Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems provide homes and office buildings with conditioned, clean air at stabilized temperatures. When an HVAC system goes out, it can be as complicated to repair as it is inconvenient.
Contractors and repair personnel make sure these systems are installed and work properly so that building occupants remain safe and comfortable. When an HVAC system needs some work, consumers should make sure they are getting the most from their servicers.
Top 10 Best Rated HVAC Contractors and Repair
All Year Cooling offers round-the-clock response times for air conditioning and heating repairs. The company, which has been in business since 1973, provides same-day service and installation for most situations.
|Read 540 Reviews|
With an A+ certification from the Better Business Bureau, Lindstrom Air Conditioning & Plumbing has a history of excellent customer service. It offers a 10 percent discount for service calls that are scheduled online.
|Read 5 Reviews|
For repairs, installation and maintenance, One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offers quick response times, with 24/7 service available. The company provides both an on-time guarantee and a satisfaction guarantee for its services.
|Read 9 Reviews|
Budget Heating and Air Conditioning specializes in offering cost-efficient solutions for homeowners, including wholesale prices for many products. Its site has a variety of HVAC products available, so purchasing is quick and easy.
Cobalt Heating and Cooling has been in business for nearly three decades. It offers up-front pricing on its services and products, and a technician will come to your home or business for a free quote on installation.
|Read Expert Review|
Serving the greater Orlando area since 1978, Gary Munson Heating and A/C Services has a dependable reputation with its customers. The company offers 24/7 emergency service and free quotes via website or telephone.
|Read Expert Review|
As its name suggests, 24 Hour Air Service offers heating, air conditioning and commercial refrigeration service 365 days a year. The company often has specials posted on its website for both new and returning customers.
|Read Expert Review|
A Star Heat and Air Plumbing has been in business since 1996, offering reliable service for heating, air conditioning and plumbing needs. It offers same-day service and free estimates, including quotes on new units.
|Read Expert Review|
Applewood Plumbing Heating & Electric has been in business for more than 40 years, offering Denver and Boulder dependable HVAC service with quick response times. It's open seven days a week with extended service hours.
|Read Expert Review|
Diamondback Air specializes in air conditioning, heating, plumbing and electrical service. The company offers free second opinions, and it guarantees to beat any quote that you have in writing from another service.
|Read Expert Review|
What features matter most?
Most HVAC units run quietly so that they don't disturb people who are inside the building.
- Sealed combustion chambers: Sealing the combustion chambers reduces noise coming from the furnace.
- Compressor sound blankets: Sound blankets deaden the noise created by air conditioner compressors.
- Outdoor units placed far from windows: Installing the compressor and other outdoor parts far from windows reduces noise that can disturb building occupants.
Both federal guidelines and individual design help HVAC units save energy.
- Air conditioners must be built to federal standards: Air conditioners must have an efficiency rating of at least 13-SEER, which means that they provide a specific amount of air conditioning for each unit of energy used.
- Saves on electric bills: The energy savings generally translate into lower electricity bills for users who run an HVAC system.
- Environmentally friendly refrigerants: Many HVAC units offer environmentally friendly refrigerants that help reduce carbon footprints while conditioning air.
HVAC units help keep temperatures indoors stable and consistent so that users feel more comfortable.
- Temperatures in line with health and environmental recommendations: Most HVAC units keep rooms at constant temperatures in line with what is needed for optimal health and to protect the environment.
- Adjustable ducts: Most HVAC systems allow users to adjust ducts to control temperature in different rooms.
- Return air diffusion: The system is set up so as much air is circulated into the room as is circulated out, thus keeping temperature constant and air clean.
Compliance with safety standards
Federal and state governments both issue safety standards to ensure that HVAC equipment works correctly and safely.
- Compliance with environmental safety standards: HVAC units must comply with environmental codes for energy efficiency, clean air and more.
- Compliance with hazardous materials standards: HVAC units must generate heat in approved ways that don't release excessive toxins into the air or use hazardous materials.
- Compliance with ventilation standards: HVAC units must provide appropriate ventilation to lower the risk of respiratory infections and complications.
HVAC systems often contain both an indoor and outdoor unit for compressing and circulating air appropriately.
- Outdoor compression units: Many HVAC units come with an outdoor compressor that can be placed at a distance from the building to eliminate noise and improve air quality.
- Ducts and vents: Indoors, there are usually ducts and vents that allow air to circulate in and out of every room.
- Temperature control unit: The thermostat is usually indoors and can be set to the desired temperature.
What are different types of HVAC contractors?
Commercial contractors help install and repair HVAC systems in commercial buildings. This type of contractor often has specialized knowledge of industry-specific health and safety issues and concerns.
Furnace repair specialists
Furnace repair specialists keep furnaces in good working order. They can do inspections as well as repairs.
Installers have specific skill sets related to installing new systems in homes and offices. They may or may not also repair HVAC units.
Who's it for?
People with health problems
People with health problems, especially respiratory illnesses, may need to get an HVAC system installed in their homes. HVAC systems can help purify air, reduce the risk of respiratory infections and protect immune system health by regulating temperature.
Commercial building owners
Many commercial building owners have HVAC systems installed to keep workplace environments up to code and to ensure a pleasant environment for employees, clients and customers.
Landlords may install HVAC systems in rental units to attract tenants and allow renters to feel more comfortable with where they live. Many states require landlords to keep buildings heated to a specific temperature during cold months.
People who care about the environment may prefer to use an HVAC system as it is more energy efficient.
All Year Cooling installs and repairs air conditioning units in Florida. Since 1973, it has performed more than 150,000 HVAC installations.
- Same day service and installation: Users can order services the same day they contact the company, making it easier to get the HVAC services they need.
- Offers both installation and repair services: Consumers can deal with the same company for both installation and repairs. This allows the customer to develop a relationship with the contractor.
- Offers coupons and discounts for families: Private home owners can save money when installing or repairing a system from this company.
- State and county licensing and insurance: Repair and installation contractors are all licensed by the state of Florida, and All Year Cooling takes care of insuring them.
- Offers financing: Users who can't pay for an HVAC system all at once can get interest-free financing.
- Best for People with health issues.
Budget Heating is one of the first companies to sell HVAC products online. It offers a comprehensive list of products for homes and businesses.
- Best for People with health issues, commercial building owners and landlords.
One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning offers HVAC installation and repair services throughout the United States.
- Best for Landlords and people with health problems.
Cobalt Heating and Cooling offers residential HVAC installation and repair services.They serve the San Jose, California area.
- Offers a wide variety of repair services: Consumers can get repairs on most parts of their HVAC system, including duct repair and unit repair.
- All systems are Energy Star rated: Consumers can cut their energy bills by up to 30% and make an impact on the environment.
- Can install units in office buildings: Although Cobalt is mainly a residential service, it offers installation in offices and office buildings.
- Offers maintenance services: Maintenance can help HVAC units operate smoothly with no interruptions in service as well as prevent breakdowns. Cobalt offers this service as well as specific repair services.
- Flexible payment options: Consumers can pay using cash, check or a variety of credit cards, making it easy to pay for HVAC services.
- Best for People with health problems, environmentalists, commercial building owners and landlords.
A Star Heat and Air Plumbing is a family owned HVAC installation and repair business that serves customers in Garland, Texas and surrounding areas.
- Owner interacts directly with customers: The owner often answers the phone and talks directly to customers about their concerns, making this business more community-oriented than many others.
- Ability to order service online: Users can fill out a form online to request installation and repair services.
- Offers radiant barriers for attic space: This product helps stop cool air from escaping from the house through the attic and improves insulation.
- Guarantees temperature consistency from room to room: Users are entitled to service if the temperature in one room differs significantly from other rooms while running the HVAC system.
- Offers duct cleaning services: Duct cleaning can help improve efficiency and saves money in the long run.
- Best for People with health problems and environmentalists.
Lindstrom Air has been offering installation and repair services since 1975. It offers service throughout Florida and is focused on creating higher efficiency HVAC systems.
- Best for People with health problems and landlords.
Diamondback Air offers HVAC services and products in the Mesa Arizona area.
- Offers free second opinions: Users who are unsure about whether they really need to invest in repairs can get a free second opinion from Diamondback Air before deciding what to do.
- Offers online scheduling: Consumers can schedule repairs and maintenance online, which is often more convenient than calling in an appointment request.
- Focuses on safety: Diamondback Air is concerned with carbon monoxide leaks and other safety issues when examining or working with HVAC units.
- Online reviews: Consumers can read reviews on the website prior to purchasing HVAC products or services from this company.
- Blog offers DIY info: Users who want to try to fix minor problems themselves can get step by step instructions on the company's blog.
- Best for Landlords and commercial business owners.
Applewood has been providing HVAC services in the Denver and Boulder areas since 1975. More than 60% of their customers are people who have used their services before.
- Offers online videos and news: Users can get news and information about HVAC systems on Applewood's website.
- Service 7 days a week: There's no extra charge for weekend or holiday service.
- Technicians must pass drug tests and background screens: Users can feel safe allowing technicians into their homes, as they are thoroughly vetted.
- Replaces older units with more energy efficient units: Users can save money on electricity bills by purchasing HVAC systems or upgrading their existing units.
- Access coupons online: Users can save money on repairs and installation by taking advantage of online coupons.
- Best for People with health problems, landlords and environmentalists.
24/7 Hour Air Service provides HVAC installation and repair services in Florida as well as related services such as service on ice machines.
- Offers preventative maintenance: Users can prevent HVAC problems before they start by getting regular preventative maintenance.
- Ability to purchase products online: Users can purchase replacement parts and whole systems through this company's website.
- Offers zoning: The HVAC system can be set to create different temperatures in different areas of the house.
- Dehumidifier for extra comfort in humid weather: In Florida, humidity can make even the coolest house very uncomfortable. Dehumidification services help resolve this problem.
- Quick financing decisions: Financing is available, and users can get a quick decision after submitting their application.
- Best for Commercial building owners, people with health problems and landlords.
Munson Heating has offered HVAC and other air conditioning services to Orlando customers since 1978. It offers a locally owned business that meets customers' air conditioning and heating needs.
- Preventative maintenance package: Consumers can subscribe to preventative maintenance to get a check up on their HVAC twice a year.
- Offers both residential and commercial services: No matter what type of HVAC services consumers need, they are likely to be able to get them met here.
- Free tips for maintenance and efficiency: Users can get tips on how to get the most out of their HVAC system on the company's website.
- Offers in-home analysis: Munson can visit users' homes and provide suggestions about what type of system to get to meet financial and comfort needs.
- Can install ductless Mitsubishi system: Munson is a Mitsubishi contractor and can install a ductless system that may better meet efficiency goals.
- Best for People with health problems, commercial building owners and landlords.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.