2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.36/5
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Even the simplest long distance move can be stressful for a family or business. You can rest assured knowing that you'll be receiving the highest level of service and a worry free interstate move with Long Distance Relocation Services.

Our staff of moving experts have been thoroughly trained to ensure you'll receive the most professional interstate moving experience and assistance for all of your important relocation needs.

We offer a wide range of services to support your needs throughout your move, such as, full-service packing, fragile-only packing, and storage in transit.

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

Long Distance Relocation Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Long Distance Relocation Services?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I believe this company is a scam. My things were picked up by untrained day laborers in a borrowed truck and taken to a storage facility. It has been nearly one month and all my things are still there.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairsRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

BEWARE!!! If I could give this company a 0 I would. They did the old bait and switch. They gave me 1 estimate upfront. Then on moving day, loaded 1 truck which left immediately for a warehouse in Maryland then loaded part of the 2nd truck. Then they told me that I was just about at my cubic feet and that they needed an additional $5000 to complete my move. At this point a good portion of my items were on their way to Maryland and 1/2 my items were still in my house. Mind you... I spent a lot of time confirming my items by emailing them a full list as well as speaking with a "Quality Assurance" Rep who was viewing photos of all of my items online. So how was my estimate so far off???

And... The Foreman did a walkthrough in my house prior to loading the truck. Never once did he tell me my estimate was inaccurate prior to the load. Fraud!!! I had to come up with the money in order to get my items back. I admit that I had some additional boxes but nothing that was worth an additional $5000. Total rip-off! Then they offered me a small amount of money back but wanted me in return to waive my rights to complain or take action. Are you kidding me! BEWARE of this company! Hire a mover that is more upfront and honest about the cost of your move! Moving is very stressful and there should be no surprises.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We moved from Texas to Virginia and my husband choose Long Distance Relocation Services to be our movers. We gave a rough estimate over the phone of things we were moving and how many boxes etc we would need. (They packed us also.) They gave us a quote that was binding and we paid our deposit. We were moving in 8 days so we couldn’t back out without losing our 1900.00 deposit. So we were set. I then went online and read many reviews of them. Some were horrible and it scared me to death. They said things about them demanding more money, breaking things, stealing things, not delivering as promised etc. I was terrified. I asked my husband what had he gotten us into.

Well the packers and movers came on the day we asked them to. They sent 3 guys that had heavy accents but communication was never an issue. They were VERY respectful of us, our property and were conscientious of the job they were doing. When they were just about finished packing and loading it came time to sign the contract. We were informed we owed like 2000 or so more than estimated. I blew my fuse and demanded to know why and they must be wrong. The guy quietly explained how he had arrived at his figure. I then counted the boxes myself and he was right. I had underestimated our things. So yes they wanted more money but it was a legitimate thing.

We then part ways with the understanding that they would deliver our things in Virginia on the day we indicated was the first date we could accept or within 7 to 14 days of that date. They delivered 6 days after the first date we could accept. The guys who brought our things to us were just as respectful and dedicated to doing a good job. The driver arrived 2 hours earlier than expected to make sure he could get the 18 wheeler into the parking lot and to the loading dock. No extra money other than what we had agreed on at the day of packing and loading was asked for. I received all of my items with none missing. What also surprised me was the fact they packed and moved many antique glass and china with nothing really being damaged or broken. Yeah there were a couple of things that had a chip but nothing major or costly.

These folks are great. I appreciate the job they did and highly recommend them. I believe the disgruntled folks are those looking for free services or something. Bottom line don’t be scared off by what you might read. These guys are inexpensive and deliver a service with integrity. Give them a chance. You won’t be sorry!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Long Distance Relocation Services is one of the most professional companies in any industry that I have come across. From the office staff to the movers to their vehicles, it is a quality operation that delivers as promised on all counts. My first contact with them was on the phone with Joy, the sales manager, who was very helpful and informative. The scheduling was perfect and my movers were Jeremy and Nick, who were polite, efficient and generally good guys overall. My move was from Indiana to Iowa and it was from a 3-bedroom apartment to a larger house.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We were having our furniture and other large items delivered to our new home out of storage and these guys did a great job of handling the bulky and very heavy things. Just want to add that the movers helped us arrange even the items that they had not moved.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is going to be a long review because of the lengths this company went to in order to extort money from me under great duress. First and foremost, I would urge you to seek another company immediately. Long Distance Relocation Services (hereinafter “LDRS”) has customer service representatives that are very convincing. My father used to tell me that a dumb person goes through life making mistakes, never gaining any knowledge from it; a smart person goes through life, makes a mistake and gains valuable knowledge so they do not make that mistake again; and a WISE person learns from the mistakes of others. Please be wise if you are considering the use of this company.

First, please note that the “five star ratings” listed above are repeats. Look at the avatar pictures for the people leaving comments. Several have left two or more ratings and they are the same person (just look at the pics next to the name). The rating is inflated. Trust me. I found out the hard way. I researched the cost to move myself via self-move companies (price of the truck, cost to trailer my vehicle, cost to have movers load and unload the truck) and I was looking at approximately $2,500.00 for the move. Plus, I would have the added stress of driving myself, my two dogs and my trailered car ten hours to my new home. Stressful, yes. However, it was feasible.

On July 3, 2018, I was contacted by “Angelo” with LDRS for a quote on my move from Indiana to Virginia. I was provided a quote for $4,580.00. However, because he knew I was on a budget, he was going to give me a discount on the Tariff percentage “to help me out.” The quote he provided to me, after going through a list of furnishings I had, was $3,426.00. It was $1,000.00 more than the DIY route. However, he assured me all my belongings would be wrapped, well cared for, LDRS was not a brokerage company that would hand off my belongings to another carrier, they were rated as an “Elite Member” with the Better Business Bureau, and it would alleviate the stress and worry of having to trailer my car, move, drive, and deal with dogs.

For $1,000.00, I considered what my time was worth, the stress of the travel, I researched the BBB site he provide to me (fake) etc., and decided I would proceed with LDRS. On this date, I provided a deposit of $1,269.00; leaving a balance of $2,157.00. It was explained that one-half of the balance was due at pick up and the remaining balance was due at drop off.

The estimate states: "THIS IS A BINDING-NOT-TO-EXCEED ESTIMATE BASED ON CUBIC FT. OR WEIGHT. IF THE LOAD CUBIC FT/WEIGHT IS HIGHER then the estimate, the customer shall pay the same rate for transportation per cubic ft/lb agreed upon at booking. If the load cubic ft/weight is less you will receive a credit of the difference. Please be advised that this is customer's responsibility to notify the company of any changes to the estimate. If your moving dates are between 25th and the 5th of the month peak seasonal rates may apply."

In reading this, you would believe that the quote was binding. You would be incorrect. On July 13, 2018, I received a call from “Quality Assurance” to go over my list of property again. Based upon the conversation with the QA representative, I was sent a second quote, which increased my move to $5,171.00 with and additional deposit of $348.00 due immediately to book the truck. When I asked about the quote increase, I was told it was better to overestimate because I could count on money back from the company if I didn’t use all the space. When I asked her how I would know what space I used, the QA rep indicated it would be “clearly marked” on the truck so there was no question as to the cubic feet my property utilized.

At this point, I had serious alarm bells going off. I was provided an initial quote and now, it was being changed. I should have listened to my inner voice and pulled out of the deal. However, because my move was scheduled for less than seven days out, if I had cancelled at that time, I was informed I would not get my deposit back. I had no choice but to proceed. Now my quote (with a courtesy discount) was for $4,098.00 and I had paid a deposit to date of $1,617.00; leaving me a balance of $2,481.00 (half due at pick up; half due at drop off).

I was informed my scheduled pick up would be July 19, 2018 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. The truck did not arrive until 2:00 p.m. When the movers came in, I was greeted by “George,” who was going to go over the contract with me in detail and get further information from me. He asked me to show him what was being moved. I took him room by room and pointed out everything that had to be moved (primarily furniture) and I told him that the boxes I had packed could wait if needed. He explained to me that if I exceeded the cubic feet in the quote, they would have to charge me more for the space. I very clearly told him that I did not want to exceed the quoted space as I could not afford a higher move cost. I instructed him to load all the large furniture onto the truck first and that the boxes should go on last.

He and his partner (it was a two man crew) began taking out my larger furniture. Some boxes were taken out to “make room to wrap my furniture” so it was not damaged during the move. The quote tells you that furniture pads are included. However, it does not tell you clearly that if the movers use tape to secure the pad, they charge you $4.00 per roll to do so… and they use a lot of tape. Additionally, you will be charged for labor costs while they are wrapping your furniture in “free” padding.

I was unaware that the movers were taking all of my big furniture out to the driveway and not loading it on the truck. I was inside, finishing the boxes that were coming with me separately as I would be without my belongings for up to ten days. After an hour or so, I went out to look at the truck and what was in it. Imagine my surprise when I walked out and saw all my large furniture wrapped and sitting in my driveway. When I asked where all the boxes had gone, I was informed they were loaded on the truck already. I was then told by George, that all of my furniture in the driveway would not fit within the quoted cubic feet as the boxes had already taken up over 400 cubic feet of space in the truck.

He informed me that I had a decision to make. He could take a couple of my bigger items and fill it to the quoted 773 cubic feet. Or, I could enter into another contract for 1100 cubic feet of space, which would accommodate all of my furnishings and boxes, however, it would be considerably more. He then sat on the back of the truck and said: “I’ll give you a couple minutes to talk. You have a decision to make.”

As I walked past all of my large furniture, I realized there was no way to get that much furniture in the back of the truck my boyfriend had brought to help with the move. I was furious. I called the Customer Service line of LDRS and I spoke with “Michael” as Angelo was unavailable. I told him of the situation and that I felt I was being extorted. I had instructed the movers NOT to put the boxes on until the end as I needed my large furniture moved. Michael told me he was going to see what was going on and put me on hold. During my hold, I was disconnected. Try as I might, I could not get a live human being back on the phone to discuss this with me. I left several urgent messages to please have someone call me immediately. No phone calls were returned to me.

After approximately five minutes, George sauntered back into my home and informed me that he could not stay all night. He needed a decision from me. I asked him to remove the boxes from the truck and put my furniture on as previously discussed. He refused to do so. He stated that he was “paid to put things in the truck but to take them off would be another job you will have to pay me for.”

He then produced another contract for the 1100 cubic feet of space on the truck and told me I needed to make a decision. He could take a couple more of my belongings and leave me to deal with the rest (which they also would not move back inside). Or, I could enter into a contract for $5,610.00 to complete my move. With my deposit of $1,617.00 already paid, I would have a balance of $4,000.00; $2,000.00 payable immediately and $2,000.00 payable upon delivery. The final cost was over double what I was originally quoted in my “binding quote.”

At this point, I had no other choice but to agree to the increased cost. I was due in Virginia to begin a new job on July 25, 2018; I had no way to get my large furniture to my new residence without incurring large costs; and I had no way to get my property already loaded onto the truck off. I truly felt like I was being robbed in my own home. It was presented as: “Pay extra or else…”

On the morning of July 21, 2018, I received a call from “Brandy” in customer service who was returning my call regarding the move. I told her of the situation and she stated she would look at the paperwork when she got it on Monday (my belongings were scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday) to see if they could not discount the final bill due. She provided me with a direct telephone number and email so I didn’t have to go through dispatch… neither of them work now.

Conveniently, on that same evening at approximately 8:00 p.m. I got a call from George to let me know they were ready to deliver my belongings the following morning and that I would need to have cash for the balance due or money orders from the United States Post Office. July 22, 2018 was a Sunday. I had no way to go to a bank or post office on Sunday. I asked if the furniture could be delivered on Monday to allow me the ability to go to the bank. I was informed if I did not accept the property on Sunday, I would be charged for the hotel room and time of the workers having to “stay overnight to accommodate my request,” as well as a $600.00 preferred delivery date charge. George said he would accept money orders if they were issued by Walmart and if I would agree to accept deliver Sunday morning. I reluctantly agreed.

My property was delivered on July 22, 2018. When the movers arrived, it was not in a LDRS truck. Instead, it was a truck belonging to RUSS Express Company, bearing the USDOT# 2919710, which is not a registered vehicle of LDRS per the US Department of Transportation. A totally different crew of movers were present and I discovered that “George,” who I had spoken with the night before was not George. I showed him the money orders and told him that once my property was off the truck, I would give him the money orders. This was refused. Until I handed them the money orders, my property was not coming off the truck. I offered to leave the money orders in a neutral location where he could see them until my belongings were unloaded. This again was refused. With no other choice, I gave him the money orders and prayed my belongings were actually in that truck.

The movers got to work and began bringing in my belongings. Not surprisingly, the boxes came in first. Why? Because LDRS had my belongings taken to a warehouse, where it was staged, and reloaded onto a broker’s truck for delivery… something Angelo said they did not do. My washer, dryer and refrigerator would not fit through the main door of the house I was renting and needed to go through the garage.

At this time, “George/Not George” reminded his worker, in Russian that the contract called for a “long carry fee of $75.00.” Unfortunately for him, I understand Russian and told him he would NOT be charging me anything additional. I helped his mover with bringing in the washer, dryer and refrigerator. I was helping his employee with the trip through the garage and getting them in place. Additionally, I was already overcharged and I had no additional cash or money orders to give him. He backed down at this point and agreed not to charge the additional $75.00.

Finally, the movers completely destroyed my $1,500.00 dining room table and my $250.00 entertainment center in the move. When I say destroyed, I mean the wood was completely shattered and cannot be fixed. In total, this move cost me $5,600.00, which was $2,200.00 more than I was initially quoted; and I had over $1,750.00 in furniture completed ruined (with a reimbursement cost of .60 per lb… you going to come weigh the table???). LDRS gave me no choice but to pay the additional monies or leave my furniture behind and pay to move it later. I have yet to hear back from Customer Service regarding the overcharging of this move or reimbursement for any of the damage to my furniture.

This company quite simply extorted me and they did it with precision. I intend to follow through with a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Please… do not use the website they provide you. Go to the BBB and look them up yourself. Do research if you are considering using this company. However, I would urge you to be the WISE person here… and learn from my mistake. This company practices in legal extortion. Don’t be a victim like me. Walk away from this company as quickly as you can.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The team that executed the move deserves more than the five stars than I can give here. They made a very stressful time much easier by being so accommodating and working hard to stick to the schedule. I would recommend them to everyone.

Insufficient response received
      Original review: July 25, 2018

Long Distance Relocation services is the same moving company as Long Distance Van Lines in Plantation Florida. Do NOT ever use these moving companies. If you have used this company it is highly suggested you contact both states that you moved to and from to the Consumers Attorney General to determine if how they are practicing is within guidelines. Their practices are not within normal guidelines. In addition, they use multiple numbers from various places, as of now we have approximately eight known numbers that they can call from. DO YOUR RESEARCH but STAY away from this company.

They reel you in with a great quote and then everything is downhill. From the customer service and deceit, they are a dishonest company. Please do your homework before you hire a mover. If they quote you get it in writing that you want a flat rate and that you want an actual price and not a quote. Then have it in writing that they cannot charge you more than what is in your contract. We made the mistake of not doing this. Lesson learned.

The movers came out at 4:30 pm and didn’t leave until midnight. Once our items were loaded and locked they then proceeded to try and go over the contract at midnight. They had a mover, although nice spoke minimal English and could not properly explain the overages. We then proceeded to try and get price reduced in which they stated they could not locate our items. They then send us a supposed “discount form” which was deceitful and get you.

After much time trying to contact them and they never getting back with you, they finally called to give us a date. Our items were then contracted out to another mover to move items from their Baltimore warehouse. We were not told this but finally made sense why we had to pay by cash or postal check orders. The customer pays directly to them. This is a great way of not having to report the other half of the unpaid invoice on their business. This company is a nightmare. I’ve also been able to get in touch with another customer by coincidence and they experienced the same situation. We only got in contact by luck. We are working together to collect information and research about this business as well have outside sources to assist us. This is NOT a reputable company and save yourself from the stress.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My experience Long Distance Relocation Services started off well. I was with a different company and changed to them because of their 5 star rating. I had a very short window so they were able to turn my move around very quickly. They did my inventory and gave me a good quote so I decided to change to them. My pick up window was July 3/4. They ended up scheduling my move on July 4th with a pickup window of 1100am to 2 pm. On the 4th I got a call from the driver at about 9 saying he was just leaving Austin and would be there right after lunch, it’s about 230 miles. I texted him at around 3 pm when he hadn’t made it yet and he called me back at around 3:30 and stated he would be there at 4:30, at around 4:45 I was out front and a man sitting in his car in front of my house came out and said the movers were running about 30 minutes behind. So finally at 5:45 the truck pulls up.

The movers stayed in the front and finally came to the door at 6:15 pm (on 4th of July). After a bit they told me my original estimate of 850 (or so) cu feet was incorrect and my new estimate was 1100, now around 7 pm. I argued that everything on my original estimate was what I had to ship, as a matter of fact I had about 18 less boxes than on my original estimate. I was scheduled to leave the next morning so I didn’t really have an option so I told them to go with the new estimate, it’s now 7:30 pm. So I went in one of the rooms with the dogs and at 8:30 one of the guys knocks on the door and tells me they have to leave to go get more blankets, 2 of the 3 of them had to go, I suggested that only 1 go and they leave 2 to wrap furniture but they said no they both had to go, I asked how long they would be and they said it was a 20 minute drive so they would be back in an hour.

The one guy they left worked like crazy… They finally returned to my house at just after 11 pm. It took them until 2:30 am to complete my move. Once they got done they told me that my load filled just under half the truck which was 2200 cu feet, even though I had everything in the truck on the original estimate and 18 less boxes than what was on the original estimate, the option they gave me was that they could take some stuff off the truck… I really felt like I had no option so I agreed to just move forward.

When we were completing the paperwork they charged me for 1100 cu feet so I argued that they had told me it was less than have the truck so they reduced it by 50 cu feet to 1050, I also noticed that they had 800$ for packing materials, my original estimate was $240? When I questioned him he stated it was for blankets and tape, he had several boxes on the list that he did not pack, he told me there was no one to call since everything was closed (it was 2:30 in the morning) again the response was the same, we could take something off the truck. I went ahead and signed everything because they wouldn’t leave otherwise and told them I would call the office first thing. I started calling the office first thing that morning and for four days got promises of callbacks from Brandi, the representative handling my move, she hadn’t received my paperwork and couldn’t do anything without it.

Finally on Tuesday afternoon I just asked to talk to her supervisor and was put on hold for 32 minutes, I finally had to hang up because I was at work and had a meeting, I called back later that day and was referred to Leann. The call started like she had already made up her mind, she didn’t listen to one thing I said and kept stating that I didn’t pay for a full pack so I was being charged correctly. I kept trying to explain to her that the only things they packed were on the original estimate, the glass from my entertainment center and 2 pictures, she absolutely refused to listen to me. Said she would get back to me, shortly later she called back and said because I had a glass armoire and hutch they had to be specially wrapped, I explained to her that both of those items were wood and contained absolutely no glass, the only glass in my shipment was the entertainment center which was in the original estimate.

Her response to me was that I signed everything so I was pretty much stuck with it, I explained to her again that by 2:30 in the morning I just wanted them out of my house and called to try to resolve these issues as soon as the office opened that morning. I felt like I had no choice, they would not leave until I signed the documents. At this point she offered me a $250.00 reduction, my bill is $1800 more than the original estimate and again I had everything on the original estimate and significantly less boxes.

I then asked to speak to her supervisor and was informed that she reports to the owner who does not take calls from customers. Having absolutely no recourse I told her I would just like to know when my items would arrive. She told me she would have my rep (Brandi) call me within the hour, that was Tuesday afternoon, as of now, Thursday afternoon 5:30 I still have not heard from anyone on when my stuff will arrive, it has now been 9 days since my scheduled pickup.

So Friday morning I called again and spoke to a very nice lady named Lisa, she was very helpful and referred me to Paula who is the office manager. Paula called me and appeared to listen to what I was saying. She said that my shipment was going out either Friday afternoon or Saturday and would be here either Sunday or Monday, she stated that she would call me Saturday and let me know. She also agreed to review my shipment to see what boxes were actually packed by the moving company to try and resolve my charges. I never received a call from Paula so just assumed that my shipment would be here Monday. At 1pm on Sunday the truck driver called and wanted to deliver my belongings at 10pm on Sunday. I told them they could not deliver at 10pm, I live in an apartment that requires the elevator to be reserved. We agreed on a 7 am delivery time and I reserved the elevator.

7 am they called and said they were 2 to 3 hours out. At about 9:30, I emailed Paula to see what she is doing about my charges and received a call from Brandi again offering me $250, because that was all they would consider doing I agreed to accept it. Brandi informed me I would be receiving a document to sign, she also informed me the movers were going to be late AGAIN and should be to my place within an hour and a half to 2 hours which would be 12 pm, now 5 hours late.

When I received the document crediting me $250, it also stated that I cannot make any claims, file with the BBB or write negative reviews. I declined their offer of $250 in hopes that I can prevent someone else from dealing with this completely unprofessional company and safe them from the stress added by this horrible experience. Clearly that’s how this company has a 5 star rating, when they agree to reduce your bill for charges you shouldn’t they require you to sign a waiver? Really?

The movers finally showed up at just after 1 pm. The drivers were the same crew that picked up my shipment. This was probably the easiest part of my whole process. The crew was polite and work relatively quickly, they assembled my furniture and moved things where I asked. Several of the boxed were visibly damaged and there was some damage to my entertainment center, a large chip on the side and some scratches. I took them about 5 hours to get everything set up, they cleaned up and took their trash with them. As I unpacked, I had a lot of broken glass but thankfully I was very careful when I packed so for the most part everything important was ok.

I received a couple more calls from the company trying to explain the form I received and apologizing for my experience, I received more contact from the company after my stuff got delivered than I ever did when I was trying to track down my stuff. All in all I’d give this experience 1 star… It was an awful stressful experience and as a customer service professional I can honestly say this was the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced and I feel like this company has no integrity. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE.

Original review: July 18, 2018

If you are looking for movers, Long Distance Relocation Services is it, full stop. Don't worry about pricing, about whether the movers will be on time, or about the safety of your stuff - these guys score a 10 on every count. I say this after having used them 6 times now (moving for work). This move was a 1-bedroom apartment in Virginia to another 1-bedroom in New Hampshire. My movers were Tim and Salvatore, and they did a wonderful job, as always. Highly recommended or every move.

Long Distance Relocation Services Company Information