toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Scheduling a service with Merry Maids was very fine. I wanted all of the floors done, the two bathrooms and then the kitchen, and they did all of that. They came in on time, worked quickly and did it very well. Their reps made sure that they understood what I wanted and then they had me check things when they were done. It was very clean and I was very satisfied. Overall, my experience was great. They're very pleasant and good workers with good results. I scheduled them to come again.

I'm very happy with the service I received from Merry Maids. Everything was very clean and they did a very good job. Scheduling and interacting with their representatives went good as well. Their reps were all very friendly and helpful. They did what they were required and supposed to be doing and anything I've asked them to do or not to do around the house.

Resolution In Progress

Merry Maids

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience with MerryMaids Cleaning service! We value your feedback and the chance to speak with our customers about their experience. We will contact you privately to go over your experience.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I paid close to 200 dollars for Merry Maids to clean my house. They did not clean a lot of what was on the list that they provide. They charged for a deep clean even though I did not need it. The lady insisted they could not clean my house unless I paid for a deep clean. My house is a year old and I'm the only one living here. When I contacted them to express concern and to at least get some of my money back, the lady said, "That's surprising because she usually does a good job". They offered to come back and clean what they missed but I work and do not have time to double check services I pay for. They didn't care if the house was cleaned to their specifications or not. Here is a few things they did not do: sweep under the beds (I do not have things stored underneath), clean glass door, wipe down counters, left water spots on laminate floors, dust window sills.

I called to schedule Merry Maids service. They called me back and asked me a few questions. The rep was able to help me. She explained to me what they can do and the fees. Then, we went from there. Everything went off according to file. They showed up on time and did their shift. There was a lot of work to be done and she did her stuff. I stayed out of her way. It was taking her longer than originally expected so she made a call and someone came down to give her some assistance. Everything was taken care of. It wasn't my home but when they left, everything was fine. I have no complaints. I wouldn't hesitate to call Merry Maids again.

I wanted a one time deep cleaning. Someone came over and did a walk thru with estimate. Upon inspection, much was not done. I have high shelves for pottery collection. Was told all would be cleaned. Did not happen. Upon complaining, I was told they aren't allowed to go higher than a two step ladder. Felt estimator did not know the policies. I had to redo the blinds. They did give me a partial credit, so felt their intentions were good.

Merry Maids has very good customer service. They are very pleasant and are very efficient. They're in and out quickly, and they do a good fundamental clean. They were very helpful. The office was thorough. The rep I worked with was very pleasant and thorough. I've emailed with her back and forth since then. Anyone I've been in contact has been great. As for the cleaning rep, I've had several different people and all of them were very pleasant, and got right to work, and were diligent in working throughout the whole time they were here. They don’t do a deep clean on a regular basis unless you pay for it. So the service that I have is a Merry Maid clean. They come in, and when they leave, it's clean and well-organized. They do what they say they were going to do.

Merry Maids cleaned my house today and I'm more than pleased with the quality of the work. It was their third visit. Nobody cleans like the owner, but these cleaning professionals do a better job than I do. I'm tickled to death. The rep I spoke with when I scheduled my service was very efficient and clear about what they do. The interaction we had was straightforward. I am a straightforward kind of person, so I don’t like a lot of dancing. The rep laid out all the parameters and after the first time, there were a couple of things Merry Maids missed. I brought those to their attention, and the next time, they were done.

Merry Maids sends two girls who are very polite. I'm usually in my garage when they come in. They just bang on the door and I let them in. If they need anything, they call me. The one girl has been here twice, and they’ve changed her assistant every time. The girl who seems to be in charge takes control and gets it done. They do a good job and I've got no complaints. However, I wish Merry Maids’ prices were less.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

A good friend of ours in the West End spoke very highly of Merry Maids. My wife passed away recently and I moved to the East End and it is way too far for the cleaning lady we had for 26 years. So, I contacted Merry Maids' local office. They were very good and very prompt. I like that after they’ve gone, there’s no heavy cleaning solution smell. They use their own products and they're in and out quickly. I was surprised that the last time they were here, a supervisor showed up as well to inspect their work, which obviously keeps everybody on their toes and I much appreciated that.

We had worked with the couple who own Merry Maids in Peterborough when they were owners of another franchise and we found them very credible. Their cleaning professionals were extremely polite and professional. They seem very well trained. I've had other cleaning companies and people but I find Merry Maids just really, really topnotch. I'm perfectly satisfied.

When Merry Maids come to my apartment, I tell them what needs to be cleaned and I let them clean when I go to school. Scheduling is very easy. I just call the number, and it’s always Jessica who runs the call. We agree on a date and then someone from the team sends me a message one day beforehand telling me that they will be arriving the following day at the agreed time. The people that they send over are friendly, and I have no complaints. They would clean everything, and when I come back, everything is clean and shiny. I don’t have to worry about spots being missed. Overall, I’m happy with the service, and would recommend it to a friend.

I've had Merry Maids for about seven years now and I had them twice a month in the beginning, but since I'm retired I can only afford once a month. I have no issues with their pricing and they seemed really comparable. If anything, they're average or not higher than most people. They are very accommodating to come on the last Tuesday of every month and they come and clean all the bathrooms, do all the floors, clean and sterilize the kitchen, and change my bed linen. They're outstanding and I've only had great report and success with them.

They’ve been really wonderful because I have extreme allergies and there were a couple of times that they’ve had cleaners that were very fragrant and it completely triggered my asthma. A couple of times, they had to come back and re-clean to get rid of the smell so I could come back into the house and they did that with no problem. Then the next time, they will put that on my record so that I don’t use that cleanser anymore and they’ve been really good about that. Then when they’ve got a new staff, they accidentally went back to the old cleaner and they made sure that the new people followed through that that never happened again. After they come, the place is always cleaned well. There was one time when the ceiling fans needed to be wiped and when I mentioned it, they came back and went through all the ceiling fans in all my rooms for me extra. My daughter recommended them to me and I have recommended them on to other people.

Merry Maids had a deal where I'd get a break if I signed up for a year. I signed up and their price is very fair. They called and said they can come Monday but I told them I couldn't do it. They asked about the following one but I would be in Boston so I would have to wait until the 23rd. They only come to my village on Mondays so they came out special two weeks ago on a Wednesday so I could get started. We had set up every other week so they made me a nice calendar and it shows me every other Monday.

Two people came and not only were they very friendly, but they got right to work and asked me a couple of questions. When they were done, they made sure we looked through and tell them that we're happy. We talked about a couple of things like what I wanted best for my son’s room. I didn’t even know where to start cleaning that room but they did it. I was thrilled to hear that they were my team because they were so nice, careful, and thorough. They came the second time last Monday. It was so nice yesterday when I got home and my home is clean. The floors were washed and I could see the carpet has been recently vacuumed. It's been a fantastic experience with Merry Maids and I'm happy.

Scheduling my first Merry Maids service was fantastic. They were very helpful and willing to work around my doctor’s visit. The ladies were very courteous, nice and efficient and we were very happy with how they treated our house. I was impressed and have fallen in love with their vacuum cleaner. Once I'm back working and earning money, I would love to purchase something like that. It made our carpets look brand new. However, they could have scrubbed the showers a little bit harder, but I have a feeling they were being conservative with the fact that I was going through treatments, so they were using lighter products that obviously do their job but then not as harsh as something that regularly was used in a household.

They could’ve used something else and made sure that the area had a harder cleaning. I am very sensitive now, so I tend to want to shower more to keep myself really clean. Other than that, they are fantastic and I commend them for doing this for people that are going through stuff like this because every little kindness matters. It's not just the person that’s going through the treatment, it's the whole family that is involved in the process and whatever can lighten their load really makes a huge difference.

I like being able to select availability right away through the Merry Maids' website. And then, I get a call the same day if there was an issue on schedule conflicts and I appreciate that. I've only used them once. They were very thorough and I was satisfied with their service.

I texted Merry Maids because I was having a guest come the very next night and they could get someone right out the next day. That's mostly why I hired them for - they can get people out really soon. I don't have to schedule too much in advance. The other thing I like about them is that they don't demand interaction. I work from home and I have a lot to do so it's nice to just have them come and do their thing. But they're sweet.

They're expensive though. I probably wouldn't have them all the time except if I'm in an emergency. The service was about $50 a girl and they sent three girls. It seemed a lot compared to other people in the area. I have someone that I use about once a month and does a really good cleaning job. She's $20 less an hour. So, it's a little bit easier for me to afford that. Also, Merry Maids did much better the first time than they did the second time where they might have been in a hurry. They left rugs in the wrong place which they didn't do the first time. But the cleaning was great. My experience with them has been convenient and well-done.

Great feedback, Brenda!

We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your MerryMaids Cleaning Service!

Original review: May 7, 2017

I talked to Merry Maids and they impressed me. We've set a standing date and they always show up when they say they are. They’ve been very good, and they go beyond the call. They go through the house and do things I wouldn't even think about doing.

Merry Maids' work is excellent. At the start of the day, I tidy up and I put everything where it belongs then the ladies come in and do their job which is nice. They know what they're supposed to do as I've told them before. They accommodate me by doing the office first because that's where I go and hide so I don't get in their way. If they have anything to say to me, they say it and I will also talk to them on occasion if I need to. I get a nice clean house and I love it.

I had a cleaning service when we lived in Boston. I wanted another cleaning service when we moved so I got Merry Maids which was recommended by other people. I’ve had the same lady clean for 11 years and I've never had anybody else.

I'm pregnant and on bed rest, so it's really hard to get around in the house. Merry Maids has been a really big help. My mother takes care of scheduling for their services. She'd call them and she'll tell me when they're coming. The girls cleaned yesterday. I couldn't describe how much helpful them coming in the house has been. They came on time, did everything I needed, and were very friendly. They'd clean the porch, too. They added that up there. When I lived in New York, I used their service before. From time to time, they send somebody different and so, I'd have to get to know them. Now, I got the same people so that was the good thing about it. On the whole, it was an excellent service.

Merry Maids cleaned my house two weeks ago and it was good. There was one little thing that was left out, but it was cool. Everything was all right and up to standards. I normally do it every week. I can call and set up dates with them. They give me a calendar on what time and date that best work for both of us. And then they come in, they do their job and they leave. They ask how I like certain things and they try to do whatever I asked them to do in the way I prefer. I used to work for Merry Maids in New Jersey. So, I’ve always been aware of them. I have been in a lot of places that used them and didn’t have a problem with them. So I didn’t mind trying them in my home. Overall, my experience was good and I would recommend them.

Merry Maids

We appreciate your feedback, Norma! We aim to provide the best MerryMaids cleaning service for our customers!

Original review: April 25, 2017

In the beginning, I was a little leery to leave them alone in the house. But now, I trust Merry Maids so much that we left the house when they cleaned it and everything was done just how I wanted it. They schedule around us because my husband has got chemo. Their reps are very accommodating to me. It's wonderful. The cleaners have been very good and I've never had any issues with them.

I have a schedule of Monday every two weeks with Merry Maids so they come automatically then. But for instance that it's a holiday here in Massachusetts, they email me prior that and inform me that they would be working. They don't work on Thanksgiving and Christmas but they called me and emailed in advance to let me know that they would be working and they will be coming out to do the cleaning. Then, they showed up and did the cleaning. They also have a supervisor that comes periodically to make sure that everything is done according to what they need to do. The staff and the cleaning folks are very professional. They come with a book with specifications and they follow it. Also, the house is pretty clean. We can tell the difference when they come and go. They have a good track record and we are very happy. I haven't had a problem and I'm quite pleased with them.

Merry Maids come and clean the house every two weeks, and they auto bill through credit card. They leave a note with their names and what they've cleaned and the section that they will do next time. They’re very easy to work with. The only requirement I have is that they come and finish before 5. They haven’t missed any days. We did one rescheduling just because of a holiday and they did a good job with that.

My daughter recommended Merry Maids and I have used their services twice. The first it was a mother and daughter. They did a very good job. I called to confirm if the second group was coming and the rep said, "It's my day off and I'm just calling you as a service queue and I'll look into it and get back to you." So, I was told that they will be here between 11:00 and 12:00. I have serious back problems on that particular Saturday so I decided that I was going to treat myself to lying in bed and relaxing. But, it's 9:05 and my doorbell's ringing. It was Merry Maids.

I am not a stupid woman. I called to confirm the time and they said, "Who did you speak to?" I'm so annoyed that I have to now rush up and down the stairs. It took about 10 minutes before they started. They said they need about two hours, the first time they said they need three. My daughter who uses them in New Jersey said, "Mom, the first time they're really extensively cleaning, let them do." So I pointed out two things I needed them to do that was not on the first time which is what my child informed me I should do. At 11:10 they said, "Okay, we're fine. You want to look around?" I did and at the front door there were all kinds of specks. I said, "Well, did you vacuum here?" When they put that throw rug down, there must have been stuff from the bottom of the rug. That’s not my problem so they vacuumed it.

Also, I specifically have a whole thing of toys in the den. I pulled them all out and I said, "Well, I'm not saying that you didn't but I can still see pieces of paper and pieces of whatever." I also told them to vacuum under for the wing chair. I'm giving them hundreds of dollars to clean my house. I live alone and so it isn't a dirty house. But, I had to go back and tell them and I got a little attitude. It was 11:10 so that's also when they were short changing me 10 minutes to start out. They were not inexpensive. I expected an outstanding incredible experience so that I would continue using them but I didn't get it. So, I did not book again.

Merry Maids

Thank you, Tom! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the MerryMaids cleaning service you needed.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Our place hasn’t really been cleaned much before. I was getting ready to sell and wanted it to look really nice. It was a little bit too much for me. I scheduled a service with Merry Maids online and they contacted me right away. The girl came within the week and was very pleasant. She went through it, took her time and got it all in tip-top shape. She did a great job and now, it's way better than before.

My experience with Merry Maids was fine. They've been quite accommodating so I'm satisfied with the service. They came prepared and they know what to do. I didn't interact with them that much but they were nice to my dog and everybody was happy. I had a cleaning service before and it was comparable. However, in our area, I get comments that Merry Maids charge much higher than other cleaning companies. But, the scheduling, the cleaning lady and the overall service were good.

Scheduling for Merry Maids' service was fine. There were usually two girls who would come, same time every two weeks. They did a very good job today. Both girls were very efficient. One of them was Dee and I prefer to have her every time. I really appreciate her. She's a friendly and wonderful cleaning person. As long as we're getting her, our house is always very satisfactorily cleaned. She a very nice person into the bargain.

We needed to use Merry Maids for some cleaning in our school for an event. I looked up the number online. I called and they called me right back and set up a time. Someone from the office had come and looked at our facility because we were a unique situation. It was not like a home cleaning, so he evaluated it and told us how long he thought it would take, gave me a rough estimate, and then we scheduled it from there. The cleaners came on time, were very professional, and were very easy to work with. They were wonderful. They were also friendly and did their job well. The area was very clean and we were very happy with them. I would use Merry Maids again.

We have Merry Maids once a week and they do a fine job. Their reps leave messages to remind me of the appointment. I had one conversation with them when we had a less than satisfactory cleaning and they responded within the day. We noticed sometimes they spend two hours, sometimes one, and there's a difference in quality when they spend more time. It's inconsistent though overall, I have not made complaints about it.

I am very happy with my experience with Merry Maids. My maid is a 25-year old lady and I'm an older woman and a grandma and she reminds me of one of my grandchildren. She cleans everything and does a very efficient job. I don't have to lift a little finger and it's wonderful. She's a very sweet, lovely, young girl and I’m very comfortable with her and being a senior citizen living alone, it’s important to me who comes in and out of my home. She sets up the schedule automatically every Wednesday morning and she shows up somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00. She comes every two weeks and then I put it on my credit card and it’s very easy.

I would recommend Merry Maids. They come every two weeks and they're always on time. I always get at least one of the same girls which I requested and they call me if for any reason my regular girls aren't available. They know exactly what to do with my house and if they ever find anything like a little spot on the wall or something on the floor, they always point it out to my attention. They are courteous and polite. They do a great job and they're very flexible, too. There are a couple of rooms I don't have them do but when I have company who will stay in that bedroom, they work on it. Occasionally I have to change the date and they're flexible on that, as well. They also call me a couple of weeks ahead of time before a holiday so I don’t have to remember that I gotta call them.

The people from Merry Maids automatically come every other Monday. I have a pre-set schedule for their service, but generally, for the scheduling, I pick the times when I want them to come and then if I need to change then I can call their office for it. I have the same girls all the time, and they're all great. It's been that way for a long time. They come in and do the cleaning. They vacuum and the usual stuff. I don’t have any heavy lifting for them to do. They're very thorough.

Question and Answers - Merry Maids

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?

Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.

What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?

Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.

What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.

How does Merry Maids measure success?

At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?

The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?

What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.

Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.

How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?

In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Profile