Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Miracle-Gro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

This soil has gone down hill for some reason. It contained large pieces of wood & clay in it. Cutting corners I expect, but at what cost. You're tarnishing your company's name. I think we'll switch brands next summer.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The first bag I bought had a large percentage of the weight attributed to rocks and most of the rest was wood. The second bag was about 90% wood shavings/chips. Almost no soil whatsoever. Garbage. Don't buy it.

Get buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I bought two 50qt bags of this at Costco about 2-3 months ago thinking I was getting a great deal since they were on sale for about $8/bag. I’ve used Miracle-Gro before but in the ground. This year I decided to do a lot of potted plants on my porch. I decided to use this brand since I’ve had great results before. This dirt is terrible. You would have better luck just digging dirt out of the ground to use than this junk! It stays too wet all the time. I had maybe 15 containers of flowers and I’m down to about 5 now because all the others have died due to root rot. I hardly watered my plants at all that are sitting in the full sun and it’s hot outside 90s but yet somehow after 1-2 weeks the dirt is magically still wet. I also should mention that I always bring my containers under shelter to keep them from being rained on so that I could control how much water they receive.

Anyway, I’ve conducted a couple experiments. One where I had a flat with about a 1 inch layer of this potting soil in it. Also, I left the bag open on purpose and after 2 weeks both were still soggy wet despite no water being added to them. This causes tremendous root rot and loss of oxygen to plants roots and kills them. I’ll never buy Miracle-Gro products again. I’ve switched my growing medium to peat moss, black kow, and perlite, and I’ve switched all my fertilizers to Ferti-Lome. Now I understand why I’ve heard such bad things about miracle gro products from avid gardeners. You live and learn!

Original review: June 30, 2020

I purchased 11 bags of the raised bed soil to fill two beds. All my green beans, lettuce, and tomatoes have died from a fungus in the soil. Plants from the same packet if seeds are thriving in different soil.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I bought this soil from Costco, excited about getting organic soil at an inexpensive price (approx. $9). I got it home and immediately found half a shoelace in it. It was brown but still had part of the plastic tip. Fast forward to the next three days... I found about a dozen pieces of plastic... ranging from the type used in disposable grocery bags to hard blue plastic used for who knows what. Not sure how they define organic, but I wouldn’t say anything with a quarter lb or trash in it should get that title. It was gross.

Original review: June 2, 2020

So disappointed with this soul. Spent $9 a bag only to Rio the first bag open to have some gnats come out. I didn’t think anything of it and continued to open up the moldy smelling bags with more small gnats. In a few hours there was thousands of the gnats (aphids) eating through my vegetables. It’s been 17 hours since and I tried spraying organic aphid repellent last night and it’s gotten so bad all my plants are destroyed. I’m so distraught and out hundreds of dollars.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I transplanted three large plants using this product and here I am two months later, and I only have one plant left. I have treated the soil with nematodes and put hundreds of dollars into trying to eradicate these pests!! I'm beyond pissed that this company sells a product that's so infested with a troublesome pest to get rid of. They are literally everywhere in my house. They are so thick in the room with my last house plant my mother gave me years ago, that I can hardly stand to be in that room. I don't know what to do other than toss a plant that I've had for years. I have emailed the company and received no response.

Three bags costing around $21 has turned into hundreds of dollars wasted trying to make this nightmare go away!! Not to mention having to clean up the thousands upon thousands of these things all over the house. I will never buy another product from them ever again!! I hope their business tanks for the crap they are pulling!! Worst experience EVER!!!

Original review: May 31, 2020

Brought several 1.5 cu. ft. bags of the Garden Soil from our local Home Depot.... When I say garbage that is exactly what I mean. Plastic, Glass, etc... You name it it was in there, they are selling us straight up crap. We know you don't care as long as the money keeps flowing in, but you did lose a customer here, be proud of yourselves. You got me for the last $100 I'll ever give to your company.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I purchased 3 bags (2cu ft) Miracle-Gro ‘Garden Soil All Purpose For In Ground Use’ at just about $9.00 a bag at Home Depot. As I used the first bag I found a plastic filter to a cigar. As I used the second bag I found shreds of an aluminum can. I haven’t finished that bag or opened the third bag because I counted on this name brand to be quality and am rather disappointed. I wasn’t expecting to have to sort through bagged soil to pull out someone’s garbage.

Original review: April 30, 2020

First bag I opened had COCKROACHES. I tossed it. Second bag slowly killed my African Violets. I couldn't figure out why they were suffering, as I was watering diligently and routinely repotting when they previously were so happy and constantly blooming. Gnats started appearing and I thought, maybe it's from the roses I bought from Trader Joe's. But the problem followed me each time I moved. I realized the problems started after I ran out of my old specialty potting mix I purchased from the African Violet Club back when I lived in Florida and started this one. I lost half of my plants. I'm so sad. Most of them (except two, and I had forty plants total) I started from leaf and took over a year to get them to fully flourishing and flowering.

Miracle-Gro Company Information