1.2/5 (198 ratings)

About Miracle-Gro

Miracle-Gro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?

Original review: July 6, 2015

I purchased a nice little Hybrid rose bush for my patio. I placed it in a nice outdoor pot and planted it in the Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and also used the Miracle-Gro plant food. I calculated out the precise dose of plant food for the pots and use it once a week as per the instructions and give ample water and sunlight and I must say in the last month since I planted the roses the growth is very amazing to me. I am not sure what the complaints are about but it has worked just fine for me, I am sold on these products.

Original review: July 5, 2015

Foul smelling oily brown liquid that stains your concrete. That's what was coming out of two huge pots on my front porch that I filled with this soil. The plants seemed happy enough, but the smell was so foul! And every time I watered them, the liquid that came through stained my concrete porch. I scrubbed repeatedly with OxiClean and got out a lot of it, but not all of it. I'm going to try CLR next. It's hard to find things that won't damage the nearby plants and lawn from the runoff. I bought new soil and changed out one pot yesterday, dumping the Miracle-Gro in the compost bin, and I'll do the other one today. I wish I could respond to the post by Alicia and give her these suggestions for cleaning her concrete, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. The moral of the story--I'll never buy Miracle-Gro products again!

Original review: July 3, 2015

A few weeks ago I used Miracle-Gro soil to plant new vegetable seeds, and now I have mushrooms in the soil growing bigger than my vegetables! I won't be buying their product any more. See my picture...

Original review: June 30, 2015

We have a small garden for our tomatoes. We do not live in a development and no one has sprayed herbicides anywhere around us including from the air. Every year when I plant my tomatoes I put MG garden soil in the hole and around the plant to give them fresh soil. I have several varieties of tomatoes. They are all nice and green with no spots/yellowing/bugs but the tops have curled badly and are gnarled and look like fiddlehead weeds. I cut those parts off but the new growth is the same. No flowers at all. From what I have researched with pictures that match what I have; it's herbicide damage and can come from manure, etc. I have no choice but to blame this on MG garden soil as it's the only additive in the garden.

Original review: June 28, 2015

We bought Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix and found small flies inside after it was open for a few weeks. The flies are all over the house now.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I have purchased miracle gro soil at home Depot for the first time this season, and around my veggie plants I have mushrooms growing like you can't believe, I feel as if they have taken over, no matter what I do. Removing them has become a daily ritual. I will and advise to never purchase this product again. I work so hard every season to grow my own veggies every year. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 27, 2015

After putting two bags in the grow and mixing with present soil, I water my tomatoes and the water just rolls off the Miracle-Gro area. It does not accept water unless I get on my hands and knees and play patty cake in the soil, ridiculous. I will buy an organic garden soil next time.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I used this to start tomatoes earlier this year and had a terrible germination rate. I wrote it off as something I must have done. Now, I've planted 400 pumpkin seeds. 350 in peat cubes and 70 in Miracle-Gro I bought at Sams. I also planted 70 gourds in the stuff. In the peat cubes, I have probably a 95% or better germination rate and in the Miracle-Gro I have about a 5% germination rate. These seeds were all from the same package, planted the same day. This stuff should be sold a pre-emergent herbicide not a potting mix.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I always thought Miracle-Gro was the ultimate potting mix. It was always too expensive for my budget. The spring of 2014 Wal-Mart had a 40 lb bag of potting mix on sale for around $11 so I grabbed several bags. My husband made 2 6ft x 2ft beds in our deck a few years ago so I decided to dig out all the soil and start fresh. I filled them with the Miracle-Gro potting mix I purchased. My 3-year old rosemary plant died and I couldn't get any flowers to grow in those beds. I planted a coral bell and It lived but struggled. So I started working the soil only to find, and the only way I can described this, is like a fine mesh netting was choking my plants. 1 bed alone filled a contractors bag to the brim. It was so heavy our trash service would not pick it up. Mind you, there was no dirt connected to this netting. I wondered when I opened the bag why it didn't smell like good rich soil. It had a petroleum type odor along with a mildew type smell.

I also re-planted several of my container plants I have had for years that I bring inside for the winter. I then began to notice gnats. I used everything to get rid of them. They just kept appearing. My raised vegetable beds, potted plants and new beds were all infested with this mesh netting and gnats. Everywhere I put the Miracle-Gro I have had this problem. The bags were also filled with sticks, like mulch, plastic strings, rocks etc., it was horrible. I had a partial bag left so out of curiosity I looked to see where the dirt came from. MADE IN CHINA!!! THIS IS SOOOO ALARMING!!! Of course Miracle-Gro stated it was processed under their strict guidelines. Right. What better way to diminish our food supply. This early spring I once again cleaned the deck beds and my raised beds out of the mesh netting. Three months later I noticed my new Rosemary plants looked sad so I started digging and it was full once again with this mesh/netting substance.

My raised beds are the same. It is hard work to maintain our beds and we really love raising our own vegetables not to mention the expense of replacing plants. We are furious. I try very hard to buy USA products. I never imagined Miracle-Gro would come from CHINA. My vegetable beds are going to need a cleaning because they are not growing like they should be growing at this point in the season. Every place I have put this Miracle-Gro you will find this netting/web/mesh type organism. Simply chokes out everything. DO NOT BUY Miracle Gro..... Check your soil to see if you find a mesh netting type organism. I never had this problem until I used the Miracle-Gro. Concerned, Alarmed, Angry Consumer.

Original review: June 15, 2015

This is my first year planting on my patio and was very proud of my patio garden. I noticed all of my plants had small winged bugs in them. I looked them up and found out they were fungus gnats. I replanted my plants with Miracle-Gro products along with compost made by Miracle-Gro and a few weeks later I check my plants and they have a fungus gnat infestation. I will never use Miracle-Gro products again for my plants. Even though they are growing, they are not doing as well as others that didn't use Miracle-Gro.

Original review: June 13, 2015

Opened a new bag of Miracle-Gro potting soil and see round little yellow eggs - what are these? I probably need to return the bag to Home Depot in City of Industry. I purchased a large bag - didn't ask for a receipt as this was my only purchase.

Original review: June 10, 2015

I purchased one of your fertilizers and also a bag of dirt. With the company as big as it is and as good as most of your products, you should really get up to date on packaging. I am sure you are using the cheapest way of packaging, but not very customer friendly. Once you open the bag of dirt it is open with no closure except maybe a piece of tape. The fertilizer is still in the cardboard box that it has been since I first started using your products. Can't help but get some water on this packaging. Some of your packaging is very good, but these 2 items are the "pits". What is your reasoning for these choices. Don't include the price as your products are anything but cheap. An eternal gardener. Please advise. Thank you.

Original review: June 8, 2015

I purchased two large bags of Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Moisture Control Potting Mix to use in two large decorative pots for my front porch. The drainage from the pots have severely discolored the concrete on my porch. I have attempted to use a 2300 psi pressure washer and NONE of the discoloration diminished. In addition to the stench of the dirt welcoming guests to our front door, I would NOT recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I have purchased three bags of Miracle-Gro's Moisture Control Potting Mix and have discovered that it's infested with yellow slug eggs. And not only that after transplanting my sunflowers and re-potting my geraniums I noticed a lot of gnats of which we don't normally have. What is even sadder is that not only one batch of my sunflowers have died but going on two batches now. I have one lone survivor that is about 4 inches tall at over 13 weeks from germination. Horrible!!! Along with my geraniums slowly dying off. The soil mixture besides being infested, lacks quality. Filled with stick and wood chunk fillers, absolutely ridiculous. And Miracle-Gro offers no care or reimbursement to my problems.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Places you go for soil these days mostly have this product name, Miracle Gro, in common. Dept. stores at 1st glance & upon walking around, Miracle Gro, is what you see. Overstocks, all over indoors and out, stacked areas from concrete floor to the very tops of steel racks or inside shelving. I now find this infuriating as I search for the other brands (well known or not) or even "generic" soils to purchase. I am an experienced container plant growing consumer who actually refers to any and all plants that come to this house as "babies, pets, friends" etc. But I think I'm making my point quite strong and clear- Within these past few months, when a variety of Miracle Gro's soils were bought as a surprise and also used to repot a few of my "babies" which had gotten big and were due for a larger pot upgrade! A very beautiful and expensive gesture from my boyfriend - and one that has since seen almost ALL said plant babies, young and some years old die!

They'd survived anything else plants deal with, remaining STRONG, BEAUTIFUL and GROWING until Miracle Gro became what they lived in. Not to mention, sudden infestations of EVERYTHING, also inside the house!? That's crazy and I battle this everyday and now I'm also covered in bites that are unexplainable. I can't see or catch what's even biting me, then I find out it's because they're smaller than a flea, flying usually not alone most active at night but are out day or night. I will take 1 picture right now to post. I want to say, this actually looks good compared to few days ago, I DO NOT HAVE A FLEA, BEDBUG, NOR OTHER HOUSE BUG PROBLEM! I don't own a farm in the country on a lake with birds and cows, chickens etc. I live in the city folks! And I have never seen my legs this bad, and occurring over a two night period until I put on tights, or stretch pants wearing them ever since.

Original review: May 31, 2015

I bought two bags of Miracle-Gro Garden Soil to plant my few containers. A few days later I had an terrible outbreak of poison ivy! Its all over my face, neck, chest arms, and legs. I'm miserable and can't sleep. It had to have been from the Miracle-Gro soil as I had not done ANYTHING else outside! I've been to the doctor for a shot and prescription and it's still spreading. This week I'll have to go back to the doctor again because it's still spreading! Thanks a lot Miracle-Gro! Needless to say I WILL NEVER EVER buy any of your products again!

Original review: May 21, 2015

Spider mite eggs throughout both large bags of potting soil, what do I need to do to save my plants???

Original review: May 20, 2015

I bought a large bag of Miracle-Gro for my garden in containers, made holes in the bottom, put needle point plastic over holes so rocks wouldn't cover up holes. I now have gnats inside and around my plants and leftover potting mix outside. Mushrooms come up all of the time. Really really small bugs go back and forth like ants on my patio. Pepper and strawberries look bad and the strawberry plants stay wet and are dying off, already lost some of my plants. I was told by my mom's friend to use Miracle-Gro, he does with peat moss and sand mixed in. Peat moss is hard to find to help with watering. The gnats bite us and one of my four strawberry plants is dying. What can I do to save my garden and get rid of the bugs.

Original review: May 17, 2015

Sure wish I had been smart enough to find this before planting. Bought the MG PS. Did regular planting stuff, looked great. Cukes , Bells, Water Melons & Onions, from seeds out of the ground in 6 Days.. Then all Hell Broke Lose. Started noticing my hanging tomatoes, started curling upwards and leaves turning black and had already started blooms. I tried to Baby them thinking it was something I had done. As each day passed it got worse, so last ditch effort I transplanted hanging stuff into the ground. Needless to say I am still trying to save them but it looks like it will be a slow failure. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY **MIRACLE GRO** ANYTHING EVER IN LIFE AGAIN. TRUST THAT....

Original review: May 16, 2015

The first time this season that I purchased Miracle-Gro garden soil, I found TONS of pieces of shredded plastic in it. As if my bag of soil was made up of lots of other bags of stuff, yet the people combining them were too lazy to take it OUT of their bags and just shredded everything. Emailed pictures and got a refund on my bag. I stupidly purchased another, bigger bag, assuming the first time was a fluke...not only were there more plastic shreds, but there was a hard, sharp piece of metal. (I am five...FIVE...scoops into this bag.)

This bag is now going out into the woods behind my house. If my three-year old was helping me plant again and cut herself on that piece of metal, I would be LIVID. Needless to say, another email with pictures has been sent. I tried to be patient and not write a review, but this has now been a waste of my money, my time, and all the seeds that I've planted. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 7, 2015

3weeks ago I purchased 4 bags (3.5) Miracle-Gro potting Mix. I repotted 5 house plants. 3 of them were very old. NOW!!!! I am see little black gnats flying around in my kitchen and living room. I threw the receipt away the same day NOT knowing that I would experience this problem. I had to go and purchase a pesticide along with a different brand of dirt to try to get rid of them. Even though I don't have my receipt I still should be reimbursed for my money.

Original review: May 5, 2015

Bugs, mold in bag and all throughout my house. I have changed dirt not realizing it probably had the same problem, so now I use dish liquid in water to water plants. I am trying to keep them alive.

Original review: April 24, 2015

Miracle-Gro (The Scotts) doesn't care about customers and our plants! They care only about profit! I bought 5 bags of potting mix (soil) a month ago, all had moisture-mold smell which I didn't notice at first sign - all soil been infected with bugs-insects which appeared after a week. Then I contacted the company, lady said she can give me $20 REFUND, and I need to send them receipt.

She can give me $20 refund. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I spent $40 on this MIX, my time to replant my plants, on transportation (gas), my time to go to the store, I lost many plants (because of this infected mix) and my nerves. I need BACK my time, my KILLED plants, my nerves! I asked them if instead of the refund they can send me New Fresh non-infected soil so I can save my plants and replant them in good fresh soil - they refused.

Original review: April 23, 2015

Used Miracle Gro Flower & Vegetable Garden Soil for my tomatoes last year. I found out that the reason they died and did not thrive like they have for 15 years was because of thrips. The only new thing I used was the MGFG. Also found that the Psagnum Peat Moss and potting soil was infested with gnats and I lost my Jasmine and a few other indoor plants. I will never buy anything from them again.

Original review: April 10, 2015

Just bought nine 2 cubic ft bags of Miracle Gro "Garden Soil" for an actual 4'x4'x11" raised bed. After planting I find out it is NOT garden SOIL but is actually a soil an amendment to be mixed with soil. The bed size should have been filled with 16 cubic ft (8 bags), however, 9 bags (supposedly 18 cu ft) did not fill the bed. Very misleading/ incorrect labeling. Such misleading tactics should not be allowed.

Original review: March 23, 2015

I purchased Miracle-Gro potting soil to replant some indoor plants and my house became infested with gnats and my plants died. I also used Miracle-Gro in the outdoor vegetable garden and my garden is infested with billions and billions of gnats. Mushrooms are in the garden and my plants are dying. Vegetables never grew. Miracle-Gro is crap and I will never purchase their products again. Now I have to figure out how to fix this disaster.

Original review: March 18, 2015

I planted a small garden of veggies on my lanai using miracle gro. At first I didn't know why I had these little gnats all around my lettuces. I thought they may be mosquitoes. But research taught me that these are thrips which injure your plants and resulting fruits and herbs. Tomatoes end up deformed. I had to get rid of every growing thing. They were also invading my home. I still did not realize that the soil was the problem until I did it all over again with brand new miracle grow organic soil.

The bugs were instantaneous and then I knew. I treated with a caustic thrips killer and it must have been so full of thrips that it really did not change the situation at all. The mfg of the thrips killer said don't treat more than once yearly so I had to get rid of everything all over again because the thrips were too numerous and I didn't want to harm myself or anyone else with another treatment to the edible plants.

Original review: March 11, 2015

I am not a novice gardener, especially when it comes to houseplants. I worked on a large indoor planting project in December. After much time researching plants for the environment, lighting requirements, care, soil requirements, etc., I had to select from the Miracle-Gro family as this is all they ever have at Lowe's or Home Depot (purchased at both places). I purchased and used the following: Moisture Control Potting Mix, Sphagnum Peat Moss, African Violet Mix, Orchid Mix. The first 3 mixes all indelibly had the same issue in that they were INFESTED with FUNGUS GNATS and the FUNGUS that causes "DAMPING" on the plants. Had I opened the bag and discovered the gnats, I would have taken them back right away.

Within a week or two of planting, the infestation made itself known and only got worse from there. 17 out of 17 plants have suffered the fungus gnat infestation and re-potting with newly purchased soil doesn't make any difference (ask me how I know). 16 out of the 17 have suffered from damping off, and all have either died or suffered so much that they are on their way out. Note: I tried to make my own soil mix using Miracle-Gro's Perlite, Vermiculite, and another medium and have had no luck in restoring these plants. Even their vermiculite is crappy and nothing like the vermiculite I used to get years ago. This was a LARGE project and a lot of money was invested in the plants and these horrible soils all for nothing. The plants are stressed to the point of death or have died.

The orchid mix was so large and coarse that the orchid died in no time. The wood chunks were huge and not moderately sized such as you see in most pre-potted orchids. I seriously fault Miracle-Gro for their CRAPPY QUALITY and SELECTION of so-called soils. I WILL NOT be buying anything of theirs ever again. I also fault Home Depot and Lowe's both for having NOTHING BUT this BRAND available for purchase in the varying mediums. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THESE SOILS!!!

Original review: March 7, 2015

I've been having what looks like a gnat or fruit fly, flying around in the evening when I am in my LR watching TV. Couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Well, today I went to repot a plant and when I took the bag of Miracle Gro, moisture control potting mix, which was stored in my hall closet, upon opening the bag found it was infested with these little flying gnats/bugs. I was mortified thinking that they have been in my house all winter. Would, at this point, like to know how can I get rid of them and will they infect all my plants? Not to mention I feel like they are crawling all over me now.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2015

Have been using Miracle Gro forever. I just had to discard 9 beautiful plants because I discovered gnats in them all. I had potted 3 plants and refreshed the soil with the other 6 plants. After going crazy for 2 weeks trying to get rid of the bugs I checked the bag of soil. It had the gnats in it. I am having a hard time with having to get rid of the plants. I bought a plant from the super market a lot of years ago and saw it had bugs right away and threw it out, knowing that they spread. This incident is so beyond that. Most of these were established plants I have had for years. Don't know how I am feeling about Miracle Gro right now. I give advice to people about Miracle Gro being the only soil to use. I can't do that anymore.

Miracle-Gro Company Information