J.M. Movers LLC

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

You get what you pay for. The worst move I've ever experienced. They failed to move a treadmill stating the screws were stripped. They were not stripped and I was able to dismantle the treadmill in 10 minutes. They did come back a week later and moved it (Very stressful, inconvenient and unnecessary). They broke the screen door during the move. They never offered to come out and fix it. They only mailed the part which I had to repeatedly ask for for 2 months. They dropped my headboard onto the bed frame causing 2 gouges in the headboard and the frame. The owner has refused to fix it or compensate for the damage. In the 3 months of correspondence with the owner, Craig Boothe was mostly unresponsive, but when he was responsive he was abrasive and unprofessional. All in all a very bad experience!!!

We had an appointment for 10 AM for the movers to arrive. We waited for quite a while, then received a call, asking if we would be okay with 1 PM. I reluctantly agreed. Then they didn't arrived when scheduled, but they called and said they were tied up on a previous move and said they would be there by 3 PM. They didn't arrived until almost 4 PM. Once they arrived, we signed the contract and they began working. They loaded their truck, which was too small, and got everything moved to our new home.

We started to write a check and they said that they could not accept checks. By then, it was 11 PM that night and not only were we tired, but the movers were exhausted. I was advised that the only payment they could accept was through the company's PayPal account. I told them that as they are aware, we have just moved in and we had no cable, no phone, no internet and just how did the company expect me to make a payment.

I then remembered that since we have Verizon for our cell phones, we did have a Jet Pack that uses a ton of data time to allow us to get online when we traveled. So, I dug through a box, and found the Jet Pack, and had to plug it in and let it charge for a while. I was able to get online and send payment to them. The next day as we were starting to get settled, I noticed some damage to an office chair. I sent an email to the company and received no response. I sent another email and received no response. I called their phone and got their voice mail. I left a message and got no response. The damage was minor, so I just let it go.

Now, our daughter is buying a home and wants to know who we used for moving, so she doesn't make the same mistake we did. Yes, if they can do the job in four hours, their fee is cheap, but as I am reminded over the years, you get what you pay for. It has been just about a year now, but I think that people should be aware of what happened so they may be able to avoid the same experience that we had.

I hired these movers to move 3 miles away to another house. They damaged my dresser and will not pay due to the fact it is made of particle board. The movers were arguing with one another after this had happened. One guy was holding it upright and another guy tilted it and made 4 drawers fall out. They were negligent and the owners of the company will not compensate me anything for them. None of my furniture was wrapped in blankets or shrink wrap. Email below from owner of company:

"Had the drawers been taken out of the furniture as described by the contract this wouldn't even be a conversation we are having right now. Your husband said that they did a great job except this incident. My hands are tied because I am a partner in this company not the only owner and we collectively decided that we have to honor our contract as it is stated in black and white that is why we spent so much time developing it.

In addition the item was covered in transit as a normal standard in the moving industry MOST customers including you, are very time conscious due to the hourly rate of pay if we were to wrap every piece of furniture with shrink wrap for a local move you would have had to pay for multiple more hours of service. The candid response to this sentence is usually "I would rather pay to move my stuff safely it don't matter" but the truth of the statement is when we tried to do that in the past 90+ percent of customers called it milking the clock and not being efficient... so there is no winning on the explanation.

Again I am sorry, even if the piece was manufactured out of real wood the maximum reimbursement would be $66.00. The 300+ dollars would not be reimbursed. The reason we place that disclosure as MOST moving companies do is because the fragility and even the slightest wrong maneuver with that furniture causes damage this situation is no different one slight tilt and the cheaply made drawers dropped out and broke. Had it been disassembled it would have not happened."

Moved all my furniture from a 2 bedroom upstairs apartment to a 4 level condo. Member Comments: It was the smoothest move I've ever had - moved probably 12+ times in the last 20 years. I bought the Angie's List deal for 2 men, 17' truck, and 4 hours of moving services on Friday, July 18, hoping to move as soon as possible. They scheduled me for 2 days later, Sunday, July 20 between 1-2 pm.

They showed up a few minutes before 1:00. They were friendly and professional, and never batted an eye over the challenges, which included: Tight stairwell at the move-out location, meaning the couch and mattress set had to be lowered outside over the balcony rail. They had all the appropriate straps/pads, and knew exactly how to get this done with no damage to the house or furniture. Tough navigation of the truck at both locations. Move-in location was 4 level town home - they carried everything to the requested floor without a scratch. They worked thoroughly and consistently until the job was done, with no breaks other than a few sips of the water and gatorade they brought. No complaints whatsoever - I would use this crew again and would highly recommend to anyone. Thank you!

So I purchased a deal from Angie's List for these people to move a dining room set and a desk. I will say that they went out of their way initially by scheduling a Sunday move... BUT... 4 different people at 4 different locations were impacted negatively because of this... They were 3 hours late, first of all. Then all they did was blame it on the move before mine and that this customer did this and tricked them with that...etc. Didn't take responsibility at all.

Then the office person calls me and says she will refund $100 due to the issues. She said it would go right out in the mail... Well gee, it's already been a week and...surprise!!! NO CHECK. How long does mail take from their location to Parma... 1 day. Not a week. First, she gave excuses about the mail being slow and she would drop it off, etc... Well now she blocked my number and I've had to call from a different number but she won't even talk to me now. The actual moving guys were fine. It was the office and lack of information with lie after lie. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JM Movers LLC?

JM MOVERS Lakewood, OH Moving Service IS THE WORST moving company anyone could ever hire, and has the worst Management. I hired JM Movers LLC in Lakewood, Ohio for 4 hours block and I should have fired them from the 1st 15 minutes. I had given all my furniture away, so all they had to move is a dinner table, a queen bed, two twin beds, 3 boxes of books and a 2 year old fridge. For TRUE professionals this should have taken them less than 2 hours. It took them 6 hours!!!!!!!!!

The company sent two guys with a moving truck with no name of the company on the side, probably rented the morning of considering their professionalism. My previous home has low hanging tree line which they did not seem to see, because they used their truck to break and clear their way in, not only damaging the tree line but as well as the grass which are both understandable so at first we ignored. The two guys wore no company logo and no name tags to identify them by! They did not have any tools to remove my furniture. They walked in asking me if I had anything they can use to move my things.

The guys asked 1st to see everything that I was moving which consisted of: one queen bed, two twin beds, a dining table, and readymade boxes, and a 2 years old fridge and a freezer. After working on half of the 1st room, they stopped and said, "This stuff is too much." We need a 3rd person here for an additional $135 and they were going back outside to wait for him to show up, and I still have to pay for their wait time. I refused a third person, because I had another person helping them already for a total of 4 adult men. They started working after an elongated break and began with the ready-made boxes using the dolly with the other walking behind him. They never made it back to the 1st bedroom to get the bed frame to the queen bed, nor the twin beds. They also managed to leave a huge gash on my dining room table from being scratch as they hauled things to the new house.

Moving on to the Appliances, they removed the door to my home damaging the wood finish on both doors they removed, one at the new house and one at the old. They didn't know how to move the fridge, so the more experienced guy said it was better to take it apart, and started taking off the handles, so I had to stop him and SHOW him how to remove the entire door safely without damaging the fridge, which they ended destroying anyway. They completely damaged my $1800 fridge which I had for 2 yrs with no problems. It no longer gets cold enough to use. Snapping the water line from the back of it and now door to the fridge will not close.

To sweeten the tea they used the bathroom at my new house, clogging it completely which is going to require a plumber as if they flushed paper down the toilet. On top of it all, they only took the queen mattress, and the dinner table, left the box, the frame, the twin beds and the book boxes behind!!! Got to the new place. The dinner table was scratched and damaged. The fridge door will not close, will not freeze. Scratched the new place wall paint, the doors and the wood floors because they were trying to get the fridge through the doors!!!!!

And the best part, they used my bathroom AGAIN at my new place after coming back from lunch break at Wendy's, and clogged my bathroom!!!!!!! SO, I called the manager, who ignored my calls for the 1st day, then claimed he will not be able to do anything unless he comes out and assess the damage himself. He comes 30 minutes late after the allocated time, NO TAG, NO IDENTIFYING Logo. When I ask for Identification before I let him in, he responded very rudely, "Are you expecting anyone else??" Walks around, chips off the wall paint so I get the exact color!!! Then tells me that all the fridge needs is a 2-dollar fix, which he could do himself. Then has the audacity to tell me, "Why didn't you tell the guys to go back and get the rest of the items they left behind?"

AN OTHER THING: The damage done to the new house made me so Angry that I had to file with BBB and the News Station to save another family from a FAKE NO GOOD COMPANY. They were getting paid by the hour and showed no sense of urgency taking smoke breaks/time to sit in their truck in between each item. After 2 hours of poor work, I requested the contract so that I may call the owner. Their voicemail was full and I was unable to speak with anyone nor leave a voicemail during their normal business hours. One of the movers openly admitted that it was his first day on the job which clearly showed in their work ethic as well as the fact that they did not use a tape measure to see if an appliance would work but would go to every door until one worked (good method of wasting time considering again they were paid by the hour).

I hired JM Movers for a move on 12-16-2013. I was moving from a small temporary apt to a townhouse. The move was to load the apt stuff in a truck, take it to my new location and unload a storage pod. The movers arrived on time and got off to a good start, however, it took a drastic turn. They became slower and slower as the day went on. They had another move scheduled for later that day that they didn't want to do it, so they dragged their feet. There were frequent smoke breaks and cell phone breaks, an extended lunch as well as one of the movers getting picked up by his wife so he could take money out of an ATM for her. The move easily should have been 2 hours less.

No care was taken for my possessions. At one point I walked outside and saw wood and upholstered furniture on a snow-covered driveway without the use of tarps. I've had to wipe, green machine and buff dirt and grime off of most pieces of furniture. They did not reassemble dressers, left art in the garage with heavy corn hole game pieces leaning on them, etc.... I spoke to Craig prior to the move and it was my understanding that I would be invoiced through PayPal, however at the end of the move I was told that they would only accept cash and I owed $855.0. It was 8 pm, no way to get cash.

After going around and around, Craig agreed to invoice me through PayPal and left his movers there while I took care of the transaction. He then tried to tack on his PayPal fee, to which I said I would not pay. He then agreed to take it off. It was my mistake signing the paperwork so his guys could leave without inspecting my property. It was a long day and everyone was tired. The next day one of the movers called to tell me shoes were left in the truck and he would drop them by the next day. That day came and went and I never received them.

I let 6 days go by then emailed Craig about my property and voiced my displeasure about the move. Another 6 days went by (total of 12 days since move) and I still had no response from Craig. I sent an email to him stating that I hadn't received a reply about my property so I was filing a complaint with the BBB and Angie's List. He immediately responded to me that I was threatening him and that we already talked about the return of my shoes. I reviewed all emails and phone logs and told him he had not contacted me since the day of my move. I filed a dispute with PayPal, to which he left me a threatening voicemail telling me if I'm awarded any money he will take me to court and that he absolutely would not drop my shoes off under any circumstances, that I had to go pick them up at his house and see the faces of his family I was stealing money from.

I said fine, I will pick them up when it is convenient for you, tell me an address and a day and time. He told me to call him Jan. 2 (5 days later) when he is back in the office from the holidays. I said I will not call but will email him then. He insisted that I call him directly if I wanted my shoes back. I said fine, I will call you Jan. 2 and arrange pickup of my shoes, that I thought it was shady that I had to go to his personal house and that I would be bringing a police escort because he had been threatening and manipulative. Craig then accused me of trying to cause a scene in front of his family and cause trouble, but those were his terms in order for me to get my shoes back. He then said any further attempts to contact him had to be done through a lawyer and I was harassing him. He said he would drop my shoes off at the police station but didn't provide any other details. Craig is unapologetic for damaging my property, overcharging on hours, and withholding my personal property from me. I have phone message and emails to back up all claims mentioned.

This a follow-up involving article titled 'J.M. Movers LLC'

After speaking with the owner of the company, we have finally settled this in a civil way without going to court. We hold no hard feelings for the company. The overall move was fine except for the small disagreements and problems that we had. We hope now that everything is settled between both parties that no further or trouble will occur.

We will be requesting that this article be removed since this has been settled in a civil way between both parties.

My girlfriend and I recently had issues with a moving company called J.M. Movers, LLC on April 18, 2011 when we were moving into our new home. Craig ** from J.M. Movers verbally agreed to my girlfriend, Rachael **, that we would only be charged $270 for a move that was estimated for four hours and he said that he would not charge us for any hours longer than this. At the end of the move, it took the movers about seven hours to complete and Craig tried to pressure us for about $50 more even though we had a verbal agreement with him to be charged $270. Below, I will explain the entire situation.

Rachael and I scheduled J.M. Movers, LLC to move 1 King Size bed with mattresses, 1 Queen Size bed with mattresses, 1 long dresser with 2 mirrors attached, 1 long dresser with 1 mirror attached, 2 tall dressers, 3 night stands, a dining room table, 3 chairs, 1 China cabinet, and 1 microwave stand on a trip for 7.30 miles to our new house in the morning of April 18, 2011. Both my mom and I took off work so that we could start to unpack and put things away that day.

Neither Rachael nor I heard anything from J.M. Movers, LLC on April 17, 2011 to make sure everything was alright for moving the next day. The next morning, we did not see or hear anything from J.M. Movers, LLC. Rachael called Craig ** from J.M. Movers, LLC around 10:30 because the movers did not arrive yet. We received no response from Craig during this first phone call, so next we called Kristi, who was listed as the other number that was on the business card.

When we spoke with her, she had no idea about the scheduled move we had with J.M. Movers and she herself could not get a hold of Craig. Kristi called me back around 12:00 and said that she had no news about what was going on, but she would try to schedule movers for us for that afternoon or the morning of April 19, 2011. We did not hear from anyone from J.M. Movers, LLC for the rest of the day.

On the morning of April 19, 2011, we tried to call Craig ** to see what was going on. We were finally able to get a hold of him at about 10:00 and he stated that the reason that the movers did not arrive the previous day was because he was in a bad accident. Craig said that he would try to get movers to help us in the afternoon of April 19, 2011 at around 3:00 PM. Also, we asked Craig ** to see if he would provide a discount to us since the movers never showed up. Craig ** agreed verbally at this point to take 10% off the initial bill for the four hours.

After looking at what we wanted to be transported to the new house, the movers believed that the move would take about four hours with the amount of furniture that we had. The movers started working at 3:10 PM on the afternoon of April 19, 2011. Soon after they started, the movers informed us that Craig ** never provided them with any tools to take the beds, China cabinet, or mirrors apart. The movers asked us if we had any tools that we could use for them to take apart the furniture, but we had already moved them to the new house.

We called Craig again and complained that the workers were unprepared and could not move some of the bigger furniture without tools. Craig ** verbally agreed at this point that if one of us left to get some tools, he would deduct the time the movers had to wait for us to pick up the tools. At this point, we agreed and Rachael left for my mom's house which is 6.56 miles away.

The movers decided to load other furniture into the truck since they did not have any tools to take apart the beds, China cabinet, or mirrors. Once Rachael returned with the necessary tools, only the 2 bed frames, 1 King Mattress, 1 Queen Mattress, 2 long dressers, and the China cabinet were not loaded on the truck. But, since the movers did not have the proper tools to take the furniture apart, they were unable to load everything into the truck to make the trip in one load--3 mirrors, 1 King Mattress, 1 Queen Mattress, and 2 bed frames would not fit on the truck. The movers both stated that had they been provided the necessary tools by Craig, they probably could have loaded the truck efficiently and everything would have fit in one load.

At this point, we contacted Craig ** and complained that everything would not fit in the truck because it was not loaded properly since the workers had to move other furniture in the truck first while they waited for us to get them tools. At this point, Craig ** verbally agreed to charge us only $270 for the entire move and he would not charge us for any hours longer, that went over the four-hour estimate. This was the final verbal agreement between all of us. We agreed that this deal was acceptable and the movers continued to work.

The movers drove very slow and it took about 30 minutes just to drive 7.30 miles to our new house. This cost a decent amount of time, but we did not make an issue about it at the time after we made the verbal agreement with Craig **. The workers moved the first load to our new house without any problems except for the rainy weather, nicks in the walls, dirt on the white carpet, and some damages to the Queen bed frame, a night stand, and 2 tall dressers.

Once the first load was moved to the house, the workers and I returned to the condo to move the 3 mirrors, 1 King Mattress, 1 Queen Mattress, and 2 bed frames would not fit for the first load on the truck. It took another 30 minutes just to drive 7.30 miles to our new house on the second trip. Once we returned to the new house with second load, the workers emptied the truck and started to put the furniture back together. When the movers started to assemble the bed frames, it was night and dark outside. There are no light fixtures inside the rooms, so we brought up 2 lamps for the movers to use so that they could see in order to put the bed frames back together.

At about 9:45 PM, Craig ** called us complaining about how long the move was taking. We explained to Craig ** that the workers were trying their best to move everything in a timely fashion. Both the workers and us stated to Craig ** that the move was taking so long because the workers were not provided with proper tools to take apart the furniture and that the move took two trips since the truck was not loaded efficiently.

Craig stated that he wanted us to pay an additional $50 because the move was taking so long. We refused to pay him anything extra because we had a verbal agreement with Craig that we would be charged only $270 for the entire move and he would not charge us for any hours longer, that went over the four-hour estimate. Also, we complained to Craig at this point that there were some damages done to some of the bedroom furniture, some of which were bought new in the fall of 2010.

At the end of the move, the workers had papers for us to sign. Both the workers heard about the agreement between Craig ** and us about only being charged $270 for the entire move and that Craig would not charge us for any hours longer, that went over the four-hour estimate. We signed the papers and noted on the bill about the price that was verbally agreed about. We requested that one of the workers to initial the bill to prove that there was a verbal agreement between Craig and us involving the $270 cost for the move. We made copies of what we signed to make sure we kept track of what happened.

On April 20, 2011, Craig ** sent us an invoice for move. Craig ** is now stating that he wants an additional $195 for the three additional hours. Also, Craig states that his verbal agreement with us was not valid since he did not provide it in writing. Craig is claiming that he did not authorize his workers about this agreement and that the worker who initialed the bill had no right to do so. He says that if we do not pay him in 30 days that he may take further action, including small claims court.

Craig says that we are in breach of contract. He highlighted in the contract sections that we violated. He claims in Section I, Part C that: "Household goods carriers will transport shipments with reasonable dispatch. Reasonable dispatch requires the transportation of a shipment within the agreed period of time on the moving services contract, except when the circumstances beyond the Carrier's control force majeure, prevent, or delay transportation."

How are we in violation of this section when Craig failed to provide the movers with tools to take apart the beds, China cabinet, and mirrors which caused the movers to make two trips since the truck was not loaded efficiently? The furniture could have been easily moved in one trip had the workers been provided with proper tools and loaded the truck efficiently. The reason why the move took so long was because of the mistakes that Craig ** made and I believe that we should not have to pay for that.

I am very upset about what Craig ** is doing. I do not feel that we should pay the additional $195 for the additional three hours after we had a verbal agreement with Craig.

J.M. Movers LLC Company Profile