Michigan Bulb Company

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I emailed customer service about a dead blackberry bush three weeks ago and still have not heard a word from them. Will definitely unsubscribe from any further emails from this company. They have no customer service.

I ordered 17 blue festuca grass. It did take a while to get them and shipment like other reviews got pushed out which may have been the problem because all but one of the plants died and it's dying. They sent 5 replacements and those too died. I contacted Customer Service via email and they responded within 24 hours and refunded me within 2 days as promised. While I'm not sold on buying future plants online I am sold on the customer service treatment that I personally received from Michigan Bulb. Sorry others didn't have the same experience because the way I was treated is how it should be. I was one of the fortunate ones. Thank you Michigan Bulb!

I have been ordering from this company for many years. Some of the orders do arrive unsightly. Although, if you plant them properly, 95%+ will grow to be exactly what you want. I have always been satisfied with what I received. If you research what you are ordering, you won't be disappointed. If you want full grown plants, I suggest you purchase elsewhere. And you will pay much more money for those. Give these small wilted roots a chance. And remember they are in a dormant state when you get them. I give Michigan Bulb Company an A+.

Received the bulbs, after an almost three week wait, planted the next day. 17 days later still no sign of life and some were planted in a container. Spoke with them today on a "chat". Was told, they won't bloom this year, will be next year. Boy should have bought local. I have bought bulbs locally before and they come up beautifully, not many blooms first year, but you see a result. They have at this point agreed finally to a refund, we shall see, but somehow I am not very hopeful. Do yourself a favor, buy local. You get healthy bulbs and see results with them the first year. Better to pay a little more as, true to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I ordered 3 packages of giant lilies in Feb. and planted them in March right after they arrived. Of the 9 bulbs I received not one came up. Upon calling Michigan Bulb Co. I requested a refund and was told it would be charged back to my PayPal account. I do not have a PayPal account. I informed them of this and they stated that their records showed that I did so the refund would go there even I still do not have a PayPal account and have never had a PayPal account. Sounds to me like it is just a way to not honor their warranty. I will never do business with Michigan Bulb Company again and will not recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michigan Bulb Company?

I purchased a number of different items that were poorly packaged, some were rotting. The roses that I ordered were not dormant, they had dark green leaves on a twig that when touched they fell off. They looked sickly. The only plants that looked promising were the burning bushes. I don't know if the plants had too much water or what. When purchasing bare root plant that are dormant. Just about anyone can propagate a stick. Needless to say I will not be purchasing anything from this company again.

I purchased 2 items from them on 3/26/17 and I received them a couple of days ago. With shipping charges of $9.95 it was a total of $25.33. I have never been scammed by a plant nursery before. I am attaching the shriveled things which cannot be called plants and to justify the shipping charges for $9.95 these things that measure 1" each was sent in a huge box. I don't want to return these things at my own expense and get a merchant credit. I will dispute the charges with my credit card. With so many complaints why is it still in business? I should have checked the reviews before placing my order.

I placed an order & was sent an e-mail that I would receive my shipment by March 18th, I checked website after the 18th and it NOW said I would receive my shipment by March 23rd. After the 23rd. I checked website and said my shipment would arrive by April 3rd. I called, and got a runaround. I was put on hold and he put a rush on the shipment and he told me I would receive the order by the 3rd. I checked today, March 28th on the website and NOW it says I will receive order by April 5th, so much for RUSH SHIPMENT. I called today and got another runaround. Once I receive my order, If I ever do, I will NEVER purchase from them again. I already stopped e-mails from them. Their e-mails in SPAM!!

I have had very frustrating issues with this company and its "Customer Service" and today someone named 'Julia' claiming to be from the billing dept. Once again treating me in a very hostile and arbitrary manner and basically determined to be the HITLER of this entity overriding 2 supervisors whom I thought had some worth about how to treat consumers!

A few years ago we experienced an extremely cold winter here on Cape Cod where many of my pricey flowers didn't come back and supposedly are guaranteed to grow or they will be reshipped or credits given etc. A few items were reshipped having barely a thread of a root and didn't take. For 2 years straight I was sent letters telling me their products weren't a good fit for me simultaneously getting postcards apologizing for not sending what I ordered or due to their being out of stock and was sent credits for my not receiving items. And in between all this nonsense I did order flowers and I did get them and they do grow!

This year I foolishly thought someone there actually valued customers concerns. (Was I wrong!) This month another supervisor (Jane **) spoke with me at length going thru all my issues and back orders etc. after a previous Supervisor (Kathy **) had left working there. And I finally put thru 2 orders of flowers using the credits that she had given me and had said that everything was now on track and then this week I got yet another letter canceling my orders!

This company has cost many folks several growing seasons with their bizarre rhetoric and feel that they are so perfect that they RULE and others should just keep paying them but expect neither their continued "striving to be the best" or their guarantees as stated. Like so many others I have read here when you buy online on their site and go by the stated prices that supposedly are on sale; the minute you click to pay for the order the prices jump to the previous price and when you call the customer rep. doesn't see anything that is on the screen.

I am a very dedicated gardener with a beautiful garden that is my pride and joy and dealing with these morons who clearly are less than honest no matter who you speak with and refuse to accept anything except what they dictate is unrealistic in this world. They are far from perfect and neither is the weather or its complications but for sure when one spends thousands of dollars with this company and they take the stand that they are right when they are not, is unacceptable. Since they are so defiant and unwilling to honor the very orders that were confirmed and cost me yet another growing season, I want some very explicit sanctions put against them... and having certain employees fired for their bizarre communications! They deserve as much negative feedback as possible; not for the flowers, but for the conflicting and negative manner their employees treat people!

Clicked into the website from a targeted email offering me $5.99 shipping in addition to the 50% off sale (expiring 4/7/17). The discounted prices showed on the website and in the cart. I checked out using my PayPal account and a millisecond after I submitted the payment, the price doubled! I immediately called to cancel my order. The outsourced customer service agent told me she processed the refund. I never received a confirmation of the refund.

The next day, I called reiterating the cancellation request. The Indian CS rep said he needed to review my order. After a few minutes, he said it's been canceled and the refund should already be in my PayPal account; insisting that these processes are automated. No refund was received. I asked for a supervisor. I was on hold for a couple minutes and a rep (who sounded identical to the previous one) answered stating that he was a supervisor and that I will receive the confirmation email in 24-48 hours and my refund in 3-5 business days. A refund should automatically generate an email showing the latest status of the order. Deceptive practices by showing misleading prices. This is a sham.

I placed an order online with Michigan Bulb. I purchased some items that were on sale. I looked at the prices at the initial screen and they were correct. My total was approximately $31.00 including tax and shipping. I went to the submit screen and hit submit. Wrong move on my part. All of the prices were changed and I was charged double! $63.00! I have called and cancelled my order and will update if there is an issue with returning my money. Bait and switch tactics!

Ordered plants in June. Was to deliver in Sept. Had several orders. Got two roses that had not been watered since the Civil War. Picture showed big roses got a stub of one two inches high. Other plants on order some they say they shipped last month. Bull. Terrible business. All talk no action.

I moved and needed to start my garden at square one, thus the the large diverse order. I have been gardening for 20+ years and have a talent for growing things in the roughest areas. I give this background information only to explain my disgust when spring turn to summer and I am watering and weeding to be rewarded with... two crocus and a daffodil. Yes, the company did return my money; however, I lost a whole season of establishing a garden. That is one more year I have to wait for my new home to truly feel like home.

I ordered 3 plants on May 30, 2016. I received a confirmation email stating that my plants would be delivered between June 2 and June 7. I waited for my shipment email which didn't come until after June 7. Contacted the company to find out if there was an issue and they said it would be 2 -3 weeks. Ugh. Ok. Totally wouldn't have ordered if I'd known I'd have to wait that long. Waited a few more days and two of the 3 plants were sent to me. I received them. They were a lot smaller than I had thought they would be. One of the two looked almost dead. Planted both. One seems ok... Only time will tell for the other. Now, third plant shipped finally on June 17th.

I don't know if the entire country is have high 90s this week and last... My third plant was delivered today. June 23. I will be really surprised if this one survives. The leaves all look burnt. There was soil all over the box and I really don't think it's gonna survive. :( I WISH I would have checked reviews before ordering from this company. I would have and should have shopped Local. My tight budget forced me to look for the sale. Live and learn. Shop local and research reviews... Lesson learned.

Plants were sent too early for upstate NY but according to instructions I planted them and 50% have died. Last year when I called about this I was told give them some more time and if they don't come up call back. So this year I gave them more time and the response is "We have a 30 days guarantee this year, you should have called earlier." Ridiculous and I will never buy from Michigan Bulb again though I have numerous times in the past.

I am SO sorry I did not check reviews first! They completely ignore instructions. They shipped my first order when the ground was still frozen, despite clear instructions. Second order sent via wrong shipper despite clear instructions and was returned to them. Third order was being sent to address in wrong state, according to the email I received, though first two orders were sent to correct address (go figure). Customer service said that even though the confirmation email was to wrong address, that was wrong and they were planning to send it to the address on record.

I just found out today they are not shipping replacement order for #1 until the end of month when it is too HOT to plant perennials, so I had to cancel that replacement order along with the new order they were sending to wrong address. In 18 years with perennial gardening being my #1 hobby/relaxation activity and what I wait for all winter, I have NEVER had such a bad experience with an internet supplier (I use internet nurseries almost exclusively). If there were a zero, that's what I would give them! And oh yes, the plants I did receive were feeble.

Just had to let you know that I am unsatisfied with my order. NOT one of the liriope sprouted or grew. It was a waste of money. Don't know if I will ever order from Michigan Bulb Co. again!

Last July I ordered specific day lilies and was excited to get them. It was until they bloomed I found they weren't the ones I ordered. The company will only give you a replacement certificate...not a refund. I have a replacement certificate that I wanted to use this year and have attempted to use it but, customer service said I have to pay for the order...then call and they will apply the replacement certificate. They held on for many minutes while I searched for a "replacement certificate" button which I never found and they could not point me to.

I refuse to pay for an order on my credit card that they owe me due to their obviously knowingly sending me the wrong bulb knowing they would not refund my original money. I have gotten nowhere and still can not get my money back. It is only $20 or so but, that is not the point. Very poor customer service and this company obviously does not take pride in their business or care about their customers. Don't even think about doing business with them. Who knows what will come in the mail!

I wish I had read these reviews before I ordered. I placed an order on 5/1/16, today is only 5/6/16. I received a "confirmation" email on 6/1. But I have received numerous "sales" emails DAILY from Michigan Bulb. When I emailed them about this their response was, "If you don't want to receive these emails you may remove your email from our list, but then you won't know when your order ships." I'm going to "think positive" and wait it out. Meanwhile, I will trash all of the 'sales' emails. Ugh.

I placed two orders one on 4/3/16, 2 Blue Passion Flowers, Hens & Chicks, Hosta Mix Super Bag, Mix Cora Bells and on 4/4/16 (2 Blue Passion Flowers, 2 Purple Passion Flowers). The 4/4 items came in first as a partial order on 4/26/16. When I inquired about the remaining order, (the same day as delivered 4/26) I was told over the phone, 3-5 more days to complete and deliver both orders. The reason for the delay was they had a hard freeze and it held up shipping. Okay, no problem.

So today 5/2/16 I'm told it didn't get mailed out because Michigan Bulb did not have the correct zip code?!! I did mention about the partial order received and how could that happen!? After asking for a supervisor, the response was the Michigan Bulb Manager would call me back. Nothing was out of stock when I order both days. Our springtime is almost over. Michigan Bulb "added" delivery dates as follows: PURPLE PASSION FLOWER - Delivery Estimate: 06/12/16 - 06/12/16 (Keep in mind - this was ordered 4/4), BLUE PASSION FLOWER - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1 (These four items ordered 4/3), 69113 COBWEB HENS & CHICKS - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1, 04981 HOSTA MIX SUPER BAG - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1, 63006 MIXED CORAL BELLS - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 2 - I was sent an email to confirm my orders and guess what, it had my correct zip code.

My first mistake was placing 2 orders, a couple of days apart. Shipping was slow for the first order and the items were very small for the price, 4 inch for a vine. Should of went to the local plant stores. The 2nd order still has not been shipped and they have changed the shipping dates numerous times. 19 days and still nothing. My advice, buy local and avoid them!

I have been a customer of Michigan Bulb, Dutch Bulb, & Spring Hill Nursery which are all the same company for over 20 years. I moved to a new house & purchased a few plants from them. A few of them arrived dead & they had to replace. They kicked me out of their customer base & won't allow me to buy any more of their products stating that "our products don't work for you." They clearly blame their POOR quality plants on their customers. It could NEVER be their fault. Please save your money & buy elsewhere. Do NOT buy from them. They will take your money, blame you for their poor quality work, & then kick you out of the their service. I am also filing a complaint with the BBB & the State Attorney General's Office

I have placed an order on 02/15/2016. AND, still waiting 04/01/16. I contacted the representatives 3 times, because the delivery date constantly changing. They have not done anything so far to help. Just "we're Sorry for the delay". If I have read the reviews before, I would never order from them. Now I consider to cancel my order. Do not buy, do not buy from them.

Everyone needs to know this, Michigan Bulb Company, Direct gardening, Dutch bulbs and most other online and catalogs all are the same company. Note that all orders placed with these company's all go to the same nursery. This is why most people receive bulbs with fungus that can spread to your other plants. Most trees they say are dormant aren't dormant at all. They are dried in the stalk and most likely the root system is too past gone to grow. These trees are kept in a huge refrigerated storage, And can be two or three years in this storage. Trees can not stay dormant that long it kills them.

As for the bulbs, you are receiving 2nds, most bulbs from this nursery are sold to other nurseries that sell direct to gardeners in their local area, these nursery's will not would not accept the things that we buy from MB and these other online sites. MB is NOT a nursery, they are simply an between man, they sell plants, nothing more. Forget the guarantee they offer as it is a hoax and you most likely will never hear from them, esp if you only complain to them once.

I have dealt with MB for years. Sometimes I get good bulbs and never got a viable tree from them. I still buy bulbs from them, but once I receive the bulbs they get treated and planted in a spot in my yard away from all other plants. They stay there until I am sure that I have killed all fungus and root rot. MB and direct gardening are two of the worse at selling plants with active fungus and root rot. Root rot and fungus can be dealt with by using a little white vinegar and water and a pinch of sea salt. Soak the entire plant in the solution for a couple minutes then rinse with cool clean rain water. Plant away from all other plants. And hope for the best. Good luck.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! It is not worth the discount. To make matters worse in my situation I ordered through a third party Zulily. The items did not ship when they said they would. When I reached out to inquire, Zulily couldn't even really help me. We are headed for a deep freeze and at this point it is too late to get them in the ground. I called the company directly to inquire about planting or try to find out why the order didn't ship. They outsource ALL of their calls to India. They cannot tell you anything about orders. They cannot answer any questions about planting. The previous owner of my house apparently ordered from them, they could not understand when I explained that the reason there was no order showing for Ilena was because I am not Ilena.

He did not understand that she was the previous home owner but because when he searched my address that was what came up, he just kept saying I had no orders. It was ridiculous. I asked to be transferred to someone in the States that could answer my questions about planting at this point in the season. He put me on hold and never came back. I ordered through Zulily as this was the first time I had heard of MI Bulb and thought I would give it a try. I cannot wrap my head around a Nursery of all types of business that would outsource their calls to India. It makes no sense. I have no bulbs and have no answers. Luckily Zulily refunded my money. These people are beyond bad customer service, they have NO customer service at all.

I placed an order for 100 Snow Drop bulbs on 9/29/15. Total order was $83.35. I used a 20 dollar off coupon code. I used my debit card and within 5 minutes the amount was deducted from my account. I received an email that day confirming my order would be shipped in 1 week. No bulbs. 2 weeks later another email saying they were not shipped. Next day an email saying they will be shipped on the 10/20. I am bombarded with junk mail from MB. I have emailed them twice asking about my order and the here in northwest NJ. We have already had a hard freeze. I need to get them in the ground.

My mother wanted these for my father's grave to look nice in the early spring. Still no bulbs. This company should not falsely advertise. I should have read all the negative reviews first. I will never again order from them. If I don't get bulbs or a full refund I will be calling the BBB. I am very disgusted. They don't even answer emails!! Stay away from this lousy company!!

I ordered bulbs from 3 companies including Michigan Bulb Co. The other two were excellent experiences. Michigan Bulb is the worst experience I've had ordering bulbs. I ordered the bulbs several months prior to shipping. I received an email from Michigan Bulb that part of the order of shipped and when to expect it. I received another email about balance of order and expected shipping arrival date. Neither shipment arrived within the dates.

After contacting them I was told to expect the shipments a month later. I told them to just refund my purchase. One of the shipments arrived two days later and an email from the company said they were out of stock on the balance of the order and would receive a gift certificate to shop for something else on their website. I did not want something else and asked for refund. I'm going through my credit card company to dispute the charge. Michigan Bulb does not inform you of when they ship your goods. They also do not send a tracking number so you know when they'll arrive or what happened. Incredible that they can screw up numerous times and not apologize and keep your money! Spring Hill has always done a great job. I've learned my lesson about Michigan Bulb. Never again!

I am writing this on the first day of Autumn so that I gave my plants the full summer heat to produce. I ordered numerous plants from this company and the plants were less than advertised. The Thuja Green Giant hedge plants are supposed to grow 3-5 FEET each year. Mine grew MAYBE 6 INCHES. The carpet phlox died within 2-3 weeks after planting. Of the 8 strawberry plants, only one is lived and did not produce any fruit.

The apricot tree is almost dead. The raspberry bush shipped as a stick and is still a stick with no growth. The two peonies that I ordered both died and they did give me a replacement certificate for them, but I really don't want to use the certs since I don't want to order from them again. The black eyed susan plants were about 3 inches when received and they still are about the same size. Overall, the quality of their plants is POOR and I would not recommend them to others nor will I use them again. They should not be allowed to advertise their products with all the complaints that have been filed.

I ordered some lily and other bulbs and waited for my order to arrive. They never contacted me and when I called them they said they were on order - that they didn't have them in stock. I was furious and demanded a refund and won't buy from them again.

Ordered 5 of big red hardy hibiscus none grew. Ordered 3 of snow white delight hardy hibiscus none grew. Ordered 12 of mixed dutch iris none grew. Ordered 3 of rose fountain grass none grew. Ordered 20 of lavender mountain lilies only 8 grew. Ordered 3 of red hens & chicks these are growing!!! Ordered 3 of mixed astilbe none grew. Ordered 10 of silver shamrock only 3 grew and not very big. Ordered 50 of blue pearl snow crocus only about 35 grew.

Ordered 3 of everblooming purple coneflower none grew. Ordered 3 of orange candleflower none grew. Ordered 50 of grape hyacinth mix super bag most of these grew (nicely at that). Ordered 5 of monster mum mix only 1 grew, very small but (about the size of an orange) still is green. Ordered 10 of deluxe hyacinth trio only 5 grew. Ordered 25 of all spring tulip mix of these 24 grew great, very happy with these. Ordered 3 of non-stop coreopsis all 3 grew but very small and weak. Ordered 1 of pilioseum hens & chicks doing ok. Ordered 2 of grand parade bee balm none grew. Ordered 1 of heartthrob hardy perennial hibiscus never grew. Ordered 3 of peppermint twist none grew.

Most of the roots appeared rotted, soft and dead but was told they were dormant. Planted anyway with hopes. Several of the bulbs appeared rotted and soft too. I spent a fair amount of money and got VERY LITTLE in return. Sent company a message and got a response that it was received and nothing after that. I will never buy from this company again nor recommend anyone buy from this company.

Michigan Bulb Company Company Profile