2. Homeowners
  3. Cleaning Services

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.27/5
Based on 1,165 ratings

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Merry Maids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I’ve had Merry Maids for about a year. Initial deep clean was amazing! I was so excited even though one of the ladies broke my husband’s collectible Hank Aaron statue. Once the biweekly cleanings began, EVERYTHING changed. COMPLETE opposite. Basic wipe down. Cleaning is inconsistent, depending on who they send. It’s been a very stressful experience as I’ve had to sit home each time and follow behind people to make sure things are actually cleaned. Many of the ladies are NOT happy in their job and you can tell. When you complain, the manager basically justifies the cleaning, offers to change the team, but refuses to make any concessions on letting us out of this awful contract.

I’ve sent pictures of coffee and liquid stains on my kitchen counters IMMEDIATELY after a the cleaning only to get a new team next time. After maybe one good cleaning, you’re stuck with another lack luster cleaning where you have to cone behind and sweep or wipe under the faucets to remove bacteria. I feel stuck in this horrible contract. Unlike the review above, I will have to pay $400 to get out of my contract after suffering through this for almost a year. They refuse to budge even though I’ve sent pictures and clearly provided evidence of the lack of quality. We have decided to pay the stupid $400 and find a dedicated cleaning lady to service our house. Please don’t fall for the initial deep clean trap. They don’t follow through. Here’s a picture of my “deep cleaned master bathroom sink and shower.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

The lady that came out was lovely. She was extremely polite and I would say had complete knowledge on her company. It was a pleasure doing business with her. She even took my garbage out for me and cleaned out a heavy cooker for me.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate your feedback, Gayle! We aim to provide the best service to our customers!

Get buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Could not manage the most rudimentary of tasks (clean bathroom mirror, get rid of shower mold starting to grow, clean floors). Complained after each cleaning and it only got worse. Last straw was cleaner that didn’t touch the stairs, didn’t wipe the kitchen counters and never touched the clearly visible debris (crumbs etc) on the top of my stove. It was so bad it showed up clearly in photographs. They “did me a favor” by letting me out of the contract for just a $99 penalty. You MIGHT have better luck in your city, but DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL THEY HAVE PROVED THEY ACTUALLY CLEAN. Also they were way overpriced.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I used this service for about 8 years. Quality was variable, with dusting being the most inconsistent. Several months ago, I was offered a free fridge-cleaning or oven-cleaning in response to writing a positive review. As soon as I went to Yelp, the first thing it said was not to give a review in exchange for a freebie, so I did not. K. was so rushed that she always left the rotating dish in the micro-wave askew. I wasn't usually at home, but following surgery, I was. I was shocked when K., who had come alone, left after 45 minutes.

The big problem happened when I was still at home. I had asked for the balconies and the inside windows to be cleaned. M. was assigned to the balcony, and was obviously unfit to be doing so. It is unpleasant to listen to someone huff and puff. At some point, I looked up to see M. whispering to K. Turns out she spilled the bucket of water with grime from the balcony onto a rug and onto my white carpet. K. pretty well said "no big deal".

Meantime, K. did a job on the windows so poorly that the streaks she left were worse than when she started. She blamed it on not bringing enough rags. When they left, neither of them advised what would be done about my carpet, my poorly done windows and my equally poorly done balconies. They are a company which advertises that they bring their own supplies. To my annoyance, I went to reach for my just filled paper towel roll to discover they had used them all.

I phoned Merry Maids and they did send someone over who did a much better job. I was very clear that neither K. nor M. were to be inside my home again. Probably my mistake, but I told Tiana (manager) that I would pay to have the carpets shampoo'd. My rationale at the time was that the shampooing was long overdue. The shampoo company came, looked at the stain and put a rider on the agreement that they may not be able to get the stain out. At first I thought they did, but over the ensuing months, the stain (measuring 18 inches by 36 inches) became more visible.

I asked Raymond what they could do about it. He told me to call the carpet shampoo company. I explained that they had agreed ahead of time that the stain was not guaranteed. He then told me to find someone else to do it and they would pay. I phoned 2 companies who advertise that they specialize in stains, but having seen the photograph, neither were willing to come.

My cleaning was scheduled for yesterday, and it was unusual for me to be home. When I opened the door, M. was standing there. I sent them away. Unfortunately, I did not think to ask them to give me my key. This Merry Maids franchise charges my credit card two days before they come. I told Raymond to refund my money, cancel my future sessions and mail my key to work.

For some reason, he wrote to me that they would give me a free cleaning for my troubles. Apparently, he thought it was okay to send M. to my home because she wasn't going to be cleaning, just orienting the new cleaner. That astounded me. It will be interesting to see how long it will take to get the money back to my credit card and get my key to me. New development tonight is that the owner of the new cleaning service knows of a company that specializes in stains. It remains to be seen if Merry Maids will honour Raymond's statement that they will pay to have this stain removed.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I contacted Merry Maids Services about cleaning my home. They provided two women to clean a 4,000 square foot home at $125 per hour. The women were supposed to arrive at 8:00 but arrived at 8:50. They spent 8 hours in my home at that price. They did not clean basement or the hallway in basement, my marble floor in the master bedroom was horrible. I notified the company and she went ahead and charged the full price of almost $1000 dollars. All Gena ** offered was for them to come back and clean the rest. In this point I feel very uncomfortable about having them back in my home.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I hired Merry Maids for a move out cleaning for a client. The home was 2,300 sq. ft & I was quoted $305.00. I thought the price was high; however, they guarantee their work & are bonded. I was never informed this would be a 1 person job & a minimum of 5 hours! The cleaner contacted her mgr, Zach, regarding my displeasure. Instead of Zach calling me, he passed it on to his employee, BJ. The purpose of BJ’s call was to inform me that they do not guarantee a 2 or more person cleaning. BJ was unpleasant, unprofessional & argumentative.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I have used Merry Maids, El Sobrante, to clean my residence for over two years. The cleaning team usually do a decent job. Early on an item was broken but because it wasn't that expensive I did not report this. Usually I put away my valuables but on this one occasion I didn't. My expensive diamond ring was stolen. This was reported but nothing was ever done.

I received a call to advise it was being investigated after they were contacted by the police, however no one ever contacted me regarding a resolution. I thought that since the company was bonded they would do "something" to remedy this. I was even told via correspondence from their insurance company there needed to be an arrest & a conviction. Bottom line the loss was on me. Keep in mind I have used their service every month for 2+ years. Would I recommend their service? A definite "No". Just beware of this company. If they can't stand behind their product/service everyone should be wary doing business with them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We needed to move out of our apartment in Lawrence Kansas and called them to do a clean out for us. They sent a lady to inspect us who I couldn't believe! She strutted around the place with a clipboard sniffing in a superior way as if my apartment was filthy... (It was far from it.. Only normal stuff like dust on the light fixtures, needing vacuuming behind the furniture when we moved it and the like) and spending most of the time telling me what they wouldn't do (Which was a LOT!). Then they gave us a quote that was completely insane. I found someone else who was much more reasonable, they did a good job and I got my deposit back. I have a hard time believing these people can stay in business under the circumstances.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’ve been using Merry Maids for a long time. They're always real professional and do a good job here. They come once a week, and I always get a text message the day before, telling me what time to expect them to arrive. They’ve helped me move light things, and they’ve cleaned the refrigerator. So, they’re responsive with things that they don't normally do. I’m very satisfied.

Merry Maids response

We’re delighted to read your feedback about Merry Maids. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the Perfect service for each customer!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Merry Maids has always done a really nice job for us. I have their service set up such that their ladies come twice a month. In the winter time, we're not at the place where they do service as much, so I have them come once a month. Whoever I speak to on the phone from their office has been wonderful. She always helps me out when I have to change things. Merry Maids also cleans our entire condo building and they have communicated really well with the president of our association. Very seldom do I ever find anything wrong. One time, a part of a mirror wasn't cleaned but they took care of that the next time. I'd recommend their service.

Merry Maids response

Great feedback, Laura! We genuinely appreciate it, and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your service!

Merry Maids author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
      Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
      What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
      Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
      All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
      What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
      How does Merry Maids measure success?
      At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
      The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
      What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
      Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
      Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
      How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
      In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information