Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Hunter Fans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

I contacted Hunter on my light kit for 52045. I was told they are only warranted for 1 yr. They will send me replacement for$25 odd cents and 9 something shipping. So every year it is going to be a major expense to own this ceiling fan by the time you pay an electrician and pay for replacement parts. Do the math. Trash all the fans. Best find a company that stands behind their products.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

I bought 3 Casablanca fans for 169 each. The one I am referring to always had a problem needed to be reset all the time. Somehow it fell off the ceiling in the middle of the night. Thank god it didn't fell on my son's head only his feet. FYI it the fan separated from the rod so it did not fall because of bad installation. I had a professional electrician install all 3 and the other 2 are still up there. I wrote to this company and it takes them weeks to respond. I think they should do something for me since they almost killed my son.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I hang about 20 fans a year and this Hunter Louden 42" low profile is the hardest I've ever hung. I even had to tin snip the housing to make sure the rotor and blades didn't rub because the motor mount is the worst I've seen. The glass bowl does not have enough room for CFLs vs the miniature base bulbs it comes with. Stupid to not allow CFLs.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

I have a Hunter Fan, model 21427 Fan-a-way. Installed approx. 15 months ago and infrequently used. Two weeks ago the light bulb flickered and stopped working. After spending a lot of time to find a replacement 40W circline CFL, I found that the bulb is exclusive to Hunter. Being no fool, I ordered 2 bulbs. A week later, I received them and installed, but still no light. Obviously, it must be a ballast issue. Hunter's website stated that the ballast was not available.

I contacted Technical support via email and finally received a response 6 days later saying, "Sorry, but the ballast is not available, however you can purchase the whole light kit for $310.00". REALLY? Put a $310 light kit in a $300 fan?!?!? I finally reached a live person at Hunter and she confirmed that the ballast ($20.00) WAS available, just on backorder. This company has shoddy products, misinformed technical support, and seems to like to run scams on consumers. I think I'll save my $20 and buy a new fan from a different company. Hunter is Ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

Purchased through Home Depot two hunter fans with light kits. Have had several fans over the years 17 years ago to be exact that provided great light for a bedroom. These fans 52" fans today give out so little light that one would have to describe it a low light (mood light at best). Not nearly enough to count on for even a small bedroom, center ceiling mount fan/light kit. They are making the fans/light kit so cheap today that they must be not safe to have any normal light fixtures with enough wattage to light a closet! Customer service was ok, but no help from them with any products that would have provided any more light than I'm currently experiencing.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Five years ago we bought two identical Hunter fans that were going to be in the same large room. Believing that "Hunter" was a good brand. After three years one of the fans stopped working. They didn't make the same fan anymore, so we had to buy two more, so that they matched. After many bulbs burning out way sooner than seemed normal, and after only two years of having the new fans, one of the light fixtures blew out with a pop, pop sound. It never worked after that. After reading several of the same complaints, it's obvious there's a defect that should be looked into....a fire hazard!! Hunter should be held responsible to fix the problem before being allowed to sell anymore!!! I will NEVER purchase a Hunter product again after reading all the customer service horror stories... which also sells their products under other names. Do your homework before buying. I wish I had :(

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

I have purchased and changed at least 5 or 6 Hunter ceiling fans and light kits from Lowe’s in Batesville, MS and from Southaven, MS. I am to the point that I am going to change all my fans because of this. Every fan I have purchased has ended in a disaster. The fan works fine, but after a few weeks lights quit working. I am absolutely shocked to find this website with all these complaints on the same fans that I have purchased and installed at my home. I thought it was something I was doing wrong!!! Can you please help me with this problem?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

Run! Bought 7 matching fans for our home and the light switch assembly keeps blowing at various times on various fans... have replaced them all and some of the replacements have blown too... On hold now to try and get more before warranty runs out.... Don't bother with Hunter fans!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I am one of probably several hundred who have had issues with a defective Hunter Fan Switch Housing Assembly (light kit). I've sent email requests but got no reply. When I tried to call customer service to purchase a replacement, the first wait was supposed to be "less than 3 minutes" but I hung up after 20 minutes of elevator music. I called a second time but decided not to wait when I was advised that my wait would be "less than 109 minutes." One way or another I will get this fan fix but be assured that I will NEVER again buy a Hunter or a Harbor Breeze (same company) product. I'll also research to see what other products that company makes and will boycott them, too.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have a 5 yr old Hunter Ceiling Fan that the chain has pulled out of the 4 speed control. My understanding was that there was a lifetime warranty on the entire fan, I was wrong it only covers the motor. My husband tried to buy a replacement part at out local hardware and local electrical shop but unfortunately this part does not exist being the fan is considered 4 speed not 3. All of the salesmen we have dealt with said they would contact Hunter fans for the replacement part because they are unable to procure one....Good luck with that!! My first day of calling left me frustrated and aggravated with wait times of 29, 56 and 101 minutes to the service department. Although if you push 4 for sales they pick up right away...Go figure!

Finally to reach a person - to be told they no longer carry the parts for the fan and that I would have to buy a new one. I agreed out of frustration and the fact that the fan in the ceiling is stuck ON, to purchase SAME fan (identical) but different model!! Sales woman said I would have it in 10 days, my credit card was charged!! The same day at 12:45 am I rec'd an email informing me it is now on back order and won't ship for 5 weeks! The next day I called service again to have my wait time to be 56 minutes and of course hanging up and calling back to sales they answered right away to transfer me to a supervisor. I just wanted to cancel the order to have the credit card charge to be reversed....What a nightmare. The supervisor Aubrey first told me it couldn't be reversed but after a lot of yelling he was able to do it. Told me he would research why they don't have the part and would call me back...Good luck with that!!!

He never called!!! Day 3 - called again to have ridiculously long wait times to finally get another supervisor to tell me the order was cancelled and offered me to purchase another style fan from them!!! I don't understand why they have back orders when I could go to Lowe's and there it is...plus they never told me it was on back order when placing the order for the new fan.....WHY WHY would I ever want to go through this nightmare AGAIN!!! After reading all of consumer report reviews on Hunter Fans I would NEVER purchase another fan from them again!!! Terrible customer support and terrible service!!! Unfortunately I still have a fan in my ceiling that is broken and have gotten no satisfaction from Hunter!!! Thank you consumer reports for allowing me to share my experience with other consumers so they can make educated decisions and have purchasing power!! I'm off to the store to find a replacement fan and I know one thing, it won't be HUNTER!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I bought four Hunter fans from Home Depot, Model 25478. I had them installed by a Home Depot contractor. Then two of the fans light packages would flicker when turned on. I tried to call Hunter, but the wait time was overwhelming. I believe the light packages are defective. Two problems the same out of four fans.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

The fan would work on the ceiling fan light but the light kit would not. Read up on here why after second one blew up to see what other people were seeing with these Hunter fan/light units. Since I don't care to spend $40 a year on a new light kit and well now my unit's light kit is discontinued. There is a wattage limiter that seems undersized in the unit, smaller wires than all the other wires in the unit and is rated for 190 Watts and light is designed for three 60 Watt light bulbs or 180 Watts total. We put 40 Watt bulbs in because we had issues before with 60 Watt bulbs getting too hot. Well the first thing when it was turned on one morning, it went pow, pow, pow. The first was a light bulb going and then the limiter must have 2 fuses inside it that blew because nothing else looks charred in the light kit. Part can be ordered online from eBay or amazon but not Hunter. Seems like a design flaw since ours blew up twice in 2 years!!! Not a happy customer with good reason!!! Guess what, not much you can do about it either by the looks of the people who call Hunter.

The other issue with the second light kit was that the high temp plastic light elements were starting to chalk and crumble due to poor injection molding. Porosity must be a quality issue with the elements (light holders) because it is obviously not able to take as much heat with the air bubbles in it. See the picture of the damage from less than two years of run time...I fixed it by putting ceramic elements in kind in the light unit and it is cooler with those too as ceramic is used on the heat shields for the old space shuttle. This fix voids the warranty, I'm sure, but what warranty is there! Hunter will just tell you to buy their $40 light kit if available for yours or just go spend another $120 because they like to sell these awesome lights! Good thing I got an A in circuits class!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I have a Hunter Fan Model# 23681-420 that was installed new approximately 5 years ago in our new home. Recently the Lights are very dim and keep blowing bulbs. I checked the Lamp Receptacles with a Multimeter and they only put out 81VAC (no wonder the lights are dim). I researched this similar problem on the Internet and noticed that many others are having the same issues. I called Hunter Fans and had to wait 1 hr and 27 minutes before someone answered the phone. I was told that I needed to purchase a replacement Switch/Housing Assembly to correct the problem.

They shipped me a replacement (for $33.00) but upon opening the package two things were noticed. One...the unit shipped did not look like the original and Two...the Fan Reversal Switch was broken and in pieces. I called Hunter Fans again the following day and was again put on hold for 1 hr and 13 minutes before anyone answered the phone. I told them about the problem receiving a different looking Switch/Housing Assembly and stated that the unit shipped to me was damaged. They told me they shipped me the incorrect Assembly and that the one that I actually needed was no longer available (unit only 5 years old).

They then told me they would offer me a discount on purchasing another new Hunter Fan. In total I spent approximately 4 hours on hold and talking to Hunter Fan representatives only to be told they could not help me and I needed to purchase a complete new Fan and Light. I am amazed that Hunter Fans has any customers the way they treat them. This was the most disappointing product I have ever purchased and I will never buy another Hunter Fan product. They are JUNK and their Customer Services do not care about their products or customers. I urge anyone looking to purchase a Ceiling Fan to look at any manufacturer other than Hunter Fans. Their products are JUNKI!!! Never Again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

We bought the Hunter Fan model 52" Sedgebrook™ 21587 several years ago. It is beautiful and we love it. A few nights ago, we noticed a weird, burning smell in our kitchen. We thought we had burned the handle of a pan while cooking. Then we noticed the lights on the fan getting really bright then dim. Then the fan took off at warp speed. We then realized the smell was coming from our ceiling fan. The lower switch housing on my hunter ceiling fan melted. Had we not shut it off and dismantled it, it would have caught fire.

I tried to call Hunter but they were closed. I have been researching this on the internet and it appears to be a common issue with Hunter. This is awful. Hunter used to be an amazing product and name you could count on. I am trying to find a new part for this as we love this fan and light assembly. From what I have read, I know that Hunter is not going to help us on this. I just want to be able to order a new part for this. I think this specific model is discontinued so this will really make me mad. To think that this almost started a fire tells me that Hunter is doing something VERY wrong. So many people are having the ISSUE. Is it going to take a house fire with people dying for you to take NOTICE HUNTER FANS??? This is crazy! We will not buy another Hunter Fan that is for sure.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

The pull chain on the light does not seem to engage. I used to be able to push the chain up and hear it click and the lights would work. I had to do that for on and off. I have 2 hunter 60" fans and neither light works at all. I see no reason to contact Hunter from what I have read and will not buy another Hunter fan.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

This air purifier did what it was supposed to until it suddenly started getting noisier and would stop working sporadically after about a year and a half. We purchased it in Jan. 2013. Then, it suddenly stopped working completely. We currently have a complaint in with the company so hopefully they will replace it. Really disappointed that it has such a short life span as it was not cheap and we don't have the extra cash sitting around to buy another one just for that one to quit too.

UPDATE: We called customer service multiple times. I spent 2 hours on the phone resulting in them telling me they'd call me back, except they never did. We also filled out the online contact form and also never heard back from that. Finally after 2 weeks my wife managed to speak to someone who told us we'd have to pay to ship it back to them. According to USPS that is going to cost approximately $30!! To send back their defective product!! DO NOT BUY FROM HUNTER!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

Our company owns 35 homes in Guam and we've installed 175 Hunter ceiling fans; do the math, that's lots of money. 78 are remote controlled fans. Of these 50% have failed due to problems with remote receivers or light failures. Obtaining replacement parts from vendor Home Depot is impossible. Only source is eBay or Amazon. I like the Hunter design, but the product quality and support is poor and I'm changing brands when replacing even if they are twice the price I am better off if they operate longer and have better support. Hunter, you need to get some quality control in your electronics on the remote side, or find another supplier.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

After being on hold for over an hour and also being disconnected twice with customer service, I'm not a happy camper. Explained less than 2 yr old fan by Hunter was not working. Light stopped working but fan still comes on. Told them we needed a lighting unit - but wait they no longer make parts. Really it's only 2 yrs old (not only for broken fan but no longer for the rest of my ceiling fans either). Best they could do was sell me a discounted one for 120.00 plus s& h. Really people I can go to lowe's and do better than that. Never again will purchase a Hunter product. Crappy service and products.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

I have had this fan for 2 years. About a year later the pull chain broke at the switch for the speed control, this switch has five wires. I looked all over the internet and hunters website and could not find one. I went to Bello's electric and bought a four wire switch, but it only run on high speed and 2 slow speeds that were the same speed. I left it that way and used it. After another year the chain broke again at the switch. This is a bad design. The chain comes out of the switch and makes a 45 degree angle and at the light globe it makes another 45 degree and this puts a lot of stress on the chain at the switch. This time I called hunter and told them about the problem. They said I could not get the switch but they could send me the whole bottom piece for $25.00 & $9.99 for shipping plus tax. The switch should cost maybe $5.00 to $8.00 but I have to spend $37.44. Hunter would not stand behind any of it. I will not buy another Hunter, they do not stand behind their product. The fan model is 28665-530 3 speed with serenity.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

We purchase a Regalia Hunter fan. 4-speed fan. Poor design on how the pull chain is routed for the fan. It was very rough from the beginning pulling it. Looking at the switch, poorly made and cheap, of course from China. Being an engineer and years of mechanical experience, you can see how it comes out of the housing and then it is steer towards the light assembly. Then it is back towards the hole in the glass.

Hold time is not acceptable. First time 20 minutes, second time 25 minutes. Third is a charm, 35 minutes. Finally someone answer. I wanted to order the switch and they will not unless they sell the whole switch housing. 55.00. WTH. I will be from now on looking at Hampton Bay or some other make. To all, do not buy a four (4) speed fan. You can find a 3-speed fan switch at Lowe's or Home Depot and not have to deal with the incompetent CS and ripoff of Hunters. For the price of what they charge they would give a break.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

We received the remote controlled Grand Lodge ceiling fan as a gift - it's about 1.5 years old. It's a nice looking 60-inch fan w/ remote -- no pull cords. It has rarely been used (probably less than 40 hours) and has completely stopped working. Hunter offered to "sell" us a replacement receiver for $60.00 that we would install in the fan. It's the SAME receiver that's in the fan now, the same one that Hunter is obviously having ongoing problems with...just read the complaints online.

Anyway, we suggest to the Hunter representative that purchasing this unimproved part is simply paying money only to experience the same problem again later. At that point she offers a discounted 60-inch fan similar to ours, for $73.00, but it's not a ceiling hugger that we absolutely have to have. Her next offer is for a ceiling hugger, however it's not a 60-inch fan like we have, but a 52-inch that is totally the wrong color - and the discounted price of it is $111.00.

There you have it - those were the options extended by Hunter to compensate for a nearly brand new fan that does not work at all. So, take-away here is easy - do not purchase Hunter fans. They don't work for the long term, and when they fail, Hunter is really not prepared to stand by their product or their customers. They got me once, but they absolutely will not get me again. Word of mouth (in person or online) travels fast and it works! Don't buy a Hunter product.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

Ceiling fan and light worked fine for a while on two identical fans bought at the same time. Soon (within 6 months) the lights started to strobe on both fans and one light kit quit working completely. I didn't think that resistor/watt reducer thing was necessary. After reading reviews, I just bypassed the whole thing, wired it direct. Light and switch work great! Pictured is the culprit of the problem. Too bad such a fine company has fallen to such a low point.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

We bought 3 of the Hunter Highbury fans, two were assembled fine by an electrician and installed, the third one had a clicking sound when the fan was turned on. Thus, we bought a fourth to replace the third one. This one would only operate in the "winter or clockwise direction". When the switch was changed to summer or the normal mode, the fan would not operate. Thus, we bought a fifth fan and this one worked OK. Quality control seems to be an issue with Hunter that used to have a good reputation. We also requested one part from Hunter overnight and was assured it would be there, never did arrive. But as we had to buy two additional fans just to get the third room fan to work, the part turned out to be unneeded. Just another Hunter frustration.

Original review: July 28, 2014

Purchased 2 Hunter Ceiling fans, one doesn't work at all anymore - just 2 years old. The other Flashes insanely; it’s a big heavy fan. I'm not going to take it down and return it. I'm going to repair it now that I know what the issue is. I will say I've bought fans one heck of a lot cheaper and they are over 5 years old and working just fine. No more Hunter for me ever again. Reading the reviews sounds like the co don't care about customers either.

Original review: July 18, 2014

New fan has a cracked globe. Just need a replacement. Been on hold for 32 minutes on Friday afternoon. I will hang up soon. Be sure to never by Hunter fans again.

Original review: July 11, 2014

Have Hunter brass, 4 blade fan. Probably 25 years old. Motor wiring has short in wiring. Called Hunter and they could care less. For them to even consider my claim, they wanted a copy of the warranty that came with the fan and the original sales receipt. Anyone keep a receipt 25 years. They wouldn't even give me the names of repair shops. So be careful if you are looking at one of their fans and they are now made in China.

Original review: July 9, 2014

Have a model 20722 with light kit. The fan & light hardly used! Out of blue, the light either didn't work or it would start blinking! Afraid of fire, I disconnected it from fan housing. Now fan is totally useless. Called hunter fan and they are unable and unwilling to assist. Say I need whole new light kit at $60.00. Fan only 13 mos old. WHAT A LOUSY ** COMPANY. I HAVE LESSER FANS IN HOUSE THAT WORK FINE. DON'T BUY HUNTER JUNK!!!!!!! AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: June 26, 2014

We purchased a Hunter Viente model #53035 from Home Depot about two years ago. Today, I replaced a light bulb. When the bulb was almost screwed in completely, the light fixture started throwing sparks and then caught fire. I was able to put out the fire before any serious damage occurred. This is our second Viente. It was a replacement/swap for the first one purchased less than one week earlier. There was a problem with the light fixture on the first one as well. It never caught fire...it just did not work.

Based upon all of the comments I have read, contacting the manufacturer will be a very frustrating waste of time. Had the Viente not caught fire, I was planning to purchase three more Hunter fans (diff models) to replace ceiling fans in other rooms. Now I will be buying four ceiling fans....and none of them will be a Hunter.

Original review: June 25, 2014

My 80-year old mother purchased 2 Hunter ceiling fans which both have the low profile mounting. As I was mounting the fans, the tapped screw hole which make the fan low profile, are not drilled in. Went back to the store and they open several other Hunter fan boxes and not one had the drill hole. The store told me to contact Hunter before I brought them back. If you use a down rod this is not a problem, but if you have low ceiling this is a big problem. I have contacted Hunter by email June 24 2014. Tomorrow I will call them and let you know what is going on.

Original review: June 23, 2014

As an Engineer and someone with over 40 years of mechanical experience installing and fixing every kind of product both in the the residential and the commercial electrical and mechanical fields, I find the Hunter Five Minute Fan to be a total engineering failure. Every single unit should be recalled immediately.

Something as simple as making sure that the screw hole and the screw specified to go into that hole should be an easy engineering specification. Having the two items so far off that they are totally incompatible is unacceptable. I found that the switch housing screws that are supposed to be easily screwed in partially to the base of the light fixture housing were totally incompatible. Basically, the undersized hole made screwing these screws in impossible. If you actually try, eventually the cheap screw heads will break off. With two fans, six screws and six screws holes to verify the evidence of a total failure on the part of the Hunter Fan company to actually assemble the product they claim is a five minute fan assembly. I find them to be engineering incompetent.

Hunter Fans Company Information