2.72/5
Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

52 James Hardie Siding Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 27, 2018

We, like the majority of you, have had a TERRIBLE experience with Hardie Siding. We bought our brand new KB Home in the fall of 2012. The salesman couldn't tell us enough how GREAT this ColorPlus stuff was... it was a HUGE selling point. We were VERY intrigued with the thought of an exterior that would need NO maintenance (ie: painting) for AT LEAST 15 YEARS!! Well what a crock of ** that was.

In the spring of 2016 (after not even 4 years of ownership) we noticed the siding looks like it's oxidizing (like aluminum siding would do... it's a powdery look but doesn't wipe off like aluminum siding would). We had a rep from Sherwin ** out (Valspar is the paint that Hardie used, but the hubby has a connection through work) and were informed it's a PH burn. A PH burn is when the acidity level rises in the cement board and begins to burn through the paint from the backside out. It looks absolutely HORRIBLE to be only 5-1/2 years old.

We then reached out to Hardie... had their reps out... filed the claim, and were turned down. Despite the fact that they claim NO RESPONSIBILITY for this, we were also offered the minuscule "payoff" of @ $1,500 if we had the house painted immediately. We then had to send them the proof of the painting before we would receive the payment. But I've read that others have done this and no payment was ever received. We essentially gave up as they make it a very painstaking process.

So, here we are now, saving up money to have our 5-1/2 year old house painted to the tune of @ $5,000. We basically have to have it painted twice because we have to put a primer on it to keep the PH from burning through again. I have made it my mission to let any and everyone know about this shoddy product and business. I DO NOT... NOR WILL I EVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY OR PRODUCT. I would love to get in on one of the class action suits... even if it would take years and years to see any result (if any), just to see them have to make it right or at the very least accept responsibility for this.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Been trying to get ahold of the local rep around Spokane on a warranty issue and can't get any response. Have emailed and corporate with no luck. They will tell you till blue in the face that someone will contact and they never do. Bad water and mold issues behind properly installed Hardie.

Get expert buying tips about Siding delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Not long after installing them some of our siding was peeling. Wrote to James Hardie and nothing was done. I have had the house painted several times and have had to replace several boards because once water gets in it turns to mush. I would never recommend any products from this company as they do not stand behind them. I went with this product because they claimed that paint would last 15 years give or take. It would have been ok if it was just peeling paint after 5-10 years but the product absorbs water like a sponge and falls apart. Now I am faced with having to reside my home. Will stay as far away from James Hardie Products as possible.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We chose James Hardie Color Plus siding when residing our house, which is near the ocean. A very harsh environment. We were told that the prefinished product was warrantied and that it wouldn't have to be painted for some time. That was in 2010. Last year large patches of the siding began turning from Khaki brown to green. After sending someone to look at the property I heard nothing from James Hardie. Now two months later I called to find out the status of my claim, only to be told they were going to do nothing! Which apparently also includes not letting me know that. Clearly their product is a waste of money, as it is not a premium product. Should have bought a cheaper product and used the savings to repaint the whole house as I'm going to have to do now.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We had this siding put on our house back in 2003 and have had to repaint the house almost yearly. It is 2017, and parts of the siding have decayed, rotted, fallen off, split and now creating a whole new set of problems. We did buy the planks primed and according to the "warranty" had it installed by a licensed contractor. We paid a fortune for this product but definitely not worth 1 penny of the cost. Never again. Vinyl is the best feasible, long term, no hassle way to go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Hardie Siding?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I've installed Hardie siding for years and have it on my own house. It's not my favorite stuff to cut or install but done properly it's far better than anything else. A few things I've learned about installing is keeping the exposed face at 6.5" or less at 7". It only has 1.25" under the next row and with that little it doesn't hold the board tight to the wall and it flops around being brittle it will come loose, more so if time isn't taken by the installer to keep the nails as low as possibly without them showing so it pulls the bottom back, and the gun pressure can't be too high or it fractures and loosens and the studs need to be hit or the nail head will sink and fracture and it will come loose, just like in the picture where its face nailed the heads are sunk in because nails didn't hit a stud so even face nailing won't help if it doesn't hit a stud.

The seams are tough because a stud is 1.5" wide and at best you have 3/4" of stud. Try and hit and shooting 8d nails a 1 1/2" from edge is as close as you want to go. The closer you get the higher the chance it will fracture and shooting on a angle doesn't work in that brittle board, I've had to get creative and use my 15ga finish nailer on butt joints to putting caulk behind each edge to help hold it back, or predrill close to the edge and hand nailing that carefully or use stainless trim head screws that make their own hole and the grab, plus the screw just needs to grab sub siding and not a stud to hold.

Most installers are all about speed and I don't blame them. It's a tough market and the faster it gets done the more they profit or even make a profit. Bottomline Hardie siding lasts. It holds paint for years and is pretty much maintenance free but the reason for that is it's a cement product so there is the trade off but the installer needs to charge more for the job and take the time to do it right or quit installing that kind of product. It will last forever if done right, if any of that other stuff had the same advantages and still cut and installed at the same pace then everyone would be using that but isn't there always trade offs for these wonder products. Spend a little more money and time and maybe paint it again in 20 or 30 years or get the other stuff and paint it every five and replace it in 20 or 30 years.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

We used Hardie siding on our house in 1998. We used prepainted and only had to finally paint it last year. Almost 20 years before paint needed. We live in middle Tennessee where we have four seasons so we expect rain and snow and sun and lots of humidity. Still no problem. Now we are building another house and will use Hardie Board siding again. Monterey Taupe is the color we have selected and we are excited to use this product again.

Resolution response: Aug. 21, 2017

This issue was resolved. Contractor was back out and touched up the areas that were spotty. It once again looks wonderful. That was the only issue we had. Everything else about the product was great. Our electric bill has been reduced.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Early 2017 we had Hardie plank lap siding installed. It was prepainted and while it was beautiful the first month or two, within a week or two of hot weather, large spots started appearing. They are now on every wall and look horrible. I am working with the contractor to resolve and it sounds like they will have to repaint where the spots appear. So now I'm looking at 3/4 of the house needing paint. Had I known this would be an issue I would have ordered the primed boards and had it painted.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I strongly do not recommend anyone using the Hardieplank siding with their ColorPlus paint job pre-applied before shipping of product. My home was built in 2010 and my builder said he was being given an extra incentive if I would use Hardieplank siding on my home. I read about it and chose it primarily for the 15 year paint warranty. Well, I am at the 7 year mark from when it was installed. I have significant paint fading all over my almost 2000 square foot cape cod style home. It is visible from the street and my home now needs to be repainted which will cost me out of pocket $5000-$6000 minimally.

I filed a warranty claim with James Hardie and sent it pictures. My claim was denied (which I have read is quite common), but offered a $1500 voucher towards paint if I had the house painted within 180 days. I don't have $5000-6000 dollars right now. If I signed their agreement, I would also lose any legal recourse now and in the future so in effect would be signing away my legal rights. No way. There is a class action lawsuit awaiting certification on my issue and several others. Lawyers are waiting on the judge's decision. I have already been in touch with one of the plantiff's attorneys to discuss my case and will be watching for the decision VERY closely.

It is shameful for James Hardie to say their ColorPlus paint job has a 15 year warranty, but when you have obvious fading over the entire house (and the entire house does not get direct sunlight), forget it. You are on your own. Shameful company. Stay away and don't end up with my problem and many others that are well documented.

Original review: June 22, 2017

We built our home in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 2002 using Hardie siding for the entire house. The house location is on a bluff over looking Cape Cod Bay. As such, the east winds bring in a lot of moisture and some salt air. We have had many winter nor'easters with winds of 60-90 miles/hr and with a lot of snow, sleet and rain. In the summer the weather is usually not hot, but there can be a lot of humidity. The Hardie siding was painted by our contractor and not at the factory.

We have been 100% satisfied with our siding. It has not cracked, disintegrated, peeled or been damaged in any way. Believe it or not, there has been absolutely NO need to repaint the siding -- it is as good as new. In contrast, the pine wood trim around the windows has been repainted every 4-5 years for windows facing the ocean needing to have the pine wood trim replaced with vinyl siding due to decay of the wood. I cannot explain why some other reviewers have had bad experiences with Hardie siding, but I am guessing that poor installation contributed to their problems.

Resolution response: June 11, 2017

Once I finally got the Hardie Company's attention, they have been very responsive. They sent an arbitrator to look at the siding and have offered a settlement. It's interesting to note, they continue to claim there is no fault with the product, but offered a quick settlement which leads one to wonder. We will have to fund a good part of the cost of repairs. Again, getting the process started and getting them to admit the fact that the finish was deteriorating was not easy. They have been much better recently. As long as the settlement check arrives...

Original review: May 8, 2017

Purchased and renovated a home in 2007-08. Used Hardie Board for the entire outside. It was installed as directed. WAS pleased - Solid, quiet, insulating. BUT the guaranteed applied paint/finish has started to deteriorate (April 2017) - Meaning just disappear completely - In a couple of spots. I have tried to file a warranty claim because I'm afraid it will continue. The Hardie Company has done everything they can possibly do to make filing the claim excruciating. My claim has "Been submitted for review" but I hold little hope. DO NOT purchase this product. The surface does not hold up as promised and the company should be working for law enforcement - They are fantastic at throwing up road blocks. I live in the mountains of VA, so the weather is not too extreme. Not as advertised and not supported.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Hardie plank cement board stands up best and looks good, also comes pre-painted. Hardie plank is an upgrade over vinyl siding and looks much better. Pretty easy to cut and install. However, should include the saw blade for cutting when ordering large amounts of siding. Could also have the trim pieces in hardieplank siding? Or maybe a wood product made to use for the siding? So far HardiePlank siding still looks good and cleans well using a pressure washer, didn't have to use any soap. Resists damage from pests. House looks good compared to vinyl.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I am very happy with my James Hardie. It was very easy to install. It has a very nice texture so when I was finished installing my siding it was easy and a pleasure to paint. It took the paint well and was easy to cover. I have pressure washed it a couple of times and it seems to be holding up very well so therefore I am very satisfied.

Original review: May 3, 2017

It was fairly easy to install and looked very nice once it was completed. It looks professional and you could never tell that I did the siding myself. It is also very easy to clean, a simply spray with the garden hose cleans it. However, it was a tad bit expensive and I am on a budget. It also does chip easily which for the price didn't make me very happy.

Original review: May 2, 2017

The siding is eco-friendly since it uses renewable source. It looks great almost like wood, easy to paint and paint lasts longer. My painters were very happy that I chose this siding. Also, it is made locally which is a bonus. But they could make some more options with premade colors and making the siding even more realistic. Other than that, it is easy to care for and definitely less easily damaged than wood and especially vinyl siding. I have had it for 6 years and haven't had to do anything to it. So my experience has been great.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I like the look and feel of James Hardie Siding and how it made my home look. It can withstand the cold weather we have here in the Chicago area, but I wish this would have been available at a lower cost. Other than that, it was a nice and welcome addition to my home and I would definitely do this again with them.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Hardie board does not fall apart. I have had to replace wood siding with this Hardie board and am very happy with it as it is very substantial and sturdy. It was more expensive than the wood siding I originally used but well worth it as there is no buckling like with the wood and not affected by humidity or rain and comes with base coat. Perhaps it could come already painted and maybe in more sizes too. So far it has not required cleaning. It resists any damage and also seems to resist bugs.

Original review: April 27, 2017

Easy to install with many choices of precolored siding and different patterns to choose from. Locally made in Plant City, Florida. The product lives up to its promises as being the natural looking siding with lifetime quality. Siding looks perfect on our house and will never have to worry about the product ever rotting out or getting termites in it. Also, the cleaning process is easy with a power washer. Would be proud to recommend this product for anyone.

Original review: April 26, 2017

It is easy to install and had a good price. I plan to buy and install it in future homes. Maintenance is easy to be done as well as cleaning. It looks fantastic. All the family like how it looks and functions. It is also durable and made of high quality. Everything worked great and in good condition. This is what I have been looking for to install and I would not consider other products instead of it. It is a highly recommended product.

Original review: April 25, 2017

We liked that it is very long lasting, very durable, and had a nice selection of colors. The pricing was well within our budget and we shopped around a lot of brands including discount wholesale stores. We also used matching Hardie board on our additional shed so that it would match the house and look just as good. So far we like everything about the siding. We shopped online for some pre-information and later shopped at a few stores and everything was just as it was represented online as far as value, price and looks. There were lots of colors to choose from which was a concern with some of the other brands because we wanted something that would blend well with our existing stucco on the front of the house. The siding has held up well to the elements. We can pressure wash it and it looks good as new. Also stands up to hurricane force winds with no problem.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I like that it's simple and straightforward to install. Also, it is nice that there are good power tools to work with it. All in all, it works well. It's keeps water away from the house and it is fairly tough. I only had two small complaints. First, a better way to seal the ends and joints would have been nice, but I can't think of any at the moment. The second issue I had was that since it is a type of cement product, the corners and edges were prone to crushing if I got a little too close to them with a nail and I guess it's not exactly a unique look. When I was done it had a really nice clean look. It painted well. It is easy to clean, but you have to make sure you never spray in an upward direction if you are using a pressure washer. Since it is cement it is pretty dang tough. It's pretty well resistant to dents and dings. If you do damage it though, it can be a real hassle to fix. No harder than most other systems, I suppose.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Quality was a priority for the makes of this product. Handsome, easy to clean, resists damage and was the type of product I was looking for and chose after much research into this industry. I love how my house look with this product in place and would use it again. They were helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was helped and knew how to do everything in order to make things work on this project. I was really pleased with the product and would recommend it to people seeking to do the same work on their house as this was a great product to use for the project I used it for.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Fiber cement is an excellent firm and good quality, long-term work, would never deteriorate. Something which is going to last - they did work on time and I am satisfied. However sometimes you see indifference of firm representatives to client specific customized desires. Excellent look - nice and tidy, looking perfect... No need to redo it. Looks like it is going to stay. James Hardie is prestigious firm and something which would guarantee result.

Original review: April 15, 2017

The insulation value of this product is superior to traditional vinyl siding yet it is still affordable. It looks much nicer than counterparts in its price range and is widely available. I live in Southwestern Ontario so we see a swing from 30+ degree summers to -30 winters. After 3 winters installed there is no visible wear to the siding. I haven't had to do more than spot clean. Rain seems to keep it looking good. How it looks is one of my favourite things. I would have liked to purchase it in a bolder colour (royal blue or fire engine red). But this is not exclusive to the James Hardie brand. Most siding only comes in more neutral shades.

Original review: April 14, 2017

The quality was really good for the price of everything and it had a good colour selection as well. I think the siding made my house look really nice after everything was completed. I liked how it was waterproof and the quality was only great. I got really good customer service which really helped me out through the whole thing. If everything was cheaper that would be good too but everything was good.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I like its durability and low maintenance. Also like the factory done colour options makes it an easy sell to clients. Less work for me to install and also like all the different patterns and sizes it comes in. Like the look, easy to clean and timeless and very low maintenance. Once it's installed I know I can leave the project and won't be called back for repairs. But it is hard to fasten using staple gun making a bit of a slow process. Maybe there should be an easier install methods provided by Hardie as roofing nails take too long and the staple gun is inconsistent.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I like the durability and quality of the product. It looks very nice and gets a lot of compliments from the neighbors. They had so many different colors and options to choose from which made it nice. It looks great and has held up well through the seasons of different weather. It's not difficult to clean or maintain. The color has not faded, looks like day 1. The cost was kind of expensive but worth it in the long run. Nice quality comes at a cost, but it won't need replaced for quite some time. It's a good feeling knowing that I don't have to think about that for a while.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

My bucket list included restoring a very old house we have on our country place. I did it myself, rank amateur, I chose HardiePlank. I watched a few siding companies install it and that was my lesson. It's been 16 years since I put it up AND it's still there. I used Sherwin-Williams paint. No warping, dissolving or whatever.

The home is 100 miles West of Houston and there is humidity, rain, droughts, and intense sun in the summer. I wrapped the house in traditional tar paper. Every three feet I put a 1X6 vertically to attach the plank to. This left a dead air space for added insulation. The hot air rises from the bottom to top naturally and out the attic. Used a digital thermometer to check temp. West outside wall in July measured 115 degrees. Drywall inside approximately 5 inches away from outside spot was 75 degrees. Used R12 in west wall as the sun goes down that way. Only regret is I wished I'd used 2X6 for studs on the west wall. Enjoy your success James H, you earned it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I first installed Factory painted Hardie plank lap siding in 1990. I am a licensed contractor of 30-plus years and unfortunately I resided six houses and an apartment complex with James Hardie ColorPlus lap siding, all of which failed due to thin, inexpensive, improperly applied factory paint. This product is not suitable for any climate - I installed 12,000 square feet in Boulder Colorado at 6000 feet altitude, dry climate failure, Omaha, Nebraska wet climate, humid just like Louisiana and Georgia in the summertime, failure.

On the Boulder Colorado job a representative from the factory in Fort Collins came out and dumped the air tanks on my compressors and yelled and screamed not to shoot FN water into my product. When you compress air it will condense moisture inside the tanks and they are dumped daily by any professional worth his salt. That was the last time I used the pre-painted product. It comes on pallets with individual mylar film protecting each panel and even in that dry climate covered thoroughly and completely every evening the next day through capillary action the siding would be wet. Within for 3 or 4 days it started to stink from bacterial growth.

Every one of the ColorPlus jobs had to be primed with a Killz primer, thoroughly caulked and painted with Sherwin-Williams super paint. My commercial clients still specify this product, I will only bid jobs for unprimed raw material which I can thoroughly seal prime and use an high quality paint to finish. As long as you completely watertight the entire installation from Foundation to Roofing you will have no problems.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

We first had our Hardie siding installed 10 years ago by a local contractor. After less than 5 years, we had several places that began to peel. I called the contractor and they said it was not their issue, so I wrote to Hardie with photos and after a short period of time, they sent out a representative. Two gentlemen from Hardie did come out to inspect the problem and sent out a shipment of new siding for the places that were peeling. They did explain that it was initially installed incorrectly so they did the necessary repairs and we added gutters, etc. that were missing. Well, it has been just 5 years and we are having the same problem, peeling of the finish! It looks horrible and we will have to repair before we move. I hesitate to contact Hardie again after reading all of the posted problems. My husband will never recommend this product and should there be a class action, I will gladly participate.

James Hardie Siding expert review by ConsumerAffairs

James Hardie Industries Ltd. manufactures concrete fiber siding. The company has roots going back to 1888 and is headquartered in Ireland. Hardie products are available in Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, the Philippines and the United States.

• Material: James Hardie siding is made of concrete fiber, which is specifically designed to withstand the effects of weather and temperature changes. This material is not attractive to any pests, so it will not be damaged by termites, woodpeckers or other animals.

• Fire resistance: James Hardie siding is not combustible; therefore, it won’t add fuel to a fire. It slows down fires that start outside the home, giving residents additional time to evacuate. Many insurance companies offer a discount on homeowners policies if the home has James Hardie siding.

• ColorPlus® Technology: Consumers can choose to have their siding finished with a paint with ColorPlus® Technology before it is delivered to them. This manufacturer applies the paint to all surface areas and warranties it against peeling, chipping or cracking for 15 years.

• Free sample: Interested consumers can visit the James Hardie website to request free samples of the company’s siding. They can receive three samples in the colors and textures of their choice.

• Weather barrier: The company also manufactures HardieWrap weather barriers. This product creates an additional barrier between the home’s interior and exterior. Weather barriers help keep out moisture and improve insulation.

• Best for: anyone looking for long-lasting siding.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs