2. Homeowners
  3. Coffee Makers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5

Nespresso Reviews

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

The coffee is amazing. I have two machines, one original and one vertuo line. Both are stellar and it's a good thing for them because I would never continue to purchase the coffee if it weren't. Their customer service, (if they even have a customer service department) is ghost-like. You never get a response. Also, a heads up, if you enter a promo code and are interrupted by a phone call or something, they remove the promo code. So always check to make sure it is applied.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

On December 15, 2019 I went to the store in Bloomingdale's to purchased some capsules. Long story short I ended up buying an Aeroccino for $74.99, that they were going to ship to me because it wasn't available at the store. After getting home I found out that Target had it much cheaper $49.99, so I called to cancel the order right away and customer service told me that the order was cancelled. The day after I received the product and I saw the charge in my credit card so I went to the store where I purchased the item. They told me that I needed to call customer service again. I called and they told me that they were going to send me a shipping label and that took 24 to 48 hours to get (an email takes 24 to 48 hrs). A week went by and we didn't get anything. I went back to the store. They said that there was nothing they could do, that I needed to call customer service.

We called customer service back and they told us that I needed to pay for the label to return the item (unacceptable). After a lot of back and forth this is now the second time they told me that they were going to send me a label. Again I needed to wait 24 to 48 hours for a label sent to me via email. Now another week went by and I called customer service AGAIN and they told her the same story about the label taking 24 to 48 hours to be sent and also that we might be tight on time for the refund because they have a return policy of 30 days. Well I finally received the email on January 19, 2020 and we shipped the item the next day. Now the tracking says that they received it on January 22, 2020. I just called customer service and they told me that I needed to wait 30 days for a refund to be process.

Get expert buying tips about Coffee Makers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Let me repeat, just to be clear: ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! The machine and the coffee are great, but I don't think it was worth it. The pods are not in your typical grocery and household supermarkets. This makes NO SENSE and is VERY INCONVENIENT for the consumer. I was satisfied for years despite what some reviewers mentioned, however satisfaction ended when I placed an order for coffee with Nespresso almost one month ago

I went with the website advertisement for gift with coffee order. I spent $119.00.

Order was made Jan 8th 2020 to be delivered on Jan 13, 2020. It is Feb 3rd, and I DIDN’T receive the order. I tracked it with the carrier -UPS- and the company website and every one of them has different information on the delivery. I called customer service to inquire about my order, and they said, "Oh, it looks like it will be delivered tomorrow”. I’m not sure which tomorrow because I didn’t receive the order yet. When I asked to cancel the order, customer service said that they must wait for UPS to bring the product back to the company (Product that is maybe lost already) and then wait for 30 days to refund the money. Customer service was terrible, not helping, and they false advertised on nespresso.com, and cheated on the delivery date! Shame on Nespresso.com. I am so disappointed with Nespresso! I HAD TO SELECT 1 STAR ONLY BECAUSE IT WAS REQUIRED.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Let me repeat, just to be clear: ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I am so disappointed in Nespresso! I did a TON of research before deciding to buy a Nespresso machine (previously had a Keurig) so I thought I had made a good decision. However, I returned three unopened sleeves of Hazelino coffee that my husband did not care for. He has never disliked any other hazelnut coffee, but he did not care for Nespresso's version of hazelnut. I actually had ordered four sleeves, but of course, one of them was open so that he could try it out. So that sleeve was just money down the drain. Anyway, I read the return instructions very carefully and did everything exactly like it said to. I even wrote a letter explaining the reason for the return, which is not required. This was back in October 2019, and I still have not been reimbursed!

I've tried writing to them--never heard back. So I called them and the young girl in customer service was not nice or helpful at all. She told me that I had to have my tracking number so that they would know that I actually did return the coffee! This was not in the instructions! I told her I would look for it, but will most likely not find it. So I asked what would happen if I don't find it. She said there was nothing they could do without the tracking number to prove that I did, indeed, send it back! I told her I DEFINITELY DID send it back. She was not one bit helpful! So I will not be buying any coffee from Nespresso ever again. They cost the same on Amazon, and they have awesome customer service. Good customer service is very important to me. Nespresso has TOTALLY FAILED in that area!

Then a few minutes ago, I tried to order a couple of recycling bags from Nespresso, which are free. HOWEVER, it would not allow me to check out because I didn't order anything else. You are not allowed to order the recycling bags without spending money! Therefore, there is NO WAY for me to recycle the pods! Nespresso is preventing me from being able to do so! So, obviously, they DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT AT ALL, AND THEY DEFINITELY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS' SATISFACTION!

I am just livid and totally done with Nespresso! And I really had high hopes about Nespresso--hopes are shattered! I simply DO NOT TOLERATE SHODDY CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Very unhappy!!! Oh, and by the way, I never found a Nespresso pod that even came close to tasting good to me--so I make my own pour over coffee every morning. Delicious! And costs very very little--like, pennies. My husband has still been drinking the Nespresso coffee, but it looks like that is going to change.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My family enthusiastically introduced me to Nespresso several years ago, citing the great coffee and delivery. I was satisfied for years despite like some other reviewers mentioned. Their product isn't common or easy outside of their quirky device and brand. But I was satisfied until this Christmas. I purchased a gift package for parents. My parents informed me that they received the wrong size (I had send the correct size for their unit).

When I called to return the unopened package Nespresso said that they wouldn't accept that. Their customer service person tried to put their mistake on me? And then insisted that I pay money to deliver this to their warehouse (saying a store return wouldn't be possible). It then occurred to me - that they aren't really interested in customer service or a product. This is some slightly good coffee for people who perceive themselves as elite and the company just pushes that. It's not really a quality company as a result. I left feeling like I'd rather enjoy another method.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nespresso?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

The machine and the coffee is great, but I don't think it was worth it. The pods are not in your typical grocery and household supermarkets - this makes NO sense and is VERY inconvenient for the consumer. The Starbucks line of coffee is only offered in the old model of pods, which does not cooperate with the Vertuoline machines - that is inconvenient. The app doesn't recognize coupon codes that are sent through email, so you have to go on the website anyway - that is inconvenient. I placed an order four days ago and just received an email today that said there were "system issues" on their end and that they'd send my order out "as soon as possible". They did not offer anything but an apology; not even an expected delivery date.

THIS IS INCONSIDERATE AND INCONVENIENT because I have since run out of coffee and they're not in my typical stores - Lunds & Byerly's, Target, Wal-Mart, Cub - SO INCONVENIENT. I went online and opened a chat - there was an eight minute wait on an online chat - THIS IS INCONVENIENT AND INCONSIDERATE. I miss brewing a pot of coffee, this has become an unpleasant experience. I was willing to pay the hefty price for coffee until I was inconvenienced around every corner. It's just not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Received machine as gift from children after trip to Italy where we enjoyed good coffee!! Nestle has the marketing down pat. Big names draw a good consumer I guess. Product wise they are very lacking. While the machine "may" brew exceptional coffee, it is hard to determine as pods are very hard to buy. 8 days for on line delivery or a drive to a boutique 40 mins away. The machines are sold at every store in small, rural Ontario. The coffee to use in them seems to be an illusion. As I stated it was a gift so we will appreciate and use now and then. But we wish "George" had recommended something we could actual use, recommend and mostly enjoy !!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I purchased a Vertuoline maker about 2 years ago. After the initial infatuation of having crema on each cup brewed my wife and I soon came to the realization that the coffee really wasn’t that good. Only thing we enjoyed after that was making cappuccino with the espresso capsules. As a result we haven’t been using it much for the past year. For single cup I do my own pour over and if we want a pot I have a Behmor which is as close as one can get to pour over in a machine.

Well today I decide to make a cup with the Nespresso and it would only make weird grinding noises and the indicator light would then flash 2 times and pause repeatedly. Called customer service and only options were to have them pick it up and perform a $125 repair, or, out of the goodness of their hearts would give me an extra 5% off, total of 35% on a new brewer of same model for $130. I told them that if that is how well they stand behind their machines I would just chunk it in the trash tote where it now sits. And interestingly, my son has one of their better original line machines that bit the dust this week as well, at about the same age. I don’t plan on buying a new maker every 2 years, and then pay $1.00-1.30 per capsule. You can decide if you want to walk down that road, as for me I’m done.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I live over here in Honolulu, and I bought this machine Nespresso Vertuo. It is hard to find capsule for this machine, no stores sell Nespresso Vertuo capsule here, so you need to order it online and it takes few days to get here. Not like Keurig, if you run-out, you can just grab the pods from local convenient stores. Nespresso Vertuo, you need to wait for days to shipped it plus the capsules is expensive! And why do they sell the machines and not selling the capsules in local stores. I should just stick with Keurig. I don't recommend this machine to anybody!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Website advertised free samples with coffee order. After spending $106.00 on Nespresso coffee capsules, they failed to send me the free samples. When I called to inquire about them the customer service said, "The free samples go out with the orders, and if you didn't get yours this time, you would get them on your next order. We can not send the free samples alone!" "Are you kidding?" I said. I am not gonna order Nespresso capsules again after this, and specially not from nespresso.com. Customer service was terrible, not helping, and they false advertised on nespresso.com, and cheated me on my order! Shame on Nespresso.com.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Nespresso expert review by Jonathan Trout

Nespresso engineers machines designed to give you a quality cup of espresso coffee in your home or office. It has two lines of machines, Virtuo and Original, that each has close to 20 models. Models range from $149 to $600. It also makes two lines of Nespresso coffee that come in the form of aluminum pods.

• VertuoLine: Nespresso machines in the VertuoLine family use technology called Gentle Centrifusion to extract flavor from the grounds. This gives your espresso a rich, aromatic and silky finish. The VertuoLine offers two sizes of coffee capsules that have the perfect amount of coffee for a half or full cup.

• OriginalLine: Nespresso machines in the OriginalLine use a high-pressure (19-bar) extraction system to brew coffee. This distributes high-pressured water evenly through the ground coffee. OriginalLine offers a large variety of espresso coffee flavors, each with its own flavor profile.

• VirtuoLine coffee: Nespresso’s VirtuoLine coffee includes 16 flavor profiles that can be filtered by eight intensity levels. You can find full descriptions, intensity levels and flavor profiles online. A 10-pack of 10 different flavors (100 capsules) is $102.50.

• OriginalLine coffee: Nespresso’s OriginalLine coffee includes 24 flavor profiles, including decaf coffee. All flavors, profiles and intensity levels can be seen online. You can get 15 varieties of coffee (150 capsules) for $108.30.

• Accessories: Nespresso offers multiple accessories for each line of machines. You can find glass espresso cups, capsule storage racks and capsule dispensers.

• Best for: consumers looking for a high-quality, easy to use espresso machine.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team