4.69/5
Based on 275 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Video
Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 15, 2018

949 Merry Maids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 15, 2018

I have Merry Maids coming once a month on a regular basis. Initially, they came around and did an estimate for me and asked me what I wanted to be done. They told me how long it would take and gave me a price on it. They have a program where it costs less to get the service for two years than if I get it once in a while. I signed up for two years, and then they determined the rate and charge me that monthly. The cleaning professionals have been excellent. They do a very good and they're very cheerful and very pleasant. I would recommend Merry Maids. The service might be a little more expensive than getting a private person coming around. But they're all bonded and they're all trained well and they use natural products. So, I'm happy with them.

Merry Maids response

Heather, We're happy to hear that you had such a great experience! Thank you and have a great day!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 13, 2018

Merry Maids scheduled the service and it was a very good experience as well as the interactions with the cleaning professionals. But one of them was a big girl who got too enthusiastic with her vacuum cleaner and damaged one of our lampshades. Merry Maids had it repaired and charged to them so I’m quite happy with it. Merry Maids is reasonable and the girls are friendly and efficient. They were also prompt and they phoned us up to say when they were going to arrive. They went in and in half an hour, they were almost done. We were very pleased with their efforts cleaning the house and very satisfied with Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

We much appreciate this feedback, Bryan! Thanks so much and have a beautiful day!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Our house was a huge mess before the Passover holiday. So, we had Merry Maids come in and help us do the basic cleaning so we wouldn't have to do it for the holiday. My mother called them and she had no problem setting up appointments. However, there was an accidental sign out. I looked at a number incorrectly and I had to call them back and they said that they were there an extra half hour. I called right away and they were very helpful and very accommodating, so the experience was great.

Two women came out and they were great and really nice. If they had a question, they asked and they weren't mean about it. They were efficient and effective and they were great. Although there were a couple of things that maybe they didn't think about, that maybe we should've specified. But they did a great job. They went in the couch cushions and picked those up. We had other cleaning services in the past where they would spend their time organizing stuff on a desk, so we made a comment, "Please don't waste your time on that." They listened and cleaned everything else. They really used their time well. And it was great knowing that they could understand because sometimes we have that language barrier.

Merry Maids response

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding members of the team. Have a great day!

Original review: April 7, 2018

My wife and I live in a four-bedroom house. All my children have moved out, and my wife and I work a lot and travel, and we couldn't get the little things done. I called Merry Maids and worked with Jose and Arjoe. I'm set up on a bi-weekly visit so they come out every other Thursday, which is before trash day, and it works out. People come when I'm at work and they leave before I get home.

The first time someone came, a handwritten note was left of what was covered and what was going to take more time to get to the end of. I thought that was personal and I really liked that. On the other hand, they lost my key. Until we can set up a time for them to come and go rekey the house, I have to remotely let them in through my app and let them in through the garage. It's a pain, but it is what it is.

Also, the young lady who came out the first time gathered all of my remote controls and dusted them and put them on my TV cabinet. It took me three days to find them because I normally leave them either on the footstool or on the table beside my chair. So for three days, I was controlling the TV by hand. But then I called and I finally found my remote. I'd tell others to give them a try and see if it fits them. Some people are skeptic about having people in their house when they're not there. But I am not. There's nothing in the house that can't be replaced, and I don't fear anything ever being stolen nor misplaced.

Merry Maids response

Harry, thank you for sharing your Merry Maid experience. Have a beautiful day!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had built a suite and I was coming to move in. I called Merry Maids and they were flexible enough to make space for me on quite short notice, which was great for me. Also, the price is standard across the industry. The rep whom I spoke with was friendly, helpful and efficient. I wasn't on site so I gave the dispatcher instructions and the cleaning professionals did their work. The cleaners' work was great and it was what I asked for. It was an entirely positive experience and I'd use Merry Maids again if I have a need.

Merry Maids response

Geoff, We appreciate you sharing your experience. Have a great day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: April 1, 2018

The one or two girls Merry Maid sends every two weeks were very polite, very clean and they did a good job. Everything's great. Go with them.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: March 31, 2018

Scheduling with Merry Maids has been automatic every other Monday. They call to confirm or send an email, and they come in and they do their job pretty well. I stay out of their way and I greet them and say goodbye, but then I move from space to space so they can do what they need to do. A week ago on Monday, they showed up on time, did what they were supposed to and left.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Merry Maids' service is way too expensive but they have been fabulous. They clean my northern home and I've been using them for a year and a half now. My experience with then has been wonderful. A couple of times I haven’t been a happy with them but that’s with anything they do. They come out every two weeks and scheduling a service with then has been great. They provide some date options and I just say "Yes". Their reps have been very polite, kind, and very efficient. I hooked them up with lots of people.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2018

Scheduling a service with Merry Maids is simple and they get right back to me if it's after hours. I'm usually at work when they come, so my husband has his friend come by and unlock the door for them. Although they did the first time, they don't normally call beforehand. Recently, they came back to do a second cleaning and addressed an issue they had the first time, wherein they missed a lot of dusting as well as the floors in the bathroom. The manager also came to do these things that were missed.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: March 28, 2018

My one experience with Merry Maids was when I hired them for two hours. I had had the company since December and needed someone to come in and help me because I have a bad back and couldn't get all the mopping done. The first time the service was scheduled, we had snow and they couldn't get here. So we scheduled it for the following Saturday and they arrived on time.

I had them do the floors, the windows downstairs, and the downstairs bathroom. I had a list made up for them and they complied with everything on it. They did an awesome job and were really nice people. I stayed out of their way and let them do their job and they did an excellent one for me. They did some organizing too. Although I would prefer the money to be a little bit less, they earned their money because I really needed the help at the time and they got all that I needed done. They're very professional and I have already recommended them to a couple of people. They're well worth it and I would do it again.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 27, 2018

Merry Maids is fantastic. So far, they’ve been able to stay with my schedule. We’ve had to modify it a couple of times but it's worked out well. I got a good pair of women that come over there and clean my place now. I don’t have to be behind them at all. They come in knowing what they’re supposed to do, they get the job done and they get out. They do a very good job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 26, 2018

My experience with Merry Maids has been good. They are always very friendly when they come in and speak to us. Sometimes they ask us if there is anything special that we want to be done. But generally, they just come, do their work and get on with it. I have them once a month. They send a schedule and I check my calendar and if there's a conflict, I'd call them and they'd accommodate me. They'd change the date for them to come, which was convenient for me. They're all trustworthy. One girl hasn't missed more than once and then sometimes, she has a different one with her. There are a couple of places in the house that I tell them not to clean, either I've already cleaned it or I'll just take care of it myself. And if something breaks, it just breaks. They're just things. If there's anything that was not taken care of, it's usually because one thought the other one had done it. But for the most part, they get everything done.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 25, 2018

I like Merry Maids and have been using them for several years. They clean my house every two weeks and do a good job. They're very professional and I'm happy with them. I would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 23, 2018

My last experience with Merry Maids was very good. They came in and cleaned up beautifully. Scheduling the service was very easy. I had them coming to my home once every two weeks for almost two years and it always worked out fine. The cleaners were always very nice and very thorough, and I had no problems whatsoever. I was very satisfied with their service and I would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 22, 2018

Merry Maids come every other week and do a really good job. I was very surprised price-wise and thought about doing it a lot, but that'll be so expensive and it's really not more than I was paying an individual. The scheduling is perfect because I have them come at the same time and same day of the week, and they're usually close to being on time. However, the first time they came, it was two people. Then the next time, it was two different people. So I did request that the lead person always be the same. That way, they knew what I wanted done, how I wanted it done, etc. Other than that, the cleaners are often really good and they always ask if there's anything extra or if they missed anything the last time.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 21, 2018

My daughter ordered the service from Merry Maids. Two people came out and they were about 15 minutes early, which caught me off guard. I didn't expect them to dust off all the windows and cabinets that I have, but they did it and they did a thorough job. I'm pleased with their work, especially in the bathrooms. I would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 20, 2018

Merry Maids are the best cleaners. I'm so happy. I always have them come on a Tuesday, and they always come first thing in the morning. They cleaned everything and I was so impressed. I had had a woman and she had to move, and she was really good, and I figured I wasn't going to get anyone that good again. But those from Merry Maids have all been very good. They cleaned the blinds, they scrubbed the floor, and they really leave you a clean house.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 19, 2018

Merry Maids came for the second time on my contract and the experience was great. I have a set schedule, so I get a call the day before they're supposed to come as a reminder. And they have a key, so they can come any time. It was a seamless process. Their reps have always been polite and professional, and they were in and out fast. My house was clean after the service.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: March 18, 2018

I had Merry Maids out for an estimate on my father's apartment, and the person that came out was professional. She did a fine job evaluating what needed to be done. She gave me an estimate that I could live with and we set up a plan to go forward. We've had one service since then, and we're waiting for my dad to get back from the hospital and then we'll pick up. They've been perfect and I'd recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 17, 2018

When we first started with Merry Maids, the schedule got a little confusing about which days but we got it all correct now. We worked and got it straightened out. I got it on a calendar for me so I’d know what days that they’re coming. I love them. They’re very nice and they're just like family. I'm an older woman so I can't do a lot. After their service my home is clean and it smells wonderful. I have throw blankets on my living room furniture and they fold the blankets. They straighten my magazine pile. When they do the kitchen they arrange things on the counter, and it’s just really, really nice.

I recommend Merry Maids. My sister-in-law is working on having them do her home also. And then I almost had my neighbor talked into it. My friends and I are all older ladies. Most of us we have no children, so cleaning our homes isn’t hard but I try to be as neat as possible. With Merry Maids everything was cleaned and it’s great that I don’t have to do it. It was wonderful.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have received cleanings from Merry Maids from June 28th, 2017 until March 7th, 2018. I received 17 cleans over this time period. During this time I have had five separate cleaning people, equating to 3.4 cleans on average per person. I had to call 3 times because of various issues. These issues were not just that I was unhappy with the cleaning I received.

The first issue I called regarding that no one bothered to show up. No one from the office ever called me and they had no idea until I called the office that afternoon to find out what was going on. Obviously I did not appreciate waiting for someone to show up and then having to let the office know that no one ever came. This happened on what was to be my second clean.

The second time that I called was regarding an issue where the cleaner came to my home to start work at 4:15 in the afternoon while I was on my way to get my children from school. My home is a 4 hour clean so she would have been here until 8 pm or so that evening. She stated she also had to go get her kids so she left and did not come back to clean my house. I was completely fine with this until the next day when I was charged for the clean that never happened. I called to discuss this with the office manager and was informed that this was my fault for sending her away and he had to charge me.

This last clean my service person came was at my home for 2 hours, vacuumed two rooms, mopped three rooms and poured cleaner in one toilet. There was nothing else done in the house. At all. When I called to discuss my unhappiness with the office manager, I was informed that there was nothing that could be done. I was charged for the full amount ($129) and told that if I truly wanted he would send her back out to the house. Obviously I do not want someone back in the house that I have just called to make a complaint on because of their work. When he was unwilling to do anything except send the same person back to my home. I canceled my service and requested a refund of at least the two hours which she did not clean. I was refunded for one hour and told that was all that they could do as I apparently "cost" them money.

I was then charged an additional $202 for extra cleaning that is supposed to occur over a years’ time period for a deep clean. If I had only canceled this service because we were moving or because I could no longer afford the service then I would understand this charge. However, I canceled because of multiple issues and dissatisfaction with anyone but one particular worker's service.

The office manager continued to informed me that I should be happy that this was the amount I was being charged because really he should have raised my rates a long time ago and he was losing money off of providing service for my home. That is extremely unprofessional to say to anyone. Second, it is not my concern. He should have let me know that to my rate would need to be adjusted. It clearly state on the form that rates can be raised if needed due to size and time spent in a home. I would have been fine with this as well. However to say such to a client because of my dissatisfaction in service is quite rude. I have called the office twice and the owner refuses to call me back. He will only respond via email.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We started with Merry Maids after Christmas and their quality of work is very good. They came today at 9:00 and I was supposed to be back later, so I had to reschedule, but everything was fine. They're very friendly, courteous and they do a very good job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 15, 2018

I got the service of Merry Maids two weeks ago and my experience with them was very good. They scheduled the maids to come originally between 9:00 and 12:00, but they had some problem with scheduling. The maids couldn’t get here and they were very late in the afternoon in getting here on the first day. That was my only beef. Other than that, the girls were very helpful. I’m not able to do much around the house anymore, so I really appreciated what they did. There were three girls and they were here for two hours. The maids always do more on the first visit. Merry Maids did a good job and I was satisfied and happy with their service.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2018

I'm very happy with how Merry Maids is cleaning. But they've been here twice and I forgot to ask them yesterday if they were doing a room spray 'cause it smelled like cinnamon, which I'm not liking. Yesterday, it was irritating my eyes, and even today I can smell it. But the worst part was the whole house smelled really musty. I couldn't handle that every other week having the house smell like that. It's like this house does not smell clean. I'm wondering if it's the vacuum cleaner, if they're coming from someone else's house and if the bag isn't changed. Also, they're not scrubbing the floor hard enough 'cause there were some spots that were still not very clean. Everything else seems to be going fine. Scheduling with them has been very easy.

Merry Maids response

Thank you for choosing Merry Maids.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Merry Maids was pleasant and they did a wonderful job. This is the first time I've used them and my daughter had no problem scheduling. For what we had done, their work was satisfactory and I would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 11, 2018

I'm in the process of moving and I was trying to get the house ready for showing and I got a buyer. I had someone from Merry Maids come out for a one-time service and she did a great job. She was very thorough, professional and polite, and the cleanliness of the house was wonderful. I stayed in the house when she was working and I was very pleased. I probably will follow up when I get into my new home. The Merry Maids team was prompt and excellent.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 10, 2018

I had a very good experience with Merry Maids although we did not get off to a very good start. I was very disappointed in the initial cleaning. And I got a survey and I gave them a very low mark. They called me and we had a discussion about what I didn’t like, and they asked if they could come again. The second time they came, my experience was excellent and it’s been excellent since then. I get an email with the service schedule. At first, I’ve talked to them about what I wanted and what time of day I wanted them to come. And then, they get on a schedule and so the day before they come, I get an email just confirming or reminding me. I go to work and when I come home, my house is sparkling. And it smells really good, too.

On my first experience, the cleaning person's English was not too good which I brought up to Merry Maids, too. So the second time they came, there was an American girl, Ashley, who spoke very well, and then, I communicated what I wanted and what I didn’t. And now, Ashley will come all the time with a helper, but sometimes the helper is not going to be the same person. I leave them at home alone and I’m very comfortable with that. I’ve been using them since November and then at Christmas time, I wanted an extra cleaning and they came. Ashley is super, and I love her.

The Merry Maids owner who came to give me the estimate gave me a very good sales job and I was expecting very top-notch service. So the first time when they came, I was really disappointed and I conveyed that to the girl’s main office. And then, everything went well. I was going to go on to another service, but they were very willing to rectify the problem. My friends thought I paid a little too much money and I agree with them to a certain extent. But I wanted the service. I didn’t want just one person who was a cleaning lady because people get sick. They have kids and I didn’t want to deal with that. So at Merry Maids, if Ashley is sick and can’t come on a Thursday, they’ll send somebody else and that’s what I was looking for. And I do pay a little extra, but I’m paying for that service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 9, 2018

The Cleaning Authority left me hanging and it was not a good experience. They would call five minutes after they were supposed to have been here to cancel out, and I didn't want to deal with them anymore. Merry Maids was recommended to me by my daughter-in-law, and I had a lady come out and she was very friendly. I was born and raised in Germany and I am very particular about everything, and Merry Maids does everything that I ask them to do. I have nothing but praise for them. They're professional and friendly, and I like them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have had a very positive experience with Merry Maids. Ashley was here for the second time about a week ago or so, and she did a good job. They were very helpful when I was scheduling and made a date pretty easily. I would highly recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: March 7, 2018

I've had Merry Maids since 2006 and they usually do a very good job for me. They do my work for me and they do it very quickly. Scheduling has been good. They text me when they’re coming and a week before, they send me a reminder text. They also have a great rotation of cleaning reps. They come in and depending on how many there are of them, they're done in an hour or an hour and a half.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information