2.55/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

James Hardie Siding

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

66 James Hardie Siding Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I got the siding installed in 2014 and very happy about it. It is strong. The material is not expensive, but installation is labor intensive. Their instructions are over 100 pages. And seems that every time when they get notified of problems in the field, they modify the manual. Guess it is their way of reducing warranty costs. The fact is the material cost is almost the same as Masonite which is made of paper. And Masonite can last over 30 years with proper painting etc. So if the installer put them on not 100% correct, I think it will still last 50 years, I put a small scrap piece in a bucket of water for months, and no damage. Local Lowe's put a piece in a bottle of water for years, and ok.

Hardie does not allow any faucets, electric box, electric outlets, cable box, roof shingles, wood deck touch the siding, so had to build a PVC frame around all of these. PVC can touch the siding. So more work. My installer painted all the cut edges. But they did not paint the edges at the wall corners claiming the caulking would protect it, and that was how they were taught in Hardie classes. So I called to meet the local Hardie rep. Very aggressive person, claiming he took care of the whole New England, and that was the right way. Did not want to fight with him, just paid some cash to the installer, asked him to paint the edges. Then called James Hardie factory. And they said the guy was wrong, would called him to straighten him out. All the cut edges, the installer painted them. But the edges at the corner where they would

Original review: June 21, 2019

Installed James Hardie on my 24x40' garage I built and the product seems to be handling the Colorado elements rather well. I plan on using JH siding on my house come this summer as well. Seems like most of the problems everyone is having is from improper installation and ordering the color plus technology crap. I painted everything with Sherwin Williams emerald plus paint. They have 40% off sales 3-4 times a year. I'm pretty positive this siding and paint will last for another 13 years, no problem. Good luck!

Get expert buying tips about Siding delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My sister and I just bought a new house and discovered there was rot. Our only option was to do siding. We had a certified installer put in James Hardie Siding and the transformation is amazing. I recommend James Hardie Siding for a complete new face to your house that will last.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

For those of you having the same fading problems with this siding, fight back! Keep sending your information to the warranty department. Don't stop. Find the information for the head of the company and send it to them again and again. This company is putting out a horrible product with the ColorPlus paint job and they will deny any claim no matter how you document it or how many pictures you send them. Fight back and keep sending it in.

Original review: July 16, 2019

The ColorPlus Hardie plank has a 15 year warranty. After 5 years the paint started fading everywhere - sun shid and shade side. We sent in proof of purchase, tax bills, purchase agreement for our home, and the requested three photos. The warranty was rejected because it was normal. We were reminded that if we painted over the Hardie plank the entire warranty was voided. This must be for the 30 year warranty on the boards, since the paint warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Hardie Siding?

Original review: June 23, 2019

Whole house has siding shrinkage and is causing leaks. Warranty is a lie in my opinion!! They do not support their product and do not care about their customers. They are extremely rude to work with and I regret buying a house with this siding.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This is a terrible company. Putting out junk. Do not use Hardiebacker board for tile. It was the most ridiculous hard to install tile backer board I have ever used in my life. If they were based in the United States there would be lawsuits filed on them.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We had our home re-sided in the fall of 2012 using a combo of Hardie shingles and plank. We had a hail storm in June of this year that devastated this area of Colorado - over $35,000 in damage to our home, close to $18,000 to our car and truck and $0 to our Hardie siding. Not a mark, my parents home required extensive work and paint (not Hardie). More than pleased with one exception, at 6 years the siding is starting to “chalk” on east and south facing sides. I was hoping for 10 years before needing to paint. I know, this is the front range of Colorado but I believed the hype! Looks like paint next summer before the siding has a chance to take on water and begins to fail. Not the best outcome but the compliments about the look of our home says a lot.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Had ColorPlus siding installed on our home in 2010 to avoid having to paint. South side of house gets sun all day in Colorado, and is faded beyond belief after 8 yrs. Product sold with 30 year guarantee. No way will anyone from James Hardie address the issue. They won't even come out without a tedious process of submitting pictures, forms, etc to them. Such poor customer service and such a poor product. Extremely dissatisfied. Will not ever recommend this siding to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

After my house was impacted by fire, I was convinced by my contractor to upgrade my siding from the original vinyl to James Hardie Siding. It was the biggest mistake of my life. You absolutely need a certified installer as there are many subtle installation errors that will not only void the warranty, but cause the siding to become unsightly very fast. Despite the company's attempt to convey the product as a premium material with strength and beauty, it is the exact opposite. My siding contractor read the instructions but was reluctant to spend the time painting all of the cut edges that obviously removes the critical paint and allows an area for water to be absorbed. The the fact that there is fiber in the fiber cement is why it loves to soak up water. My contractor actually tried to fool me by painting all the seams after it was installed. It's that big of a pain.

After the contractor did this (other things) I caught him and he walked off the job with the siding job incomplete. He couldn't make any money because the time and diligence to do it correctly was extremely high. I had six other contractors tell me that they would not complete the job because James Hardie is very particular to put up and it would be easier to rip off and replace rather than fix. Also, even when it is finished, you need to caulk and paint the product.

This unfinished siding sat on my house and became an extreme eyesore in the neighborhood for 7 long additional months. I finally did the right thing and installed a very durable vinyl. It looks great. Beware of the extremely high cost of installation, the need for certified installers, inability to fix problems, the large susceptibility to water (which is it they require such care to install), the need to caulk and paint (which is very expensive) and the periodic maintenance required. This stuff is all Hype. Don't be fooled. It added a lot of stress to my life and cost me a lot of money.

James Hardie Siding expert review by ConsumerAffairs

James Hardie Industries Ltd. manufactures concrete fiber siding. The company has roots going back to 1888 and is headquartered in Ireland. Hardie products are available in Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, the Philippines and the United States.

• Material: James Hardie siding is made of concrete fiber, which is specifically designed to withstand the effects of weather and temperature changes. This material is not attractive to any pests, so it will not be damaged by termites, woodpeckers or other animals.

• Fire resistance: James Hardie siding is not combustible; therefore, it won’t add fuel to a fire. It slows down fires that start outside the home, giving residents additional time to evacuate. Many insurance companies offer a discount on homeowners policies if the home has James Hardie siding.

• ColorPlus® Technology: Consumers can choose to have their siding finished with a paint with ColorPlus® Technology before it is delivered to them. This manufacturer applies the paint to all surface areas and warranties it against peeling, chipping or cracking for 15 years.

• Free sample: Interested consumers can visit the James Hardie website to request free samples of the company’s siding. They can receive three samples in the colors and textures of their choice.

• Weather barrier: The company also manufactures HardieWrap weather barriers. This product creates an additional barrier between the home’s interior and exterior. Weather barriers help keep out moisture and improve insulation.

• Best for: anyone looking for long-lasting siding.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs