Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Video
Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1111 Merry Maids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Merry Maids comes every month and they're consistent. They keep my home nice and clean. My home is spotless and it's good as I could do. We have our appointments on a rotating basis and it works perfectly. They're very friendly and if there's a mistake or a problem, they correct it immediately. I would highly recommend them to anyone who didn't wanna spend all their time cleaning.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We have a small office, two bathrooms, a little kitchenette area and a meeting room, and we have no problems with Merry Maids. They come in once a month and if they can’t come because we are in a bad snow zone, they let us know ahead of time. They are always very polite, nice and clean, and they leave the place clean. The cleaning professionals are very nice women. I’d recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Before deciding to use Merry Maids, I did an online search and a price comparison. Then finally, I asked my friend who uses Merry Maids. So far, I've had three cleanings and it's been easy to schedule the visits. We've done everything over the phone. Then when they come to the house, we greet them and vice versa. On the first couple of times, they asked us if there was any specific area that they needed to focus on. On the last one, our interaction was a little bit quicker. They just said hello and got to work. But that was fair. On the first two visits, their service was really solid. But the last one was not as great. We ended up leaving during the cleaning. We had to run an errand and we told them we were gonna be taking off. When we came back, we weren't 100% sure if they did the floors downstairs or not. But it was wet outside and maybe some stuff got tracked in. And overall, the service has been really good.

Merry Maids response

Thank you for contacting The Merry Maids Social Media Department. After reviewing your e-mail, we have found that more information is needed to assist. Please send an e-mail socialsupport@merrymaids.com. Explaining briefly what type of service you have with Terminix as well as your specific concerns or questions, and we will make sure that your concerns are address promptly.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I've been with Merry Maids for five years and have them on a routine schedule. Their cleaners have been very nice and personable. Plus, the quality of their work has been excellent. Their recent visit went very well. They arrived when they were scheduled to be here, worked very efficiently, and everything seemed to have been taken care of as it was supposed to be. Although it would be better for me if Merry Maids isn't quite as expensive, they are excellent.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I arranged Merry Maids because I was having a surgery and they came out and gave me a rate for any length of time I was interested in. I had them come every two weeks and after I recovered from my surgery, I switched them to once a month, except during holidays. I'm on a standing schedule and when I have changes that I need to talk to the reps, they're always courteous. They call me the day before each visit to confirm I'm waiting for them and we love the fabulous person who comes to do our house and we request her always, so she's the only one who comes. We're very happy with Merry Maids and we've been using them for two years now. I would like them to be less expensive, but it's the case of you get what you pay for. They're the best I've had and I've had many private people doing my home.

Merry Maids response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Scheduling with Merry Maids is very easy. I’m pretty flexible with time, so I call them the week before and they always send the same people. Their cleaning professionals are quite respectful. I have a big dog and I have a cat who’s afraid of anybody new in the house, and they do very well with both of them. They're extremely trustworthy and very consistent, which I’ve sometimes had trouble with other cleaners in the past.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've been working with Merry Maids for six months now and their service has been excellent thus far. I've been very happy with it. They come out once a month to do general cleaning - floors, bathroom, dusting - and they get right to work and work hard. One of their professionals was here yesterday and she did a wonderful job. She stayed for a long time and cleaned the entire house. I'd recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

It's very easy scheduling a service with Merry Maids. I call up and I set a time, and they either agree to the time or not. And they come every other week at that particular time. I've been using them for close to two years now and I’m very satisfied with the service as is. The place is nice, clean and even smells delightful.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Merry Maids comes in every last Thursday of the month and it's automatic. I have the same professional people come each time and recently they came in, did their job, said goodbye and left. It was simple and the house was a lot better than before.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

For the first couple of weeks no problem. Gave them lock combination with detailed instructions which they used with no problem. Last week did not show up. When they finally answered the phone the manager said she was at a conference but said they did show up and tried to contact me by telephone and text. Never received any phone calls or text. Following Monday e-mailed me and said they were terminating our contract because they had three employees quit the previous week. Left me high and dry. If you have three employees quit in one week that speaks to management and the company. Most companies try to do everything they can to keep customers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I’ve used Merry Maids for a couple of years and used the same house cleaners a couple of times. It's decent and it's just made it easier. When scheduling services with them, I usually call them and they dispatch to the local office here. Their cleaning professionals were very nice and they know exactly what they’re gonna do. When I opted for some deep clean one time, I felt good about it. If they moved something out of place, they would call right away. They're very thorough and reputable.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Merry Maids come to my apartment every four Thursdays. They contact me the day before just to remind me that they’re coming out which I really like. They work around my schedule because my working hours are odd. They come early in the morning and by the time I get home late in the morning, they’re already done in and out and I can go to bed. But I leave them a note and they too leave me one afterwards. I’m very satisfied with their quality of work. They vacuum and mop the floors, and everything is dusted and clean. They also put things back exactly the way they were. Merry Maids is awesome and reliable. I've recommended them to numerous people.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Scheduling a service with Merry Maids was not difficult at all. Their cleaning professionals were very good and showed up on time. They asked if I wanted the inside of the refrigerator cleaned. I said no. I also did not want them to clean the inside of the microwave nor to wash the dishes. That was a bit of an overkill.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I used Merry Maids one time and it was convenient. I felt like the information that I conveyed to the person that I spoke with was shared with the people who came to provide the service and they knew what I needed to be done and what I was looking for already, so I didn’t have to go over that again. They had communicated that they were gonna be a little late, but it was totally fine. They were friendly and they did a good job. There were a few things that I kinda had my eye out for but they were pleasant. They did everything that I had hoped they would and I was very happy with the service. I would hire them again and I would recommend them to other people. I am glad that somebody recommended them to me.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My experience with Merry Maids is positive. We've been using them for almost a year now. I'm scheduled for once a month for certain dates and the cleaning crew is excellent. They're very nice girls and I'm very pleased with Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for about 11 years now. I started with them when my mother was with me. She was ill and I didn't have too much time for housework. Now, I am getting a little older and there are some things that I used to do more thoroughly than I do now. It's nice to have them do those so I'm nice and tidy. Usually, I like the service set on a Monday because that's a good day for me. So they schedule me on Monday, which is convenient, unless I have something unusual come up. Then they are very gracious about changing the date for me. Normally, they will because they know I have animals so I like to be up and ready. On the Friday before, they will text me approximately what time to expect whoever is coming. So the scheduling is very good.

When the ladies come out, they are always very personable and pleasant. At this point in time, I know so many of them that it's always a pleasure to see them and catch up a little bit. We chat a little bit as they work and they're careful of my animals. They're also always good if I put a doubt about using a certain product and they're very gracious if there's any cleaning product that I prefer. They certainly do the work that they are sent to do and when they're done, the house looks lovely. I'm very well satisfied with them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The rep from Merry Maids and I worked out the schedule and they sent a calendar for the entire year. I feel happy and I’ve had them twice. The first time, there was only one woman, Desiree, and she cleaned everything well. I was shocked that she had done such a good job. It was fantastic. Two weeks later, she came with someone who was new and they did what they were supposed to do. They swept, mopped and vacuumed the floor. They come out twice a month or every other week.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We have used the West Des Moines Iowa Merry Maids service several times. We had them come back for a redo once. Unfortunately the last trip they broke a wine flute glass. They said, "No problem send us the bill." We submitted it 2 mos.ago. Still no payment. We will look for a new maid service. Beware, keep your expensive things up high. A Spanish interpreter will be needed as well.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I’m a full-time caregiver for my husband with Alzheimer’s and so I try to schedule a service with Merry Maids when I take him out for a ride. It would upset him if somebody was there cleaning. Last time, he wasn’t feeling well, so we just shut the bedroom door and stayed in there. Interacting with the reps was very convenient and friendly. The follow-up was good. I got a report when the rep was on her way and so, it was professional and responsible. I told them what my expectations were and she did everything. If there was anything that I wanted to do differently, I would still feel free to tell her. The level of cleanliness was good and I would recommend.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Our experience with Merry Maids has been fantastic and we have had them for years. Everybody loves our team leader, Linda. The dog loves her too. She is an excellent cleaner and we could not be happier. Years ago, I wanted to change my cleaning day and Merry Maids said they would do that for me but they could not guarantee we would have Linda. So, I never changed because I told them I have to have Linda. The people though cannot have Linda because I got her but the rest of them are good too. Merry Maids is well worth it. There were a couple of times that we had to reschedule and it was easy to do it. They have an excellent cleaning service. They are professional and have really been good. Our home is clean once they are done with the service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Merry Maids is on a schedule to come and they have been coming for quite a while. Their cleaning professionals are very friendly and easy to talk to. They seemed to be here when they say they were gonna be here. They come in, do their stuff and do anything we want. We’re very happy with them. They do very well and everything looks nice when they leave.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had Merry Maids twice and in both times, their timing was perfect. They also did exactly what they said they would. The first time I had Merry Maids, it was for the entire house and they did a superb job. The second time, they did a great job for the majority of it but there were a couple of little spots I noticed. Nevertheless, their staff was friendly, nice and kind.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I had Merry Maids in my other house for about 10 years. In Sedona, I had them for a year and now here, for two months. I just moved in and needed their service. The house wasn't totally cleaned up so I had a big clean-up and now, they come every other week. Scheduling for their service has been fine. It’s nice to have the same people come and I prefer that. I like the services better here and have recommended them to others. They use different products than they did in Sedona. Sedona had a chemical odor and even in the winter, we had to open windows and fans for an hour. It was really strong. But I don’t have that problem here.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Merry Maids was here Wednesday and they fixed the rugs, did the dusting, moved the things out of the shelves and did the rest of the house. They do a good job and if I ask them to do something else, they're willing to do it. They're also very nice and polite.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Please save your money and never use Merry Maids or their parent company Service Masters! Both their individual and corporate customers service departments have been unresponsive and neglectful. What started as a thoughtful gift from my parents to help a mom working full-time deep clean her upstairs where someone is always sleeping between her two small children napping and her nightshift-working husband sleeping has turned into a frustrating, time-consuming service nightmare.

It started with an online request followed by 3 phone calls before I could reach someone to actually schedule the service, continued onto the single hour of minimal cleaning while being charged for 3 hours of deep cleaning. Then having them take our gift cards but still charge our credit card, and went straight through to the lack of service recovery with no one returning my calls. I will never allow them into my home again and will now be working an extra 10 hour shift to pay for the “cleaning.”

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I had Merry Maids clean my daughter’s house, and the quality of their work was excellent. I talked to the cleaners when they were at the house and they were wonderful. They worked and they were busy doing their stuff, but they were very pleasant. They talked to me if I asked them something, and they were both really sweet ladies.

With Merry Maids, sometimes you don’t know if you’ll get the same people. You can request the same person, but it doesn’t guarantee you’ll get them. And so, that would be the only thing that might be a hindrance to Merry Maids. I know a lot of people who like having the same person all the time. They like knowing who their house cleaner is, and if she’s coming every week or every month. Still, I would never hesitate not to recommend Merry Maids. They’re a good company. The manager I spoke with was really fair and very nice.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have Merry Maids clean for me twice a month and I have been using their services for three years. There have been several times where I had to change and they have been very gracious and helpful in working around my schedule. The cleaning professionals they send out are excellent and I have been pleased with them. They are very businesslike, friendly and they get the job done. I am very happy with Merry Maids and the cleanliness in my home is excellent. I always recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Merry Maids come once a month or otherwise, I call them more often. They clean my house, bring the products and do everything I ask them to. When I come home, the place is great. Merry Maid's fabulous and I'm very happy I found them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I started with Merry Maids last fall and I have someone come once a month. I’m very attached to this one cleaner so I always pick the same day of the week because that’s a good day for her. I call about two weeks ahead of time, so it works out great. She’s very good at cleaning and her personality is delightful. Also, the people who run Merry Maids here in Holyoke, Massachusetts are very nice. We love the woman who comes and cleans but even at that, the experience with the office is a good part of why we continue to use the service. In fact, I recommended them to several people in the area especially for entertaining. Their most recent visit was to do our windows and that was amazing. It was a father and son team and they were very nice people. They did it quickly and efficiently and our windows are great. We have a lot of windows and they did a wonderful job. I was very impressed.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Merry Maids has been consistently very good for us and the recent visit, like all the ones in the past, was great. We’re on a regular set-up but on the few times that we’ve had to move the date a little bit one way or the other, they were very accommodating. We also always know who's coming. We have the same crew every time. We know them and they treat us well so we’re very happy with them. What we like most about Merry Maids is the consistency. The degree of cleaning, the cleanliness, the personnel and the timing are very consistent from visit to visit, and it's nice to be able to count on that. We're pleased all the way around and we'd highly recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information