Get a Free Quote
  3. Cleaning Services
Accredited Partner

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.38/5

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Gallery (1)
View More View More

Merry Maids Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 14, 2019

The girls at Merry Maids are wonderful. They come on time and they are very pleasant and cooperative. They finish up and they’re gone before I know it. They do a great job and I really am very happy with them. The first cleaning that I had was called the Spring Cleaning and that was excellent, They went through this place and it was cleaner than when I moved in, because I moved in to a senior community and I have a studio apartment. Then the last time they were here was for a regular cleaning and they did a beautiful job, too. I can’t complain at all. I’m 91 and I’m short, so I can’t reach some of those high places that they reach like the top of the refrigerators.

The lady that came set up my appointments and I got a whole schedule here that I put on my big calendar. They’re coming every four weeks which is fine with me. I also told several people up here about Merry Maids to help them get organized and unpack from their moving. In fact, I have a friend and I told her about Merry Maids. I hope she calls. She really needs help and that’s a great service.

Merry Maids response

Great feedback, Anne! We genuinely appreciate it, and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your service!

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

It has been about three months now since we got Merry Maids' service, and they do such a beautiful job. I had to use a cleaning service since I had been sick for a really long time, and I have some disabilities. My mom, who lives with us, has disabilities, too. And the house was just in rough shape. I've used people off Craigslist, but I had a bad experience.

When I called Merry Maids, they had a plan that was incredibly affordable where they come in and do a deep clean. Having the service helps me, as I won’t constantly have to struggle to keep my home clean. They come out every other week, and our house is always beautiful when they leave. We have things that had been stained for years, and they got those clean. Also, they’re always really respectful to my family, my pets and my home. I've been getting the same people every time, except the last time when it was a different team, but I’m still so pleased.

One of the big things is that I have pets, and another is that the ladies are able to work within my allergies. I'm allergic to bleach fumes and Merry Maids have products that are able to work with that. Also, the ladies that have come in seem really happy. I’d like to believe that it means that they’re happy with their employer. It’s important for an employer to treat their employees well. I have recommended Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Crystal, thank you for taking the time to share your Merry Maids experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying your new service!

Original review: June 10, 2019

Debbie, the lady from Merry Maids, comes every other Tuesday. She’s very pleasant and gets along with the dogs. She brings dog treats. She does an excellent job cleaning and she always calls before she comes. She’s always on time, and anything extra like window seals, she’ll do that if I tell her. She’s really good. Scheduling our services with Merry Maids has always been good. I had quit at one point. I didn't think I needed it. Then, I called to get the same lady back, specifically, and they changed my days, which was fine. She’s never been sick. Once, it was a holiday, and they rescheduled to a date of my choice, so it’s a very good service. Sometimes, the rep who works at the office is difficult to understand, which isn’t her problem. She doesn't speak English very well, and she speaks very softly. I would highly recommend Merry Maids, and especially Debbie.

Merry Maids response

Great feedback, Janet! We genuinely appreciate it, and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your service!

Original review: May 11, 2019

The service from Merry Maids is very good and I'm very satisfied. I typically have the same primary person that comes out. She knows the house and she’s very thorough. We have two dogs so I know it’s challenging for them at times. But they take those rooms that they specialize in or do deep cleaning and for the other ones, they do the more high-level cleaning. They stay busy the whole time but I engage in conversation with them since I’m always here when they’re in the house and it's good conversation. They're really nice people. They’re also always on time and super friendly when they’re here. They're very thoughtful too, when they’re unloading and loading while I’m on conference calls. I work from home so it’s very easy for scheduling. They just let me know what day they’re coming back out and I let them write it on the paper when they leave. It’s hassle-free. They do four weeks out and if there’s ever an issue, I call and reschedule.

Merry Maids response

We’re delighted to read your feedback about Merry Maids. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the Perfect service for each customer!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I hired an individual a couple of months ago instead of Merry Maids. She was just getting her business started. I told her the things that I wanted like I wanted to be able to notice that the floor is clean. I have animals and dusting was a big thing. So I went to the house after she was done and I couldn't tell that she was there. The table wasn't done, there's dust everywhere and the floor looked like it still had footprints on it. I cleaned the house and when I was done, you can tell everything's been wiped off.

But then with Merry Maids, I've only had one visit and it has been wonderful so far. The rep was awesome, he went through and explained a lot of things including stuff I didn't even know to ask. I never got to meet the person cleaning, but I felt very comfortable with the individual because the rep talked about how they do background checks on people. And when I walked in, I was like, “Wow!” I'm OCD about stuff and it looks like I did it. Big difference. I was very happy and satisfied.

Merry Maids response

Thank you, Amanda! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I’ve had Merry Maids for about a year. Initial deep clean was amazing! I was so excited even though one of the ladies broke my husband’s collectible Hank Aaron statue. Once the biweekly cleanings began, EVERYTHING changed. COMPLETE opposite. Basic wipe down. Cleaning is inconsistent, depending on who they send. It’s been a very stressful experience as I’ve had to sit home each time and follow behind people to make sure things are actually cleaned. Many of the ladies are NOT happy in their job and you can tell. When you complain, the manager basically justifies the cleaning, offers to change the team, but refuses to make any concessions on letting us out of this awful contract.

I’ve sent pictures of coffee and liquid stains on my kitchen counters IMMEDIATELY after a the cleaning only to get a new team next time. After maybe one good cleaning, you’re stuck with another lack luster cleaning where you have to cone behind and sweep or wipe under the faucets to remove bacteria. I feel stuck in this horrible contract. Unlike the review above, I will have to pay $400 to get out of my contract after suffering through this for almost a year. They refuse to budge even though I’ve sent pictures and clearly provided evidence of the lack of quality. We have decided to pay the stupid $400 and find a dedicated cleaning lady to service our house. Please don’t fall for the initial deep clean trap. They don’t follow through. Here’s a picture of my “deep cleaned master bathroom sink and shower.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

The lady that came out was lovely. She was extremely polite and I would say had complete knowledge on her company. It was a pleasure doing business with her. She even took my garbage out for me and cleaned out a heavy cooker for me.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate your feedback, Gayle! We aim to provide the best service to our customers!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Could not manage the most rudimentary of tasks (clean bathroom mirror, get rid of shower mold starting to grow, clean floors). Complained after each cleaning and it only got worse. Last straw was cleaner that didn’t touch the stairs, didn’t wipe the kitchen counters and never touched the clearly visible debris (crumbs etc) on the top of my stove. It was so bad it showed up clearly in photographs. They “did me a favor” by letting me out of the contract for just a $99 penalty. You MIGHT have better luck in your city, but DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL THEY HAVE PROVED THEY ACTUALLY CLEAN. Also they were way overpriced.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I used this service for about 8 years. Quality was variable, with dusting being the most inconsistent. Several months ago, I was offered a free fridge-cleaning or oven-cleaning in response to writing a positive review. As soon as I went to Yelp, the first thing it said was not to give a review in exchange for a freebie, so I did not. K. was so rushed that she always left the rotating dish in the micro-wave askew. I wasn't usually at home, but following surgery, I was. I was shocked when K., who had come alone, left after 45 minutes.

The big problem happened when I was still at home. I had asked for the balconies and the inside windows to be cleaned. M. was assigned to the balcony, and was obviously unfit to be doing so. It is unpleasant to listen to someone huff and puff. At some point, I looked up to see M. whispering to K. Turns out she spilled the bucket of water with grime from the balcony onto a rug and onto my white carpet. K. pretty well said "no big deal".

Meantime, K. did a job on the windows so poorly that the streaks she left were worse than when she started. She blamed it on not bringing enough rags. When they left, neither of them advised what would be done about my carpet, my poorly done windows and my equally poorly done balconies. They are a company which advertises that they bring their own supplies. To my annoyance, I went to reach for my just filled paper towel roll to discover they had used them all.

I phoned Merry Maids and they did send someone over who did a much better job. I was very clear that neither K. nor M. were to be inside my home again. Probably my mistake, but I told Tiana (manager) that I would pay to have the carpets shampoo'd. My rationale at the time was that the shampooing was long overdue. The shampoo company came, looked at the stain and put a rider on the agreement that they may not be able to get the stain out. At first I thought they did, but over the ensuing months, the stain (measuring 18 inches by 36 inches) became more visible.

I asked Raymond what they could do about it. He told me to call the carpet shampoo company. I explained that they had agreed ahead of time that the stain was not guaranteed. He then told me to find someone else to do it and they would pay. I phoned 2 companies who advertise that they specialize in stains, but having seen the photograph, neither were willing to come.

My cleaning was scheduled for yesterday, and it was unusual for me to be home. When I opened the door, M. was standing there. I sent them away. Unfortunately, I did not think to ask them to give me my key. This Merry Maids franchise charges my credit card two days before they come. I told Raymond to refund my money, cancel my future sessions and mail my key to work.

For some reason, he wrote to me that they would give me a free cleaning for my troubles. Apparently, he thought it was okay to send M. to my home because she wasn't going to be cleaning, just orienting the new cleaner. That astounded me. It will be interesting to see how long it will take to get the money back to my credit card and get my key to me. New development tonight is that the owner of the new cleaning service knows of a company that specializes in stains. It remains to be seen if Merry Maids will honour Raymond's statement that they will pay to have this stain removed.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I contacted Merry Maids Services about cleaning my home. They provided two women to clean a 4,000 square foot home at $125 per hour. The women were supposed to arrive at 8:00 but arrived at 8:50. They spent 8 hours in my home at that price. They did not clean basement or the hallway in basement, my marble floor in the master bedroom was horrible. I notified the company and she went ahead and charged the full price of almost $1000 dollars. All Gena ** offered was for them to come back and clean the rest. In this point I feel very uncomfortable about having them back in my home.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
    Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
    What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
    Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
    All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
    What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
    How does Merry Maids measure success?
    At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
    The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
    Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
    What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
    Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
    Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
    How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
    In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information