Maytag Fedders Air Conditioners

Compare Heating & Cooling Systems

Research top Heating & Cooling Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

How do I get this piece of junk to work? AC been on for 4 hours. Not cool. I put it on high. Stays on low, no cool air, wasting my electric.

I installed a Maytag unit in 2008 which was manufactured in 2007. The paperwork I received upon the execution of the contract indicated I would receive a 12 year warranty. The contractor ended up going bankrupt. I have experience numerous issues with this unit. Maytag refuses to stand behind their product claiming the product was not registered. Under agency law the agent, the person who is an authorized person to sell their units represented in writing the warranty Maytag issued. I am a disabled homeowner who was never made aware of the fact the product was not registered. Instead of being a leading company, which I believed Maytag was they are denying coverage.

Now the unit needs a new motor. It is incredible. Maytag said it will only warrant the product for 5 years because their agent did not register the sale of the unit. As a consumer I had no idea a warrant would change because it was not registered. This is totally immoral, unconscionable, and upsetting. I bought the product based on the written representations of Maytag. I knew a company of what used to be that caliber would stand behind their product. Now I discover they defrauded me with a printed promise which I did rely upon at purchase.

To allow them to avoid standing behind their product is truly close to a criminal act. I used to buy all Maytag products because of their reliability. Both myself and my son are disabled and feeling defeated because we believed a company would be stand behind their written word. The loophole only came to light after we tried to get the air conditioner repaired.

I had a Maytag M1220 series unit installed in August 2009. The unit had a 12 PARTS and LABOR warranty, which was a major selling point. Unit worked fine until April 2011. Coil developed a leak at that time. Warranty covered the parts, but not the labor. My service company ate the labor costs, unbeknownst to me at the time. The warranty should have covered those costs. The coil started leaking AGAIN in May of 2014. Maytag/Nordyne refused to honor the warranty AT ALL. The original 3rd party insurance company went bankrupt. (Wonder why??) Their new warranty company refuses to honor any warranty. The only names on my warranty paperwork are Maytag and Nordyne. There is no mention of a 3rd party. As far as I am concerned, my warranty is with Maytag/Nordyne.

It is criminal that a company such as Nordyne can get away with this type of thing. It is fraud, pure and simple. Dont take my word for it. Just do an internet search. I wish I had. There are tons of people in my exact situation. I hope there is a class action law suit out there. Nordyne has changed its name to Nortek. Their brand names are AmbiRad, Broan, Frigidaire, Gaz Industrie, Maytag, Nutone, Reznor, Tappan, and Westinghouse.

Upon discovering that the Maytag labeled heating/ac window unit in the Sunroom wasn't functioning I spent well over an hour online and on the phone with Maytag with frustration as the only result. Both online chat and phone support referred me to a number for Nordyne. After a considerable wait for them to take my call, I was told that they didn't manufacture that unit and were unable to help me. The unit was manufactured by Fedders, which is under a restructuring, and while Maytag was willing to put their name on the product, they were unable to provide any assistance.

Unit was advertised as a Maytag product and naturally I was expecting premium product. After receiving it, was very disappointed finding out that craftsmanship and quality was far from premium. Let's just say Maytag emblem was not even installed on the unit and was thrown inside the shipping box separately. I'm guessing Maytag is not very proud of their creations. Worst of it, I later found out that Maytag is Chinese manufacturer Nordyne. Make it story short, compressor totally failed few months later and had to be replaced. It was complete nightmare to deal with customer service. They would say anything just to get out from paying the claim. So much for their 12 year best warranty offer. At the end, they never paid the claim. My recommendation is do not buy Maytag.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

The unit will not shut off after reaching desired temperature. It even runs after shutting it off. Then it takes a day or more before you can try to use unit again. I have two different units and they both have the same problem (1-24,000 BTU and 1-10,000 BTU casement). Has there been a recall on Maytag Fedders A/C window units? We purchased them at Home Depot in 2005-2008 approx.

Some years ago we bought a Maytag window AC. After working fine for several years, this year when we turned it on - nothing. No lights, not a noise. Electricity is there, but nobody's home. That's when I learned that we did not own a Maytag, but rather a Fedders that was built in China. I called Maytag and learned about the Fedders switcheroo. I then called a special number Maytag gave me. It turned out to be another Maytag number that gives a long disclaimer of all responsibility. As a non-bankruptcy expert lawyer, I doubt that Maytag can get out from under its responsibility when it sells under the Maytag brand name. That's what I relied on.

Over a period of 3 years, I used my Maytag air conditioner about 25 times. It conked out and Maytag said they are not responsible because Fedders made them. I purchased it because it was a Maytag. Maytag should be boycotted for this dishonesty.

Maytag did not repair a 6 month old Maytag A/C that was dripping water. Water dripped in our wall, deadly mold grew. We were forced to leave our home (never lived there again!) And our son, now 6, had heart surgery. The A/C units compressor locked up less than on a year after purchase! We were out $850 a month for three years until we found a house we could live in not far from the hospital.

I called the Maytag service number on my Maytag window air conditioner and was told Fedders is in bankruptcy. Fedders made these under license from Maytag and I cannot get service and no parts exist to repair these machines.

we purchased a maytag airconditioner two years ago. it no longer works. it will cost me over $900 to fix it. Maytag says the labor and freon are not covered under the reliability clause in the 12 year warranty on the parts are covered. this is not fair and I will never buy another maytag product. they have been so bad to deal with that my ac company will no longer sell a maytag product.

the two year old compressor was faulty. shorted to the ground. ruined the unit. to replace it the cost is over $900 for the labor and freon. totally not a good warranty.

Maytag Fedders Air Conditioners Company Profile