1.38/5
Based on 157 reviews that contain star ratings

Kenmore Gas Grill

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

View More View More

168 Kenmore Gas Grill Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2016

Purchased a Kenmore stainless steel grill 3 years ago. In ten months, the igniter stopped working and there was a malfunction in the gas hose where leakage occurred and the outside of the hose caught on fire. I was lucky to be outside and turned the gas off immediately. A Sears technician came out to replace the defective parts and could not understand how the leak and fire started. Also - the firebox has completely rusted out. How can the firebox rust/disintegrate when it is completely enclosed in the grill, and never has contact with outside weather rain/etc. This is the most poorly constructed grill I have ever owned and Sears has not stood behind this product. I will never purchase a Kenmore product again.

Original review: July 15, 2016

Two side shelves, utensil hooks. Grills adequately.

Original review: July 15, 2016

$199. Regular accessories. Strong and temperature adaptable. Strong and cost worthy. Long enough. It cooks good. Wonderful.

Original review: July 15, 2016

4 burner with extra burner on the side, stainless steel. It was a gift. I like it. It cooks well but I had an unexpected flare up the other day. Warranty company says it was a grill failure. I have grilled burgers, steaks, ribs and cedar planked fish on this grill. I have used even in the winter and I have been very happy. But since this flare up last week (the cover and front of the grill is now discolored) I am a bit apprehensive to use it.

Original review: July 15, 2016

Sear burner is awesome, as is the rotisserie burner. The rotisserie spit was a challenge to find. Got one at Home Depot finally. My 9-year-old Kenmore grill rusted too badly. The new one is not as sturdy as the old one but it cost 1/3 the price of the old grill. Perfection on low or higher temps, great when grilling multiple items at multiple temperatures, and the sear is great with grilled items or to sear a sous vide steak or chicken breast. I'm the envy of the street.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: July 14, 2016

Grease tray completely rotted out and collapsed after just 2.5 years of service. Had the grill covered when not in use so there's no excuse. Ordered a replacement tray (41100016) and they sent me the wrong part; about 1.5 inches too wide. Adding insult, their shipping department used a box not fitted for the part so they simply bent the tray and tossed it in the box with no packing material to protect it. If I returned the tray for a correct one, Sears said they'd charge shipping (again) which is the same amount as the part. Knowing Sears, they'd probably ship the wrong part again. I took a pair of sheet metal cutters and resized it to fit my grill. I'll never buy another Kenmore grill again!

Original review: July 12, 2016

We have purchased Sears kenmore products for years. Very disappointed with the stainless steel gas grill model 148.16154211 we purchased 2 years ago. The

firebox bottom rotted out. Sears personnel not helpful at all! Question! Not sure ever going to buy Sears again!!!

Original review: July 6, 2016

My Kenmore gas grill model 146.23673310 has been used approximately 40 times. It looks brand new, but the bottom is completely rusted out!!! File this with all of the other complaints that have been given. Another rip off. What's new. So unfair to those of us who saved up to buy a grill made by a reputable company so we could enjoy a good bbq. Geez.

Original review: June 27, 2016

So we bought our Kenmore liquid propane gas grill - model #146.34461410 in June 2014. We kept it covered, had a really nice OSU cover for it. We cleaned it regularly. But guess what? Just like so many other reports I've read on here, the burners started to disintegrate. The bottom metal of the firebox began to rust out and crumble away. How does it rust without being wet?

Thinking we could order replacement parts, we looked online. Couldn't find anything. We were getting ready to grill steaks one night, and realized the whole underside was on fire! (No steaks on it yet, so, no grease to blame!) The raging inferno inside melted the siding on our house, caught my nearby cooler on fire... The bottom of the firebox completely ablaze, fully collapsed at that moment! It landed all over the propane tank! And my deck! My husband burned his hands trying to quickly shut off the propane tank and move it away from the flames. This all happened so fast we barely had time to react.

Never in my life have a seen a grill burn itself up without anything else to catch fire! My parents' grill (of another brand) is nearly 10 years old and looks newer inside than ours did after 1 summer and it has certainly NEVER caught fire like that! So, we called customer service, Sears, claims dept, etc. And for all the extensive damage suffered... They will do NOTHING. Not so much as replace the grill. Let alone my siding, my cooler, my deck, and my husband's injured hands!

They don't care about their customers. They could care less as long they keep bringing in money. Well, please be sure to share this far and wide so other people don't have to suffer from their negligence! Their products are defective, they clearly KNOW it, and yet they refuse to do ANYTHING about it. They place unjustified blame on customers to try to cover their own butts! For such a "reputable" company, I am completely appalled at their complete lack of care for their customers. Lawsuit anyone?

Original review: June 22, 2016

The firebox of my Kenmore 3 burner propane gas grill disintegrated after only two summer seasons. Model 146.23673310 was purchased on 5/28/2013 and the bottom of the firebox was completely rusted through when I opened the grill on 5/30/2016. Five other Kenmore gas grill models experienced this same defect in materials and were provided with a new firebox free of charge. Although my model experienced the same problem and uses the same materials, Sears will not cover the replacement for this model number. After 44 minutes with various Sears representatives starting with phone number 1-800-469-4663, transferring to consumer solutions, and ending with the warranty department, no one offered any replacements, solutions, or compensation. I tried to reconnect with consumer solutions but after 10 minutes of silence I think my call was not transferred to them.

I was told by the complaint department that I could hire a Sears technician for $96 to see the problem. Then the tech would decide whether the part would be covered. If not, then I would have to buy a new firebox and pay for installation. The original $96 would be used toward this cost. I did not want to risk paying more for the replacement than I would for a new grill.

I have been a loyal Kenmore customer for many years. I owned my first grill from 2002-2013. There was never an issue with the firebox. However, in this newer model grill which I purchased in May 2013, it is obvious that there is a defect in materials. The rotting firebox and the resulting hole the size of a softball is a potential danger for fire and explosion since it is the metal separation between the burners and the propane tank. Realizing that I was not going to persuade Sears to bear responsibility for their product I wanted them to assure me that my complaint and model number would stay on file so as others complained they could re-evaluate their policy on replacement. No one would commit to this request. That is why I wrote this ConsumerAffairs report. If you have a similar problem please do the same.

Original review: June 12, 2016

Just like all the other customers who purchased this grill we too experienced the upsetting rust of the grill guts. We purchased this grill and was able to grill on it for only two summers before it rusted out inside. We cleaned it regularly and kept it covered at all times when not in use. The bottom line is this was an expensive grill to have rust out and only last such a short time. Very dissatisfied with the quality.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I purchased a Kenmore grill (model 148.23683310) in May of 2014. At the time of purchase I was asked by the sales associate about purchasing a protection agreement for the grill. This is my 3rd Kenmore grill. The previous 2 did not have protection agreements and rusted out and became unusable. So with that said I asked a very important question to the sales associate. "Does the protection agreement cover rust?" I was told "yes it covers any problems that you have in the time frame of the agreement including rust." With that information I purchased the protection agreement for 3 years. 2 years later (May 2016) after winter I opened my grill to find the entire bottom of the firebox was rusted to dust. Literally there was no piece bigger than the palm of my hand left.

I then went online and did an online chat with Sears to find what part I needed, either the whole firebox or just the bottom part. The person I spoke to on chat was helpful and I double checked with them that my problem of rust was covered and they replied with "yes you are covered but I'm sorry you need to call in to book the service appointment." They gave me the number and I called immediately after. I re-explained everything and asked the same questions, including if rust was covered, and got the same answers and that it was covered. I booked the appointment and a few days later the service guy came to my house, walked out back to the grill, opened it and said "yeah this is not covered under the protection agreement." I explained to him what I was told by everyone else and he protested that it's not covered under the protection agreement but he would take pictures and see what the service department says about it.

15 minutes later he comes back inside and says they will not cover it. The best they can do is give me 20% off the part or transfer my protection agreement to another grill. He then left. I immediately called the protection agreement department back, talked to more than 5 people including the manager, all telling me the same thing, that rust is not covered. The explanation they gave as to why I was told differently in the first place is because they like to get the service guy there to determine if rust is actually the problem... which I think is a insult to the customer and a disclaimer should be said when rust is brought up in the initial request for service.

The manager and a few of the people before him also stated that it was my fault for poor care of the grill and customer neglect was also not covered, which I also found very insulting because I worked in retail and customer service before... you NEVER tell the customer it's their fault. He was very rude to me and wanted to do nothing to help me. Even after explaining to him that this can't be caused by customer neglect unless I purposely corroded the metal, which I did not. He went on to tell me that if I covered my grill this would not have happened and at that point I was so fed up I just ended the conversation and hung up. I then was going to take action and write a review on ConsumerAffairs, but I wanted to do some research first and see how common this problem was.

After a short amount of time I came across a news article about my exact grill and my exact problem. To briefly explain the article, they covered their grill and kept it in mint condition and still experienced the same problem I was having with the firebox bottom rusting out. Also in that article is a quote from a Sears representative saying to call this number and they will replace the firebox for free, parts and service included. I called that number (different from the protection agreement department) and the person who answered was very helpful and ordered the part for me with no charge. I declined to have it installed by a service tech because I did not want to deal with the same service guy I had before. I did however want to talk to the protection agreement people again and find out why I was not informed of this in the first place and why covering the cost of the part was not done to begin with.

After talked to a handful of people in the department who were not helpful and eventually circling back to the original manager I talked to a few days before no compensation or apologies were made. The manager was again rude and just kept stating that the protection agreement does not cover rust. He claimed to not know anything about issue with that model grill and said I would have had to call the manufacturer about the problem. They would be the only ones who would cover the defect, which if you read that article is not true. As you can see that is from NBC news, not some discount or non-reputable news outlet... NBC News.

In the end I am getting the new part (not through the protection agreement) but I am extremely unhappy on how Sears handled this situation. Once I called the 8004myhome number all they needed was the serial number of the grill and they instantly knew it was a problem and helped... the protection agreement people should have done the same thing. They never asked for my serial number. I am very unhappy with them at the moment, which is disappointing because my whole family is loyal to Sears as I was. I have a garage full of craftsman tools, I mean full, power tools, automotive tools, hand tools, woodworking tools, I have 4 TVs from Sears, every appliance I have in my kitchen is from them, clothes, jewelry, you name it I always went to them first to purchase it. I can't say that will be the case anymore after this situation.

Original review: May 31, 2016

Model 146.1613310 - Im so surprised to read all of these bad reviews! I was going online to order new flame covers and bottom tray, which have all rusted out after just two years. I stumbled across this review thread. I thought I was all rusted out because I live near the ocean. I guess not! Seems to be a recurring theme. The outside still looks great, but everything is all rusted out, including the grates, but after seeing how expensive they are, I thought I'd just use foil. I thought buying a Kenmore was buying quality. How disappointing! No wonder Sears is going under! Extremely disappointing.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I totally concur with the other reviewer about Kenmore Gas BBQ. I have been hunting for over three weeks now trying to find somewhere, IN CANADA!!! Because, DARN IT, this is where I live & purchased this top line BBQ from Sears. This darn BBQ Drip Tray, part # 4090029 has been disintegrating for over 6 months & has fallen to pieces. Now, please just find me the darn part IN CANADA so that I can use this BBQ & get on with it. The only way (SO FAR) that I can find this part is Stateside: 1-888-287-0735: 1-800-361-6665. Cost of part: $20.00 (US Dollars); Shipping: $30.00 (US Dollars); Duties & Taxes: "Sorry, we don't know, you will have to wait & see if they charge you..." Seriously? I will definitely think about buying Kenmore again. This is just not worth it. Time to 'scrap' my 2 year old $650.00 Natural Gas BBQ & try someone else's brand.

Original review: May 16, 2016

We bought this new in 2013 and saw the first hole end of fall 2015. When we went to take a look a few weeks ago after getting ready to grill this spring, the first touch at the hole caused 50% of the bottom to start falling apart. Huge gaping hole, which continued to fall away. It is mostly fallen in. Found out this is not a replaceable part (the newer ones they sell, as well as older ones were separate replaceable grease pans) and got on the phone to Sears, as well as online to see what is going on. That is how I found this place, and that Sears was replacing some. Sears gave me a two-day run-around, including saying there was no record of my buying it, and then that they never heard of this issue, I had to have bought a warranty on it, and some character saying that there is no guarantee on rust - all grills rust.

They also told me that Sears is not the manufacturer - Kenmore is a different company. WHAT?!! These guys rely on you being uninformed and it appears that they think you are a moron if you would buy from them. He told me that unless there was a specific recall on my specific model, then they could do nothing. Every different color, every different side burner, or whatever variation, is a different model number - so they are aware that they can screw you over. Finally they found the record of my purchase. Again. Then they told me I had to pay to have someone come out and determine what happened.

Then they said I had already scheduled a service call, which I never did. I told the guy to cancel the call, and we got an email within seconds cancelling it but we never got one confirming it. That is because we never made it - someone of the several people I spoke with did. A service guy would come, I would have no idea what they were there for or maybe even not be home, and they'd leave and record everything as good. Nice. They do not want to fix the firebox issue.

Let's call it out: Sears imported a few thousand of these things, and their slave-labor Chinese factory pulled a fast one and made the bottom plate out of junk slag metal, and riveted it in to save on screws and labor. Now they are coaching their staff on how to get people like me and others to get sick of calling and maybe they can avoid a class action suit. One of these grills is going to blow up and KILL someone. I advise all of you to contact your state's Attorney General's office as soon as possible.

Original review: May 16, 2016

I went to clean my grill my Kenmore propane grill May 15th, 2016. I started to clean up some of the debris on the bottom of the fire box, when suddenly a large portion of the box fell down to the propane tank. I purchased the grill in 2014. I contacted Sears, was told I could buy a complete fire box for $344.00 and also pay $97.00 for a service tech. It seems that hot grease dripping on a propane tank would not be very safe.

Original review: May 10, 2016

I purchased a Kenmore 4 burner grill 14616142210 and warranty, 6/2013 and I purchased the "Worry-Free" warranty for $110, almost 1/3 of the price of the grill as I was assured everything would be covered. I found this year that my burners are hanging by only the tubing and called for service. It looks to me like the metal the brackets are made of was defective as they are the only parts that are rusted or burned out; Sears says it's rust and even if it's defective materials, they will not cover.

After calling customer service and being transferred multiple times, the "Corporate Service" representative that I was transferred to started by raising her voice and rolled into she could not talk to me since my partner's name is on the grill purchase (though mine is on the credit card that paid for it). This is called planned obsolescence: a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of non-durable materials.

Original review: April 22, 2016

In summer of 2013, I purchased a Kenmore grill model 148.23682310. The firebox has completely disintegrated. A quick google search showed that this is a very common problem and one Sears has chosen only to repair on 5 models. One of them is 1 digit off from mine and looks identical to the one I own. I contacted the store who told me to contact Sears Customer Care who sent me to Kenmore Customer care who sent me to Sears Repair who then sent me to the Recall Center who instructed me to take my grill to the Sears store which, despite the hassle of loading it into our car, I did and was told by the manager of the Sears Rockaway store that there's nothing she can do.

When I asked to speak to her supervisor I was told he's on vacation and he can't be contacted. She did, however, call Sears customer care and when I was put on the phone with them, the representative said there's nothing she can do. I asked that rep who I can talk to from there and she hung up on me. The store manager took my name and phone number and said she would e-mail someone. After I drove back home with the grill I contacted Sears corporate and was told since it's out of warranty and my model isn't one of the 5 they can give me 20% off a new grill. This in itself is insane as the rest of the grill is in perfect condition. It's the firebox that has prematurely worn away.

What's even more frustrating is over the last 3 years we've purchased a lawnmower, miter saw, and weed wacker from Sears and less than a year ago bought all Kenmore (oven, microwave, dishwasher, and fridge) kitchen appliances. How is that loyalty rewarded? With a complete runaround being transferred between departments and then time wasted driving a grill to the store to be told I was once again given the wrong information. I've attached two images which look exactly like the problem every other customer is complaining about. A quick google search of "Kenmore grill 148.23682310 recall" will show you how widespread this problem is, the consumer complaints, and a news story that was done last summer about this problem on a different Kenmore grill. Buyer beware.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I was surprised to find the firebox on my grill rusting out after just 2 seasons. I keep the grill covered and cleaned. I have seen some information about possible recalls or replacements but have not been able to find a specific Kenmore site for this. My grill model number is supposedly one of the recall grills. I like the grill otherwise. Hopefully Kenmore will come through with a replacement.

Updated 6/3/2016 - This is a follow-up to my April 19 post. I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH SEARS, KENMORE, AND THEIR RECALL DEPARTMENT. I called 5/2/16 and talked to the recall department. They confirmed that grill model #16154 is under their recall. I was told that I would receive a confirmation email or phone call within 48 hours from Sears to address the situation. They initially said I would be shipped a new firebox and a technician would be scheduled to make the replacement. No response. Called again the next week. Was told a firebox would be shipped but there are no technicians in my area (a city of 50,000? Really?). They said sometimes Sears will replace the grill if no technician is in the area to fix it. I was once again told I would be contacted in 48 hours. I was not.

Today 6/3/16 I have been on the phone for 2 hours. First the recall department said my grill was not under a recall. Then they transferred me to home services to pay for a tech to come out to tell me my grill was rusted out! When I said I would not pay for a technician they transferred me back to the recall department. Then after being on hold I explained to the 5th person of the day what the issue was. Then they transferred me to Appliances (6th person!). Appliances said I would have to talk to the Recall Dept. After another 10 minutes I was transferred back to Recall Dept (7th person!). Now I am on hold again with someone who is very hard to understand that said they would send the parts but that a technician will be calling me in 24 hours to set up the repair. Stay tuned... :(

Original review: April 18, 2016

I bought a Kenmore grill (model 148.23683310) about 2 years ago and found recently that the bottom of the burner box is completely corroded and broken into chunks to where the propane tank is now completely exposed. The grill is well maintained and always covered. It is ridiculous that the replacement is the complete burner box at over $300 and that you can't just get the bottom panel. Absolutely unacceptable design.

Original review: April 14, 2016

It's less than 3 years old and always covered. Just found out firebox to left is rusted out. Dangerous - right below propane - could have caught fire. Called Sears. Yes they will send someone for 101.00 to check it out. I see 5 models with same problem on recall. My model number is 14623673310. Not on recall list but should be. I have spoken to 3 other people for Sears reps. Didn't get anywhere. I have to keep repeating same thing over. I called 800 449-9810 - it's suppose to be manufacturer's number. None of them want to help. Kept passing me off. I had a grill for 10 years. Nothing like this ever happened.

Original review: April 7, 2016

The grill is still brand new after 1 year and a half but the bottom of the burner box rusted and fell out rendering the whole grill unusable! I spoke to 9 different people between Sears and Kenmore numbers 800 349 4358, 800 449 9810, 1888 949 7181, 1888 536 6673, myhomeservices.com/chat, and 1800-4-MY-HOME. One of the ladies who spoke to advised me to buy another grill. The tray in question costs about 100 dollars less than a new grill. It's like buying a new fridge because a shelf broke. The final straw was a call to "Product Resolution". The lady said she needed to fill out a form so I stayed on the line with her for about 20 mins. When she was done she said "all right if you get a call you are not the only one with this problem". Right! I bet a new grill I will not get a single call from Sears or Kenmore. What a joke.

Original review: March 17, 2016

May 2013 bought a Kenmore 148.16154211 gas grill. The grill has a cover for it and is stored in my shed in winter months. The grill still looks brand new until you open the lid. I was shocked when I went to get it out and opened the lid to find the pan had rusted out, holes touched it and it just all fell apart. Called Sears, they wanted $400.00 for part. Really I paid $400.00 in 2013. I have looked high and low on the net for some kind of a drip pan that would work, but not having any luck.

Original review: March 14, 2016

Model number 137.23671310. This is a piece of junk!!! I bought it in 2013 and everything is rusted out. Contacted Sears and they said they would fix it but I have to pay for the service call and parts. What a bullcrap. Say it's time for a lawsuit against them.

Original review: March 14, 2016

We also have a Kenmore gas grill that the firebox rusted out and is gone after 1.5 years of light use, always covered. The grill is unsafe to use as there is no longer anything between the burners and the gas tank. Last Fall I attempted to work with Sears on the issue with no satisfaction. They would come to look at it for a fee of about $100.00. Now it is the next March and I still cannot find a recall on the grill. Thanks to a reviewer on this site who had a phone number which I called. There is now a recall and the gentleman I spoke with was very helpful. I'm told they will be out to fix it before the end of March at no cost. Thank you to the poster from Elk River, MN.

Original review: March 9, 2016

We purchased our Kenmore gas grill in 2014. The igniter quit working in less than a year and the bottom has rusted out and the propane hose ignited on fire the last time we used the grill. When we contacted Sears, we were told they did not have a recall on the gas grills. I don't know who to contact, but from others' reviews, it is clearly a problem with the Sears grill that we paid over $350. If anyone has had success with getting a free replacement part, we would love to have the phone number.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

Bought a Sears Kenmore Gas Grill 148.23683310 in May of 2014. Went to clean it in November of 2015, bottom completely fell apart (rotted). I have never experienced anything like this before ever! Thanks to ConsumerAffairs (and not Sears) and people with the exact same part number that had the same problems, I learned there was a recall for my grill. From someone in CA who wrote a review and included a phone number that they used, I got the recall phone number 800-449-9810 (it's called Manufactures Services) - thank you to those people. Supplied the part number and serial number to the representative, and they did the rest. New bottom pan on its way, and will be replaced at no charge in about 10 days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I purchased a Kenmore gas grill (Model number 148.23683310) June of 2013. It is an all stainless steel model I expected to last a long time. I have kept it covered since I purchased it. When I went to remove a Christmas turkey, I noticed as I looked down into the grill, I could see the propane tank through the flames. The next day I went to clean the grill and the entire bottom fell apart. I have never had a grill bottom completely fall apart this quickly. This is a safety issue. The bottom of the grill is attached and a replacement part is nearly as expensive as a new grill--$380. After reviewing other information, it appears this is a common occurrence for Kenmore grills purchased in 2013 and 2014. I contacted Sears and they had no other answer than purchase the expensive replacement part. I was hoping for some compensation for an obvious defective design for a stainless grill.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Bought this grill about a year ago on brand reputation. Burners burn out about 9 months in and cost over $40 each (4 needed). I can buy a new grill from another manufacturer of similar quality for that price. Going back to WEBER which I know will last 10 years. Don't need to look at Sears next time for appliances. Learned from this mistake.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Yes, I too was very upset when the firebox burned out. We called and after 3 hours on the phone, got no satisfaction. I waited a few days and called again addressing the fire safety hazard, etc. and eventually (2 1/2 hours) got to the right department. Sure enough there was a recall. Within a few weeks I had a new firebox installed on my grill, no charge. My suggestion, open the front door of the grill, write down the model number and serial number, and insist on speaking to someone in the recall department. Have those numbers handy. Good Luck!!!

Kenmore Gas Grill Company Information