Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Miracle-Gro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?

Original review: April 4, 2021

Like many in the forum, I wish I had come across the reviews shared here by many. I purchased a bag of Miracle-Gro Garden soil at home depot for my wife's vegetable garden. Previously it had been doing well but time had come for some repotting. Upon opening the bag of Miracle-Gro Garden Soil, I was shocked to find pieces of broken glass, plastic bags, PVC tape and other tiny items. Having removed the man made objects, l used what l could on a few pots. I later discovered half of our plants stopped growing while others began to wilt and die.

Miracle-Gro was supposed to be a brand that you could trust, (or so l thought). It seems to me as if their soil now comes from construction sites or abandoned playgrounds. I guess once long ago they cared about the quality of their product but now they cut corners selling soil with little to no nutrients. Avoid this product at all costs.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Purchased a 25qt bag of Miracle-Gro potting soil to repot house plants, after planting the plants stopped growing. The leaves went limp. So I checked the PH, etc., I was raised on a farm. I'm not a newbie to growing but these plants stopped growing then I noticed fungus knots. I tried everything I know to rid of them, I did get them under control but then noticed round, some clear, some yellowish orange eggs in the soil. So I took all miracle gro soil out and went thru it. What I found is little yellowish pieces that looks to be beetles, the adults actually look like a piece of yellow shell. How I know is I put them under a microscope. It's very hard to see that they are a pest without a microscope so I thought maybe it was a bad bag so I bought another bag but of the moisture control. When I got it home opened the bag.

I thoroughly went thru the soil then I knew for certain the pest came in the first bag because the second bag had lots of the same eggs with lots of LIVE adults and I still haven't found what they really are. The closest I got is it looks to be in the beetle family. Beware if you buy this soil, if you do go thru it to look for any clear, yellowish eggs or in the adults they look like a seed that has cracked open but they have a yellow shell. I would've been much better off going to the barn and got manure, dirt, etc. instead of paying for a soil that was loaded with insects, etc.. I purchased the first bag at Lowe's and the second at Home Depot.

Get buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This soil has gone down hill for some reason. It contained large pieces of wood & clay in it. Cutting corners I expect, but at what cost. You're tarnishing your company's name. I think we'll switch brands next summer.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The first bag I bought had a large percentage of the weight attributed to rocks and most of the rest was wood. The second bag was about 90% wood shavings/chips. Almost no soil whatsoever. Garbage. Don't buy it.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I bought two 50qt bags of this at Costco about 2-3 months ago thinking I was getting a great deal since they were on sale for about $8/bag. I’ve used Miracle-Gro before but in the ground. This year I decided to do a lot of potted plants on my porch. I decided to use this brand since I’ve had great results before. This dirt is terrible. You would have better luck just digging dirt out of the ground to use than this junk! It stays too wet all the time. I had maybe 15 containers of flowers and I’m down to about 5 now because all the others have died due to root rot. I hardly watered my plants at all that are sitting in the full sun and it’s hot outside 90s but yet somehow after 1-2 weeks the dirt is magically still wet. I also should mention that I always bring my containers under shelter to keep them from being rained on so that I could control how much water they receive.

Anyway, I’ve conducted a couple experiments. One where I had a flat with about a 1 inch layer of this potting soil in it. Also, I left the bag open on purpose and after 2 weeks both were still soggy wet despite no water being added to them. This causes tremendous root rot and loss of oxygen to plants roots and kills them. I’ll never buy Miracle-Gro products again. I’ve switched my growing medium to peat moss, black kow, and perlite, and I’ve switched all my fertilizers to Ferti-Lome. Now I understand why I’ve heard such bad things about miracle gro products from avid gardeners. You live and learn!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I purchased 11 bags of the raised bed soil to fill two beds. All my green beans, lettuce, and tomatoes have died from a fungus in the soil. Plants from the same packet if seeds are thriving in different soil.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I bought this soil from Costco, excited about getting organic soil at an inexpensive price (approx. $9). I got it home and immediately found half a shoelace in it. It was brown but still had part of the plastic tip. Fast forward to the next three days... I found about a dozen pieces of plastic... ranging from the type used in disposable grocery bags to hard blue plastic used for who knows what. Not sure how they define organic, but I wouldn’t say anything with a quarter lb or trash in it should get that title. It was gross.

Original review: June 2, 2020

So disappointed with this soul. Spent $9 a bag only to Rio the first bag open to have some gnats come out. I didn’t think anything of it and continued to open up the moldy smelling bags with more small gnats. In a few hours there was thousands of the gnats (aphids) eating through my vegetables. It’s been 17 hours since and I tried spraying organic aphid repellent last night and it’s gotten so bad all my plants are destroyed. I’m so distraught and out hundreds of dollars.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I transplanted three large plants using this product and here I am two months later, and I only have one plant left. I have treated the soil with nematodes and put hundreds of dollars into trying to eradicate these pests!! I'm beyond pissed that this company sells a product that's so infested with a troublesome pest to get rid of. They are literally everywhere in my house. They are so thick in the room with my last house plant my mother gave me years ago, that I can hardly stand to be in that room. I don't know what to do other than toss a plant that I've had for years. I have emailed the company and received no response.

Three bags costing around $21 has turned into hundreds of dollars wasted trying to make this nightmare go away!! Not to mention having to clean up the thousands upon thousands of these things all over the house. I will never buy another product from them ever again!! I hope their business tanks for the crap they are pulling!! Worst experience EVER!!!

Original review: May 31, 2020

Brought several 1.5 cu. ft. bags of the Garden Soil from our local Home Depot.... When I say garbage that is exactly what I mean. Plastic, Glass, etc... You name it it was in there, they are selling us straight up crap. We know you don't care as long as the money keeps flowing in, but you did lose a customer here, be proud of yourselves. You got me for the last $100 I'll ever give to your company.

Miracle-Gro Company Information