MTD

Quit paying for costly home repairs

MTD

Quit paying for costly home repairs

MTD Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2017

Purchased a small BOLENS gas blower from Lowe's because it was cheap and lightweight but had a 2 year warranty. Less than 6 months later and with little use it stopped running and refuses to start. I always use non-ethanol gas with quality 2-cycle oil and even filter the gas into the unit. After some difficulty locating an approved repair facility and delivering the blower, the repair tech said BOLENS/MTD rarely approves warranty repairs and he didn't think it worth even asking them in my case after he inspected the machine.

Original review: March 26, 2017

February 2016 I purchased a new riding tractor from Sears manufactured by MTD. Within the first ten minutes of cutting grass it threw the drive belt. Sears came out to make repairs. Ten minutes later it threw the belt again. Sears replaced it and delivered another one. Ten to fifteen minutes later it threw the drive belt. Two weeks later Sears came out and repaired it. Ten to fifteen minutes later it threw the drive belt. Sears replaced this one with a different version. This one threw deck belts. Yesterday Sears came out and repaired this one. Today it is working. But I am fed up with paying good money for cheap inferior products. Today I went out and purchased another new yard tractor to replace the Sears/MTD unit. I do not understand a company making poor quality products. I guess I never will.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I bought a new MTD lawn mower in April 2016, using Briggs & Stratton engine. I replaced the oil, used the engine according to guidelines as any normal consumer would, I used the thing 4 or 5 times, each time for 1 or 2 hours... then the engine block (probably connecting rod) exploded... I checked the oil level before this last usage and it was normal. After 1 hour of work the engine exploded. I am lucky not getting the shot from the engine into my leg. Of course, the warranty claim is rejected with default answer "not adequate oiling" of the engine.

Original review: June 30, 2016

I bought this weed trimmer at Lowe's one year ago. It is very difficult to start. It will not stay running when. Throttle is advanced. It will run occasionally OK after a 20 minute warm up. The line advance (bump head) broke after 1 month. Adding line is a pain. I sold it at our yard sale.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

I did question to your representative, by phone and had not intention to give info, about start pull cord. He said if I don't see the machine I cannot give info. I was by phone, how he can see this, this is... and attitude was for not get intention to give orientation. It is the worst customer representative I have found from all the companies that have service in spanish.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I purchased a brand new Yard Machines lawnmower in May and it died after only 4-5 cuts. It came pre-assembled from Sears and I followed all of the instructions that came with the lawnmower including adding gas and oil. I even kept it in a shed behind the house so that it was not exposed to the weather. When it stopped working, it had somehow ran out of oil... Maybe it leaked, burned up, I'm not sure but Yard Machines (MDT Products) refused to cover it by the warranty stating that it overheated due to having no oil in it and that could only be caused by customer neglect. I even contacted their head office hoping that they would come to their senses but they refused to help me. Now, I have a lawnmower that has been used for less than 2 hours total that is going to the dump. This was my first AND LAST time buying this brand!

Original review: July 19, 2016

Only got 2 uses out of a Bolens mower and warranty won't cover repair because they say it was bad fuel. I bought a Bolens 21" walk behind lawn mower with large rear wheels from Lowe's in June 2016 because my other mower (Weed Eater from Walmart) had died after 4 years. Heard that Briggs & Stratton engines were good (Weed Eater had one) and thought something from Lowe's would have a good warranty. Liked the big rear wheels -- thought it would push nicely. I am a 64-year-old woman and use a ride-on mower for most of my yard, but need a push mower for the hilly parts and areas between garden beds, and along the road, etc. Although I'd never used it before, I bought a bottle of Sta-Bil additive as recommended by the salesman. Filled up my gas can at 7-11 and added 1/2 bottle of the Sta-Bil. The mower worked beautifully that day and again one week later.

The next week, I added more fuel (from the same container) and the mower started and ran for a few minutes but then died. I tried to restart it -- no luck. Called the customer service number on sticker on mower. Was told to take it to Cecil's Tractor in nearby town because they handled the warranty service. Had to wait 10 days for them to look at it -- not their fault, it's the middle of mowing season and they're very busy. Verdict is that the carburetor needs cleaned and/or replaced and this service is not covered by the warranty because the problem is due to bad fuel. I put the same fuel in my ride-on mower and it is still working. Minus the Sta-bil, I also filled up my SUV and it ran fine -- don't think it was the fuel or the Sta-Bil.

Repair shop (Cecil's Tractor) says cleaning the carburetor will cost $95 and if that doesn't work it will be an additional $75 to replace the carburetor (could cost up to $170). I don't have that kind of money after just paying $179 for the mower only 3 weeks ago! I will never buy another Bolens, MTD, or Briggs & Stratton product if this is the lousy warranty that they have -- you'd think that if a mower wouldn't start within 1 month of purchase you'd just get a new one or they'd repair it for free. Things aren't what they used to be! I'm bringing the mower home and will try to find a student at the high school where I teach who wants to try cleaning a carburetor (kids like that are much harder to find these days -- in the 1960s when I was a teen, most boys tinkered with engines).

Original review: July 19, 2016

I've got a Remington string trimmer I bought end of season 2015. I used it 2 times in 2015. Ran it completely out of has prior to storing it for a long Wisconsin winter. Spring 2016 came. Put fresh 40:1 mixture gas in it, ran it the first time. Ran great. Second time after weather got warmer. Ran it for about 30 minutes, it shuts off when it gets hot and won't restart till it cools off. Called MTD, they sent me to OK Hardware in Amherst Wisconsin, closest authorized dealer near me. I went there and Dave made an adjustment and cleaned out the carburetor. Said, "Try that".

Took it home. Couple days later went to use the Remington string trimmer. Got about 15 minutes into weed eating my yard. Iit died and wouldn't start until cooled off. I called OK Hardware and they told me they are an authorized REPAIR NOT RETAILER yet they've got about 30 of these string trimmers hanging for sale in the store. The owner of Hardware store told me he's never seen MTD exchange one out that I had to call MTD back and rectify the problem with them. I called MTD Warranty center and asked me why the OK Hardware Store in Amherst Wisconsin wasn't working with me on the problem. My reply was, "I don't know. That's why I'm on the phone with you!!!"

At first the lady from warranty center told me Remington is not made by them and are now bankrupt. I asked why that hardware store is still selling their products. I was put on hold. 5 minutes later she came back saying she gave me the wrong information that it was vursa or whatever she said not Remington. Anyways my wife travel nurses. We travel every 13-16 weeks. Shows how much I'd use a string trimmer 5-6 times!!! She said without a receipt they wouldn't do anything for me. The machine is date stamped 2015, it's only 2016 and like I said, 6 months during winter months I don't weed eat the snow!!!

BUYER BEWARE. I WOULDN'T EVEN GAVE THEM ONE GET THE RUN AROUND. 1 person, "Yeah we will take care of you." The next saying, "Nothing we can do for you." Lesson learned. Read reviews before buying something. Look at MTD'S reviewer rating, 1.5 stars out of 5!! People, please don't waste your money!!! This company will not back their products!!! I wouldn't even gave them one star but had to proceed to leaving my review. The warranty center people are rude and talk down to you!!! Do not buy from OK Hardware Amherst, Wisconsin and definitely don't buy MTD products. You will regret it.

Original review: May 12, 2016

Bought a yard machine push mower last summer. Won't start for start of season. Fresh gas, changed spark plugs, checked oil, cleaned air filter. That's about the extent of my mechanical ability. Before taking it in to a repair shop, I called for warranty. Won't honor 2-year warranty without proof of purchase. I don't have a receipt for a $250 cash purchase from Home Depot from last summer. My fault for not saving the receipt, but a product that has less than 25 hours of use and won't start is unacceptable.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Purchased the chainsaw (Versa Chainsaw Model RM1635W) from Lowe's. Have used them before and for this time watched YouTube and read all instructions before use, so knew that with initial use adjusting the tightness of the chain would be necessary after use. This needed to be done after about 15 minutes of using it. The next day used it again and the bolts and entire casing fell off (needless to say, the chain came off also). One bolt was lost in the brush and when I went out to find another bolt, they are specialty bolts that Lowe's doesn't carry.

When I returned to the house, someone else had taken the housing and other parts laying beside the chainsaw thinking they were to be removed during this property clean out and I have been unable to find them anywhere, so went to Lowe's again. They don't sell the parts - Sears does, but Lowe's recommended calling the Remington Customer Service number "since the product is under warranty".

I had already registered the chainsaw through Remington, so they had the model # and serial number. I called and spoke with 3 people during the day - the first explained that the company had been sold and they had limited parts available (of course), and that if I wanted parts, I would have to figure out what they were called and look them up on the internet to provide THEM with the serial numbers to see if they even had them!!! I did that (found the numbers on a SEARS site after picking through the diagram for the model) and called back. The cost to me would be half what I paid for the chainsaw and more for shipping, so I decided to give up until it occurred to me that the warranty (these warranties on these products are useless) should have covered these items since the thing FELL APART.

So I called back and explained my reasoning and the agent left to "see what (he) could do"... giving the impression that they are talking to a supervisor when in fact they probably just have standard instructions. He got back on the line and said they could offer me a 10% discount and free shipping and that the warranty was only for manufacturing errors (do they ever take responsibility for their products?). Since I hated to have wasted the money for cutting down one small tree with the thing, I agreed to have the parts sent and am waiting a week for them to arrive. Long menus, very difficult process requiring the customer to do the work despite registering the product, and an expensive attempt to fix this product.

MTD Company Information