1.41/5
Based on 114 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

158 Michigan Bulb Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered 2 rose bushes in August and received 2 twigs in October one is totally dead. I am very disappointed, I had hoped not to plant while there was frost on the ground, but having one already dead will not do anything for me come summer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I ordered this Spring Bulb Collection from Michigan Bulb in June after we put together a perennial garden on our Summer Cabin property. This order was a Pre-order, and it was SUPPOSED to arrive between September 9th to September 14th. On September 15th we received a large box filled with inflated bubble wrap and 10 crocus bulbs, but we did not receive the 250 bulbs of the Spring Bulb Collection.

I contacted Michigan Bulb immediately (we are snow-birds, and do not stay long enough for the season to enjoy their late-late delivery). They were remis, and apologized and of course the order will be shipped in 9-12 working days. Now we await their delivery, and when or if we receive it??? I cannot recommend them. Their practice is sloppy and lacks professionalism. First we wait till our promised 9-14th delivery date, and then they default and renege on that??? Poor business practice. I have not yet received this complete order, and think I should now return it for a full refund.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Richard, I am sorry to hear about your experience. This is definitely not a common practice in our business, but sometimes some things fall through the cracks. We would be happy to honor a refund of your order, and please keep the order when you do receive it (no need to send it back). Please reach out at 812-260-2148 so that we can issue your refund. We look forward to getting this resolved for you.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 12, 2018

3 out of 12 elephant ears grew, and very very disappointing with those 3. 80% of this big order ($99) is worthless; not showing, growing or popping. I will never order from them again. The hostas are pitiful. They sent junk. Do not waste your money on this company. I have been growing hostas for 50 years. Believe me... Buy your bulbs products from Costco, last year I had a garden worthy of awards... I live in eastern lower Michigan.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Barbara, I am sorry to hear about your experience. In some cases, we do ship smaller sized plants so that we can provide value prices to our customers. We have found that with proper care, these plants will be just as successful as larger ones from box stores. We do offer a no-risk guarantee if you do not have success, and we would be happy to honor this for you if not done so already. Please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will be happy to get you taken care of.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: June 28, 2018

On May 10, 2018 I ordered what The Michigan Bulb Company calls a Burning Bush Hedge. It consists of 5 bare roots. It said it was in stock the day I ordered it. Over a week later it still had not even been shipped out so I contacted them. Finally on May 22nd they shipped the bare roots out. I received 4 dead roots and 1 alive root. The alive one had a greenish color to the stem, the 4 dead ones were brown in color to the stem. Anyhow I planted all of them just to make sure. As of today only the greenish colored stem one has shown any signs of growth on it. So I will conclude that I was correct in assuming the 4 brownish stems were dead upon arrival!

The Michigan Bulb Company does not ship orders out when they are ordered. I am not sure why they wait so long to ship them out. And then after waiting so long for the bare roots of the burning bush hedge to come to receive 4 dead ones out of the 5 total was just very upsetting and disappointing. Also their email said was shipped out on May 22nd, however they were not delivered until June. Their website has customer reviews on it and all are highly rated but till I went today I just realized there is no place to leave a review on their website. So now I am weary that those reviews shown there are real -- or why wouldn't any customer who ordered from them be allowed to post a review??? I would not recommend anyone making a purchase from The Michigan Bulb Company.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Sheryl, we absolutely allow for any customer to write a product review. The reviews that are posted on our homepage are from a 3rd party, BizRate. A link is provided after each review if you would like to validate those. I am sorry to hear about your plants, and if you have not done so already, please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will honor our guarantee. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our business, including ship times, so we encourage you to try us again in the future.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I make a lot of online plant purchases. First time buying from Michigan Bulb Co. Their communication is poor — I got multiple notices with conflicting info about when my plants would arrive, this season or next year. I emailed for clarification but received no response. They seem to send plants one at a time. Their shipping method has plants in transit longer than any other nursery I’ve used; When my first plant arrived it was completely covered with white spores from being kept in a moist plastic wrapping with no air for too long. They did give me a refund with no hassle, which I appreciated, though I’d rather have a healthy plant. Waiting on my other plants. Fingers crossed.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Hello - thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate all customer feedback. I will forward your information to the appropriate department. Please reach out if you have any issues with the rest of your order!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michigan Bulb Company?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: May 22, 2018

I have ordered 5 CREME DE LA CREME PHLOX from Michigan Bulb Company. I received my order with 5 Phlox. Planted the Phlox with care. Finally, what I have now – the only one Phlox plant has survived. Four other are dead. Very disappointed, this is really waste of my money. When I received these plants I mentioned, that they are very dry and not looking alive. I will not use this company again.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Alla, I am sorry to hear that you did not have success with the plants you received. We do offer a no-risk guarantee on all of our products, so we would be happy to provide a refund or merchandise credit - your preference. The quickest way for us to get you taken care of is if you call in at 812-260-2148. We look forward to hearing from you so we can make this right.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: May 20, 2018

I find it strange when I order an item on clearance, it doesnt shows up. I ordered 6 Crepe Myrtles, only 2 arrived. The invoice in the box showed 6 items. When I call them it is no longer in stock. Clearly it wasnt in stock when they shipped a partial order. It would have been nice to receive a phone call or an email letting me know I was due a refund. It's bad enough when I order something it is a hope and a prayer that it will stay alive. After all of this I check online to see if any Crepe Myrtles are in stock and the ones that I purchased on sale IS IN STOCK for a higher price. I called back, he said out of stock for old orders in stock for new orders at a higher price. HUH! SCAM.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Tracy, thank you for sharing your experience. I believe this is something that we can improve on so I will be passing your comments along. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our business, so we encourage you to try us again in the future!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 9, 2018

I am an avid gardener, planted day after receiving my plants and only 1 has survived & it is not looking good. I complained about one of the plants a few weeks after planting & no sign of life & was given a credit, frankly, after reading other reviews, I will not use this company again.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Fran, thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that we got you taken care of as far as getting a credit. We are constantly working on ways to improve our business, so we encourage you to try us again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

If you can check my record, I ordered around 7 plants a few months ago and they all came in the mail in September 2017. I planted them as instructed. They all came out ok except the Rose of Sharon and the Maxima Festival died. Is there any warranty that if any of these plants died... it will be replaced? Or, that would be my last purchase of plants in your company. Your email to show the order number has been deleted, but the only proof I have is my email address.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Ruth, thank you for reaching out. All of our products are backed by our no-risk guarantee and we will absolutely provide replacements or refunds. If you have not done so already, please reach out at 812-260-2148 and we will be happy to get you taken care of. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 17, 2017

I emailed customer service about a dead blackberry bush three weeks ago and still have not heard a word from them. Will definitely unsubscribe from any further emails from this company. They have no customer service.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Cindy, I am sorry to hear that we were not able to get you taken care of. We would be happy to honor our guarantee for you - the quickest way for us to this is by phone at 812-260-2148. We look forward to hearing from you so we can make this right.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: June 16, 2017

I ordered 17 blue festuca grass. It did take a while to get them and shipment like other reviews got pushed out which may have been the problem because all but one of the plants died and it's dying. They sent 5 replacements and those too died. I contacted Customer Service via email and they responded within 24 hours and refunded me within 2 days as promised. While I'm not sold on buying future plants online I am sold on the customer service treatment that I personally received from Michigan Bulb. Sorry others didn't have the same experience because the way I was treated is how it should be. I was one of the fortunate ones. Thank you Michigan Bulb!

Michigan Bulb Company response

Deborah, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad we were able to get you taken care of, but I am sorry to hear that you did not have success with our plants. We are always working on improving plant quality and shipping times, so we encourage you to try us again in the future!

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have been ordering from this company for many years. Some of the orders do arrive unsightly. Although, if you plant them properly, 95%+ will grow to be exactly what you want. I have always been satisfied with what I received. If you research what you are ordering, you won't be disappointed. If you want full grown plants, I suggest you purchase elsewhere. And you will pay much more money for those. Give these small wilted roots a chance. And remember they are in a dormant state when you get them. I give Michigan Bulb Company an A+.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Debra, thank you so much for your comments, and thank you for being a loyal customer. We love serving customers like you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: May 10, 2017

Received the bulbs, after an almost three week wait, planted the next day. 17 days later still no sign of life and some were planted in a container. Spoke with them today on a "chat". Was told, they won't bloom this year, will be next year. Boy should have bought local. I have bought bulbs locally before and they come up beautifully, not many blooms first year, but you see a result. They have at this point agreed finally to a refund, we shall see, but somehow I am not very hopeful. Do yourself a favor, buy local. You get healthy bulbs and see results with them the first year. Better to pay a little more as, true to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Hi Jackie, yes - it's possible that some bulbs will sprout the same season, however this depends on a number of things. The variety and its bloom time, the season that you are planting in, and even the time of the season that they are planted are all factors here. I am not sure which varieties you purchased, but it is important to keep this in mind. Either way, I am happy that we were able to provide you a refund. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 27, 2017

I ordered 3 packages of giant lilies in Feb. and planted them in March right after they arrived. Of the 9 bulbs I received not one came up. Upon calling Michigan Bulb Co. I requested a refund and was told it would be charged back to my PayPal account. I do not have a PayPal account. I informed them of this and they stated that their records showed that I did so the refund would go there even I still do not have a PayPal account and have never had a PayPal account. Sounds to me like it is just a way to not honor their warranty. I will never do business with Michigan Bulb Company again and will not recommend them to anyone.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Alfred, I am very sorry to hear about this situation. We absolutely honor our guarantee to all customers, however, it's difficult when our system doesn't match what customers are describing. I am not sure if you have received a refund yet at this time, however - if you call back and ask to speak to a supervisor I am sure we can find a way to resolve this situation.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I purchased a number of different items that were poorly packaged, some were rotting. The roses that I ordered were not dormant, they had dark green leaves on a twig that when touched they fell off. They looked sickly. The only plants that looked promising were the burning bushes. I don't know if the plants had too much water or what. When purchasing bare root plant that are dormant. Just about anyone can propagate a stick. Needless to say I will not be purchasing anything from this company again.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Hi Jennifer. I see that you placed your review in April, and if that is when you received your products, it could be that some of them had broken dormancy and were ready to get planted. With bareroot roses, it's important to trim the canes prior to planting, even if they have buds on them. Either way, if you are not happy with your purchase, you can reach out to us at 812-260-2148 any time and we will honor our guarantee. We look forward to hearing from you so we can make this right.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I purchased 2 items from them on 3/26/17 and I received them a couple of days ago. With shipping charges of $9.95 it was a total of $25.33. I have never been scammed by a plant nursery before. I am attaching the shriveled things which cannot be called plants and to justify the shipping charges for $9.95 these things that measure 1" each was sent in a huge box. I don't want to return these things at my own expense and get a merchant credit. I will dispute the charges with my credit card. With so many complaints why is it still in business? I should have checked the reviews before placing my order.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Hello, we do have a no-risk guarantee for all of our products and we will NEVER ask for you to ship a plant item back to us. If you are not satisfied with an order, please reach out to us and we will do whatever we can to make it right - whether that be a reshipment or a refund (without returning the product). We do appreciate you sharing your experience, however, we would have been happy to resolve this over the phone instead of you having to reach out to your credit card provider.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I placed an order & was sent an e-mail that I would receive my shipment by March 18th, I checked website after the 18th and it NOW said I would receive my shipment by March 23rd. After the 23rd. I checked website and said my shipment would arrive by April 3rd. I called, and got a runaround. I was put on hold and he put a rush on the shipment and he told me I would receive the order by the 3rd. I checked today, March 28th on the website and NOW it says I will receive order by April 5th, so much for RUSH SHIPMENT. I called today and got another runaround. Once I receive my order, If I ever do, I will NEVER purchase from them again. I already stopped e-mails from them. Their e-mails in SPAM!!

Michigan Bulb Company response

John, we are continuously working to improve our shipping processes, so I will be passing your comments along. We do appreciate your feedback and apologize for the experience you had. As we are always making improvements, we do encourage you to give us another try. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out at 812-260-2148. Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I have had very frustrating issues with this company and its "Customer Service" and today someone named 'Julia' claiming to be from the billing dept. Once again treating me in a very hostile and arbitrary manner and basically determined to be the HITLER of this entity overriding 2 supervisors whom I thought had some worth about how to treat consumers!

A few years ago we experienced an extremely cold winter here on Cape Cod where many of my pricey flowers didn't come back and supposedly are guaranteed to grow or they will be reshipped or credits given etc. A few items were reshipped having barely a thread of a root and didn't take. For 2 years straight I was sent letters telling me their products weren't a good fit for me simultaneously getting postcards apologizing for not sending what I ordered or due to their being out of stock and was sent credits for my not receiving items. And in between all this nonsense I did order flowers and I did get them and they do grow!

This year I foolishly thought someone there actually valued customers concerns. (Was I wrong!) This month another supervisor (Jane **) spoke with me at length going thru all my issues and back orders etc. after a previous Supervisor (Kathy **) had left working there. And I finally put thru 2 orders of flowers using the credits that she had given me and had said that everything was now on track and then this week I got yet another letter canceling my orders!

This company has cost many folks several growing seasons with their bizarre rhetoric and feel that they are so perfect that they RULE and others should just keep paying them but expect neither their continued "striving to be the best" or their guarantees as stated. Like so many others I have read here when you buy online on their site and go by the stated prices that supposedly are on sale; the minute you click to pay for the order the prices jump to the previous price and when you call the customer rep. doesn't see anything that is on the screen.

I am a very dedicated gardener with a beautiful garden that is my pride and joy and dealing with these morons who clearly are less than honest no matter who you speak with and refuse to accept anything except what they dictate is unrealistic in this world. They are far from perfect and neither is the weather or its complications but for sure when one spends thousands of dollars with this company and they take the stand that they are right when they are not, is unacceptable. Since they are so defiant and unwilling to honor the very orders that were confirmed and cost me yet another growing season, I want some very explicit sanctions put against them... and having certain employees fired for their bizarre communications! They deserve as much negative feedback as possible; not for the flowers, but for the conflicting and negative manner their employees treat people!

Michigan Bulb Company response

Thank you for your comments. We understand your concerns as a gardener. We do have certain rules in place with our guarantee - we will honor it at any point for any purchase, however, if we find that a customer returns a high percentage of their orders, we have to make the assumption that our products are not a fit. This protects the gardener from having unsuccessful plants, as well as us from continually reshipping or refunding. We're sure you can understand that from a business standpoint.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Clicked into the website from a targeted email offering me $5.99 shipping in addition to the 50% off sale (expiring 4/7/17). The discounted prices showed on the website and in the cart. I checked out using my PayPal account and a millisecond after I submitted the payment, the price doubled! I immediately called to cancel my order. The outsourced customer service agent told me she processed the refund. I never received a confirmation of the refund.

The next day, I called reiterating the cancellation request. The Indian CS rep said he needed to review my order. After a few minutes, he said it's been canceled and the refund should already be in my PayPal account; insisting that these processes are automated. No refund was received. I asked for a supervisor. I was on hold for a couple minutes and a rep (who sounded identical to the previous one) answered stating that he was a supervisor and that I will receive the confirmation email in 24-48 hours and my refund in 3-5 business days. A refund should automatically generate an email showing the latest status of the order. Deceptive practices by showing misleading prices. This is a sham.

Michigan Bulb Company response

Thank you for your comments. This is definitely not a practice we follow. We do often have multiple promotions running at one time, and switching between offer codes has been known to cause some confusion. If you ever have this issue again, please do not hesitate to reach out and we will be happy to honor the prices you saw originally.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I placed an order online with Michigan Bulb. I purchased some items that were on sale. I looked at the prices at the initial screen and they were correct. My total was approximately $31.00 including tax and shipping. I went to the submit screen and hit submit. Wrong move on my part. All of the prices were changed and I was charged double! $63.00! I have called and cancelled my order and will update if there is an issue with returning my money. Bait and switch tactics!

Michigan Bulb Company response

Kathie, this is definitely not a practice we follow. We do often have multiple promotions running at one time, and switching between offer codes has been known to cause some confusion. If you ever have this issue again, please do not hesitate to reach out and we will be happy to honor the prices you saw originally. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

Ordered plants in June. Was to deliver in Sept. Had several orders. Got two roses that had not been watered since the Civil War. Picture showed big roses got a stub of one two inches high. Other plants on order some they say they shipped last month. Bull. Terrible business. All talk no action.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I moved and needed to start my garden at square one, thus the the large diverse order. I have been gardening for 20+ years and have a talent for growing things in the roughest areas. I give this background information only to explain my disgust when spring turn to summer and I am watering and weeding to be rewarded with... two crocus and a daffodil. Yes, the company did return my money; however, I lost a whole season of establishing a garden. That is one more year I have to wait for my new home to truly feel like home.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I ordered 3 plants on May 30, 2016. I received a confirmation email stating that my plants would be delivered between June 2 and June 7. I waited for my shipment email which didn't come until after June 7. Contacted the company to find out if there was an issue and they said it would be 2 -3 weeks. Ugh. Ok. Totally wouldn't have ordered if I'd known I'd have to wait that long. Waited a few more days and two of the 3 plants were sent to me. I received them. They were a lot smaller than I had thought they would be. One of the two looked almost dead. Planted both. One seems ok... Only time will tell for the other. Now, third plant shipped finally on June 17th.

I don't know if the entire country is have high 90s this week and last... My third plant was delivered today. June 23. I will be really surprised if this one survives. The leaves all look burnt. There was soil all over the box and I really don't think it's gonna survive. :( I WISH I would have checked reviews before ordering from this company. I would have and should have shopped Local. My tight budget forced me to look for the sale. Live and learn. Shop local and research reviews... Lesson learned.

Original review: June 10, 2016

Plants were sent too early for upstate NY but according to instructions I planted them and 50% have died. Last year when I called about this I was told give them some more time and if they don't come up call back. So this year I gave them more time and the response is "We have a 30 days guarantee this year, you should have called earlier." Ridiculous and I will never buy from Michigan Bulb again though I have numerous times in the past.

Original review: June 9, 2016

I am SO sorry I did not check reviews first! They completely ignore instructions. They shipped my first order when the ground was still frozen, despite clear instructions. Second order sent via wrong shipper despite clear instructions and was returned to them. Third order was being sent to address in wrong state, according to the email I received, though first two orders were sent to correct address (go figure). Customer service said that even though the confirmation email was to wrong address, that was wrong and they were planning to send it to the address on record.

I just found out today they are not shipping replacement order for #1 until the end of month when it is too HOT to plant perennials, so I had to cancel that replacement order along with the new order they were sending to wrong address. In 18 years with perennial gardening being my #1 hobby/relaxation activity and what I wait for all winter, I have NEVER had such a bad experience with an internet supplier (I use internet nurseries almost exclusively). If there were a zero, that's what I would give them! And oh yes, the plants I did receive were feeble.

Original review: May 22, 2016

Just had to let you know that I am unsatisfied with my order. NOT one of the liriope sprouted or grew. It was a waste of money. Don't know if I will ever order from Michigan Bulb Co. again!

Original review: May 14, 2016

Last July I ordered specific day lilies and was excited to get them. It was until they bloomed I found they weren't the ones I ordered. The company will only give you a replacement certificate...not a refund. I have a replacement certificate that I wanted to use this year and have attempted to use it but, customer service said I have to pay for the order...then call and they will apply the replacement certificate. They held on for many minutes while I searched for a "replacement certificate" button which I never found and they could not point me to.

I refuse to pay for an order on my credit card that they owe me due to their obviously knowingly sending me the wrong bulb knowing they would not refund my original money. I have gotten nowhere and still can not get my money back. It is only $20 or so but, that is not the point. Very poor customer service and this company obviously does not take pride in their business or care about their customers. Don't even think about doing business with them. Who knows what will come in the mail!

Original review: May 7, 2016

I wish I had read these reviews before I ordered. I placed an order on 5/1/16, today is only 5/6/16. I received a "confirmation" email on 6/1. But I have received numerous "sales" emails DAILY from Michigan Bulb. When I emailed them about this their response was, "If you don't want to receive these emails you may remove your email from our list, but then you won't know when your order ships." I'm going to "think positive" and wait it out. Meanwhile, I will trash all of the 'sales' emails. Ugh.

Original review: May 3, 2016

I placed two orders one on 4/3/16, 2 Blue Passion Flowers, Hens & Chicks, Hosta Mix Super Bag, Mix Cora Bells and on 4/4/16 (2 Blue Passion Flowers, 2 Purple Passion Flowers). The 4/4 items came in first as a partial order on 4/26/16. When I inquired about the remaining order, (the same day as delivered 4/26) I was told over the phone, 3-5 more days to complete and deliver both orders. The reason for the delay was they had a hard freeze and it held up shipping. Okay, no problem.

So today 5/2/16 I'm told it didn't get mailed out because Michigan Bulb did not have the correct zip code?!! I did mention about the partial order received and how could that happen!? After asking for a supervisor, the response was the Michigan Bulb Manager would call me back. Nothing was out of stock when I order both days. Our springtime is almost over. Michigan Bulb "added" delivery dates as follows: PURPLE PASSION FLOWER - Delivery Estimate: 06/12/16 - 06/12/16 (Keep in mind - this was ordered 4/4), BLUE PASSION FLOWER - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1 (These four items ordered 4/3), 69113 COBWEB HENS & CHICKS - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1, 04981 HOSTA MIX SUPER BAG - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 1, 63006 MIXED CORAL BELLS - Delivery Estimate: 05/05/16 - 05/05/16 2 - I was sent an email to confirm my orders and guess what, it had my correct zip code.

Original review: April 22, 2016

My first mistake was placing 2 orders, a couple of days apart. Shipping was slow for the first order and the items were very small for the price, 4 inch for a vine. Should of went to the local plant stores. The 2nd order still has not been shipped and they have changed the shipping dates numerous times. 19 days and still nothing. My advice, buy local and avoid them!

Michigan Bulb Company Company Information