Call toll free
4.70/5
Based on 296 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Video
Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1000 Merry Maids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Merry maids were at my house last week for the first time and last time. They only wiped what they felt like wiping and wiped counters while looking at the phone. And to top it off chipped my microwave plate. When I complained about the cleaning they wanted me to name all the spots they missed. Like I have time to go through my entire house and see where they felt like wiping and point out all the smudges from my kids throughout the house. They cleaned the floors and vacuumed but that is not what I paid for so going through the list that they provided on what they did was a joke. The worst part was to call in and try to prove to them and list all the stuff they missed.

You will be assumed to be a liar right away when you call in. When Merry Maids failed to take responsibility for the chipped microwave plate, I decided to report them and if you decide to use them install CAMERAS please and you will see how they are ripping you off. Do not use Merry Maids if you actually want to find a service that will do the job that you are paying them to do. If you have a busy household like us and just need somebody to help you out every other week, pick somebody that trustworthy and when they tell you they dusted or cleaned or wiped, you will know that they did so that you do not have to go and keep on cleaning after them or checking up on them. All it took us is one cleaning and we knew these people do not know or understand what cleaning is. There are better cleaning services out there and I hope this review will help you make a better choice than we did.

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Since I moved to an independent retirement home, I've had Merry Maids for a little over two years. But prior to that, I had Merry Maids for many years and they were very reliable. They always came on time and instead of using mops, they were directed to get down on their hands and knees, which is not easy. The maid proceeded to do the floor in the kitchen and bathroom and I thought they could do it easier. But no, they were told to do it the proper way so they did.

Their charges are also reasonable by today’s standards. I’m 95 so to me, they were a little bit high in price. But I think they are worth it. I once tried to get a person that was living in the building and wanted to do cleaning at a reasonable price. But they did not show up not on time or even on the day we agreed on. It was very unprofessional. So I immediately canceled that for services that I wasn’t getting anyway and went back to Merry Maids. Besides, I’m also partially covered by the Veterans Affairs for housekeeping.

Original review: June 12, 2018

A year and a half ago, I had some health problems so I started using Merry Maids. I had tried one other company earlier on and I would use them sporadically. Then, because I was gonna have both my hips replaced and so I was not able to care around, I decided that getting help in the house would better ease my energy. I enjoyed the Merry Maids I've had. They come in and do what I ask them to do. They're pleasant and competent in their job. And, especially if you get the same person, you develop a sense of trust in them. One thing that people worry about is what drawer someone in your place is opening when they are in a different room. They're a bond agency and I didn't have that feeling with them.

Their reps have always been nice over the phone as well. Just recently, there had been a change in the amount that I would be paying. A guy called me to let me know that it was close to a 40% increase, from $147 that was taxed, it would then be $190. He was skillful enough on the phone, but I was a bit surprised that it was so much and that I haven't received any information that either I was going over my timing with the task that I had asked for or it was a policy of the whole group.

I thought about whether I needed them or not since I was getting better and I can do certain things. Then I thought about what I would get for $147. I would keep them on at that, but 40% more is getting out of my league. So I talked to the young woman who comes in and asked what takes the longest and what if we cut those. Then the young guy from the administration called me and said that they could probably work something out. I said that I could make a list of the things that could sort more by the hour. Sometimes they could leave earlier, sometimes later. I’ve had no guest this week so they don't need to vacuum or dust in two rooms. I said to eliminate certain things and we're gonna try that and see how that works. At this time, I'm satisfied with trying to work out the hourly thing. I have recommended Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Merry Maids has been coming out every two weeks for five years now. It's mostly the same person that comes all the time and if she's not available, they send someone else. I call them if I want to reschedule something or report that I'm going on vacation. The people at Merry Maids do the job they're hired to do and everything's fine.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 10, 2018

We have a scheduled set-up for our service with Merry Maids and it works out pretty well. We've had a very positive experience with Merry Maids and their cleaning professionals. The cleanliness of our home has been very good after they've finished the service. Merry Maids is a very good company. My son and daughter also use them and I’d recommend them very highly.

Merry Maids response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: June 9, 2018

Merry Maids was fine. We've since gone with somebody else, and while they're not as good as Merry Maids, they're a bit cheaper and closer. Scheduling with Merry Maids was done by phone. They were very professional and did a very good job of cleaning. Plus, they left a note afterwards. They always let us know when they were coming so we knew exactly when they were coming as opposed to the group now, which is a hit and a miss. Maybe we'll go back to Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 8, 2018

Merry Maids cleaned our house about a week ago and I was very satisfied. They come once a week on standing appointment. They’ve been coming for a while so they know what they are doing. We let them in and they clean it and wrap it up. It’s a symbol of confidence. The experience has been very positive and we’ve been pretty happy.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 7, 2018

There was an advertisement that said that Merry Maids did the things for the Armed Forces. My husband was formerly in the Navy and I didn't know anybody else that had a cleaning service. So we went through with them and have them come every two weeks. They do a good job cleaning and they're quite pleasant when they're here. We would recommend them to anybody.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2018

Had them coming every other week for past year, at first quality was good but as time went on things went downhill. I would call them and they would come out again and fix what you pointed out but not really clean the whole house. Finally I started taking pictures. The owner said my standards were too high. You be the judge.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Merry Maids is great. The first time they scheduled my service, they told me when they will come and they gave the day that they had an opening. They come in every two weeks. And they're very flexible especially this year because I was diagnosed with cancer and no one is gonna be home when I have to go to the doctor. I just give Merry Maids a call and whenever I have a free time, they will try to break it in to come and do some dusting and cleaning. It is the same people who come every time and the cleanliness is good whenever they finish. They're very good people and I even tip them also so they can have a Starbucks coffee after the service. They're very, very nice.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 5, 2018

My experience with Merry Maids was really good and I was impressed but I cannot afford them now. They cleaned well and they were friendly with my dogs. The last time I had them was two years ago but I’m gonna be busy when my husband goes away for six months and I will have to do a lot of stuff so I will get them again while he’s away.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 4, 2018

We've had Merry Maids for almost two years now and we've been very pleased with the reps that came here. They all acted very professionally and they were very thorough. We have a regular two-week service with them and just this morning, they came. We're very happy with Merry Maids. Go ahead and get them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have a scheduled visit from Merry Maids every Friday for general house cleaning. It just depends what time is convenient for them and they usually say they’re coming between this time and that time but I can always change that if I have to. When they clean, there are some other things that I mention to them occasionally and they’re quick to pick up on it. They know their job and they're very good at it. They're professional, friendly and competent.

Merry Maids response

Original review: June 1, 2018

We had a regular service with Merry Maids and it was mostly the same people who came. Maybe once or twice they had to change for some internal reason, but they made me go back to the same people again. We had no troubles scheduling with Merry Maids and arranging a time that was convenient for both them and us. And we were quite pleased with them who we had come. The cleanliness was excellent and we were happy with the job they did. We haven't needed Merry Maids' services for the past couple of years but we definitely consider going back again if we need it.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 31, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for a few years now. It's automatically scheduled that they come usually at around 1:00 o’clock in the afternoon every other Tuesday to clean my house. Their professionalism is very good and they're doing fine. They're on the ball and I have no problems with them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 30, 2018

Scheduling the service with Merry Maids went fine but the girls were late in getting to the house and I never got a phone call from the guys at their main office. I was waiting for the girls for over a half an hour so I had to call the main office and they told me that they had their morning meetings. I told them that I had places to go and people to see so I was expecting the girls at 9:00. Other than that, I was greatly satisfied with their service. The girls who came to the house were fantastic. I penciled the height of my son on the door jamb over the years and one of the girls felt very bad for having to clean that off so, the care was there. Also, everything was clean and they took extra care for the corners. I would recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 28, 2018

I’m very, very happy with Merry Maids and I love having them come. We have been with them for at least five years now. We have them come at the same time every two months and they just arrive and do their thing. Frequently, they call a day before to make sure that we remember them. The last time they were here, they did the whole house and it looked great. They were very fast. Then, when I want my carpet or my windows cleaned, I'd tell Merry Maids and they would arrange that. The cleaner then would come and take care of those. We also have Merry Maids come to our son’s house and they do that once a month. I recommend them to everybody. I want Merry Maids to continue on and on and on.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was happy with Merry Maids. They were only here once. They assessed what I wanted to be done and then cleaned a couple of rooms in the home. Our home was clean enough and what they did was quite satisfactory.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 26, 2018

I've been with Merry Maids for two months and they have done an excellent job cleaning my house. Plus, they're all friendly and nice people. My wife and I have been really happy with them. I'd absolutely recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 25, 2018

A lady across the street from me recommended Merry Maids and said that the person leading them was excellent and did good work. That was why I went with that team. And when they do my neighbor's, they call me right across the street then when they’re done with her, they come right across the street and do mine. It’s been about a year and a half, and I’ve been with the same team the whole time. It’s easier when the same people come because they’re familiar with the layout and the little quirks of the place.

The girls are efficient and if I have little things that they need to focus on, I let them know. They work very hard and the house is clean when they’re done. They had three people come last time and usually when they have three, they have somebody in training. But the two regular girls know I have to use the Brute floor cleaner on the floor so I don’t void the warranty. I can’t use whatever they bring and they’re good about that.

It’s always been a very good service but the cost is a little bit on the high side. I’ve recommended Merry Maids to somebody and they were also concerned about the high price of the service. But it's worth it for me. I have been pleased with the service so far. They only come once a month which is fine for me so that works out. But if I were doing it more frequently, I would hope to have some kind of discounted price.

There's also another reason I'm staying with Merry Maids. Before I had them, I had a cleaning lady who was independent. I had her for a long time but she was very inflexible. She couldn’t switch her schedule because she had people booked all the way through the week. So if I had an appointment or if I’m not available to open the house for her, I would have to deal with that. Part of the pros of having a company is if I should need to reschedule, I can do that. Usually, they can get me a day where the same team comes which is very helpful. But even if I can’t get the same team, at least I can get a team that is reliable that will come in there on that day.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 24, 2018

Merry Maids provides a very good service and they are always on time. I always request the same team of two people. They're very professional and they always do a thorough job. I've only had good experiences with Merry Maids and I have recommended them before.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have scheduled the house cleaning service of Merry Maids for every Wednesday and they've sent out very nice, young girls who were pleasant and easy to talk to. I have requested that the same people be sent every time as I don’t wanna deal with different people every week because then, one team of cleaners wouldn’t know what the other team did the week before. I’ve had these girls four times and they did a good job. On the first week or so, I stayed as they worked, although there was no necessity for me to stay. I've made a few requests and their vacuuming was good. As we go along, I’ll pinpoint other things to zero in on. Merry Maids seems very professional. When I call the office and make an appointment, everything is organized. The cleaners that come out are on time, as scheduled, and they come with all their products. My experience with Merry Maids has been good so far and I really would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 17, 2018

Merry Maids is great. I have a bi-weekly cleaning service with them, but when I need to change the schedule, they've been very accommodating. You just have to give them a reasonable timeframe, wherein 48 hours is usually enough time, because they've got to switch their schedule around. Their cleaners have all been very friendly too. They cleaned my house almost two weeks ago and did a good job. My satisfaction was high when they finished cleaning. They also did a one-time deep clean in my mom's house and my mom was very excited. They did a good job there as well.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 16, 2018

I have Merry Maids service my house twice a month. They are extremely accommodating whenever I schedule and their cleaning professionals are excellent. They are extremely thorough and their products smell good and are reliable.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 11, 2018

Merry Maids has been coming once a month to our house for several years now and we've always been very satisfied with them. I haven't been available a couple of times when they came and we've had to schedule a different day, but there have been no problems with them. The ladies who come are very polite and discreet as well. They do a very good job. I'd go out on the porch, try to stay out of their way and just let them do their thing. Also, if I need them to do over and above their normal cleaning, they do it willingly. When I want them to do anything else, I let them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 4, 2018

I like Merry Maids very much and I've been using them for a couple of years now. Their cleaners have been easy to work with and very nice and polite. When I need to reschedule with them, I just call them and we reschedule. I've had their service recently and the cleaners came by when they were supposed to do, cleaned up my house and then left. I was surprised with the cleanliness of our house and my husband loved it.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've had Sandy and Leslie for years, and I definitely prefer that. I don’t like different people coming in ‘cause you get accustomed to the same girls. They were here last week and they’re always very prompt. They’re very thorough too. I have recommended them to my hairstylist and she’s using Merry Maids to clean her salon.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We've used Merry Maids before and we really liked the job they do. It's also very convenient for us. Scheduling our service was very simple. The representative, Greg, got back to us very quickly and his schedule was very open. We were able to get in when we needed to. Greg is a great guy and he was very attentive and was quick to call back. We had a fantastic interaction. The same ladies have come a couple of times and they're as professional as can be. They’re wonderful as well. My wife leaves a list to what she wants to be done and the ladies always complete it very well, very quickly, and very completely.

They do a good job and it's a great service to have as their service is very economical. My wife and I both work and we have two kids, and it saves our time. We could be cleaning but we'd rather be spending time with family. Merry Maids is a tremendous value for what we get. We've had other cleaning services before and Merry Maids is the only ones we've had to come back many times.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I’m very pleased with Merry Maids. They're very good people and very caring and polite. They're wonderful to have in my home. It’s well-scheduled. I have it on calendar and I know beforehand. But they call a day or two before to let me know they’re coming and what time. They visited last Tuesday and it went very well. They take care of everything as if it’s their home.

Merry Maids response

Original review: May 1, 2018

We've been using Merry Maids for over a year now and they do a fantastic job. If they don't, they would be back here fixing what they didn’t do. Our one complaint is that their vacuums are not adequate. They need new ones but other than that, their services are first class. The money that they charge is well-spent. We have a set time for the service then I get a call is if they can come early or they're running a little late. Otherwise, they send us an email and confirm our date, which is fine with me. The girls who have come were excellent and very professional too.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information