2. Homeowners
  3. Coffee Makers

225 International Pkwy, Lake Mary, Florida 32746

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

Mr. Coffee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Coffee?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Coffee?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I absolutely love my Mr. Coffee machine! I use it 3-4 times a day and I haven't another coffee maker that makes my coffee the way I love it! I can time it to be ready for me right when I wake up and it's so vitalizing to be the very first thing I smell when I wake up in the morning! It's easy to clean, to brew coffee in, and it's the only coffee maker I'll ever use! My friends and family can't over how the coffee tastes from my Mr. Coffee and they always swear that I do something special to it. I try to tell them that I don't, that it's just the way Mr. Coffee works, and it gets frustrating when they don't believe me. The only thing I do differently is that I keep my coffee in the freezer so it doesn't go stale. My mother always did that too so it's something I've always done. My sister has the same machine and she can't get her coffee to come out the same way mine does and she keeps her coffee in the freezer as well. I love my Mr. Coffee!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I purchased this product because the Mr. Coffee brand has been a part of my household for years. My grandparents trusted this brand. The coffee maker has the usual rectangle, upright design. The coffee container appears to be the usual industry standard which holds 12 cups. It has a clock with a delayed brew timer. The brew strength is anywhere from mild to strong. The drip tray is standard. Coffee grounds are placed in the container from the top which has a flip lid. The brew time is normal. However, the spout in which the water flows from the reservoir to the drip tray is of low quality. It is somewhat flimsy.

My biggest gripe would be that the spout must be moved to take out the drip tray that holds the coffee grounds. If you forget to place it back in its previous position, the spout which is of low quality can be broken easily when the lid is closed. This is bad. Other than that, the coffee maker produces very good tasting coffee. I will probably stay with the Mr. Coffee brand. However, there are no perfect coffee brewers.

Get buying tips about Coffee Makers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Since I am the only household member, my Mr. Coffee is a 5 cup capacity. It is a very simple model - very inexpensive - but has all the features I need. It has a timer to set for coming on automatically in the morning - and has a one hour automatic turn off feature - which is great. It makes great coffee and the coffee is the perfect temperature. There are many more complicated, expensive coffee makers available but this maker - for $25.00 is perfect. It also has an extensive life-time - and when it does quit I will buy another just like it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Keep it simple. I have tried many different coffee makers and I came back to my first coffee maker, Mr. Coffee. The clue is, "I have tried many coffee makers." Seems in order to try many coffee makers they either did not last long or I wore them out. Unfortunately, they did not last long. I have tried expensive ones, ones with many features, or sadly, the popular one on the market. After many makers and years, I decided it is the coffee not the coffee maker that gives me the result I want, a great cup of coffee.

For me, the more expensive the maker, the more disappointed I am with the maker. My coffee maker just needs to make my coffee with a push of a button. Having coffee grounds sit overnight with water sitting overnight as well just does not give me the freshest cup of coffee. I like to use filtered water and freshly ground coffee beans. Yes, I have to wait a whole 5 minutes for the coffee to brew and I have to prepare my maker as well. The result is a fresh, hot, satisfying cup of coffee. I feel, the less a coffee maker does, the less things that can go wrong. Remember, Mr. coffee let you make 10 to 12 cups instead of instant coffee by the cup.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I wasn't in the market for a Mr. Coffee, but when I noticed the updated appearance and relatively low price I thought it was worth a try. Frankly, I have been surprised at how wonderful this particular model of Mr. Coffee operates. My preferences are pretty simple--hot, fresh, and robust black coffee. The thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot much more efficiently than a heating element, and since the coffee isn't being heated it retains its freshness. There is absolutely no bitter taste with any left-overs that I may drink at lunch. And yes, the coffee is still warm at lunch time...pretty remarkable. I also like how easy it is to fill with water; the reservoir comes off which makes it easy to deal with. And it makes a great tasting cup of coffee. It's an attractive, effective, and easy-to-operate coffee maker. I highly recommend this model of Mr. Coffee.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

First, I want to make clear that I'm *not* expecting a top notch coffeemaker when spending $20 to $40 on a coffeemaker, but I do expect the coffeemaker to work more than 4 times and not to cause a dangerous water+electricity situation. Our home has hard water, and even with frequent coffeemaker cleaning and our water softener, we have to replace our coffeemaker about every two years because they pick up so much corrosion in the heating element tube, and eventually will no longer brew in a reasonable amount of time.

Next, let me say that this is actually the *second* time this has happened with two different models from Mr. Coffee and Walmart. The first time was two years ago, and I figured it was a fluke. Three days ago, we replaced our previous Mr. Coffee with a brand new, sealed, not beat-up box, Mr. Coffee; model # BVMC-MMX23 from Wal-Mart.

Even though it's a basic coffeemaker, we read and followed the instruction manual - including running the first "no-coffee clean it out" cycle. This morning (the 4th brew), I filled up the water reservoir, and I started hearing an unusual water trickling noise. I looked at the reservoir level indicator and could see the water level rapidly going down (even though the coffeemaker wasn't brewing). Next, I realized that water was pouring out the bottom of the machine, onto the counter, and all over the floor (all 12 cups worth). I immediately unplugged the unit from the wall as soon as I realized what was happening and could not understand what in the world was happening. After the small flood woke me up, I remembered that this exact same thing happened with our last Mr. Coffee after its first few brews!

Being comfortable with electronics, I removed the bottom panel from the coffeemaker, and was exactly as I suspected. The chintzy hose clip, that holds the hot plate/drip hose in place had failed. The hose was no longer connected, and the water reservoir was emptying next to and *on to* the electronics. In fact when I opened the unit, the (power) mains were soaked.

I understand that this likely a "Walmart version" of this coffeemaker, but it's my opinion (after two failures on two models), that this is unacceptable -- I cannot substantiate it, but I feel that retailers using predatory sourcing tactics have forced manufacturers into corner-cutting that lead to potentially dangerous situations with their products. Additionally, I'm confused how UL certified either of these coffeemakers. What was a frustration and mess for me, could have been a lethal electric shock for another.

If I had more time on my hands, I'd be apt to buy Mr. Coffee from another retailer, take it apart and compare the manufacturing and part differences between the two of them to see if the Walmart version was potentially different. Either way, the chintzy hose clamps I've seen on both my current and previous Mr. Coffee(s) from Walmart clearly do not have the holding power that they require. Last point, I'm interested in knowing why Mr. Coffee clearly put a drain on the bottom of the unit --- are they expecting the internals to flood?

I cannot recommend this product, and perhaps this is a good time to remind everyone that if you have an electronic device that contains, is near, or uses water -- if water is where it shouldn't be, do not touch the device, and first turn off the electric breaker before continuing. If anyone is interested, I have photos of the failure/internals. Please feel free to contact me for them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Stylish, fast, dependable, quiet. Keeps coffee hot, brews strong or regular strength at the touch of a button, has a clock and timer but no lighted display, which it needs. Timer is dependable. Has coffee ready when you wake and keeps coffee hot for two hours then automatically shuts down. Easy to clean, has a strainer basket for easy grounds disposal. Dishwasher safe. Makes a great cup of coffee.. available in multiple colors and styles.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I've been using my current coffee maker for 8 years. It's a good buy since the cost is still under $40 at Wal-Mart. It's stylish in black and red but also comes in plain black. It's easy to fill the water without spilling which is one of my main requirements. This is the second B&D coffee I've owned. My last one was still working but I wanted the one in black & red. Brews a great cup of coffee every time. Has all the timer and settings buttons of the more expensive coffee makers.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I have the Krups too. Get to that later. Mr. Coffee is what I have use. Clock could be bigger and have a led light be nice. I have the Krups and I clean it out per the instruction of using vinegar. After that I could not get the taste out of vinegar out, no matter how many time I wash it and ran it. Krups did sent me a replacement that I do use for mid day coffee. Mr. Coffee has not let me down when I come down in the morning. Coffee ready at the time I program it. Just keeping it simple.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Does not last long enough, already need to replace it 11/2 yrs. It leaks water from the bottom & I have to keep refilling with water to get a 6 cups of coffee and wipe up water from the counter & floor.

Mr. Coffee author review by Jonathan Trout

Mr. Coffee specializes in making and selling drip and speciality coffee makers, espresso machines and coffee accessories and replacement parts. It makes multiple models of drip brewers that brew anywhere from four to 12 cups. You can choose from different models of cappuccino, espresso and latte machines, all with different features.

• Personal Coffeemaker: Mr. Coffee’s Pour! Brew! Go! Personal Coffeemaker is just big enough to make a single cup or a travel mug full of coffee. Measuring just 12 inches tall and 5 inches wide, it perfectly fits the provided travel mug. The top holds loose ground coffee, eliminating the need for coffee pods. Personal coffee makers come in six bright colors and cost $19.99.

• Versatile brewer: Mr. Coffee’s Versatile Brew 12-cup coffee maker can brew a 12-cup pot of coffee or a single cup of coffee with the push of a button. The single cup side can fit a mug or travel mug for easy, grab-and-go coffee. The machine also has a hot water lever so you can get hot water on the spot for things like oatmeal or mac and cheese. The Versatile brewer is $79.99.

• Performance brewer: Mr. Coffee makes seven models in their Performance Brew line of coffee makers. They feature large brew-heads that shower the grounds with water instead of flooding them, which makes for a fuller flavor. They come with water filtration systems, delay timers, brew-strength selectors and two-hour shut-off timers. Performance brewers range in price from $49.99 to $59.99.

• Latte maker: Mr. Coffee makes a 24-ounce capacity latte maker called Cafe Latte that brews and froths your grounds into a latte. You add ground coffee to the brew basket, milk and additional ingredients in the carafe, and the latte maker whips up a latte using your favorite recipe. Latte makers are $99.99.

• Espresso machines: Mr. Coffee makes three styles of espresso makers ranging in technology and capacity. Their least expensive model ($39.99) makes 20 ounces of espresso and froths milk so you can make lattes and cappuccinos as well. The Cafe Barista is Mr. Coffee’s most expensive model and is a three-in-one espresso, latte and cappuccino maker. You can select a single or double shot filter, select your grounds, fill the milk reservoir and add recipe ingredients. The Cafe Barista does the work for you. It costs $199.99.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team