Honda Lawn Mowers
2.04/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

126 Honda Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I bought this high end 2017 Honda 217 self propelled mower for over 700 dollars in the spring, ran it for 3 months this year. Maybe 5 to 6 times. Just changed the break-in oil. I always keep it clean and use car cleaner on it to keep it nice. I washed it the last time I cut the grass. I went to use it for leaves the following week, I could not get it to go backwards. The rear wheels were dragging from going backwards, but would go forward.

I called the Honda dealer. They said this is common problem with Honda mowers. It could be the gear in the wheels jammed up from grass or the bearing on the shaft seized to the shaft from getting wet. Well isn't that great. Honda lets the power wheels get dirt and water in there to cause problems, instead of sealing them, I will never buy another Honda mower. It's just so stupid to leave that cover off and cause mower repairs, of a new mower. Honda recall the mowers with the wheel problem. Put a cover on the wheels. I have to wait a week to use my new mower now.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Honda HRX217HYA - This mower started hard from beginning. When I would engage blades sometimes it would stall engine, I would restart then seemed fine. After 2 1/2 years into a 5 year warranty motor stopped and I could not pull cord. I live in Michigan. I believe the mower was used 30-40 hrs. at the most. When I was troubleshooting the motor problems I took out the spark plug and pulled the cord and it pulled fine. I drained all the oil out of the machine, put in new oil put plug in and tried to pull cord. The motor would not allow cord to be pulled. I took the motor to a certified Honda repair shop. Honda talked directly to the repairman working on my machine and told him I did not buy the machine at his dealership and did not fill out my warranty card??

The repairman took apart the motor and said it got hot, the oil was all black and full of metal chips. I found this odd because I had put new oil in the motor before I took it to the repair shop. The repairman sent pictures into Honda and Honda told the repairman over the telephone they would not honor the 5 year warranty because I did not follow the maintenance correctly. I tried having it reopened and it was only turned down once again. I believe I was mistreated and will never buy a Honda product or buy anything from that service center ever again. I will also tell everyone I know about my experience.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought a Honda Self Propelled Lawn mower at Home depot in Ada, Oklahoma. I used it on my 40 foot x 50 foot front lawn 4 times. It began smoking and running terrible. I took it to the authorized Honda repair Dealer (Honda-Polaris of Shawnee, Oklahoma) on 3 separate occasions to have it fixed. It's a 120 mile round trip each way. On the last trip yesterday- Saturday, July 8th, 2017. They had previously said it was the automatic choke- which they replaced... Which had no effect. I told them they could have my mower as I couldn't continue making 120 mile round trips.

I bought another 650.00 upgraded new Honda mower. After arriving home I started mowing. For some reason the blade disengagement began to take place without any reason. I called the dealer and they said it was a factory defect... This is a brand new one hour old mower. I'm giving it away as I can't take the stress. I am also selling my Honda motorcycle as I want to cut all ties with this company.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Purchased Honda lawn mower HRR21 Smart Drive at Home Depot in 6/15. Have owned 2 previous Honda mowers which have been flawless over past 20 years. Honda new mower is a piece of junk, pure and simple. Bolts came off front drive tire and tire fell off in first 6 months. Self fixed but has happened a couple of times since. I am now on the 3rd recoil starter assembly for this mower which has now broken again. I have owned brands of lawnmowers, multiple chainsaws, log splitters, leaf vacuum, etc. and NEVER had issues such as this with one piece of equipment... Avoid this product!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I own a Honda HRX2172HMA lawnmower. I bought it on the recommendation of Consumer Reports Magazine. What a tragic mistake this was! I paid a premium price for this piece of junk. Here are some of the problems I've encountered: The bolt that holds the handlebar fell off and is impossible to attach back. The electric starter died so I must start the mower by hand now. Opening up the oil cap mysteriously starts oil flowing through the air filter now. I have trashed several air filters already due to this strange problem. Like others here, I was conned into thinking Honda is a reputable name. Please save your money and get a cheaper lawnmower. Honda is the worst!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: April 25, 2017

I bought this HRR216VKA Honda mower in April 18, 2013, with my Discover Card at Home Depot. I have used it to cut my Bermuda grass lawn (this grass is dormant for 6 months of the year) until 2016 when it began to start only after more than 9 or 10 tries per use. It stopped entirely September of 2016. I replaced the filter and spark plug and even purchased a new carburetor and still could not get it started. I took it to a repair shop and it was diagnosed as having engine compression of only 60. I called the Honda office in Alpharetta Georgia and the phone system directions were to seek a dealer for repairs (could not get a live person).

I then went shopping for a new mower and I saw plenty of Honda Mowers but I now avoid them because the repair shop told me that Honda no longer manufacture the engines which gave the Honda such a good name. The engine's new design are cheaply produced and will not last. The repairman refuses to work on Honda mower engines. I lost out on the $470.54 dollars that I paid for this mower. No more Hondas for me. Unable to locate receipt but I can probably get proof of the charge from Discover.

Original review: April 5, 2017

We bought our Honda HR215K1HMA mower in '99, for about a thousand bucks, but knowing Honda's reputation, I felt comfortable with our decision. It has been a flawless machine. The hydrostatic drive is amazing, enabling me to slow down for patches of high grass with fingertip control. The blade and chute design allows me to cut and bag grass even in the rain. After all this time, the only thing we've replaced, aside from routine maintenance items, is the front wheel bearings.

And today, I discovered a broken tooth on the starter drive motor. After only 18 years. Geez, it's about time something broke. I've used only Honda engines on all the power equipment we've owned over the years, and all have given us amazing service and reliability. I wouldn't buy another brand of small engine. Our Honda snow blower is a local legend, especially after the 32" snow we had last year. Keep in mind that no matter what brand you buy, regular (and I don't mean every five years) maintenance is critical. If it moves, lubricate it. If it squeaks, you're too late.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Bought this Honda HRR216VKA lawn mower from Home Depot in mid November 2016. Used it 4 times at most and then because of rainy winter it went into shed with fuel stabilizer. Mid March took it out and it won't run. Put in new fuel and new spark plug. Still won't run. I spent $432 on a lawn mower that lasted less than 3 months. Honda says I need to take it to the Honda repair shop and that they might cover the repair if it is a manufacturing defect. The shop tells me if it is the carburetor having fuel in it over winter that might cause the problem and it won't be covered under warranty. It will be another $40 for the carburetor plus cost for repair hours. I think this is an engineering defect not a manufacturing defect. No product should be this easily damaged by 3 months storage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Bought this mower based on Consumer Reports reviews and other reviews on the web. The actual model# is hrr216k9pda, but all of the double blade models are basically the same. It always starts on the first pull, the engine seems to be the only part of this mower that is excellent. The rest of the mower seems to have been designed by a bunch of monkeys. First off, in mulch mode the mower will randomly leave strips of unmowed grass throughout the lawn. I doubled checked multiple times to see if it was user error and it was not. It's funny because one of the reasons I bought this mower was because it had two blades, figuring it would definitely give me a nice clean cut, but no!

Then there is no side discharge chute. If you take the mower out of mulch mode into bag mode it discharges out the back, right on your feet and legs and leaves large clumps of grass clippings as if you were looking at a field of freshly mowed hay ready to be baked. It did cut more evenly in bag mode, but I had to get my blower out to disperse the lumps of grass cuttings (the lawn was not high) which just added more time and annoyance to the job. The wheels wore down very quickly and the cool adjustment knob to make the handle bars fold for storage fell apart after the second yr. Also after 2 yrs the deck split underneath where the blade is and then again by the front wheel. I was surprised to see the deck get compromised like that, usually the deck is the last thing to go.

This has never happen to me on any of my other (cheaper) mowers that I had for a much longer time period. I paid $400 for this mower and it is definitely not a quality mower. Also, there is no support from Honda, you cannot call them and speak to a tech about your issues or parts or anything. You have to take it to a authorized Honda dealer and deal with them, and as noted in other posts this is not always a pleasant experience. They seem to think their mower is flawless and look at you like you're from Mars when you bring up legitimate issues with the mower. In short, I can't speak for all their mowers, but this mower was a piece of crap wrapped up in the illusion of quality. Don't get fooled!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

We purchased our Honda 186cc Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at the end of May '16 and less than 6 months in and all of a sudden stopped working. We've put in gas, filled the oil and were even recommended to check the spark plugs - which it will now run for about 1-2 minutes and then stop. After multiple calls to customer service we were directed to the nearest repair shop who is 5 days behind and won't even be able to give a diagnoses for another week. Customer service also said that depending on what the issue is this repair may not be covered under Honda's warranty.

Absolutely ridiculous that after spending this much money on what we thought was a trusted product and only having used it a total of maybe 10 times, we now come to find out that they really don't value their customers based on the service they've provided as well as stand behind their equipment. I will never recommend this or any other of Honda's products moving forward and unfortunately wished I would've seen the previous reviews sooner as it looks like everyone on here is having the SAME exact problems.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information