1.21/5
Based on 164 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Last updated: May 13, 2018

175 Miracle-Gro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2018

Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss. Unopened bag purchased last year at Walmart. TOXIC SMELLING, I worked it in pots. Toxic funny taste in mouth. Now it got hands, I cannot believe how strong this odor is. Smells like petroleum oil.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had an Australian tree fern (bought for $185) and a dieffenbachia among other plants in my house. I decided to repot those two. My plants were healthy up until the week I repotted them. My tree fern is completely dead now and my dieffenbachia is yellowing and dying. I noticed green mold on every area where the Miracle-Gro was around the original soil and now there are little bugs that come out of there while I'm watching TV; they crawl around out of there. You killed my precious plants Miracle-Gro. If you love your plants, don't take a chance with this cheap Miracle crap, I should have known that you get what you pay for. I've used cheap soils in the past but this was a stunner. BTW, when I pulled out my fern, the roots had not progressed into the Miracle-Gro soil; it seemed they got burned and killed every time they tried to expand into the new soil.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2018

For 25+ years I have used Miracle-Gro potting mix up till the last 3 years. It is so deceiving especially your commercial on TV. The first 25 years your mix was just what is portrayed when the person is running their hands through it. It was AWESOME. The last 3 or more years it is mostly bark mulch and coir. There is no good soil in it whatsoever. Don't get me wrong but the other brands are not much better. But the fact that the commercial shows nothing like you package now and the commercial was on last night. Your prices have not fallen, our plants die and we lose not you. I tell everyone I see purchasing it to think twice. If you want bark mulch buy bark mulch. If you want better and your plants to live don't buy Miracle-Gro.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Miracle Gro potting soil - Should be called not so miracle die! Plants I've had for 40 yrs and more are dying. They have no roots. They keep getting bugs, parasites, and the not so soil never dries out even in direct sun, I have to keep taking plants out, shaking off "not so" and spreading it out soil to dry. I have lost many beloved plants inclusive Aunt Nonie a 125 year out Christmas Cactus. We should be able to sue them! Seriously, some recourse please. I cried about my old cactus which was moms and before that her Aunt Nonie hence the name. Please help us.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Miracle-Gro potting soil has “fungus gnats” they don’t tell you about. So if you pot or repot your indoor plants with it you’ll have bugs flying all over your home. Check out other reviews - it’s the worst soil - unless you want bugs. I suppose you could put it in glass containers with stretch wrap over it and microwave it for a few minutes to kill the bugs first. I do wonder why Miracle-Gro doesn’t kill the bugs before selling their product. Disgusting. What about a class action lawsuit?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Miracle-Gro?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I recently purchase one bag of Miracle-Gro Cactus Soil and one bag of regular Miracle-Gro Plant Soil for indoor use. That is all the kind they had at my local store. I have a lot of plants and don't re-pot my plants unnecessarily. I had opened the bag of cactus soil and the smell was unbelievable, smelled like something was rotten within the bag. Even my husband couldn't believe it threw that bag away. The regular soil bag didn't smell and appeared to be normal color and texture so I repotted some of my plants with that one. Guess what white fungus all over the soil, scraped it off and now it's back worse than ever. I am going to go buy more soil not Miracle-Gro brand and re-pot all over again. I am a master gardener with many years experience and I will never use or recommend this brand to anyone. Obviously they only care about selling substandard products to people.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My friend got me a large indoor plant 3 weeks ago for my birthday. We got it from Lowe's and being a bit of a dork, I have been very excited. We bought Miracle Grow to fill the cute barrel pot we got and I have been keeping an eye on the plant. Today I went to check the soil to see if it was too dry and the whole thing was filled with tiny little ants (There are no other infestations in the house). I quickly brought the whole plant downstairs and placed it on the porch. Upon closer inspection, not only were there ants but due to the movement, CENTIPEDES came crawling to the surface of the soil. Blegh. There is NO way that those critters could have been from anywhere but the Miracle Grow. Going to try some non toxic insecticides and repotting it into nicer soil. Hopefully it can be saved. Get your shiz together Miracle Grow.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I recently moved to a new mobile home park and since I was starting with a new yard, decided to grow my plants in pots this year, since did not trust the native soil. I used a new very large pot and planted a very healthy tomato plant that I had growing from another pot. Used new soil from a bag of Miracle Gro potting soil I had recently bought at the local K Mart store.

When I was done planting it, I gave it a good watering and as plants in pots or tubs do it began to spill water from the bottom and this water was an ugly black oily looking water. That I could not understand, but the next day my plant was wilted and 2 days later it was dead. The only thing in that planter was the new soil from the new bag of Scotts Miracle Gro potting soil from K Mart. Threw out the soil and dead plant, scrubbed the pot with soap and water and started over again. Filled the pot with clean soil from miracle potting bag from K Mart again and planted another plant. Making sure that was the only things in the pot.

Same results, black to brown dirty oily looking water came out the bottom. I had topped off some of my potted plants that were already planted in other brands of soil I had bought from Home Depot, before I had any idea the Miracle Gro potting soil could be the problem and now they too were draining from the bottom with ugly brown/black oily looking water. There is no way I will ever buy any more of the Scotts company products again. I can see the results of how their soil is made by what happened to my plants. My own personal experiences tell me, not to bother returning a product that does not stand up to their previous reputation. I would rather lose plants to bugs than grow fruits and vegetable in contaminated soil. I am done and will go elsewhere for better than that.

Original review: July 6, 2017

My friend and I bought MG Organic Potting Soil from Home-Depot. I transplanted a few flowers from reg. soil to organic potting soil. In about an hour my skin started burning. I took a shower, but it seemed to do nothing for the burning, I was feeling. 3 showers later still the same. A few days later l ask my friend to help me. He had no clue what to do. The things we done to get whatever was on my skin off. I cried the pain, I was and still in (11 yrs) I've been dealing with.

This stuff all over my body has taken over my life. Once I figured out it was the soil, I called Scott's to ask if they could give me answers. They sent a lawyer. But not to help me, but only protect Scott's. I pray to God to just let me fall asleep n not awake. I've not dated anyone in 8 yrs. Try explaining this to someone, they think I should be in a rubber room. My dear friend has spent so much money trying to help me. Most of all he's been by my side for years. Even if he thought I were nuts. Now I'm able to have others that deal with the same crazy stuff MG. soil has caused us.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Bought several bags of Miracle-Gro soil. Went home cut the bags open and started spreading the soil and noticed little white bugs. Looked closer because they were moving. The Miracle-Gro was infested with TERMITES!!! I immediately ran inside my house and got a gallon jug of pesticide and saturated the Miracle-Gro. I just hope I got them all before they could get into the ground. I got onto Miracle-Gro's website and told them what happened. That was a month ago... Haven't heard a word from them. MIRACLE-GRO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR INFESTING PEOPLES PROPERTY AND HOMES WITH TERMITES. Today I notified Wal-Mart that they were selling termite infested soil to the public. I felt that I was just brushed off by the management. All they had to do was go break a bag open and they would see for themselves. I thought maybe they might be able to make an impact on the Miracle-Gro Company and send their complete shipment back.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Purchased 2 bags and used it to repot indoor plants. In a matter of 2-3 weeks- tiny bugs started appearing from the plants and traced them from the soil. I have put in a call to the store where I purchased them from, which is willing to reimburse me for the purchased price. That is just but right, but now other than the great nuisance that these bugs have caused us (they're all over the house) is my concern of how they will affect the plants, many of them we've have had for years.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I purchased a bag of Miracle-Gro Potting Soil from Lowe's that they had on sale Memorial Day for 1/2 off the second bag. After using it to plant a couple plants, I noticed the date on the bag was March 2017 and this is May, which to mean it was the expiration date. I returned to Lowe's to check out other bags with dates and they too had expiration dates like, March, April and May. I ask the salesperson about the date and he said "I don't know what the date means." So to make a long story short, I returned the unused portion to the store a couple of days later with my receipt. The cashier walks over to another employee who she makes a phone call and here come a couple of managers acting like I'm crazy for returning their defective product they sold because I had used a portion of it.

Talking about it was recently delivered and they come in daily to check on their products for expiration dates. I told him fine, I will go home and bring back the other portion I had used. The soil didn't even feel like Miracle-Gro usually feel. Anyway, I received my refund and I told them I was going to write a complaint about them knowingly selling outdated product and giving customer a hard time returning it. They knew all that last year soil was outdated and that's why they put it on sale. I went right on to Home Depot and their soil had future expiration dates. I WILL NEVER SHOP LOWE'S AGAIN, EVER!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

Replanted all my plants this year in Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and now I have a house full of Flying Gnats. Used the same soil to Transplant 2 Philos my mother left me after her Death 3 years ago. They were Beautiful. From using all the Different methods to rid them of these nasty Gnats they both Died. Have 2 Money Trees loaded with Gnats along with at least 15 Cactus. Called Scott's and they have the nerve to tell me to put out Apple Cider Vin. and dish soap. I've tried every trick in the book and I'm still watching these nasty Bugs taking over my home and plants. BE WARNED. MIRACLE-GRO POTTING SOIL WILL COST YOU MUCH MISERY AND EVERY PLANT YOU HAVE.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I purchased over $500 worth of Miracle-Gro raised bed soil to fill my raised beds. I used thick cardboard on the bottom of the beds to keep the soil pure. A week later I added my plants and found that the soil was infested with these white flies - which turned out to be fungus gnats, bugs that kill your plants. I was baffled because all my other beds with the soil from my local soil and compost had no problems - the Miracle-Gro was/is the reason! I spent 500 dollars on this soil, and $200 on the plants to fill it. And less than two weeks it's infested - I have been trying to rectify the situation to no avail. I called Lowe's and they told me to call Miracle-Gro directly to file a complaint. Still trying to figure out how to do so.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I purchased a large bag of Miracle-Gro to start my garden seeds in a month ago. I planted pepper, tomato, zucchini and several other vegetables in Styrofoam cups and various small starter vessels with the soil and the seeds. The following day I started feeling ill. It was like I had the flu so I called the Dr. with the symptoms and she felt the same so I took the normal flu meds. But this has gone on for over three weeks and I couldn't shake it. I was watering the plants this past Sat. and all of a sudden a big cloud of what looked to me like a very nasty chemical composition arose from the soil. I literally dropped my watering can and grabbed the planters and raced to the door and put them all on the porch as fast as I could. And here it is only 2 days later and I feel like a new woman. Has anyone else had any reaction to Miracle-gro like this? I really need to know. I really believe it was this soil mixture that had me down and almost out!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I first used this product 3 years ago. After repotting several houseplants I started to notice gnats in my apartment. It was during the summer so my first thought was they're coming from outside. By the time I was overwhelmed with gnats and realized that the gnats were actually coming from my plants, I had to throw all of them out. A year later after buying new plants and buying the same product to repot them, I ended up with the same problem. I would have NEVER suspected that a so called "trusted company" would continue to sell a terrible product. This December, foolish me, brought another bag. I inspected the bag of Miracle-Gro after opening it and discovered it had very little SOIL. Most of it was grinded down pieces of wood, I think, and twigs. And three weeks later, the same result. My fault for being trusting! NEVER AGAIN will I purchase any product from Miracle-Gro!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

I noticed that quite a number of people have complained about Miracle-Gro potting soil (with Gnats) & wanted to respond with some valuable information. A couple of years ago, after repotting several philodendrons & a Xmas Cactus with supposedly fresh Miracle-Gro potting mix, I began to notice a lot of what I thought, initially, were fruit flies in my home. When they migrated from the social areas into the bedrooms, guests began to complain about the possibility of dog fleas. It was winter.

After noticing them swimming in the water when I watered my plants, I went to a local nursery center and got lucky. I was able to completely eradicate the problem by spraying all my plants thoroughly with a product called Earth-tone Insect Control by Espoma for roses, flowers & vegetables, and sprinkling the granules of a product called Mosquito Bits by Summit over the soil. I never even had to repot & all of my plants are healthy and thriving today. I assure anyone with this problem, that this is the solution.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

FRUIT FLiES and EGGs a never ending amount since early 2014. They gave me a coupon for a free bag of dirt when I complained. 21/2 yrs later, tried everything. I seen the same complaint over and over. How do you get them to make it right? Repotted, fresh dirt, spray and spray, going to have to throw away a life's collection of plants, aloe, orchids, funeral plants. So frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

In July of 2015 while replanting house plants, I reached into a new bag of Miracle-Gro and was stuck by a filthy dirty hypodermic needle. I called Miracle-Gro's hotline and was instructed to get medical attention asap. I did. Blood was taken and shots were given, a process I was to continue over the next 3 months to make sure I had not contracted AIDS and or Hepatitis. Miracle-Gro sent me a letter stating this was not out of the norm for them, to fill out the paper work and submit my medical bills when all was done. I sent all certified receipt. Nothing. I called the insurance company Vericlaim, specifically Matt ** leaving numerous messages. No response.

I logged onto Miracle-Gro's site and conducted a live chat with Miracle-Gro, shared my situation and was told I could not be helped and had to contact Vericlaim. I told her no one will respond to me there. Brick wall. I am deathly afraid of needles, so I am surmising my experience may have been a bit more traumatic than the average person poked. Then to be subjected to the monthly tests and on top of that being ignored by the company who should have stepped up and paid my medical bills as they said they would and at least apologized for the great scare and inconvenience. Nope. I suppose big corporations are absolved of decency, honesty and humanity. My File #: **. I have the original receipt of the Miracle-Gro. I have pictures of the needle, the bag itself all my paperwork...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

We have used Miracle-Gro for 25+ years and have always had great success with our potted plants and vegetables. Walmart was selling the giant sacks of potting soil in the early spring and we stocked up. Our sprouts were limp, but we blamed the seeds. Some reached a semi-decent height however the leaves wrinkled and turned brown. The soil had bugs, little snails, and MUSHROOMS were growing around the base of the plants. Taking a handful of soil under a bright light it was like a PBS special with creepies. We are done with Miracle-Gro after reading that we were not the only ones.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I bought 30 of Miracle-Gro pods that you just put into the ground and water. I did this in the spring and nothing came up. So I tried to put Miracle-Gro dirt around the plants to see if they needed any more nutrients. Still nothing. I figured that maybe give it some time and it would grow but still nothing. I contacted Miracle Gro and they told me they couldn't help me because it's past 90 days. WTH! I told them they have on the package that it's guaranteed to grow and they don't back it???? The rep said he was sorry but there was nothing that they can do. I would never recommend this product at all. I am now out of money, and product that I wanted to grow for my family to eat in the winter. I am so upset about this.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

August 1st I repotted 9 orchids maybe more using the Orchid mix coarse blend. Today I went to the green house and the orchids leaves were turning yellow with rotting roots. This mix does not drain. The bag says it does but that isn't true. I have used Miracle-Gro most of my adult life. 5 years ago I was growing different plants when I found bugs in the bags of Miracle-Gro. I hope I can save my orchids.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I was fairly shocked when a day after using Miracle-Gro potting soil, I broke out with poison ivy. I had worked every day for a month in my mother's Southern California yard without any problems. On my final day there, I transplanted a potted palm that had severely outgrown its pot. I purchased Miracle-Gro soil from Home Depot in Ontario, CA and used it all to transplant the palm. I was bewildered to discover a day later that I was breaking out with poison ivy. The soil was the ONLY possible source since poison ivy is not native to Southern California and I had worked in the yard for a month straight without any skin problems. When I looked at this website and found others who had experienced the same problem, I felt validated in my conclusion.

Unfortunately, I have severe reactions to poison ivy and have to end up going to a doc for ** treatment. This is irritating since I don't do well on ** and costly since I don't have money to throw away unnecessarily. Most irritating, though, is the fact that this company is so intent on making a buck that they have absolutely no pride in their product! I have read other reviews from customers who have experienced gnats, spider mites, mold, the list goes on. I cannot change the fact that I contracted poison ivy from this product. What I can, and will, change, however, is to never purchase Miracle-Gro soil again. Period. I cannot afford to give them a second chance. And after reading the reviews from other users, I have no desire to.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I have kept a basil plant on my window for decades. I usually keep it 2, 3 years than change it out because it gets "woody". I started buying Miracle-Gro soil at Home Depot least year when I moved close to one. Gnats killed my plant. This year started all new, clean sterilized pot, new plants, new Miracle-Gro. Gnats again. In trying to fight these gnats I looked online. I was shocked to see how many others had similar problems with this product. It's all Home Depot carries, so I called around to find who has other soil. One larger garden supply store told me that problem is why they do not carry Miracle-Gro. Wish I'd read reviews before but I assumed a sealed bag was clean. Returning unopened Miracle-Gro bags I still have, and hoping I can go elsewhere and get another brand and get new Basil started before end of summer.

Original review: July 25, 2016

I repotted a plant with my new Miracle-Gro Potting Mix several days ago and now have Poison Oak or Ivy all over my face. It was very hot out and I kept wiping sweat from my face. It is terrible. I never knew that it was even a possibility or I would have worn gloves and had been sure not to touch my face. I will be miserable for weeks now thanks to Miracle-Gro.

Original review: June 29, 2016

Dead herbs - I had no idea that it could be the soil. I plant every year with no problem. This year I decided to go with the Miracle-Gro. I've lost my basil and my mint isn't doing well at all. I now know where all those little gnats are coming from. I'm absolutely disgusted. Never again.

Original review: June 29, 2016

Last summer I purchased 2 bags of Scotts Potting Soil and the Blue Granules. There is bark all through the soil and some type of insect in a round amber colored blister-like ball. The first time I planted this year with a bag that had not been opened yet I got some kind of white insect that was powdery and a bluish gray mold on top of all of my plants. I had one plant that was growing wild outside in my garden so I repotted it and brought it inside. I did not water it as it had rained so much here in Arkansas that the soil was too wet so I waited. I then mixed the blue granules with water as I have for thirty years and watered the plant. Within minutes it wilted and the next morning some of the leaves were browned and crisp and the cardboard box I had it sitting on was molded. I thought maybe I had over watered it so I thought nothing of it and went ahead and planted my organic seeds that cost me $3.00 per pack to start my herb garden.

Within days they shot up and looked really good and then I woke up to find my sage completely dead and I mean completely and my chives had one blade and never ever got another one. The soil was wet as if someone had poured water in it. Now I have been finding the rest of my plants getting leaf curl and turning brown so I inspected them for aphids and found small amber colored insect balls all through the soil. I am very upset!!! I want my money back and I will never ever buy Scotts Miracle-Gro again just like I will never ever shop at Walmart again. I expect to be reimbursed. I do not have the receipt anymore. I never thought I would need it since it was from Scotts whom I expected the best from and have never had a problem with before. I rate the experience as BAD but your stars will not let me put in any red star so I had to click the yellow one. BAD EXPERIENCE.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I just went into our greenhouse to repot several plants. I started scooping MG potting soil from the newly opened bag into pots and noticed hundreds - if not thousands - of tiny bugs all through it. This is my 3rd or 4th bag of MG I have purchased at Sam's Club. Never had problems with MG products before. Worried that there were eggs in the other bags I have already gone through. Not sure what to do. I actually just bought another bag at Sam's Club last week. Guess I'll open it up and see if it's infested as well.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I have been using Miracle-Gro soils for 20 years with no problem, trusted that soil more than other soils in market. My problem started in early 2015, when one of my plants broke and I tried to transplant that into several small pots for new plant. I got two bags of potting soil. After while my house was full of fruit flies. Read the reviews and Miracle-Gro had said the bag probably was torn or had holes when I bought it. I throw out the soil, washed all the roots and pots and got new soil, it happened again. Now all my plants in the house which are over 80 of them (small and big tree sizes (which is impossible for me to move them)) have fruit flies. I have tried everything on them and spend so much money on the yellow sticky stickers, but still struggling.

I am very mad, very very mad. Please do not purchase this product until they fix it. I just bought two more bags two months ago and still is the same story... I would give (-5) rating for the review if there was an option. You see how frustrated I am... I don't think I kept the receipt from two months ago. I had so much faith in Miracle-Gro that I thought the 2015 was just an accident and maybe the bag had holes when I bought it. I also noticed all the bags in 2016 has small factory holes and soil was very wet and heavy which was weird but I thought they may always had those and I had not noticed. I used the soil and still struggling with this problem.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I bought a brand new, large, sealed bag of this soil. When I opened the bag it was loaded with hundreds of medium size black ants with brown abdomens. This is unacceptable. I contacted the website for this product and was told they needed the last 5 digits of the barcode (**). I appreciate any help.

Miracle-Gro Company Information