It's that easy Request Information
4.11/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Even the simplest long distance move can be stressful for a family or business. You can rest assured knowing that you'll be receiving the highest level of service and a worry free interstate move with Long Distance Relocation Services.

Our staff of moving experts have been thoroughly trained to ensure you'll receive the most professional interstate moving experience and assistance for all of your important relocation needs.

We offer a wide range of services to support your needs throughout your move, such as, full-service packing, fragile-only packing, and storage in transit.

Long Distance Relocation Services Video
Long Distance Relocation Services Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

350 Long Distance Relocation Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They lie and promise things to you that are untrue. Above they say that they have a A+ rating with the BBB, but in fact they have a D rating. Go to the BBB website and see all of the complaints and how they are almost all the same. Plus they received 32 complaints over the last 12 MONTHS! We have moved across country 5 times and NEVER had the experience we had with this company. They treated our belongings like they were nothing. I have NEVER had anything broken or damage from a moving company until this company. If you want someone to take care of your belongings DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Every step of our move went as planned and all our things were delivered on time and without damage. Long Distance Relocation Services movers were very helpful and made an effort to be genuinely careful with the items we had marked as fragile. The best thing is that they still worked fast enough to be on schedule.

Great effort also by the office manager who coordinated the move with us and kept us informed all the way. Despite the long move from Oregon to Florida of our huge 4-bedroom home, we felt like everything was always under control.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I believe this company is a scam. My things were picked up by untrained day laborers in a borrowed truck and taken to a storage facility. It has been nearly one month and all my things are still there.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

BEWARE!!! If I could give this company a 0 I would. They did the old bait and switch. They gave me 1 estimate upfront. Then on moving day, loaded 1 truck which left immediately for a warehouse in Maryland then loaded part of the 2nd truck. Then they told me that I was just about at my cubic feet and that they needed an additional $5000 to complete my move. At this point a good portion of my items were on their way to Maryland and 1/2 my items were still in my house. Mind you... I spent a lot of time confirming my items by emailing them a full list as well as speaking with a "Quality Assurance" Rep who was viewing photos of all of my items online. So how was my estimate so far off???

And... The Foreman did a walkthrough in my house prior to loading the truck. Never once did he tell me my estimate was inaccurate prior to the load. Fraud!!! I had to come up with the money in order to get my items back. I admit that I had some additional boxes but nothing that was worth an additional $5000. Total rip-off! Then they offered me a small amount of money back but wanted me in return to waive my rights to complain or take action. Are you kidding me! BEWARE of this company! Hire a mover that is more upfront and honest about the cost of your move! Moving is very stressful and there should be no surprises.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We were having our furniture and other large items delivered to our new home out of storage and these guys did a great job of handling the bulky and very heavy things. Just want to add that the movers helped us arrange even the items that they had not moved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Long Distance Relocation Services?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is going to be a long review because of the lengths this company went to in order to extort money from me under great duress. First and foremost, I would urge you to seek another company immediately. Long Distance Relocation Services (hereinafter “LDRS”) has customer service representatives that are very convincing. My father used to tell me that a dumb person goes through life making mistakes, never gaining any knowledge from it; a smart person goes through life, makes a mistake and gains valuable knowledge so they do not make that mistake again; and a WISE person learns from the mistakes of others. Please be wise if you are considering the use of this company.

First, please note that the “five star ratings” listed above are repeats. Look at the avatar pictures for the people leaving comments. Several have left two or more ratings and they are the same person (just look at the pics next to the name). The rating is inflated. Trust me. I found out the hard way. I researched the cost to move myself via self-move companies (price of the truck, cost to trailer my vehicle, cost to have movers load and unload the truck) and I was looking at approximately $2,500.00 for the move. Plus, I would have the added stress of driving myself, my two dogs and my trailered car ten hours to my new home. Stressful, yes. However, it was feasible.

On July 3, 2018, I was contacted by “Angelo” with LDRS for a quote on my move from Indiana to Virginia. I was provided a quote for $4,580.00. However, because he knew I was on a budget, he was going to give me a discount on the Tariff percentage “to help me out.” The quote he provided to me, after going through a list of furnishings I had, was $3,426.00. It was $1,000.00 more than the DIY route. However, he assured me all my belongings would be wrapped, well cared for, LDRS was not a brokerage company that would hand off my belongings to another carrier, they were rated as an “Elite Member” with the Better Business Bureau, and it would alleviate the stress and worry of having to trailer my car, move, drive, and deal with dogs.

For $1,000.00, I considered what my time was worth, the stress of the travel, I researched the BBB site he provide to me (fake) etc., and decided I would proceed with LDRS. On this date, I provided a deposit of $1,269.00; leaving a balance of $2,157.00. It was explained that one-half of the balance was due at pick up and the remaining balance was due at drop off.

The estimate states: "THIS IS A BINDING-NOT-TO-EXCEED ESTIMATE BASED ON CUBIC FT. OR WEIGHT. IF THE LOAD CUBIC FT/WEIGHT IS HIGHER then the estimate, the customer shall pay the same rate for transportation per cubic ft/lb agreed upon at booking. If the load cubic ft/weight is less you will receive a credit of the difference. Please be advised that this is customer's responsibility to notify the company of any changes to the estimate. If your moving dates are between 25th and the 5th of the month peak seasonal rates may apply."

In reading this, you would believe that the quote was binding. You would be incorrect. On July 13, 2018, I received a call from “Quality Assurance” to go over my list of property again. Based upon the conversation with the QA representative, I was sent a second quote, which increased my move to $5,171.00 with and additional deposit of $348.00 due immediately to book the truck. When I asked about the quote increase, I was told it was better to overestimate because I could count on money back from the company if I didn’t use all the space. When I asked her how I would know what space I used, the QA rep indicated it would be “clearly marked” on the truck so there was no question as to the cubic feet my property utilized.

At this point, I had serious alarm bells going off. I was provided an initial quote and now, it was being changed. I should have listened to my inner voice and pulled out of the deal. However, because my move was scheduled for less than seven days out, if I had cancelled at that time, I was informed I would not get my deposit back. I had no choice but to proceed. Now my quote (with a courtesy discount) was for $4,098.00 and I had paid a deposit to date of $1,617.00; leaving me a balance of $2,481.00 (half due at pick up; half due at drop off).

I was informed my scheduled pick up would be July 19, 2018 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. The truck did not arrive until 2:00 p.m. When the movers came in, I was greeted by “George,” who was going to go over the contract with me in detail and get further information from me. He asked me to show him what was being moved. I took him room by room and pointed out everything that had to be moved (primarily furniture) and I told him that the boxes I had packed could wait if needed. He explained to me that if I exceeded the cubic feet in the quote, they would have to charge me more for the space. I very clearly told him that I did not want to exceed the quoted space as I could not afford a higher move cost. I instructed him to load all the large furniture onto the truck first and that the boxes should go on last.

He and his partner (it was a two man crew) began taking out my larger furniture. Some boxes were taken out to “make room to wrap my furniture” so it was not damaged during the move. The quote tells you that furniture pads are included. However, it does not tell you clearly that if the movers use tape to secure the pad, they charge you $4.00 per roll to do so… and they use a lot of tape. Additionally, you will be charged for labor costs while they are wrapping your furniture in “free” padding.

I was unaware that the movers were taking all of my big furniture out to the driveway and not loading it on the truck. I was inside, finishing the boxes that were coming with me separately as I would be without my belongings for up to ten days. After an hour or so, I went out to look at the truck and what was in it. Imagine my surprise when I walked out and saw all my large furniture wrapped and sitting in my driveway. When I asked where all the boxes had gone, I was informed they were loaded on the truck already. I was then told by George, that all of my furniture in the driveway would not fit within the quoted cubic feet as the boxes had already taken up over 400 cubic feet of space in the truck.

He informed me that I had a decision to make. He could take a couple of my bigger items and fill it to the quoted 773 cubic feet. Or, I could enter into another contract for 1100 cubic feet of space, which would accommodate all of my furnishings and boxes, however, it would be considerably more. He then sat on the back of the truck and said: “I’ll give you a couple minutes to talk. You have a decision to make.”

As I walked past all of my large furniture, I realized there was no way to get that much furniture in the back of the truck my boyfriend had brought to help with the move. I was furious. I called the Customer Service line of LDRS and I spoke with “Michael” as Angelo was unavailable. I told him of the situation and that I felt I was being extorted. I had instructed the movers NOT to put the boxes on until the end as I needed my large furniture moved. Michael told me he was going to see what was going on and put me on hold. During my hold, I was disconnected. Try as I might, I could not get a live human being back on the phone to discuss this with me. I left several urgent messages to please have someone call me immediately. No phone calls were returned to me.

After approximately five minutes, George sauntered back into my home and informed me that he could not stay all night. He needed a decision from me. I asked him to remove the boxes from the truck and put my furniture on as previously discussed. He refused to do so. He stated that he was “paid to put things in the truck but to take them off would be another job you will have to pay me for.”

He then produced another contract for the 1100 cubic feet of space on the truck and told me I needed to make a decision. He could take a couple more of my belongings and leave me to deal with the rest (which they also would not move back inside). Or, I could enter into a contract for $5,610.00 to complete my move. With my deposit of $1,617.00 already paid, I would have a balance of $4,000.00; $2,000.00 payable immediately and $2,000.00 payable upon delivery. The final cost was over double what I was originally quoted in my “binding quote.”

At this point, I had no other choice but to agree to the increased cost. I was due in Virginia to begin a new job on July 25, 2018; I had no way to get my large furniture to my new residence without incurring large costs; and I had no way to get my property already loaded onto the truck off. I truly felt like I was being robbed in my own home. It was presented as: “Pay extra or else…”

On the morning of July 21, 2018, I received a call from “Brandy” in customer service who was returning my call regarding the move. I told her of the situation and she stated she would look at the paperwork when she got it on Monday (my belongings were scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday) to see if they could not discount the final bill due. She provided me with a direct telephone number and email so I didn’t have to go through dispatch… neither of them work now.

Conveniently, on that same evening at approximately 8:00 p.m. I got a call from George to let me know they were ready to deliver my belongings the following morning and that I would need to have cash for the balance due or money orders from the United States Post Office. July 22, 2018 was a Sunday. I had no way to go to a bank or post office on Sunday. I asked if the furniture could be delivered on Monday to allow me the ability to go to the bank. I was informed if I did not accept the property on Sunday, I would be charged for the hotel room and time of the workers having to “stay overnight to accommodate my request,” as well as a $600.00 preferred delivery date charge. George said he would accept money orders if they were issued by Walmart and if I would agree to accept deliver Sunday morning. I reluctantly agreed.

My property was delivered on July 22, 2018. When the movers arrived, it was not in a LDRS truck. Instead, it was a truck belonging to RUSS Express Company, bearing the USDOT# 2919710, which is not a registered vehicle of LDRS per the US Department of Transportation. A totally different crew of movers were present and I discovered that “George,” who I had spoken with the night before was not George. I showed him the money orders and told him that once my property was off the truck, I would give him the money orders. This was refused. Until I handed them the money orders, my property was not coming off the truck. I offered to leave the money orders in a neutral location where he could see them until my belongings were unloaded. This again was refused. With no other choice, I gave him the money orders and prayed my belongings were actually in that truck.

The movers got to work and began bringing in my belongings. Not surprisingly, the boxes came in first. Why? Because LDRS had my belongings taken to a warehouse, where it was staged, and reloaded onto a broker’s truck for delivery… something Angelo said they did not do. My washer, dryer and refrigerator would not fit through the main door of the house I was renting and needed to go through the garage.

At this time, “George/Not George” reminded his worker, in Russian that the contract called for a “long carry fee of $75.00.” Unfortunately for him, I understand Russian and told him he would NOT be charging me anything additional. I helped his mover with bringing in the washer, dryer and refrigerator. I was helping his employee with the trip through the garage and getting them in place. Additionally, I was already overcharged and I had no additional cash or money orders to give him. He backed down at this point and agreed not to charge the additional $75.00.

Finally, the movers completely destroyed my $1,500.00 dining room table and my $250.00 entertainment center in the move. When I say destroyed, I mean the wood was completely shattered and cannot be fixed. In total, this move cost me $5,600.00, which was $2,200.00 more than I was initially quoted; and I had over $1,750.00 in furniture completed ruined (with a reimbursement cost of .60 per lb… you going to come weigh the table???). LDRS gave me no choice but to pay the additional monies or leave my furniture behind and pay to move it later. I have yet to hear back from Customer Service regarding the overcharging of this move or reimbursement for any of the damage to my furniture.

This company quite simply extorted me and they did it with precision. I intend to follow through with a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Please… do not use the website they provide you. Go to the BBB and look them up yourself. Do research if you are considering using this company. However, I would urge you to be the WISE person here… and learn from my mistake. This company practices in legal extortion. Don’t be a victim like me. Walk away from this company as quickly as you can.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The team that executed the move deserves more than the five stars than I can give here. They made a very stressful time much easier by being so accommodating and working hard to stick to the schedule. I would recommend them to everyone.

Insufficient response received
Original review: July 25, 2018

Long Distance Relocation services is the same moving company as Long Distance Van Lines in Plantation Florida. Do NOT ever use these moving companies. If you have used this company it is highly suggested you contact both states that you moved to and from to the Consumers Attorney General to determine if how they are practicing is within guidelines. Their practices are not within normal guidelines. In addition, they use multiple numbers from various places, as of now we have approximately eight known numbers that they can call from. DO YOUR RESEARCH but STAY away from this company.

They reel you in with a great quote and then everything is downhill. From the customer service and deceit, they are a dishonest company. Please do your homework before you hire a mover. If they quote you get it in writing that you want a flat rate and that you want an actual price and not a quote. Then have it in writing that they cannot charge you more than what is in your contract. We made the mistake of not doing this. Lesson learned.

The movers came out at 4:30 pm and didn’t leave until midnight. Once our items were loaded and locked they then proceeded to try and go over the contract at midnight. They had a mover, although nice spoke minimal English and could not properly explain the overages. We then proceeded to try and get price reduced in which they stated they could not locate our items. They then send us a supposed “discount form” which was deceitful and get you.

After much time trying to contact them and they never getting back with you, they finally called to give us a date. Our items were then contracted out to another mover to move items from their Baltimore warehouse. We were not told this but finally made sense why we had to pay by cash or postal check orders. The customer pays directly to them. This is a great way of not having to report the other half of the unpaid invoice on their business. This company is a nightmare. I’ve also been able to get in touch with another customer by coincidence and they experienced the same situation. We only got in contact by luck. We are working together to collect information and research about this business as well have outside sources to assist us. This is NOT a reputable company and save yourself from the stress.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My experience Long Distance Relocation Services started off well. I was with a different company and changed to them because of their 5 star rating. I had a very short window so they were able to turn my move around very quickly. They did my inventory and gave me a good quote so I decided to change to them. My pick up window was July 3/4. They ended up scheduling my move on July 4th with a pickup window of 1100am to 2 pm. On the 4th I got a call from the driver at about 9 saying he was just leaving Austin and would be there right after lunch, it’s about 230 miles. I texted him at around 3 pm when he hadn’t made it yet and he called me back at around 3:30 and stated he would be there at 4:30, at around 4:45 I was out front and a man sitting in his car in front of my house came out and said the movers were running about 30 minutes behind. So finally at 5:45 the truck pulls up.

The movers stayed in the front and finally came to the door at 6:15 pm (on 4th of July). After a bit they told me my original estimate of 850 (or so) cu feet was incorrect and my new estimate was 1100, now around 7 pm. I argued that everything on my original estimate was what I had to ship, as a matter of fact I had about 18 less boxes than on my original estimate. I was scheduled to leave the next morning so I didn’t really have an option so I told them to go with the new estimate, it’s now 7:30 pm. So I went in one of the rooms with the dogs and at 8:30 one of the guys knocks on the door and tells me they have to leave to go get more blankets, 2 of the 3 of them had to go, I suggested that only 1 go and they leave 2 to wrap furniture but they said no they both had to go, I asked how long they would be and they said it was a 20 minute drive so they would be back in an hour.

The one guy they left worked like crazy… They finally returned to my house at just after 11 pm. It took them until 2:30 am to complete my move. Once they got done they told me that my load filled just under half the truck which was 2200 cu feet, even though I had everything in the truck on the original estimate and 18 less boxes than what was on the original estimate, the option they gave me was that they could take some stuff off the truck… I really felt like I had no option so I agreed to just move forward.

When we were completing the paperwork they charged me for 1100 cu feet so I argued that they had told me it was less than have the truck so they reduced it by 50 cu feet to 1050, I also noticed that they had 800$ for packing materials, my original estimate was $240? When I questioned him he stated it was for blankets and tape, he had several boxes on the list that he did not pack, he told me there was no one to call since everything was closed (it was 2:30 in the morning) again the response was the same, we could take something off the truck. I went ahead and signed everything because they wouldn’t leave otherwise and told them I would call the office first thing. I started calling the office first thing that morning and for four days got promises of callbacks from Brandi, the representative handling my move, she hadn’t received my paperwork and couldn’t do anything without it.

Finally on Tuesday afternoon I just asked to talk to her supervisor and was put on hold for 32 minutes, I finally had to hang up because I was at work and had a meeting, I called back later that day and was referred to Leann. The call started like she had already made up her mind, she didn’t listen to one thing I said and kept stating that I didn’t pay for a full pack so I was being charged correctly. I kept trying to explain to her that the only things they packed were on the original estimate, the glass from my entertainment center and 2 pictures, she absolutely refused to listen to me. Said she would get back to me, shortly later she called back and said because I had a glass armoire and hutch they had to be specially wrapped, I explained to her that both of those items were wood and contained absolutely no glass, the only glass in my shipment was the entertainment center which was in the original estimate.

Her response to me was that I signed everything so I was pretty much stuck with it, I explained to her again that by 2:30 in the morning I just wanted them out of my house and called to try to resolve these issues as soon as the office opened that morning. I felt like I had no choice, they would not leave until I signed the documents. At this point she offered me a $250.00 reduction, my bill is $1800 more than the original estimate and again I had everything on the original estimate and significantly less boxes.

I then asked to speak to her supervisor and was informed that she reports to the owner who does not take calls from customers. Having absolutely no recourse I told her I would just like to know when my items would arrive. She told me she would have my rep (Brandi) call me within the hour, that was Tuesday afternoon, as of now, Thursday afternoon 5:30 I still have not heard from anyone on when my stuff will arrive, it has now been 9 days since my scheduled pickup.

So Friday morning I called again and spoke to a very nice lady named Lisa, she was very helpful and referred me to Paula who is the office manager. Paula called me and appeared to listen to what I was saying. She said that my shipment was going out either Friday afternoon or Saturday and would be here either Sunday or Monday, she stated that she would call me Saturday and let me know. She also agreed to review my shipment to see what boxes were actually packed by the moving company to try and resolve my charges. I never received a call from Paula so just assumed that my shipment would be here Monday. At 1pm on Sunday the truck driver called and wanted to deliver my belongings at 10pm on Sunday. I told them they could not deliver at 10pm, I live in an apartment that requires the elevator to be reserved. We agreed on a 7 am delivery time and I reserved the elevator.

7 am they called and said they were 2 to 3 hours out. At about 9:30, I emailed Paula to see what she is doing about my charges and received a call from Brandi again offering me $250, because that was all they would consider doing I agreed to accept it. Brandi informed me I would be receiving a document to sign, she also informed me the movers were going to be late AGAIN and should be to my place within an hour and a half to 2 hours which would be 12 pm, now 5 hours late.

When I received the document crediting me $250, it also stated that I cannot make any claims, file with the BBB or write negative reviews. I declined their offer of $250 in hopes that I can prevent someone else from dealing with this completely unprofessional company and safe them from the stress added by this horrible experience. Clearly that’s how this company has a 5 star rating, when they agree to reduce your bill for charges you shouldn’t they require you to sign a waiver? Really?

The movers finally showed up at just after 1 pm. The drivers were the same crew that picked up my shipment. This was probably the easiest part of my whole process. The crew was polite and work relatively quickly, they assembled my furniture and moved things where I asked. Several of the boxed were visibly damaged and there was some damage to my entertainment center, a large chip on the side and some scratches. I took them about 5 hours to get everything set up, they cleaned up and took their trash with them. As I unpacked, I had a lot of broken glass but thankfully I was very careful when I packed so for the most part everything important was ok.

I received a couple more calls from the company trying to explain the form I received and apologizing for my experience, I received more contact from the company after my stuff got delivered than I ever did when I was trying to track down my stuff. All in all I’d give this experience 1 star… It was an awful stressful experience and as a customer service professional I can honestly say this was the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced and I feel like this company has no integrity. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE.

Original review: July 18, 2018

If you are looking for movers, Long Distance Relocation Services is it, full stop. Don't worry about pricing, about whether the movers will be on time, or about the safety of your stuff - these guys score a 10 on every count. I say this after having used them 6 times now (moving for work). This move was a 1-bedroom apartment in Virginia to another 1-bedroom in New Hampshire. My movers were Tim and Salvatore, and they did a wonderful job, as always. Highly recommended or every move.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was very nervous because this was my first paid move and we've all seen the horror stories that moving companies are known for. Instead, after the move today, I am very happy to report that Long Distance Relocation Services is a wonderful company who does their job and takes pride in their work. I got a great deal from the office manager, JOY and that is the reason I picked them over the others. Let me say that they are worth every penny!

Original review: July 10, 2018

We recently hired Long Distance Relocation Services/Long Distance Van lines for our out of state move. We went with this company because it was family owned and operated, had been in business for quite a few years, had military move experience and seemed reputable. We were VERY wrong. The initial agreement was that they would move our goods from Los Angeles to Austin by movers who had at least 3 years of experience. The goods were to be picked up in LA and transported directly to Austin. We would then call them once we were in Texas and the goods could be easily delivered. When the items were picked up and initially packed it was by 3 ** who JUST moved to the country and didn't have any moving experience!

When we called to get our items, we were told that everything was in LA and that they didn't have anyone who could deliver the items. We noted that this was not the agreement and that they needed to train their employees to not misrepresent what the company could offer. We were assured (on a recorded line) that the employee had been terminated. After further discussions, we found out that was a lie. The employee still works there. We tried on numerous occasions to speak to a supervisor and were constantly told, "This is like IHOP, you can't talk to anyone." For a company who says that they will treat your goods with care, that they are solution oriented, that they are reputable - ALL FALSE. This is a VERY suspicious company with terrible business practices.

Then, we finally got our items to Austin and nearly EVERYTHING is significantly damaged. Again, delivered by new to the country Russian immigrants who did not have any experience moving. The movers were not careful - did not care that they were scratching our floors. They constantly smoked and took reckless care of our goods. Parts of our furniture are completely broken off. Our new chairs are all scratched. Paint is missing, goods are broken... The list goes ON and ON. We have moved numerous times and work with lots of companies - being business owners ourselves - I have NEVER in my entire life had a worse experience than with this company. They should be ashamed of their business practices, rude employees and untrained and unprofessional staff.

I would give them zero stars if that were possible. I wouldn't ever recommend that anyone engage with this highly suspicious company. They lie to get your business and then tell you that "at their convenience your goods will be delivered." I must have made at least 50 calls to this company. Not until I filed a complaint with the BBB did I receive my items... Interesting, right?! Terrible company.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 9, 2018

It's been two and a half weeks and this company hasn't even started transporting my stuff across the country. They told me before I put down my payment that they should get my stuff to me in a week. Instead, after I paid, they put it in a warehouse by my old home and still haven't loaded it onto a moving truck. None of the customer service agents have done anything to speed along the process. I have just been living in my home with none of my things for weeks now. I have to buy all new work clothes and cooking supplies. Overall a really miserable experience. Don't use this company!!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have moved many times. Most moves were with the military. Four personal moves were with cross country carriers using this type of service. To date I have never experienced a nightmare like this. The lack of integrity, calculated fraud, and coercive dealings is unparalleled in my experience. I had a simple move from the DC area to Sheridan, Wyoming. We called several places and picked one in the middle for cost. We wanted competitive but never select the cheapest. The original estimate to move a motorcycle, bike, desk, three small chairs, and 15 medium or large boxes was $2,550 with a downpayment of $613. This left $1937 due.

It sounds like a joke; 2 Russians and a Moldovan walk into an apartment. Fortunately my wife is a Russian speaker and understood what they were saying in the apartment. The pressure for time started when they arrived very late in the scheduled window. Being late to the apartment complex at month’s end means you are tying up the dock for the next mover. We scheduled a day before months end in case something when wrong. Still, there was no time to react to this type of delay and the costs started rising, the stress started, and we can feel the screwing begin. With most everything on the truck, they start talking money. We were very committed at this stage and have few or no options at that point.

Under duress, they are pushing prices, justifying increases, and squeezing you to sign agreements that you will not dispute the charges on your credit card. There is obvious pressure as you battle back against unreasonable escalating charges. We paid an upcharge for moving the Harley Road King. It was known up front and I am sure is designed to make up for the bulky item. I was concerned after watching them attempt to move the bike. I put it on the lift for them because the concept of a clutch or neutral seemed elusive. They slid, jimmied, and lifted the bike into place.

From the dock, they appeared to pack it well and strap it into a tall cardboard wrap on the exposed sides. The boxes were tossed into the truck at maximum handlebar height, and the square footage started to expand. I thought that they would stack and strap them at least higher than three and a half to four feet but they said that they could not because of the bike and insurance. This seemed off to me and a wonder if subsequent loads would be handled the same way because of my bike.

We called the administrator who in turn called the representative onsite. He said the boxes were huge suggesting wardrobe size. There was a nice mix of large and medium boxes or tubs. They were packaged well individually but and they were not well packed in the truck. The administrator stiff armed us and did not even want to see photos of shipped good or the packing job. They wanted even more but dropped the price (minimally) after we started talking about the lack of strapping, stacking, and complaints. They told me that they would charge the total on delivery; I was charged in full within a day or so. That charge was $2,962.00. With the deposit, the total was $3575.

Delivery on the other end was very problematic. After a month I called to check the status of my shipment. From the start it required inquiry at every turn, they push absolutely no information. If I did not call, I would have no idea on when the shipment would arrive. The status remained elusive for several more weeks. The folks were very polite on the phone when I called but totally unaware. At one point the scheduler/dispatcher was out for a wedding or family event. I am not heartless but an organized business would probably have some form of redundancy. Still, not a huge issue except when you have a life, you count on service providers to be timely and efficient.

Eventually, I was told that they would inform me of a delivery date. More time passed and I was becoming a bit impatient. Still, what can you do but wait. The documents said that the company would inform me 72 hours prior to delivery. By chance, I contacted the company for an update. I was told my goods were on a truck for delivery. OK, I guess notice and coordination was out of the question. I got the driver’s number and gave him a call. He said he was in the Nebraska and would arrive morning of the next day. I changed my calendar to accommodate the arrival. The driver also told me that he had a motorcycle and not way to get it off and that it was my responsible to find a place to get the Harley off of the truck.

At that point I lost my temper and chewed on him a bit. I called the company who said they would contact him; it was not my problem. OK, I thought we were tracking. The next day came and no driver. I called him and it appeared that he would be delayed until the afternoon. My day was wasted. The truck arrived the next morning by 10. I shifted my meetings for the next to the afternoon. After more calls the driver showed several hours late. The driver finally arrived. He and his assistant were getting set-up and I took pictures of the goods stored neatly in an area about half the size of the area that the initial truck took for storage. Well at least this group could pack. I spoke to the older gentlemen, like the driver before him, he was Russian. His assistant driver was a hustler but injured. He was trying to work but I lent a hand to speed up the unloading so I would not lose any more time that day.

Then it came time to unload the motorcycle. Again, we have no way to get it off of the trailer and I am left trying to find a dock. Russian ingenuity led the driver to suggest pirating a trailer setting in the yard next door. It was not mine but the driver pulled up to the trailer with the intent of pushing the bike onto trailer and moving the ramp to the tail of trailer and coasting it down. Though very uncomfortable, I watched the clock realizing that I need to get things moving. I took a few pictures of the event. I watched as the clutch and gear system challenged them. There were issues with me getting on the truck but they acquiesced after they figured themselves incapable of making the transfer. I was relieved as they could barely balance it and their intent was to balance and push my Harley across a thin ramp. I rode it off the truck and done the trailer as quickly as I could to avoid problems with the trailer's owner.

I quickly moved to get the guys on their way so that I could get back to work. Though I dealt with much of the move myself the driver was not too afraid to ask for a tip, brilliant. I still do not know if my good are in good shape. Most remain in boxes. I can say the experience to date has not been overly present. Because of this, I strongly caution you on using this company! I have photos of the entire event, packing, unpacking, etc. for consideration.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We settled on Long Distance Relocation Services after speaking to five or six other companies. The main reason was their ability to be completely clear about their pricing. The quotes they gave us matched the final price. The moving service was simply perfect. The guys came in, did the packing quietly and quickly and loaded it all up right on schedule. Unloading and unpacking went just as smoothly, no chance for a complaint anywhere – thank you guys!

Long Distance Relocation Services response

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your great experience with Long Distance Relocation Services. Please keep us in mind, as it would be our pleasure to work with you and or someone you know that may be planning a long distance move in the near future.

Original review: May 29, 2018

After my parents died, I did not want to continue living in the same place that had so many memories of them. I wanted to move as soon as yesterday. I did not have the patience to wait and I wanted out as soon as possible. Finding a company that could do the job in a short notice was a challenge. But when I called Long Distance Relocation Services, they said it was doable. In less than a week, all was done and I’m now settled in my new Place in LA. I did not expect things to be these fast and easy. Thanks a million for your help.

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: May 25, 2018

I rarely have time to write reviews but this time, I decided to make time because I had a fantastic experience with Long Distance Relocation Services. This company is one of the best-run moving companies in the country, and I say that as someone who has worked in the industry in the past. We were very happy with the way our queries and issues were handled by Joseph, who is their customer service person, and the way the movers did their job without any drama, delays or damage.

Original review: May 21, 2018

If I had known moving could be this easy, I would have moved sooner! Long Distance Relocation Services gave us a flawless moving experience from the time we first contacted them for a quote. Their support staff is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and we felt like we were dealing with professionals right from the start. I was hoping the movers would be just as good and wasn’t disappointed – John, Mike and Nick did a fantastic job from the moment they arrived. I’ll be recommending these guys to everyone I know!

Original review: May 21, 2018

There are no words to express how happy I am with my movers. They adhered to my rather tight schedule and even assisted us with unpacking to speed things up even when we hadn't ordered the service. Thank you and God bless!

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 15, 2018

When we chose this company we chose to ignore the negative reviews. I now wish we had listened. We were warned about the poor customer service, poor quality trucks, failure to meet expectations, pricing that escalates throughout the process and the fact that we sat in an empty house for a week. Oh how we should have listened. First off, the sales rep is going to tell you everything you want to hear and low-ball the pricing to get you hooked. Then he disappears, never to be heard from again. Then they will take you through a shoddy inventory process where your price will increase. Then on load in day the price will go up again. Our price more than doubled from the initial quote. Oh and on moving day they showed up in a truck they rented from Enterprise. Oh, and it was too small so they had to come back the following day.

So after two days of loading and our estimated price doubling - even though our inventory was pretty accurate - we were off to Florida. We were driving and hoped to coordinate the travel with the moving company. We have done several long distance moves in the past and our truck always arrived within 1 day of the target date. Well, what this company does is to inform you that by law there is a 21 day window for delivery, and then they will wait to load the truck and leave on first day of your window. So in our case, the movers picked up stuff on May 2nd. The first day we had to be available at our new home in Florida was the 7th so we began driving. We learned mid-journey that their policy is that they will not ship until that first day you are supposed to be at the new house. So we arrived on the 7th and the truck just left and did not get to Florida until the 14th. 7 days in an empty house.

They gave no indication of this policy until after we left. Along the way there was no communication. We had to chase them and when we did talk to them our customer rep was rude and very dismissive. After voicing our complaints the company had no empathy. They later offered a $750 refund but we would have to sign something stating we would not post any reviews. So we ate the $750 because we wanted to share our story and encourage others to go with a different company. There are a lot of movers out there. Avoid this one.

Eric Stanionon 5/15/18PRIVATE

My apologies. My review was meant for long distance van lines. I will happily retract this review if I can figure out how to do that. My sincere apologies I didn’t mean to insult your company.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Moving over long distances is the last thing I expected in my life. But life is full of surprises and one of them came when I had to move from California to Florida. I was happy since I was joining the rest of my family over there but I wouldn’t say the same about the burden of moving. But I couldn’t believe my luck when I came across Long Distance Relocation Services as I browsed the internet for a mover. After going over customer comments, I dialed their number and it was a done deal.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We had to move at short notice and chose literally the first movers we came across. Fortunately, it was Long Distance Relocation Services! Everything about this company is top notch, from the customer service to their speed to their pricing. We are really grateful that they managed to slot us into their schedule at the last minute and still pull off such a great move. A lot of the praise is owed to Sam and Kirk, the two movers who handled everything with such great skill and an even better attitude. Use these guys, everyone!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Great communication, great pricing, great service. That sums up my experience with Long Distance Relocation Services. I was moving from Virginia to New Hampshire after getting married and needed a reliable company to handle a lot of valuable and fragile items from my 3-bedroom home. These guys came highly recommended by a number of my friends and colleagues and I am happy to report that they deserve every bit of that praise. Movers were punctual, polite and hardworking. All my queries were handled by Blake from their office. I highly recommend Long Distance Relocation Services.

Original review: May 5, 2018

When my retirement came, I couldn’t wait to leave Washington DC and spent some quality time in my Texas ranch. I had a lot of things I couldn’t leave behind so I spent some time looking for good mover who will not only get the job done but will also offer competitive rates. I came across Long Distance Relocation Services but was not so quick to call them. I went over customer reviews. It was all positive comments and I knew I had hit the jackpot. I made the choice and if I had to do it all over again, this is the company I will choose.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Did I expect my moving to be anything close to flawless? Not a chance. I had been hearing horrible moving stories and my heart was dull when my turn came. But thanks to a friend, I found one of the best moving companies. Long Distance Relocation Services is the true definition of hassle-free moving. They make sure that you will be giving them a call next time you move. I’m so pleased with your services that moving no longer gives me jitters. As long as you continue to exist, it is going to be you all the way.

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: May 4, 2018

I do keep a lot of fragile stuff in my house. When it was my first time to move, I did not expect that half of my stuff will make to the other side. I was surprised to find all my things intact after moving across two states to my current residence. Long Distance Relocation Services ensured that nothing was broken and I couldn’t be happier. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this company to anyone. The best movers ever! Will definitely use them again.

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: April 30, 2018

It is only 3 days since I moved into my new house and I already feel like home. Long Distance Relocation Services ensured that everything was delivered in perfect condition and placed to its rightful place. I did not expect to be settled so fast but thanks to this company, we are missing nothing from our old home. It was the best moving experience ever. The next time I move, it will definitely be using this company.

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: April 26, 2018

Initially, the move did not go well. Due to delays that were weather-related, the movers who picked up my stuff were rushed, and unfortunately damaged my floor. The company was quick to issue a claim form. I was told that, due to regulations regarding how many miles the drivers could drive per day and other restrictions, I should expect a delay in delivery due to the fact that LDR packs more than one person’s items in their large truck, and that I may have to wait for a week or so.

The delivery went very smoothly. The gentlemen who showed up worked quickly, did not scrape or dent or damage the new paint. They were careful with my guitars, amplifiers, and electronics, as well as my record collection. Nothing was broken. They even put my bed back together. Despite my initial experience, I am more than satisfied with Long Distance Relocation. It was not an easy move, but they got it here, and I’m happy.

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: April 20, 2018

I move often because of my job but this was the first time using this company. However, the great experience means that I will use them again whenever possible. They were efficient, polite and very careful with all my items. Use them!!!

Long Distance Relocation Services response

Original review: March 13, 2018

Just moved a 2-bedroom house from NJ to CA… and it was great! A special thank you to my two movers – Mark and Tommy. They did a wonderful job of what was a complicated move involving stairs, narrow passages and lots and lots of our stuff! I cannot forget to mention that Joy from the LDVL office is also an essential part of the team and maybe even the most important cog in the wheel who makes sure that everything runs so smoothly. The move went off without problems, and the service was fast and professional. Recommending these guys is a no-brainer.

Long Distance Relocation Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Long Distance Relocation Services has over 17 years of experience in moving individuals, families and employees all over the country. The company's employees have experience in a variety of services that are helpful for interstate moves.

• Full-service packing: The company offers full-service packing assistance, including white-glove, fragile-only packing and careful packing for valuable or specialty items.

• Different levels: It offers a variety of service levels, from very basic to full-moving services.

• Antique: The company performs a lot of specialty work with antiques and is able to ensure that valuables and precious goods can be transported with ease and safety.

• Protection: It offers protection plans guaranteeing the safety of your belongings, insuring them against loss and damage.

• Communication: People moving long distances often have to be without their belongings for long periods of time while they are being hauled cross-country. Long Distance Relocation Services is easy to contact to get up-to-date information on the status of your move.

• Best for: Households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs