1.4/5 (186 ratings)
Find a Heating and Cooling Systems partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Nortek Global HVAC

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Nortek Global HVAC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nortek Global HVAC?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nortek Global HVAC?

Original review: July 29, 2015

First, I have read many reviews from people on this website that are consistent with what we are experiencing. We bought an Intertherm furnace with a Century Heat Controller 10 Seer 2 1/2 ton condenser as a replacement for our Coleman furnace in our 1987 mobile home. This was in Feb.2005. We hired Davison Heating and Cooling to do the work. This was the unit they recommended. This unit has malfunctioned every year since we bought it - leaks and dirt in the new coil. Leaks every year after. The blower is so noisy you can't hear the TV. I tried to get Davison H&C to replace it without success. I get mad just talking about it. We gave up trying to get what we paid for.

We are on the appliance plan with Consumers Energy and they will recharge the system with up to 10 lbs. of freon yearly so we get by with that. I guess we will have to replace the blower out of our own pocket. I was looking for the proper filters for the unit got the Nordyne name on the blower. So I got on the web looking for Nordyne and this site was listed with them. To make a long story short, I have never been so unhappy with anything else like this. We have all our receipts for all the hell we have been through with this junk. I would welcome a class action lawsuit. What I can't understand is how Nordyne can still be in business.

Original review: July 20, 2015

Had 5 ton unit Heat pump - 6 weeks compressor is already shot.

Original review: July 12, 2015

We installed two five ton heat pump system with six months. The first one, the terminal blew off the compressor on the condensing unit. The company replace the condensing unit but we had to buy the equipment from the company. Personally, that's not fair because I buy your product from the company should be responsible for the cost not me. The other heat pump condensing unit, the company replaced condensing unit without buying this one. Now, it's not working again.

Original review: July 9, 2015

Bought 4-ton package unit. Installed. Within 1 year the condenser coil leaks at weld joint. Replaced the coil. The leak caused water to enter system. A/C company tried 2 times to install dryer. Finally had a new compressor put in because oil was contaminated!!! Now new replacement condenser coil has a leak. This has been going on for more than 6 weeks! Still broke, have to use window shakers for cooling, which I may add is not that good. Time for a new unit. This is the picture of the compressor after the 2nd dryer. Now the unit doesn't run at all because of low pressure safety switch.

Original review: June 30, 2015

The unit has leaked from day one. Two "A" coils, two blower motors, one motor control board and the units still has to be charged every year to make it through the summer. I have spent as much money on the unit as I paid when I have purchased it new 6 year ago. This time the trace gas was inserted to see where the leak is this time and to determine if the unit will be replace with a reliable brand. My brother in law also has two Tappan units and they both leaked from day one. One "A" coil was replace last year on one of his units.

Original review: June 28, 2015

Warranty does not transfer with Nordyne unit. The company must not have enough confidence in their product. A company should consider long term customers and apparently this company does not. So when I have to replace my unit I would not choose this company. There are a lot of bad reviews already on the product. So buyers beware. A major purchase should have a transferable warranty. It was a selling feature when I made my purchase of home in 2014, that AC unit was 2012. Yes the unit is currently broke. 10 years in their product should mean 10 years, no matter who owns it. It is not anything for free, it is a fair and honest representation of your company and product. Anyone have any recommendations for a better company and product for AC. Thanks.

Original review: June 24, 2015

I purchased a mobile home 4 years ago and this past weekend, my A/C went out. When we took the cover off the outside unit, it was all burned and the wires were melted together. When I called Nordyne to check into the warranty, I was told I only had a one-year warranty on parts and five-year on the compressor. I could believe that a manufacturer would only offer a 1-year warranty. I have seen other and better know manufactures offer a 5-year warranty on parts and 10 on the compressor. When I asked if they would cover, they said no. So basically Nordyne doesn't have too much faith in their product so they offer the lowest warranty they can. I would never purchase another Nordyne unit in the future nor will I ever recommend this product.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Since installed in 3/2008 we have had nothing but problems with this unit. The unit kept filling up with jelly like substance on back side of coil not the intake side so not an issue of return air contamination and the unit would flood the attic damaging the ceilings and stop working. The coil was replaced. The outside fan unit has failed twice. The unit has lost Freon charge twice for no reason. This unit is a piece of crap. DO NOT BUY.

Original review: June 19, 2015

My wife and I bought a brand new HVAC system on 7/1/14. Installed on 7/5/14. By 7/29/14 ac quit cooling. Our tech came out and explanation was the solder they used to make equipment was not compatible with 410a refrigerant. Now it's June 2015 and compressor has completely gone out...not even a year old. And if that not bad enough, gas heater went out in Feb. We have been lied to by every person we talk to at Nordyne and also RE Michaels who sold unit to our contractor. We asked for new outside unit and were told we would only get compressor and their so-called fix is a bottle of oil in recovery line.

I will not buy any product from either company and recommend no one buy any of their products. If you're looking to buy a new home that would be first question I would ask and if that builder has their product in their homes I would run as fast as you can from them. Nordyne call center consumer affairs and warranty dept suck. No one in that company will tell you truth, especially about call backs. It's been in the high 90s with heat index over 100 everyday. I am disabled...have nerve damage from mid-back to both feet. Their response was, "Not our problem. We are not giving you new unit." They want to piecemeal it back together. And unit not one year old yet and been broken down 3 times plus 1 for heat.

That company should be investigated by government. They should not be allowed to sell junk like this. I overheard district person tell tech they knew this and around 10,000 units were affected but they still put them in boxes and sold them, knowing people were going to have trouble with these units. I think we should all pull together and start a lawsuit. And where in the world is our government when companies rip people off in such a manner? On yeah, they're too busy kissing China's a__. Attorney General should be all over this.

10 days...I will have to have surgery again. I will be in big trouble if my ac goes out while recovery in my home. I would not buy any of their products. Buyer beware. You won't get any help, any truth, from them. I just wish the CEO of that company would call me so I can tell him what kinda junk they carry and to put people in this situation is unbelievable.

Original review: June 19, 2015

We have been using Nordyne Coils for about 5 years now. We usually install a Nordyne Coil when we can't get others in because Nordyne has a more compact coil compartment. We have not had one coil fail to date. Outdoor units YES, TXV Yes, leaks in line sets YES.

Original review: June 18, 2015

Me and my wife bought a home from Oakwood homes in Asheville NC. They had a Nordyne 2 ton system installed. Had to call the installer out twice or three times. The first year the 2rd time to put new filter on it. The next call they told us we would have to pay service call. It has never run right after calling a local company. We will have to replace the whole unit. Will never buy another Nordyne unit as it has gave trouble from this first day. The inside unit leaks water, the outside unit should like a truck just sitting there running and it loses its cooling ability the min the sun comes up.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I had a Nordyne AC installed in my home in August 2011. Every year since then I have had a persistent leak of coolant from the brass ferrule connector that leads to the capillaries (if that is the right term). Three to four times per year the connection gets loose and leaks. My technician tightens the connection and refills the system - two to three months later it loosens itself again.

Original review: June 14, 2015

Built new home 2012 and a frigidaire split unit (nordyne) was installed. Summer 2012/2013 worked ok.... 1st time turning on unit 2014/2015 unit would not cool... out of Freon! Tech could not find leak 2014... Pump some stop leak into unit and recharged with Freon. A repeat in 2015... Tech says he will return in fall when AC is not in use and try to find the leak. This unit is only 4 yrs old!!!! I had a Fraiser Johnson on my previous home for 30 yrs with only contacts problem. Where is consumer protection in this case... This is a lemon case.

Original review: June 12, 2015

My wife and l purchased a new modular home. It was furnished with a Nordyne central air unit. Home set up central air put in first year OK. Second year no cooling. Called HVAC people to check it out after finding out warranty was only for one year. Unit checked and lines from unit to a coil was so cheap they split. Gonna cost me over a grand to replace lines. Wow. Impressive value for the money. Never again will l purchase anything made by Nordyne. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 27, 2015

Purchased a Tappan unit 2009. Thermostat faulty 2012, 2014 blower motor needed replacement, 2015 refrigerant leak. In all instances we have had to absorb the labor and refrigerant costs plus the huge spike in electricity bills. Nordyne are happy to hide behind their limited warranty while we have had to spend at least half the cost of the units $4800 installation. It is well documented in the industry that their copper coils were not of good quality.

Original review: May 26, 2015

I purchased a home from Oakwood in Glen Allen, VA in February 2009. My first year in the home I had to have someone come out and add coolant to the system twice, once they searched for leaks and sealed them. The following spring I had the same problem but was initially told it was no longer under warranty. After I contacted the company who installed the system, Oakwood had another unit installed. Since the new unit was installed, I have still had problems with the unit freezing over and have had to pay people to come and look for leaks and add coolant.

Last year I contacted Oakwood again and explained that I was still having problems with the unit and they told me I had to contact the manufacturer to see if any part of the unit was still under the manufacturer's warranty. Nordyne explained that only the compressor would still be under warranty (5 years). I didn't get it fixed last summer but have been trying to get the problem taken care of this year. I had someone finally come out and they found that it was indeed the compressor but now Nordyne is saying it is no longer under warranty because this unit is a replacement unit so it assumed the old warranty. To date the problem has not been fixed.

Original review: May 19, 2015

The customer satisfaction at Nordyne which makes NuTone is a joke and are the worst at their job. The company makes a terrible product and they do absolutely nothing to help you. All these bad reviews are true and I would highly recommend using any other company out there. I would use a big garage fan in my house before using them again. Worthless.

Original review: May 17, 2015

We bought a A/C made by Nordyne, name brand, Airtemp. We bought through, Murphys' Fuel Oil Co, P.O.Box 1409, Severna Park, MD 21146. It cost us 5,341.00 dollars. It was installed Aug 23, 2013. They told us, "This will last you for years". Our old one lasted over 25 years. We ran it for about 6 mos. This year, 2015, it stopped working. We called Murphys' Fuel Oil to come and look at it. The man showed up on 5/23/2015. He took it apart and found a crack in the coil, where the line goes into the coil. It was covered by a panel. He called his boss, **, and told him what the problem was. He then told us ** would call us.

** called us on 5/24/2015. He said he ordered the coil and it would be in the next week by Friday 5/15/2015. We called Murphys' to get an update. They told us it was on a truck. It was a no show or phone call. We called and they told us it might not be here til next week. If and when it gets here, it's going to cost us 500.00 plus dollars! We are so pissed off! The unit is model no. Vp7d042ka, serial no.Vpf130601437. How many units are bad as this one and has anyone had them fixed? We had no choice as to what unit to buy. We bought it on their offering and will last for years.

Original review: May 14, 2015

I bought a house new in December of 2009 and it came with a new Nordyne 2.0 ton heat pump. After one year it quit cooling and I had it repaired. The next year the same thing happened. In the 4th year I was told it needed a Freon recharge for the 3rd time and that the A-coil was rusted and leaking in multiple places. The A-coil was covered by the warranty and I again had to pay for all the labor and Freon. Now in the 5th year and 5th month it has failed again. I have been told by a technician that the compressor is garbage now. When I contacted Nordyne to replace it and to replace the entire unit as their warranty assures that they will, they have refused. They stated that because I did not purchase the unit and register it that they would not cover any of this.

They state on their website if a major component fails that they will replace the entire unit for 10 years but now they are saying since I didn't purchase it directly (the builder did) and that because he didn't register it that they will do nothing. They even tried to sell me another one of their units! Of course after reading online I see that all they do is manufacture garbage units made to last 1-4 years and they almost never honor their warranty.

DO NOT BUY NORDYNE. This unit has cost me over $3,000 in repairs and now I have to scrap it to get a quality unit with a quality company that backs their products. Save yourself thousands and buy from a respectable company. If Nordyne happens to do the proper thing and take care of their consumers I will be more than happy to recant my statements about their poor customer service but I don't see that happening considering I have spoken with multiple customer service representatives who have told me to just buy a new unit.

Original review: May 4, 2015

We bought this unit on 07/08/08 and have had it worked on EVERY year several times. Right now we are having to have a fan motor put on. I have a unit we bought from Sears in 2002 that never gives us any trouble. I don't know why we have so much trouble with yours. The unit type - self contained H/P, serial number Q4F080400713 and model number Q4SD-060K. Do you happen to have a recall on this, if not you should!

Original review: April 20, 2015

In August of 2008, I built a new home and had a Nordyne heat pump installed. I registered the product for a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Every 4-6 months from the time I moved into my new home, the unit has failed to cool or heat. The coils continually freeze up. The first 2 years technicians came out and added Freon repeatedly. This is a sealed unit and should not have lost Freon. The 3rd year, some part was replaced, I can't remember now what, yet the problem continued.

In June of 2014, a technician indicated that my evaporator coil had a leak. The coil was replaced at a cost of roughly $2,000, plus 3 service calls at $100 each. When I contacted Nordyne to file a claim, I was told the coil was only a 1 year warranty, that only my outdoor unit was covered, nothing inside the house. What a crock!?

The technician who replaced the coil was told by Nordyne that it was only covered for 5 years. This was year 6. I was told it was only covered for 1 year. I have a warranty in my possession for 10 years both parts and labor. The unit was installed as one collective system and was registered for 10 years parts and labor. When I contacted the company that built the home and installed the unit, they said they had never heard of such. In December of this last year, the unit failed again.

This time the technician indicated that a service valve was the problem and that it was a problem since the unit was installed. He replaced the service valve - Those service calls cost another $400. Today, the unit is failing yet again. I am now awaiting a technician for the 15th time in 7 years. Nordyne has assisted with one part - the service valve and the rest of the $600-$1000 per year in service calls, Freon, and the coil have been on my shoulders to cover. This unit has been a problem since day 1 and I hope no one else deals with this company. This is 7 years of constant system failures and constant service calls and Nordyne continued to give me the run around.

Original review: April 12, 2015

The 2 ton air handler unit model #bgbw 024k 05 is small and compact, and quiet but the bottom front base lip has very sharp edges and also very awkward hanging brackets were supplied. I like the fact that all info was labelled in front of the unit, including wiring diagrams and model info.

Original review: April 7, 2015

We purchased a new Solitaire home in Jan. 2012. The home was delivered and set up in Feb 2012. March of the same year the a/c system was installed. The unit worked great until Sept of 2012. I went to clean the filters when I discovered that the A-coil was a solid block of ice! The contractor who installed it came out and added coolant to the unit. It worked fine for the remainder of the a/c season. Spring of 2013, and guess what? The A-coil started to freeze up again. Contractor who installed the unit refused to come out and check the unit. Called another company to come and check it out. They found a leak (no big surprise). Nordyne only warranties the coils for 1 year (because maybe they know the coils are junk and will leak, just saying). Anyway a long story short, have to keep adding coolant due to all of the leaks (had another contractor do a leak check and he found one on the unit in the house along with the one outside).

And of course Nordyne will not replace the unit because we called another contractor to check it. Nordyne said that we had to have the contractor that installed the piece of crap to do the leak check. Really? So here we sit with an a/c that hardly cools. I agree with others on this review that a class action suit needs to be filed on Nordyne. We can not afford to replace the unit as we are both on disability.

Original review: March 28, 2015

We replaced our old furnace in November of 2014 and less than 5 months later, our new Nordyne (sold under Maytag name) needs a new igniter. We paid thousands of dollars for this new furnaces and had this occurred in the dead of winter when it is not uncommon for temps to be sub-zero, the consequences would have been disastrous, had we been out of town as we frequently are during the winter. Although this may not happen often, it only needs to happen once for catastrophic consequences to occur.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Very happy that I chose Maytag made by Nordyne. The Maytag is their top-level furnace and you can tell by looking at it and listening to it run and how quiet it is. Will be installing a new heat pump from them also next year. Our service company that installed it is top notch. I think that is the one reason why it performs well. I recommend Maytag and Service 1st Heating & Air.

Original review: March 6, 2015

I recently purchased a home in Dade City Florida. Within a month of the purchase I noticed that the AC wasn't working properly. When a technician diagnosed the problem with the bad coil he said it would be $1750.00 to fix. There is a 10-year parts and labor agreement (we are 7 yrs 3 months into the warranty). Nordyne will not honor the warranty because I am not original owner. A 10-year warranty should be a 10-year Warranty.

Original review: March 6, 2015

I am an AC contractor that have been installing this equipment for approximately 4 years. Out of 100 installs we have gotten only 3 call backs within the 1 year and all three times was the ECM indoor blower module of which was covered under a part warranty. Never have we had a leaking coil or any other problem. Although we do sell and install other brands, I am telling you the next AC I put in my home will be this Nordyne system. You cannot beat the reliability or the price.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

FG7TA -080C-VB Furnace - Service call at a residence. Heater doesn't light and led control board doesn't give any error at all. Not only the flame sensor bad, the board is bad. It's not 5 years old.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My furnace was installed in 1993 --- about 3 weeks ago it would not fire and I would get 4 flashes on the red LED --- Failure to ignite --- I could turn the furnace off then back on and it would light and go right out, usually on about the 3rd try it would stay lit and put out heat. I called a local heating and air company and they decided I needed a "Flame probe" and $200.00 later they left. Next day the same issue and they could not get back to me for about 3 days. I called another local heating and air company and they decided I needed a new "integrated control assembly" a 4 day wait for the part (I paid $50.00 extra for quick delivery ) and the next day the same issue. I was just out a total of $400.00 to this company (plus $200.00 to the first company).

I had given up on the local companies both of which told me I needed a new furnace. I took the front off of the box holding the burners and removed the 6 nozzles and made sure they were clean. I then blew the rest of the combustion chamber out with an air compressor --- seemed to have spider webs between some of the burners.

It has been a week now, seems the furnace is fixed! I called both companies and wanted to know why they did not clean the combustion chamber --- The answer from both was they were there to repair not to clean! If anyone needs a flame probe or an integrated control assembly I feel both the units taken off are good and I will give them to anyone in need! I feel my Nordyne furnace will continue to function for years to come --- I need to find a good local company to clean/inspect and not just change parts!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

Weatherization sent a contractor to replace my AC unit, cool seal my roof, insulate and repair air ducts. The man stole my heater that was in my home and replaced my AC with this stupid heat pump because he said it was cheaper to steal my heater which did not need to be replaced with this no warrantied Nordyne heat pump. I had never even heard of a heat pump until I found out he stole my heater and put this garbage in my home. Now I freeze to death and my electric bill has tripled so much for weatherization and I asked him where did he sell my heater at and to bring it back and take his no working AC/Heat Pump out of my home. I know he sold my heater because it was a new furnace my dad had installed in 2002. So because it was cheaper for him rather than installing a new AC unit he stole my heater and installed a one year warranty Nordyne Heat Pump that does not even work and has no warranty.

Nine months after he installed the Freon leaked out and now it must have leaked out again because one year after he put more Freon it stopped working again. The heater does not get the home warm unless you set it on 76 degree then it gets way too hot. There is no in between: if you set the temp on 72 you freeze, if you set it on 76 you burn up. What temp will keep it running and stay warm without making me sweat? This is the worst product I have ever seen or heard of.

Nortek Global HVAC Company Information