3.9/5 (270 ratings)

About LGI Homes

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

Pros

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

Cons

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

Top LGI Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to g...

Verified

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the grea...

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

LGI Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: May 10, 2022

I dealt with Rick and he lied. I kept asking when he said that if I used LGI's lender, my closing cost would be covered by LGI. But that was completely false because the $1,000 that I put towards escrow did not go towards my down payment, it went towards closing cost. So in fact, they paid all but $1,000 of the closing cost. He never even apologized for giving me false information. He was just very defensive and he was rude about it. But Luke was great. He told me that he had to go by what was in the contract. He was the one who let me know pretty well into it.

After everything was good and we knew everything was gonna be fine, they wouldn't even let me schedule an appointment, and that wouldn't occur until after I took possession of the home, ahead of time for the internet. Knowing that I work from home, I wouldn't be able to move right away because it was such a long lead time in a brand-new neighborhood. Rick said that it would be fine but I found out three weeks into it that he didn't approve it. Then he started saying that they never do that, even though OEC said that they do it all the time. I told him I was frustrated and at that point, Rick started yelling at me. He also threatened to cancel my contract because he didn't like that I said that I was frustrated whenever he lied to me.

Rick is the biggest problem that LGI has. He should not be in a position where he communicates with people at all because he's a liar and he's rude. But everybody else has been great, like Philip and Christian. Once I was here, Philip handled all of the loan stuff, and he was extremely professional. That was a great experience. Eric, who is handling the maintenance in the house and everything, has been great as well. I like the neighborhood and the house. They've been really good at getting out here and taking care of what needed to be taken care of, like the air conditioning and the plumbing. I had some major problems the first couple of days I moved in but because they handled it, it didn't continue to be a big problem.

I was able to close within 30 days. But when I moved into the house, it wasn't ready because LGI waits until the day of closing to come in and do any kind of punch list or repairs. I had the house inspected and they couldn't check the air conditioning because of the temperature that day. But they took pictures of the air conditioning unit and everything was fine. After I got moved in and the air conditioner didn't work, they went up there and it was all torn apart. Somebody knew it wasn't working and let me move into the house with it not working. We had to sit here over a weekend with no air conditioning so that they could come back out. It was a major repair. There was a hole in a line in the wall. But the techs did a great job and they did it right away. Ultimately, I had to replace the entire unit outside because it went bad from having been left leaking and turned on.

At the end of the day, only having to pay $1,000 of the closing cost was a pretty good deal, especially with the way the market is right now. But the craftsmanship of the house is kind of poor. The texture in the wall looks so bad in so many places. There are so many things that I have to fix because LGI is not taking the time to do what they are doing. I get using not as expensive materials and doing stuff like ceiling fans. But if you're gonna pay somebody to come in and texture the walls, make sure they're doing a good job. If you're gonna be doing the baseboards and if something's broken or cracked, don't just fill it full of putty. This is a brand-new house, so they should replace the board.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

LGI is one of the better choices and better range of prices that we wanted for the square footage. We decided what we like and the rep explained the process. I always felt like buying a house would be complicated and lots of people told me it's stressful and arduous but we experienced the exact opposite. We decided to go with the preferred loan people with LGI and I felt like that really helped the process because they worked well together already. It was very straightforward.

LGI kept us updated. We were allowed to see the house as it was being constructed to see the final version before we finally moved in. The walkthrough was okay but I felt like we got a little tricked. Our backyard was all dirt and we understood it was supposed to be dirt but there had been rainstorms throughout January and people had been running around building the fence. There were huge footprints and the dirt was uneven. You could see there were pieces of trash. Then, they built the fence and nothing was done to the backyard to make it even or decent. They also had torn up the sod and there were five pieces of sod that were just mud. There was no grass. It was a very large and very obvious place that should have been fixed.

I asked them if they could fix that and the rep who was showing us around said they could. But there's a little paragraph on the sign-in paperwork that says if I have any issues that need to be addressed, I need to write them out in a couple of sentences. I didn't read the paragraph and put zero issues and it was my fault but I felt like I was tricked because the guy was like, "Okay, here, here, and here, and then just put zero here, and sign here." When I called back to say I would like to have the sod replaced and the backyard fixed, they said there's nothing for them to fix. It's kind of petty.

Also, when we went in, they were still doing paint touch-ups and there were little pieces of blue tape where they were supposed to be touching up paint. They said that by the time I get back, all the blue tape would be gone and all the touch-ups would be done. But we walk in the door and there were blue tapes everywhere and no touch-ups had been done. Other than those, the process went very smoothly and the community is really great. It seems like we have a good active community. I'm very happy with the purchase and with the community and I've had no problems with my house since we moved in.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cassandra, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the details of your closing paperwork and walkthrough and will use it to provide additional training to the local team. We are happy that your first time homebuying process went smoothly and are glad to hear that you love your community! If you have any outstanding items that you'd like to be addressed by our construction team, please submit a claim to our online warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Brandon did a great job at the job that he does. However, I thought we were able to pick our lot at this location and pick house styles or a little bit more open than what it actually was. I wasn't informed of that until the end of the presentation. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like I was at a timeshare all day. If he would have just told me that upfront, I would have been a lot better. It was his first day and I understand, he didn't want to scare off a sale. But, the first thing for me is just being honest with people. In our neighborhood, we have some really nice views of the metroplex. They release the homes only at certain times. That's one thing I had to find out at the end. The homes that were available were the first homes and down the bottom where they had no view.

It's a great quality home. There's just some cosmetic stuff that could have been done better. Some of my light switches looked like we let the rookie go and cut the hole in the sheetrock and the plates didn't even cover the hole. They also should do a better job of locking the homes, when they put doors on them. I had somebody steal my fridge, my oven and my microwave a week before we were supposed to close. Some of the drywall, there are also some imperfections. Sometimes there's a lot of vague things that go on there. If I'm seeing house repairs, I tell Brandon and it just doesn't seem like it goes anywhere. I don't know if that's him not reporting it to the contractor or they're just so busy. How LGI works, they just fix everything at the end.

I also don't know who picked the color scheme of the inside because it's a horrible color. I don't know why they would put beige walls with dark gray cabinets and gray and white granite and gray floors. Everything looks good but the wall. It just needed to be a light gray color. We had to change it before we even move in. It was unacceptable for my wife. She did not like it at all. Even the contractors that were out there, once they came back in after they painted it, they were like, "Oh, wow. This looks a lot better than what we're restricted to do." But I'm really happy with the final result. I would still recommend LGI.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cody, thanks for your review! For any items that need to be fixed in your home, please be sure you submit warranty claims through our online portal. We appreciate your feedback about your experience and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your new home.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I was a little disappointed to see that I had to pay more for my house than someone who had initially started the process a year ago for the same deals or model or the houses beside mine that were a little larger who paid about the same as what I had to pay. That was the only thing that I didn't like, but I don't think that was an LGI problem.

Other than that, the purchase process seemed to be easy with them. I went with their lender, due to them offering to cover closing costs if I went through their lender, and that was a pretty smooth process. Initially, I was given a closing day that seemed to have changed. They told me I was gonna close and there was kind of a little bit back and forth. They were unsure as far as what the construction would look like toward the end and that's why they pushed it out. But I ended up closing on the same week as the original date.

Then there were some concerns. We did a walk-through the day before the day of my closing date and there were some things that needed to be repaired. From my knowledge, the walk-through should occur a week before just to give more time for repairs. On the day of my closing, those repairs were still being completed and as I was doing my home orientation, there were still some things that they were in the midst of doing.

In the last experience that I've had with them, my mom did some research on LGI and found that this was something that was complained about across the board. She was concerned that they aren’t on top of doing some of the repairs upfront and in fear that if they didn't do it before I closed, that maybe they will be prolonged. But once we expressed our concerns and by the time I came back from the closing, I got my keys and they had come through and fixed everything. Also, they were pretty pleasant. I got my calls weekly, in regards to updates and things. It’s a decent experience.

LGI Homes response

Hi Imani, thank you for the review! Prices increase for several reasons and currently one of the driving factors has been increased costs of materials. We understand it can be frustrating, but it is a large part of why we believe that now is always the bet time to buy! We are glad that the closing process went smoothly and that the repairs were all taken care of in a timeline manner. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: May 25, 2021

I've been looking around for rental properties, and the housing market down here is so competitive. I was supposed to have been here last year, but because the whole COVID pandemic kicked off, I got stuck overseas. I was looking at used, but ended up looking at new builds because I was able to use my VA loan. For the most part, it was more advantageous for me to use that and get into a new home because of the closeouts, and LGI covered those out for us. The value of the house went up after we looked at it again, but overall, it was still a good experience because they met us halfway. It went up 4,900. They paid 3,900, and I paid 1,900 out of pocket.

This is my wife and I’s first time buying a new home, and when we were sold on the house and were just waiting for the closeout, we stopped in to get a couple quotes and measurements here and there. We knew that we were going to be able to close on the house, because everything finally got approved. We had come to the house and we made comments. There were a couple of things that weren't quite finished or looked out of place. The only thing that was concerning to us as new homeowners (and as a couple) was that the closer we got to the closeout date, even though we brought these little details to Amber's attention, it was the last week when they finally got taken care of. It could have been done within a more timely manner.

We were like, “Are we going to move into the home and things are still going to need to be fixed?” Amber reassured us that everything that we looked at that was deficient in the home was going to get fixed. We were going to get it in writing. But usually, when anyone thinks of a new home, they don't have to worry about that, especially when you're getting it within a week of closing. Now, needless to say, everything that we annotated was fixed before we moved into the house. But when we moved into the house, with that much of a time crunch and moving out of state, it was a bit of added stress that I felt was unnecessary.

I know there's a lot going on though, especially in this new neighborhood. We’re in a cul-de-sac. I have already referred a friend of mine to consult with LGI and look into doing business with them. He's also in the military, and he's on orders. He's going to be moving into the area in October. I gave him Amber's information and my Realtor’s information already. Because he's already looking in the area.

LGI Homes response

Hi Ivan, thank you for the review! We understand the stress you experienced as closing neared, but are glad that everything was taken care of. We appreciate you referring your friend and hope to help him!

Original review: May 8, 2022

Picking the house was irritating. When we looked at the houses the first time, we liked a house because it has a backyard backed up to the woods. But unfortunately, somebody put money on it. We ended up going with another house. We were kind of in the middle of the process and the first house we liked became for sale again but it wasn't offered to us. We had to do our own due diligence and I found out that it was available again. But by the time I got to ask about it, the mortgage rates have gone up. We weren't able to get the house that we actually wanted. I’m sure there was a couple of day window there where it could have worked out, but everybody else dropped the ball. Other than that, the signing was pretty simple and I didn't have to negotiate the price. It was a quicker move-in, too.

As far as working with LGI, I didn't specifically like our loan officer. She was rude to my wife quite a few times. She might not have been trying to be, but she just came off rather rude. And we never heard from the supervisor, Bobbi, at all. My Realtor tried to reach out to her a couple of times and she didn’t respond to her either. Mark was great when we dealt with him, though, but we never talked to him again.

I’m happy that I live in the house but there were a lot of headaches that could have been avoided. We had a cracked mirror and they had to repaint the house a couple of times before we moved in. But the color was really bad in the house, so we repainted the whole house anyway. Then, our water heater was not working properly so it was just replaced. Also, one of the planks on our wood floor is not all the way down and they're coming out at the end of the month to replace that.

LGI Homes response

Hi Joshua, we are sorry to hear that you didn't have a smooth experience selecting a floor plan, but we are happy to hear you are moved in to your new home now. We appreciate your feedback about our team, and we will be investigating further to provide additional training. We are also happy to hear you have had all items addressed by our construction team. We are proud to offer an industry-leading warranty - please submit any other items you'd like addressed within to your home to our online warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com. Thank you!

Original review: May 7, 2022

The rep was very friendly, thorough, and like a one-stop-shop place. He told us we had the option of working with an agent. But we opted not to just so we could get into the home. There weren't that many left. And they took care of everything, our mortgage, title, escrow. Also, he seemed trustworthy. My husband ended up taking him out to lunch. Even after spending an hour with him, he said, "If you want to think about it, you can come back tomorrow or next week. I'm here." So, no pressure, but we ended up going in contract that day.

My husband has been out to the home several times, and he has been impressed. We've had contractors out there, landscapers out there, and they've all said, "What a great build." We've had people up in the attic kind of doing their own walkthrough. And I liked the builder when he did a walkthrough with our friend. He was very thorough and cordial. We had some discussions about the electrical. And to ease us, he said, "You know what? Before we close, I'll have my electrical guy come and check all the outlets," which was great. It was our loan officer that answered most of our questions. She facilitated all the escrow and title. Everything was communicated through our lender. I would work with LGI Homes again.

LGI Homes response

Hi Heather, we are happy to hear you had a streamlined homebuying experience with us! Congratulations on your new home, we hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Thank you for choosing LGI Homes!

Original review: May 6, 2022

LGI Homes has a good starter home for anyone looking to start a house. Working with them was good as well as the quality of the build.

LGI Homes response

Hi Brandon, we are happy to hear you are satisfied with the quality of your home! Congratulations, we hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Original review: May 5, 2022

On August 31, 2020, I bought a house from LGI Homes located at **, which had the following construction defects that needed to be fixed under the LGI Homes warranty. I submitted a request for these repairs, but only two of them were fixed. They already closed the requests, even though, I’m still waiting for the kitchen floor and the carpet repairs. I have been trying to get in contact via text, phone call, and email with the manager and his manager who were in charge of the construction, but I have been ignored.

LGI Homes response

Hi Iris, we apologize for any lack of communication from our team, as this is not the typical experience with LGI Homes. We have sent your information to our management team, and someone will be following up shortly. We appreciate your patience as our team works through your warranty claims. Thank you.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Steve was the sales rep we had an appointment with and he seemed like he was out for our best interest. He let us know about the benefits of as far as lending and going through their lender or their preferred lender. We liked his personality and his care for what we wanted. That was why we decided to hang on and wait for this new build. As far as what we were looking at at the time, the houses that we were looking at already needed stuff. The roof needed be done. They already had people that lived there. The walls had to be painted. It was a choice between things that already had to be fixed versus getting into a new build, which was only $40,000, $50,000 more and not having to have that hassle of needing something right away. The builders have a structural warranty so that was a huge benefit. It just seemed all around that the benefits were much better going with a new build than a home that's already been built.

My wife and I have two kids and we have another kid on the way. We wanted a four-bedroom house. For the one we chose, we liked the floor plan and the way it was set up. There was a living room, kitchen, and downstairs area, which was nice. We got a big backyard, a nice big hallway, and a downstairs bathroom. All that's upstairs is just our rooms and our bathrooms. We always do a lot of family get-togethers. There’s no reason why everyone needs to be upstairs when everything is downstairs for everybody.

The process on the whole went really smoothly. The experience overall with Steve was awesome the whole time that we were waiting and he was reaching out with updates. He informed me, “Hey, this is what they're gonna want when you come and do your closing, or when you’re gonna be doing your prequal." He let me know so everything was really smooth sailing. There were a few issues with the flooring but LGI is already taking care of that. Steve went above and beyond for us as far as making sure that we understood what was going on and the benefits of going through them.

LGI Homes response

Hi Joshua, we are happy to hear your homebuying process went smoothly with Steve as your New Home Consultant! Congratulations on becoming a homeowner, we hope you have many more family get-togethers in your brand-new home!

LGI Homes Company Information