Call toll free
4.45/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Video
Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1145 Merry Maids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Three strikes and you're out. I have used this service many times over the past couple years, spent thousands of dollars, etc. When the maids are here, they do an acceptable job. I think they could clean a little more deeply in the corners/under things and do a better job vacuuming, and I don't like the fact that if I want them to clean the kitchen sink I have to do my own dishes ahead of time, but whatever... Recently, my biggest problem with Merry Maids isn't their lackluster cleaning, it's their bold-faced lying. I can't say I've worked with a company that insisted on lying to its customers as often as possible. Here's what's happened *three times:*

I make an appointment. My place is big so they always want to clean it in the morning hours. I take off work and wait. They don't show up, no call, no explanation. I call asking, "Why aren't the maids here?" And they tell me I got the appointment time wrong. They do this Every. Single. Time. So I decided to be extra careful, as they never give a confirmation call the day before. I started calling the day before to confirm the appointment time. Here's what happened:

I confirm the appointment time as with Merry Maids the day before the cleaning. Day of the cleaning - no maids! Call and once again I'm told I got the appointment wrong. No amount of explaining to the "supervisor" that I confirmed the appointment just the day before makes a difference. She even claims to have left a voicemail on my phone. She has the correct phone number but there is no voicemail on my phone, and of course it works fine. The lack of professionalism this company has shown our family is simply awful, and the lying is simply despicable. Unless I'm offered some kind of discount for any future cleanings, I'm done with this awful company. I suppose if you have oodles of free time and the patience of a saint, this company would be a good fit for you. Otherwise, stay away!

Merry Maids response

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience with Merry Maids! We value your feedback and would like a chance to resolve any issues. Someone from our local office will be contacting you to help assist with your resolution.

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My house has been cleaned by Merry Maids for over a year, they've always done a wonderful job and I had believed that they were reliable in who they hired and sent into my house. The other day we had cleaning people over and it was the first time my parents nor I were home to supervise. I came home from work to find at least $250 of my stuff missing including jewelry and cash. I really trusted this company to hire dependable workers and do background checks on those they hire, but I guess I was wrong. I'm planning on telling my parents that. Because of this we should no longer get our house cleaned by them if they can't guarantee our valuables will be safe.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

So I called Merry Maids 562-929-6177. The lady was very nice. I requested my small apartment to be cleaned and she said from the description it would be about 1 1/2 hours work. It was raining cats and dogs and they were 1 hour late. They looked over the place and got started, they did not say it would take longer. We agreed that in 1 1/2 hour they would stop. I left to run some errands and they called me after 1 1/2 hour and said they had to stop. I assumed that meant they had completed most of the task. NOW keep in mind that my apartment is SMALL and had no furniture in it. The job was EASY! Clean kitchen, stove, floor, bathroom. Clean floor. There was nothing in the bedroom!

I had 3 ladies and when I got back I was SHOCKED to see that they had done very little cleaning. The bathtub had a rubber mat and I lifted it up and there was dirt = a half done job. The medicine cabinet had NOT BEEN CLEANED ON THE INSIDE and the floor was half cleaned. What it was is, they had another job to do and so they had to leave to get to it. When I complained about the mess they left AND sent pictures to the manager, she said the service is guaranteed and they would return to do a complete, better job (int, that hardly ever works because they return angry like these 3 did.).

One of started to argue with me about the bathtub and the mat being hard to clean (She should have just SAID SO BEFORE SHE LEFT the first time!) so I just asked them to leave and I would take care of it. For some reason they wanted to speak with the manager (she has nothing to do with my cleaning my apartment, but they needed her validation???). The manager is NOT paying for this job. I AM! So I am not happy with Merry Maids AND If I were you I would find a service that has better workers AND get a quote first before giving them the job. I think even if you do that, they will find a way to extend the job. BEWARE OF MERRY MAIDS!!

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We have been using Merry Maids for a long time. We schedule their service every two weeks, and we have a calendar with them so we know when to expect them. We also get a reminder call. If we have to change, they're very accommodating. The cleaning professionals are very pleasant. If I ask them to do something extra, they do it. A lot of times, I find something that isn’t up to snuff, but II just say something to them about it the next time and they take care of it. I'm very satisfied with the service that they provide.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We've been using Merry Maids for several years now and we've been very pleased with them. We have recommended them to other people. They do a good job and the cleanliness of our home every time they finish a service is excellent. They come every Wednesday and it's very easy to schedule a service. We usually talk to Brenda and she calls us a couple of days ahead of time to tell us that someone is coming. Since they always call, we can delay the service and pick another day for it if they happen to come on a holiday and we're gonna be out of town. Merry Maids has had a lot of turnovers and we've had several professionals but they've never failed to do a good job. Kayce was the one who came this Wednesday and she did an excellent job.

Merry Maids response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Merry Maids was very good. They call me and remind me that they’re coming. Their professionals are very good and I have a nice rapport with them. They do a good job and I’m pleased with them. After the service, my home's cleanliness is excellent and better than before.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Merry Maids comes out to our home every other Monday. They come at a time that I like them to come and the ladies that come out are very nice. Josefina is great and there is a new person now that comes with her. They do what I want and they do a good job. I am very pleased.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We simply needed a cleaner to wipe down a small, empty house that we were about to move into. We were advised that 3 cleaners would be there and I asked that we cap it at 1 hour. When they finally showed up, a bit past the estimated time range, they were confused and could not speak English. Had I known, I would have asked my Spanish speaking husband to be there. Instead, they cleaned very little. I didn't know that nothing had been done until we moved in and I took a wipe at a couple of places that should have been easily cleaned. Additionally, we'd noticed a couple of small cobwebs when we closed on the house. They were easy to reach. Still there and I'm still wiping down cabinets that they didn't do. The manager (? not sure of title) berated me for not letting him know sooner. Horrible customer service on top of the non-cleaning.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I’ve had Merry Maids for 15 years and the cleanliness and satisfaction had been very good. Everybody is cordial and if I have any concerns, I go over it with them and they do what I ask them to do just like it should be.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Merry Maids has been very helpful and they come in when I want. They do a good job and they’re accommodating if there's a need for a change. I’ve been a customer with them for over 25 years, and scheduling services with them is not difficult at all. Within a few days, they can change your time. The representatives has been very professional. They respond to email, and also they return calls. They’re overall very good. Also, overall, I’ve had no troubles with the cleaning professionals. For the spaces I have available for them to clean, I'm fine. Merry Maids is a little high in price but they are a well-known brand throughout the region.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Merry Maids has been coming bi-monthly for five years now and we only have scheduling issues on holidays but they always give me plenty of notice. They’re also always on time and the ladies are very sweet and respectful. Every time we’ve had an issue, they’ve addressed it immediately and then it’s no longer an issue ever again. The representatives also immediately call me to follow up. They’re not afraid of bad news and they’re proactive. Keep doing what you’re doing, Merry Maids. You’re doing a wonderful job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have Merry Maids come to my house every week for several years. They’re very nice and cooperative when we need to change something. The cleaning professionals have also been very nice and very prompt. They come when they’re supposed to, and they don’t take very long.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have Merry Maids come out every three months and the house is spic-and-span every single time. I call in to schedule and it's wonderful. Their most recent visit was fantastic. Everything has been great.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Merry Maids have been periodically coming to my house and cleaning it since 2006. Their gals are hardworking and very professional. The last time they came out here and cleaned, my house sparkled and shined. Merry Maids is great and I love them. I would tell anyone to try them out.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I set up my service schedule with Merry Maids when I first became a client of theirs six years ago. We agreed on a date and set it for every four weeks, and they come every four weeks like clockwork. It’s always the same team. I requested that. They get the job done, and so, the household is spic and span. It works out beautifully. I’ve had one instance where I might have had them go over another area once, but I'm very satisfied with their service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We’ve been very happy with Merry Maids. They work with our schedule and are usually in and out on the same day. As a construction manager on projects, there are certain times when we have to have somebody with them simply because of security reasons for the project we’re working on. Their staff have been real nice, polite and courteous. Every once in a while there’ll be something we got to get them to come back and catch up, but overall, they’re prompt and tend to do a very good job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I used to have someone from Merry Maids come to my house for a year and didn't clean it. I called and asked them not to send her but they did. She wouldn't speak to me and was acting all vindictive. They sent another lady one day and we ended up being acquainted. The bathrooms were cleaned and I saw the difference.

But Merry Maids doesn't seem to have their act together. I would suggest that one has to check everybody out because I don't know if I could recommend them. It didn't seem like the same clean it was in 1999. We used to smell the cinnamon but now, we can't smell it as much when they leave. Also, I used to get two people to come since my day one with Merry Maids but now, I would only get one. But they sent someone yesterday and the experience was very pleasant.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have a contract with Merry Maids until September and they come every two weeks which is good. But what I'm paying for every two weeks is steep for a person whose house is organized, cleaned and kept professionally clean. So I'm concerned and when my contract is up, I'm gonna look at what's the new deal if instead of every two weeks, I'll have them once a month and then the next month twice or swap it around.

They recently came to clean my house and it was left perfect. I prefer team six and make sure that I get them every time. When I met them on day one, they were very polite and I loved the way they were doing the cleaning. Also, the lady always gives me a call the day before so I can verify that they're coming and I'm prepared for them. The staff that handles the calls are very professional as well.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Merry Maids has been coming every two weeks for years. The office is very nice. They will answer your questions and make sure you get what you need and that everything is covered and taken care of. Scheduling the service is very easy. We have a schedule that they send out to us and we get an email the day before they’re coming. Everything is organized with them and they do a good job. The cleaners are very friendly, competent, nice and always prompt. The cleanliness of the home after they finish is always good and we’re always glad that they came.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

$443 dollars for a basic wipe down. Very low quality cleaning for the money. Company's cleaning products they use are not up to par with a good deep down cleaning. Cleaning products are really bad. Basically they are not worth the money and I would shop around to hire a good deep clean house cleaning person or company, otherwise you will lose all that money. They charge for a cleaning you could have gotten 3 times over by someone else. I couldn't be more serious about a review this time because of the actual money they charge, very, very high priced and completely unwarranted.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Every week, Merry Maids sends someone the same day of the week and there is no problem scheduling with them. If I need it changed, they would change it. If they need it changed, I would. The cleaning professionals do a great job when they come and clean the house. My husband thinks they’re very professional and nice. After they finish the service, the house smells and looks great. Merry Maids is good and people should give them a try.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for a long time. They come out every two weeks to do four bathrooms and for a long time, I was on a very good schedule with Debbie. She was very good. She was by herself and she did a good job. But all of a sudden, she left and I started having two different people come every two weeks and I did not like that. I even missed a few times. Nobody knew who told me that they would be here at a certain time and then they never showed. So there was a lot of problems way back. I could never have those girls again. Right now, I think Merry Maids is in disarray. Our office also has a great turnover of people talking with you, and that’s very hard too.

In the last three times though, I've had the same two girls in a row and I like them very much. But to get these girls, I had to switch to Tuesday being second instead of Wednesday being first, which I had for years. So I’m not happy about that. But I do wanna have those same two people. They’re excellent. They're very friendly and nice. They do a very good job and I am satisfied again.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for spring and fall cleaning for four years now. I was absolutely amazed the first time they came, how thorough they are and how they do everything. The ceiling lights, the refrigerator, the oven, the woodwork are pristine clean so I’m very, very pleased with them. That’s why I keep asking them back. I find the people pleasant to have around. They are very responsive to any special requests I have. I have a lot of antics and they’re very careful. They do not do anything on carpets or shelves that I don’t want them to do something on. I have things I don’t want anybody do but myself and they are very careful about that.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We had a cleaning service up in Logan so when we moved here, we decided to looked for someone. Merry Maids came up in the web search and I called them. They showed up and gave me a quote. Then they got started. They come out every two weeks and clean the whole house. They are friendly and they work hard. They're doing a really good job and I would recommend others to look into getting cleaning through them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We have Merry Maids come once a month and we’ve been having them do that for almost six months now. The people I’ve spoken to on the phone had been great. They give us a calendar with all the dates and we fill out for six months. They try to stay relatively consistent, they pick a weekday in the middle of the month and it changes if there’s a weekend.

There were a few times that I’ve met the crew and they’ve been very nice. They have a key here when they come in and we’re usually not at home. Their cleaning was good. The first time they came, they missed a small bathroom. I called and mentioned it to them and they came back and did it. They actually offered us a free fridge cleaning on top and we were super happy with that. They do a great job. They also pick up very fast. We have had a little party and had Halloween decorations out and they organized them for us. Merry Maids have been really good about reaching out and making sure we're happy. They have great customer service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I was very pleased in my experience with Merry Maids. I've used them way back and I just started up again. I like the crew that I have. Merry Maids has also been flexible when it comes to their scheduling. I had to reschedule once and it went fine.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Merry Maids come every two weeks and it has been fine with them. Their rep that comes keeps working away and if I ask her something, she answers. The most recent service was excellent and everything was done.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I’ve used Merry Maids for more than 10 years now and they’re a very good company. I have a regular service with them. When I originally set up the service, I called their local office and they came out to see the home and gave me an estimate. My interactions with them have been very good. The same team of cleaning professionals typically comes out to do my house. Usually, there are two people and they do a wonderful job. It’s a great service and definitely worth it for anyone who works full-time and can afford it. It frees you up for better things. I recommend them all the time and tell people that Merry Maids is a trustworthy company and the people who work for them are very good. You can always call them if there’s any issue and they’re very responsive.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The ladies who came out last from Merry Maids were excellent. It was only my second time but I was very pleased. They do a little bit of dusting in the living room and in the kitchen. I have them clean the sofas as well. And they’re very good. The representative I dealt with for scheduling was very helpful as well.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I moved into a new house and I could have done the cleaning myself. It’s a very small place. It’s a two-bedroom. But the lady who was there before was a hoarder. I cried when I looked at the mess she left. I couldn't do it all. I’m 59 and I also had so much to do to move. I needed help and Merry Maids was a wonderful service to be able to call. It was for a one-time cleaning service and the man in the East Hartford branch made room for a day relatively quickly. I appreciated that.

They sent this nice young lady on a Saturday. They were supposed to send out two people but nobody else could work on a Saturday so they got her to come out. So I was grateful. She was here for about four hours and she did everything. My big deal was the cabinets in the kitchen that I wanted done and she did them all. She also wiped down all the surfaces and the window sills. She vacuumed and washed all the floors. There are two full bathrooms and she cleaned them from top to bottom. She was a wonderful help and all in all, Merry Maids guys is very good.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information

1979
Memphis
TN
866-617-6175
www.merrymaids.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.