James Hardie Siding

Compare Roofing & Siding Companies

Research top Roofing & Siding Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My bucket list included restoring a very old house we have on our country place. I did it myself, rank amateur, I chose HardiePlank. I watched a few siding companies install it and that was my lesson. It's been 16 years since I put it up AND it's still there. I used Sherwin-Williams paint. No warping, dissolving or whatever.

The home is 100 miles West of Houston and there is humidity, rain, droughts, and intense sun in the summer. I wrapped the house in traditional tar paper. Every three feet I put a 1X6 vertically to attach the plank to. This left a dead air space for added insulation. The hot air rises from the bottom to top naturally and out the attic. Used a digital thermometer to check temp. West outside wall in July measured 115 degrees. Drywall inside approximately 5 inches away from outside spot was 75 degrees. Used R12 in west wall as the sun goes down that way. Only regret is I wished I'd used 2X6 for studs on the west wall. Enjoy your success James H, you earned it.

I first installed Factory painted Hardie plank lap siding in 1990. I am a licensed contractor of 30-plus years and unfortunately I resided six houses and an apartment complex with James Hardie ColorPlus lap siding, all of which failed due to thin, inexpensive, improperly applied factory paint. This product is not suitable for any climate - I installed 12,000 square feet in Boulder Colorado at 6000 feet altitude, dry climate failure, Omaha, Nebraska wet climate, humid just like Louisiana and Georgia in the summertime, failure.

On the Boulder Colorado job a representative from the factory in Fort Collins came out and dumped the air tanks on my compressors and yelled and screamed not to shoot FN water into my product. When you compress air it will condense moisture inside the tanks and they are dumped daily by any professional worth his salt. That was the last time I used the pre-painted product. It comes on pallets with individual mylar film protecting each panel and even in that dry climate covered thoroughly and completely every evening the next day through capillary action the siding would be wet. Within for 3 or 4 days it started to stink from bacterial growth.

Every one of the ColorPlus jobs had to be primed with a Killz primer, thoroughly caulked and painted with Sherwin-Williams super paint. My commercial clients still specify this product, I will only bid jobs for unprimed raw material which I can thoroughly seal prime and use an high quality paint to finish. As long as you completely watertight the entire installation from Foundation to Roofing you will have no problems.

We first had our Hardie siding installed 10 years ago by a local contractor. After less than 5 years, we had several places that began to peel. I called the contractor and they said it was not their issue, so I wrote to Hardie with photos and after a short period of time, they sent out a representative. Two gentlemen from Hardie did come out to inspect the problem and sent out a shipment of new siding for the places that were peeling. They did explain that it was initially installed incorrectly so they did the necessary repairs and we added gutters, etc. that were missing. Well, it has been just 5 years and we are having the same problem, peeling of the finish! It looks horrible and we will have to repair before we move. I hesitate to contact Hardie again after reading all of the posted problems. My husband will never recommend this product and should there be a class action, I will gladly participate.

PLEASE!!! Don't touch this produced with a barge pole. My first house we had Marley cedral weatherboard put on our house. For our 2nd home, we thought we will clad that property as well. Our builder merchants advised us to use HARDIE PLANKS instead as the builder merchants have ceased using Marley because it was cheaper. When I went to check the colours at their store and THANK G I did and not ordered it over the phone. They are absolutely rubbish. Very thin over twice as thin as Marley. The price was 100 cheaper for 60 planks 936 compared 1,000 Marley and the wood effect on Hardie is cheap and nasty. So for the sake of 100 more Marley is the best. So PLEASE don't use this cheap and nasty product from USA. Now in the UK.

Warning!! Don't buy James Hardie Products! After dealing with James Hardie company I need to share our story. In 2009 our 50x60 shop was completed. With the recommendation of our builder we chose to have Hardie Plank siding put on our new building. This is where our trouble began. Right away the caulked seams split. We had it re-caulked and repainted the areas. In 2007 the siding began to fall off in places. The contractor replaced the missing/broken boards, face nailed, re-caulked and painted those areas.

In late summer we contacted the James Hardie Plank Regional Representative. My husband was stood up on four separate occasions when this man said he would bring a case of caulk and look at our building. Three weeks ago, in desperation, we decided that we would just have to face nail, re-caulk and paint the entire building ourselves. We arranged for a hydraulic lift, as it is a two story building, purchased caulk and paint. We were ready to go. On closer inspection we found that the previously face nailed areas were loose once again!

At this point I was overwhelmed with the idea that we would spend the time and money to protect our building and the siding will eventually fall off anyway! I texted photos to the builder who contacted his supplier. The supplier called me and I told him about our frustration with the Hardie Plank Rep. He said he would make some calls to get the Hardie Plank rep to come look at our issues. Lo and behold the rep contacted me that afternoon. Although he had no recollection of ever hearing of us or our problems he set up an appointment for a week away. (We forwarded his emails to help refresh his memory). This time he showed up. He took many photos and said he would get back to us the next day. Five days later he called and said we would have to file a warranty claim. I asked for his photos, since I thought he would captured our problems. He said we could just take more and the forms are available on the website.

I completed the form and required documentation, which included proof of ownership since the building was build, receipts and and 20 photos. We mailed it off with tracking so that we would know when they received it. It took five days before we got a call from the claims department. Stephanie Carter from the Claims and Warranty department told me over the phone that none of the issues we we having are covered under the Hardie Plank warranty. It was 100% problems from faulty installation. She listed such things as the product mirrors the substrate, high nailed and not nailed to the studs. She also said that when it became loose the first time and boards were replaced that we should have used the "Pin back method" with finishing nails. I asked that she put this in writing and she said she would email me the letter.

What we got was short letter that said that none of this is covered under the warranty. None of the things she told me about faulty installation were mentioned. I called her back today and asked for those things to be included. She flat refused! She said we would have to hire a certified home inspector to remove the siding to prove those things. My question to her is "How does her review committee know it is faulty installation without coming to look themselves?" Out of the goodness of their hearts they will reimburse us for any defective boards (but remember she already told us that none of it is covered under warranty, therefore they probably won't ever reimburse us).

When I said, for the third time, that we are being screwed by their lack of backup she hung up on me. We don't know what else to do so I decided to write this scathing review. Also when I paint a warning in bright red 6 foot letters across the building, so it can be viewed from the highway, I will post photos on social media. Don't buy any James Hardie Product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Hardie Siding?

We installed Hardie Plank Evening Blue on the house. They put on the matching caulking and it look great but ONLY for a few months. Each and every one of the seams is discoloring. Now I have a house with brand new siding looking like bird poo all over. Our contractor has contacted both Hardie Plank and the caulking rep and neither of them is standing behind the product. They told us that this sometimes happens but it is NOT COVERED under the warranty. They are not even willing to paint the seams with a matching color to solve it. So I have a new house that needs to be repainted just a few months (not even a year) after the product has been installed. This is a completely defective product and the manufacturer is not standing behind it when it should. Not recommending it to anybody.

Hardie board is GARBAGE! James Hardie should be ashamed of himself for selling such a ** product, in a few years when people have to take that garbage off, it will end up sitting in landfills! Go back to the drawing board James you are selling cardboard! Your product is a joke!

I went with Hardie Plank because I was told it has a 50-year transferable warranty... well... after 10 years it started to fall apart. Literally break into small pieces and fall off. I called Allied Siding & Windows, Tomball, TX, the official installer. He refused to honor the warranty, even though they installed it. They made every excuse in there was to make. It has been seven months and still excuses. I asked for the Hardie Plank Rep to come out... no luck. I would consider another product.

Installed Hardie Plank siding on my farm house approx. 12 yrs ago... Installed by my contractor who sold me on the idea. He is no longer using it and I will never use it again. My brother is in the process of building a new home and I was successful in talking him out of it. The weather side of the house had some delamination of the product. We have to remove it and had enough in the attic from the original job to replace it. Some of the trim we bought did the same. We replaced the trim with vinyl. Wish it was available at the time... The garage was built 4 yrs after the house was done. We used a painted white Hardie plank and painted over it and it seems ok... Yes it has a warranty but after you deal with all the BS you're better off buying a better product. I am sorry I didn't use a good vinyl siding. Just painted the house this summer and had to do a lot of repairs. Never again. This stuff is not made for PA climates.

My wife and I built a new home in Texarkana, Texas in 2012. Upon the recommendations of the builder we chose Hardie board siding. Worst mistake we could have made. Cost was higher than brick. Siding is very brittle. It expands and contracts with weather changes leaving gaps and cracks. Impossible to repair breaks economically. Hardie board actually decreased the resale ability of our home. I have nothing positive to say about this product. I later learned that the contractor received a kickback from the local Hardiboard suppliers. Very poor product.

I have just spent the day sort of stripping HardiePlank off the front of my house. I say "sort of stripping", because most of it crumbles off in my hands. I had the house built 15 years ago, by a professional contractor, who suggested HardiePlank for Its long term sturdiness and warranty etc. It was painted and looked great. But at least on my home, it started flaking off and splitting (vertically, like layers of shale or mica would). Very visible within ten years, and gaping holes were visible in 12 years. Very difficult to register for a warranty complaint, and they didn't honor it. This was an area below the gutters which was supposed to have been protected from water, but probably got some runoff from the upstairs porch (so maybe some grout runoff, but nothing extraordinary). I wouldn't use it again.

I bought a house in 2006 that was constructed and sided with Hardieplank in 2004. Shortly after purchase I noticed that all the boards within a few feet (not inches, feet!) off the ground or the roof-line were coming apart like wet cardboard. Supposedly the reason is that when water splashes where the planks overlap, it seeps up behind the painted parts, and as we all know, if Hardie board gets wet at all, ever, it falls apart.

I've since re-sided one gable wall of the house, using matching Hardieplank that I got at a reasonable price after the local chain store got so many complaints that it discontinued all fiber-cement siding. To install it, I pre-painted three coats both front and back of every piece with Benjamin Moore's top of the line paint, pre-drilled every piece, hand-screwed with stainless screws every piece, installed over every screw and behind every piece a rubber grommet to prevent any kind of moisture build-up, and used Azek PVC board instead of Hardie for the bottom four courses. That wall of my house has to be the most labor-intensive siding job in the country. And two years later, it looks beautiful.

But corrugated cardboard would look equally beautiful after being handled like that. And that's what it comes down to. Hardie Siding is difficult-to-work-with, impossible-to-cut, carcinogenic-when-breathed, brittle, heavy, very expensive cardboard. That this was ever sold as some kind of "improvement" in siding is a fantastic swindle. Hardie ranks among the great con-men of all time.

Over 15 years of Outer Banks sun, salt, wind - repainted only once (at about 12 years). Nothing but good things to say. Little to no fading or discoloration. Lots of renter's hands around the pool, cleaned easily. Only issue was the bottom edge got hit by the picnic table bench, and crumbled off a small section. Can't easily fix that. About to build another house. Will likely use Hardie again.

I built my home in 2006 using James Hardie siding. It was pre-finished with color plus from James Hardie. It came with a 15 year warranty on the finish. After only a year or so I noticed some small finish issues. About the third year some of the siding was falling apart and the finish was failing all over. Got nowhere with James Hardie. They wouldn't even send out a representative. I think that's how they win. They wear you down till you give up. I called everyday and finally gave up.

After five years I was forced to have the entire house repainted. This was extremely costly due to the entire home needed to be scraped, wire brushed, primed and then coated with two coats. The first year it looked great because the finish was so crisp and clean. After the first winter I'm already noticing some areas of the siding failing. It's not the finish it's the surface of the siding itself. It falls apart like wet cardboard.

The product is absolutely junk. Stay away at all costs. My only choice I feel now will be to have to remove all the siding at some point and use some other product. I'm part of the class action lawsuit. Even if James Hardie paid me enough to remove all the siding at great cost and cover the cost for new material and installation, I would still badmouth the company for how they handled my issues. They are bad people and need to be punished. DO NOT USE JAMES HARDIE PRODUCTS!!!

Applied the siding eight years ago. It held up for approx. five years and the paint started peeling due to the siding breaking down. I used Duration paint by Ben Moore which was recommended. I have to chase it every year now.

Our contractor talked us into Hardie Siding for the entire outside of our home to replace all the current wood areas of the house. It's been approximately 8 years now, and the Hardie siding on the sunny side of our house has warped and separated from the wood trim for yards and yards of Hardie Siding. On the bottom of the overhang, the Hardie Siding has completely fallen apart and just hangs there ready to drop off. When I touch this siding, it feels like a sponge. On a positive note, wherever the sun has NOT hit the Hardie Siding, it looks new with no paint peeling off or aging at all. However anywhere where the hot sun hits the Hardie Siding, it is falling apart completely. What can I do? Is the a class action law suit for this fraudulent product?

Glad I searched for others having problems with this siding as I thought I was unique! I too thought this was an ideal product when building new home back in 2008. After moving in we kept hearing the siding banging with moderate winds. I told the contractor about it and it looks like that tacked down some loose panels. He shortly went out of business with the housing slowdown and can no longer be useful. The noise continued to get louder and I noticed spots beginning to fade. This year I finally had it with the banging and fading and contacted JH. Reading the other reviewers it looks like I'm getting the old run-around. Being told my case is in committee review for the past three weeks! Saw some class action stories I will look into.

Added on garage to house with 2 ext. walls done with Hardie plank siding purchased at HD or Lowe's. Approx. 10 yrs later & lots of mildew always building up on 1 shaded side of house & some yrs later on sunny side as well, with peeling of not paint; but the planking itself was deteriorating to the point where I can pull it away in some spots with my fingers. Replaced a few boards last yr., with same thing starting again. Wondering if I can pressure wash & do over siding w/ a new different siding but truly am deciding to just remove & put serious siding on & be done with it. Should have stuck with cedar like rest of house, I guess.

On the recommendation of a contractor, I had James Hardie ColorPlus siding professionally installed on my 1970s house in Minnesota in 2008. I was very pleased with the appearance of the work, and for four years detected no problems with it. Toward the end of summer 2013, I noticed that the color of the siding was beginning to fade in a few small spots. By spring 2014, many more faded blemishes appeared on my siding. I complained to the contractor who had installed the siding. The contractor contacted James Hardie.

After a delay of some weeks, the local James Hardie sales representative visited my home, took some photos and made notes, and said that he would need to call in a technical expert to assess the problem. Another few weeks' delay. Then the technical expert came, made a more thorough inspection, taking many more photos, and put me in touch with James Hardie's Warranty Department. I filled out all of the necessary forms for making my warranty claim. That was over 2 months ago. Not one word back from James Hardie, despite follow-up appeals from both me and my contractor. Complete stonewall silence.

I am in the process of selling this house. To do that, I have to restore the siding's appearance (it has continued to deteriorate through the summer). So I am faced with painting costs of approx. $1,400. In my opinion, James Hardie is an untrustworthy organization, selling a defective product, using deceptive advertising, and operating a sham warranty.

Recently I hired a carpenter to build me a garage and asked to have the siding zone with James Hardie siding as most homes in area are done with it and I do like the look. After 2 weeks of being installed on my garage I started to notice large gaps between boards and asked carpenter why is this? His comment was shrinkage and expansion?? I then asked a installer close to my home to look at it and give his opinion to why has happened. He advised me to visit him and view his home with same siding and I did this. I did not see large gaps in his as he said that the product somehow got wet from company to building home and then shipped to my home??? I am not at a stage of submitting a claim with insurance company with James Hardie. I have read many articles on complaints and now am somewhat getting discouraged as am thinking I will not be getting any help from anyone and will need of bite the loss???

I will be taking this to T.V STATION ETC should this not be resolved quickly as I am not about to be blamed for this as I hired a professional I think to build my garage and install this product. More to come if not resolved in the next month or so. Not so sure I will buy this product again if this is the true warranty for this product. I live in Summerland BC and the products were bought from Timbermart Building Supplies here in Summerland BC. Have not heard from them yet and reported this to them one week ago. Nor have I got any help from the builder who is well recognized here in Summerland. Should I be denied compensation I will be taking to next step. I am on low income and cannot afford to repair this screw up of someone else's mistakes.

50 year warranty is not honored by the company. I bought this product 14 years ago, did not install it, and now it is falling apart when I tried to install it. I filed a claim with the company and they told me since I didn't install it right away and I didn't store it indoors, they wouldn't honor their warranty. I bought this crap because there was a piece of it SITTING IN WATER supposedly for 5 years at the lumber store as an advertisement. Just know that Hardie DOES NOT honor their warranty. They will make some excuse as to why they shouldn't have to. I'll never use it again.

Paint is flaking off the siding because of water freezing. The siding was warrantied to last longer!

JH siding is a sham. After installation, there was a haze on the product. A JH rep came out to look at it and said to use vinegar and water mix and then scrub the entire house with a sponge. I paid $800 to do the entire outside of the house and still had the same problem. Another JH rep came out and said to try light soap and water. So we did just a part of the house and had the same problem. After examining the siding, we realized that it came from the factory like this. Some of the plastic cover that comes on the new product wasn't fully on and in transport had some dirt baked into the siding. Hardie said this wasn't their problem even though it came from their factory "with" the plastic cover.

After many threats, we came to the conclusion that we had to repaint the entire house and JH said they would pay "half". After we paid the painter, we never received a check and they won't answer our calls. We are a high-end builder and will NEVER EVER use this product again. They just run from their problems and don't back their own product! Our lumber salesman is in the works of filing a class action lawsuit against them considering this isn't the first time it has happened. Hope this helps everyone. :)

We purchased the James Hardie Color Plus product to put on our free-standing garage. After it was installed, we felt the color didn't look right. It was like a really bad, cheap primer paint with a chalky finish. We filed a claim with JH after months of waiting and constantly having to call them back. They finally sent out a JH representative to look at it. He was very vague about what he thought was wrong, but said he would send a report of his findings back to the company.

After more waiting (this had been going on for about five months by now), JH said we had a problem that was not covered by their warranty. They called it efflorescence, which is caused by the product getting wet before installation. Accordingly, this means that someone left it lying in the rain before installation. It's an outdoor product; and it wasn't left in the rain during installation. Furthermore, I checked consumer reports review of this product and they tested it in the harshest climates in the country. This company is not honest, and wants to get rid of any claims they receive from their customers. This 'efflorescence' thing seems to be their go-to phrase to get rid of you. We also had one of their installation managers come and look at it; and he said something was wrong with the finish, probably from the factory; but JH won't listen to their own employees.

In June 2006, we built our house with Hardie Plank ColorPlus siding. This product carries a 15 yr warranty on the finish. In 2009 it began fading. Then in August 2010, we filed an official warranty claim with photos and all and waiting for over 1 month. Then when we pushed the issue, we got a denial of the claim for a reason called "efflorescence" which would happen if the product is exposed to water! It is siding on the outside of the house!

We appealed the denial and heard nothing for two months. And then I called our installer who got other people involved locally who were affiliated with the product company. These people actually came out to the house and were appalled at the condition of the siding in less than 4 years. They then filed an additional warranty claim on our behalf in January and they work for James Hardie. I only know the man's name is Jordan. We have been waiting for about 5 weeks and I have called to inquire and am told that "someone from Valspar and Hardie have to come out together and their schedules have to be coordinated". So we still wait. I do not feel that this situation will be resolved. The initial denial of the claim has been judged ludicrous even by their own company rep here locally.

James Hardie Siding Company Profile