Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
LG Dryers
3.76/5

LG Dryers

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

252 LG Dryers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 27, 2012

When a sheet is drying in the dryer, it wraps itself into a big tube and rolls around the drum that way. The outside becomes bone-dry; the inside remains wet. LG says that's the way the dryer works. To improve the situation, I should go to the dryer when it happens, open the door, pull out and shake out the sheet, put it back in and begin drying again. Within a very few minutes, the sheet becomes a tube again! Do not buy an LG dryer!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

We also purchased LG washer/dryer, high end stainless steel. Washer is ok but we have experienced same problems as many others. The dryer LG Tromm DLE3777W never dried clothes correctly. It takes 90 minutes to dry an average load of clothes. An "energy star" product it is not. The repair guy gave us the same ** about the vent being dirty or clogged. Never was the case. Actually sounds like the repair guy was reading off a script. The second time to the house, the repair guy stated that the dryer was operating as designed. The real problem is that Home Depot is selling this stuff. Home Depot's reps are promoting this stuff and LG doesn't stand behind their product. Two options: contact the Better Business Bureau in your state (they are usually really good) and the second option is contact your state Attorney General. LG is selling a defective product and that, in every state, is fraud.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2011

LG finally did it! I will never buy anything that says LG on it. My LG Tromm DLE5977S bought at Home Depot and a crake in the stainless steel seam appears to get bigger and noisy. Please help.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

I bought LG WM3988HWA washer/dryer combo in 10/2/08, from Overstock.com. It stopped drying and showing FE Error. I paid $89 to diagnose and $960 for changing the bad control board. After many calls, LG now says they cannot extend warranty only because the purchase was from an unauthorized source!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

My dryer is only 2 years old, but the drum has a big crack and I can't use it any more. I call to request for service, but they said I have to pay for a replacement of a new drum. What? My question is why do I have to pay for a defective product? That's ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Refrigerators?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

Zero stars would be more like it! I have had an LG Steam Dryer for 2.5 years. It has never worked. I fortunately did purchase the Extended Service Plan from Home Depot. I have had it repaired 6 times and that's 12 service calls. It will heat a little for a few weeks and then stop working all together. The 6th repair, it didn't even heat the day the repair was done. Since then, I've called numerous times and Assurant (the provided for Home Depot's service plan) won't get back to me, won't send anyone to fix it, won't start a claim. I see it falls into the Lemon Law but if they can drag their feet for another month, one of the repairs falls off and then it isn't the Lemon Law any more.

They refuse to do anything to help. I've called Home Depot Corporate to see if they would do anything to help and was told "no, you need to work with Assurant". I have also called the Gas Company to look at it to make sure it was hooked up correctly to begin with. It is hooked up correctly but they said the flame is so huge that it's a total fire hazard and is now completely unhooked. So I'm left with a $1200+ piece of junk and no way to dry any clothes. I will never shop at Home Depot nor will I buy LG anything again. Don't believe reviews that say LG is in the top for dryers because believe me, they are all junk!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2011

After a couple years of normal household use, the stainless drum in the dryer has developed a crack in the weld seam. Considering the cost of the appliance, I find this defect in materials and workmanship unsatisfactory and I advise people against purchasing LG products.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2011

I have a 3 year old washer and dryer, which is nothing but pure junk! Fortunately, I have the 5-year bumper to bumper warranty. I replaced the drum in the dryer 3 times (split twice), and they are coming again to try to correct the heating problem. It takes more than 90 minutes to dry a normal load. The minute it is out of warranty, we are going to buy Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2011

I would give my LG dryer a zero! I have had my LG washer/dryer for about 5 years now and the dryer drum has cracked. This is crazy. These appliances should last at least 10 to 15 years! I paid over $2200.00 for the pair and I would expect it to last longer! LG should do a recall on these units and replace the dryers stainless steel drum! I will never buy another LG product again! People, you are crazy if you would ever consider buying an LG product. They are junk! I'm not happy!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2011

This morning, my wife started a load of clothes in my 2002 LG Trom front load dryer. I was in the backyard with the dogs. I noticed an electrical burning smell. I ran in the house to see if there was a fire! The dryer was smoking! I turned off the gas and unplugged it. I repair all types of equipment for a living. Upon disassembly, I found that the wires going to the safety temperature switch, on the top of the burner tube, had shorted out where they were rubbing on the gas line.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2011

I bought the LG washer/dryer combo from home depot 2 years ago (DLG2051w,WM2050C). I noticed the clothes were still wet, with a puddle of water on the floor under the washer. The next day, I put a load in the dryer to notice it was not heating at all. $2,000, 2 years, wow! I will never buy anything LG again!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2011

I purchased LG Dryer from Home Depot's stackable option package, yet when service needed on dryer, LG stated that I needed to unstack. Their representatives installed when we purchased, why would I need to unstack. What you pay for is not what you get from the LG product or from the LG Company. They should stand behind what they sell. I wish I had never ever purchased this product.

To anyone considering purchasing, I hope you'll look at the reviews. Do not buy and do not waste your money or time on this product. Look elsewhere for a quality product. I have purchased many items from Home Depot. They need to reconsider offering the LG product in their store. Reputation of products sold by Home Depot is important to customers like myself. Sure it's a LG product, but I bought it from Home Depot. Who get's the bad reputation? They both do, LG and Home Depot.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2011

When I purchased a new home, the LG dryer and washer came with it. I have had numerous problems with the dryer and after each repair, the dryer will work for a while. Slowly, the dryer begins not getting hot enough. I end up having to bring my clothes to a laundromat. I have spent at least $500.00 trying to repair this dryer. The service technicians have come back several times to repair it but each time they fix, something different and then it doesn't work after a few months.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy a new dryer. This company needs to be held responsible for a defective dryer. Too many people have hand similar problems. Does anyone know if anything is being done?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2011

Our LG washer/dryer is less than 5 years old. We bought these top of the line machines since we are getting older and wanted to be trouble-free for the foreseeable future. This year, we had to replace both circuit boards on the dryer. Then after that, the drum would not turn and the motor just buzzed. So we had to replace the motor too. A little reading on the internet and it seems that many people have had the same problem with the centrifugal switch on the motor, circuit boards needing replacement is common as well. Now, the washing machine has started to make a loud, squeaking sound when it runs. My old washer/dryer combo was purchased in 1986 and was still working perfectly in 2007 when we bought the LG units. We paid a premium for a top of the line, but we sure didn't get a top of the line reliability.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I purchased the front loader LG laundry and gas dryer DLG2702V from Home Depot. I also purchased the 4-year extended warranty. Both worked fine for almost two years now. Two weeks ago the dryer destroyed a load of shirts, my "office" shirts probably a $300 replacement cost. When I opened the door a strong smell of burned electric wires come out. The shirts are full of holes, as if burned at random, and the steel drum is covered in a grey-colored film.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I purchased an LG washer/dryer 6 years ago. I had problems with the washer from the first week. Six service calls were made within the first year to correct the problem of the washer stopping during the spin cycle. They kept coming to fix it until the warranty ran out. Then, they told me that it's “too bad". They refused to take it back, although I asked for 2 years! I finally kicked it to the curb, and bought a Maytag. There are no bells and whistles, but it works fine. The dryer stopped drying completely during cycles after 3 years of owning it. No repair corrected the problem. I had to run a dryer cycle 2-3 times to dry the clothes. Now that doesn't even work. I cannot find an LG repairman since nobody wants to deal with this company. I'm kicking it to the curb today, and going to buy a Maytag.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

I own an LG dryer (Model: DLG5988W) just over five years now. This past summer, I noticed a noise and the felt along the rim inside the drum was coming out. I notified the service company and they ridiculously removed the felt--had to scrape glue from the unit. This took about three hours--the service person was outside in heat applying the new glue and the new felt to the drum. Keep in the mind that the entire unit needs to be taken apart to do this. When he was finished, he said that they could have ordered an entirely new drum and not have to remove and reapply the felt--but they chose to do it this way.

Three months later, I noticed some markings on my clothing, sheets, blankets, and white clothing. The felt is coming out again and the noise has returned. We have contacted the service company who says that our warranty was just up about two months ago. They originally charged us approximately $300+ and now, they say that the drum needs to be replaced and it would cost about $600+.

We want it replaced and the original cost be deducted, since the problem was a temporary fix. Now, they won't even return our calls. So I continue to put aside all the ruined clothing, blankets, etc. I will never ever give LG my business. I also own the frontload washer, which, by the way, smells all the time. I remember growing up and the washer and dryer lasted 15+ years. LG sucks!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

We just past the 5-year mark on our DLE3777W and got the diagnosis that the drum would need to be replaced. I asked why the weld would give out. The repairman said, "The heat." The heat? It's a dryer! We should expect more out of the premium price we paid for this unit. We spent $360 for the repair fee and had a week without the dryer while we're waiting for parts.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2011

I purchased an LG front load washer and dryer from Best Buy. I have been using the product since 2006. I have to say that these are the worst products I have ever purchased! All of my clothes smell like someone vomited on me! Every ** time I put on a colored shirt, especially cotton--if I sweat a bit, I began to smell like everyone around me took a ** and all threw them at me at once! It is ridiculous that such an expensive product ($2,400.00) for the set would be so **! I will never buy LG products again.

I have had customer service out on three occasions. All of them tell me that lame ** about cleaning the gasket between loads. ** that! I paid quadruple the money for this so-called new, state-of-the art technology so I wouldn't have to clean gaskets! I never had to clean the ** gaskets on my piece of ** top load set that I purchased from a thrift store prior to buying this! Now, I regret giving my old washer and dryer away to Goodwill. Well, I am out of warranty now and I have to endure funky ** clothes. I am limited to whites, non-cotton, and clothes that I can dry clean. LG, ** you and kiss my **!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2011

Just like the many others on this site, I purchased a match set of LG laundry appliances from Home Depot just over four years ago. I also purchased a four-year "bumper to bumper" warranty and thank goodness I did.

Shortly after we had them, the dryer drum had to be replaced because it split. Drum number 3 was installed 3/1/11 because of the same issue. Now, it has split and I need yet another drum (#4). But of course, the "bumper to bumper" warranty is no longer in place so I am going to see if my home warranty will cover it. I called the company that did the last warranty repair and they quoted me $368 to repair again with guarantee that it won't happen in another few months. They said it happens all the time. I noticed someone on this site said the stainless steel drums should have a five-year warranty but not sure that is correct.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2011

I have a LG dryer that is a little over a year old and it is the worst dryer I've owned in 30 years. It won't dry the clothes. I need more than an hour to dry even the smallest load. A very poor product. Wish I could send it back. I am going back to Whirlpool.

Original review: July 18, 2011

LG DLE5977SM dryer built to last 5 years or less. Like most people with stainless steel LG dryers, the drum cracked near the front of the weld seam. It is not thumping and scraping on every turn. This is a chronic problem that LG should address. That is why they have a 5 year warranty on their drums for both the dryers and washers...they don't expect them to last more than 5 years. I'm going back to german built appliances. Thanks LG, you've just lost another customer who will never buy LG again.!!

Original review: May 25, 2011

My washer/dryer unit stopped drying since the vent was plugged with lint. I have had a repair person come out 4 times under the warranty. He came to look at why the unit was not allowed to wash/dry. I tried to get the warranty company to replace it. The reason that the machine is not drying is due to a design flaw. But the LG Company sent me a statement stating that they are aware of the design but they could not do anything about it and would not replace the unit with a washer and dryer.

Original review: May 16, 2011

I have owned a LG gas dryer for several years. I had problems from the start which LG has no records of, then I moved on to my extended warranty phase. It has run out now, but the dryer still does not dry well. I was beginning to think that I was nuts after so much service and not enough heat. Then I read this site and went OMG, that's me and a bunch of others!

To say LG had awful customer service is being kind. I can get no help from anyone. So in the meantime, I have to plan on two hours to dry a regular load of clothes. So much for saving energy with gas. I also have an LG TV. The poor performance with that appliance should have sent up red flags, but the stores told me that LG was top of the line. I am not in the position to replace this. I want my cheapo Frigidaire back! I never had a moment's trouble with it in 20 years!

It was mainly aggravation and waste of time and all those $69.95 fees to walk in the door to do what the technical support tells them, but without fixing the machine.

Original review: May 12, 2011

I have had the LG DLE9577 Dryer for 4 years and the technician that came out to the house told me there was a problem with the dryers. My drum cracked! I asked him if it was common and he said yes, all the time. Because of the cracked drum, the wheels also have to be replaced.

I decided to go online and look to see what I could find. Well, here are all the complaints! When I called LG about the product problem, they said they had no reports of the drum going bad. However, he did offer up the new dryers come with a drum warranty of their own and are made better, and are stainless steal. This tells me they do know about the problem!

Needless to say I'm not happy with LG. I liked the set because it could stack. However, this defeats the reason in getting it if I have to buy a whole different dryer because I will not buy another LG product.

I do agree with the one person about a class action lawsuit on the dryer. At least replace the failing part that goes bad. Let LG be out a boat load of money for the repairs, not us hard working people!

Original review: May 12, 2011

We purchased a matching LG Tromm washer and dryer (front loading), approximately three years ago. For at least the past two years we have had a terrible time with clothes smelling sour and mildewy after being washed. Subsequent researched turned up countless complaints about this same problem. We've tried many "fixes" some of which seemed to help a little, but the problem would always returned.

The dryer unit started making a terrible thumping sound after about two years of use. I still do not know exactly why this is occurring. Some of what I read suggested it was the silicone wheels that get warped from the heat. Other posts indicate it is a problem with a crack in the barrel. My biggest issue at this point with the dryer is that it has never dried the clothes very well. I routinely have to run two or more cycles to get the clothes dry, especially things like jeans and towels. In addition, this morning I noticed that the dryer actually stops before the end of the cycle. I had it set for 1:43 "Anti-bacterial" setting (ironically to help with the smell from the washer), but the dryer cut off after only 30 minutes.

Considering how much we paid for these items, it is very upsetting and frustrating. I have not contacted LG, in part because so many have done so to no avail and I don't have time to waste on such useless attempts.

Original review: April 1, 2011

I purchased an LG dryer 6 weeks ago. It started making a rumbling noise - apparently the dryer sheets were somehow escaping the inside of the dryer and jamming the internal gears of the dryer. It cost me $149 for a service call. The technician was at my house for merely 15 minutes and he knew immediately what the problem was. He said that he's done several repairs for this type of problem. He said that socks will get loose somehow too.

Original review: March 10, 2011

Had my LG Tromm dryer for about 4 years now and this is the second time in 6 months that I need the drum replaced do to the welding seems cracking. I don't understand how I pay big money for something that falls apart after only a few years. Never again will I buy LG products.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2011

I have an LG Dryer. As what many had already stated, the drum is thin and cracked, tearing many clothes before I figured it out. This is obviously a problem that LG needs to address and correct. I will not buy an LG product again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2011

LG DLE 2150 Dryer, dead out of the box. I bought the dryer over a year ago, but only installed it a week ago due to construction delays as such has no warranty coverage.

The door switch is defective. I managed to get the dryer to work by jamming a toothpick in the door switch. I’m less than impressed.

LG Dryers Company Information