4.5/5 (264 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

We live in Texas and the water is very hard. This is a new house so we wanted to have a softener and filtration system to save on detergent and on the appliances. A neighbor told us about Kinetico and we got the softener and the drinking station from them. Their reps were professional and courteous. The installation also went well. The installers showed up when they said they would and they did it quickly. They cleaned up afterwards, too, and it wasn’t a messy process. Since having the system, we’re using less shampoo and less product for the water to get sudsy. We also have no markings or hard water stains on the dishwasher or in the glass shower. I would recommend Kinetico.

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for this review. Your remarks match our expectations. Here's to many years of great water for you!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had a whole-house system for Municipal water installed and it is so efficient on salt that I can't believe it. We use less than a bag every 2 months with my wife and I, and we don't have to worry about chlorine anymore. I didn't realize how much was in the water but it all made sense why my clothes fade. This equipment is not cheap but it is definitely worth it if you want to have it for 10 or more years.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have a lot of lime in our water so I got a water softener for the whole house because that could clean the water up. I already have one of Kinetico's products so I went with them and bought another one. The installation team was great! We had them to move the system a little bit which they did and didn't mind at all. They even change my filters out every time they come because I have a reverse osmosis as well. I like them and their system a lot. Generally, everything went well.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I had a Kinetico product before and I had good luck with it. Recently, I bought a water softener from them and I'm happy with it. The reps I worked with were all professional and straight to the point. The ones who installed it for me were also good.

Hi Darin,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Kinetico brand. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Had a great experience with the technician and the salesman, Denis ** who was on time. We love our Kinetico water system and the reverse osmosis drinking water system. Came on time and installation was very professional. The system gives us soft water for our laundry and gives us great showers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

K5 Installation - Excellent service experience. Quick, complete and first rate all around. The installation team arrived on time, quickly and expertly installed and tested the system, and gave me a quick primer on the replacement of filters when they are needed. I will certainly recommend this system to friends, family and others.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had a service with another company that I was not happy with. They didn't take very good care of us. Whenever I had a question, they ignored it and kept charging me money. We had a salt saver which took up a lot of room in my pantry. Kinetico came very highly recommended from other people so I switched. We loved the rep that we worked with. He was kind and had a sense of humor. When they did the installation, they took everything out that we didn't want and hauled it away. And they contacted the previous company we had and told them that we didn't want to be contacted again and they can get their stuff from Kinetico. They did a great job with the installation and it was very neat and clean. They picked up after themselves, and they wore booties after their shoes. Kinetico is expensive but we are very, very happy with the service and installation. We don't have rusty water anymore, and our bathtub is clean, and our padding and sinks stay clean.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I had Kinetico when I was in the city. I moved in November 1st. And in the latter part of November or first part of December, I had the system installed in my current place. I have my own well. Before, there was no water softener here. I have outside faucets on both sides of the house. So when they hooked it up, they hooked it up so that if I wanted to run either one of the outside faucets, it's going to be soft water which I'm just working the system where it shouldn't be. What it should be is just going right from the pump right out to the outside.

Kinetico hooked the system up wrong. I had a plumber come in here to fix up a leak in the pipe. He looked at it and he said "Pardon me." He said "What was the guy thinking when he hooked this up?" He said "You're going to run soft water your outside outlet. You shouldn't do that." He said that what they normally do is they run soft water inside and the outside faucets are just plain right off of the pump. So if I wanted to water my grass for a couple of hours or so, it's going to be soft water. And then the thing is going to be running. So I have to change the filters or whatever I have going on. And there was another filter which was just left on there. So I'm filtering the water twice. And I have not contacted Kinetico about the problem. If I contact them, they might say if I want it corrected, I'm going to pay to have the plumber come out and fix it. I run into this before and I don't want to go through hassle and the crap that goes with it.

Hi Doug,

Most installations require considerable additional plumbing and labor to run hard water lines to the outside faucets. We are not on site, so don't know what your installation requires.

We would be happy to review your concerns with the installer if you would like. Feel free to reach out to us at customersupport@kinetico.com or 800.944.9283 if you would like to have that discussion opened.

Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

We had a strong sulfur smell in our well water at the cabin and I had my heart set on the Kinetico so that was the logical choice. I bought a reverse osmosis softener and a Sulfur Guard unit. The quote that they provided had some seasonal discounting and so I was happy with the price. I went to their website, found the dealer who covered my region, called them up and left a voicemail. He called me back within 10 minutes and for the first appointment, he said he would take care of everything and that I didn’t have to be at the cabin. I explained to him how to get in and where to look for things. Then, I had him come back out after he installed the systems to show me how to work them. We used to bring bottled water up to the cabin every weekend but now, we bottle the water and bring it home. In fact, it's the best tasting water I've ever had. I highly recommend Kinetico.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We placed a service call because we were not getting soft water. The system was checked and parts replaced. We knew that we would not get soft water until the water in our water heater was replaced so we waited. But after more than a week, we still did not have soft water. We called for another service call. This time the brine tank was checked and found that we needed another part that was missed the first time. The technician also ran the system and the cold water until the tests he did showed we had soft water before he left. He was very thorough. Although the first technician was very nice, we would have to give him only 2 stars as he missed a part that needed to be replaced and did not test the water before he left leaving us with two more weeks of hard water. The second technician did an excellent and thorough job. I do like the fact that the technicians wear shoe covers when they come in the home.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We had a water softener abroad and we were really happy with the result and I wanted to have it here in the US as well when we moved. Setting up the appointment with Kinetico was very easy. We got somebody come over and the agent took time to explain everything. It was a good experience. Then the installation was quick and clean. We are happy with the water softener and we also have a water filter for drinking water. We've had less limescale and watermarks. I would recommend Kinetico.

Beatrice,

Welcome to or back to the States. Thanks for choosing Kinetico for your water treatment needs, both near and afar!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We had a lot of rust, and we had a lot of iron and other minerals in the water here. I liked to get it cleaned up. There are a lot of different water softeners out on the market, but I thought Kinetico was more of a top of the line softener and also, they have a good history. Setting up an appointment with them was really simple. I told them that I was interested and Dave came out. He showed us what was available and he did one free water test right at the night that he was here for us to figure out what we were going to need. The water test kind of confirmed what I already knew. I used to be a wastewater operator in a small town, and had quite a bit to do with water, and seeing different applications, I knew a little bit about what was going on.

Once we figured out what would be best suited for our house, we set up a date for the installer to come out and put it in. We bought a water softener and a drinker water system and had them installed inside the house. One guy came out and he had everything that he needed and he did a good job. There were no return visits to finish up anything, too. And now, the soap dissolves and it rinses off a lot better. And I can tell that it’s softer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I was in a hurry to get something and I had heard that Kinetico was good. I got a double water softener with free filter from Kinetico. I visited the store in Hayward first and then they sent somebody out. They did a free water test for me and the rep I spoke with to set up the appointment was all right. There were a couple of installations and they did it pretty quickly. I had no issues. Kinetico is good, but it’s expensive. It was far more than I had expected to pay.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We purchased a new home and it did not have a water softener in it. An appointment was easy to set up and the rep came out to our house. He tested the water, which wasn’t nearly as bad as what we thought. The installer was good and he wasn’t here for very long, maybe an hour. We got a refurbished system and what stood out completely about it was that it’s not plugged in. There’s no power source. The water is a lot better now than what it was when it was tested.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My sister and I had cancer and our doctor recommended that we look into our water system. My sister did the research which I benefited from. She gave me a number and I called the guy about Kinetico. He came out within a couple of days and he showed me all the different options. I told him what I wanted and what my issues were. He looked around my property, I live on a farm, and he said I had all these possible contaminants. He did a water test and showed me what contaminants I had in the water. He then fixed some tea with water from my tap then he fixed tea again but with water from one of his systems. The comparison was amazing. When I agreed to do a whole water system throughout the house, they installed it within 10 days. It was fabulous how quickly they were able to put it in.

The system really changed my life so I very much like it. Kinetico has a really good product and they’ve done an excellent service. I used to drink various beverages and now I think the taste of the water is good because I don’t bother with anything else. And my shower, floors and everything that I used the water to clean is cleaner. I don’t have any residue whenever I shower. I stopped worrying about cleaning and getting rid of the different build-ups.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We were building a new house and some people who I work with, as well as my sister, had Kinetico systems. It gave me great confidence in talking to people who actually had the systems. And I tried the drinking water and it was as good as any bottled water. We drink a ton of water and so we decided that it was an area that we wanted to spend the money in. We got a water filtration system and also a water softener from Kinetico.

Kinetico's sales person was able to come out within a few days, and he explained all the different options and we just built around what was most important and where we wanted the filtered water and it worked out great. They installed everything during the build and it's ready to go. The drinking water has been tremendous, and we use it all the time and don't have to buy bottled water anymore, so it's great.

One thing we have noticed is that around the sinks where the water splashes, there were white marks, which is an indication of the hard water. When I called and told them about the situation and my suspicion that maybe the water softener isn't doing what it's supposed to, they were able to give me a service call within a week and they came out to check it out. They could have done it on Friday, but we weren't available, so we just called two days ago. I was pleased with the response from and everybody I've dealt with has been great. I would tell my friends to definitely look into a Kinetico system. It's worth the investment.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a well and a water softener, and drinking the softened water isn't objectionable. However, I am in Door County where there's a high limestone quotient in our water. Although the water softener takes out most of it, when I would have a drink with some ice cubes in it and when I was done, I'd look in the bottom and there'd be some sediments. I remodeled my kitchen ten years ago and at that time, I bought one of Kinetico's RO systems. It lasted for six years and then stopped working. The good news was that my ex-wife was the only one who really used it much, so it wasn't high on my list of things to get done. However, my doctor suggested that I should start drinking some more water, and so I had to replace it. I called somebody at Aquarius, told them my story about how I was unhappy and asked what we could do. They said, "We'll fix you up. We'll reduce the price on our RO because we want you to be happy."

Setting up the appointment went very well once we decided to do it. However, I ended up having a number of things going on in my life, and the appointment got delayed because of me. When it was finally going to be done, I called and spoke with a lady named Marsha. This was on a Wednesday and she asked when I would like to have it done. I jokingly asked, "How about tomorrow?" And she said, "Can't do it tomorrow. How about Friday?" That was perfect, so she said, "The guy will be there right in the morning." And sure enough, he was.

The gentleman's name was Corry, and he and I got along very well. As he walked in the door and we ended up coming through the garage, the first thing he did was slip on booties over his shoes. The fact that they were concerned about my carpeting and keeping it clean and nice was a nice expression of their concern. The install would have taken half the time if I had just gone into the living room, sat with a book and left him alone. But he put up with me, talking to him and telling him stories. I've got the system mounted in a faucet and it provides a water fountain on my kitchen sink and my refrigerator ice maker. In the future, it may be expanded to a spigot outside on my deck. We got lucky that we were able to reuse a bunch of the plumbing that had already been done with the prior system.

My first one was a very good system, and I was very disappointed that it died after a half dozen years. The problem is that the valves in the holding tank go bad, and to replace the valves costs $600 to $800. That was one of the things that slowed me down. So, I started out with being happy with the system when it was installed, then very unhappy when that expensive system died. Aquarius tried to do a good job in saying they'd reduce the price a little bit trying to take care of my problems, but it still was a pile of money considering what I could do somewhere else. I'm happy with it now because I have clear water and ice cubes. I'm also drinking more water than I've had in the past, and my doctor is also happy with that.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We didn’t think our water was soft enough. My wife was seeing spotting under our dishes and glasses, so we got a water softening system from Kinetico. Our friends spoke highly of it. I had researched Kinetico myself a little bit and even though they're quite spendy, it seemed like they're efficient in their use of salt in their back flashing process and they're probably the most efficient on the market. With them, it seems you're getting what you were buying. You were getting a good product.

It was easy to get an appointment to have them come out. And the rep that I talked to was very professional and very accommodating in setting it at the time we wanted and when we wanted. And the gentleman that called on us was really courteous. Salespeople are salespeople, but I didn’t think their sales rep was overly aggressive. I also like to call out on their office staff for following up very nicely. I had a couple of calls from a lady in the office to make sure after the installation that everything went well and we were satisfied with everything.

We had a lot of interaction with their installers because, initially, they didn’t want to install it the way we wanted to have it installed. Because we have a sprinkler system for our lawn and they wanted to install the system, so that it would include our sprinkler system as well. And we did not want that. And so, they actually had to call back to their boss in order to see if it was okay if they bypass that. But that eventually was cleared up and he did it very expeditiously and at no cost to us. From there the installation went really well and very cleanly after the initial problem with determining exactly how they were going to do it was cleared up. There was one guy initially that started the installation and he went about it in a very workmanlike manner and was moving along really well. And then, another gentleman showed up and helped him finish off the job. They did very good work.

Now our water is softer. It's working the way they said it would and the way it regenerates when it needs to. It doesn’t waste water by regenerating when it doesn’t have to. I like that option and I think my wife is really happy with her softer water and we're enjoying it. I would highly recommend Kinetico if they can get over the sticker shock of it because it's an expensive choice. I would not have bothered, but I think it's an effective process. And in the long term, it's very cost-effective.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We just purchased a home and we were concerned about the plumbing and the longevity, and we understand that water plays a role in a lot of things in life so we wanted to get the best system. We like Kinetico's pricing and availability, plus the friendliness and concern that their reps have. Even until today they are still calling and wondering how we’re enjoying the system. We got a water softener and a drinking system for the sink, and they were installed within three hours. We’re drinking better water now and it's silky and rich. We also like to clean our cars with it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I was concerned about the water that the City of Roseville has and if it was safe to drink. I’ve always had a water softener and I was looking at Fleck because I had a Fleck at my old house. But I had been wanting to install Kinetico for a long time and my friend recommended it. I got a water softener and a purified water drinking system and I like the service where they deliver this all and they can put it in for me. And I only have to replace once a year. Everything went smoothly and was done pretty fast. I’m happy with the results. My dishes are coming out very clean and the water tastes good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We weren’t satisfied with our old system and it needed to be replaced. I'm very familiar with Kinetico, and we purchased a water softening system and a drinking water system from them. We wanted to improve our water here at the house, and we felt the most confident in this product. The rep was very professional and friendly. Also, the installer was very good. I brought him into the house, showed him the area and he did his work. He gave me a thorough explanation of what he did when he was done. We could immediately tell the difference. I can tell the difference when I'm washing dishes that the water is always soft. We have a lot of manganese in our water here, so we're eliminating that problem. I'm very happy with the product and I'd recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We bought a cabin on a lake with very sludgy, dark water per our third-party inspector. We’re only 40 feet deep and we felt like we’re getting a lot of tap water. It smelled like sulfur but they said it wasn't. We joined forces with Kinetico to get a system to filter the water. Our inspector from Wisconsin area recommended them as somebody who fixes that water situation. We bought a water filtration that hits the entire house, all the pipes and appliances. Then we bought a secondary unit just for the sink.

The person in Minneapolis was professional and guided us along but the guy in the area is indicative of the culture in that area, too cabin-y. People work when the hunting and the fishing are not good and it was reflected in that. But I’m used to dealing with people like that. It was not a big deal. When they came, what they wanted to do didn’t make sense though. They wanted to take up my whole under the kitchen sink in a little cabin like that down while we put it over here. But he totally blocked in our water heater.

The next weekend, we had water heater and my husband brought that up. He couldn't get the water heater out. Then the water heater had problems with Kinetico in front so we put band-aid on the water heater. But when we have to replace the water heater, I’m not sure Kinetico is going to come out and move their entire unit. They’re independent and they didn’t want to partner in the whole thing. We spent $6,000 on the unit so I hope we weren’t taken for a ride. When they left, my husband and I bought these filters and the salt. We asked him what we have to do three times but we still don’t know. So in that part, they were really poor.

But the water is fantastic. During the inspection, the guy ran the hot water for 45 minutes and the place just reeked. The system took the smell out and everything is good. I can’t wait to drive up to Wisconsin and drink tons of water right out of that little spigot on the sink. It’s better than bottled, although I could have gotten a lot of bottled water cheaper. I paid a lot for that. That little unit is working hard though. They have a great product, but poor people.

Hi Patti,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your experience with your Kinetico product and dealer. We appreciate the opportunity to improve our service.

We understand that the installation concerns are resolved. We appreciate the opportunity to re-earn your trust.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Kinetico had the most stars in the ratings as I researched it and they had better reviews, too. Setting up an appointment with them was seamless, and they came within a week. Their sales representatives were timely and they followed up. And the installers were knowledgeable and they did their job. They also did a water test for free before and after the installation of our system to prove that it solved the problem. I got a Kinetico 4040 water softener installed and it cured our water problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My fiancé had Kinetico before and since I had iron in the water, I purchased a water system. Setting up the appointment went well and I took advantage of the free water test. The installer was great to work with. He answered questions that we had in a timely manner, and got everything taken care of and working properly. It's a great product and it definitely helps with the water.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We had a very poor quality of water and my friends got trustworthy experience with water softeners so we got some including a drinking water filter. We got it from Kinetico because of their customer testimony and I was satisfied with the way they set up the appointment. It went very well. They just tested the water and set up a date. Our water is not brown anymore. Our drinking water tastes good and I don't have to deal with the water softener. The water is clear. I'm happy. It's only quite unfortunate that it's 20 times the price of any big boss competitor and I don't think just anybody could afford it. But I would still recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We had some mineral buildup in some of our plumbing fixtures so we purchased Kinetico water softener based on the recommendation of the folks at Martin's. Their reps were very professional. They were on time, very thorough and very pleasant. I couldn’t ask for a better support. It wasn’t a hard sell. They did a water test when they were here. They took a water sample and put their chemicals in it, and they had the result. I had gotten quotes from other dealers with different brands and Kinetico did the job. It used less salt than the others, so we went that way. Their installer did a really good job. I was there when he was installing it and he was explaining as he goes and he cleaned up after. Since then, there has been a noticeable difference. We live up in a little rural area with well water and there's a different feel to the water. Kinetico is reliable and it works. I would recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have friends that have had Kinetico Water Systems and they loved it. Two months ago, we got a filtration system for our home from them and we love it. I had rusty water and now I can drink the water. It was a good experience. I recommend you get one. It's wonderful.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I got a water softener and water treatment system from Kinetico as my old one went bad. I called the rep and they came out, told me about it and I bought it, then they installed it. They were good to deal with. I can drink the water now using their system.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had a water system from Kinetico in my old house which I bought twenty years ago. The one I had wasn’t up to my standards so I reached out to them again and bought two systems. Setting an appointment with them was easier now than the last one. Their rep, Amy, did fine. She came out and did something with the water. And, the installation was good. We had a few minor difficulties though. With the first system, there was a water leak in the right tank, and the second one, there’s a water leak in the filter. But they were able to take care of them. Basically, I wanted soft water and we achieved the goal. I have already recommended them and I would tell my friends to buy one too.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Mike arrived at 9:55am for a scheduled 10:00am appointment, so he got off to a perfect start! He had a number of old pieces to take out and several new pieces to install but he was efficient and finished just about exactly the time he thought he would. He was very friendly and professional, explaining what he would be doing before he got started, and then what maintenance is required after he was done. He got a little help from another employee named Matt whose last name I didn't catch, who was also very pleasant and helpful. I couldn't be happier so far with our new filtration system or the Aquarius Home Services employees who put it in. Service with a smile!

Kinetico Company Information