4.58/5
  • 1 star
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Even the simplest long distance move can be stressful for a family or business. You can rest assured knowing that you'll be receiving the highest level of service and a worry free interstate move with Long Distance Van Lines.

Our staff of moving experts have been thoroughly trained to ensure you'll receive the most professional interstate moving experience and assistance for all of your important relocation needs.

We offer a wide range of services to support your needs throughout your move, such as, full-service packing, fragile-only packing, and storage in transit.

Long Distance Van Lines Video
Long Distance Van Lines Gallery (6)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 26, 2017

302 Long Distance Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Joy in customer service was very nice and told me that the minimum move is $3500 for 575 cubic feet. I told her I was moving very little and we went through each piece with dimension of each piece. She said I was way under the 575 and that she padded the rest of the quote with several boxes and an 8x10 rug and a 9x12 rug. I was confident that the price would not change as she told me that unless I changed and added more than what she padded, the price stays the same. Someone else becomes your customer service contact who does not let you know the day and time of your move until the day before. The movers come and pack my things on the truck and then tell me that I'm way over the 575 cubic feet by $1000, however I stuck exactly to the list given for the quote but did not even pack my 9x12 rug. He said he can either unload the truck and cancel the move (they have my deposit) or I need to pay the $1000. No choice but to move on.

The next day my customer service contact, Lissa, calls to see how the move went. I complained about the price adjustment with good reason. She said someone would get back to me. No one did. I called 2 more times and no one got back to me. The movers came to my destination to unload in less than 2 hours (that's how small the move was) and my 8x10 rug was missing. I called CS again to let them know as well as to say no one got back to me regarding the price adjustment. They delivered my rug almost 1 1/2 months later and the mover was not happy about it complaining about the company, and still nothing from customer service regarding the price adjustment. Highway robbery!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I enjoyed working with Long Distance Van Lines mainly because of the way they were doing what they do best. I wasn't sure that they were the right people to have in the relocation until after a few minutes of working with them. My belongings were all handled with care to ensure that nothing was damaged in any way. Their service delivery is just out of this world, and you will want them to relocate you when you are moving.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Are you relocating any time soon but you feel unsure about the mover to use? Well, Long Distance Van Lines are the one I would suggest you try. I used their services relocating to Ohio late last month, and I liked their operation. Even if you are new to the entire relocation thing, these guys will make it easier for you to understand how things are done to ensure the safety of your belongings. It will be much of a gamble to go for a mover you know so little about or haven't heard anything about either. I would choose this mover any day.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

A long distance relocation is best executed by a mover who has experience. One can anticipate a problem before it even happens and one such a mover is Long Distance Van Lines. I used their services, and it was a clear indication that they had done such relocations before. They didn't have any problem executing the move and took measures to ensure that everything in the house was delivered safely. It is their many years in the industry that made me feel like I was in the right hands. Nothing was broken or damaged in any way. You will want to use them when moving.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I would strongly recommend looking at another moving company. We were initially given a lower quote to gain our business & later charged an addition $3K. To make matters worse we lost or should I say was taken around $1k in property (power washer, camera lenses, drills, wines & numerous other things).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Long Distance Van Lines?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

DO NOT hire LONG DISTANCE VAN LINES! They will bait and switch, all of the employees, Jay, Lissa and Nadine LIE all the time! I was quoted $5,00.00 PLUS and ended up pay close to $9,000.00! I moved from Texas to Florida, my last move with North American from California to Texas cost me $7,300.00, same distance is this move but I moved with 1/2 of furniture! They will call you two times after you paid your 1st deposit of $1,200 or more than change the price after they have your money.

They told me 'this is a family owned business' and 'all of our drivers work and are paid by them" A BIG FAT LIE! My driver was from the Russia and he was a subcontracted driver. I paid extra for full pack; they took all my close and literally threw them in a wardrobe box (not folded) hangers and all! I had furniture damaged, glassware broken and much more. I am a disabled veteran and have move at least 35 times in my life; this move was a NIGHTMARE! The driver sat on my property at his home for 7 days before he decided to deliver. I moved from Austin, Texas area and the driver company name was "Rodeo Austin"! And he was Russian or from UKRAINE. DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD JAY SAYS, HE IS FULL OF BS AND YOU CAN TELL FROM HIS NY ACCENT!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Stacy was as sweet as pie to get business. She was the bait. She also told me they had their own trucks. First lie. They showed up with two Enterprise trucks that were rented. That meant they unloaded them in Maryland and reloaded them into a tractor trailer to be delivered by another Russian guy who bid on the delivery! This is a scam if you ask me. After setting up with Stacy I received calls demanding the deposit payment before the deposit date I set up. They told me a price of 11,000. After the first truck was loaded the driver boss "JOHN" who was Russian told me it would be about $4800.00 more dollars.

When the second truck was partially loaded he raised it to $18,000! I argued that the final price he quoted me was a lie and he said they would call me the next day and correct the price because he would be fired if he states less at the price he guaranteed me at the $4800.00 to what was loaded in the truck and he couldn't go less than $250.00. To my surprise he stated to me to argue the price because they quoted me $11,000.00 from the start. I have a witness he stated that. The next day, I spoke with a Paula and a Nadine. BOTH rude and refused to make the adjustment. After a few days of arguing they came down $750.00. NOT the 2,000.00 more than "Johns" estimate. They also demanded the rest of the deposit money to be wired to them. Yup. No more credit or debit card.

Delivery day came to new house. Driver demanded cash or Postal Money orders or no delivery. They held our stuff hostage unless they were paid in that form. Numerous items damaged or destroyed. I have pictures of all damaged items including pics inside the truck of smashed boxes. Boxes smashed. Missing items. $4000.00 dining room table gouged and scratched on the top, base chipped missing wood. Chairs varnish removed from their tape. A HARD THICK plastic wheelbarrow smashed one cracked on the dump end. Snow thrower housing bent along with a handle. Beer sign with oil stacked upside down with total disregard of this end up and fragile. Oil destroyed towels and packing. 10 picture frames destroyed. Parts missing for metal shelving. China broken.

I paid over $125.00 for them to special wrap our glass curio cabinet and plasma tv. $400.00 Curio cabinet glass smashed and broken. Side of $5000.00 Plasma TV cracked. (Those 2 items I paid for them to protect). Our dryer was dented in two spots. Papers thrown throughout the trailer. These people are vandals and thieves and have total disregard to people's possessions. I can understand a few things broken but they showed total negligence in their work. IF YOU USE THESE GUYS YOU WILL BE SORRY.

I've contacted the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, Consumer Protection Agency and a detective in the county they are in. I spoke with a Sheriff in Florida where their papers said they were from. He drove to the location on the paperwork while I was in the phone and they had no business at that address! He said these places screw people and when they get a ton of negative reviews after a couple of years they change their id and name and start all over again. BEWARE! I have their forms to fill out for claims, no answer. They want receipts for items which we don't have for older items. SCAM! I'd give them 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Hands down THE WORST experience I have ever had with any company ever. LIARS AND CHEATS! I'd give them a zero if I could. Bait and switch. Quoted us one price then demanded several thousand more dollars when they showed up at the house before they would load the truck. They took FOREVER to deliver only HALF of our things. They didn't know where the other half was or when it would arrive. We were not notified of this. Our "representative" Paula was the most useless person on earth. She was a liar and eventually started dodging our calls. When the first half did arrive, half of our boxes were crunched and they didn't wrap half of the furniture so it's all scratched and dinged.

Dodged calls and would not tell us when or where the rest of our things were. FINALLY located it sitting in a warehouse in Indiana (we moved from TN to OR) and were notified that it would "probably leave in 5-7 day." When that finally arrived, more crunched boxes, more dented and scratched furniture. They didn't wrap or protect in any way my clearly antique, 90 year old doll house, made by my great grandfather, tossed it in the truck, then broke it and lost the piece that they broke. Every complaint we've had with them has somehow, according to them, been our fault. I am beyond livid.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I was looking for a place that would move our piano. We have a stunning Korg grand piano and so I was concerned about that. I went online and Long Distance Van Lines was the first one that popped up. They also responded right away. I made sure they understood that the piano was my first concern and that they knew what to do with it. I wanted to know if they knew how the piano needed to be handled to successfully move it and that they're not just heavyweights who could move it. I talked to a man initially and he seemed to be very knowledgeable. I had one person who was a little crabby but everyone else was absolutely wonderful. And the actual movers were very friendly, thorough and did a very good job.

But I did not understand why they were not going to take our stuff to us immediately. We moved to Holland about 145 miles from Homewood, Illinois and I thought they were going to be going directly to Holland or they have to stay overnight before they unloaded our stuff in the morning. But as it turned out, they unloaded the truck and brought it to someplace else before they delivered to us. I also didn't know that our stuff was going to come off the truck and get reloaded on another truck. We moved a lot in our life and that's where problems occur with damaging goods. But other than that, they were great and we are very satisfied. We would highly recommend Long Distance Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We had done a long-distance move about four years prior. We did it ourselves, it took us four trips and it was very cumbersome. So this time we decided we were going to let somebody else do it. We found a new job and my company was picking up a vast majority of the cost. I Googled top moving companies and Long Distance Van Lines came up as second as far as the number of stars so I reached out to them. There was another one, Colonial, which did everything online and I didn’t care for that as much.

Everyone from Long Distance Van Lines was very pleasant and helpful but their reps can’t give me an exact timeline, up until within 24 hours of the move, as far as when they’re going to be here. I had to call back a couple of times to ask questions and they were very good. We chose the basic move option and I did all the packing myself. They came out and did a quick run-through, so we could tell them everything that was going and what was staying. Then, they loaded everything up into the truck.

The whole experience was good but there were some things there that took me off-guard and there wasn’t a clear explanation of all of that upfront. If you had any furniture that wasn’t of standard size you have to pay extra because everything is done by cubic feet or cubic inches. We ended up spending an additional $2,000 that we weren’t anticipating because we didn’t have traditional-sized dining room chairs that would stack. They were rounded so they took up more square footage in the van and we ended up taking additional square footage in the van that wasn’t in the original quote. So it’s important for them to be more clear on that type of thing.

Also, I told them that we have a large slate pool table which they categorized as being already boxed but you can’t really box the pool table when it’s of that size. So that created additional expenses as well. The moving crew was very pleasant and professional, though. They did a great job. We had a very large house and a lot of stuff which they packed into the truck really well and quickly. We didn’t have anything broken and nothing was missing, so that was also a plus.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I lived in Napa, California and I was paying over $6,000 for state taxes alone. So I decided on the spur of the moment to move and cut off that expense. I moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida where there are no state taxes and where they are very good to retirees and give special dispensations for buying homes. I called Long Distance Van Lines and their sales reps were very friendly. I scheduled the move right away and the movers were on time, efficient and swift. They wrapped everything and were very nice and extremely professional. I also had some things unwrapped and they put them in the boxes. Consequently, the heavy objects did not collide in the traffic coming over here.

Also, the girls told me that the movers might be bringing a semi when they picked up the various boxes I had packed, so I thought I would have to rent something to take them to my storage place in Inglis because the semi's not going to get in there. But when they came, they said they brought a truck that will fit in there and I was delighted. Everything turned out beyond compare and things went smoothly. When they arrived here, they were very considerate in putting everything in the right place and there was no damage on anything. It also was hot and miserable for them at the time they delivered the furniture but they were diplomatic about it. I found everything packed up nicely but I haven't finished moving in and some of the boxes are still out there.

After the delivery, one of the girls called and asked me if I could give them a write-up about everything working out fine. She was courteous but I wasn’t able to call them back because I got tied up with so many things and I was raving mad trying to find my computer. I was finishing a book and the computer was very important to me. I thought I lost it and that one of the guys from Long Distance Van Lines took it out of the box. But I finally found it where I last hid it which was in a tiny suitcase which had been in my closet for a while. So it had nothing to do with their team. It was just me having a problem finding things.

Their reps were also sweethearts. I got these sheets from them that said “We love you” on the front of every page. They sent them over to OfficeMax because I didn’t have a fax that was working. Overall, Long Distance Van Lines was wonderful and perfect. From the beginning to the end, their team was all beautiful and gracious. They did a terrific job and I was very happy with them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Moved my parents from their old home closer to mine and our movers did a great job of ensuring that everything was well taken care of. The office admin people also deserve a shout-out for being so patient with all my questions! :D

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

There were no problems in a move involving many flights of stairs, a ton of items (four bedroom house) and an interstate transfer – what does that tell you about these guys? I don’t think there are many moving companies that I would give full marks to, but these guys surely deserve it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Customer service was great and the movers themselves were even better. I had a smooth, flawless move which kept to the schedule they had given and got all my stuff to my new house without a scratch. 5 stars and I wish I could give even more for how happy I am.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I hired Long Distance Van Lines to help me with move from Washington to Arizona. And they didn't disappoint me. The moving team did fantastic job. A heavy downpour started just as we were about to move and that could have set us back a few hours. My movers simply made sure that all the packaging was water resistant enough to survive the short trip between home and truck and went right to work. They managed to finish despite the rain and nothing was damaged, neither from the rain nor for the moving process. At my new home, the sun was shining and everything went off without a hitch. I highly recommend them for any move.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

The sales department is very nice. Then, when they pick you up they bait and switch you. I went over in detail twice with the sales rep on the space for my move. When the crew got there they informed us it would be $2500 more than the original quote after they got everything on to their truck. They blame it on their software. Their customer service staff is horrible. They are rude and unprofessional. We left several messages for the supervisor that never returns any calls. They failed to inform us that our order was to be offloaded to a warehouse and then loaded onto another truck for delivery. It sat for more than a week. All they do is say "refer to your contract" for everything. They offered us $300.00 credit for their errors in calculating our move.

They wanted us to sign a release that says we are restricted for filing any complaints that says the following "of and from all actions, causes of action, suit, proceedings, debts, judgments, excluding damage claims, BBB, Yelp or any other complaints and demands whatsoever in law or equity, which Releasor ever had, or now has specifically excluding the facts and circumstances related to all manner excluding damages and/or loss of household goods with Releasee, this release shall become valid upon price adjustment/credit on bill of lading in the above amount. Customer will not do chargebacks on any payments made to Long Distance Van Lines"

When they finally delivered 20 days after the pickup, we were rushed into signing off on their paperwork saying that all items were delivered in good condition. They would not let me count boxes and was in a hurry to leave. There were numerous crushed and damaged boxes on the offload. Additionally, they were supposed to put all furniture together that they took apart. They failed to put everything together in their hurry to leave. We would not recommend this company to anyone. It was an awful experience and they do not care about their customers at all.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have moved a number of times over the past few years but have never had an experience that made me want to use the same company again. There was always something missing, like a good price, fast and efficient movers, knowledgeable support staff etc. I had none of those problems with Long Distance Van Lines – they ticked all the boxes. From the time I first spoke to their office with Amanda to the time the last item was unpacked at my new apartment, everything went smoothly and without drama. Just excellent.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We had a very positive experience with Long Distance Van Lines and would like to share it with you. I have some very large pieces of antique furniture that need special care and can only be moved with great difficulty. We were given LDVL’s contact details by a friend who had used them to move her antique furniture recently. Stacey from the long Distance Van Lines office was instrumental in our choice – the entire process was explained in ample detail to reassure us. The movers were just as good, if not even better at their job.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I am so happy that the moving team did exactly what I wanted. I requested for quick services. They did not charge me any extras. They also kept their promise and ensured that my move was smooth. Thank you for your business!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Long Distance Van Lines served my move from Oregon to California and they did not disappoint me. The estimate was very easy. Amanda, sales person, gave me very reasonable price and explained me whole move process. The moving team: Guys were awesome, worked hard and fast, very polite and efficient. All my furniture and other stuff arrived in a perfect condition.

Original review: July 27, 2017

We had a tough time with Long Distance Van lines for these specific reasons: - Customer service would give timelines and call time details and then not call at those times / customer service was vague with contract details and over promising verbally. - Quotes for pricing were changed several times by customer service and then on day of by movers there to pick up our stuff, resulting in a much more expensive move. - Boxes arrived damaged, crushed, ripped open, and with rat feces inside on our clothes. - Boxes were upside down, sideways upon arrival (we were told by customer service that the boxes being ripped and smashed was our fault for not using enough paper inside the boxes). - Mattress bags arrived ripped and mattresses were dirty. - Boxes arrived without numbered stickers that were given by movers to account for our things.

- Couches, lamps, and furniture were ripped and broken - contract states bumps, chips and cracks are not the movers fault and therefore not covered. - It was very difficult to submit a claim due to the lengthy claims form that includes a notary stamp, three estimates for repair costs per item, and weights of "leg of chair" only vs. whole chair - when the return is .60 cents on the pound. - Movers damaged wall bringing in the couch, and then shrugged when asked about it. - Refused to put together furniture that previous team had taken apart even though contract includes assembly of furniture. - All in all very expensive for 1,000 cubic feet furniture with terrible customer service and package delivery quality.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 24, 2017

WARNING: this company is a scam. They give you a low-ball estimate over the phone to rope you in, and then arrive and double the estimate. I initially went with them as their representative Jay, who gave me the estimate, assured me that they were a family-run company, not out to get us, and would be completely honest and dependable. When the movers arrived, they told me that they gave us an inaccurate estimate and in fact the price would double.

At that point we had no choice but to let them take our things since we had to move out. However, as you can see it is a total scam. They gave us the estimate and immediately doubled it upon arrival. I attempted to call the main office when they opened on Monday to discuss the estimate I received, and no one ever called me back to discuss my concerns, despite calling them DAILY for 10 days. I have yet to hear from them, so will now publicly spread the word of this company as far and wide as I can. STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 18, 2017

We were looking for a reliable moving company to move us from our 2-bedroom in Maryland to a 3-bedroom in Oregon. After getting quotes from 6 companies, we decided on Long Distance Van Lines based on the reviews and the competitive pricing. A number of people told us that that was probably only because we would be slugged with lots of fees afterwards. The sales manager, assured us that wouldn't happen, and he was right. The movers, did a great job and we paid exactly what we had anticipated. Would recommend Long Distance Van Lines any day.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I hired Long Distance Van Lines to help me with me move from Illinois to New York and I had awesome experience! The quote was accurate and all staff was super friendly and helpful. Girls from customer service answered on all my questions before, during and after relocation. All of my furniture arrived in the same condition and the moving team placed it wherever I asked them. I'm happy and satisfied.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I'm not kidding -- We had a great time with Mike and Alex who are a great bunch of guys. I am a single mom and managing 2 energetic, little boys on moving day is a huuuge task! They made sure that my kids were safe, even showed them around the truck, which they thought was so cool. Angie from the Long Distance Van Lines office was so great in helping me manage my move. For the fantastic service I received, the price was just as fantastic.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I like it when someone does his job perfectly without any need for a reminder. I am always keen on locating such service providers. That is how I ended up with these movers. By the first call, I was sure I had chosen the best team. They tried their best to ensure there were no disappointments. I am so grateful to them.

Original review: July 12, 2017

It is hard to find a honest moving company, but Long Distance Van Lines was a pleasure to deal with. They were extremely flexible with their scheduling and offered very fast delivery. Our move was particularly difficult because of large amount of furniture we had, but Long Distance Van Lines handled it with ease. This was truly a 5 star experience.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Trying to choose a moving company can be very difficult because it seems the claims can sometimes be too good to be true. I was really apprehensive and did a lot of research before deciding to use Long Distance Van Lines, which was actually the first company I looked at. Their prices are on the lower end, their staff knows what they are doing, from the customer service to the movers. My stuff arrived safe and sound, nothing damaged, nothing lost.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Let me just say that I have never seen a more careful team of movers in all my 4 or so moves. Alex and Jesus did a great job of ensuring all my items were nicely packed, secured and transported. The loading and unloading were flawless. Jay, who I think is the Long Distance Van Lines sales or customer service manager handled all my questions promptly and professionally. I think there's no part of any moving job she isn't familiar with. Overall a fantastic experience and a definite recommend from me.

Original review: June 24, 2017

A lot of people don't use moving companies because they might have heard horror stories. With Long Distance Van Lines, it's the opposite - these guys are the most professional, trustworthy and efficient people in this or any business. They moved my 1-bedroom apartment without a single problem, no damage and all on time. Jay, who works in the office, is a great asset to the team - helped with all the admin and gave some great tips.

Long Distance Van Lines Company Information