Life Spas

Compare Hot Tubs

Research top Hot Tubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've read the reviews here and believe they are the exception not the rule with this company. We bought a custom built Spa with the aqualast system almost two years ago since my wife has back and feet issues and very sensitive skin. We couldn't be happier with our purchase. It has a custom dome for her feet and a handrail and stairs so she can get in and out easier. The spa hasn't had any issues we can tell.

The only complaint we really have is that we were told to clean the electrode about every year or so. First I was told to use muriatic acid, then sandpaper. I wanted it clean so I opted for the acid which did a good job. It screws in and has two wires that reattach after you put it back in. After cleaning it, it stopped working after a couple days. Lifespas was helpful and got me in contact with the person who installs them. I learned that using acid was the right thing to do but that not to overtighten the electrode screws since the thin wires attaching to the anode can break inside. My wife had used a wrench to tighten and I surmised that what happened. I also discovered that they shouldn't ever be removed to clean unless copper levels can no longer be maintained and that cleaning every year would wear out the anode within 5 years.

We ordered a new anode housing, I screwed it in and only hand tightened everything this time and the system has work wonderfully ever since. Lifespas is a great company. I've always had friendly people who were helpful. They do deal with many third party people for various aspects of their business (example Spa Movers, aqualast system, etc.) But I've never had a bad experience with any of them. I do highly recommend talking directly to the people who install/manufacture the part of the spa you have questions about.

STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AS YOU CAN GET!!! I purchased a Jacuzzi 1 1/2 years ago and have nothing but problems. I am now dealing a motor that is burned out and have been told by 2 companies that the motor has been obsolete for several years. I don't know what they are using for material but this is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! THIS COMPANY NEEDS A SERIOUS LESSON IN CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

See previous review. Update: purchased and installed a new pump and low pressure switch. Spa will run only on high. Psol message when you switch to low. Frustrated so we called a repair person out. Long story short: circuit board is newest problem. $700- $800 to repair plus the $500 already spent. So it sits. Stay as far away from Life Spas as you can.

I ordered a spa from this company back in 2010. I chose them because they were local and had an actual showroom. Not just a website. I knew I would buy something other than their ad spa and I did. It's made of this white shell material that doesn't crack. This sales guy even slammed it with a hammer and it didn't break. Four years later and I haven't had any problems. Knock on wood!! I'd check them out before buying one off a random website.

This has been a terrible experience. I purchased a LifeSpas LS7000 on 9/20/08 with a bromine generator. I have always had problems keeping the bromine level steady and the ph level down. Despite numerous calls to LifeSpas, I never received any significant answers as to what to do. I can call the same day and get two different answers. I have had to go to Pioneer technologies (the manufacturer of the bromine generator) who were able to help me determine the electrode was cracked due to faulty installation. After this I could generate bromine better but only by filtering 8-10 hours a day which burned up the pump in 2011. Spa has been drained since because I cannot financially afford to fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Spas?

I am late-deafened. I saw an ad online for a great sale price of a size spa I've been looking at for over a year, so I contacted the company online. I did not provide a phone number and requested contact via online. The salesperson contacted me saying they require that I view a video with a concurrent phone conversation explaining said video/product. I wrote back requesting they accommodate my hearing impairment unless they are unwilling to put their information/promises in writing. Today, I received an e-mail from a supervisor saying the sales pitch (not his words) is too lengthy for the salesperson to type out. Obviously, they are unwilling to put their promises on paper, or they just don't want to deal with handicapped people.

The equipment doesn’t work properly and they have horrible customer service. I am so disappointed. I have had nothing but issues with my spa. The service has been terrible. I have owned my spa for a year and a half and it has never worked properly. The moment they delivered it, one of the lights didn’t work. Two weeks later the stereo stopped working. It took over a year and two stereo replacements. A month later, the motor went out. I spoke with the manager and he said he would have the service person call me. They never called. My spa sits empty and nonfunctional. Gathering my records of numerous phone calls and emails, I don’t want this product any longer. It’s time for court!

We have sold hundreds of AquaLast Systems with great success. With June **, we worked diligently on service issues and had a very hard time figuring out what was wrong.

We recently moved our Service Department to a new location and during that time, there were a few days they were closed. During the move, our computerized phone system re-routed phone calls into an unavailable extension. Consequently, we missed several phone calls, including June **; however, that issue has been corrected.

We finally were able to diagnose the problem as a missing part and scheduled a service call to fix the spa. Unfortunately, a lot of things happened with this customer and with this water purification system, it was harder to diagnose. We regret that she experienced any trouble at all and look forward to her future satisfaction with the spa and the AquaLast System.

LifeSpas

I purchased Life Spas LS7000 model with Aqualast system. I paid over $8000 for this spa back in February 2011. My first clue that their customer service was lacking was when they couldn't deliver the product when stated, and they never contacted me to explain the spa's lead time would be longer - over a month longer and I had to continually call them until someone took my call. Only to hear that the manufacturing that make the spa's shell went out-of-business and they had to get them the mold to make it. Then they kept re-scheduling me because of the rain. So, finally I received the spa delivery in April. I read and followed the preset up instructions; however, I was not able to get a copper reading and was told I needed to come in and take water class the next night, which I did and learned I was never given Aqualast's system instructions.

I went home hoping that instructions would assist me in obtaining a copper reading. Unfortunately, I was not able to get any reading at all. After leaving over 10 messages on the service line, I contacted the main number and got someone to listen to my complaint; yet even though Tina was very helpful and seemed concerned, I still never received a call back from Dave, Tim, Julie or Randy. So once again, I had to continually keep calling until someone would assist me. I got Julie to leave a message with Tim, yet it was a holiday. Then they moved, so on and so on. Finally, Dave was scheduled out to my home after I explained to Life Spas that the two samples of water taken to Leslie's Pool showed no trace of copper. So when he came out, he replaced 2 of 3 components of the Aqualast system.

A week later, there was still no copper reading and another visit, this time from Randy who knew nothing about bringing with him the 3rd component and claims he came out the following day and replaced it; yet there was no indication he was here. So here it is June 27th, and the spa has been running all day and guess what? No copper reading. No one cares my spa doesn't work. No one called me today as promised and I'm very frustrated. Life Spas customer service and product doesn't work. So buyer, beware. I paid $8000.00 for a product that doesn't work as promised and delivered

This is a response to Tawnya of Pflugerville, TX: LifeSpas goes out of its way to help all our customers in the event of warranty issues and manufacturer defects. In this case, regarding a gazebo. The warranty clearly states that the parts are covered for 6 months from the manufacturer. (Note: Most manufacturers don't give warranty on gazebos.) LifeSpas does not manufacturer or warrant the gazebo, but it agreed to replace the roof panels to assist the customer, even though they were out of warranty. The 5-year warranty covers the gazebo's finish, not the parts.

The customer was negligent to report the finish warranty issue in a timely manner and had the product for approximately 2 years, which caused more damage. The retail list of the gazebo parts we offered, including shipping was approximately $1,500. We feel the customer is unreasonable, because LifeSpas does not warrant the gazebo, the parts are only covered for 6 months, the finish warranty does not cover parts, and the issue was not reported in a timely manner. Despite all this, LifeSpas was still willing to help out the customer.

After going back and forth many times, we wanted a claims release to be signed, because LifeSpas was going to be expending a large amount of money for something that was out of warranty.

We purchased our spa and gazebo in the summer of 2007 from LifeSpas Inc. for over $11,000 and after only two and a half years, the wood roof panels are rotting. We have been discussing this issue back and forth for 3 months now with the president/CEO of the company, Tim Horwood, only to get the run around. The gazebo came with a 5 year warranty which states, "This finish is warranted to be free from required refinishing for a period of 5 years but the warranty was with a manufacturer that has since gone out of business." Tim still has contact with him, and refused to give us his information so we could deal with him.

However, Tim creates his warranties and tells his manufacturers how to build his products, per his specs and sells the same exact gazebos today. We simply requested new roof panels or the money we paid for the roof (solid roof upgrade with Plastek coating) that was paid for initially. His initial off the table offer was he feels he's not legally responsible but he would give us $150 or sell us panels for $300 and we would be responsible for shipping and we would have to sign a release of claims.

The second offer came after me talking about going to the Better Business Bureau. He offered to pay for panels but we pay for shipping and we sign a release. His final offer was he pays for both panels and shipping if we sign the following release on everything we ever purchased with his company, Yah right! (see below the release was copied from his email to us) Also, he had the nerve to say if we wanted Plastek on the new panels which we had originally that it would be $100. We had agreed to sign a release for only the new roof panels but he declined our offer.

Release of Claims: In consideration of 8 solid upgraded roof panels with plastic wood finish with no warranty made to your measurements for a 9 ft lakeside gazebo and shipping the undersigned releases and discharges Lifespas, Inc. and all of its agents, officers, directors, shareholders, and employees from any and all claims, demands, actions and causes of action of any kind or nature what so ever which the undersigned has ever had, now has or may have in the future against Lifespas, Inc. arising out of the purchase of a spa, gazebo bar and bar stools, cover, step and bromine generator and any accessories or upgrades on or about 8/11//07. This release and the underlined settlement shall be treated as confidential and shall not be disclosed to any third party. The undersigned will refrain from any public disparagement of Lifespas, Inc. or its products.

It amazes me how after spending $11,000 with Tim's company that he treats his customers like this. My opinion is that he has very poor customer service skills and by him wanting us to sign off on everything we own, (which is still under warranty) only demonstrates that Tim is not confident that his products listed above will sustain the remainder of the warranty term. As well, I feel that he is feeling responsible and is trying to avoid any future conflicts.

We paid $4100 for a gazebo that is now rotting after 2.5 years, even after we paid extra for the Plastek finish that was supposed to be under warranty for 5 Years. We are not getting compensated at this time for the rotting gazebo. We would like now the cash $1240 that we paid for the solid roof upgrade with the Plastek that is now rotting.

After trying unsuccessfully to get our spa fixed from Burboa Mfg, Tim from Life Spas stepped in and bent over backwards to make things right. The problems with the spa were not the fault of Life Spas, and they stepped in and took care of us. Burboa went out of business and Life Spas came to our rescue. We're happy with the way things turned out and want to retract our initial complaint.

This is in response to Laura H.: The consumer has a right to complain, but not to falsely accuse or presume that Life Spas sold a defective product. As a company, we have gone above and beyond what most other spa companies would have done and have spent a lot of time, money and effort on our side to help resolve this customer's complaint. Life Spas values customer satisfaction with the highest regard. This issue has been the only one of its kind out of the thousands of hot tubs we have sold since 1995. Our equipment pack manufacturer has been in business since 1982 and stated they have never had any kind of incident with spa safety ever reported regarding their equipment.

Our spas and equipment meet or exceed the strict safety standards of UL and are ETL approved. We even go further than most companies and offer an option to have the GFCI's installed in the spa. In regards to the situation we sent out our service technician several times. The first couple of times the service technician went to service the spa, he did not see or feel that there was anything wrong with the spa. At the time the spa had a GFCI that was functioning as a safety mechanism. After encountering the issue we replaced the equipment package on the spa to ensure that it was not malfunctioning.

Some time after the customer called back about the same issue. After consulting numerous professionals in the spa industry: our equipment manufacturer, an electrical engineer, multiple service technicians and our spa factory, all pointed towards the problem being a home electrical issue with possible leakage in the ground. None of them suggested that the problem was with the electrical spa pack since it had been replaced twice. In addition, we have checked with the GFCI manufacturer which told us that the GFCI should trip if there is any electrical leakage. In this situation the GFCI wasn't tripping, which points to something other than the spa's equipment pack. The spa shell is thermoplastic, the plumbing of the spa is PVC, the frame of the spa is wood and the bottom of the spa has a plastic barrier, none of which conduct electricity.

Furthermore, when we replaced the equipment pack of the spa we essentially replaced the part that the electricity goes through, twice. We suggested that she have the electrical on her house checked out. She had the electrician who installed her spa wiring check out her electrical and he said everything was OK. After replacing the spa equipment pack again we had an independent licensed electrician, LM Electric license #838758, and they concluded that it was either the house's grounding or an electrical leakage in the ground, not the spa.

I've been holding off on writing a review for a while to make sure that everything remained great. It has. We bought a LifeSpa's LS6900 with the stereo and Bromine generator almost 1 year ago. We had owned a Jacuzzi prior to this which ended up getting blisters in the gel coat but it served us well for 10 years before starting to leak water from just about every connection possible. Also the hoses rotted and fell apart. I did some research and thought it would be great to support a local company, so I called and got an appointment. We weren't prepared for the sales approach used but after a while we realized that they were actually telling us some pretty interesting stuff about how spas are made, so we settled in for the presentation along with about 6 other people.

After about an hour and another hour talking about it we ordered one. It was 12/30/06. It was promised to us in 30 days. I was able to call and talk to people right in the manufacturing plant about things like switching the stereo and the Bromine generator and getting exact dimensions of where they were located. We have a low brick wall that I needed to make sure didn't get in the way. The spa came after just 3 weeks. Very professional delivery and no problem getting it to our back yard.

We had an electrician connect it and I filled it with water and bromine salt. It was ready to use that night! Everything worked perfectly and still does. We haven't had one problem with it. It is awesome! I haven't changed the water yet but I plan to in January at the 1 year mark. The chemical balance stays perfect. When we have a lot of people use it. I shock it with some dry shock chemical or else the Bromine level drops too low. My only complaint is that the spinner jets don't really spin but you don't need them to. The price seemed okay - not great but good considering the quality of the spa. I would definitely recommend a LifeSpa.

We were skeptical at first, especially since we drove over an hour to get to the appointment. But once we got there, we soon found out about the superior quality and pricing. We had shopped many different places before coming in. Other spa companies said we would have to crane in the spa, costing us hundreds of dollars. Life Spas was able to make it happen without a crane, saving us hundreds of dollars in addition to the savings on the spa. The thing I like most about my Life Spas Spa is that even after eight years, it's easy to keep clean.

It’s a week later and I’m still shaking my head. I went to a LifeSpas’ appointment, and what a shame. All they can tell you is how superior they are and put down other spa companies, but no printed information on them to prove it. They wanted a $100.00 deposit, but by the end of the appointment, they told me they would take $10.00. They have a spa they advertise, but it’s stuck upright in the dark so you can't see it. Stay home, do your research, and look elsewhere.

My hot tub began shocking us. We would touch the water and receive a light shock. It has been 7 months and they still have not fixed it...they keep giving me the runaround despite multiple electricians stating that there is nothing wrong with my electrical and it must be the spa. I was told they would not give me my money back.

We have a spa that we spent a lot of money on and can't use for fear of being shocked. My entire family has been shocked multiple times.

Life Spas Company Profile