2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

4.1/5 (238 ratings)

About Island Recreational

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Island Recreational Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I asked the salesman for the HEAVY Weight cover. He charged me close to $200 for item IDZ 2244. When I got home & compared it to the last cover purchased from you about 3 years ago, I realized that I had paid 50% more, but the new cover was half the weight.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

First I went to Deer Park and ordered a solar system for pool. They said we'll call you when it comes in. 2 weeks later no call so I called. They said Medford had one. Went and got it. Same day went to Deer Park and walked in the store. They were all over the place. I let that go. Sept 14 I went and bought a pool cover in Deer Park. There was nobody on the floor to help. They were waiting for people to come into work. Really. Left there and went to Massapequa. As soon as we went in a gentleman helped us gave a price no problem.He said the cover would be tomorrow which would be the 18th. Here it is 3 weeks later and I still don't have a cover. Customer service sucks in this store. I can't understand how and why a compass big as they are they treat their customers like this. Don't go it's not worth it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I went into Island Recreational, interested in getting a pool. I was sent to find a red shirt, luckily I found salesman, Nick **. He began asking questions about what I was looking for and telling me about the different materials and options I had. Instead of the usual pushy salesman persona, Nick was very helpful and actually told me it's a big decision and he would take a little while to decide also. He got me to a price I wanted with the options I wanted. Left happy and I now have a great pool on the way for next summer!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

Pool liner was in need of repair. Purchase a new replacement inner from Island Recreational (Matt). Installation of replacement liner was perform by Brian and other two days later. Brian and other person show up on time, very professional, knowledgeable, install new liner, clean up old liner and debris. Provide instructions on how to fill up pool and proper maintenance of liner.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

Three weeks prior answered an ad for a pool closing. Clerk insisted the price was more than advertised. Called office - problem resolved without having to spend more. Was told I did not have to be home for closing but to leave cover and ball by the pool. Did so. Pool closing did not happen. No good excuse was given. Had to wait another week until today. Pool closing did not happen again. "Kemp" stated that the tech said items are missing and cover is torn. All lies. Was told I have to wait another week. Asked for a refund and was told I have to wait for that as well. Not sure what to do at this point.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I just want to thank the Island Recreational team for their great service and commitment to excellence. I recently purchased a new above ground pool for an unbeatable price. My whole family enjoyed this summer and it is simply great. Thanks Island Recreational, you have made our dream come true.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2015

I'm happy with the Blue Torrent pool pump that you sold to me.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I called yesterday at 10:20 AM and spoke to customer service representative regarding a filter that they were selling at your warehouse clearance. The guy told me which filter they had and which one I should buy for the size of my pool. He said the guy from the Massapequa store would call me in about 15-30 minutes. After about one hour I called back and said he never called. He told me that he would email (or contact) the store and tell the guy to put the filter on the side so I could buy it. I offered to purchase it right then but he said I had to deal with the store. I received no call and today I went to the Massapequa store. The guy there told me they have no record of my call, that I could buy the filter at full price but then said he had none in stock. I have been buying from your store for years, left because of certain issues and then said let me give them a try again.

I walked out of the store after the guy basically called me a liar that I called yesterday and this is not how it works. So I left the store, called the 516-520-1860 number again. Today's customer agent told me he could not tell me what Medford had in stock and what was available but I had to drive to Medford to see if you really had a filter on sale or one even available. This is a disgrace - how they treat your customers. It looks like they just put things in the paper and then tell people you don't have it or just ran out of it when you arrive.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

We were told this was the best price we were going to get. Went to another store and they beat our price by $500. When we went back to get our deposit they gave us the runaround for a couple weeks and then finally gave us our refund.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I have dealt with Island Rec for several years. Each time leading up to some problem. I normally do not write reviews but I must say I am completely satisfied with the level of service I have reviewed at the Deer Park location. Eric and William well are getting it right. Their phone system 516-520-1860 and corporate customer service is the worst in the business and has been for decades.

However, when I walk into the store it's like night and day. People that actually know what they are talking about and are pleasant to talk to. We had a severe water problem for two months that manager Eric helped us resolve. Each time we walk into the store he remembers exactly what we talk about the previously time. His staff is well trained and overall great kids. Rose is exceptional. I know this company gets a lot of complaints and I have seen people get irrational over petty things but keep going in the direction. Your true customers appreciate it. So, Thank you Island Rec for finally making good decisions.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

Island Recreational is misleading the public by placing ads and then not having the merchandise in stock. They give you a rain check and you must come again and again to see if it arrived. They will not notify anyone and you cannot call and see if the sale items are in stock. Very poor service in today's information world. I don't trust the company and minimized my purchases there.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I opened my in-ground pool late in the season and when I went in Island Recreational with my dirty pool water to be tested, the store manager was very patient and courteous and took the time to show me all I needed to get my pool up and running. He even got me great discount on store products. Thank you very much.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

They are the worst when it comes to dealing with customer, keep on lying on their promise date, never fulfill your order. Will never recommend any friends or family.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

Great prices compared to other stores. Have all the right parts for your pool. Been going to them for years and years. Never disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

A pleasure shopping in store, great values on almost everything, and love that there is always a sale or customer appreciation with the bar codes that get sent to the house. Very happy with Island Recreational over stores like Leslie's Pool Supplies etc.

Resolution response: Aug. 17, 2015

It was not easy getting a hold of someone who could help, but once I did they immediately resolved the issue.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

In August of 2014 I bought an expensive pool heater and received a Splash Bucks Card with $400 to use in the store. I was told the card was good for a year once it was activated. I was told the expiration date of the card would be August 15, 2015. I used about $350 of the value and each time I made a purchase I would try to confirm the expiration date, but the store manager told me he cannot get that information. The back of the card actually says "When you make a purchase with your Splash Bucks Card, your receipt will show remaining balance and expiration date." This is a lie, the receipt does not show the expiration date, at least not from the Franklin Square store.

When I went to use the remaining $50 on my Splash Bucks Card the cashier told me it was gone. When I asked for information about it they told me to call the number on the card. When I called the number on the card they said to go to the store. Finally they both gave me an email info@islandrecreational.com and told me to direct it to Pete and he could help me out. I sent an email last week and still have no response and the expiration date I was originally told is in 2 days so it looks like I am out the $50.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

I bought a pool heating cover from your Deer Park store. I went to buy a specific brand, but I was offered to buy this cover as it would be better for my pool. The lady also told me that I have 7 days to return. I tried the cover, but it does not do anything for my gunite pool. I went to return to the store where I met IRSEAL (a manager a believe) who told me that the pool cover could not be returned. I mentioned the whole conversation with the sales rep but would not listen and told me to call 516 number, which I did. So here I am after all that, I am stuck with a $170.00 worth of plastic that I could have bought from hardware store for $10. I must say that this was a horrible experience to say the least and I am hoping NO ONE EXPERIENCES what I did. STAY AWAY from this place.

Original review: July 29, 2015

Island Recreational Pools were in the local area, I've stopped in a couple of times and went from there as they were convenient and pretty helpful. Purchasing was pretty easy. When I got my liner, they gave me a $200 gift card. They said it wasn't available but said that I can come anytime, give them my name and it will be on file - I did and it worked. Their installation team come over and they ask me what I want, sometimes they make suggestions. Everything went pretty smoothly and efficiently.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 24, 2015

I always shop at Island Recreational Pools and Supplies to get anything I need. But this time my purchasing experience was very difficult. First of all, when they give me the modem they didn't tell me it is digital. My husband don't know nothing about digital and I'm not good with it too. They just tell me the savings - that’s no good. They shouldn't sell me this. My pool did a green and they don't want to help. They said, “Just call in a service and they will help you.”

They have a law, they did not take in anything which is bad. If the people are not happy they should take it back. Any store you go, if it’s 14 days - you buy it, you're not happy you can return it. One time I have some problem with the cupboard, they never take it back when they gave me a wrong size. I'll go to another pool service that gives me better service.

Original review: July 22, 2015

I got Island Recreational because it was close to the house and people who used their services before me never complained. From the time I started with them, I've been surprised throughout the years. I was spending about $300 to $400 a season on the pool. I bought everything from the liner protect so I wouldn't scratch the liner, the proper pH. I'm a chemical engineer so I was anal enough as it is with my water, but I was very, very, very concerned with fading.

There was a little rust spot on the first pool I get after 10 years. I had explained to them that when they take the pool liner out, I'm gonna reinforce it with aluminum and it will be fine. But the Island & Recreational guy comes to the house tried to fix it - he took the side of the pool and put a foot-size hole in it. Now I got a buy a new pool.

Hence I buy a new pool. First, in the paper it said $595 for installation. $2,300 later, it's installed. I told them to not give me a tight-fitting liner because there's gonna be ice (due to the weather in our neighborhood), it's gonna hit under the waterline and rip the liner. They all told me I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. Guess what happened? The liner ripped and I had to buy a new liner! (One guy at least gave me a free hose, but the hose was only worth $4. But the point is that he did something! He didn't stand idly like the other guys used to.) After they ripped the liner, instead of me watching them work, I stayed on top of the guy and told him to make the pool flushed against the wall. We filled the pool with water within the course of four days. Now I finally have a right pool after 10 years.

Don't even let me start on the chemicals. I used to buy the clarifier by the case. One day I decided to do a pH test on the pool water to see if what I am buying is really a clarifier because my water is not blue. It turned out to be 73% color dye. I got pissed off. I called the management and all of a sudden, things were changed. Now the other chemicals they have now have a shelf life of a week - they don't last. So we're paying top dollar for what we think is gonna work, then you go to Walmart and you buy the HTH and theirs last three weeks to a month! Hence, I stopped buying stuff from there.

Island Recreational has had bad management before - they were not nice to people and that turned me off. But the last two years they've shaped up to the point where I got interested to purchasing things again 'cause I didn't feel ripped off or pushed. Their people nowadays are fantastic. As far as customer service, it doesn't need improvement this year. In fact, I'd recommend them now because of their fantastic manager Eric. Their products are now placed correctly, too. (I used to complain that they have to get some chemicals away from those that are gonna start fires.)

Original review: July 16, 2015

We have known about Island Recreational for years. I bought stuff from them, and a friend of mine used to work there. Purchasing is easy but what they advertise and what actually happens are two different things. The have a lot of advertising to bring you in there and then it's not as what they say. For example, they say that the pool pump is free. So I pay them $778, and I got a rebate of $350, then they give you a store credit for $350. So, it's not really free. Instead, they should say that it includes a store credit of $350. If you paid them, that's not free.

I also have an in ground pool, and they installed a variable speed pump that I had trouble with. The guy that set it up, set it up wrong and it took me about three days until we straightened it up. They kept wanting me to bring the pump in. I said, "Listen, I'm handicapped. I'm in a wheelchair. My wife is handicapped. I had to pay somebody to drive me over to the pool and spend the money to buy it. Why don't you just send the guy back who installed it?" Well they didn't.

Finally on Sunday, I got my grandson over here and we spoke to one of the guys at Island Recreation and he helped us reprogram. But evidently the guy who installed it didn't program it right. So now, I got trouble with the Aquabot. It worked twice. My son cleaned the bag and put it back in and it wouldn't work. I noticed that at the bottom of the Aquabot, the bag was hanging out. So I resealed it, but I don't know if it works.

A lot of times, they do a two for one and then I find out that they've jacked the prices up. I'm handicapped and have no more income so, I watch my dollar, and I'm very conscious about spending money. They used some deceptive advertising, but they have all the good equipment. Also, the people that work there are nice. I am satisfied with Island Recreational.

Original review: July 14, 2015

Island Recreational installed my pool the first time and did the replacement of our ripped liner this time around. They were very educated on everything. The one complaint that I had was that when I went back to the store for my parts that I ordered, they sent me to Massapequa from Deer Park. Still would absolutely recommend Island Recreational.

No response received
Original review: July 7, 2015

We purchased a pool from them and most recently a filter. Purchasing with Island Recreational has been better and happier since they got rid of the club membership. My interaction with the sales and installation teams has been fine.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I have been going to Island Recreational Pools and Supplies since I was young. I got a pool from them years ago. I also get chemicals and other pool supplies from them. Everything was good, no problems. The sales and installation teams were great. They are professional. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I would like to thank your manager ** who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He took the time to work with me. I have to be honest. I have had problems in the past but figured I would give it a try again. ** has convinced me to remain an Island Recreational customer. Be assured that we will be back.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: June 25, 2015

I needed a pool liner replacement. They said it was no cost and I eventually had to pay 400$. They placed the liner in a slant and it bunches up in areas. When I called to have it fixed, they offered my husband 50$. I continued to call for 5 days. They had me send pictures for 3 days and always claimed not to receive them. Installation was 6/17 - today is 6/25.. no one has even reached out to me.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Island Recreational Pools and Supplies were closer to us and cheaper than anybody else. I got from them anything I needed to open and manage the pool through the season. The purchase was easy and I've had no problems with both their sales and installation team, which were pretty good.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 20, 2015

They had me disconnect my old heater and disable my pool filter before they would come to install a new heater. They cancelled out on two separate appointments two hours after the appointment window. I had called multiple times during the week because my pool quality was rapidly degrading. They couldn't have cared less. The WORST customer service. And I still have no heater, my pool is overgrown with algae now.

Original review: June 19, 2015

Bought a Blue Torrent Pool Pump last fall from them. Store was great. Eager to sell me. Once I paid the bill, it was like pulling teeth to get service. Service man showed up and told me I needed new LED screen on pump. Said he order it. Manager has been called 3 times. Not got it yet. I have no manual and have asked for one. Again do not have one. Every time I speak to other pool service people, they laugh, and ask where I got pump. Each told me that I got rooked and it's normal for Island Recreational to do that. I'll never buy another large dollar item there again.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: June 17, 2015

Bought pump from island recreational in Medford. Already on my third pump. Still not working correctly. This has been going on since April. Nothing works like we the manual says. Service man has been here three times already. Tells me everything is ok. That's how it runs. Basket doesn't fill up and can't program anything correctly. Told don't go by manual. Has setting for AM / PM and 24 hour clock. Was told I can't use AM / PM. Have to use 24 hr clock.

Island Recreational Company Information