Lawn-Boy

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a 21 in self-propelled lawn mower from Home Depot, model 10732. I am an engineer, and upon assembling the bagger onto the mower for the first time, I questioned the design wondering how they (the designers of the bagger assembly/interface) expect the bag to stay on during vibration. I should have trusted my suspicion that it was a problem and returned it right then, but I didn't.

Now, sure enough, while mowing, the bag indeed does vibrate loose and an opening forms between the bag and the mower, and grass blows out toward the operator's face. The problem is that where the bag engages (well is supposed to engage I should say) is not a hook shape, but is an L shape, so the bag can bounce upward with no resistance except for the light spring on the plastic cover that lays over the front of the bag, which isn't near enough to hold it in place. Not only would I not recommend this mower to anybody, but I say avoid it as it presents a safety hazard. Lawn-Boy should recall them.

Self propelled mower, model 10734 - Within one year, the mower would not start. The auto prime feature no longer works. If you tilt the lawnmower on two wheels to the left about 45 degrees, hold for a few seconds and then put back on all 4 wheels, it should start. This action probably gets some gas into the carburetor and allows it to start. Just an FYI for those having trouble starting any lawn mower with no priming bulb.

Lawn-Boy 21 in. Self-Propelled Electric Start Gas Lawn Mower purchased 09/29/2014. Self propel quit working. Took to authorized dealer, told me unit had wrong transmission installed when I ordered from Home Depot. This abnormal spacing caused wheels and gears to wear prematurely and is not warrantable repair... so basically unit trash... I'll never buy from Toro Company again. Pieces of**.

Purchased a Lawn-Boy Push mower at the end of the grass cutting season last year. I used it 3 times on my front lawn only which is average size (I use my riding mower on the backyard) and pulled it out this year and it would not start. I tried for about five minutes without any luck and then began troubleshooting it. The filter was clean, it had fuel (I drained and replaced) and the spark plug was firing and still had no luck. I've had the lawn mower for about 8 months and I see that I have gave The Home Depot $250 too for a worthless piece of junk. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT!!!

I bought a self propelled Lawn-Boy, model number 10734 from Home Depot on 03/13/2016, I have used this mower 1 time without problem, the second third and fourth times, the self propelled function will not engage, or stay in engaged, if you can get it there. I took it back to Home Depot, they want me to pay to send off for repair, and to pay to fix it! I refuse to pay them one more dime!

I will not shop Home Depot or Lawn Boy products, ever again. This is ridiculous, a less than 3 month old lawn mower, used four times, and they want me to pay to repair, after the sales associate told me at time of purchase it was covered for a year. Such bull crap! I called Home Depot main office, got told the same story, that I need to pay to fix and send off. I refuse to pay them anymore! I called Lawn Boy directly today, they told me to adjust the self propelled cable, that did nothing. I am done with them! I would not recommend this item, or Home Depot for the matter to any other hard working person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lawn-Boy?

Same experience as many others. It lasted about 10 times the first year. Had the carbs cleaned twice the next summer. Had the carbs cleaned once this year and today it wouldn't start. Mechanic says it's the ethanol. Tried stabilizer. I'm done - had a craftsman that lasted 10 years. The lawn boy really only worked for the first year. Bought it from Home Depot. Total waste of money and time along with a lot of frustration??? Do not buy this garbage.

My husband and I got talked into purchasing a Lawn-Boy mower from our local Home Depot sales guy. I liked how it was easy to push but noticed quickly that the mechanics of the mower wouldn't allow the bag to fill up. We noticed that the cut grass was all over the lawn. We had to empty the bag before it was even half way full. Then, like nearly every review I read, the lawn mover wouldn't start after the first year we had it. My husband, like many others, changed the spark plug, changed gas, etc. and it still won't start!! Only 2nd year we've had it. Now our grass is so tall from all the rain, we don't know what to do. I think Home Depot needs to stop selling these worthless mowers and I will tell them so.. Just putting my 2 cents in as we are screaming mad!!

I love Home Depot, but I bought a Lawnboy from them, which ran fine the first time I used it. Then the next time I took it out, it wouldn't start. I took it and they put a new spark plug in it and said that's all they did and it was fine. Used it a 3 or 4 more times, then wouldn't start again, so I replaced the plug again myself and it worked all that day. A week later I go to mow my yard and halfway through it stops and won't restart. I put starter fluid in and it restarts but then dies. I pour out the ethanol gas in it, put the canned Pure Fuel you pay $5 for at Home Depot, put a new spark plug in and it still doesn't start. I put start fluid in the carb and it starts long enough to burn it off and then it stops again. So I take it in to Home Depot. The guy there is telling me it's the fuel.... even the Pure Fuel.

This is crazy - I've never had this problem with a lawn mower before in my life. He says the government has gotten so peculiar and tight with the ethanol that this problem has resulted in engines built overseas? What! He says there is now a WaWa close to me that sells fuel without ethanol and I should start buying it there. But I used Home Depot Fuel with no ethanol and that didn't fix my problem! Good Grief. I'm furious... At this point I want them to take their stupid mower back... but no return on gas engines over 30 days. Heck my 30 days was up by the time I used it the first time! I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER LAWNBOY!

I bought this mower I used It twice. Then it wouldn't start. So I took carb all apart and cleaned it. It ran ok. Put it the shed. Took it out a week and a half later wouldn't run! Cleaned the carb again! Ran great this one time. The next time I took it out it wouldn't start again! So I did it one more time. Ran great for 5 min then the fuel line broke probably from removing it 100 times. What happened? I've had mowers my whole life. You take them out, prime them, and start right up. THIS MACHINE IS BRAND NEW! I'm not only never buying a lawn boy again but I'm never shopping at joke depot again because this was the problem with the first one. I brought it back only to get another one that won't run!!!

I bought an older Lawn Boy push mower for $3 at a garage sale four years ago. The man having the sale had been given the mower the previous year and had never used it. The original owner was a man who always took good care of his tools (and mowers) and just had the "extra" one to get rid of. Anyway, I gave the mower a few good pulls and although it didn't start, it seemed to have good compression and the recoil worked just fine. I took it home, pulled and sharpened the blade, made the gas-and-oil mixture and filled the tank. The mower started on the first pull and it ran perfectly, and I mowed for over an hour with no trouble at all. That same mower continues to run perfectly, starting on the first or second pull...... and this despite the fact that I have no garage nor other shelter for it, and I don't even bother to cover it with a tarp against the rain, AND it sits outside all winter. Heck, for a $3 mower, why bother.

This Lawn Boy is by far the best lawn mower I've ever owned, and I have a fairly big lawn which takes over 3 hours to mow. I've bought brand-new mowers and, even with good care and maintenance, they've usually only lasted a season or maybe two. This mower is also extremely fuel-efficient; I can mow the entire lawn on slightly more than one tank of gas, whereas other mowers have needed up to three full tanks. I'm not sure if this is because it's a 2-cycle engine, but in any case I'd buy a Lawn Boy again tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.

Purchased a Lawn Boy push Mower from Home Depot two years ago. Used for a total of 10 times in less than 2 years and second time it won't start/run. First time was my fault and left gas in it over the winter and needed the carb to be cleaned ($80). Use it less than 5 more times, add stabilizer, keep everything clean and guess what... Won’t start/run again. Paid $250 for the mower and now with 10 times use will have spent another $160 in carb cleanings. I called Lawn Boy and they just tell me to bring it back to the repair center to have them look at it again. After reading all the other complaints, it appears Lawn Boy has an issue with their junk mowers and won’t stand behind the warranty. They just want to blame customer's lack of care as the issue. Do yourself a favor and buy something other than Lawn Boy!!!

I purchased a Lawn-boy self-propelled mower five years ago. Towards the end of last season the transmission was clearly going out and the engine was surging badly when not under load. Come to find out that you can't repair the tranny, you replace it... but the worst part was the fact that the surging problem was due to an issue with the governor and it would cost more to repair it than the mower was worth. The reason why I purchased a Lawn-boy is because 30 years ago I fixed lawnmowers for a living. The outfit I worked for sold both Toro and Lawn-boy and I was always impressed with the engineering and quality of their products. That was then, now I come to find out that made in Mexico spells doom to any hope of long term use of a mower. Heck, I kept a Craftsman mower running for 17 years! To anyone who is considering purchasing a mower, stay away from Lawn-boy.

This is my review of the Lawn Boy Company and their damn manufacturers warranty. I've had their piece of ** lawn mower for 1 year exactly. It has been used twice then placed in storage for the winter season. Well here we are thinking we were going to mow our lawn this spring. Not this year! The lawn mower wont start. We've checked all the typical components as to why it wouldnt start so now what. It's still under warranty somewhere. Several calls to Lawn Boy and we are referred back to the retailer then referred to another retailer for repair. I take off work early because this location has normal business hours. We get to that retailer and they don't service lawn mowers.

Contact Lawn Boy and they give us another location and hopefully that one will service lawn mowers because the next location they can refer me to is miles outside of the city. This is all the while carrying a lawn mower that smells of gas in my trunk. I contact this repair retailer and they tell me they have tons of lawn boy mowers now that are having gas related issues (needs cleaning), and that is not covered under manufacturers warranty and will cost $65-$70. This has been the absolute worst experience ever and I still have a lawn mower that is not running. Bite Me!

Bought from home depot, 1 1/2 years ago brought in for service. Mower would not start, used all Recommended gas treatment home Depot and manufacturer recommended. Still under 2 year warranty, Been advised mower needs new carburetor. Manufacturer and home depot will not replace carb, I Must pay for new carb - $189.00 to repair. Stay away from lawn boy and home depot. They would not honor warranty.

We purchased this Lawn-Boy about 6 months ago and it wouldn't even start straight out of the box. I love doing Lawn work but with my busy schedule, I don't have time to spend on jacking with a mower that is still new so I took it back to Home Depot a week later and they said it had bad gas. So they sent me to the tool rental where a tech drained the gas and put in new gas. It fired right up! I was so happy that it was that simple. I took it home and mowed the lawn. One week later, the Lawn-Boy wouldn't start. Because of time, I had to hire lawn care company to keep my lawn within regulations in this HOA.

After trying Home Depot with no help, I decided to look into it more myself. If bad fuel was the problem before, I was doubtful, but I started there. I knew that the gas couldn't be that bad but I drained the fuel and put a little octane booster in the tank and it still didn't even try to start. I grew up in a mechanic house and spent most of my days in a garage working on engines of all makes and models and I know that there are three reasons for this motor to not fire and that is fuel, fire or air. I concluded that the fuel was not the problem and the filter was still new and looked like it so I pulled the spark plug wire and I get no fire. After the reviews I've read about how the warranty is not honored and knowing that Home Depot associates are not mechanics and can only do so much, it looks like I am SOL on this bad purchase. So not ever buy this product!!!!!

Mower won't keep running after hard initial starting. Has been to service and can't fix. Lawn-Boy won't replace and Home Depot won't replace. Out $239 for mower. Lawn-Boy doesn't have a good network of service repair shops and doesn't care! Shame on Home Depot for selling this junk product!!!

I bought this Lawn-Boy mower less than 2 years ago. It is still under warranty for parts and labor. I followed all maintenance rules strictly by the book and kept up with everything. A few weeks ago, a big piece of metal shot out from the mower, turning out to be a piece of the motor. I found out later they said it had a crack causing the oil to leak, like I was supposed to see a crack inside the motor that happened when it was being used that day because there was oil in it! I was told to take it to an authorized repair shop, which I did. That was my first mistake. I took it to this place on Atwood Ave. in Cranston, RI (name will be sent to BBB), and I immediately met with a representative with a major negative, rude attitude. The rep told me he didn't care what the warranty said - he would make the final decision. To no surprise, he got back to me blaming me for the part breaking. I contacted Lawn-Boy direct. They did not hesitate to take the word of their authorized dealer that it should not be covered under the warranty and they have refused to fix this.

I am now out $300 because they sell garbage and do not stand by their product, not to mention they have ignorant, rude representatives working for them who make their decisions based on who they know or don't know and treat human beings like trash immediately upon entering their store! Never will I buy their products again, nor will my family, friends or anyone else. It’s absolutely the worst experience I have had with a company over something that was of no fault of mine. Warranty - yeah, right. What a farce! They should be ashamed stealing people’s money like this. I will be filing with the Better Business Bureau. It won’t get me anywhere, but maybe if everyone does this someone will stop these thieves!

We spent $500.00 and a Lawn-Boy mower 1 year and 7 months ago. It wouldn't start last week so we took it in to be serviced. Mechanic said the pistons are loose, metal shavings in the engine, needs a new motor and not worth fixing. Surprise! It's not covered by the warranty because this was caused by, "not cleaning the air filter, "even though that was cleaned after every use. Then it was changed to, "because you didn't get the oil changed," and, "it was used too hard.” All we did was mow our lawn with it. Any excuse making it our fault and not a factory defect. We didn't loan it out to the neighbors, didn't start up a mowing business, and just mowed our lawn. We don't live on acres of land either. Apparently, the aluminum engine couldn't handle normal use and the company will not honor their warranty.

I was cutting the grass with the Lawn-Boy 10200 that I had just bought from an acquaintance for 120 dollars. The mower looked and seemed really nice. I knew nothing at all of the recall. Anyhow, while cutting the lawn the blade apparently chipped or something and launched a piece of metal into my foot/front of my ankle causing massive bleeding rushed to emergency room. The cut was so deep and wide you could see my bone. It took 5 stitches on the inside and another 7 on the outside. It hurt like crazy and still does hurt really bad. I just wish I knew of recall earlier to have prevented this. Now, I have hospital bills, follow up appointments and follow up care!

CPSC, Lawn-Boy Inc. Announce Recall of Power Mowers WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Lawn-Boy Inc., of Bloomington, Minn., is recalling about 102,000 Lawn-Boy power mowers. Due to wear caused by the mulch fan, the mowers' blades can crack and break off. Broken pieces of the blade can be propelled from underneath the mower, possibly injuring the operator or a bystander.

Lawn-Boy has received eight reports of blades breaking on these mowers, including a consumer who was struck on the shin by a piece of a broken mower blade, resulting in a laceration. The recalled Lawn-Boy Silver Pro and Gold Pro Series are 2-cycle, walk-behind, 21-inch power mowers. A decal on the right rear of the mower's housing (Silver Pro) or beneath the handle control panel (Gold Pro) has a serial number from 8900001 to 8999999, and one of the following model numbers: 10247 10250 10323 10324 10331 10332 10424 10425 10525 10527 10547 10548

Hit with piece of blade. This happened to me on a 10324 with a later serial number,After speaking with a supervisor, Kevin at Lawnboy they would not send me the replacement kit.

Rear wheel on a model 10682 rear-wheel self-propelled mower has fallen off. Two separate dealers have attempted to repair the mower but it continues to happen and poses a major risk to the operator of the mower. I have repeatedly contacted Lawn-Boy to talk with the district service rep about giving me a discount to trade in this mower for a new one. They keep trying to fix it without success.

Lawn-Boy Company Profile