Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda Lawn Mowers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.01/5

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. Read reviews for their models:

Honda Lawn Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Lawn Mowers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: April 5, 2017

We bought our Honda HR215K1HMA mower in '99, for about a thousand bucks, but knowing Honda's reputation, I felt comfortable with our decision. It has been a flawless machine. The hydrostatic drive is amazing, enabling me to slow down for patches of high grass with fingertip control. The blade and chute design allows me to cut and bag grass even in the rain. After all this time, the only thing we've replaced, aside from routine maintenance items, is the front wheel bearings.

And today, I discovered a broken tooth on the starter drive motor. After only 18 years. Geez, it's about time something broke. I've used only Honda engines on all the power equipment we've owned over the years, and all have given us amazing service and reliability. I wouldn't buy another brand of small engine. Our Honda snow blower is a local legend, especially after the 32" snow we had last year. Keep in mind that no matter what brand you buy, regular (and I don't mean every five years) maintenance is critical. If it moves, lubricate it. If it squeaks, you're too late.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Bought this Honda HRR216VKA lawn mower from Home Depot in mid November 2016. Used it 4 times at most and then because of rainy winter it went into shed with fuel stabilizer. Mid March took it out and it won't run. Put in new fuel and new spark plug. Still won't run. I spent $432 on a lawn mower that lasted less than 3 months. Honda says I need to take it to the Honda repair shop and that they might cover the repair if it is a manufacturing defect. The shop tells me if it is the carburetor having fuel in it over winter that might cause the problem and it won't be covered under warranty. It will be another $40 for the carburetor plus cost for repair hours. I think this is an engineering defect not a manufacturing defect. No product should be this easily damaged by 3 months storage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Bought this mower based on Consumer Reports reviews and other reviews on the web. The actual model# is hrr216k9pda, but all of the double blade models are basically the same. It always starts on the first pull, the engine seems to be the only part of this mower that is excellent. The rest of the mower seems to have been designed by a bunch of monkeys. First off, in mulch mode the mower will randomly leave strips of unmowed grass throughout the lawn. I doubled checked multiple times to see if it was user error and it was not. It's funny because one of the reasons I bought this mower was because it had two blades, figuring it would definitely give me a nice clean cut, but no!

Then there is no side discharge chute. If you take the mower out of mulch mode into bag mode it discharges out the back, right on your feet and legs and leaves large clumps of grass clippings as if you were looking at a field of freshly mowed hay ready to be baked. It did cut more evenly in bag mode, but I had to get my blower out to disperse the lumps of grass cuttings (the lawn was not high) which just added more time and annoyance to the job. The wheels wore down very quickly and the cool adjustment knob to make the handle bars fold for storage fell apart after the second yr. Also after 2 yrs the deck split underneath where the blade is and then again by the front wheel. I was surprised to see the deck get compromised like that, usually the deck is the last thing to go.

This has never happen to me on any of my other (cheaper) mowers that I had for a much longer time period. I paid $400 for this mower and it is definitely not a quality mower. Also, there is no support from Honda, you cannot call them and speak to a tech about your issues or parts or anything. You have to take it to a authorized Honda dealer and deal with them, and as noted in other posts this is not always a pleasant experience. They seem to think their mower is flawless and look at you like you're from Mars when you bring up legitimate issues with the mower. In short, I can't speak for all their mowers, but this mower was a piece of crap wrapped up in the illusion of quality. Don't get fooled!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

We purchased our Honda 186cc Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at the end of May '16 and less than 6 months in and all of a sudden stopped working. We've put in gas, filled the oil and were even recommended to check the spark plugs - which it will now run for about 1-2 minutes and then stop. After multiple calls to customer service we were directed to the nearest repair shop who is 5 days behind and won't even be able to give a diagnoses for another week. Customer service also said that depending on what the issue is this repair may not be covered under Honda's warranty.

Absolutely ridiculous that after spending this much money on what we thought was a trusted product and only having used it a total of maybe 10 times, we now come to find out that they really don't value their customers based on the service they've provided as well as stand behind their equipment. I will never recommend this or any other of Honda's products moving forward and unfortunately wished I would've seen the previous reviews sooner as it looks like everyone on here is having the SAME exact problems.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

This past April 2016 we purchased a Honda Self Propelled Lawn Mower. Nothing but problems. Worst of it all once you purchased a Honda product the business you bought it from no longer can assist you. Have to deal with Honda Customer Relations. I must agree with one other affairs review where Honda USED TO make a good lawnmower. Worked OK first few times then the warranty fiasco began. Lawnmower spent more time getting warranty work I was forced to go buy another mower to cut grass.

All I want is my money back and cut ties with Honda. Customer Relations department "Nope we do not give refunds for used mowers." Unreal that's what the Honda Canada employee told me. Bought a new lawnmower doesn't work, cant use it, cannot get money back because I used it, had to buy another mower, and now that season is over they think they fixed the problem. Customers save yourself the aggravation and buy yourselves anything other than a Honda product.

Original review: July 29, 2016

I purchase my Honda mower at the Home Depot 7 months ago. First I have not used ethanol gas. I've only been using Rec 90 gas with marvel mystery oil and so far so good. Starting has been on one or two pulls. The problem that I have in South Florida is that there is an accumulation of sand and grass that gets into the dust covers of the rear wheels and gets into the pinion gears. I have had to strip clean out and regrease these four times since the purchase of this mower as the wheels will lock up when you're trying to back up the mower. This can be annoying and it puts strain on the lower back. I find it ridiculous that I have to put this kind of effort into maintenance on a mower. I am going to sell this mower and move on to a better non Honda product.

Original review: July 9, 2016

Had my HRR216TDA mower since 2004. Purchased at Home Depot. After setting up, filling the crankcase with oil and pulling the mower over a few times, I filled the tank and it started on the second pull. Other than the transmission dying two years ago (I had it replaced), it has started on first or second pull at any temperature.

Tips: The carburetor has VERY small jets. At the end of mowing, turn off the fuel valve and let mower run until it quits of its own accord when the carb runs out of fuel. The carburetor and the parts inside are easily plugged with varnish residue from fuel left in it even for short periods. I put a small dose of fuel injector cleaner in the tank once a year to help fight contamination. You can tell if the jets are getting clogged up if the mower surges at anything other than full power. It is cheaper to buy a whole new carb on eBay than to spend the time to clean the old one. I'm still running on the original carb.

I still have the original belt on the mower, so the auto tensioner seems to be just about right. Removal of the metal covers under the deck to get at the transmission and belt requires care when putting them back, as the bolt holes are difficult to line up and then get the bolt threads started without cross threading the bolts. They should all be started with just your fingers before putting a wrench on them to tighten.

The plastic air cleaner cover would pop off after hitting just about anything. I drilled two small holes down from the top at the middle of top brackets where the self latching prongs go in and inserted small headed short nails in the holes. Never had a cover pop off again. All in all, other than the transmission losing the 2nd gear, it has been reasonably reliable.

Original review: June 24, 2016

PROS: Smooth engine, usually starts 1st or 2nd pull; fast cutting; good mulching; adequate power; mulching plug easy to insert and remove. Although mower arrived with a front wheel assy damaged, Home Depot quickly replace the bent part.

CONS: non-adjustable, throttle too fast for most mowing, thus a gas hog. I installed a manual throttle which greatly decreases gas use. Oil fill tube very narrow; must fill slowly; grass clogs up above transmission and difficult to wash out. Fake rubber (hard plastic) tires pass shock on up to your hands. The tread wears off quickly and mower slides off a moderate bank. Wheel gear and mating pinion gear became worn and slipping (within the warranty period) but the dealer (as directed by Honda) would only replace the pinion gear, though I carried the mower twice to the dealer (loaded/unloaded eight times). Honda refused to replace the wheel gear. Had the gall to tell me to take the mower to the dealer a third time! I refused and purchased new pinion and wheel gears at my expense. Shabby warranty response!

Original review: June 23, 2016

Top recommended by CR plus I've owned at least 10 Honda mowers. Almost always start on first pull even though 10-15 years old. Either takes 4 pulls to start or won't start at all. Autochoke. Today, it wouldn't shut off. Had to stall it. Bag won't stay on. Using new non-ethanol gas, checked the oil, air filter clean. I'd trade for a 10 year old 215 today or an older Toro.

Original review: June 23, 2016

Have had this Troy-Bilt mower with a Honda motor 13 years. Never a bit of trouble but once cord broke fixed it myself, no parts needed, just used the same cord. But one thing I did noticed was the cord wiring was out of time to start the motor. After I put it back together started a lot better. That makes me think the motor timing and starter cord need to be placed properly starting timing.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information