1.20/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Miracle-Gro

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

187 Miracle-Gro Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have noticed over the last few years that the quality of this product was going downhill... Mold, bits of trash, big rocks, and worst of all is the little nettle-like slivers it causes! I kept buying it hoping it would improve. Last week I used some and got MANY slivers in my hands! I got all of them out except one and it is deep and festered and infected! If I end up having to go to the ER or my DR. over using this product I will do everything IN MY POWER TO MAKE SURE THEY PAY FOR IT!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I added Miracle-Gro potting mix to my mango and papaya trees that I have been growing for 10 years and in one day it killed all 4 trees. It dried it out and all of the leaves fell off. Is very upsetting. I will never buy this product again.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Bought 6 bags of Miracle-Gro compost and found all of the bags were full of stones which was a absolute nuisance when pricking out seedlings having to stop, remove stones and refill the pots and trays.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I used a finger pinch full of this on my garden starters the day before, and woke up to them all dead or dying. They shriveled away from the bottom up. I spent hours last year saving these seeds, and spent months growing them up to this point, and Miracle-Gro plant food killed my entire garden in one night. Do not use.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I bought a 2 cubic square ft bag of Miracle-Gro potting mix for $13.00 at my local garden store to start my tomato seeds and transplant my garden flowers this spring. I discovered a white mold growing on the surface of all my seedlings and noticed the texture of the mix seemed to have more wood chips and foreign materials in it than previous years of purchase! I found rocks, and trash, and even noticed tiny grasshoppers coming up out of my seedling cups and eating my seedlings! I'm very disappointed in Miracle-Gro as I have been a loyal customer for 15 years! NEVER AGAIN WILL I WASTE MY MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT! WAY TOO OVERPRICED FOR SUCH POOR QUALITY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I opened a bag of Miracle-Gro Potting mix and dumped it in a large pot. I noticed a nasty smell of paint thinner or petroleum coming out. I took a few whiffs and it actually made me faint-headed. This is not a healthy pine-bark smell. I hope it has not contaminated my pot. I am taking this toxic stuff back.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

After repotting my philodendron the soil has almost killed my plant. The soil has root fungus that produced fungus gnats. It is a Miracle-Gro Potting Mix and I have had to completely remove it with root damage and 3 weeks to dry.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We repotted several tomatillo plants in pots after thinning from the main garden. We now have ones in the main garden, 2nd garden, 3rd garden, & pots. We potted with Miracle-Gro & then added additional Miracle-Gro to garden #3. The tomatillos in main garden & garden 2 are growing healthy. The pots & garden #3, which had Miracle-Gro added now have fusarium wilt attacking them. The wilt is now affecting additional veggies in garden #3 that were healthy prior to the Miracle-Gro addition. FRUSTRATING! In addition to being contaminated with fungus, we found 2 PLASTIC CIGAR FILTERS in a bag of Miracle-Gro. Will NOT be buying this garbage again.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Noticed that all 5 of my plant that I repotted with Miracle-Gro now all have a covering of white mold across the soil. I keep these plants well drained yet it still grows. Sprinkled cinnamon to try and prevent the mold growth but this soil seems like the perfect environment for it to grow. :( Looks like I am not the only one to have this issue with MG. Now I have to figure out how to save all of my plants when one is a Passion flower vine that I will almost surely have to cut all the way down just to take it outside to repot it since I have a toddler in the house that can’t breathe in these mold spores. So sickening. Wish I never would have bought this product. :’(

Original review: June 5, 2018

I repotted all of my plants using Miracle-Gro potting soil. Right from the beginning, something was off. The soil seemed drenched but would not drain. Shortly after, my mom house-sat for me and said my plants are all overwatered and to leave them alone for 2 weeks. Grrr. These are my babies. I know how to take care of them! After 2 weeks, all the plants are browning. The soil is somehow still sopping wet and has white mold growing all over it. I can't decide if I should repot them and fight the mold and gnats or just cut my losses. I'm really sad and upset that my plants, that I have loved and cared for so many years, are dying because of this horrible "soil." What is this crap? There is a major problem with this soil! You are killing everyone's plants and gardens.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought several bags of Miracle-Gro to put in my raised garden. Every time I barely touch the dirt it feels like shards of glass in my hand. Just today I went out and just pulled a small weed out and my fingers hurt like it has glass in them. Kind of feels like if you handle fiberglass. I don't know what’s in it but next year this dirt will be gone and I will never buy Miracle-Gro again.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil - Seedlings (using new pack of seeds and new container) are getting leaf miner- I'm on 4th floor balcony so not coming from other plant. Thanks Miracle-Gro for ruining my seedlings. Now will be a miracle if I don't kill my back carrying bag to trash and carrying ANOTHER bag up to start over. #expensive mistake

Original review: May 13, 2018

Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss. Unopened bag purchased last year at Walmart. TOXIC SMELLING, I worked it in pots. Toxic funny taste in mouth. Now it got hands, I cannot believe how strong this odor is. Smells like petroleum oil.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had an Australian tree fern (bought for $185) and a dieffenbachia among other plants in my house. I decided to repot those two. My plants were healthy up until the week I repotted them. My tree fern is completely dead now and my dieffenbachia is yellowing and dying. I noticed green mold on every area where the Miracle-Gro was around the original soil and now there are little bugs that come out of there while I'm watching TV; they crawl around out of there. You killed my precious plants Miracle-Gro. If you love your plants, don't take a chance with this cheap Miracle crap, I should have known that you get what you pay for. I've used cheap soils in the past but this was a stunner. BTW, when I pulled out my fern, the roots had not progressed into the Miracle-Gro soil; it seemed they got burned and killed every time they tried to expand into the new soil.

Original review: April 2, 2018

For 25+ years I have used Miracle-Gro potting mix up till the last 3 years. It is so deceiving especially your commercial on TV. The first 25 years your mix was just what is portrayed when the person is running their hands through it. It was AWESOME. The last 3 or more years it is mostly bark mulch and coir. There is no good soil in it whatsoever. Don't get me wrong but the other brands are not much better. But the fact that the commercial shows nothing like you package now and the commercial was on last night. Your prices have not fallen, our plants die and we lose not you. I tell everyone I see purchasing it to think twice. If you want bark mulch buy bark mulch. If you want better and your plants to live don't buy Miracle-Gro.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Miracle Gro potting soil - Should be called not so miracle die! Plants I've had for 40 yrs and more are dying. They have no roots. They keep getting bugs, parasites, and the not so soil never dries out even in direct sun, I have to keep taking plants out, shaking off "not so" and spreading it out soil to dry. I have lost many beloved plants inclusive Aunt Nonie a 125 year out Christmas Cactus. We should be able to sue them! Seriously, some recourse please. I cried about my old cactus which was moms and before that her Aunt Nonie hence the name. Please help us.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Miracle-Gro potting soil has “fungus gnats” they don’t tell you about. So if you pot or repot your indoor plants with it you’ll have bugs flying all over your home. Check out other reviews - it’s the worst soil - unless you want bugs. I suppose you could put it in glass containers with stretch wrap over it and microwave it for a few minutes to kill the bugs first. I do wonder why Miracle-Gro doesn’t kill the bugs before selling their product. Disgusting. What about a class action lawsuit?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I recently purchase one bag of Miracle-Gro Cactus Soil and one bag of regular Miracle-Gro Plant Soil for indoor use. That is all the kind they had at my local store. I have a lot of plants and don't re-pot my plants unnecessarily. I had opened the bag of cactus soil and the smell was unbelievable, smelled like something was rotten within the bag. Even my husband couldn't believe it threw that bag away. The regular soil bag didn't smell and appeared to be normal color and texture so I repotted some of my plants with that one. Guess what white fungus all over the soil, scraped it off and now it's back worse than ever. I am going to go buy more soil not Miracle-Gro brand and re-pot all over again. I am a master gardener with many years experience and I will never use or recommend this brand to anyone. Obviously they only care about selling substandard products to people.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My friend got me a large indoor plant 3 weeks ago for my birthday. We got it from Lowe's and being a bit of a dork, I have been very excited. We bought Miracle-Gro to fill the cute barrel pot we got and I have been keeping an eye on the plant. Today I went to check the soil to see if it was too dry and the whole thing was filled with tiny little ants (There are no other infestations in the house). I quickly brought the whole plant downstairs and placed it on the porch. Upon closer inspection, not only were there ants but due to the movement, CENTIPEDES came crawling to the surface of the soil. Blegh. There is NO way that those critters could have been from anywhere but the Miracle-Gro. Going to try some non toxic insecticides and repotting it into nicer soil. Hopefully it can be saved. Get your ** together Miracle-Gro.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I recently moved to a new mobile home park and since I was starting with a new yard, decided to grow my plants in pots this year, since did not trust the native soil. I used a new very large pot and planted a very healthy tomato plant that I had growing from another pot. Used new soil from a bag of Miracle Gro potting soil I had recently bought at the local K Mart store.

When I was done planting it, I gave it a good watering and as plants in pots or tubs do it began to spill water from the bottom and this water was an ugly black oily looking water. That I could not understand, but the next day my plant was wilted and 2 days later it was dead. The only thing in that planter was the new soil from the new bag of Scotts Miracle Gro potting soil from K Mart. Threw out the soil and dead plant, scrubbed the pot with soap and water and started over again. Filled the pot with clean soil from miracle potting bag from K Mart again and planted another plant. Making sure that was the only things in the pot.

Same results, black to brown dirty oily looking water came out the bottom. I had topped off some of my potted plants that were already planted in other brands of soil I had bought from Home Depot, before I had any idea the Miracle Gro potting soil could be the problem and now they too were draining from the bottom with ugly brown/black oily looking water. There is no way I will ever buy any more of the Scotts company products again. I can see the results of how their soil is made by what happened to my plants. My own personal experiences tell me, not to bother returning a product that does not stand up to their previous reputation. I would rather lose plants to bugs than grow fruits and vegetable in contaminated soil. I am done and will go elsewhere for better than that.

Original review: July 6, 2017

My friend and I bought MG Organic Potting Soil from Home-Depot. I transplanted a few flowers from reg. soil to organic potting soil. In about an hour my skin started burning. I took a shower, but it seemed to do nothing for the burning, I was feeling. 3 showers later still the same. A few days later l ask my friend to help me. He had no clue what to do. The things we done to get whatever was on my skin off. I cried the pain, I was and still in (11 yrs) I've been dealing with.

This stuff all over my body has taken over my life. Once I figured out it was the soil, I called Scott's to ask if they could give me answers. They sent a lawyer. But not to help me, but only protect Scott's. I pray to God to just let me fall asleep n not awake. I've not dated anyone in 8 yrs. Try explaining this to someone, they think I should be in a rubber room. My dear friend has spent so much money trying to help me. Most of all he's been by my side for years. Even if he thought I were nuts. Now I'm able to have others that deal with the same crazy stuff MG. soil has caused us.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Bought several bags of Miracle-Gro soil. Went home cut the bags open and started spreading the soil and noticed little white bugs. Looked closer because they were moving. The Miracle-Gro was infested with TERMITES!!! I immediately ran inside my house and got a gallon jug of pesticide and saturated the Miracle-Gro. I just hope I got them all before they could get into the ground. I got onto Miracle-Gro's website and told them what happened. That was a month ago... Haven't heard a word from them. MIRACLE-GRO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR INFESTING PEOPLES PROPERTY AND HOMES WITH TERMITES. Today I notified Wal-Mart that they were selling termite infested soil to the public. I felt that I was just brushed off by the management. All they had to do was go break a bag open and they would see for themselves. I thought maybe they might be able to make an impact on the Miracle-Gro Company and send their complete shipment back.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Purchased 2 bags and used it to repot indoor plants. In a matter of 2-3 weeks- tiny bugs started appearing from the plants and traced them from the soil. I have put in a call to the store where I purchased them from, which is willing to reimburse me for the purchased price. That is just but right, but now other than the great nuisance that these bugs have caused us (they're all over the house) is my concern of how they will affect the plants, many of them we've have had for years.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I purchased a bag of Miracle-Gro Potting Soil from Lowe's that they had on sale Memorial Day for 1/2 off the second bag. After using it to plant a couple plants, I noticed the date on the bag was March 2017 and this is May, which to mean it was the expiration date. I returned to Lowe's to check out other bags with dates and they too had expiration dates like, March, April and May. I ask the salesperson about the date and he said "I don't know what the date means." So to make a long story short, I returned the unused portion to the store a couple of days later with my receipt. The cashier walks over to another employee who she makes a phone call and here come a couple of managers acting like I'm crazy for returning their defective product they sold because I had used a portion of it.

Talking about it was recently delivered and they come in daily to check on their products for expiration dates. I told him fine, I will go home and bring back the other portion I had used. The soil didn't even feel like Miracle-Gro usually feel. Anyway, I received my refund and I told them I was going to write a complaint about them knowingly selling outdated product and giving customer a hard time returning it. They knew all that last year soil was outdated and that's why they put it on sale. I went right on to Home Depot and their soil had future expiration dates. I WILL NEVER SHOP LOWE'S AGAIN, EVER!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

Replanted all my plants this year in Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and now I have a house full of Flying Gnats. Used the same soil to Transplant 2 Philos my mother left me after her Death 3 years ago. They were Beautiful. From using all the Different methods to rid them of these nasty Gnats they both Died. Have 2 Money Trees loaded with Gnats along with at least 15 Cactus. Called Scott's and they have the nerve to tell me to put out Apple Cider Vin. and dish soap. I've tried every trick in the book and I'm still watching these nasty Bugs taking over my home and plants. BE WARNED. MIRACLE-GRO POTTING SOIL WILL COST YOU MUCH MISERY AND EVERY PLANT YOU HAVE.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I purchased over $500 worth of Miracle-Gro raised bed soil to fill my raised beds. I used thick cardboard on the bottom of the beds to keep the soil pure. A week later I added my plants and found that the soil was infested with these white flies - which turned out to be fungus gnats, bugs that kill your plants. I was baffled because all my other beds with the soil from my local soil and compost had no problems - the Miracle-Gro was/is the reason! I spent 500 dollars on this soil, and $200 on the plants to fill it. And less than two weeks it's infested - I have been trying to rectify the situation to no avail. I called Lowe's and they told me to call Miracle-Gro directly to file a complaint. Still trying to figure out how to do so.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I purchased a large bag of Miracle-Gro to start my garden seeds in a month ago. I planted pepper, tomato, zucchini and several other vegetables in Styrofoam cups and various small starter vessels with the soil and the seeds. The following day I started feeling ill. It was like I had the flu so I called the Dr. with the symptoms and she felt the same so I took the normal flu meds. But this has gone on for over three weeks and I couldn't shake it. I was watering the plants this past Sat. and all of a sudden a big cloud of what looked to me like a very nasty chemical composition arose from the soil. I literally dropped my watering can and grabbed the planters and raced to the door and put them all on the porch as fast as I could. And here it is only 2 days later and I feel like a new woman. Has anyone else had any reaction to Miracle-gro like this? I really need to know. I really believe it was this soil mixture that had me down and almost out!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I first used this product 3 years ago. After repotting several houseplants I started to notice gnats in my apartment. It was during the summer so my first thought was they're coming from outside. By the time I was overwhelmed with gnats and realized that the gnats were actually coming from my plants, I had to throw all of them out. A year later after buying new plants and buying the same product to repot them, I ended up with the same problem. I would have NEVER suspected that a so called "trusted company" would continue to sell a terrible product. This December, foolish me, brought another bag. I inspected the bag of Miracle-Gro after opening it and discovered it had very little SOIL. Most of it was grinded down pieces of wood, I think, and twigs. And three weeks later, the same result. My fault for being trusting! NEVER AGAIN will I purchase any product from Miracle-Gro!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

I noticed that quite a number of people have complained about Miracle-Gro potting soil (with Gnats) & wanted to respond with some valuable information. A couple of years ago, after repotting several philodendrons & a Xmas Cactus with supposedly fresh Miracle-Gro potting mix, I began to notice a lot of what I thought, initially, were fruit flies in my home. When they migrated from the social areas into the bedrooms, guests began to complain about the possibility of dog fleas. It was winter.

After noticing them swimming in the water when I watered my plants, I went to a local nursery center and got lucky. I was able to completely eradicate the problem by spraying all my plants thoroughly with a product called Earth-tone Insect Control by Espoma for roses, flowers & vegetables, and sprinkling the granules of a product called Mosquito Bits by Summit over the soil. I never even had to repot & all of my plants are healthy and thriving today. I assure anyone with this problem, that this is the solution.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

FRUIT FLiES and EGGs a never ending amount since early 2014. They gave me a coupon for a free bag of dirt when I complained. 21/2 yrs later, tried everything. I seen the same complaint over and over. How do you get them to make it right? Repotted, fresh dirt, spray and spray, going to have to throw away a life's collection of plants, aloe, orchids, funeral plants. So frustrated.

Miracle-Gro Company Information