Honda Lawn Mowers
2.01/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Honda Lawn Mowers Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased this Honda HRX217VKA after reading many reviews and doing a ton of research on lawn mowers. it was pretty expensive compared to the other brands but I figured you get what you pay for and this was the top rated lawn mower on many sites. I noticed that after mowing my yard it never looked right. It had a slight lean to the cut and there are always sprigs that somehow don't get cut causing me to mow it over again. This morning when I started to mow the yard I heard a click. When I turned the mower I noticed that the wheel adjustment dropped.

I've never noticed this before as I change the height to different settings for the backyard. I took it back to Northern tools where it was purchased and was told that they would look at it and get back to me when it might be fixed. He also said that I might have to borrow someone else's lawn mower to do yard until fixed. I paid 599.00 for a top rated lawn mower less than 2 months ago and now I have to figure out how to get yard mowed until fixed. I guess I just expected more from Honda. The old Sears mower that I replaced was under 200.00 and I only had to cut yard once to get all sprigs of grass.

Original review: July 18, 2018

HRB-215 lasted over 20 years until I ran it low on oil. Before that had to replace the trans after about 8 years. Other than that no problems. Hate to part with this machine. Also have a 15 year old HRX-217 with the hydrostatic drive. The biggest complaint about this is I used to have problems with the carb all the time. Clean fuel, drain fuel over winter and run dry and drain bowl. Did not matter. I was frequently having problems even during the season and pulling the carb to clean which is a pain. Finally got tired of this and added a generic in-line fuel filter in the hose.

That was 8-10 years ago and I have not had to pull the carb since and have not changed the filter. Not sure why the screen in the tank is not enough. Only recently started to use Mobil 1 synthetic changing the oil once a year. This mower is used to cut about 1/2 acre. Also have a 1990 Accord with almost 400k on it and runs like a champ. A lot of parts are being discontinued and not even available aftermarket.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 9, 2018

Honda HRX217K5VKAA Auto Choke is the WORST design in Honda Mower history. DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE OF HONDA MOWER WITH THE AUTO CHOKE. I've had to replace my auto choke 3 times PER YEAR. Buyer beware. It's a $600 pile of dog turds. It's a simple fix. Just look it up on YouTube and save yourself service charges.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I purchased the “best” Honda lawnmower (HRX2175HZA) in their line for $850.00 in January. Kept it covered in my garage over the winter and tried to use it for the first time earlier this week. Filled it with gas, opened the fuel shut-off valve and gas immediately began spewing all over my garage. Was unable to use this new mower even once because of fuel leakage. I tried to post a negative review on the Honda website, but my review has not been published on their site. This is likely why Honda has such overwhelmingly positive reviews on their site - they simply don’t allow negative review to be posted. The selling dealer picked up the mower on 4/30/2018; they estimate it will take until 5/21/2018 to fix the unit. So I have shelled out a lot of money for the mower and will have to pay someone $50 each time to have my lawn mowed. This is the first - and last - Honda mower I will ever buy. It is absolute junk!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I bought this high end 2017 Honda 217 self propelled mower for over 700 dollars in the spring, ran it for 3 months this year. Maybe 5 to 6 times. Just changed the break-in oil. I always keep it clean and use car cleaner on it to keep it nice. I washed it the last time I cut the grass. I went to use it for leaves the following week, I could not get it to go backwards. The rear wheels were dragging from going backwards, but would go forward.

I called the Honda dealer. They said this is common problem with Honda mowers. It could be the gear in the wheels jammed up from grass or the bearing on the shaft seized to the shaft from getting wet. Well isn't that great. Honda lets the power wheels get dirt and water in there to cause problems, instead of sealing them, I will never buy another Honda mower. It's just so stupid to leave that cover off and cause mower repairs, of a new mower. Honda recall the mowers with the wheel problem. Put a cover on the wheels. I have to wait a week to use my new mower now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: July 13, 2017

Honda HRX217HYA - This mower started hard from beginning. When I would engage blades sometimes it would stall engine, I would restart then seemed fine. After 2 1/2 years into a 5 year warranty motor stopped and I could not pull cord. I live in Michigan. I believe the mower was used 30-40 hrs. at the most. When I was troubleshooting the motor problems I took out the spark plug and pulled the cord and it pulled fine. I drained all the oil out of the machine, put in new oil put plug in and tried to pull cord. The motor would not allow cord to be pulled. I took the motor to a certified Honda repair shop. Honda talked directly to the repairman working on my machine and told him I did not buy the machine at his dealership and did not fill out my warranty card??

The repairman took apart the motor and said it got hot, the oil was all black and full of metal chips. I found this odd because I had put new oil in the motor before I took it to the repair shop. The repairman sent pictures into Honda and Honda told the repairman over the telephone they would not honor the 5 year warranty because I did not follow the maintenance correctly. I tried having it reopened and it was only turned down once again. I believe I was mistreated and will never buy a Honda product or buy anything from that service center ever again. I will also tell everyone I know about my experience.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought a Honda Self Propelled Lawn mower at Home depot in Ada, Oklahoma. I used it on my 40 foot x 50 foot front lawn 4 times. It began smoking and running terrible. I took it to the authorized Honda repair Dealer (Honda-Polaris of Shawnee, Oklahoma) on 3 separate occasions to have it fixed. It's a 120 mile round trip each way. On the last trip yesterday- Saturday, July 8th, 2017. They had previously said it was the automatic choke- which they replaced... Which had no effect. I told them they could have my mower as I couldn't continue making 120 mile round trips.

I bought another 650.00 upgraded new Honda mower. After arriving home I started mowing. For some reason the blade disengagement began to take place without any reason. I called the dealer and they said it was a factory defect... This is a brand new one hour old mower. I'm giving it away as I can't take the stress. I am also selling my Honda motorcycle as I want to cut all ties with this company.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Purchased Honda lawn mower HRR21 Smart Drive at Home Depot in 6/15. Have owned 2 previous Honda mowers which have been flawless over past 20 years. Honda new mower is a piece of junk, pure and simple. Bolts came off front drive tire and tire fell off in first 6 months. Self fixed but has happened a couple of times since. I am now on the 3rd recoil starter assembly for this mower which has now broken again. I have owned brands of lawnmowers, multiple chainsaws, log splitters, leaf vacuum, etc. and NEVER had issues such as this with one piece of equipment... Avoid this product!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I own a Honda HRX2172HMA lawnmower. I bought it on the recommendation of Consumer Reports Magazine. What a tragic mistake this was! I paid a premium price for this piece of junk. Here are some of the problems I've encountered: The bolt that holds the handlebar fell off and is impossible to attach back. The electric starter died so I must start the mower by hand now. Opening up the oil cap mysteriously starts oil flowing through the air filter now. I have trashed several air filters already due to this strange problem. Like others here, I was conned into thinking Honda is a reputable name. Please save your money and get a cheaper lawnmower. Honda is the worst!

Original review: April 25, 2017

I bought this HRR216VKA Honda mower in April 18, 2013, with my Discover Card at Home Depot. I have used it to cut my Bermuda grass lawn (this grass is dormant for 6 months of the year) until 2016 when it began to start only after more than 9 or 10 tries per use. It stopped entirely September of 2016. I replaced the filter and spark plug and even purchased a new carburetor and still could not get it started. I took it to a repair shop and it was diagnosed as having engine compression of only 60. I called the Honda office in Alpharetta Georgia and the phone system directions were to seek a dealer for repairs (could not get a live person).

I then went shopping for a new mower and I saw plenty of Honda Mowers but I now avoid them because the repair shop told me that Honda no longer manufacture the engines which gave the Honda such a good name. The engine's new design are cheaply produced and will not last. The repairman refuses to work on Honda mower engines. I lost out on the $470.54 dollars that I paid for this mower. No more Hondas for me. Unable to locate receipt but I can probably get proof of the charge from Discover.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information