2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

Currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New York

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5

Island Recreational offers a variety of pools, spas and quality supplies to suit your needs. With customer service being a top goal, we strive to provide our customers with care and maintenance advice through our White Glove Pool Service. We currently service Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island. We pride ourselves in the best selection at the best prices and are happy to answer any questions you have on your new products and supplies.

Island Recreational Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Island Recreational?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

Great prices compared to other stores. Have all the right parts for your pool. Been going to them for years and years. Never disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

A pleasure shopping in store, great values on almost everything, and love that there is always a sale or customer appreciation with the bar codes that get sent to the house. Very happy with Island Recreational over stores like Leslie's Pool Supplies etc.

Resolution response: Aug. 17, 2015

It was not easy getting a hold of someone who could help, but once I did they immediately resolved the issue.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

In August of 2014 I bought an expensive pool heater and received a Splash Bucks Card with $400 to use in the store. I was told the card was good for a year once it was activated. I was told the expiration date of the card would be August 15, 2015. I used about $350 of the value and each time I made a purchase I would try to confirm the expiration date, but the store manager told me he cannot get that information. The back of the card actually says "When you make a purchase with your Splash Bucks Card, your receipt will show remaining balance and expiration date." This is a lie, the receipt does not show the expiration date, at least not from the Franklin Square store.

When I went to use the remaining $50 on my Splash Bucks Card the cashier told me it was gone. When I asked for information about it they told me to call the number on the card. When I called the number on the card they said to go to the store. Finally they both gave me an email info@islandrecreational.com and told me to direct it to Pete and he could help me out. I sent an email last week and still have no response and the expiration date I was originally told is in 2 days so it looks like I am out the $50.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

I bought a pool heating cover from your Deer Park store. I went to buy a specific brand, but I was offered to buy this cover as it would be better for my pool. The lady also told me that I have 7 days to return. I tried the cover, but it does not do anything for my gunite pool. I went to return to the store where I met IRSEAL (a manager a believe) who told me that the pool cover could not be returned. I mentioned the whole conversation with the sales rep but would not listen and told me to call 516 number, which I did. So here I am after all that, I am stuck with a $170.00 worth of plastic that I could have bought from hardware store for $10. I must say that this was a horrible experience to say the least and I am hoping NO ONE EXPERIENCES what I did. STAY AWAY from this place.

Original review: July 29, 2015

Island Recreational Pools were in the local area, I've stopped in a couple of times and went from there as they were convenient and pretty helpful. Purchasing was pretty easy. When I got my liner, they gave me a $200 gift card. They said it wasn't available but said that I can come anytime, give them my name and it will be on file - I did and it worked. Their installation team come over and they ask me what I want, sometimes they make suggestions. Everything went pretty smoothly and efficiently.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: July 24, 2015

I always shop at Island Recreational Pools and Supplies to get anything I need. But this time my purchasing experience was very difficult. First of all, when they give me the modem they didn't tell me it is digital. My husband don't know nothing about digital and I'm not good with it too. They just tell me the savings - that’s no good. They shouldn't sell me this. My pool did a green and they don't want to help. They said, “Just call in a service and they will help you.”

They have a law, they did not take in anything which is bad. If the people are not happy they should take it back. Any store you go, if it’s 14 days - you buy it, you're not happy you can return it. One time I have some problem with the cupboard, they never take it back when they gave me a wrong size. I'll go to another pool service that gives me better service.

Original review: July 22, 2015

I got Island Recreational because it was close to the house and people who used their services before me never complained. From the time I started with them, I've been surprised throughout the years. I was spending about $300 to $400 a season on the pool. I bought everything from the liner protect so I wouldn't scratch the liner, the proper pH. I'm a chemical engineer so I was anal enough as it is with my water, but I was very, very, very concerned with fading.

There was a little rust spot on the first pool I get after 10 years. I had explained to them that when they take the pool liner out, I'm gonna reinforce it with aluminum and it will be fine. But the Island & Recreational guy comes to the house tried to fix it - he took the side of the pool and put a foot-size hole in it. Now I got a buy a new pool.

Hence I buy a new pool. First, in the paper it said $595 for installation. $2,300 later, it's installed. I told them to not give me a tight-fitting liner because there's gonna be ice (due to the weather in our neighborhood), it's gonna hit under the waterline and rip the liner. They all told me I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. Guess what happened? The liner ripped and I had to buy a new liner! (One guy at least gave me a free hose, but the hose was only worth $4. But the point is that he did something! He didn't stand idly like the other guys used to.) After they ripped the liner, instead of me watching them work, I stayed on top of the guy and told him to make the pool flushed against the wall. We filled the pool with water within the course of four days. Now I finally have a right pool after 10 years.

Don't even let me start on the chemicals. I used to buy the clarifier by the case. One day I decided to do a pH test on the pool water to see if what I am buying is really a clarifier because my water is not blue. It turned out to be 73% color dye. I got pissed off. I called the management and all of a sudden, things were changed. Now the other chemicals they have now have a shelf life of a week - they don't last. So we're paying top dollar for what we think is gonna work, then you go to Walmart and you buy the HTH and theirs last three weeks to a month! Hence, I stopped buying stuff from there.

Island Recreational has had bad management before - they were not nice to people and that turned me off. But the last two years they've shaped up to the point where I got interested to purchasing things again 'cause I didn't feel ripped off or pushed. Their people nowadays are fantastic. As far as customer service, it doesn't need improvement this year. In fact, I'd recommend them now because of their fantastic manager Eric. Their products are now placed correctly, too. (I used to complain that they have to get some chemicals away from those that are gonna start fires.)

Original review: July 16, 2015

We have known about Island Recreational for years. I bought stuff from them, and a friend of mine used to work there. Purchasing is easy but what they advertise and what actually happens are two different things. The have a lot of advertising to bring you in there and then it's not as what they say. For example, they say that the pool pump is free. So I pay them $778, and I got a rebate of $350, then they give you a store credit for $350. So, it's not really free. Instead, they should say that it includes a store credit of $350. If you paid them, that's not free.

I also have an in ground pool, and they installed a variable speed pump that I had trouble with. The guy that set it up, set it up wrong and it took me about three days until we straightened it up. They kept wanting me to bring the pump in. I said, "Listen, I'm handicapped. I'm in a wheelchair. My wife is handicapped. I had to pay somebody to drive me over to the pool and spend the money to buy it. Why don't you just send the guy back who installed it?" Well they didn't.

Finally on Sunday, I got my grandson over here and we spoke to one of the guys at Island Recreation and he helped us reprogram. But evidently the guy who installed it didn't program it right. So now, I got trouble with the Aquabot. It worked twice. My son cleaned the bag and put it back in and it wouldn't work. I noticed that at the bottom of the Aquabot, the bag was hanging out. So I resealed it, but I don't know if it works.

A lot of times, they do a two for one and then I find out that they've jacked the prices up. I'm handicapped and have no more income so, I watch my dollar, and I'm very conscious about spending money. They used some deceptive advertising, but they have all the good equipment. Also, the people that work there are nice. I am satisfied with Island Recreational.

Original review: July 14, 2015

Island Recreational installed my pool the first time and did the replacement of our ripped liner this time around. They were very educated on everything. The one complaint that I had was that when I went back to the store for my parts that I ordered, they sent me to Massapequa from Deer Park. Still would absolutely recommend Island Recreational.

No response received
    Original review: July 7, 2015

We purchased a pool from them and most recently a filter. Purchasing with Island Recreational has been better and happier since they got rid of the club membership. My interaction with the sales and installation teams has been fine.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I have been going to Island Recreational Pools and Supplies since I was young. I got a pool from them years ago. I also get chemicals and other pool supplies from them. Everything was good, no problems. The sales and installation teams were great. They are professional. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I would like to thank your manager ** who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He took the time to work with me. I have to be honest. I have had problems in the past but figured I would give it a try again. ** has convinced me to remain an Island Recreational customer. Be assured that we will be back.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: June 25, 2015

I needed a pool liner replacement. They said it was no cost and I eventually had to pay 400$. They placed the liner in a slant and it bunches up in areas. When I called to have it fixed, they offered my husband 50$. I continued to call for 5 days. They had me send pictures for 3 days and always claimed not to receive them. Installation was 6/17 - today is 6/25.. no one has even reached out to me.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Island Recreational Pools and Supplies were closer to us and cheaper than anybody else. I got from them anything I needed to open and manage the pool through the season. The purchase was easy and I've had no problems with both their sales and installation team, which were pretty good.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 20, 2015

They had me disconnect my old heater and disable my pool filter before they would come to install a new heater. They cancelled out on two separate appointments two hours after the appointment window. I had called multiple times during the week because my pool quality was rapidly degrading. They couldn't have cared less. The WORST customer service. And I still have no heater, my pool is overgrown with algae now.

Original review: June 19, 2015

Bought a Blue Torrent Pool Pump last fall from them. Store was great. Eager to sell me. Once I paid the bill, it was like pulling teeth to get service. Service man showed up and told me I needed new LED screen on pump. Said he order it. Manager has been called 3 times. Not got it yet. I have no manual and have asked for one. Again do not have one. Every time I speak to other pool service people, they laugh, and ask where I got pump. Each told me that I got rooked and it's normal for Island Recreational to do that. I'll never buy another large dollar item there again.

Original review: June 17, 2015

Bought pump from island recreational in Medford. Already on my third pump. Still not working correctly. This has been going on since April. Nothing works like we the manual says. Service man has been here three times already. Tells me everything is ok. That's how it runs. Basket doesn't fill up and can't program anything correctly. Told don't go by manual. Has setting for AM / PM and 24 hour clock. Was told I can't use AM / PM. Have to use 24 hr clock.

Original review: June 17, 2015

We purchased a pool filter and motor. The motor did not work and when my husband went to return it, they said he couldn't and would have to send it out for repair. After 40 minutes and some choice words, they finally gave my husband a new motor. After hooking that motor up again it didn't work. We went back to the store again and they refused to give us a refund. They said they cannot take it back because it was used. How can it not be used to see if it works. We had the manager of the store call corporate who said the manager of the store could make the decision to accept a return. The manager of the store refused and offered the worst customer service I have ever seen. Now I have to go to my credit card company to dispute the charge. Let it be known that it was only a $200 charge and we had already spent $500 in addition to that. I will never shop at Island Recreational ever again.

Original review: June 16, 2015

My husband (**) and I were in the Deer Park Store on Commack Road...and it is always a pleasure to shop there. **, the supervisor, used to be there (he was great too). Now ** is there as supervisor and and he is awesome...very knowledgeable, courteous, and makes you feel like he has your best interest at hand and not just trying to sell you something. And ** (customer service mgr) is delightful. She goes way out of her way to make sure you get the product you come for. She is truly a excellent customer service person. And **, cashier, was very pleasant and patient. Oh please, give them recognition. I tell everybody I know to come to this store to really be treated like a customer should be.

Original review: June 16, 2015

I've been using Island Recreational since we got a pool about ten years ago and they have done some very good and not so good jobs for us. At times they can be very helpful and very good. Other times it's a lot of kids that just work there for the summer that have no idea what they're talking about.

Original review: June 13, 2015

The guys at Island Recreational are very knowledgeable and nice. I always get my supplies there and have been going there for years. I like their service and would recommend them.

Original review: June 10, 2015

My Island Recreational experience has been good. The guy was able to get me an installation date faster than first projected.

Original review: June 9, 2015

Getting to the store to find what I needed was easy. The employees there came to see what I was looking for, and pointed to the right direction, and even gave advise on what I needed to use in my pool opening. Thank you, keep up the good job!!!

Original review: June 9, 2015

Too bad that pond fish have gone very much. I did most of my shopping there for it!

No response received
    Original review: June 8, 2015

No one knew when or if the items would be coming into the store. I couldn't contact the stores directly to see if any items arrived, only the call center which only knew of current inventory.

Original review: June 8, 2015

All coworkers were helpful and happy to do their jobs. They were also efficient.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I had an excellent time with Island Recreational. They did their job and told me what was right. I asked for something else, and they worked with their manager and got it for me.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: June 2, 2015

I purchased a new, energy-efficient pump from Island Recreational center in Medford. They came to install the pump and the technician said that he had to charge me $20 to put the old cord on the new pump so it could work. I agreed and gave him $20. Once he installed the pump, both fittings were leaking. He told me that he had to install a new fitting and it would cost me $20 (he said it was not included in the installation). He installed the fitting but the second fitting was also leaking, so he put teflon tape. I asked him to change the fittings and he said he had no more fittings in the truck and that the teflon tape would hold. He gave me his number and said to call him if there was any problems.

A few days later the pump was not drawing any water and fitting was leaking. I called him and left numerous messages and he never returned my call. Needless to say I bought new fittings and pipe and fixed the problem myself. This pump does not have the power like my old pump. Worst purchase I've made. Thinking of throwing out.

Original review: June 1, 2015

MUST READ THIS REVIEW! Thinking of going to Island Recreational for a pool, part, chemicals? DON'T!! I DEALT WITH BOTH LOCATIONS MASSAPEQUA AND DEER PARK. Bought a pool there, heard installers call up their manager telling him the ledges for the pool were no the correct ones. Manager on speaker said "make it fit." (I was inside looking out the window.) A month later, they started to warp. I called 10 times, issued complaints. What do they do? Issue me new ledges (the same ones.) As this is going on, pool started sinking to one side, they had to come empty the whole pool, reset it and I had to buy all chemicals again. 6 months later, these ledges started to warp, fighting with them for another 3 months they finally send me correct ledges but wanted me to pay for shipping!!!

After fighting they said no shipping charges... the screws around skimmer which are supposed to be rust proof, rusted, so if skimmer ever leaks (oh by the way skimmer was replaced once too.) Chemicals on sale at Island rec, hurry and get there before they are sold out. "Oh I left my coupon at home," well, they tell you they can't honor without coupon. After major fight, guess what? Cashier has coupon in their drawer!! Employees are nasty, attitudes from just about everyone. I have never had to deal with such bad customer service and incompetence. Went there, bought a sand filter, I asked the sales guy 3 times "are all adapters included?" He said yes. Hooked up sand filter, surprise it didn't come with adapter to hook up to pump!! Went there next day, told and showed him what I needed, female adapter, they gave me a male adapter instead. Shall we continue???

Now I'm back at Island rec, seems the pump they SOLD me with the pool is discontinued and they don't even have the parts. Response from both managers was you need to shop online and search for the part, there is nothing we can do for you, pump and parts for a pool you had not even 2 years are not available here. They sent me to pool tech in Farmingdale, who were extremely helpful. They said that island recreational sends everyone here when they don't want to do the research for their own customers!!! Wow, Island rec is still in business? Not when I'm done spreading the word... have a folder overfilled with my documents and phone calls. I showed this review to the manager in Massapequa on route 107, hicksville Road, he didn't even care. I told him just give me an equal value pump and I will delete review, he said there is nothing he could do for me... Again, epic customer service pal!! NOT.

Original review: June 1, 2015

I am not very fluent when it comes to pool knowledge and the sales representative (blanking on a name) was so patient and explained everything allowing me to make the best purchase that worked for me. Would recommend them to anyone!

Island Recreational Company Information