2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.79/5

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: July 6, 2020

Details: Purchased online directly from iRobot, total $734.74 12/17/19. I began experiencing problems with the auto-clean system almost immediately (January 2020). Contacted Customer Care in January via phone and was advised to clean the unit. Contacted and opened incident # ** February 21. Spent almost 2 hours cumulatively trying to troubleshoot the problem. This included sending my multiple pictures to the troubleshooting agent. Was repeatedly told (courteously) that the problem was my lack of cleaning and maintenance. My problems continued, I contacted again 3/2, 3/6, 3/11, 3/15, 3/17, 3/23, 3/24 (requested replacement), 3/27 (demanded replacement), 3/30, 4/22. iRobot finally concluded that the problem was a defective auto-clean base unit (not my lack of maintenance). However, they could not replace it because it was on back-order. I was sent a base charging unit until auto-clean unit available again. Replacement on back-order indefinitely.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I ordered replacement filters for my iRobot in May 2020 and have yet to receive them. I have called customer service twice over the last two weeks and they say they "are looking into it". Meanwhile, they will not refund my money or send me my filters. I understand that things can get lost in the mail, but other businesses I have purchased items from have always either re-sent the items or issued a refund. In my opinion this is very poor customer service.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I bought an iRobot 9s+ with cleaning base. However, when shipment came in, the clean base was missing. It’s been 5 months now and they still haven’t sort this out. This is the respond I got "This is anticipated to be back in stock within 4-8 weeks. The code will discount $100 from the base itself, thus rendering $250.00 in total credits between the credit back and the coupon for use with the Clean Base." However, that was back in March. They have stopped responding to me.

Original review: June 12, 2020

The roomba vacuums are great, but customer service is horrible. June 1st I ordered a battery, mine broke after a couple of years of use, it was back ordered so I waited. I called 4 weeks later to check on the status and was told it would ship today. I then get an email saying the order was canceled the same day I called for a status update. Confused I called back, they said they'd let me know when it was back in stock, and give me a discount. OK. Reasonable. I place my order and then find out it is being shipped to a town I have never heard of, in a state that is not mine. I did not type this in. How could I? I have never heard of it before the status update email. I reached out to iRobot and was told that I am out of luck and heavily implied that they did not believe my "story" (customer sales rep words). They suggested I call the local post office in that town/state. I called that post office and they said they returned the item to sender (iRobot).

I am now out $100 and have nothing to show for it and customer service is done helping me. I will be buying aftermarket from now on for replacement parts. Not worth the hassle and rudeness of the customer service. I never yelled, cursed, accused or anything, just tried to find solutions. I work with customer service at my job, I deal with back orders all the time, as well as wrong shipment details. I have never had the trouble I am having with iRobot.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Canadian buyers beware. No service maintenance for Roombas in Canada. I bought my Roomba 960 in Dec 2018 and it worked great until January 2020 (13 months - one month after warranty expired!!!). When I noticed it was not returning to its base for recharging.. So I simply assumed it was just running out of juice before it could make its way back..so I put in back on its home base and it recharged. I tried all the online fixes and nothing worked. In March Of 2020 it was having problems finding the docking station which was why its battery was dying. When I finally called Roomba’s service helpline they say the sensor needs replacement but that there is no Roomba service in Canada and no refurbished replacements. And nothing they could do for me. So I’m out of luck they said - after spending 1000. What terrible customer service. SAVE YOUR MONEY. - BUY CANADIAN.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I was super excited to receive the Roomba I755 as a gift. My husband paid $800 for this piece of junk. It was easy to get set up and get going. The problem is, it picks up dirt and redeposits. Basically, I have to get out my Shark after to clean up behind it. I called customer service and they did a video call, which I thought was a great way to evaluate. It didn’t even pick up the cereal I had thrown out for the demo. The agent said there is clearly an issue and they were going to send out a new cleaning head. I waited for a few weeks and nothing. I called back again and they said it never shipped and they sent a new one. We replaced it and same thing. I called back several times after and they kept telling me this needed to be escalated and they would call back. Crickets. I called back one more time and now they tell me it’s no longer eligible for refund because it’s been too long. Terrible!!! Buy a Shark!

Original review: May 11, 2020

I purchased an iRobot S9 and the irobot Braava jet M6 bundle online at irobot.com On 4/28/2020. After I paid using my credit card I was then informed, due to corona virus this will be back ordered. This was not a problem for me but now the fun begins! On Friday May 1st my husband gets temp laid off and his place of business closes due to corona virus. I called irobot Monday May 4th to inform them to cancel order since the items haven’t even been made yet, and credit card is holding money aside but hasn’t been paid. I was told a shipping label was made so I could not cancel. I was annoyed but accepted what the woman said from the call.

4 days later I get an email asking me to answer a survey and informing me that my items should arrive in around 15 days! Well, I call irobot back AGAIN, wait 45 min for a human and proceed to beg almost to please cancel this order since it is not made, hasn’t been shipped, credit card has not been charged yet! I was argued with and talked over, rudely repeated at me that a shipping label was already made! I asked for a supervisor/manager and her name and was hung up on!

So now it is May 11th, 2020 and my credit card has not been billed, but money is held aside for irobot, I have no products and I am not allowed to cancel order because a shipping label was made!! Beware!! Even during such a time of Corona virus, lay offs, hardship, stress and anxiety, irobot/Roomba will NOT allow you to cancel an order for ANY reason even if it still hasn’t shipped now for 13 days Or been paid because after all, they made a shipping label!! So now I have to pay the $20.00 ship charge and another $20.00. I’m sure to send it RIGHT BACK again!

Original review: April 27, 2020

This product is the worst of that family. I am not a person to write review for every product I buy. But iRobot Roomba s9+ is giving trouble each and every day after couple of months. I will never recommend this product to anyone. Waste of money and time. When you call customer service, they refuse to refund, only replace of this incompetent item. Hope someone help to fix it asap.

Original review: March 27, 2020

My husband bought me the IRobot Roomba 800 two Christmas’s ago. 11 months after purchase a “wheel housing” was causing constant errors and interfering with the scheduled daily activity. I contacted customer service and literally within 6 minutes was told, “No problem!” The product was still in warranty and they’d have a new one out to me and an email with a pdf to guide me through the wheel housing replacement. It took them 6 minutes for me to connect with a rep, explain the issue and be hanging up the phone confident that the replacement product would arrive at my house in short order. I LOVE my roomba & the customer service experience was so amazing. We ordered 3 roombas this past Christmas to give as gifts to family members. I cannot express how pleased I was and still am with the service and the products!

Original review: March 16, 2020

So this is the second Roomba for me as roomba replaced the first due to software glitch and poor performance. Why does it seem that it works perfectly for the first 6 mos and then after it’s non stop playing with it?? It’s getting stuck in places that I have already set for it not to go to. It doesn’t dock itself right to charge and it’s missing areas that it used to get before. I really am disappointed with the roomba product. I should have looked into other machines prior to dropping over $1100 in this thing. I would NOT recommend or buy this again.

iRobot author review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team