Consumer Reviews and Complaints

16%
  • 3 stars19
  • 2 stars5
  • 1 stars16

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The same girl from Merry Maids comes here at the same time every other week and I love it. She’s really a nice girl and we get along well. She does a really good job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids recently came out to do a total house cleaning, and they did a marvelous job. I called at last minute towards the end of the month and they were very helpful in working with me to get this done when I needed it done. The people sent by Merry Maids have been the best cleaning crew they’ve sent yet. In fact, I’ve used them before and never had a real problem with them. I was completely satisfied with their service.

I’ve been very pleased with Merry Maids. I will call them back when I’m getting ready to have company come in like I did. I have multiple sclerosis, and my husband’s great about dusting, vacuuming, but cleaning the house is not something that’s easy to do for either of us, so when we’re having a major company, we have Merry Maids come in, and they clean everything. They get the blinds, the ledges of the windows where the flies have gone to die, and the things that I can’t get to and things that I certainly don’t want sitting there.

I have Merry Maids come and clean every two weeks. They come between 12:30 and 1:00 because I don't want them to come before 12:00. The day before, they come and let me know when they'll be here and they show up on time. The Merry Maids that come here are wonderful. They're very courteous, friendly and helpful. I just love them, and their cleaning is terrific. They do a good job and they have a good attitude about it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I made a one-time schedule and Merry Maids comes every two weeks. The ladies are very professional, and nice. Plus, the cleanliness is perfect.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’re very satisfied with the service of Merry Maids. Cris, our regular girl is very good and conscientious.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve only had two experiences with Merry Maids and they’ve been pleasant so far. They’ve got their own keys to the office so they can let themselves in and out on the set schedule that we’ve already decided on. Their professionals are absolutely wonderful and everything's also been absolutely up to my satisfaction level. I'd recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have a house at Lake Murray and have Merry Maids come and clean it periodically. Their service worked well for us because we're already tired and variable. Their personnel were very efficient and friendly. We're very pleased with their work.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I get Merry Maids' service once a month. Scheduling is good, although sometimes the conversation does not turn out how we discussed and I may get caught at the last second with a professional not showing up. It's all miscommunication with myself and their office, not with the cleaning professional. The cleaning professionals are great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids came this morning and the ladies were on time. They spent all their time doing their tasks and then were gone after an hour and forty minutes. They did a usual good job. We get service once a month and Merry Maids call the day before to remind me that they'll be here in the morning. When they come, they say hello and good morning. They let me know which particular areas of the house they're going to concentrate on and they move that around every visit so everything gets a special treatment over a period of time. They're very professional, friendly, and good about their task. I'm pleased with the cleanliness of our home and it's very well-done. We've had Merry Maids for a few years now. We've stayed with them so we had opportunities for other people to clean the house and we're very satisfied with them.

Merry Maids

All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your MerryMaids cleaning experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and regret the experience you’ve had. We’ll schedule someone from our customer service team to contact you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I was completely blindsided and shocked at the astronomical price I was charged for the first cleaning performed by the Fairfield, CT Merry Maids branch. I received an in-home Service Proposal, met for 15 minutes with the owner and subsequently spoke to a scheduler... 3 opportunities for them to clarify that my first cleaning would cost $510 when my biweekly rate was only quoted to be $175 and at no point did they do that. They told me it would take 3-4 hours but glossed over the end result of the math of 4 hours * $120 (the price inserted in the "House Cleaning - First Cleaning" fee box, which is located right next to the Weekly, Biweekly and Triweekly quotes for ENTIRE CLEANINGS) = $510. When I spoke to them after seeing the charge hit my credit card, they responded that they charge significantly more for the first cleaning because they have to do more.

Well, doing more means it takes longer time, which is already reflected in the 4 hours (vs. typical biweekly of maybe 2). Why do they also have to charge me $63.75 per worker per hour vs. the biweekly rate of $46.38 per hour? Smells like price gouging. The layout of the form and convenient omission of the $510 sticker shock figure from all of my conversations with them not to mention the fact that I never signed the customer authorization line on the service proposal all screams PRICE GOUGING! I am so very disappointed that a business that provides such high quality service (if not for this issue, I would gladly be a loyal biweekly cleaning customer) has to be so shady about their pricing that not only will I not use their services again, but I will tell all my friends not to and write reviews to warn every consumer I can reach on websites like this one NOT TO USE MERRY MAIDS!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids did a wonderful job when I had them do cleaning on a condominium of a deceased relative to get it ready for sale. The cleaning professionals were very polite and nice. I was able to tell them the specific things that I wanted to make sure that they did, and everything was fine. They were very efficient but it was kind of expensive for what it was. I have thought of getting them to my house to do some work but I’m out of $450. It was fine for a one-time cleaning.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am happy with my experience with Merry Maids. My mother's house hadn't really had a good cleaning for a long time and Merry Maids worked real hard to try to get it clean by the time allotted. It was a continuing process. I didn't know how long that we'd be using them then, but the house got a little bit more done every time they were there. They knew my situation where I would drive down to my mother's house for about two hours because I live a hundred miles away. I was there every week to help around, buying groceries and other things. I had to be there when they were there too because one time, my mother kicked them out of the house. She didn't want anybody in the house because she has dementia. We already stopped using them because my mother died a couple of weeks ago.

Hello Andrea,

We sincerely apologize about your experience with your MerryMaids cleaning service! We appreciate your feedback. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you within 48 hours to speak with you in regards to your cleaning experience.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I called the Lutz office to hire them to come out to clean my apartment. This is a small two bedroom, one and a half bath townhome and I didn't want the bedrooms done just the bathrooms, the downstairs and the kitchen. I then left, while my husband stayed home. When I came home later that evening it looked like my house hadn't been touched. They hadn't dusted or vacuumed. The floors were sticky and they hadn't swept the floors before they mopped them. The bathroom fixtures were clean but they weren't all that dirty to start with.

When I called, I was told that the three-hour service would be more than enough time for the girls to get everything done because of the small space they were doing. When I called to complain I was more or less told too bad there was nothing they could do but send out more people at extra cost to redo it, and that I should have opted for the deep cleaning which they never told me about. They also said they'd talk to my husband if they needed more time which they did not. I was sorely disappointed with this service. I worked for them back in the early 90's and they were a great service then. I don't know what happened.

Merry Maids

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I contact Merry Maids 1 week ago. Got an appt. for today 12:30 2 maids at 88.00 an hr. 2 young ladies walk into the Parlor and suddenly complained of it's hot. When they arrived the conditioning was running from outer rooms also Fans. They never got past the inner foyer and I showed them a room. 1 went in air conditioner was running then all of a sudden 1 person say "I've got to call the office and tell them we can't work. Not enough air." Now it is 87 degrees here on Buckroe Beach 12:30. I don't know what to make of this. When there are so many persons out there looking for work these lazy dictating unemployed person are making decisions based on their expectation of how their surrounding should be satisfied. This company actually sent out personnel and told me prior to have air condition running and we did.

Merry Maid has cost us as our business a significant expense today. ** must locate and hire another, a more sufficient and Diligent (of a person) wishing to do what is right, especially to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly. "A conscientious and hardworking clerk" synonyms: diligent, industrious, punctilious, painstaking, sedulous, assiduous, dedicated, careful, meticulous, thorough, attentive, hard-working, studious, rigorous, particular. Never again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had Merry Maids for a while and for the most part, they're pretty good. But, I don't like getting new people because I have to explain things to them over and over again, and that makes me crazy. I tell new people all the time, "Don't lean things on my walls." And I had to repaint a little spot on the wall on the bathroom this last time. Plus, they've broken things and didn't tell me. They put them back and then I find them later. Also, Merry Maids is fully aware of that. Other than that, the team that I've had the last couple of times has been very good, and I like them. I'd recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids

We’re sorry to hear about your recent MerryMaids cleaning experience.

We sincerely apologize and would like to make it up to you. Our team will contact you to speak with you about the experience.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

As background: the presentation I received from Merry Maids when I called them out for a consultation I thought I had found the perfect housecleaning service. They told me that their personnel go through rigorous training and have been “trained to not miss a thing”. I signed up in early April and was totally dissatisfied with them by the end of June. Their pitch is the initial clean is usually $799, however, signing up for a set number of house cleaning in advance would result in a discount of $400, bringing the initial clean to $399. The first cleaning they did was great; however, each cleaning after that was subpar and I had to call them back out to finish the job.

Lisa reviewed their work after one cleaning and you could see it on her face the embarrassment she felt. They had stated they would clean under the beds (I have wood floors). When Lisa looked under the beds and furniture it was covered with dust and things that had been knocked under the furniture by my cats (phone, socks, etc.) The toilets weren’t even cleaned properly. They continued the bi-weekly cleanings, and each time I had to call them back out for their satisfaction guarantee if something were missed.

I finally got fed up with it and spoke with Lisa about cancelling my contract and she told me that she understood and would talk with the owner about releasing me from the contract and not having to pay for the full clean of $799. She assured me that she would let me know what was decided. I thought they would do the right thing and release me from the additional charge of $400 since they had failed to live up to their commitments to me. I received my credit card statement and found that they charged my card the $400 anyway without even notifying me.

Merry Maids is not cleaning company that you can count on even though they pretend to be so. They have pretty much pocketed the $400 which was not earned by them nor did they live up to their commitments. Hopefully others will be warned to at least not trust them at their word by this review. They promise but do not deliver!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids came almost three weeks ago and they did a lovely job. I was getting ready to have a party and the girl that does my work is the same one every time. She does an exceptional job, especially, when she knows that things are gonna be looked up by people. Scheduling the service is easily done. They simply call once a month and make sure it's going to be my advantage on that particular day. When it is not, they will make it convenient for me and not for them, because I have changed dates several times when something came up. They were very gracious about switching time and dates. There were some staff who had been better than others and when I was not pleased, they'd send somebody else. All they have to do is satisfy me and when I wasn't satisfied I let them know and they took care of it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was a good experience having Merry Maids. Their rep knew what she was talking about during scheduling my service. And the quality manager came out and we went room by room and I noted what specific things that I pay attention and close detail to. She made really good notes and they followed it through the first visit. We’ve only had one cleaning that I've seen and we’re really pleased and highly satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We scheduled Merry Maids to come every other Friday. The last cleaning was done pretty well. However, it's never thorough and there are usually a few things that I wish had gotten done, but it's good enough, and having the schedule makes it a lot easier for my family to spend the day before cleaning up clutter. Also, at first, when we had Merry Maids coming, I was a little frustrated because it was different people every time, and I needed to be there to explain things. But now that we've settled into having one person for the last six service times, it's gone more smoothly. It's only a little difficult because I have dogs that freak out if they're cooped up, and I have to take them out of the house and go somewhere. Other than that, they've been great and efficient.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a monthly visit from Merry Maids and it's a really good deal. They are flexible with the times for their service. I usually have a set day, but if I need to switch, I can either call, text, or email them, and they always find a way to squeeze me in or change the schedule if needed. They do a good job. And Amy, the lady who had come in and was the very first one through everything, told me that if they miss something, just let her know and they can always go back and fix it. But, I haven't come across anything that they missed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids is great. They clean my house every other week and do a good job. They are delightable, efficient, and trustworthy. When their cleaning professionals came, I'm not there which is what I like. I let them do their job and I stay out of their way. My house is perfectly clean and I've been happy.

Merry Maids

All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your MerryMaids service experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and regret the experience you’ve had. We’ll schedule someone from our customer service team to contact you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I am a primary caregiver for my Mom. I also have my own health issues, after much thought I needed to look at what I could do to alleviate some of my responsibilities I just couldn't keep up with everything that needs to be done around the house. I reviewed many house maid services and chose this company because of their accreditations. I was so wrong and wondered how they are getting all these positive reviews. The office is in Troy Michigan that I worked with.

First cleaning was suppose to be like a spring cleaning, windows inside, cabinets, floors, furniture moved, base boards, etc. Well half of what was suppose to get done didn't and what was done was lousy work. I made a list and called the office... they wanted to send someone back out but I had no available time that week, due to appts for my mom and myself.

Merry Maids was to come every other week. I was assured that when they came the next time all items not done on the first major cleaning would be done along with the normal cleaning. Well it wasn't, I spoke with the two ladies and they said ok on what was on my list but still didn't do it and again lousy cleaning. Bathroom mirror streaked and still had toothpaste on it, shower doors smeared, half my moms half bath was not done, dusting was partial, kitchen counters, stove, microwave, outside refrigerator handles etc. It was horrible. I was so stressed out. On the phone again with the manager. And the same old song and dance routine.

Third cleaning: unbelievable how do you do a floor and not do corners or molding, how do you leave a mirror streaked and walk away, how do you leave a stove half wiped off, how do you not do all the light switches which is an item I went over with the team every time. I called again with a 20 item list... mind you this was just normal house cleaning services we requested except for wiping down door jams and doors and door handles.

This time the manager herself came out about 30 minutes after I called. Together we walked through this small house 1000 sq ft. She was stunned herself and made the same list I had. Well the same crew of two ladies was sent back out the same day. When these two arrived they had such an attitude with me, I walked them through what was not done and their attitude got worse. "We will take care of it uh huh..." Well let's say they did NOT. I told them to leave my house. Called the manager back. She said "well maybe we need to use different products other than their natural line when they come." Are you kidding me, I told her they don't know how to clean and take no pride in their work.

I keep a clean home, I am a transplant recipient for goodness sake. Well enough of a rant. I fired them after 3 cleanings and have hired another company. I will be writing the owner of Merry Maids a detailed complaint letter with my simple lists of items just not done or done poorly. Wouldn't you think that a bathroom mirror should be clean when you clean it well - that the kind a stuff I was dealing with... just lousy cleaning and I sure did not need all the added stress and follow up.

Merry Maids did a one-time cleaning of my house and they did a very good job. It's $400 dollars and I do it every couple of years. It’s a wonderful feeling afterward knowing that everything are deep-cleaned. However, the cleaning professionals broke a lid of a ceramic jar in the bathroom and put the lid and the pieces in the trash instead of telling me about it (I was at the house at the time). Also, they cleaned the fridge and put the produce they deemed spoiled in the trash and didn’t empty it. It leaked and I had that to deal with at the end of the day. They called and I told them about those issues but they just said “Sorry” and that was it.

Scheduling my services with Merry Maids is easy. My daughter does the scheduling with them and they come on the second Wednesday of the month. They do a good job and I'm satisfied with them so I refer them to my friends. Once in a while I get disappointed in the cleaning of the glass. Whatever they're using, it leaves some streaks on it which I have to clean afterward. But other than that they're very pleasant, friendly and they have a good attitude. A couple of weeks ago, they broke something over here and they were very kind to leave a little note apologizing and letting me know that it was broken and it was an accident. That was very nice and I really appreciated that. I did call Merry maids and we talked about it but I haven’t had any chance to do anything for it because I’m not feeling too well.

Merry Maids come out here once a month. They call me monthly to inform me they'll be here on the same day which I already know but they inform me. They do a good job cleaning.

I have Merry Maids clean my apartment every month. It's always easy to schedule service. The cleaning professionals know their jobs very well. Whatever I ask them to do, they do, and they don't require much supervision. They do clean and beautiful service. I trust Merry Maids and the people they send.

Merry Maids do a good job. I’ve had them for several years so I'm satisfied. They come every weeks unless we have changes. Occasionally, I call the office and remind them of what I want done but that doesn’t happen very often.

I used to have Merry Maids, then I stop and got a one-woman thing. And she retired and I was having special occasions, so I got Merry Maids back and I'm going to continue with them. I wanted their service several weeks in advance and they got it to me exactly when I wanted it. It was great. Also, their staff was very nice, friendly and professional. The house was very clean when they left, which was what I expected.

Merry Maids

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience with MerryMaids cleaning service! We value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have.

Original review: July 19, 2016

Was initially very pleased. Until after about 6 weeks into my 26 week contract I started to see roaches!!! Been in my house for over 8 years never have seen one before. Had to call Orkin to eradicate them. Stay away. These people bring their equipment (vacuum, buckets, etc.) from house to house without cleaning or emptying it before entering your home!!! They only do a good job in the beginning and then do a half-arsed job after that. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere fast.

I'm very pleased with Merry Maids. They send people out every two weeks to do a normal cleaning. Their reps are really nice and they're very good about scheduling. They give me a whole year schedule in advance, and they're really good in working with me if I need to change anything. Most of the time, when the cleaning people they sent come out, I'm not at the house. So, I don't work with them in person very often, but when I do, they're very nice to work with. It's always nice to come home to a clean house.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.
  • Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.
  • Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.
  • Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.
  • Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.
  • Best for Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Question and Answers - Merry Maids

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?

Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.

What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?

Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.

What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.

How does Merry Maids measure success?

At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?

The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?

What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.

Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.

How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?

In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Profile