Honda Lawn Mowers
2.04/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

126 Honda Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I bought this mower new off the display rack. With the supposedly high rating I felt safe with it. That came to a quick end the first time I pulled the cord and was left with it dangling in my hand. Brand new, first pull, and Northern is telling me 'It's not covered on your warranty' (harbinger of things to come). LOOONNNG story short, the mower sits in my shed, will not start, has had several replacement cords, oil & gas shoot-out off the Muffler when the engine is pulled over (No matter how many times you pull the plug and clean/dry the thing out), and yup, you guessed it, 'It's not covered by your warranty.' DO NOT buy a mower from these inept people and STEER CLEAR OF HONDAS!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

Bought the Honda HRX217VKA mower about 4 years to do touch up work mostly as I have tractors for the fields and lawns. Bought the Honda because it was rated superior to the generics with B&S or Kohler engines. It replaced a generic "John Deere" which rusted away in record time and blew a valve. The Honda was always hard to start, new gas old gas whatever. Used it for two years and last year it just wouldn't start so I just stored it under a lean top with a cover. Today, I decided to take a look at it to see if I could start. Put in new gas, Sea Foam and wrenched my shoulder pulling the darn starter for about a half hour. I cannot recommend any gasoline mower, I will go with an electric next spring.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

Mower is one year old. After mowing for ~30 min the mower quit. Stuck valve due to "bad gas" not covered under warranty. How can varnish from "bad gas" be stronger than the valve spring? Honda dealer told me they stopped selling Honda mowers for many reasons and the valve issue is one of them. He also said he has had at least 10 Honda mowers in this season for the same issue and another dealer had had about 25 so far. Hmmmm. Bad gas?? Now it won’t start w/o starting fluid. Turns out the carb gasket is an issue and (get this) the butterfly shaft area is so worn that air is leaking through it causing the problem. The fix is a new carb! Mower is only 1 year old! Carb shaft issues is not covered under warranty either! I am done with Honda small engines. Will sell it next spring and get a Toro. There should be a class action suit for the valve issue and Honda's claim that its "bad gas". Really Honda? Really? Have you no conscience?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I am completely unsatisfied with the after sale service of this highly advertised name and brand of this Lawn Mower. The product reached me in flawed condition from Mowers Direct in unsecured original ripped box. After opening I found that the electric start will not work. I went through its Manual. It stated that if the electric start did not work start the engine with pulling the string and use it for about couple of hours to recharge the battery that may drain and lose power due to shelf life. I did the same. The self-start again did not work. I did the same. After a few pulls, the engine started, I used it for about the time suggested. Stopped and tried to start again by using electric start. No. It will not start. Immediately I contacted Mowers Direct customer service but they will not accept any responsibility and asked me to contact the Honda Technical support stating that they will not accept it back as it is Honda responsibility.

The latter, when contacted, asked me to take it to Honda dealer. Honda dealer refused to accept the brand new Lawn Mower and advised me to speak to the supplier, the Mowers Direct. Again the Mowers Direct stated that this product has been supplied it by Honda and that it is the responsibility of Honda and that I need to contact the Honda Tech Support. Again Honda Tech Support tried to off load me by asking me take it to Honda Dealer. On my refusing and asking to speak to their manager, they sent me a battery asking me to replace it myself. I still wonder what will happen if the product had been even a few weeks old. I did the same. The new battery started the engine. But after one week, I found that the electric start will not work again.

On 8/12/15 I spoke to in Honda Technical Sport again. He advised me again to take it Sports Honda, 911 Middlesex avenue, Bound Brook, NJ 08840 (Phone: 770-497-6400), the Honda Dealer. I took it to them the next day on 8/13/2015. They told me that it will take them three to four weeks time to have a look on it and that I should contact the after that and that if there is any part to be replaced which is not covered by the warranty, I will have to pay for their labor charges. Having no other alternative, I have to leave the brand new machine with them. In the meantime, I am wondering as to what to do with growing grass in my yard. What a quality control and after sale service by Honda? It deserves to be given 1 out of 10. I have given one as it started by pulling the string. I give 0 for supplier, 0 for quality control and 0 for after sale service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

Bought mower 2 months ago, maybe 3. On 5th time cutting grass it will not run more than 1 minute. No way to adjust "auto" choke. Tried new gas and new plug. No difference. I bought this after having to repair another brand for two years (after 13 years of great service). Honda engine never failed so I bought this mower at Home Depot. Not happy at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

I purchased a Honda Mower two years ago from Home Depot. Was told that Honda was the best. What a piece of crap. Honda said it a "one pull start mower". Yeah right. Picked it up from the repair shop today. This makes four times I have had to take it in. You can pull it all day and it never starts. This time I was told it needed a new safety start switch. $78.00. Last time it needed a carburetor. Still hard to start.

It is #HRR216VKA self propelled with mulch, discharge or bag. I use the bag and it too is a very poor design. Second time I used it the grass catcher came off the back of the mower and I fell across it. Had to be taken to the ER to have my leg x-rayed. I could barely walk for two weeks. My last mower was a Lawn Boy. Used it for 10 years, only had to do regular maintenance. It cut my grass and my HOA's grass every week with no problems. That's over an acre and 1/2 of grass a week. NEVER AGAIN HONDA... YOU HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

Honda HRX217 - So this will be the second mower this has happened to in the last year. First mower had cracked the motor housing within 2 months of use. The second took about 6 months but the plastic deck that the motor sits on should be lifetime warranted according to the box. Well 6 months later after the first exchange the deck cracked right around the motor mounts. Well when I called to use the lifetime warranty from Honda on the deck and have it replaced, they told me the warranty is not good because the mower was used more than the proper use for the mower. I think I used the mower about 26 times in that 6 months and that too much according to them. Honda mowers are junk and I will never use their products again. They lie about it being the best mower and the warranty is a lie.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

18 years old still starts on the first try every time, never had it repaired. Finally the transmission is failing but still works. The wheels need replacing so I am going for another one.

Original review: July 25, 2015

This is my third Honda mower so I've had plenty of experience with them. I saved up $800 to get the electric start because I'm getting old and have a bad neck and back so didn't want a pull start. The mower works great, the starter works fine, the four adjustable wheels for lawn height could be easier to use but it's real nice to be able to leave the lawn nice and long so you can use way less water but... The grass catcher set-up and bag Stink!!!

I have a very small lawn - I use to run outside and get it mowed in 30 minutes with both my old Honda mowers - not a single problem. This new HRX217HZA has the Worst Grass Catcher I've ever seen on any mower - IMHO whoever designed it Should Be Fired!!! It doesn't catch all the grass clippings - the top section actually 'collects' the clippings so when you go to empty the bag you have tons of clippings caught up above the bag on a 'grass clipping shelf' that you have to manually clean out with your fingers and throw into the bag - but you can't even get all the clippings out using your fingers - no biggie you think???

Well here's the deal - I shake out the bag well and sweep the mower off as good as possible with a soft broom before putting it away. The next time I go to use it dried crap starts flying out hitting me in the face and eyes and continues to do so for quite a while until the catcher starts filling up with fresh lawn clipping (I have allergies and this totally aggravates them) - it also means I have to change clothes and brush my hair after mowing and shake my clothing outside to get all the lawn clippings off my clothes. Mind you, I have swept out as many clippings as possible and cleaned out the bag as well as possible after every use and this still happens.

The ONLY way I have found to keep debris from flying up and hitting me in the face is to use a blower on high and blow out every inch of the mower and inside the bag before putting it away. This required me having to spend even more money on top of the $800 for the mower to buy a blower just to keep the damn mower clean - plus more work and time - my 30 minute lawn now takes twice as long to mow and I have to clean off my clothes and hair.

Hey Honda - I have an idea: Why don't you try 'testing' things before you put them on the market? You charge a premium price and I'm willing to pay it for a quality piece of equipment - like both Honda mowers I've had in the past but your New Disposal Design Sucks Big Time - enough to make me buy a different brand next time around and educate everyone I ever talk to about your designs.

Original review: July 23, 2015

I'm really angry with the lack of quality in the Honda GVC 160 motor. I have had 2 of them and had bad luck with both. The first one was on a Honda lawnmower. It lasted 2 years and died. The second and last one was on a Toro lawnmower, it lasted a year. Honda is supposed to make quality engines, what happened to the two I had?? I'm not buying Honda lawnmower engines again, specifically the GVC 160cc. Now maybe other Honda products are just fine, but I won't buy another Honda lawnmower engine again. BTW I had a Toro with a Tecumseh that lasted 10 years!!

Original review: July 18, 2015

Honda HRX217VKA 21 inch 190 engine - After having had a Craftsman mower with a Honda engine for nearly 15 years, I was ready to buy a new mower. I researched diligently (over the winter) and bought the subject mower from Home Depot for $600. Assembly in the driveway and the first mow went great. The mower did cut and mulch a longer than typical lawn very well (I didn't use the bag). When I went to start it for the next mow - it didn't. Didn't start. And didn't start. I called Honda and spoke with a tech rep, who promptly blamed me for not using fresh gas. And his definition of fresh gas was less than a week old! Said I should drain the tank and try again. I didn't, but I did add a small amount of gas additive to reduce the effect of ethanol and stabilize the fuel. Still didn't start.

Now, my old Craftsman/Honda mower would start on the second pull in the spring with the gas left in it from the fall. Go figure! Though it was more than 30 days old, my local Home Depot reluctantly gave me a store credit, which I will use, but not for a Honda! Dependability is way overrated. Before the Craftsman, I had an original Toro mulcher for over twenty years. Perhaps a new Toro?

Original review: July 4, 2015

I purchased a self-propelled electric start lawn mower at the tune of $900.00, as I have health issues and wanted one which I did not have to pull the rope. And Honda was suppose to have a good rating for lawn mowers in the type of features I wanted. 2 complaints right away is the gas tank is too small and have to fill it 2 times just to mow my backyard. To change the oil, I have to tip the mower on its side. Oh my poor back. The next issue is the electric start. Sometimes the electric starter does not engage the motor and just spins so then I have to use the pull rope. Oh my poor back. Yes the battery is fully charged. The next thing that happened is the transition went bad and had to replace it to the tune of $500.50. I do not recommend a Honda mower for the above reasons. My next mower sure will not be a Honda.

Original review: June 19, 2015

I purchased my lawn mower 2 months ago. I explained to the dealer that I needed self-propelled due to the fact that my front card is on a slight incline and my age. He assured me that I would have no problem with the mower that I purchased. My issue is with the tires. There is slight tread on them which causes the mower to slip as I am mowing. I didn't notice this problem in the spring as the grass had enough moisture to assist in the traction however, now that the grass has becoming dryer, I am experiencing problems.

I took it back to the dealer to see if there are any other tires. He commented that he has heard of this problem from others and that Honda only makes the one tire. My question is, if this is a problem, why is Honda not doing anything to make the necessary corrections? Please be aware that I have lived at this address for 15 years and have not had this problem with any other mowers that I have owned (Troy, John Deere). It is pretty sad to make a good product and have cheap sub par tires that make the item not effective.

Original review: June 13, 2015

My mower keeps clogging up in wet or thicker grass. I keep the blades sharp but still isn't any better. Simply put I took the flat blade off and it works fine. I don't know if they just want to sell you two blades that cost twice as much or they just don't want to admit they got a bad design, but if you go to one mulching blade the mower cuts and works great.

Original review: June 2, 2015

I bought a new Honda self propelled variable engine speed, variable drive speed, rear bagger, with blade clutch, rope start, and automatic choke in the spring of 2013. It came with a five year warranty. In the fall of 2013, the choke would not close automatically making it impossible to start without starting fluid. I removed the filter assembly housing to see if the outside of the carb had debris preventing it from working. It was clean as a whistle. So took it in for warranty repairs.

Got it back... Summer 2014 worked ok, but when you release the drive handle while still holding the blade engage handle in place the blade would release, too! Happened about 6-8 times each time I mowed. Also, in the fall the NEW choke was sticking too. So I took it in over the winter for two repairs. They had it for 6 weeks!! They reworked the carb again and so far so good on the choke (It's June of 2015). They replaced the hand control unit that does blade, drive and speed control. It's better than it was but still it disengages the 3-5 times when I mowed the yard. So while we were going on vacation for two weeks, we took it back and they worked on it again. Got it back and it immediately was doing the same thing.

I asked the Honda dealer what happens when I get to three repairs for the same thing. Is there a lemon law for lawn mowers like cars? NOPE! "You can bring it in for five years warranty and they'll fix it each time no charge"... was the reply. After that I'll just have to PAY for repairs. I bought the Honda instead of the Toro (I'd been using Toro's and Craftsman for 30 years) as I was told Honda was "the best". What a piece of junk! I'll never ever buy a Honda lawn mower again!

Original review: May 25, 2015

Honda is a great engine but the auto choke goes bad and uses twice as much gas and chokes out on none pull. Mower is 11 years old.

Original review: May 11, 2015

In 1987, I bought a Honda HR3813 lawn tractor after a horrible experience with a Lowe's tractor. It was in the shop 3 times for over 3 weeks the first summer. The Honda has NEVER been in the shop and 28 years later still looks and runs like new. My neighbors all want it and will happily trade me their Poulans, Toros, Sears, etc. In 1992, I bought a Honda HRC 216 self propelled. It has been (almost) flawless in its performance for 23 years. The only thing I have done to either is cleaned the carbs.

I do not believe the newer Honda line is as good as the older ones. I think they have cheapened them in order to compete. I don't know what I would buy today, but it would not be a John Deere (entry level), Cub Cadet, Poulan, Sears because they are now all built by MTD or some other (what I would call 2nd rate) "stamp-em-out" mfr. Even though you can get Honda engines in them, the other components just don't hold up. It is almost overkill to put a Honda engine in these because the engine will probably far outlast the rest of the machine. Briggs & Stratton makes a "good" engine for the money, but it can't compare with a Honda. All just my opinion.

Original review: May 10, 2015

I purchased this Honda HRX Quadra Cut mower from Lowe's about 8 years ago. It runs perfectly and starts with ease. It's the cut that I am having a problem with. No matter what I do, it leaves a ridge or a line of undercut grass along the left side of the mower, in between the centerline and the left wheels. I have taken it to the shop and was told there was nothing wrong with it. I had the blades professionally sharpened and that seemed to help for a while. I love this mower but I am ready to move on and get something else. Honda customer service was absolutely no help.

Original review: May 5, 2015

After using it I put it away for the winter with stabilizer in the fuel and got it out in the spring and it wouldn't start without starting fluid. Adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help the choke adjustment. It’s doing the same thing this spring. I change the oil spark plug air cleaner and put stabilizer in it on a regular basis. Very frustrating these Honda lawnmowers.

Original review: May 4, 2015

HRR2165VXA purchased new in 3/09 for over $500. The clutch went out one year later & fixed under warranty. The clutch went out AGAIN one year later & fixed under warranty. The clutch went out a 3rd time one year later & fixed under warranty and it just went out again but not under warranty. I have used it only for my home mowing only about 26-28 times a year on a 1/4 acre lot. Add to that, it took over 4 weeks each time to get it fixed "under warranty" and I had to hire a lawn service at $50 a pop. This has added $600 to the cost of owning a Honda mower and over $1100 with the purchase price. This is far and way the most expensive mower on the market and the worst. I had a LawnBoy for over 10 years, Snapper 14 years and a Craftsman for over 17 years with no repair costs. I will never again buy a Honda product as they have reduced the quality of their products and are relying on their past quality reputation.

Original review: April 25, 2015

Honda lawn mower HRX217VLA - ALL small engine mowers have a problem with ethanol in gasoline. Two things I have done. I am fortunate enough to have a gas station that sells ethanol free gasoline which I use in all of my small engine power tools. The other thing I use is "Sea Foam" fuel additive. So far so good. Been having a problem with the electric start on my Honda mower. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a bad battery. I have found that it is really tough to find good service on most everything. The authorized dealer I use-so far- seems to be pretty competent.

Original review: April 25, 2015

I bought the Honda Lawnmower HRX217VKA (fall 2013) because I'd had a Lawn Boy with a Honda engine. The wheels and blade and throttle control caused constant trouble. But year after year the engine started at the first pull, even after being left over the winter with old gas--I'm afraid I didn't always treat it with very much TLC. So when it came time to replace the old machine, I was certain that I wanted something with a Honda engine. And I thought if Honda made the rest of the machine, it should be more reliable than the Lawn Boy. From day one, I had trouble getting the new one started. And now at the beginning of its second year, even after having run out all the old gas at the end of last year, I can't get the thing to start at all.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I bought a Honda HR 173 push mower in 1985. I took it out yesterday and it started on the second pull of the crank. I believe the secret is running the gas out of the mower after use, changing the oil, filter and spark plug, and keeping the blade sharp. If this mower ever dies I will certainly buy another Honda...

Original review: April 4, 2015

I purchased a Honda mower in 04/25/1995 Harmony 215. I use it to mow about an acre of grass every week. And to this day 20 years later it still runs strong, starts up within 3 to 4 pulls. I would love to buy a new Honda mower (a new toy). But this one still runs great. Regular maintenance oil changes, 3 blades, plugs. Very simple. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

I purchase a Honda Lawn Mower from Home Depot - Harrisonburg, VA on 5 April 2014 and only used it five times, was having some difficulty in the mower. Wouldn't move forward and was very difficult pulling it back (appears that the wheels were semi-locked). I purchased another mower and used it the rest of the summer. I thought I will try and start the mower in December, again in January, and again this month without any results - IT WILL NOT START - I was going to give it to our daughter but now I am stuck with it! It is a sorry piece of equipment! This was my fifth Honda mower but there won't be another one for sure.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I bought a hrs216 3 years ago and it still starts and runs great. 18 months after purchase, the rear wheels stopped rolling backwards. Took it to a repair center and they replaced the transmission under warranty. Now 18 month later, it no longer rolls backwards again. Unfortunately, it's no longer under warranty and I will not waste $175 + labor to repair it for another 18 months. I plan to sell it and I will never buy another honda mower. It's such a shame since they "used to be good mowers."

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Had mower for about a year self propelled. It stopped Pulling. Pulled the wheels gear that drives wheel, wore out. Bought two new gears, installed them and started lawn mower. It took off just right for about 20 feet. Then just the right wheel would turn. I said must be something else so brought to Honda dealer. He took the off, called me and said the transmission was bad. All wheel parts had to be replaced and could be repaired for about 390.00. Charged to pull off wheels - 60.00. Gave everything back to me in a box. Never even put it back together. Another Honda dealer said he would fix the but his price closer to 400.00. Can this be repaired?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I'm on my 3rd Honda mower this year. The first (HRX217VKA) did pretty fine for about 5 months, then the belt for the self-propelled system broke, and everything else started to go with it as well. The lack of a true throttle for this machine really caused me a lot of headaches with thicker/wetter lawns. The plastic parts just did not hold up well either. So, I bought a newer HRX217HYA two weeks ago. What an absolute piece of junk this model is. By my third lawn, the pull cord would not retract properly, and I could not start the machine. Took it back to the Home Depot where I bought it, and they showed me the three others (same model) in the back that had been returned with the same problem. I had not ever had a Honda mower previously, but had always heard good things. Maybe it's this current year's models, but count me out as a future owner of these mowers. For the high prices they charge, these mowers should be lasting several years, not several weeks or days.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

I purchased a Honda self-propelled two years ago. Less than a month later, mower would not crank. Returned it to the store and they replaced it with a new mower. After a couple of uses, new mower would not start. I should have learned my lesson then and demanded my money back! I now have to give it a little shot of starting fluid each time before cranking.

New problem - Before the end of first year of use, wheels lock and will not roll in reverse! It made it very difficult to mow, but I managed. Spring of second year, it not only locked and would not reverse, it would pull itself. After mowing my half acre without self propel several times, I returned it to the store again. It was under warranty, so they sent it away for repairs. Five weeks later, I get my mower back and had to pay $28.00 for a bushing that they said was not under warranty!!?? I used the mower one time and now it is locked and will not reverse and the mower will put pull itself!

Thought I was buying a quality mower, but boy was I wrong! Nothing but problems and frustration! I will NEVER own another Honda lawn product! YOU ARE NOW WARNED!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I have the solution for everybody's Honda carb issues. Remove the Honda engine from deck, get a Briggs and Stratton engine and mount to deck. Works great. Have had no starting issues or mowing issues - great mower now. Maybe Honda should take note and pass on to tech support dept.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information