2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Murray Lawn Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray Lawn Mowers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Murray?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought one of these Push Mowers (21in 500 E Series) on May 1, 2018 from Klamath Falls, Oregon's Walmart, returned it this evening on May 2, 2018 ran about five minutes today. It was hard to start because it was like the engine or blades were too tight to pull the pull start, when it finally started it ran about five minutes and then completely froze up, where the pull start was stuck and would NOT budge, no give and lawnmower was stalled. I was lucky that I got a full refund but only because I threatened to call Walmart headquarter or most likely I would have had a $174 lawn ornament instead of a lawnmower.

I would not recommend their lawnmowers. Also, it smelled like it had had gas in the tank recently, before I put gas in the tank, so may have been a reboxed resealed one, not sure. Here is the codes from the box it was in, maybe someone else had it before and they may be reading this. These were all the number codes on the box Model Number/Manufactures ID Number: 961140037 00. Brand Murray Serial No. 012218M047528. Customer Catalog No. MP 21500HW UPC Number 0 85388 23583 1. I hope this prevents someone from going through the refund fun, just don't buy one because you will have to return it, unless you want a lawn ornament.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought one of these (Murray 21in push mower) last spring. I had to return it because it would not start. They gave me another one. I used it for a couple more times. I have a small enclosed area where I keep my dogs. I called them because this one will not start. They're telling me that it's a carburetor issue. There was no gas left in it and they want me to haul it around to again to an authorized dealer. What? You didn't even answer the phone and I'm not quite sure if they exist. The people are extremely rude when you call. Not very helpful and obviously there's an issue if you have two more hours. I have done the same thing. He told me it was the carburetor or either he has x-ray vision or knows there's an issue with the mower. Funny I didn't have any problems starting my John Deere this year. Buyer beware. Do not buy this product. It is junk and they do not stand behind it and they are rude.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My husband bought a Murray lawn mower from Walmart about 4 yrs ago. He mowed with it twice, and we do not have a large yard. Third time it refused to even start. After talking to the lady in that dept. she told me this was happening to most of the ones by Murray, and to take it to a local place who would repair it & they'd pick up the tab. As they should've. It ran a few more times, another trip to repair. After that, what was the use? Got another brand at another dealer. Never again!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Murray lawn mower bought at Walmart in Yukon, OK - Walmart dont stick by their products. Had to call Murray. They passed the buck to Briggs & Straton. The people there only said sorry. Gave some phone # to call service people in OKC. And they wanted as much to inspect than the mower cost. The parts are all plastic trying to cut cost so they can make more money to rip the public. USA made. They are not all bad. Being a veteran money is tight and wanted a new mower that would last. It’s all about the money. Been using Briggs all my life. They just dont care. Just get worse. Pure junk and some service people wont even work on them USA made by Briggs. Save your money. Dont buy because you will cry.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I purchased this mower a few month ago and it is nothing but trouble. I've had 2 gas caps vibrate right off and ran them over, chopping them in pieces. My cover for the air filter vibrates off every time I mow, and when pulling the mower backwards, it completely chopped up the blk plastic guard that is supposed to be there for safety. By the way, it should never even touch the blade. This mower stalls constantly, and have trouble starting it almost every time. I'm VERY UNHAPPY with this mower, and it's frustrating just to go out and mow. NEVER again will I buy any Murray or Briggs & Stratton product. By the way, My dad has the same mower and he also has the exact same problems I have. I live in Ohio, He is in NY. What does one have to do to get these problems resolved? I can only imagine that there is many many more people with these issues.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Murray Riding mower - My boyfriend bought this mower at Walmart in Mayfield, KY. About 34 days later, the transmission locked up. I called Walmart & we had to transport it back to KY Walmart so they could see it. They gave us another new one to replace it. This morning I was finishing the mowing from yesterday & the darn transmission locked up AGAIN!!! Is this a common problem or just our bad luck? Mower now sitting on the edge of our driveway and will not move!!!

Original review: May 29, 2017

Ok people hope this helps. Good mower with design flaw, so after I purchased mower had same problem. Damn thing just wouldn't start. So I read reviews and asked myself why would so many people have same problem. So I inspected whole of mower and found everything in proper working order. Then I went deeper and found a serious design flaw after I drained gas. I open the gas cap and found a problem. Now this runs on 2 cycle and that means oil with gas, where gas goes to engine under gas cap directly on bottom. The small screen will get soot and oil when sits for even a short while. So get pipe cleaner and stick it inside gas tank and scrub off soot and mineral build up. Poor or no gas flow to engine, well take it from there.

Hope it helps the frustrated like me that gets poor customer service when trying to warranty or return. Runs like a champ and yes poor gas flow will make it struggle, shut off and jump around. Hope someone finds this insightful.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Bought a Murray 21 inch cut/Briggs and Stratton 450e, from Walmart on 5/27/17. The next day it started right up on first pull. Was cutting grass, stopped to take a rest after 20 minutes of cutting, went back out to start cutting again and the thing won't start, I must have tried to start it more than 20 time and my 16 yr. old son tried about as many times as I did. I grew up watching my father run lawn mowers with B and S engines and was always impressed, not so much now. It's going back in the box and back to Walmart tomorrow.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My husband bought a Murray seat motor riding lawn mower, if that's what you call it. So we divorced and he left me the lawn mower. It never cranks or runs. After reading these reviews I know now not just me. Out of the past 10 years I've probably got to mow my grass 5 times. Always new battery seems to help. Change out solenoid every year. Hate this mower. I like the style of mower but don't help when it doesn't run.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I purchased new 4.1.2016. Wasn't long engine didn't sound right. Carburetor was messed up. Not covered under warranty. My husband sick and took few weeks to get a 2nd opinion that it wasn't just me. Put carburetor on it. Belt kept coming off, was told wrong belt on it. Wouldn't go into transport hardly at all. It would take up to 25 attempts to move it.

Finally would and then if you could get it running mow then 25 more attempts to get it back into shed. Call for help, take it authorized dealer to get looked at and they will tell you if it's covered. I have to pay transportation fees to get it to them or they pick it up. You have to deal with 4 to 5 different companies to find out information. When the tech Not authorized, was putting carburetor on it, he had to take that piece of black plastic off and what I saw was a shock!. The flywheel looked like it was 20 years old, it was so rusted!

When calling Murray/Briggs & Stratton, gave them the serial # and was told it was a 2005 Body... I had just purchased it 95 days or so ago! They would not do anything, Wal-Mart wouldn't do anything (over 90 days), Husqvarna would not do anything (they make the body),... etc nobody would do anything. I told them all the transport doesn't work. They say "take it to a authorized dealer. And during all this, my husband passed away and didn't have time or energy to mess with it. Briggs & Stratton did finally reimbursed me for having the carburetor put on it as a one-time courtesy.

I called this morning to finally get the transport fixed. They told me they did not work on the Murray's. They did when calling them last September. Got the name of another dealer, he said it's most likely not covered, will make some calls and get back to me. I just want the people thinking about purchasing a Murray so BEWARE! I'm out of a lot of money! (at least to me $1,200 is a lot of money when you don't have a lot!) I am attaching copy of the receipt where I purchased it and the photos of the rusted parts. This is honestly the truth! Its sounds made up but it is the truth. I put 1 star because it would not let me leave it blank. I had to do it!

Murray Lawn Mowers Company Information