Call toll free
4.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is the largest home cleaning franchise network in the world, providing customized residential cleaning services through more than 900 franchise corporate-owned locations in the United States and 1,400 franchises worldwide, including 65 in Canada. Merry Maids is a part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands, which serves more than 10.5 million customers includes seven market-leading companies that provide a wide range of related home services.

Merry Maids Video
Merry Maids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1073 Merry Maids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Merry Maids' service was outstanding. I had them come out every three or four weeks and they always called me the day before the service schedule. Most of the time, we were good to go. But if there were any challenges, we would reschedule and they were always accommodating when I had to shift or ask them to come early. Also, their cleaning pros were always polite whenever I was at home and they were there. I would make myself scarce, though, because I understand that they need their time. I really enjoyed them and I hate to leave Merry Maids. I terminated the service only because I moved out of state.

Get expert buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Merry Maids cleans our house every second Friday of the month. Before the service, they would notify me through text and email. I'm at work when they come and when I get home, I've got a clean house. I'm satisfied with their service overall, but sometimes they miss things. I think it's every time they change crew. But if I complain about something, Merry Maids is responsive and they make sure that it gets fixed. Go ahead and bring Merry Maids in. They're a little expensive, but it is what it is.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have been using Merry Maids since the 90s and once a month, they come to my home. Since it's a recurring schedule, I asked them to call the day before to confirm and to give me an approximate time. Although the last crew was nice, I had difficulties with them. They weren't cleaning effectively and I was not happy about that. I'm not gonna pay money to have my house cleaned if I have to go in and vacuum, dust, and clean the toilet and stainless steel. I took pictures and sent it to Merry Maid's office.

I called them and I was about ready to tell them to forget it. It was frustrating when you hired someone to clean your house, but you had to tell them how to clean the house, or tell them they didn't clean the house, or ask them why their quality people didn't come in and double-check the cleaning of the house. However, they brought in a new crew and they were great. The previous crew brought products that smelled horrible and this crew brought products that smell very fresh, the cleaning was thorough and the carpets were cleaned. They did an excellent job. Still, you need to explain what your expectations are although you would think that you wouldn't have to do that.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We have a scheduled Merry Maids' service every other week. If our service is on Thursday, which always is, I get a text either Tuesday or Wednesday that they'd be out there which is great. Before they started doing that, I couldn't remember from one week to the other since one week they're on, one week they’re off. So it has worked out really well. My interactions with their reps have all been very positive. We like using Merry Maids because they're a national company. We've had them for years and we never had any issue, but if anything were to go wrong, there was always a course of action, as supposed to just hiring someone else's cleaning folks professionals that might come to their house. If they weren't associated with a larger company, I wouldn't feel as comfortable.

If they missed anything, we could call somebody and they'd come right back out. But nine times out of 10, they do a great job. We leave sheets and towels out, and they know exactly what to do. And since they've been coming here for a while, we're really pleased with how the service is every other week. The only drawback, occasionally, we don't get the same team, which is fine. The ladies, even the other team, do a good job. But when you have a team that comes every week, they know exactly what you want and how you want it, and you come to expect certain things. Nonetheless, they're willing to do above and beyond occasionally, whatever you need. They tailor their service to each individual's home too which is nice. I'm pleased with Merry Maids and I'd recommend them.

Merry Maids response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have a once a month scheduled service from Merry Maids and they notify on the email when it's time for the service. I live in a condominium where I have two bedrooms, two beds, living room, dining room, kitchen and foyer, so that's what they have to clean when they're here. Their reps have always been very pleasant. I don't always have the same, but I've seen enough different ones that I know them when they come. However, I had a large bouquet of flowers on the glass top table and they dripped. There were marks on the table too from the plants. I thought I'd to tell them about that but they cleaned it long before I told them and they did a very good job. A long time ago, they were not doing a good job at all. But now, I'm always pleased and it's unusual for them to miss something. I wouldn't have kept them if they hadn't improved a lot but I have a different team now. I'm pleased with their work and I would recommend them.

Merry Maids response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merry Maids?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have a few issues every now and then that I just contact the manager at the location, and everything has always been resolved. The last time that I complained was because I questioned the cleaning time. I live in a three-story townhouse and two people from Merry Maids did the cleaning in an hour. I was told that they should be there for an hour and a half, so it seemed that the cleaning was rushed. That was resolved, and I've always had positive feedback and help from Merry Maids.

The only thing with Merry Maids that I don’t like is that they can’t put anything back in the way that they found it. Things are crooked or sometimes, it feels like they rushed through it. But my house is always clean, and I just have to straighten things back up or re-go over a couple things, like desk that they have missed. But other than that, I really don’t have any complaints.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Merry Maids always reach out. We have our set time and date, and anytime that changes, Merry Maids will reach out and notify me, so we can make arrangements and plenty of time to do so. We have the bi-weekly service and they've been great. We’ve had one cleaning staff in particular that’s been coming out ever since we started using the service, and she does an excellent job. We love her. The service is always done pretty much the way I want it. Merry Maids is a good service and I've been very pleased. The only caveat is that the cleaning supplies supplied to the cleaners could be improved given today’s new services. Other than that, I recommend them all the time. They're consistent, they do an excellent job, and you don't have to worry once you sign up with them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I called Plano, TX Merry Maids for a price to clean a portion of my 1,744 SF home - just the living area downstairs and the master bed and bath. LR, kitchen,1/2 bath and home office downstairs and master bed and bath upstairs. No cleaning of 2 other bedrooms and bathroom. I was quoted a one time fee of $75 for the first time and then $149 + tax for a second visit in 2 weeks. Imagine my surprise when my credit card was charged $239.23! I called and was told there was an "In fee" of $149 + tax! That is not what I was initially told and I would've never agreed to a charge of $239.23 for light cleaning of about 800 SF! I don't know if this will be resolved, but I feel I was scammed. The fee of $75 was agreeable. The additional $149 + tax for an 'in fee' is repugnant.

Updated on 10/03/2018: Just spoke to the Owner of the Plano, TX branch. She stated, this 'misunderstanding' has happened only once before and she apologized. The $75 was the 'in fee' which was reportedly reduced based on my house size and the cleaning fee was $149+ tax. Either way, I did not hear about an 'in fee' on the first call, and I wouldn't have agreed to $149+ tax ($161.29) to normal surface clean 800 SF of space. The 2 ladies were here 2 hours which equates to $40.32 per hour to clean. That is more than I make an hour! She agreed to negate the $75 and charge me the $149+ tax. I disagreed, but she's charging it. I will dispute the charges on my card. I agreed to $75 for the first time clean. That's all. Charging me any more than that, is not a resolution. Very displeased and feel I was duped.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Merry Maids comes out every other week and they always do a very good job. They focus on one room or area of the house per visit and then they do a basic clean throughout most of the house. Anytime I need to reschedule, it’s very easy. The cleaning staff has been very nice and they usually try to stay out of the way when I’m here. I love coming home on the days that they clean because it’s so relaxing to come home when it’s done. I highly recommend Merry Maids and I have recommended them to a couple of friends.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Merry Maids sends out a team every other week. They always do an entirely professional job. Every other week, they concentrate on either the first floor or the second floor. I’m very satisfied with their service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have Merry Maids come every two weeks, and my experience has been wonderful. I had a good experience in scheduling the service, but for the past couple of times, I've had problem with the consistency of the cleaning. But they changed the cleaning team now, so I’ve been getting a better cleaning now. Merry Maids is really good and they are very professional. I love their cleaning so far.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Merry Maids is a great cleaning service. All of my experiences with them have been good. They make scheduling the service really simple. They would text me the day before to let me know that the girls are gonna be on their way the next day and the time frame. And if there's a change, I would text the rep back. He's very easy to work with and the people who come to clean are very nice too. I love the way that the bathrooms smell. They smell great. People should check out Merry Maids.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

There were a lot of things that can still be improved with Merry Maids. While the girls who come to clean are doing great, Merry Maids itself doesn't communicate very well. They changed the time of my appointment and I didn't know. I was at work and then I got told that somebody was at my door. Every week that they've come, they come at a certain time. So I anticipated that their arrival would be at the same time. I've also had issues with them in the past. There were times they didn't make everything clean and missed a lot of things. At one point, it was very frustrating. But then, they sent over a new team, and then that team has been doing an okay job. Still, there are things that can be improved, like putting things back properly when they're done the same way that they found them and to be mindful to lift things up and clean underneath them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have Merry Maids come out once a month and they have one room that they emphasized each time they come out. So eventually, the whole house gets a good cleaning. I don't get an email or a call from someone in Merry Maids but I can talk with them and reschedule if I want or if I'm curious as to when the appointment is gonna be. I have a young lady that has been coming out regularly for the last several years. Her name is Lauren and she does an excellent job. She's very pleasant and professional. She's focused on what she's doing but if we have time to chit-chat, we do chit-chat a bit. We've gotten to know each other that way. Overall, I'm very satisfied with Merry Maids. They always leave the house in order and it looks very nice when they're done. I also love the smell of the products that they use. I have recommended them to one of my neighbors and I know that they do come out and clean his house too.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I've been using Merry Maids for 15 years now and I've always been satisfied with them. The cleanliness after a service is certainly above average and I've had perfectly fine interactions with their cleaning professionals. They were just here the other day and they did what I asked.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been getting service from Merry Maids for six years and I don’t like their inability to hold on to their employees. Rarely do I have anybody on a team who was more than four months and that means I have people that's unfamiliar with how I want the place cleaned and they have to be trained to it. By the time they are, they're gone and somebody else is in their place and round and round in circles we go. Some of the ones who come in are awful and I had to clean the house after they leave. Right now, I have Charice who is wonderful. She prefers working solo so she's not having a trainee in here that she has to check up on every few minutes. She does everything right and does a little extra when she sees that they're needed and she can be out of here in about an hour and a half. I'm relatively satisfied with what Merry Maids does and I’ve told people about them. They're not perfect but they're better than me having to clean the house.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We’ve been happy with Merry Maids and the pricing is fine from our point of view. They are trustworthy, too. We've been using them for four years and we have scheduled services. I know the schedule that we have set up and they give us a heads-up typically one to two days in advance. Their cleaning people do a good job. It’s thorough to the expectations that we want but if they haven’t met those, they come back and fix it.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I've been working with Merry Maids for at least three years now and generally, the experience I've had when scheduling service with them has been okay. My wife had pleasant interactions with their reps. They get into a process and wrap it up. They do a good job once they're finished with their service. They also do an exemplary job with the hard stuff, like cleaning the tubs, the showers and the toilets. It takes them a few hours to clean and the home looks good after. I’d recommend Merry Maids, but I wish it was cheaper. Also, if Merry Maids wanted to spend twice the amount of time in the home and do it for the same amount of money, that would be good. But we're getting a satisfactory service for what we're paying for it.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been having very good experiences with Merry Maids. We're on a fixed schedule every other Monday and they call to tell us they're coming. Also, we're particularly fond of Randy. She's the gal who has been doing service for us for the most part and she’s been excellent. She’s a nice person to have around. She's a very pleasant person who has good sense of humor. We’re very happy with her service. I recommend Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We have a regular service set up every other Thursday with Merry Maids. It was the second time this maid has come by to work with us, and she did an exceptional job. We're very pleased with her.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Merry Maids is almost like family and they’re very nice. However, I feel sorry for them because sometimes only one shows up and that’s because someone is doing something else. I don’t think we’re a really big job but it takes them a little longer. Other than that, they've been excellent. We’re very pleased and we have recommended Merry Maids.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have a regular service set up with Merry Maids every two weeks and they're always prompt. They do an excellent job cleaning. So far, I have the same people clean every time. They're polite, courteous and professional. After they leave I check to make sure everything's clean and it is.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have Merry Maids every other week and they usually call or text me the day before to let me know what time they will be there. They do an excellent job most of the time. However, I had a bit of a problem last Tuesday because they said 9:00 to 10:00 then they texted me later and said it was gonna be at 12:00 to 1:00. It was a bit of a hassle to wait for them. But it only happened one time when scheduling a service. Also one time that I had them they did not clean my shower. I contacted the lady that runs it and she made sure everything gets done now.

One lady came by herself and she really didn’t do a great job. She was in and out of there in under two hours, which wasn’t enough time obviously for the amount of money that I’m paying. She missed a couple of things, but I’ve had her since then and she told me that she heard that I wasn’t entirely happy with her job. Then the next time she did excellent. If I’m home, I check a lot of times before they leave and they have been great and very pleasant about it.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The ladies from Merry Maids have been doing an exceptional job for me. They're very sweet and everything is done thoroughly. Working with them has been convenient and they're very accommodating to the time that works for me. I have them come out once every two weeks and I'm always very happy with the service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We have Merry Maids scheduled bi-weekly. Sometimes we've had things come up and had to move the dates around. Their cleaners are very nice, professional, and do their job. Our house is cleaned to our satisfaction, and I'm happy with the service.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My husband and I have had surgeries, so we haven't been able to do anything. Also, we are in our '70s and we have back problems. When we started with Merry Maids, we were getting them every week. But now we only get them every other week because they tell us our house isn’t that dirty. Once or twice we had to change our appointments and Merry Maids called us a couple of times to change days when there were holidays.

We’ve been with Merry Maids for three years now. The one girl that cleans has changed several times, so we haven’t had a really steady partner. But LeRhonda, the main person, has been with us for over 15 years now. She has been with the agency when we started and she’s excellent. In fact, if I could steal her away from Merry Maids to be my personal lady, I would. She's fantastic. She works with different other people but she makes sure that the other girls do their job okay. The girl we have now that works with LeRhonda is fine, but she has only been with us a couple of weeks. She still needs some guidance and LeRhonda is taking care of that.

The Merry Maids crew does a great job and it all looks really great after they are finished. Lots of times, I am not here but it’s really nice to come and walk into a clean home. I don’t like a lot of scents, so the products they use do not leave a lot of perfume. My house doesn’t need air fresheners and we don’t have any pets. However, at Christmastime in the last two years, they gave us air fresheners as presents and they were terrible. My eyes burn and I get a headache when I open it up. I’m a little sensitive to things like that, yet I’ve never said anything because they were presents. But they should find something else to give if they wanna give us something. We’ve never been discouraged or unhappy though with anything they’ve done. A couple of a times we mentioned things and right away, they did them. We've been really happy with Merry Maids and hopefully, we can continue to use them.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Merry Maids call to schedule and then they come and clean. I had a fine interaction with their cleaning professionals except for the one day when I couldn’t find my shirt and it came without a top. We were a little upset but that aside, their services have been fine.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have a reoccurring service from Merry Maids. I’m not usually there when they do it, but when I get home, the house is nice and clean. Merry Maids is worth the price and they do a very good job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I googled a bunch of cleaning services in my parents’ area and came across Merry Maids. They’ve been a very good service and I’ve got no problems with them at all. They're also good at working with my schedule. They don’t change it much. Also, they don’t have any issues or people not showing up. They come and clean every other week. They’re very reliable and they do what they say they’re going to do and they always do a good job.

Merry Maids response

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I'm out of town five days a week. I started Googling for maids and I came across Merry Maids. I set up a monthly cleaning team and setting up the first appointment was easy. When I schedule service, I call them and set up the time and they call me the day before to remind me. The level of cleanliness was good and they did a really nice job.

Merry Maids expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dallen Peterson founded Merry Maids in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1979. Today, 1,351 Merry Maids franchises exist across the United States. The company specializes in house-cleaning services, providing tidying or more in-depth cleaning services.

• Cleaning guarantee: If customers aren't happy with the service, the company will re-clean at no additional charge.

• Green focus: The company is environmentally friendly, using SHINEFFECTIVE maintenance products, which are "Design for Environment" approved by the EPA. The products are lower in volatile organic compounds and better for both the earth and humans.

• Employee screening: The company screens all employees thoroughly so customers can feel safe with them in their home.

• Team consistency: Merry Maids tries to send the same cleaning team each time so they become familiar with the space and cleaning routine.

• Online deals: The Merry Maids website has regularly updated cleaning deals so customers can receive discounts when using the company's services.

• Best for: Homeowners who are too busy or unable to clean their own homes, as well as renters who want their living space thoroughly tidied or cleaned.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Merry Maids questions and answers

What problem is Merry Maids trying to solve?
Merry Maids offers residential home cleaning services. Merry Maids allows homeowners to cross a major chore off their to-do list by keeping the house clean. Our customers trust Merry Maids to get the job done with teams that are professionally trained and background screened.
What sets Merry Maids apart from the competition?
Our cleaning services are thorough, consistent and customized. Also, cleaning services are available weekly, every other week, monthly or one-time. In addition to general household cleaning, we offer special house cleaning services for oven cleaning, refrigerator cleaning, window washing, packing & unpacking, wall washing, cabinet cleaning and post-construction cleaning.
All of our team members go through extensive background checks so that our customers can have peace of mind when opening their home to our team. We are bonded and insured so if an incident does occur, our customers are fully protected. Our nationwide network allows Merry Maids to offer the scale of the nation’s largest home cleaning business, with the service of a locally owned business.
What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
On every visit, our Merry Maids team dusts, vacuums, washes and sanitizes each room. Using our equipment and specially formulated products, we clean from left to right, top to bottom, so no detail is overlooked. It’s our products and processes that set us apart from the competition. We have a unique, proven method of cleaning various rooms and surfaces in our customer’s homes. Simply put, our goal at Merry Maids is to obtain 100% satisfaction in our service. No fine print. No asterisks. No worries.
How does Merry Maids measure success?
At Merry Maids, it is all about what the clients say and their experience with our service. We use a best in class system of client satisfaction measurement known as Net Promoter Score (NPS). This allows our clients regularly to provide feedback and tell us how we are doing. The voice of our clients is our key measure that fuels our future growth.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
The most common misconception is that our industry is just a maid with a spray bottle and cleaning cloth. There is a science to cleaning. At Merry Maids, we dedicate time and resources to Research and Development because we believe that we are caring for the home and individuals that live there.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Not only has the number of competitors in the industry increased, consumer behaviors and their involvement in the shopping process have evolved. More and more homeowners are relying on technology. This includes online price estimates, online scheduling and online purchasing. In the past, this was typically provided through a phone call to our company and our cleaning specialist would visit the customer’s home for an in-home, onsite estimate. However, more and more customers now expect a simple, quick, online, 24/7/365 shopping experience without having to talk to a live person.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Merry Maids?
What a great team of associates we have working extremely hard to serve our clients every day. The pride our associates take in delighting our clients through their cleaning, relationships and all the little ‘extras’ are what make Merry Maids the great company it is.
Has Merry Maids received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Currently, Merry Maids is celebrating 36th years in business. We were featured in the Franchise 500® list as one of the top franchises in 2013 and in 2015. We won Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Best for Home in Cleaning Services from 2013 to 2015. We are also ranked #1 by Entrepreneur Magazine in the Residential Cleaning category, named as a Top Military Friendly Franchise by GI Jobs Magazine, named as a Top Global Franchise by Franchise Direct, ranked in the Top Franchises for the Buck by Forbes.com and ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of America’s Top Global Franchises.
How has Merry Maids grown or evolved?
In order to meet customer demand, our company has grown in the social media and online space to make customer engagement easier and more accessible. We’re also adding e-commerce capabilities to our franchisees’ local websites and are continually setting up more franchisees with this functionality. Merry Maids is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day.

Merry Maids Company Information