4.6/5 (270 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I purchased a Kinetico water softener for the whole house as there was too much salt in the old water. We got it in September and we're happy with it so far. It doesn't use electricity and it doesn't use nearly as much salt as the old system. We had to have the technicians come out here about four times because the system kept seeping and running, but they got it straightened out. I also change the filter a lot but it doesn't seem to be getting better. The filters are awfully expensive and Kinetico has a monopoly on it, which isn't right. If this continues, I'll get a different system. But the people were great and the quality of the water is way better now.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We had murky water with iron contents in it. I called Kinetico and setting up an appointment was quick and easy. Their rep was very informative and she did a water test for us, and it showed that the water needed to be cleaned and filtered. I purchased Kinetico's softener and so far, we are happy customers. We have clean and good quality water to drink, there's no smell or bad taste, and there is no iron content that is visible anymore.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We've had Kinetico for 20 years in various houses we've lived in. We built a new house 15 years ago, then we built the house we're in now about four years ago. My grandson bought a house with no softener, then my daughter just has a new house, and she put one in. We live out in the country, and the water is very hard. We called Kinetico and the guy came out, did the water test, knew what we wanted, and he set it up. We have his cell phone number after all these years. Then the installation team was on time, they were polite, they did their job and they cleaned up. The water is softer and drinking water is good. There's a lot of farming around here, so I would always worry about these chemicals and stuff. Also, there are no rusts, stains or anything in the laundry.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Love my Kinetico whole home water softener. I purchased the 4040 in October of 2016 and I hardly have to add salt. I have soft water 100% of the time, which is so nice when having a full house. I also purchased the K5 and absolutely LOVE my drinking water! It taste like NOTHING, which good water should taste like nothing! I have friends who come over and want to fill up their bottles so they can take home my water. I will be a lifetime Kinetico customer for sure! LOVE everything about Kinetico. Would highly recommend to EVERYONE!

Kinetico response

Great news, Brittney! Thanks for sharing!

Original review: March 27, 2018

We had calcium build-up in the pipes in our new house. Our neighbors next door bought Kinetico Water System so we got Kinetico water softener too. It was a referral. We just called them and their rep came out. However, I was upset because they came in with this bottled water and they basically sell you on the system for softening your water. But they are not really upfront that your water is not gonna taste like the bottled water unless you spend another $2,500 and put in the osmosis system. We ended up putting in the system and the water still tasted terrible. They said, “You can’t do anything about that unless you do this.” I won’t refer Kinetico to anybody because of that.

The product works but it needs recharging. They said that we would only have to change the salt four times a year. And then we ran into a problem but their service people were very prompt. They came and they addressed the issues. But the serviceman said, “You’re going to need to do the salt every six weeks based on the consumption that you’re looking at.” But nobody told us that. And as soon as the system gets low, then the mold, mildew, and calcium start up all over. So compared to our old system, this one is cumbersome and definitely not a bang for your buck.

Hi Connie,

Thank you for this information. The company from which you made your purchase is under new ownership. We have shared your information with them and encourage you to talk to them with suggestions for improvement.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The Kinetico Water Softener sounded like the best one for the type of water we had. The rep that came over talked to us about it provided all the answers for us and showed us what the difference in our water would be. Dealing with their reps from the day he came over and a few afterward were all very positive. There were several advantages of the product. It had a hands-free operation that worked for us and our water feels and tastes better. It’s everything I wanted and I’ve recommended them to people.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I've known about Kinetico for years. The reps were very thorough and very friendly, and the free water test went great. I got a water softener from them and this one is completely different than our other one. This has three filters, while our other one had two. We had to change the other one's filters constantly. We don't need to do that for the new one. We can go for three months.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I wanted a market leader and the key features that distinguished Kinetico Water Systems from the others was the technology behind it. I made a bit of research and I know a bit the way it works. I liked the idea that it was not powered by electricity and I wanted that. It was more expensive but I thought in the long run it would be better.

Nick came to our home and gave me an overview. Looking at the family side, he gave me an idea of what kind of system I would be interested in. He made an effort to explain everything but I had gone through some of the specs on my own and I was already convinced before getting in touch with him. I purchased the water softener and a purifier, and the installer was great. He came in and made a very quick and neat installation. It only took a couple of hours to do all of them.

Right now, the purifier sits in the basement. It’s not under the sink and if Kinetico could add a wireless notification that tells us whether we need to change cartridges of salt, that would be great. There’s a couple of companies that actually do that. It’s a very useful thing because I hate going to the basement every now and then to check. And it’s pretty unpredictable. I ran out of salt a couple of times just because of the hassle of going in the basement to check it out. Also, I knew there was a premium for Kinetico and I was willing to pay that. It’s still high quality. But it’s a big premium and I had some serious thoughts whether it was worth going with it or not. If they could lower the price just a bit, there will be no competition for me. It would be a no-brainer.

Still, I would definitely recommend Kinetico to a friend. I've noticed a big difference in the drinking water because of the purifier. I have a cartridge for adding some salts for taste and the water is great to drink. From the softener, I noticed the difference when I ran out of salt which happened a couple of times. In the dishwasher, there were some stains from hard water.

Original review: March 26, 2018

We installed our Kinetico water system in a new building. The product also came with so many filters. I had good interactions with their staff, and they were great to work with. They came back several times and checked on things when we were concerned, and they explained things really well. It is an expensive procedure, but it really is helpful when the staff thoroughly goes over everything. They are very attentive and have offered that if we have future questions. They are just saying, "Stop by anytime or call whatever you need to do. Just make sure that we get your information", so that is nice to know. Bonnie was our rep and she was wonderful, too.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I researched for water filtration systems because I live on Lake Erie and then I liked Kinetico's price. Setting up my appointment was easy and the representative was very informative. The installation was done in one day and it went smooth. The water we use from their system is night and day compared to the water we get from the city. Buying a water filtration system from Kinetico is the best idea I’ve had so far.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I upgraded the Kinetico water softener I already had because they were offering a deal on an upgrade and I was allowed to trade it in. Someone came out and our interaction was very good. It took them a little while to get it adjusted but the installation team was fine.

Kinetico response

Hi Ken, Thanks for taking advantage of the trade in program. Wishing you years of great water!

Original review: March 25, 2018

We just built a new house and we knew our water was hard. I had Kinetico products before so I got from them an RO and softener. It was a very good experience overall with Kinetico, from setting up appointments to the salesman that came to our house. Then the installation team was very courteous and kind. They cleaned up after themselves and did an excellent job. Since having Kinetico, we could feel the difference when we get out of the shower. We're very satisfied with them.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for making Kinetico your continued choice for water treatment.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I'm on a well and the water is horrible. I talked over things with a couple of my neighbors and went from there. I then bought a whole house reverse osmosis system from Kinetico, which is the company they recommended. The rep I dealt with lives close by and I ran into him two weeks ago. He has since switched territories with another member of the company and they are both very good. The filters need to be changed every six months, and I do it. It is incredibly easy for anyone -- you turn a switch, a quarter turn, and then you unscrew the filter housing, pull it out, clean it, and then put a new one in. It is a five-minute task and chore. Since using Kinetico, our water has been better than drinking Fiji Water.

Also, they offer other services outside of just the water system in my house. We even have this stuff for a shock in my well and they are kind enough to go over to my neighbors adjacent to me that really did not understand their water system. They explained it to them, and they also purchased some of the equipment. So, they went the extra step to take care of them. They do good work, and they are professional. They actually use the system here in my house as a model for other people that have gotten or requested the whole house RO because I designed out an area to build it out in where it looks like a small water treatment facility. Their salesman uses our house as a test case for others.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Kinetico has a great reputation and my company used to make parts for them, so I knew they were good. I also have a friend that has put many filtration systems in on Kelleys Island and he swears by them. John, the sales guy that came out, was great. He was very knowledgeable and he wasn’t real pushy. They also did a free water test. I got their topnotch unit, and the guy that came in and installed it was here for five or six hours. He went through how to change the filters and how to shut it down. He took all the old stuff too, so that was nice. Now the difference in our water is night and day. Everything went smooth and Kinetico was phenomenal to work with. They're a little pricey, but that’s what you get when you get a good system.

Original review: March 24, 2018

We have well water at our house and my husband knew I bought bottled water so he didn’t want me to have to. We needed to get our water cleaned and we knew what we were getting. The Kinetico representative just reiterated all the stuff about it. Before we had Kinetico, my hair always felt like straw. We had a softener before but it still didn’t do it for me. I could always tell when our water was going bad. My hair was bad although it wasn’t as bad as some well water does to people’s hair. But we like what we have in our house now and we would recommend Kinetico. We have both the Kinetico water softener and the drinking water systems. Somebody came back to check it to make sure that it passed all the tests of doing what it was supposed to. I also had somebody come back separately and do the mineral test.

Original review: March 24, 2018

We always had a water softener and our old one conked out. We had Kinetico when we lived out in Washington, so we went back to them for a water softener and reverse osmosis. It had been about a year since they came out and installed it and they were great. The young kid, who apparently was a licensed plumber, made it out here during a snow storm and had the products installed. I bought a bronze fixture, but it came with a chrome fixture. When I asked the installer if he would put the bronze fixture, he said no, so my husband put it in. Other than that, We got soft water again and I just loved the reverse osmosis. Also, their product saves salt and recycles it. I was a little grumpy about the installer, but we had always recommended Kinetico.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Our company got a Kinetico unit a long time ago so I decided to use their water treatment system based from my experience. Their reps and installers have been very responsive, helpful and friendly. They came out to my house when necessary. We have a well so I wanted to use the chlorine so we didn’t have to deal with shocking the well all the time and then the filtration just to get clean pure tap water from the sink. I just wanted to have clean water. So I got the unit that filters the water. I also got the one that maintains the filtration for the basement. It puts the water in a chlorine tank to sanitize the water. Since having them, our water has been really good.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My wife and I recently moved from Ohio to Florida. In Ohio we had a reverse osmosis system and preferred it to bottle water. So after tasting Florida water we noticed a not very pleasing after taste. So after speaking with another company we contacted Kinetico in Venice, Fl. The office staff were very nice and scheduled an appointment with Rick ** who came to the house and explained the Kinetico water system. He was very thorough with explaining the water system. He was able to schedule the installation on the following Sunday. Since the installation there is no more after taste and the water is very refreshing. Our skin is much softer. The office staff has even called and checked to see how everything has been since installation. The young man who installed the system was very pleasant and kept everything clean as he drilled through the granite countertop. My wife and I are very satisfied with the system and all the staff couldn't be any nicer.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Our well has terrible iron and we had red stains. We looked into Kinetico and Luminous Water and they had good reputations. So went ahead and got a whole house water softener unit. Our salesman was fantastic and he did a presentation and few water testing. It was also pretty simple to set up the appointment. They worked to our schedule when we'd be home for the most part. And it was pretty painless, other than just the cost. The installers were here for a few hours and it was pretty flawless. They showed us how to do everything and service it. It's been very nice. We've had Kinetico for two years now and it's kind of maintenance-free. We just monitor the salt levels and put some iron conditioner in the salt. It flushes itself and it has a resin tank. It takes care of itself. Overall, it's well worth the price, especially if you have water as bad as we did.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Four years ago ago, I purchased the water softener and the purified water through RO from Kinetico. My previous system was on its last leg and the way that Kinetico's system was no power was cool. It worked really well too. I liked the two-tank and I got four tanks so it's always making sure we have plenty of soft water. We went from really hard water to soft, plus the water is a lot softer now compared to when we had our other softener. My experience with Kinetico was all positive as well, especially with the RO people. They were very willing to help me do whatever I needed to do. The maintenance is easy too. All I do is put that chemical in it every six months. And the system is very cost-effective in the long run.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My water was bad and it stinks. I saw Kinetico Water Systems driving by it and I set up an appointment with them. The appointment setter has a good demeanor. My neighbors also had Kinetico and I got to like them, too. The Kinetico team came in and they did a good job on the installation of the water softener. Now, my water is 120% better.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We had high calcium water and Kinetico was in Home Depot one day when we were in there. They came to the house, tested the water and said what they could do to fix it. I had the two main tanks and the reverse osmosis filter. The installer carried them all down the cellar and I talked to him while he was putting it together. He explained how to change the filters when they were due. Once we had the system installed, the clothes were cleaner. We had them back in though. The problem was that we have sediment in our hot water tank but as soon as I get that all flushed out, which could take a couple of weeks, the whites ought to be white.

Original review: March 22, 2018

The realtor set me up with Kinetico when I was buying a house and needed to get a water system to pass inspection. I didn’t purchase the house until everything was good so it was already done before I got in there and it quit on me within two weeks that I was in the house. The rep explained a little bit to me because whoever put them in actually put them in backwards and then it clogged up. So, he switched them and put a new one in for me and then said I had to change them every year and it’s been good so far.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Setting up the appointment with Kinetico was very good. I talked to them and we set up a time. I had a guy come right out and do all the tests and sit down, and he explained everything to me. Everything went smooth with the installation. They’ve continued to this day sending me emails if they have specials or sales. The staff was all friendly and I love the fact that they put on a little picnic barbecue there this year. It was a very great idea. And you could go in and win prices, so that was really awesome.

I live out in the country and the well-water wasn’t too bad here. But I figured it would be a good idea to at least get the K5 system. And I just bought the house a couple of years ago and the hot water tank was starting to rust out. I thought it would be a good incentive and it would be a good selling factor when I sell the home. I bought the water softener package with the K5 drinking station.

I like the fact that it was not electrical. And everything works on the timer-type basis. When I thought I was having trouble with it, I called them up. They came out, looked it over, tore it apart, and said, “No, everything seems fine.” I’m happy with their service and installation. And before I had the system, the water drinking system, every month and a half, the clean light of my coffeepot would come on, “Clean the coffeepot.” Now, since I have the K5 system, it never needs cleaned. I also have that set up for my icing water in my refrigerator. I noticed a big difference. It definitely makes a difference as far as like washing clothes. In having the water softener filtration system, I don't get rusts in the toilets anymore, limescale build-up, so it keeps pipes clean. The only drawback I personally saw was it was costly. But it does work and it is a good system.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We got a drinking water system from Kinetico and the experience with them was great. We had moved in here a little over three years ago and the water was disgusting. A friend's uncle worked for Kinetico years ago and she told me that I need to get an RO System. I was like, “What’s that?” Then she was like, “Just call Kinetico Water” and that’s what we did. We called them and they were out here the next day checking our water. They tested it and they said it was bad. The representative had his little science kit and he set it up, then tested everything. He did a teabag test with us. He was very friendly and nice.

Before we got the water system we were buying gallons of water and bottled water for the first six months that we lived here. I wouldn’t even make coffee with the water here and it’s very expensive to purchase water. I’ve had a couple of people ask about Culligan and we tell them to go with Kinetico because they’re very friendly. And now a lot of people in our neighborhood keep putting on the neighborhood Facebook site about it and we’ve referred a couple of people and they’ve gotten a house system.

Kinetico response

Wow Tracy! This is great to read! A neighborhood facebook page is wonderful idea. Be certain to stay informed on what is happening in the world of water and keeping your neighbors aware.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My in-laws researched the Kinetico Water Systems and put one in their house. And they decided to buy us one for Christmas because our water softener was old and cheap. It worked but it wasn't nearly as good as the water softener from Kinetico. It works automatically and it's a passive system. We just have to check the salt and throw it in. There are no mechanical parts to it and it can't really break. It's easy to use.

With our water softener, my skin is much softer especially in the winter where I have very dry skin. I went to the pool last week and I noticed that the pool water was generally pretty soft but it was not nearly soft as our water. After getting out of the shower, my skin was really dry and I realized it was because of the water. The water I drink and cook with is through reverse osmosis that we in our kitchen. The cleaning is better with our water. I don't have to use quite as much soap in the laundry and my dishes come out nice.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We purchased this system on Dec 15, 2017 to protect our new appliances and faucets. 3 months later, it still doesn't work. We have been making payments for something that doesn't work. They have sent out multiple techs, multiple times and can't seem to fix it. Now, we have to have our appliances serviced due to hard water and our faucets replaced, all the while being "assured" that the problem will be resolved. At this point, we just want our money back so we can get a different company out to install a different brand that works.

Terry,

We are sorry to hear your experience is not what any of us expect. We appreciate this feed back and the opportunity it gives us to assist.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We had a strong sulfur smell in our water and it was hard. And we had a softener when we bought this place and it didn't cut the mustard. I looked online at different places and Kinetico was one of the first places that I called. Setting it up was pretty easy. It wasn't a week before they came out, did the water test and gave me all the different options I had. I called the next day and it wasn’t very long after that before they came and set it up. The installation guy came out, was pretty informative about exactly what we were going to need and told me all the different things about the different systems. He was friendly and helpful. We got a Luminous Water System and it’s absolutely way better quality water. I don’t smell any sulfur in the water and the water softener works just fine. It doesn’t use very much salt. We're pretty happy with Kinetico and my wife has recommended them on Facebook.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had an existing water system, but I wasn't satisfied with it. I saw Kinetico Water Systems at a home and garden show and because of their good reputation as well as how their salesman explained how the system works, I purchased a water softener from them. Setting up an appointment with them was easy and their rep who came out was excellent. He was very smooth, very thorough, and he knew the business very well

The installers were also very good but there was only one slight problem. I had a two-inch water line and my agreement with the salesman was that I wanted to increase the size back to the correct water pipe size. But the installers installed the wrong pipe. So they eventually came back out within a month to correct it, which was very good. Since then, my water has been excellent. I now have the double tank system versus the single tank system. My experience with them was very good and at the moment, I'm considering another Kinetico purchase.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The water system I had didn't work and a customer of mine was telling me about Kinetico Water Systems. I called them up and made an appointment for my brother, my sister-in-law, my mom and my dad. Their rep was very informative and he explained the water system itself and how it filters things out. We also had their water test and their rep was very thorough with it. The installers were both great too. They went over everything with me. They removed everything and they showed me how to use the Iron Out stuff and how to change my filter. There was water on the floor from the old system but that was easy for me to clean up. I've had Kinetico for less than a year but we've been happy with the system. The water doesn't have an odor to it like mine did before. I can also tell the difference with the shower. I would recommend Kinetico. We have done a home show and encouraged people that were looking at it and told them that we like the system.

Kinetico Company Information