4.4/5 (63 ratings)

About Independent Home

Independent Home provides the highest-grade walk-in bathtubs on the market at the most affordable prices. We are a factory direct, family business that does everything under one roof. Our end-to-end business offers free consultations, product selection, installation, and service, all backed by a lifetime warranty. Purchase with confidence from Independent Home.

Pros

• Customizable models
    • Installation discounts
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Rain showerhead options

Cons

• Capacity may affect water heater
    • No online pricing

Bottom Line

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible options. The company offers many tub sizes, including bariatric models. Get an in-home consultation for a quote.

Top Independent Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I love my walk-in tub. My only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Salesman was great and very nice. He actually listened to my needs and didn't push anything on me. The installers ...

Verified

We called Independent Home and they came out and they discussed the product with us. ... The installation was wonderful. The crew came about 8:30 and they were finished with the j...

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy.

The company also makes walk-in shower options for places where a tub might not be the right fit due to customer preference or bathroom size limitations.

Independent Home’s walk-in tub models include a deep-soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home shower and tub seats are ADA-compliant, making for a safer and more comfortable shower or bath experience.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features including the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs:

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
    • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lowering a person into the bath.
    • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer relaxing components that help to invigorate and gently massage your body during a shower or bath.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Independent Home provides certified installers to install your walk-in tub. These installers come from multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. Installation specialists are experts in this field and usually average well over 500 installations completed.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each representative explains how to use the tub after they install it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they’re satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges widely (installation is included), but it varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades you select. Adding options like hydrotherapy increases price. Independent Home suggests calling to receive a free, customized quote for your walk-in tub or shower.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what’s required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub in your space. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation coupon on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQ

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
    Independent Home backs its tubs with a lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered for all components of your tub.
    What are Independent Home’s walk-in tub dimensions?
    Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 33 by 35 inches to 26 to 26 inches, with several other measurement options between. All the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub. Its website suggests calling to find out more about specific sizing.
    Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
    There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist through the company’s website. Independent Home manufactures its tubs at its headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, many customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Independent Home seemed like they were more responsible and less fly-by-night people. Also, the tub is guaranteed for life. Everybody that came through was good people, and they did the job good. They got here on time. It didn't take them very long to do the job. They did exactly what they said they would do. When they brought the tub in here, they set it up in my living room and had me get in it before so I would be satisfied with it. It was okay for what I needed it for. The guy that came after, where they had to cut the hole out of the wall, did an excellent job. I've hired him to do some other work for me. The only thing is that I’m a pretty big guy and the tub is a little tight for me. They could make it a little bit wider. But it’s okay. The bathtub is perfect. But the price is kinda high. A lot of people that need it could not afford it.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I had three people come out. Out of all three, the rep of Independent Home was the most pleasant. He was also very knowledgeable about their product, was willing to work with me as far as financing and understanding financing. It was a family effort to purchase the Independent Home for my mother and Independent Home went that extra mile in breaking down the different financing available to us. I also like their price.

The installers were also mindful of being in your house. I appreciated that. Although they look like they were littering the yard from the construction and the things they needed to do out in the yard to make the repairs, when they finished, they cleaned up. They even cleaned up in the bathroom to the best of their ability with what they had. They did what they needed to do to pick up all the dust they made from the sawing and drilling. When I came behind them, I had very little wipe up or mopping to do behind them.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have a lot of health issues so we started looking at walk-in tubs about two years ago. We looked at Safe Step and something that was local. Price-wise, they compared to Independent Home. But the quality wasn't there. Francis with Independent Home came out and walked us through things. He did measurements and got us approved. The whole experience was good. Our first tub that was supposed to come got damaged so we had to wait an extra two or three days for them to ship another one. Installers came when they said they would and they put in the walk-in tub in the two days like they said they would. They got it all together and it’s wonderful. But it would have been better if there had been some way for me to have gotten in and out of the tub before it was installed. But it was already in the house and set up before I got to try to get in it.

The tub can hold a 300-pound person and getting in and out of it would be easy for someone of that weight. That was why we went with Independent. At that time, I was 280 and my son was 120. Our Independent tub door opens to the inside and it’s close to the feet. We’re having to get up on the seat, which is very difficult for me, to get the door closed before we can take our bath and get it open in order to get out. I have slid twice and I have broken my toes. The tub is so little for me and it’s a nightmare. My son also slipped in it and broke the inside of his left foot. But my husband does fine with the tub and enjoys it. He takes his shower.

I called and spoke to someone named Nate. He was supposed to talk to the owner of the company to get back in touch with him yesterday but I haven’t heard anything yet. I put another call to Nate this morning and we still haven’t heard back as to what we can do to fix our issue. Overall, the product is great. I love to look at the tub and I love the space that it took up.

Independent Home response

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your kind recommendation and for choosing us for your project! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 15, 2021

I asked if there were certain amenities I can choose not to have and the Independent Home rep said no. I wasn't told there were different models. But I like the tub. It works great. I have the six water jets, the air jets and the light therapy as well as the aroma therapy. We might change the showerhead and get a little bit of better pressure on it. Also, we’ve been having some small problems with the surrounding stuff that was installed with tub and the way they had to fit the shelf in there. When the installer first put it in, the tub to the wall is about eight inches and we built a shelf there. But he built the shelf lower than the tub. So water would collect in that. It was about a half inch deep. So, I had a little tool, about six feet long, eight feet wide, and a half inch deep. I called and the guy put in another piece of masonry board in there. Then, he put another piece of surround on top and caulked it down.

We waited, like he said, two days before we used it. But I can go in there and I can push that little shelf down about a quarter of an inch. It's spongy. I don't know how he attached the surround to that masonry board. But right now, I've got a little bit of weight in there to try and keep it sealed. The first time he caulked as well, couple of spots shrinks a little bit as the caulk dries so some cracks showed up, and he filled them in. When he built that shelf again, when he caulked it and it dried and shrunk a little bit, some cracks showed up. So I'm caulking it myself again.

We're one of Independent Home’s younger customers because my wife is only 52 and I'm only 50. But we figured that it’s better to do it now while our minor inconveniences don't become ailments where it makes it so we have to have the walk-in tub. It's one of the better bangs for your buck. The only thing is to pay attention to some of the details and everything will be great. My wife loves it and even the teenagers are using the tub. It's like a spa treatment.

Original review: June 7, 2021

The gentleman who came here and talked to us was very nice. He took a lot of time with us and explained everything. I felt very comfortable with him. The installation was wonderful. Normally, there are two people but the guy who helps him got hurt. So, he tried to do it by himself. He worked hard and diligently all day long. It took him two days and he got it done. He did a wonderful job.

My husband has not been able to use the tub though. He fell and he's having difficulty as far as being able to get in and out still with his walking and his bending of his knees. But feature-wise, he will be fine like I am. I love it. I like that I can sit and wash my hair and not have to stand because I have rheumatoid arthritis and I can't stand for a long time. I like everything about the tub and I have no complaints. The reps were very professional and I recommended Independent Home to my cousin who is considering having a tub put in her house. You’re choosy about what you recommend to family because you will never hear the end of it but I've recommended them.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The main reason I bought this tub in 6-19 was because of reviews by Consumer Affairs and their promotion of Independent Home tubs 'because' of life-time warranty of parts and labor. Little did I know this was only as good as the paper it was written on. First of all, it says 'Lifetime Warranty' online and through C.A. BUT, when you receive your instructions and p/w with tub it states only one year! I verified this w/ Alan, VP of company who brushed off and claimed his secretary made a mistake w/ p/w. (1st Flag!)

When I had it installed, there were no demos so took word of installer to anticipate size of tub when purchasing since we met in person, and he could see that I was 6' even and 250 lbs. As the 2 men installed tub the salesman/installer Joel mentioned to me it was exact same tub that he owned. He was at the least 6" smaller and under 100 lbs. lighter. When I attempted to get in I could not even close the door. They had to replace tub w/ a bigger unit or I refused purchase. What good is something if you cannot use properly? AND, their tubs are on the higher end of cost. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! Joel then tried throwing all these negative facts at me as scare tactics, like I will need another hot water tank, I will use excess water, etc. ALL these facts proved untrue. Turns out he did not want to take off door frame in room to get tub through. (2nd Flag!)

About one year later, sprayer goes and fails completely (late 2020). I call Alan VP who sends me a sprayer. Postage date still on box. Then in mid 2021 one of the auto drains of 2 shut down completely. I call Alan, he sends part out. No problem getting the parts- they have nobody to install the parts! A regular plumber does not want this liability because of design, so you are at the mercy of this company who literally has nobody to do this work! Which is HALF of this very warranty! It is now mid 2022, I still have parts, and have been told by entire staff 'someone' will contact me by phone or e-mail to no avail. As God is my witness, I have contacted this company through its New Jersey listing, its Cleveland showroom (calls just get sent to NJ) at the very least about 20-25 times. How else would I know of Kim (Pres), Alan (VP), Rachelle (Secretary), and Bryson.

When doing the research for the walk-in tub of your choice find out who will be maintaining the tub, and how long it would take. I would ask for some kind of time constraint on paper before even purchasing. I was initially told by installer/salesman/contractor that he would be doing any maintenance necessary being that he only lived 30 minutes out. Never once answers phone, never once replies to e-mails. Completely ghosted.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

We have recently had an independent tub put in our home. While the tub looks great we have not been able to enjoy the benefits of it. When we purchased it and had it installed, everyone from the salesperson to the installers told us that our 50 gallon water heater would be adequate and should have no problem filling the tub. It is not! While we can fill the tub about halfway with bath temperature water it will turn cold once you get the water to the seat. Now we are going to have to spend about $3,000.00 to upgrade our water heater to one that will actually fill the tub. Then we can actually enjoy the tub with all of its benefits.

The second complaint we have is about the damage done during installation. While the guys that installed our tub did a great job and were very friendly and professional they did create a couple issues that we did not see before they left. One is a cracked floor tile and the other a cracked door frame. They had to remove the door and frame completely and either during the removal or install the damage was done. Even though we had some issues we still recommend this company just don't let them tell you that a 50 gallon water heater is big enough to fill the tube with sufficiently warm water.

Kennie and Patricia

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Independent Home sent one of the representatives out and I spoke with him. He answered all of our questions pretty much. I did some more looking around. I finally ended up with him, and I've been very happy since. Three men came out for the installation, and they've got that thing down to a science. Everything was perfect. They did a great job. As far as the tub, quality is good. The features were everything we talked about. It's working very well for my needs. The whole transaction was handled very well and I'm very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I couldn't use the water tap faucet outside in the back. I contacted Independent Home and they said they would look into it. That was about two weeks ago. Other than that, the installation was great and the guys were super. I have the tub for about a month now and the quality seems to be good. The water pressure is not very good, but it's not bad. And it's easy to get in and out of.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

The installation guys were very friendly and took care to cover the carpet, and did not leave a mess. However, they didn't seal the drain holes that they cut, so when the wind blows, it comes in the house. I got up in the middle of the night, and I could see light coming up from the floor where the tub sits on the floor because they didn't seal things underneath there and the yard light was shining inside the house. They came back and sealed up those. Then the air that comes out of the jets when in the warm water was cold. I don't know if there is something I need to adjust. Other than that, the tub works great and exactly like it's supposed to. I love it. The problem that I'm having now is getting enough hot water in it because my hot water tank is small.

Independent Home Company Information