1.41/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

177 Michigan Bulb Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

I purchased plants from here at the beginning of the year. It took a while to get but they shipped them to me, DEAD! They were dried and didn't produce anything. I wrote them asking for a refund and why. They gave me a credit and refuse to give me my money back. This is the 3rd time in 2 years I had dead plants sent to me by them. They use to be good, 10 yrs ago I got all my plants there. Now I am out $50 because I WILL NOT purchase anything. They are fraudulent and need to be shut down! They stated they changed their policy and do not refund money anymore. I asked when that went into effect. Response - "A while ago." I stated what date because if it was after I purchased them then they needed to refund me my money. She refused to give me a date. Go elsewhere. Shut this company down.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I received an email from them offering a free plant with my order. I ordered two plants even though the shipping charges are quite high and never received the free plant. It seem they use the "offers" to get people to purchase their stuff. ITEMS ORDERED. Qty Ordered Item Number Item Description Ship Date Estimate. 1 05021 HARDY PERENNIAL LILIES 05/10/19. 1 86132 TANGO HUMMINGBIRD MINT 05/10/19. Order Date: 05/05/19. Shipping Amount: $8.95. Coupon Amount: $0.00. Product Total: $7.98. Estimated Tax: $0.00. Order Total: $16.93.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I ordered from Michigan Bulb several years ago and had no issues. Decided to order 2 items (Hibiscus) and was offered 1 free item. Ordered on April 16 with estimated delivery of April 27th. Checked order status April 27 and it showed estimated delivery May 10th with "items available for shipping". May 11th order showed estimated delivery May 22nd. I called and was told they would notify the greenhouse and I would receive an email confirming delivery. Today, May 21st order status shows an estimated delivery of May 27th!! No emails, no follow up. I just called and canceled the order. I am being told I will have a refund in 3-5 days. I suggest using a local, reputable nursery in your local area. This company does not deliver (products or promises)!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I ordered this product on 4/18. Delivery was scheduled for the last week of April for my zone. Checked the order status. It was delayed until the week of 5/15, which was fine with me. Checked order status again, now it's scheduled for the delivery the week of 5/21. I was starting to get frustrated. Checked the order status again on 5/20, now it was pushed back until the week of 5/27. I was done. This product was in stock when I ordered it. I was sick of the delivery constantly getting pushed out. I called customer service on 5/20 to cancel my order. The customer service rep asked me if they could expedite my order. I told him absolutely not. They should have done that a long time ago without me calling in to cancel my order. They are supposed to be crediting my Discover card within a few days. I will never go through this process again. I'll stick to my local box stores.

Resolution response: May 23, 2019

I was advised by PayPal to try to contact MI Bulb by phone instead of email. I must say that it was a much better experience. We were able to come to an agreement regarding my orders and I am very satisfied with my outcome. My only advice to anyone who orders from any company would be to be sure to read guarantees and / or refund policies. Even make a copy for your records.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My first order with this company was for Ornamental Grass in March of 2018. Out of the 12 plants received only 3 actually grew. When I wrote their company to complain, I received a refund through my PayPal account per their guarantee. I decided to give them another chance and placed another two orders for two different types of lavenders and some Black-eyed Susan. These arrived in September 2018. Even though they looked dead, I planted per the instructions. Nothing happened, but I covered each plant for the winter hoping they would come up in the spring.

I also cut back the ornamental grass for the winter and covered with mason jars. NONE of these plants came up this spring!! Extremely disappointed, I wrote the company again. Since I was referencing 3 different orders, I wrote 3 separate emails. I received a response to 2 complaints offering "merchandise credit" and have not had any response on the 3rd. It was then that I noticed they changed the verbiage on their "guarantee". Why would I want "merchandise credit" when NONE of the plants grew?? I spent a lot of money and am extremely disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michigan Bulb Company?

Original review: May 18, 2019

I ordered a rose bush online. The site said, 'in stock' with immediate delivery. I was checking on the order status every 2-3 days. Delivery date was constantly being pushed out. Now it is scheduled for 24 days out from the date of order. I called them, they don't know when they'll truly ever be able to deliver it.

Original review: May 8, 2019

It took two weeks for Michigan Bulb to ship the plant. They sent it by the slowest possible mail. They watered it and wrapped it tightly in plastic so it arrived so rotten that it fell apart in my hands - I couldn't even tell what kind of plant it was. I emailed them and got no reply. I sent a second email and got a copy-and-paste "we could give you a store credit." I wrote back telling them that 1) I did not want another plant four weeks late and 2) the credit they offered was less than than the amount they charged my credit card. They never responded. Terrible product and miserable customer service. Most importantly, their "No risk guarantee" (the reason I took a chance on them) is completely false. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM MICHIGAN BULB!

Original review: May 5, 2019

We ordered numerous plants and bulbs for our landscaping (well over $100) back in March of this year. The company immediately cashed the check and to this day has sent exactly NOTHING. We have contacted them numerous times and each time we get a different story. We’ve been told the items are put on rush order and will be here 1st of May, and just today (5/5) were told they would be sent at end of May, well past start of growing season. I wish we had seen these reviews on the company before we wasted our time with because at this point it’s difficult to believe we’ll get anything other than excuses from them. Most retailers will send products before taking money, but these greedy ** will gladly take the money and leave customers hanging!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I placed an order back on 2/8/2019 for 3 different kinds of butterfly bushes and 1 candleflower. Called in late March to inquire about the status of my order as the planting season in South Carolina is March. The representative advised that the order will still pending and should be shipped shortly. I sent an email to the customer service department on April 11th to advise the order had not been received yet and followed up with a second email on April 15th with no response to either email as of today.

Finally received a 3 in 1 butterfly Bush and a Black Knight Butterfly Bush the week of April 15th and the Black Knight Butterfly Bush looks horrible. Called today, April 24th, to inquire where the remainder of my order for a Nectar Hummingbird Mint Mixture and a Orange CandleFlower were. I was advised the remaining order was shipped out and should have by Monday, April 29th. It is quite obvious this company doesn't care about their customer, customer service or their products.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I placed an order for (2) painted women Siberian iris bulbs, (2) black joker Siberian iris bulbs and (2) pennywhistle iris bulbs = total 6 bulbs; per trio bulbs of 3 is $17.99 per order. In addition, placed 1 order of the power pills for plants (fertilizer pills) $4.99. The order arrived fairly quickly from the date that was ordered. The package arrived at my corporate office today (Friday 4/19/2019). I was delighted and can't wait to see the beauty of the bulbs. I was quickly disappointed the second I opened the cardboard box. It looked as though the contents were hit by a torpedo in some form. It was packaged in a very messy manner, the roots of the bulbs were not carefully packed in a fashion to protect the bulbs to keeping its good condition. The package receipt was on the bottom covered with loose soil. I had to carefully pick up (each of the iris bulbs) and re-position to avoid further damage to the bulbs.

Michigan Bulb Company has a wide variety of bulbs to purchase, other supplies online. Their website's graphic is impressively designed in such a way to attract consumers to order thru them. Their (order processing center) is located in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. And perhaps it is not so much the company, per se. It could be the order processing center that handles the order in a messy, sloppy packaging manner that is the key to receiving a 1 or 2 star rating online. This company would have and could have received a 5 star rating from me. However from the appearance of receiving my 1st order; I am not impressed and my excitement quickly turned into less than a half-smile expression. Will I be ordering thru them again? As of this writing, it is on hold and it is a future consideration.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I placed an order for multiple plants on January 7 and they still have not been shipped. Despite numerous phone calls and promises they keep pushing back the ship date. It is already 70 degree weather here in Georgia and these plants should have been in the ground weeks ago. I will never order from this company again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I stayed away from this fly-by-night company for 10 yrs. I tried again last year and was mailed mostly dead plants. Cust serv has improved so the plants were replaced. Today a rep could not find a SINGLE item on their so-called 'up to 70% off' sale that I could buy! She searched for more than an hour!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

We've been ordering from this company for years - and thru several moves which put us in different hardiness zones we've enjoyed their flowery addition to our gardens. OK, a few times plants didn't take -- but they issued a refund with no squabble. Yes, the plants start out really small, (small as the prices) but they are hardy and reliable. My toad lily is particularly spectacular. I'm ordering from Michigan Bulb again this year -- with only one caveat/warning: if there might be a raccoon or woodchuck lurking in your neighborhood, avoid the smelly fish fertilizer. Plants can't grow if they're being repeatedly ripped up by hungry critters.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I ordered 2 patio blueberry bushes, I just receive them today. Very disappointed! One looks like can be alive, the other one was dry completely, soil and plant. Also they are a lot smaller than what you see in the pictures on Michigan Bulb webpage. I planted them in small pots in fresh, quality soil we just bought from a soil company, water them very well. I’m really hoping they will survive, but based on what I see I’m not too sure. Will update once I will see for sure! Still so dissatisfied and disappointed as all the review they have in their page is only the 5 star ones. I looked up now after I got the plants and found this page with reviews and see how many unsatisfied customers they have. If I would know about this, I would probably not order from them! I wish I could post pictures here of the dry plants I got!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have an order ready to email in. However, after so many bad reviews, I have to agree with one of them that it is one thing to see how well the plant will thrive, and a completely other thing to hope you even get live plants, much less healthy from this company. Think I will pass... Even with the catalog of 50% off. If you don't get them, what good is it? Let's keep life simple. No need to borrow trouble.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Ordered in August, anticipated shipping dates moved back 6 times. Contacted customer service, emailed...repeatedly. Plants shipped in November...to Michigan from Ohio... I have 2 inches of snow on the yard. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

As others have recently experienced, I placed an order in early October 2018 and it has not yet shipped by 2 weeks later, in spite of my calling the company. I called to cancel the order, and was told by Sarah it was not possible, and that my credit card had already been charged even though the order had not yet shipped. When I threatened to call my credit card company to dispute the charge, they agreed to cancel the order and refund my credit card. I will never order from them again, and wish I had checked their ratings before I placed the order.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I ordered bulbs and on my order they said they would ship 1 week later Oct 7th. I checked my order on Oct. 12 and it showed they would ship October 22nd. I emailed customer service my concern and I got a cut and paste reply that it takes 2 or 3 weeks to receive my order. They didn’t answer my questions so I assume it was a standard Answer. I checked my order in the 23rd and it showed they still hadn’t shipped. Very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I placed an order for bulbs in August expecting them to be shipped sometime in September. Every time I check my order status the expected ship date has been moved back by days, sometimes weeks. I have called to cancel the order and have been told that was not possible because it was now ready to ship. Here it is a week later and they have moved back the shipping date to 10-25. Do not order from this company if you want to receive your products, poor service and will not receive in time to plant in my area.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered 2 rose bushes in August and received 2 twigs in October one is totally dead. I am very disappointed, I had hoped not to plant while there was frost on the ground, but having one already dead will not do anything for me come summer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I ordered this Spring Bulb Collection from Michigan Bulb in June after we put together a perennial garden on our Summer Cabin property. This order was a Pre-order, and it was SUPPOSED to arrive between September 9th to September 14th. On September 15th we received a large box filled with inflated bubble wrap and 10 crocus bulbs, but we did not receive the 250 bulbs of the Spring Bulb Collection.

I contacted Michigan Bulb immediately (we are snow-birds, and do not stay long enough for the season to enjoy their late-late delivery). They were remis, and apologized and of course the order will be shipped in 9-12 working days. Now we await their delivery, and when or if we receive it??? I cannot recommend them. Their practice is sloppy and lacks professionalism. First we wait till our promised 9-14th delivery date, and then they default and renege on that??? Poor business practice. I have not yet received this complete order, and think I should now return it for a full refund.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Richard, I am sorry to hear about your experience. This is definitely not a common practice in our business, but sometimes some things fall through the cracks. We would be happy to honor a refund of your order, and please keep the order when you do receive it (no need to send it back). Please reach out at 812-260-2148 so that we can issue your refund. We look forward to getting this resolved for you.

Original review: July 12, 2018

3 out of 12 elephant ears grew, and very very disappointing with those 3. 80% of this big order ($99) is worthless; not showing, growing or popping. I will never order from them again. The hostas are pitiful. They sent junk. Do not waste your money on this company. I have been growing hostas for 50 years. Believe me... Buy your bulbs products from Costco, last year I had a garden worthy of awards... I live in eastern lower Michigan.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Barbara, I am sorry to hear about your experience. In some cases, we do ship smaller sized plants so that we can provide value prices to our customers. We have found that with proper care, these plants will be just as successful as larger ones from box stores. We do offer a no-risk guarantee if you do not have success, and we would be happy to honor this for you if not done so already. Please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will be happy to get you taken care of.

Original review: June 28, 2018

On May 10, 2018 I ordered what The Michigan Bulb Company calls a Burning Bush Hedge. It consists of 5 bare roots. It said it was in stock the day I ordered it. Over a week later it still had not even been shipped out so I contacted them. Finally on May 22nd they shipped the bare roots out. I received 4 dead roots and 1 alive root. The alive one had a greenish color to the stem, the 4 dead ones were brown in color to the stem. Anyhow I planted all of them just to make sure. As of today only the greenish colored stem one has shown any signs of growth on it. So I will conclude that I was correct in assuming the 4 brownish stems were dead upon arrival!

The Michigan Bulb Company does not ship orders out when they are ordered. I am not sure why they wait so long to ship them out. And then after waiting so long for the bare roots of the burning bush hedge to come to receive 4 dead ones out of the 5 total was just very upsetting and disappointing. Also their email said was shipped out on May 22nd, however they were not delivered until June. Their website has customer reviews on it and all are highly rated but till I went today I just realized there is no place to leave a review on their website. So now I am weary that those reviews shown there are real -- or why wouldn't any customer who ordered from them be allowed to post a review??? I would not recommend anyone making a purchase from The Michigan Bulb Company.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Sheryl, we absolutely allow for any customer to write a product review. The reviews that are posted on our homepage are from a 3rd party, BizRate. A link is provided after each review if you would like to validate those. I am sorry to hear about your plants, and if you have not done so already, please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will honor our guarantee. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our business, including ship times, so we encourage you to try us again in the future.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I make a lot of online plant purchases. First time buying from Michigan Bulb Co. Their communication is poor — I got multiple notices with conflicting info about when my plants would arrive, this season or next year. I emailed for clarification but received no response. They seem to send plants one at a time. Their shipping method has plants in transit longer than any other nursery I’ve used; When my first plant arrived it was completely covered with white spores from being kept in a moist plastic wrapping with no air for too long. They did give me a refund with no hassle, which I appreciated, though I’d rather have a healthy plant. Waiting on my other plants. Fingers crossed.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Hello - thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate all customer feedback. I will forward your information to the appropriate department. Please reach out if you have any issues with the rest of your order!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have ordered 5 CREME DE LA CREME PHLOX from Michigan Bulb Company. I received my order with 5 Phlox. Planted the Phlox with care. Finally, what I have now – the only one Phlox plant has survived. Four other are dead. Very disappointed, this is really waste of my money. When I received these plants I mentioned, that they are very dry and not looking alive. I will not use this company again.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Alla, I am sorry to hear that you did not have success with the plants you received. We do offer a no-risk guarantee on all of our products, so we would be happy to provide a refund or merchandise credit - your preference. The quickest way for us to get you taken care of is if you call in at 812-260-2148. We look forward to hearing from you so we can make this right.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I find it strange when I order an item on clearance, it doesnt shows up. I ordered 6 Crepe Myrtles, only 2 arrived. The invoice in the box showed 6 items. When I call them it is no longer in stock. Clearly it wasnt in stock when they shipped a partial order. It would have been nice to receive a phone call or an email letting me know I was due a refund. It's bad enough when I order something it is a hope and a prayer that it will stay alive. After all of this I check online to see if any Crepe Myrtles are in stock and the ones that I purchased on sale IS IN STOCK for a higher price. I called back, he said out of stock for old orders in stock for new orders at a higher price. HUH! SCAM.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Tracy, thank you for sharing your experience. I believe this is something that we can improve on so I will be passing your comments along. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our business, so we encourage you to try us again in the future!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I am an avid gardener, planted day after receiving my plants and only 1 has survived & it is not looking good. I complained about one of the plants a few weeks after planting & no sign of life & was given a credit, frankly, after reading other reviews, I will not use this company again.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Fran, thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that we got you taken care of as far as getting a credit. We are constantly working on ways to improve our business, so we encourage you to try us again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

If you can check my record, I ordered around 7 plants a few months ago and they all came in the mail in September 2017. I planted them as instructed. They all came out ok except the Rose of Sharon and the Maxima Festival died. Is there any warranty that if any of these plants died... it will be replaced? Or, that would be my last purchase of plants in your company. Your email to show the order number has been deleted, but the only proof I have is my email address.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Ruth, thank you for reaching out. All of our products are backed by our no-risk guarantee and we will absolutely provide replacements or refunds. If you have not done so already, please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will be happy to get you taken care of. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I emailed customer service about a dead blackberry bush three weeks ago and still have not heard a word from them. Will definitely unsubscribe from any further emails from this company. They have no customer service.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Cindy, I am sorry to hear that we were not able to get you taken care of. We would be happy to honor our guarantee for you - the quickest way for us to this is by phone at 812-260-2148. We look forward to hearing from you so we can make this right.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I ordered 17 blue festuca grass. It did take a while to get them and shipment like other reviews got pushed out which may have been the problem because all but one of the plants died and it's dying. They sent 5 replacements and those too died. I contacted Customer Service via email and they responded within 24 hours and refunded me within 2 days as promised. While I'm not sold on buying future plants online I am sold on the customer service treatment that I personally received from Michigan Bulb. Sorry others didn't have the same experience because the way I was treated is how it should be. I was one of the fortunate ones. Thank you Michigan Bulb!

Michigan Bulb Company response

Deborah, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad we were able to get you taken care of, but I am sorry to hear that you did not have success with our plants. We are always working on improving plant quality and shipping times, so we encourage you to try us again in the future!

Michigan Bulb Company Company Information