Call toll free
4.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Merry Maids Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 11, 2019

It has been about three months now since we got Merry Maids' service, and they do such a beautiful job. I had to use a cleaning service since I had been sick for a really long time, and I have some disabilities. My mom, who lives with us, has disabilities, too. And the house was just in rough shape. I've used people off Craigslist, but I had a bad experience.

When I called Merry Maids, they had a plan that was incredibly affordable where they come in and do a deep clean. Having the service helps me, as I won’t constantly have to struggle to keep my home clean. They come out every other week, and our house is always beautiful when they leave. We have things that had been stained for years, and they got those clean. Also, they’re always really respectful to my family, my pets and my home. I've been getting the same people every time, except the last time when it was a different team, but I’m still so pleased.

One of the big things is that I have pets, and another is that the ladies are able to work within my allergies. I'm allergic to bleach fumes and Merry Maids have products that are able to work with that. Also, the ladies that have come in seem really happy. I’d like to believe that it means that they’re happy with their employer. It’s important for an employer to treat their employees well. I have recommended Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Crystal, thank you for taking the time to share your Merry Maids experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying your new service!

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have Merry Maids once a month and they're pre-scheduled. I live over a funeral home though and if there’s a funeral, I cannot have them come in. I would have to adjust the schedule but have been willing to work with me. Last month, I had floor cleaning done by them and they were fabulous. I was thrilled. I have my favorites and I’m able to request the girls that I like so much, Maggie and Elsa have been absolutely wonderful.

They came with a group of eight girls the first time for the deep cleaning. This is a very big house. I’m here by myself and we just hit it off. And I was able to ask for Maggie and Maggie brought another young lady, Tuesday. They clicked together. They worked and cleaned like I used to be able to clean. Those two girls worked awesome together. I couldn’t believe how quickly everything was done and cleaned. They did the regular dusting, vacuuming, and they wiped off everything. They move stuff like I move things.

It’s a wonderful feeling to look at my hardwood floors and see them shine. They also had to deal with Christmas decorations that are off because I get a crowd. They also did the deep cleaning before my 20 that I had to serve for Thanksgiving. There are five bathrooms and those bathrooms were immaculate. I was so happy with everything. I’m so pleased with Merry Maids. They’re the best.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We were renting an apartment because we moved out of our house and rented a condo. It was the policy of the owner of the apartment to have it professionally cleaned before we leave there, so I called Merry Maids and they sent Digna and German. They cleaned the stove and everything that would have to be cleaned for new tenants, and they did such a lovely job. The house was pretty much empty, and they went through. When we were here a year in this house and it got too hard for us to keep up with the floors, I called Merry Maids. I asked if Digna and German were still there and if it would be possible to have them. They were there and Merry Maids gave them to us, and it has worked out very well ever since. They’re very nice, thorough, friendly and dependable. When they say they’re coming, they’re here. They do a wonderful job and I'm really satisfied with them.

We've been with Merry Maids for about four years now and they've been very consistent. If I want something extra done such as moving some chairs, they’re more than willing to do it. Also, they ask all the time if I have anything extra I want done and usually I don’t but if I do, they do it. They’re very good. When Holidays come up, they switch the schedule around a bit but it works. This time it didn’t because they come to me on Mondays but it doesn’t make any difference because they aren’t coming until after the Holidays again. Merry Maids came yesterday and they’re great. I always say to anybody who talks about house cleaning that I have the best people. I really like them. Everything goes right on schedule and very smoothly.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I called Merry Maids a long time ago but never followed through. Then, I had a knee surgery and I really couldn’t keep up so I called them. And I liked the fact that they were bonded. They were on the books and they were a bona fide company, not just somebody you pick off the street. That means a lot to me. I felt I was safe. The lady, Jodie, came over and explained everything. It’s a little pricey, but it’s well worth it.

The two ladies that came the first time were fantastic. They even cleaned the light bulbs and they were really, really good. My house never looked as clean. They power wash the floors. I’ve been using Swiffer WetJet and it’s sticky. Every time they come, it gets better and better and better. I'm very pleased. Especially since with my knee, I can’t have germs. So, I feel that everything’s clean.

They also carried in a box for me that I couldn’t lift, which was above and beyond. Then, my cat got stuck in a recliner and one of them helped me take it out because I couldn’t move. They’re very, very cooperative. I’m not worried about them. They just do their thing. I left before they were finished the last time and it was perfect. I’ve had people come and take the money and leave. I ask for the same people every week because they were just nice people, very pleasant, and diligent. It was a blessing. It was wonderful and we’ll keep them forever. I could sit here like a lady and drink coffee and not worry about anything.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for about 11 years now. I started with them when my mother was with me. She was ill and I didn't have too much time for housework. Now, I am getting a little older and there are some things that I used to do more thoroughly than I do now. It's nice to have them do those so I'm nice and tidy. Usually, I like the service set on a Monday because that's a good day for me. So they schedule me on Monday, which is convenient, unless I have something unusual come up. Then they are very gracious about changing the date for me. Normally, they will because they know I have animals so I like to be up and ready. On the Friday before, they will text me approximately what time to expect whoever is coming. So the scheduling is very good.

When the ladies come out, they are always very personable and pleasant. At this point in time, I know so many of them that it's always a pleasure to see them and catch up a little bit. We chat a little bit as they work and they're careful of my animals. They're also always good if I put a doubt about using a certain product and they're very gracious if there's any cleaning product that I prefer. They certainly do the work that they are sent to do and when they're done, the house looks lovely. I'm very well satisfied with them.

Merry Maids response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We needed to move out of our apartment in Lawrence Kansas and called them to do a clean out for us. They sent a lady to inspect us who I couldn't believe! She strutted around the place with a clipboard sniffing in a superior way as if my apartment was filthy... (It was far from it.. Only normal stuff like dust on the light fixtures, needing vacuuming behind the furniture when we moved it and the like) and spending most of the time telling me what they wouldn't do (Which was a LOT!). Then they gave us a quote that was completely insane. I found someone else who was much more reasonable, they did a good job and I got my deposit back. I have a hard time believing these people can stay in business under the circumstances.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’ve been using Merry Maids for a long time. They're always real professional and do a good job here. They come once a week, and I always get a text message the day before, telling me what time to expect them to arrive. They’ve helped me move light things, and they’ve cleaned the refrigerator. So, they’re responsive with things that they don't normally do. I’m very satisfied.

Merry Maids response

We’re delighted to read your feedback about Merry Maids. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the Perfect service for each customer!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Merry Maids has always done a really nice job for us. I have their service set up such that their ladies come twice a month. In the winter time, we're not at the place where they do service as much, so I have them come once a month. Whoever I speak to on the phone from their office has been wonderful. She always helps me out when I have to change things. Merry Maids also cleans our entire condo building and they have communicated really well with the president of our association. Very seldom do I ever find anything wrong. One time, a part of a mirror wasn't cleaned but they took care of that the next time. I'd recommend their service.

Merry Maids response

Great feedback, Laura! We genuinely appreciate it, and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your service!

Original review: June 20, 2019

Merry Maids comes once a month to clean my house. Their ladies are very flexible. I have a standard schedule but they're flexible enough to change it if I need to change it. The lady whom I usually deal with, Jennifer, has been very professional, polite and she's always very helpful with whatever I need done. So far, I've been very satisfied with Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Thank you, Gail! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Merry Maids' ladies did an excellent job for us. I was very satisfied with the cleanliness of our home when we used their services. We had an excellent experience with them.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate your feedback, Jessie! We aim to provide the best service to our customers!

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information