1.22/5
Based on 9 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

13 Maytag Fedders Air Conditioners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

To keep this simple: We replaced a Goodman 4ton using 410a coolant with a Maytag 4ton 410a coolant and agreed on a new coil replacement. Well, first night I drop the temp to 71 and it goes up to 75 to give you and idea. I found it takes 3 times longer to cool than the Goodman we still have left for the other part of the house. I was told it would save me 25% on electric and cool down way faster. None of this is true. My electric is about 15% higher on average for the last three months. Something is wrong! It seems like the guys that put it in just come up with a bunch of excuses and won't debug the problem. I still have an issue, but I'm determined it get it fixed somehow.

Also, they came out 5 times to adjust the coolant and still had it wrong. Called a Lennox dealer to fix that, now I'm told I have a blockage or leak maybe somewhere. I just can't figure out why this is even happening. I should have got another Goodman and left the coil alone or at least made sure it looked the same. The one they put on does not have a plenum box - told that the new coil has it built in - but it don't look right when I looked inside. One last thing, calling Maytag direct is a waste of time too.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I bought this heat pump 12/31/1907 Model # DT4BD-030K. I had to replace the expansion valve, repair a leak where 2 lines crossed in the condenser, replaced filter and 9 lb of Freon. Another leak at a valve and 2lb Freon. Three weeks passed and it stopped cooling again and the tech found a leak in the condenser coil. This was 4 service calls around $1,000. Now they say it will cost over $2,500 to replace the coil. This unit is a piece of junk. Thanks a lot. This unit has a 12 year warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Heating and Cooling Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

How do I get this piece of junk to work? AC been on for 4 hours. Not cool. I put it on high. Stays on low, no cool air, wasting my electric.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I installed a Maytag unit in 2008 which was manufactured in 2007. The paperwork I received upon the execution of the contract indicated I would receive a 12 year warranty. The contractor ended up going bankrupt. I have experience numerous issues with this unit. Maytag refuses to stand behind their product claiming the product was not registered. Under agency law the agent, the person who is an authorized person to sell their units represented in writing the warranty Maytag issued. I am a disabled homeowner who was never made aware of the fact the product was not registered. Instead of being a leading company, which I believed Maytag was they are denying coverage.

Now the unit needs a new motor. It is incredible. Maytag said it will only warrant the product for 5 years because their agent did not register the sale of the unit. As a consumer I had no idea a warrant would change because it was not registered. This is totally immoral, unconscionable, and upsetting. I bought the product based on the written representations of Maytag. I knew a company of what used to be that caliber would stand behind their product. Now I discover they defrauded me with a printed promise which I did rely upon at purchase.

To allow them to avoid standing behind their product is truly close to a criminal act. I used to buy all Maytag products because of their reliability. Both myself and my son are disabled and feeling defeated because we believed a company would be stand behind their written word. The loophole only came to light after we tried to get the air conditioner repaired.

Original review: March 30, 2015

I had a Maytag M1220 series unit installed in August 2009. The unit had a 12 PARTS and LABOR warranty, which was a major selling point. Unit worked fine until April 2011. Coil developed a leak at that time. Warranty covered the parts, but not the labor. My service company ate the labor costs, unbeknownst to me at the time. The warranty should have covered those costs. The coil started leaking AGAIN in May of 2014. Maytag/Nordyne refused to honor the warranty AT ALL. The original 3rd party insurance company went bankrupt. (Wonder why??) Their new warranty company refuses to honor any warranty. The only names on my warranty paperwork are Maytag and Nordyne. There is no mention of a 3rd party. As far as I am concerned, my warranty is with Maytag/Nordyne.

It is criminal that a company such as Nordyne can get away with this type of thing. It is fraud, pure and simple. Dont take my word for it. Just do an internet search. I wish I had. There are tons of people in my exact situation. I hope there is a class action law suit out there. Nordyne has changed its name to Nortek. Their brand names are AmbiRad, Broan, Frigidaire, Gaz Industrie, Maytag, Nutone, Reznor, Tappan, and Westinghouse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

Upon discovering that the Maytag labeled heating/ac window unit in the Sunroom wasn't functioning I spent well over an hour online and on the phone with Maytag with frustration as the only result. Both online chat and phone support referred me to a number for Nordyne. After a considerable wait for them to take my call, I was told that they didn't manufacture that unit and were unable to help me. The unit was manufactured by Fedders, which is under a restructuring, and while Maytag was willing to put their name on the product, they were unable to provide any assistance.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Unit was advertised as a Maytag product and naturally I was expecting premium product. After receiving it, was very disappointed finding out that craftsmanship and quality was far from premium. Let's just say Maytag emblem was not even installed on the unit and was thrown inside the shipping box separately. I'm guessing Maytag is not very proud of their creations. Worst of it, I later found out that Maytag is Chinese manufacturer Nordyne. Make it story short, compressor totally failed few months later and had to be replaced. It was complete nightmare to deal with customer service. They would say anything just to get out from paying the claim. So much for their 12 year best warranty offer. At the end, they never paid the claim. My recommendation is do not buy Maytag.

Original review: May 23, 2013

The unit will not shut off after reaching desired temperature. It even runs after shutting it off. Then it takes a day or more before you can try to use unit again. I have two different units and they both have the same problem (1-24,000 BTU and 1-10,000 BTU casement). Has there been a recall on Maytag Fedders A/C window units? We purchased them at Home Depot in 2005-2008 approx.

Original review: July 9, 2012

Some years ago we bought a Maytag window AC. After working fine for several years, this year when we turned it on - nothing. No lights, not a noise. Electricity is there, but nobody's home. That's when I learned that we did not own a Maytag, but rather a Fedders that was built in China. I called Maytag and learned about the Fedders switcheroo. I then called a special number Maytag gave me. It turned out to be another Maytag number that gives a long disclaimer of all responsibility. As a non-bankruptcy expert lawyer, I doubt that Maytag can get out from under its responsibility when it sells under the Maytag brand name. That's what I relied on.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2010

Over a period of 3 years, I used my Maytag air conditioner about 25 times. It conked out and Maytag said they are not responsible because Fedders made them. I purchased it because it was a Maytag. Maytag should be boycotted for this dishonesty.

Original review: July 17, 2010

Maytag did not repair a 6 month old Maytag A/C that was dripping water. Water dripped in our wall, deadly mold grew. We were forced to leave our home (never lived there again!) And our son, now 6, had heart surgery. The A/C units compressor locked up less than on a year after purchase! We were out $850 a month for three years until we found a house we could live in not far from the hospital.

Original review: May 6, 2010

I called the Maytag service number on my Maytag window air conditioner and was told Fedders is in bankruptcy. Fedders made these under license from Maytag and I cannot get service and no parts exist to repair these machines.

Original review: March 17, 2009

we purchased a maytag airconditioner two years ago. it no longer works. it will cost me over $900 to fix it. Maytag says the labor and freon are not covered under the reliability clause in the 12 year warranty on the parts are covered. this is not fair and I will never buy another maytag product. they have been so bad to deal with that my ac company will no longer sell a maytag product.

Maytag Fedders Air Conditioners Company Information