4.6/5 (256 ratings)

About Kinetico

Founded in 1970, Kinetico produces efficient, built-to-last water softener and reverse osmosis systems for your home. Kinetico’s water treatment systems are non-electric, low-maintenance and fully automatic. Water treatment systems can extend the life of your plumbing, appliances and clothes as well as improve water taste and quality. The company offers three water softeners and water drinking filtration systems. Customers can find Kinetico water treatment systems through local specialist partners, but the company does not sell directly to consumers.

Pros

• Improves water taste and quality
  • Durable
  • Non-electric, powered by water
  • Three softener types

Cons

• Must buy from local partners
  • No upfront prices

Bottom Line

Kinetico produces non-electric water softeners and filtration systems built for efficiency and durability. The company sells three softener series that range from $500 to $5,000 and include warranties.

Top Kinetico Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was convinced by my family member that Kinetico will be the best system to get. Setting up an appointment was fine and easy… I got a water filtration and softener product. The i...

Verified

The house that we bought already had the Kinetico softener system in it… The installation was excellent… After we replaced that tank, our well pump died. So we had them out there ...

How does a Kinetico water softener work?

Kinetico water softeners are salt-based and completely powered by moving water. These products help remove calcium and magnesium from your local tap water. Kinetico works with factory-certified, local specialists that offer consultation appointments and a free water test. These local dealers also handle the installation process.

Kinetico does not list prices on its website — you must contact a local retailer. The company sells three softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series and Premium Series. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 soft water. Speak with your local specialist to determine the best softener for your home, budget and lifestyle.

Kinetico also sells water filtration systems, including reverse osmosis systems. These products are designed to ensure your water is safe to drink while removing bad smells and taste.

How much does a Kinetico water softener cost?

Kinetico offers three water softener series at three different price points, typically ranging from $500 to $5,000. The Essential Series is its most affordable model and offers limited water softening services. The Signature and Premium series offer 24/7 water softening and can handle harder water, higher capacity and other functions.

Exact prices are not available on the company’s website and are determined by local, third-party Kinetico dealers. Specialists offer in-home consultations and can provide a free water test to determine which water softener is right for your home and budget. Kinetico specialists are trained and perform installation services.

Kinetico FAQ

How long does a Kinetico water softener last?
Water softeners typically last between 10 and 15 years. Due to Kinetico’s higher quality, your water softener’s life span could extend to 20 or more years.
Do Kinetico water softeners need maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are made to be low maintenance and use a non-electric design. Water softeners require new salt to be added periodically.
What kind of salt does the Kinetic water softener use?
Kinetico water softeners use evaporated salt, which can be bought in the form of pellets, cubes or blocks. Evaporated salt is the purest type of sodium chloride (table salt). Avoid using lesser-grade salts or rock salt because foreign particles can lead to maintenance and service issues.
Do Kinetico water softeners have a warranty?
Yes, Kinetico water softeners have product-specific warranties if they are installed by a Kinetico specialist. Warranties stay with the water softener and transfer to the next owner of your house.

Are Kinetico water softeners worth the money?

Kinetico water softeners are non-electric, built to last and made for efficiency. Kinetico softeners can use 70% less salt than other brands. The company partners with local specialists, which can make it difficult to determine the price of the softener and installation. If you’re looking for a high-quality, low-maintenance water softener or filtration system, however, Kinetico is a strong option.

Kinetico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetico?

Original review: July 27, 2021

My wife and I needed a whole house water softener. We contacted Owens Water in Traverse City, MI after an exhaustive search. I've worked with softeners and demineralizers as a Marine Engineer. Tom ** came to our house and tested our water. No surprise that our water was hard and contained iron. Tom recommended the Kinetico 2060 non-electric softener. We ordered package #22 along with 2 extra filters and 3 extra 50lb bags of salt. 2 days later, Owens Water from Clare, MI arrived with our equipment. The technician was very professional and worked fast. He answered all my questions and went over routine maintenance of the softener, things to look out for, and basic troubleshooting steps to take if a problem came up.

The softener is working perfectly with significant improvement in our water quality. We use less detergent in our laundry washer, less soap & shampoo in the shower, no more mineral rings in our toilet bowls and iron deposits, no more residue on the shower heads, no more clogged aerators at the faucets, and no more mineral deposits on our dishes from the dishwasher.

The softener does not utilize electricity to operate and regenerate. This softener is a very high-end system I fully expect to give us many years of faithful, problem-free service. The Kinetico system's footprint is slightly larger than a comparable Culligan system or one of those softener systems you'll find in home supply stores but the Kinetico system is a well engineered, robust, and more efficient system with a larger softening capacity. The Kinetico has a built-in bypass that allows for uninterrupted water service during filter replacement and the regeneration cycle uses soft water to regenerate, keeping the ion exchange resin & filter media cleaner and on line longer. That's a big plus. The ion exchange tanks are constructed of non-corrosive materials with bond-strand resin shells.

This system came with a ten year warranty. The only issue is parts & supply availability. Proprietary filters and recommended salt are a little on the expensive side and not always available. "Sorry, we just sold our last one." "Sorry, the items you need are on backorder." "Sorry, the shipment has been delayed.". I live in a rural area and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles travel round trip so I like to keep a few extra essentials, like filters and salt, on hand at the house just in case something's unavailable when I need them. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with our Kinetico water softening system and I heartily recommend Kinetico to anyone looking to improve their water quality.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I worked for the water plant at the time. I knew what was left in the water and I didn't wanna drink it. Because all the water plant does is take the dirt out of the water, and then chlorinate it to kill any bacteria. It doesn't take any of the dissolved stuff out of the water, chemicals and stuff like that. We live in Louisiana. We get our water from the Mississippi, which is the toilet bowl of America. Everybody and their cousin abuses the Mississippi River, so I didn't want it to be ingested in my family's bodies. And working for waterworks, I realized that. That's why I started selling Kinetico.

Setting up the system and installing it was easy outside. I was a little disappointed on the inside installation, going from under the counter to my refrigerator. The tech drilled holes through my cabinet and past the hose, the PVC tubing, too close to one of the drawers in the cabinet and it pinched it and it kept having leaks. I could hear the pressure tank filling up constantly and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I remodeled my kitchen that I found it, and that upset me, that I had water damage from the installation.

But after I put in new cabinets and fixed the floors, I ran the PVC tubing through a conduit. That way, the tubing couldn't get damaged at the back of the cabinet. So, that was a plus. It was sort of an extra protection because anything in the cabinet could cut the tubing. And by putting it inside of a piece of conduit, PVC pipe, just something small enough to pass it through to give it extra protection, that I wouldn't have to replace floors again or cabinets.

Everybody in Louisiana that pulls water from the Mississipi ought to have something because there's just so much chemical dumps in the river. It's not healthy for the body. We use it for coffee and our sleep apnea machines. And there's never any build-up, crust or sediment inside the machines. I don't have scale build-up on it and that's nice. And when I order new filters, I usually get two, one to change at that time and one I can change later on. And that way, Kinetico doesn't have to come out and do it. Less hassle for them. You get two brain cells to rub together, it's not that hard to do it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had reviewed at least three systems and we had the demos performed at home. The main driver for landing on Kinetico would be three things. One is there is no requirement for electricity so it operates on its own. Two is the amount of water it takes to recycle itself is very small compared to other units. Three is the warranty. The others got five years limited warranty whereas Fred, the local franchise owner, told me that Kinetico carries about 10-year warranty which is something that was really enticing.

I got a concern about that warranty piece though. When they installed the under kitchen cabinet unit, it seems there was wrong installation so there was a break on the unit. It started dripping water. It took about a couple of years before the problem could surface. When we complained, they came and replaced the unit but I had to pay almost 300 bucks covering the labor cost. When they agreed that the installation itself was too tight that led to the breaking of the product, I don't know why I should be paying for the labor cost. If it is a product issue, I get it. But even if it is an installation issue, either Kinetico or the local franchise owner should have absorbed that because it's not my fault. They confirmed they didn't see any usage issue that led to the problem and they didn't see any manufacturing defect.

Kinetico could hold their local dealers accountable. I did reach out to Kinetico about this and they raised their hand saying that I needed to go talk to the local franchise. I went for this thinking that it's Kinetico that I trust more than the local franchise agents or the owners but that's where they let me down.

Kinetico response

Hello Shree,

We thank you for appreciating the merits of the Kinetico product line. Here's wishing you many years of great water!

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I wanted a water softener but not some of the ones online that claim that they could run electricity through the wire and some magic would happen. The reviews that I read said that those were sketchy at best and showed that being electrical, they had a little CPU board and that board tended to be what would go out. Then, it was almost like buying a whole another unit just to replace that one board. Kinetico had a simple water softener system. People seemed to know what they were talking about when they came out here and aside from fitting into the space that I had, it didn't require any power, which was the main reason why I chose it.

Kinetico is all mechanical. It’s just how much water runs through the unit and it automatically does it. We had an incident in my city where the underground water was contaminated with PVCs. Kinetico was the only one who could filter that out. They had a reverse osmosis plus a special filter to filter those out, plus another filter to add back in some minerals. That convinced me because at that time, my grandchild was living with me. I have bottled water service deliver water for drinking but for all our cooking needs such as boiling spaghetti and making his milk, we use that water. We also use it for making espressos in the morning. The system is quiet and the installation was professional. So, I have no concerns or complaints about what they've done.

We’ve been using the water softener for closer to five years because at one time, I was renting it and then I decided to buy it. Then it has been at least two years with the reverse osmosis system with all these filters. I have not had to replace a filter yet. It's got a little indicator and then, I'm supposed to contact them and pay them $75 per filter. The last time I looked, it was only halfway to being time for it to replace its filters. I assume that one day, the unit will cease to work and then I'll have to contact Kinetico. They're expensive but they work. They do what they say and I have not had a single issue.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2020

Problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We have a big environmental problem down here. For 30 years, the Air Force has been dumping their firefighting solution that they train with into the water system. A lot of people down here were catching cancer and different types of things. Pets were dying of cancer left and right. We were not to drink the water. If we did, we should get a reverse osmosis system. I went through the phone book and looked for a water system. I knew I didn't wanna go with Culligan so I was trying to find someone else to go with. I found Kinetico. I researched them online and they had some really good reviews.

Kinetico worked well. We had peace of mind knowing that we were not drinking something that was gonna cause us cancer. That was satisfying. Plus, our water tastes so bad that the reverse osmosis made it taste a lot better. The customer service was really good and I liked them. But we only had Kinetico for two years then we installed a different one. Kinetico is too expensive. It's okay for people that make 60,000 a year. But when you're living on social security, you can't afford the prices for the filters. It's $500 for them. After that first year, I was said that the next time the filters came, we would get them but we were gonna look at getting a system that didn't cost a lot and the yearly maintenance on it wouldn't be so pricey. Also, we couldn't rely on the guys that would come out to do the filters for Kinetico to be there the day or the time they said they would be.

Another thing is things didn't go as the rep told me. He told me one thing and the price was another thing. I was not told that I had to pay for this and this. The system ended up costing me a fortune. The water system I got now works just as good. When I changed over to this one, there wasn’t any change in the water flavor. I took a reading with the Kinetico system then when I put the new system in and the ratings were the same.

Kinetico response

Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review.

We are glad to know that your water concerns have been resolved.

Kinetico Customer Support

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Our old system had more pieces to replace. We now don't have as many to replace and they last longer. In the first house, the system made a huge difference because the water was terrible. This water isn't as bad, but I could tell the difference, especially if I would make coffee or tea with it. Call Kinetico. Don't go to the other guys because they don't work.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I had both the reverse osmosis and the water softener installed and it went very well. It was smooth and took about three hours. The drinking water is much better now. We had very hard water so that problem is solved. I'm very happy that Kinetico doesn't need any electrical outlet although the water consumption is higher. But that was expected. The container for the salt that we pour in is small and it could have been a little bit bigger. Also, I wish changing the filter for the reverse osmosis would be a little bit easier. Every time I try to change it, I'm having a little bit of a tough time, especially with COVID. I don't get someone to come and do the filter changing. So that's tricky. Still, my experience has been very good.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

The Kinetico water system worked out great so far. It took the iron out. We were having iron issues. Now, we have better tasting water. We've had one technician out so far to do some work. We have to change the filter periodically, but he did that when he was here. Customer support has been great. The bags of salt are pretty heavy these days. I can imagine someone who's older than me would have trouble getting the salt in there in the container because those bags are 50 pounds. I’m okay with it but as I get older or if I'm thinking of my elderly parents, they would have trouble handling those bags of salt.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I was put in an immunocompromised situation and one of the things that was required for my situation was to have filtered water. So, my husband did the research, and he thought KInetico was the best system. We have installed them in two different homes and we have been extremely happy with them. Our water tastes much better. In one home, it's rural, and there's a lot of lime in the water and it's not treated maybe as effectively as city water is. So, we feel confident that they take all this stuff out that would be harmful to somebody that's immunocompromised. The other house is in a city location, and the taste is so much better. I just spent 10 days there, and I could hardly pass the tap without taking water.

As far as customer service, I think it is really big. We've used two different dealers in either location, and the customer service was very good. They came out and explained the system, tested the water, did the pros and cons and then they did an installation that was pretty seamless. The thing that people need to look for is the quality of the unit and the customer service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I bought a house that was new to me, and I needed a water system. So, I called Kinetico. In a good way, the system does its thing. My water is what it needs to be. It's soft water. I just monitor the salt levels. I'm a happy customer because I don't have to think about it.

Kinetico Company Information