1.61/5

345 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

I use electric because I was in a condo and that is what they allowed but now I love it because it is easy to heat up. I just wish it had an attached shelf to sit thing on. Cooks great. I am in a house now and I still prefer it over gas or charcoal because I don't have to buy anything. Just plug it in. It can cook fast or slow if I am doing something in the kitchen.

Hello Rosalie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for your Masterbuilt Smoker. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying it and find it easy to use. Again, thank you for choosing Masterbuilt!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Purchased electric grill in 2016 to replace my traditional Weber. Good choice. Get timely and equal cooking. It does not smoke up the patio or the inside of the house. Easy to keep clean. Clothing that I wear during grilling is 80% less saturated with odor from the conventional charcoal grill.

Good Morning Frank,

We appreciate the amazing feedback and are happy to hear your grill is fulfilling all your grilling needs!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This is an electric grill. I like it because it's easy to get going, easy to clean, and saves time in setup and cleanup. It has a grease catcher which is easily accessible. Cleanup involves removing the grill, and optionally the metal reflector panel if it has gotten especially dirty. Great for a small home and just two users.

Hello Mark,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your Masterbuilt electric grill. We are glad that you found out the grill is easy to get going, easy to clean and it saved you time. We appreciate having you as our customer and invite you to take a look at the recipes on our website at www.masterbuilt.com.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I received this smoker as a Christmas present 8 years ago. We live in Northern Wisconsin so in winter I didn’t want to have to deal with proper temp control with a coal or wood fueled smoker. I have used mine about 8 times a year doing brisket, ribs or fish. I use it summer and winter and have never had an issue with it. Maybe the newer ones are not built like the older ones but I love mine.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Used my new Masterbuilt 30 for the first time yesterday. Now I don't claim to be an expert pit boss, but, or perhaps "BUTT", I have cooked tons of meat both professionally and privately. I am 65 years old. Got into smoking meats about ten years ago and have always done the offset thing in my propane grill and developed what I thought was a nice product. However, something was missing. The product this little smokehouse delivered on the first try was an entirely new experience. It produced a rich smoke flavor that stays with Ya for a while. The meat was tender and juicy.

Added a meat probe to the process for the first time, it's the only way to go so you don't have to stick the meat every 10 minutes as it finishes cooking. The machine worked perfectly and only used about a cup of chips total and produced plenty of smoke. If you open the door for a couple seconds each time you load chips, the temp will come down a few degrees causing the heat element to come on and make the chips smoke. Surely this is not a commercial grade machine, Masterbuilt openly tells you that. "Butt" for a couple bucks this is gonna give very acceptable results.

Be sure and PRE-SEASON as directed. Note: THIS IS YOUR OVEN. CLEAN the removable parts after EVERY USE. If you slop sauce all over the inside you're gonna have to clean it up. Burned sugar doesn't make for good flavor. Old grease and fats don't make good flavor, they go rancid and taste awful. Not to mention health risks. Keep the unit covered and out of the weather. The only criticism I would have at this point is that my exhaust is on top located fairly close to the control panel so at some point expect the moist smoke to affect it somehow. I monitor this and turn the machine to the breeze to minimize this and make the smoke go the other way. In conclusion - It was LOVE at first sight BITE! I recommend this product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 17, 2019

I purchased a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker in May and, after first usage, noticed temperatures inside were 50 degrees higher than set point as measured by two different thermometers (both of these agreed with 5 degrees). Talked to customer support and received another controller after waiting 6 weeks. Installed it and now temperatures are way lower than set point. At this point, I would just take a simple manual control and thermostat that worked. This thing should be taken off the market.

Hello Barry,

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your smoker. We would like to help, would you please send us a private message with your model number, serial number, case number and contact information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2019

I have called the customer service number and no answers. I have called over 5 times and have waited 15 minutes to an hour with no one answering. I have put in my info for a callback and just get crickets. I have emailed and filled out an online form with no response. My smoker doesn’t heat up after using only 6 times. I store it inside and I’m very disappointed that it already stopped working.

Hello Neil,

Thank you reaching out with your experience. We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning properly. If you would, please send us a private message with your model number, serial number, address and full name we would be happy to assist you. Again, we apologize for your experience and hope to have your smoker working again soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 3, 2019

My husband and I purchased this smoker last spring. We are new to smoking and only used it twice. Both times last season, it seemed to take forever to come up to temperature. I took it out for the first time the other day and could not get the temp to increase more than 3 degrees. It is long past the warranty dates, but we need to know what we can do to fix the smoker. I called Masterbuilt and waited on hold forever (twice). I left a message and got no call back and even emailed. This company does not respond. I don't want to have to buy a new smoker, but if I do, it will not be MASTERBUILT!!!

Hello Carla,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear that you smoker is not functioning properly and you were unable to get assistance. If you still need help, please send us a private message with your smokers model number, serial number and your address. We are more than happy to assist you however we can. We hope to hear from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2019

I PURCHASED the Masterbuilt MB20072218 from eBay. First one worked fine one time. Second time would not heat just beeped. Return for exchange. Received another new one several days later. Remote control will not work in fact can hold batteries. Have tried calling numerous times, left call back number and have sent two email forms to them with no response. Am amazed that they are still in business. Will continue to get replacement for the remote control. Wish me luck as so far have not had any results.

Hello Jerry,

We hope by this time you have been able to get assistance with your smoker. If not, please send us a private message with your smoker's serial number and

your address. We are able to help with any replacement parts that you need. We hope to hear from you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2019

I am never one to write bad reviews, but this time I must. This Father's Day my wife purchased me a brand new Masterbuilt MES340G electric smoker with the cold smoke attachment and a Masterbuilt cover (made by them for their machine). We put it together, covered it and put it on the deck. Today, 10 days later, we uncovered it to pre-season it and when we opened the smoker it was full of rain water and beginning to rust. We contacted customer service hoping to get a new cover but the representative started out the conversation by telling me it was my own fault and we should have stored it in a dry place, that their covers are not meant to be waterproof.

Taken back by her lack of concern, I said I would make sure I leave a review reflecting their lack of customer service and her response was simply, "That's fine, it's your prerogative". After a little back and forth her best solution was to sell me a better cover at a slight discount. So, we spent hundreds of dollars on a brand new smoker, used their cover to protect it, it fails, and I can basically GFM. SHAME!!!!

Hello MaryEllen,

Please keep in mind that the Masterbuilt covers are weather resistant but not water proof, so you would have wanted to cover the smoker with a waterproof cover if storing the smoker in direct weather conditions. Storing the smoker under an overhang or in a garage would've also helped with ensuring the smoker stayed in working condition since it has electric components. If you have additional concerns, please send us a private message we are happy to discuss further.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had a MB 30” smoker that I liked okay. It was easy to regulate the temp on. After it quit on me (I thought a little too soon), I decided to get another one at Sam’s. I was getting into smoking a little more. I was frustrated from the beginning because one of the legs wouldn’t attach. My husband was going to have to borrow his brother’s tool and die to make a hole so the leg could be attached. I ended up propping it up on bricks. Had it a little while and the LED panel went out. Checked around and I would have to replace the entire control panel. In the meantime, I figured I could just count the beeps to set the temp and set a timer. Then the thing just wouldn’t heat. Not even warm. Do you think I’ll ever buy another one? Especially after reading about the poor customer support....

Hello Sandy,

We are sorry to hear of your experience. If you are still in need of assistance with the unit, please send us a private message with your smoker's model number, serial number and your contact information. We hope to help you with your smoker.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2019

I purchased an electric smoker for my birthday, assembled it and turned on low temp to cure. After about 15 mins it clicked off and will not come back on. I’ve called customer service for the past 3 days, left multiple call back messages and sent emails as well. Each time I’ll hold for up to 1 hour before I hang up. Not sure what to do other than return to place of purchase for an exchange....

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for considering us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2019

I purchased this smoker in 2015 and use it throughout the year. I had to replace the digital control panel about 2 years ago because it became delaminated and then quit working. Tech support told me that it failed because I kept it outside. I told them that I bought the Masterbuilt cover with it and then I was told that their cover is just a dust cover to use inside only. I purchased the new control panel and a new heavier duty cover on their recommendation. This winter I pulled the cover off and the new control panel had delaminated. It still worked with the remote, so I have been using it since.

Tonight, I am supposed to smoke two shoulders for a work function tomorrow and they are now in my oven all night because the smoker quit working altogether. I found a replacement control panel on appliance parts, but just saw another reviewer that did the same and tech support won’t help connect the 2 wire panel to a 3 wire smoker. I’ll be purchasing another electric smoker soon, but not a Masterbuilt.

Hello Chip,

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you would, please send us a private message with your smoker's model number, serial number and your contact information. We hope to hear from you.

Resolution response: June 4, 2019

Company contacted me and is resolving the issue through the warranty

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have a module 2002215 Masterbuilt electric smoker that has a meat probe stuck at 310 Fahrenheit. I have called the company 2 times and the automated service said it would call me back with the next available service member and I haven’t been called back. I also emailed twice with no response. If we can’t get help with the products from this company just don’t buy them period.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 1, 2019

I've called the customer service line 5 times in the last 3 weeks. All 5 times after waiting at least 15 mins I opted to use the call back service. Not a single callback. That's the reason we are up to 5 calls. Drop good money on a smoker that hasn't worked since I did the initial cure on it. Had my first Masterbuilt for 12 years and bragged to all my buddies how good these things are. Now I'll be eating crow instead of ribs. Completely disappointed.

Hi Michael,

We apologize that you have had difficulties in reaching our customer service department. We have been experiencing an unusually high call volume and are working quickly to take care of each and every customer. We would be happy to assist you with your unit and make sure you are back up and running!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2019

Second use and 5 hours into cooking flames shot out the front of the smoker - burned the front control panel and burned through the propane hose... very scary. We did check the smoker for temperature. All seemed well up until the 5th hour. Also the thermometer did not keep accurate temperature. It registered 'bout 15 degrees below what the temperature actually is. I had to use a hand held heat senor that I put through the back air regulator... I wish I could upload the pictures I took.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

When experiencing flames from underneath the unit it is possible that there is a misalignment of the venturi and valve orifice. The burner box needs to be positioned as close to the front as possible and it should also be more parallel to the ground then “V” shaped. It is also important that the regulator hose and burner are cleaned, and a soapy water test is done before each use to eliminate any leaks or obstructions. The soapy water test instructions can be found in your manual.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2019

Bought this Masterbuilt Smokehouse (GS30D) from Amazon on 4/3/2017. Used the unit almost every weekend with average results (couldn't regulate heat very well) but learned to adapt to fluctuating cooking temps. Noticed this spring the bottom as well as the wood pan are totally burned out and not safe to use. Not what I would expect for an otherwise well made smoker.

Hello John,

If you could, please send us a private message with your smoker's model and serial number from the data plate on the unit and your contact information. We would like to discuss this with your further.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: May 20, 2019

On two different occasions there was a flare up where the hose from the propane tank enters the smoker. The first time I was able to turn it off and restart the unit without any further problem. The second time, I wasn't so lucky and the flames melted the hose that connects to the propane tank and the dial that controls the flame temperature. Both cases occurred at a lower flame setting.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

When experiencing flames from underneath the unit it is possible that there is a misalignment of the venturi and valve orifice. It is critical that the burner box is positioned as close to the front as possible and it should also be more parallel to the ground than "V" shaped. It is also important that the regulator and hose and burner are cleaned, and a soapy water test is done before each use to eliminate any leaks or obstructions. The soapy water test instructions can be found in your manual.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Never buy another one. Clicking noise when plugged in. Found a fix on YouTube with WD40 and compressed air. But why should I have to do this every time I want to use it. Poorly built, poorly engineered. You would have thought that since it's a smoker and meant to be used outdoors, a little waterproofing of the electronic components would have been done, but obviously Masterbuilt didn't want to spend the extra 25 cents to seal the units from moisture.

Hello Glenn,

We are sorry hear about your experience with your smoker. We can assist you with warranty items, replacement parts or troubleshooting assistance. Please send us a private message with your smoker's model number, serial number and your contact information. If there is an issue with your smoker, we are here to assist. We hope to hear from you.

Best regards,

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: May 13, 2019

I bought this smoker and used it 3 times and like it, it is a slow smoker so it takes time to smoke your food. On the 4th try the unit would not heat up, as it turned out the controller unit was bad. I tried for 7 months to get a replacement for the factory but was never able to get one ordered. It is almost impossible to get someone on the phone, I left my number for a return call but did not get one. I sent a email to customer service detailing the part number model number the serial number and all credit card info need to the purchase the part, after over one month with no response from their customer service I was able to find another supplier. Don't buy any more of their products.

Glenn,
Thank you for taking time to share this, we are very sorry this was your experience. For your security, we do not process orders through email. The telephone Customer Service Department is working hard to reduce their hold

times. Due to the technical support they provide as well as orders, they do have longer calls at this time. We apologize for your experience. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you with your unit!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I bought this smoker at Academy sports in November of 2018. I’ve used it 5-6 times with no problems. After preparing my meat I turn the smoker on and it started heating up. I notice the temperature is reading randomly showing random temperatures. After it started heating up it then shuts off and shows error code EAA1. After reading reviews and tips on how to correct it I then unplug it and unplug the controller from the wires and thermostat and wait about an hour. Plug it back up and turn it on. Same thing immediately the error code EAA1 shows up and it won’t turn on. I would expect this smoker to last longer than 6-7 months. I would not recommend this smoker to anyone.

Hello Marvin,

We are sorry to hear that this has been your experience with your smoker. Please contact our Technical Support Team directly between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday for assistance with your smoker.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I purchased this Smoker in December and followed the directions for usage, and when I tried to smoke, it wouldn’t smoke!! I tried it once again with the same results, no smoke. I called customer service and they told me to use a hair dryer to get the smoker warmed up, then turn the thermostat on high and that would get the chips going. The higher temp Indeed started the chips, but because the pan isn’t even close to the element, they soon went out. I contacted the customer service once again and was basically told the same thing. Higher heat, then turn it back to the smoking temperature and it would work. It doesn’t! If I could return it for my money back, I wouldn’t hesitate. I cannot recommend this Smoker to anyone.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bought new in box, built it, plugged it in, had a beep and absolutely nothing else. Contacted Masterbuilt who determined it was the digital control unit, but amazingly they don't have a replacement in stock and can't tell me when they will. I feel certain they continue to manufacture these everyday, with a controller that they don't have in stock. My brand new smoker is gathering dust, never been used. Choose another brand.

Hello Randall,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you could, please send us a private message with you information and your smoker's model # and serial #. We can work with Customer Service to see if we can get additional part information for you.

Best regards,

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: May 4, 2019

Called Masterbuilt, put on hold too long, hung up. Emailed support, received reply, looked like a form letter. Replied asking questions pertaining to the letter they emailed me. After a few days without a reply, I emailed them again asking them to answer my questions, nothing received from Masterbuilt. I waited about 4 more days, emailed Masterbuilt again asking them to answer the questions, again no reply from Masterbuilt.

I had no choice but to call and wait on hold. I asked for a supervisor. They were going to look into it and call back. The lady that called back was extremely authoritative, meaning she talked at you, not to you. Zero respect gets zero respect. She said they don't answer emails, I was supposed to call and order the part in the form letter. I told her they should tell folks to not reply to the emails since they don't answer them, they only answer original email.

They want me to order a part that only worked 7 times. No offer of free shipping or discount since it wasn't used much. I stored it for years and only use it for occasions like Easter. I wouldn't purchase this smoker if I knew it would only smoke 7 times then start clicking and no longer heat up. Being a disabled veteran I don't have the funds to waste on equipment with cheap electronics. I don't know which was more disappointing, the rude lady or the smoker breaking after 7 uses? Either way, Masterbuilt has lost my respect.

Hello T.M.,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and would like to discuss your experience further. If you still have the smoker and would like to resolve your issue, please send us a private message with your information, your smoker's model # and serial #.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: April 30, 2019

My 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker apparently shorted out! It got so hot it warped the door, cracked the plastic, and burned the insulation in the door. I had not used the smoker in a week and was preparing to move it into my garage for storage. As I grabbed the smoker I burned my hand on the outside casing! The controller was not on. I've attached some photos, but keep in mind I had already taken the smoker out by my dumpster and it rained when the photos were taken. I wouldn't be leaving this review if it were not for the total lack of concern Masterbuilt provided when I contacted them. Yes, they will leave their typical reply as an attempted C.Y.A, but the fact is I contacted them and their response was basically "What do you want us to do about it?" Instead of "Here is what we are going to do."

I told them I did not want another smoker and wasn't looking for anything other than to let them know of this issue that could have been much worse and could be for someone else! I suggested they take my smoker and perform a root cause and corrective action. They were confused as to why I would suggest this. It is clear by the other reviews on this website that Masterbuilt is only concerned about one thing and that's selling their faulty and hazardous product. Their owner is obviously a greedy coward as well to completely avoid the obvious here, just look at their score on this website! There are a lot of great smokers out there folks! Don't go by the "best electric smoker" reviews on a web search either. It's been proven Masterbuilt pays these people off! Masterbuilt is #1 at one thing and that's being the worst smoker and most complained about on this website!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for sharing your experience, we've located your case information and are more than willing to discuss your experience with you. If the smoker is still in your possession and you would like to discuss it, please send us a private. The remarks you made to our Customer Service Team over the phone and through email reflected that you did not want assistance with the unit so your information was notated accordingly. If your position has changed, we hope to hear from you.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I bought this unit at Sam's 3 weeks ago. It is advertised as having bluetooth to phone with a distance of 100 feet. I can literally stand inside my garage 3 feet away and it drops out. I called the number for customer service and waited on hold for over an hour. When someone answered finally, I was told they have no Bluetooth issues and it was WiFi interference. I tried explaining I lived miles from anyone and don't use WiFi for anything. The woman just talked over me and insisted there were no Bluetooth issues. When she finally stopped talking, I asked her if she had internet and she said yes, of course. I asked her to type in Masterbuilt smoker Bluetooth issues in Google and see if that might change her position. Crickets. I don't like being lied to.

I submitted a warranty claim as requested and as of this writing, have heard the same crickets. When I took the pictures of the model and serial number as requested I also noticed the top plastic cover on the door melted. I included this with my email but again I've heard nothing. Honestly, I don't need the Bluetooth and that's not why I bought it but if you are going to upscale a product due to some fancy gizmo, then cannot should work as advertised. I've used this a grand total of twice. I'll be sure to update this in the event someone from the company steps up and does the right thing but based on what I'm reading, I'm not all that hopeful.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We apologize for the delay in reaching out to you. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model and serial #. We are happy to work with you. Masterbuilt has been updating the Bluetooth feature in our smokers. When wireless connection is blocked, your Bluetooth strength will weaken or drop out altogether. Common reasons for poor Bluetooth strength include wireless devices and Wi-Fi routers often use the same bandwidth as Bluetooth, causing signal issues.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Purchased a Masterbuilt MES 145S Smoker and every time I try to start it, I get an EA11 error. After calling Masterbuilt, they returned my call. I gave them my serial number and model number but they could not find it in their system. Even sent a picture of the serial number and model number. I called them back after a few days and was told that they reported it to their supervisor but have not got an answer. Said they would get back to me as soon as they find out. What kind of company does not know what parts go to their equipment. Googles AE11 error and it said to hold a hair dryer to the sensing bulb. That did not work. Said it only happened when it was cold outside. It was 65 degrees. It has been 9 days since I purchased this smoker and I am still waiting for an answer.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we are sorry to hear this. If you could, please send us an email with your information so that we can discuss this with you.

Thank you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: April 21, 2019

Purchased this smoker a few years ago, only used it a few times a year, Wanted to smoke a chicken for Easter and the smoker began smoking, and the whole electric cord melted. Luckily, this was on a concrete patio and away from the house. Very disappointed.

Hello Teresa,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our technical team directly between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website at www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I only used this smoker 3 times and the digital thermometer quit working. I phoned the company and they said they would ship me a new thermometer. That was almost 5 months ago. I do not recommend this junk to anyone.

Hello James,
We apologize for your experience. Could you please send us a private message with your information? We would like to look into your order details. We hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: April 6, 2019

Have the Masterbuilt propane for two years. I do enjoy it. Bottom is made with very thin metal. It is welding in and it stink, that it cannot be replace. The round piece that was also welded on, rusted away. I highly doubt Masterbuilt has a fix. I do treated it as per manual to take care of this. Should have spend more for something that will last or a better warranty.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you for providing your review. If you would like to discuss this situation, please provide us with your smoker's information or you can contact our technical team directly at 800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday.
Best Regards,