send a company that could fix refrigerator and they gave me work order #. I have been on "hold" for over an hour trying to speak with a rep from NSI. Went online to MYPROTECTIONPLAN360.COM.

No matter what I tried I COULD NOT USE MY PASSWORD NOR DID THEY SEND ME VIA EMAIL A "PASSWORD CHANGE" LINK. Further their "captcha" did not let me in!! Bad website. Bad company. Sorry my warranty is with them. Will attempt to get my refrigerator repaired and to get new warranty company. Very Unhappy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

We bought the NSI Protection warranty on our Viking pro range. The latch and self clean was not working. We contacted NSI on May 23. July 11th PSG service diagnosed the problem. Still waiting on Sept 4th for repair. Many calls made no return calls.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

EXTREMELY DISPLEASED with NSI Protection Plus as well as their service provider Appliances Unlimited!! Our refrigerator stopped making ice and over a couple days we realized that the freezer as well as the fridge were not staying cold enough. We called LG for a diagnostic test and ended up having to call our extended warranty company, NSI. On or about 8/12 we made the call to them to schedule service.

8/15 - 1st call tech. Kevin came out and determined that the compressor was ok and although he said that he couldn’t really find anything specifically wrong he said he was going to replace the circuit board and 2 other parts which I think were fans. He told us it would likely take about 5 days to get the parts ordered. I was very specific in telling him that we don’t want the parts shipped to us, but to have them shipped to them as we have a duplicate address in the same zip code and that the parts would probably be misdelivered. They had them shipped to us anyway and of course the parts went to the other address. We had to be the ones to figure out what was going on and it was NOT an easy process to get the followup visit scheduled. When I politely asked to speak to a supervisor I got attitude from the “customer service” rep. I did successfully schedule the appointment for the installation of the parts that were ordered.

8/22 - 2nd call, same tech, Kevin came out and replaced the parts (misdelivered parts that I had to go pick up). It was a fairly short service call and the tech said the fridge was all fine and that it should be charged up and ready in a couple hours. Great, we finally have our fridge working again! I went out and got groceries! At least we thought it was fixed. Hours later no change so I first called Kevin from Appliances Unlimited and again got no return call so I called LG and the person there told me it could take up to 15-24 hours to be back to normal. The next morning there was no change and we ended up losing our second freezer load of food! I called the tech again and got no return call! I made a call to the main number and fortunately was able to get something scheduled quickly and figured we’d tough it out another day.

8/23 – 3rd call, different tech Scott, who left 5 screws from the freezer laying on our kitchen floor! He looked everything over and said there was nothing he could do and that they would have to send a certified tech out to tap into the system and possibly drain the Freon, etc. 8/25 – 4th call with the certified tech who was here for a short time. He found no leaks in the system and said that he was going to order a new compressor (we were previously told compressor was fine) and that likely it would be another week before it would be received and service call scheduled. He was empathetic for us at least. Later that day I had to call back in to NSI as we were already well past the threshold of losing patience and confidence in both them and Appliances Unlimited.

I called NSI and asked for a supervisor and spoke to Nancy who was the first person at NSI who seemed to care and be understanding of our dilemma. She lead me to believe that she would take action and we would definitely be getting a new fridge and it may take a few days so I could at least live with that. I believe she said something to the effect that we would talk again the next day and after not hearing anything I made a call late that day. After the usual ½ hour wait I get a customer service rep who told me that the supervisors were not taking calls at that time and that she’d send an email to her. She also told me that the notes said that this was being sent to upper management to consider and that this in itself could take a few days!! I was NOT feeling confident at all and I told her that it was urgent that I talked to Nancy and to please have her call before the close of business. We never got a call.

We are now going on three weeks with a barely working refrigerator and a freezer that is useless. Constantly buying ice and keeping towels on the floor from where the melted ice water leaks from the freezer. We lost 2 freezer loads of food and most of what was in the fridge. We’ve had to spend money on ice almost every day and have had to go out to have dinner a few times. This is unacceptable and we have not had a feeling that anyone at either of these two organizations (except possibly Nancy, although we are on day 4 not hearing back from her) has really cared about our dilemma. In the time I've spent on hold waiting to talk to a live person at NSI and trying to get them to do what they're supposed to be doing I've spent about a day's worth of time chasing after these people!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

Purchased a Maytag top load washer in 2013 with 5 yrs extended warranty. Call in today because the washer makes a very LOUD Noise during wash and Spin cycle. I called the 888-446-8008 number waited about 15-20 mins for an answer. The lady confirmed the warranty and ask what the problem was. I explain the loud noise during wash and spin cycle and that my local dealer said that it was most probably the bearing going out. The lady said "your warranty does NOT cover noise problems." WHAT!! "The noise is caused by the bearing going out," I explained. She said she would need to hear the noise over the phone. I hung up on her and called my local dealer. He is going to have to intervene after I file a claim online and wait 1-2 days for the review. THIS IS BS!!! They do everything they can to NOT honor the claim. I will be filing a lawsuit this week against these bastards. It is the principle.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

This is a scam. They will not honor my contract for furniture I purchased. I was told that pet damage was covered. Now three years later they refused to honor my contract or reimburse me for the cost of the contract. Buyer Beware. This company has no conscience. All of this after being hung up on 3 times by reps and the company reps giving me a variety of different numbers to call for reimbursement. They just will not honor anything. Thieves.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I purchased a refrigerator from Number1Direct and through them we purchase a NSI Protection Plan. NSI Protection Plan has a very poor customer services, taking more than 35 minutes to answer the call and then we are been transfer from one person to another representative without solving our problem. And we are still trying to fix our refrigerator. Neither Number1Direct or NSI Protection are taking responsibility and we are the customers are stuck in this situation.

Original review: July 14, 2016

Well I purchased an ice maker for our fridge. Shortly after getting fridge home about 2 months later the ice maker kept filling up with water. Service guy came out, told me the motor was shot on ice maker! I said "WHAT? I just bought it!" He told me sometimes these ice makers are aftermarket stuff. So, 6 months later, it starts filling up with water again, flooded my kitchen floor, and so on. My husband went under the kitchen sink and crimped off the water line that goes to the ice maker. Called for service. Guy comes out, tells me to take the pliers off the water line, so did. I got a BILL 2 days later saying it was not covered under my extended warranty, and that there was a piece of ice stuck in ice maker.

First of all it wasn't making ice. Secondly, that has no bearing on customer whether or not it's making ice or not. They put me in the credit bureau for the amount of $84.00 plus a late fee of 25.00. Now, I owe them $114.00. Now once again, the ice machine is still not fixed. No one can "SUPPOSEDLY" fix it. I need it fixed permanently so they don't have to fix it again!!! I will NOT pay the $114.00. This is not my doing. Just need it FIXED!!!

Original review: June 27, 2016

My wife and I purchased a leather sectional sofa in 2013. We also purchased the extended warranty at the same time. In 2015, the leather began to crack and peel. We contacted NSI Protection Plus by phone and were told that the damage is covered under warranty. They issued a repair number and told us someone would contact us about the repair within 4 days.

Weeks went by with no contact from NSI. The claim status on their website indicated (and still does) that the claim is pending. I finally was able to reach a live person today and was informed that my claim is denied because it is normal wear and tear. This is not correct. Two other seats on the sofa get the same or more usage as does the piece with the issue. I feel like this warranty service is a scam and I am out the $219 for the BS warranty, not to mention the +$3000 "leather" sofa which wore out within 3 years.

Original review: June 14, 2016

In the last two weeks we have had to deal with NSI and A & E Service to get a GE Profile Refrigerator repaired which is covered by 5 year extended warranty with NSI. It was one fiasco after another - two weeks later refrigerator was finally repaired (we pray) after I threatened to contact my Attorney. They showed up in 3 hours! Unbelievable business dealings - not only have we suffered 2 weeks without an appliance, but the loss of food is probably in the $500 range not to mention having to eat out expenses! Pure insanity!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I purchased a refrigerator in 2011 with extended 5 year warranty which will expire 3/2016, received letter from NSI about renewing. I decided to research company mainly because I was having trouble reading the extremely fine print on the back of warranty renewal sheet. Wow! I am extremely happy I read these horrible reviews because it just saved me a few hundred dollars that I will now not be paying for extension. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I purchased 8 (yes, eight) Viking professional appliances with a 5 year warranty for EACH! I only received ONE letter and ONE phone call from NSI Protection Plus reminding me of my warranty coming due for my fridge. Unfortunately, I misplaced such letter & we don't even remember the phone call, yet never got ANY reminders nor courtesies nor phone calls for any of my other 7 appliances. Very true, I'm not over exaggerating.

So when I called them about a warranty question I had for my dishwasher, they abruptly replied of its expired time frame with no help nor assistance nor any kind of a one-time common courtesy from the company to allow me to renew my subscription! For ANY of my 8 appliances! They just shut me out. Within that 5 years, I have never submitted a claim nor issue, but now that my appliances need maintenance, they're not allowing me to renew? Doesn't make sense! It's not like I asked them to freely give me a brand new appliance. I offered to PAY whatever cost is needed for the warranty extension! Still, I came out to be the bad guy in this situation. NEVER in a million years would I recommend this warranty company to ANYONE!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

I called NSI for a repair and claim. Their phone has a recording that says "please call back another time." That is unheard of.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

I purchased a Speed Queen washer in June 2015. Today it made a weird noise and it sounded like a gear problem. I called them just to ask if they are whom I should call since I have a contract. When I explained about the noise, the first thing the customer service rep (a woman) said was, "Noise is not covered, read your contract." Then she said they would have to hear the noise. I asked how would I go about doing that. She said, "I could record it."

I told her that was really ridiculous. Before I could tell her I'd put the washer back on and she could hear it, she hung up. How rude. I think this is the worst protection company I ever heard of and I won't hesitate to cancel my contract. I did look at the contract, and I couldn't find anywhere where it mentioned about noises. Perhaps I missed it in their thousands word contract. Never buy a contract from these guys.

Original review: July 9, 2015

Do not buy service contract. I have not had my refrigerator working for 24 days and they are telling me it will be at least another 10. I have had the run around from both NSI and the local company contracted to repair the refrigerator.

Original review: July 1, 2015

I bought this extended warranty for my washer, dryer and refrigerator. The warranty expires on October 2016. Two and a half weeks ago my refrigerator broke. I called them the same day (Saturday). The service technician they referred me to wasn't available until Wednesday. Technician came and only spent 5 minutes in my house. He took a couple of pictures and he mentioned this can't be repaired. Two days later I called NSI and they said, "Yes we need to replace the refrigerator with a new one."

Calling since that day (Friday 6/19) almost every day and they always come up an excuse, "It's in process" "In 3 to 5 days", etc. I even had to talk to supervisors each time. One of them gave me "direct" phone number. I called him more than 20 times and he never answers the phone or returns my call after I leave messages. I'm soooo frustrated and angry. I haven't had a refrigerator for almost 3 weeks, have two kids at home and these people don't seem to care at all. Let's see how long this will take...

Original review: June 27, 2015

My mother purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator from a local appliance dealership. She purchased a 3 year extended warranty from Whirlpool. 8 Months before her 3 year extended warranty expired, NSI started to send Mom renewal notices. Luckily Mom did not to renew 8 months in advance. She waited until a month before (she saved the NSI renewal notices), it just so happens she received a renewal notice from WHIRLPOOL. My smart Mom paid the Whirlpool invoice and realized NSI is a scam. NSI had it all, Mom's name, appliance stores name, her address, her phone, the model # too.

Original review: April 14, 2015

Just renew my protection plan 7 days ago and tried to submit claim but I couldn't make it because it has not been updated yet and need to wait by 3 to 4 more days but not guarantee. It does not make sense to wait 2 weeks to renew my contract.

NSI Protection Plus Company Information