toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I am very happy with my experience with Merry Maids. My maid is a 25-year old lady and I'm an older woman and a grandma and she reminds me of one of my grandchildren. She cleans everything and does a very efficient job. I don't have to lift a little finger and it's wonderful. She's a very sweet, lovely, young girl and I’m very comfortable with her and being a senior citizen living alone, it’s important to me who comes in and out of my home. She sets up the schedule automatically every Wednesday morning and she shows up somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00. She comes every two weeks and then I put it on my credit card and it’s very easy.

I would recommend Merry Maids. They come every two weeks and they're always on time. I always get at least one of the same girls which I requested and they call me if for any reason my regular girls aren't available. They know exactly what to do with my house and if they ever find anything like a little spot on the wall or something on the floor, they always point it out to my attention. They are courteous and polite. They do a great job and they're very flexible, too. There are a couple of rooms I don't have them do but when I have company who will stay in that bedroom, they work on it. Occasionally I have to change the date and they're flexible on that, as well. They also call me a couple of weeks ahead of time before a holiday so I don’t have to remember that I gotta call them.

The people from Merry Maids automatically come every other Monday. I have a pre-set schedule for their service, but generally, for the scheduling, I pick the times when I want them to come and then if I need to change then I can call their office for it. I have the same girls all the time, and they're all great. It's been that way for a long time. They come in and do the cleaning. They vacuum and the usual stuff. I don’t have any heavy lifting for them to do. They're very thorough.

Merry Maids

All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your MerryMaids cleaning service experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and regret the experience you’ve had. We’ll schedule someone to contact you in regards to this.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Tried Merry Maids to do a simple move out clean and I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in what happened! I was quoted at $186 for the move out clean of my two bedroom/two bathroom apartment in NC. When the ladies arrived I was informed they would be unable to do a couple of the areas due to the carpets being cleaned at the same time (which was a mistake made by the other company not Merry Maids) so naturally I understood this. I was informed the lady on the phone her lady is cleaning the apartment would not be cleaning the oven because it was not run on self clean which the oven does not have. I tried to explain to the lady on the phone does the oven does not possess a self-cleaning cycle so therefore able to run a self clean cycle. I was again informed they would not touch the oven. I was ok with it at the time because we had already discussed rescheduling to finish up what they couldn't get done on that day.

I was told they would take half the money out for what they would do that day and then come back and finish the rest of it at a later time which I was fine with, while upon looking the next day at my bank account I noticed they withdrew all $186! When I called to ask why they had done so I was told it was because it took THREE PROFESSIONAL CLEANERS 5 ** HOURS TO CLEAN A SMALL KITCHEN AND TWO SMALL BATHROOMS! WTF! Even up until this point I was willing to accept it because I am not a professional cleaner. However when I went back to look over what they had done that is when I became extremely angry because not only was I overcharged I was overcharged for poor work.

It is bad enough that you tried to gouge someone to do a job but on top of that the job that you had done was not even done correctly. I had to have my fiance and her mother go back and clean everything properly which they accomplished in the grand total of one hour. It is safe to say I will never I repeat never be using Merry Maids again. The bottom line is if you can find another cleaning service I suggest doing it particularly if you live in the Goldsboro or Lagrange North Carolina area because Merry Maids is quite frankly a rip off! If I can find a method to get in contact with their regional office I plan on making it known to them as well. I have enclosed several images to show the type of work that they had done.

Merry Maids come in every two weeks here at the farmhouse and clean for us. They also handle two of our other residences that we use for guests, which is on a more periodic basis. It could be every week or once a month depending upon whether it's summer or winter and so on. It's simple to schedule the services with them. It works out all the time. The people that they send have a written schedule. The schedule is different each week. And they perform up to expectations. I'm highly satisfied with the cleanliness after they finish the service. Overall, they're great people to work with. The people who had come are friendly and they've gotten to know us over the years. And even though the crew changes a little bit, they're still very nice people.

Merry Maids has been great. We've already scheduled into the future, so they come every other week on the same day. They were just here last week and even though they had already done an extensive cleaning, they paid more attention to certain areas of the house. They're avoiding dust to accumulate so what they're doing is really good. They’ve been extremely professional and so far, the experience has been good. I would recommend them.

Merry Maids is perfect for me and I love their services. They're very good and very reasonable. I've been a customer for 20 years and I trust them. In fact, they have the keys to my apartment. When I lived in my house, I used to have Merry Maids. And when I moved to my apartment and realized I could afford it again, I got Merry Maids again. Their cleaners come every other Wednesday and clean my apartment for me. I absolutely adore them. I've taught them how to put waterbed sheets on which the girls didn't know how to do. Although I really never see them. All I know is they leave me a card with a little note telling me what they worked on those two weeks and they wish me a happy week. When it's a Wednesday, I know my apartment is going to be clean and that I'm going to come home to clean sheets on my bed. They're fantastic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Hi Cyndi,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any

inconvenience you had with MerryMaids cleaning service. We’ll schedule someone from our customer service team to contact you within 2 business days.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I signed a contract with Merry Maids to service my home every other week. During their first visit to clean my home there were two very nice young ladies who came out. They were friendly and did a nice job cleaning my home. It went downhill very quickly after that. Every visit thereafter I welcomed into my home new maids every time. When I opened my front door to greet them it was always one who would speak and the other maid would not part her lips no matter how nice I was to them. I always believe in being friendly expressing sincerity from my heart not that this means anything in this day and age.

Here's what happened when the maids cleaned my home; they stripped the shine from my hardwood floors in my living room, my newly renovated family room bathroom and my bedroom floors. One maid put a clean pot and just placed it in another pan that was filled with grease from breakfast. They arranged my beautiful bathroom decorations the way they way to arrange them. They laid wet wash cloths on my wood coffee tables in my living room. They laid mops on my glass sofa table. They stopped up my bathroom sink and I had to pay to get it fixed. There was a bunch of yellow water floating in my bathroom sink when I walked into my master bathroom to wash my hands. They knocked the plate that has father-in-law's name engraved on it on his grandfather clock. They knocked out my cable and I had to call Verizon to come and fix that.

Most of the maids were not friendly and did not demonstrate a level of professionalism that I was expecting. I called the manager several times complaining of all that they were doing in my home. One guy came to my home and when I opened the door he looked at me and dropped his head and never once did he speak. When I called Merry Maids last Thursday to request to reschedule them coming out simply because I dreaded the thought of them coming, the manager told me that my contract had been terminated. I was in shock and she told me that my credit card had declined and my account was sent to collections without warning and it hasn't been thirty days.

This is so unfair to me and then they expect me to pay the $200 discount after treating me like this. I have never heard of anything like this before. Instead of sending me a letter saying that my contract was terminated they really should have sent a letter asking for me to call them even though the manager said they called my home and left a message. They didn't give me ample time to respond to the call nor pay the $120 balance that I owe. Merry Maids needs to change their practice and train the maids properly whom they send out to service customers.

I signed up with Merry Maids and they came out to evaluate. They showed me what it would be if I wanted it once a week, every other week or once a month. They also gave me all the different pricing options. I used to have them come in once a month then, I had to cut back and they now come in as needed. I got a calendar for the entire year with all their cleaning dates so I knew ahead of time. It was really easy to schedule with them and if there was ever was an issue, they were really good about moving stuff around.

The cleaners would come during the day, whenever I was at work. I gave them my garage code and I would let them go in. Recently, they cleaned my first floor which is a family room, a living room, kitchen, dining room, two bathrooms and three bedrooms. I'm very particular on how I clean but they did everything, like the blinds and the fans, and they did an excellent job. Then, they would always leave a detailed report of what they did and write the name of who was there so I would know. They're really nice. As a working mother, coming home on a Friday to a clean home totally sets my weekend and makes it happy and great. It is really wonderful and nice to be able to relax and do other things that I actually want to do. It's very busy during the week and I really value that time to be able to relax on the weekend.

I just started with Merry Maids. They came and did the initial cleaning, and then did another cleaning, and then this was the third one and it was awesome. There was a little confusion though. They came later than I expected. But they sent an extra crew so they’d be done before my kids got home from school. And it was excellent. My house was spotless and it was all good.

Scheduling the service has been good, too. I do it every other Monday. It's very quick and they don't leave me waiting or hanging. When I initially talked to them to get my initial cleaning, I sent an email on a Wednesday and their staff who does the estimates came out to my house on a Thursday night. She was very pleasant and very prompt. Then they came and cleaned for me on Friday morning. They were wonderful, very friendly, and got along with my dog. I have no complaints with their service. It’s just as expected and just what I needed. It's good and I feel comfortable if I need to leave a note that it would be fine. I did recommend them to my niece and she's also using them.

When I have a scheduled service with Merry Maids, they knock on the door, say hello, come in and start cleaning everything pretty good. I chat a little bit with the lady who always seem to be the one that comes but if she's busy, I walk around her when she's working. It doesn't take her too long either. However, I had to cancel the service last week because my wife was so sick I didn't want them coming under the house and getting sick. They were very understanding and their next time with us is April 5th. But the last time that they cleaned, they did a good job.

We have Merry Maids scheduled bi-weekly and they send me a text to confirm they're coming on a particular day. Any experience I've had with them has always been very positive. They are a pleasure to deal with and I'm very happy. Our cleaner always does a great job and is always very courteous. I love coming home to a clean house, and the fact that I'm continuing with them says it all.

Merry Maids are absolutely fabulous. We have homes in Canada and Florida and we go different places, so when we come back, I have them come and clean the house, because it's usually full of cobwebs and dust. I just give them a couple of days notice, and they do it. They do a superior job cleaning. I come home to an absolutely spotless, beautiful home. So when we're coming back or if my son is going down or if somebody is coming to stay at the house, I get it cleaned. I just email them and let them know what date. They email me back and say, "We've got you on the schedule for that date." And it's done. No hassle. They're always there for me and extend an arm for me.

I call the Merry Maids' office to schedule service and that's very easy. Their reps have always been very pleasant and professional. I canceled a few appointments but they rescheduled me for the next week so it worked out. Also, I don’t actually live in the house that’s getting cleaned and they try to work with me to make sure that I don’t have to go drive over there, sit and wait for them.

Also, the girls who come are always very nice and they all like my really big dog. It's perfect when they're done with their cleaning and it's better than before. For my recent service, two girls showed up just about on time and they did a good job. I like it when they send two girls instead of one because they get done faster. On the whole, they're great and professional.

Merry Maids cleans my house every two weeks, and it's been great. The woman that I deal with at the office is always very helpful. I'm at work while the cleaning staff are at my house. But after they've finished with their service, we come home and it's clean and smells nice, and we have nothing to worry about. Our most recent experience with Merry Maids has been very good. We're very satisfied with their service. Overall, they've been consistent and comprehensive.

When scheduling my service with Merry Maids, I talked to the owner and told him that I didn’t want a random time. Whoever comes, I want them to come at the same time, and they do. One of them comes every two weeks and cleans my house. They’re very clean and quick. There’s no nonsense and they’re nice girls, and the house smells great when they leave. I have two hairy dogs and they never complain about it. I want the same person all the time because you get in a routine when you clean the same place. You’re not reinventing your job every time you go in. The cleaners know what to do, where to start and what to expect. Merry Maids might be a little expensive and it might be because I have a big house but the girls do their work efficiently. It feels very good to come in and have everything cleaned up.

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We will use it to improve our MerryMaids services.

Original review: March 3, 2017

Merry Maids does a good job and it's a good thing that the job is quick but there are times that there are little things that they leave undone. I can see that they didn't move something and there's dirt behind it. They also take little shortcuts sometimes and I have noticed it several times. They send questionnaires that I filled it out, and they also sent someone for quality control one time, and I was happy that they did that. She saw that there were a few things that needed more attention to so she let the team know that. However, now it's a different area that looks like getting skipped over.

Merry Maids

Great feedback, Patricia! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your MerryMaids service!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I love Merry Maids. They do everything I ask and more, and they're all friendly. One of them is pretty regular and she talks to me. They come once a month 'cause it's just my husband and I now, and they leave our house very clean. Sometimes the scatter rugs are crooked but I can live with that with a clean house. I have recommended Merry Maids to friends and they've used them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a good experience with Merry Maids in Georgia before so when we moved down here, I called them again. My husband and I were both very sick after we got here. I would call them and I would be able to customize what it was I needed at the time. If it was just my husband and I here, I would just have them clean the main areas and the bathrooms, but not the guest bedrooms. And then, we got a puppy which was another big thing. Also, my husband ended up getting so sick that he passed away. I was able to call Merry Maids and tell them the circumstances I had. People were headed down to my house and it was an absolute disaster, but in a matter of 24 hours, Merry Maids sent in a crew of three women and my house was spotless. I had clean sheets on all the beds and they were fabulous.

Then after my husband passed away, I left for five months. My daughter-in-law and son came down, and he told Merry Maids he's not sure how long I was gonna be gone and that he needed for the house to be presentable because we weren't sure if I was gonna sell the house as I was in shock. So again, Merry Maids sent their people in and cleaned out the refrigerator for me. When I came back four months later, the house was in great shape.

The last time I called and asked them to come in, I had company and just told them to take the sheets off the bed and I'll wash them myself. So, when Merry Maids came back this last time, they were able to send one person to do a three-hour sweep through the house and she cleaned everything and put clean sheets on the beds for me.

One of the things I like is their flexibility. I'm getting physically better but still have problems bending over so scrubbing the bathrooms, bathtubs and the showers and putting sheets on the bed are things I have difficulty doing on my own and they work with me. I'm here when they clean, so I get to know the girls who've been very kind and professional. They've done a really good job for me. Also, my neighbor has let them in a time or two when I wasn't able to be here and she told me that the girls are really nice and that she might need to call them. She has been impressed with what Merry Maids has been able to do for me. Also, the rates are very reasonable. I would definitely recommend Merry Maids. It was fabulous. I'm eventually gonna get to the point that I'll put them back on a regular basis.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I used to have a wonderful team from Merry Maids. They had a way that they worked well together. But when they put a new team, it seems that now, they're so disjointed that they go from one thing to the other. When they empty the trash, they don't empty all the wastebaskets. Once, I had dropped two tissues in the back of my toilet, but when they left, those tissues were never removed. That can only tell me they had not done the whole area completely. Also, I had them use my vacuum because I don't want them bringing somebody else's vacuum into my house and I like it emptied, but that wasn't done. I've been unhappy with this new team. I hate to pay that kind of money and still have wastebaskets that have stuff in them.

But four weeks ago, when Shelly, the manager who's incredible when she cleans, worked for one of the days because they had no one else to fill in, I told her what was important to me and when they walked out, everything was done and just the way I wanted it. I would recommend Merry Maids in general, but right now, I would not recommend this team because I don't see them working together.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Merry Maids comes out bi-weekly and my experience with them has been very good. The cleaning reps are cordial and for the part that they’re responsible to clean, it’s always very clean. They're very efficient and I'm satisfied overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called Merry Maids to tell them that they did an outstanding job on the floors. It was a very good experience. Scheduling the service was easy and they were very friendly as they walked into the door. We walked out and they were gone when we got back. They also left a nice note. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m very happy with my experience with Merry Maids. There was a time when our regular scheduled day didn’t work for me but they were very accommodating on making it work for a day that met my schedule. I have a good rapport with their people and I deal with them on the phone and via the computer. I appreciate their emails telling me that they’re coming and I also appreciate the text they send me. The girl that cleans my house does a wonderful job. Although once in a while I see that something needs to improve, I report it and it’s taken care of. So, I am pleased with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been using Merry Maids for over two years now and they come every other week. They let me know the day before what time they're coming. The reps have always been very cooperative if I see that something’s wrong. When one of the slats out of one of my shades came out, they came and repaired it promptly. Overall, they're doing a great job getting everything done and are very cooperative.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The representatives are very nice and helpful. We had Alicia and Renee, and they’re very good. I called Merry Maids and asked if we could have them more on a regular basis because we’re getting different girls every two weeks. But these two did a terrific job and by the time they leave, the house smells like it got roses growing in the front room. They clean and they know what we like. We’re set for every other Fridays and they tell me what time and they’re always prompt. It was a good idea that my husband wanted to have the house cleaned and I’m very happy. I have passed a note along to a couple of other people who asked who cleaned our house and we said that it's Merry Maids.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have Merry Maids come to my apartment every month and they do a really nice job. It's a standing appointment and what they do is call before coming. However, there were times that I had to push it because I work out of my house. I call them and say that they should come after 1:30 and they were a bit huffy over that. There are also times where they've come early so that sent me scrambling but I understood because I did it for two or three weeks in a row. Also, they want to be able to stick to their timeframe and finish early. What would be great in the future for them is to call if that's happening so I can make some other plans because they've walked in on me a couple of times while I was on conference calls and that's tough because they're trying to clean and I'm slowing them down as I can't get off.

The cleaners they send are courteous though a little hesitant to engage. They just come in, do their thing and there's not a lot of interaction. One of the things I love about having them here is when I come in, everything smells so nice. The oven area is great and they clean up the microwave. I also love that I don't have to do the scrubbing of the toilet or the bathtub myself and that it's always so shiny and nice. My Merry Maids experience is not perfect but it’s very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m very happy with Merry Maids. I just got home and the house is clearly very clean and smells good, too. Their service is automatically scheduled by the end of the week so I don’t need to do anything. And everybody’s been great, respectful and professional, as well. I’ve had other cleaning people in the past and this is by far, the best experience I’ve had.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been using Merry Maids' services for more than 10 years. They are very flexible with scheduling and the quality of their work is usually very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend told me about Merry Maids and for over a year now, I've been using their services. It's been great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've seen Merry Maids doing work for Susan since 2016 and they've been very good workers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've had Merry Maids for a couple of weeks, but we've used them in other locations for 20 years and we've been very satisfied. We had to have some rescheduling and it worked fine. I appreciate their cooperative attitude.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like Merry Maids very much as they’re consistent but it was kind of hard to schedule with them. They do not always do everything I want them to do but what they do, they do well. I've had neighbors and friends who had losses and trouble when they changed cleaning companies. I've had Merry Maids for 3 years and never had any problems with them. They have never left the door unlocked and have served us very well. I feel comfortable and secure with them.

Question and Answers - Merry Maids

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?

Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.

What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?

Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.

What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.

How does Merry Maids measure success?

At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?

The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?

What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.

Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.

How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?

In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Profile