Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda Lawn Mowers

2.0/5 (102 ratings)

About Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. Read reviews for their models:

Honda Lawn Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Lawn Mowers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: March 22, 2021

Purchased a brand new Honda lawn mower from Lowe's. After unboxing the mower, come to find there was no bottle of oil, or owners manual. Customer service advised to take the mower back to Lowe's. Are you kidding me! They would not send me the oil and tried to blame Lowe's for not having it in the box. I explained that the box was sealed and that the problem started at the factory for not including the oil or the manual. Also explained how the mower was a gift and could not be returned for a simple correction on Honda's end. Zero help from the brain dead customer service rep. Advise anyone willing to purchase these expensive mowers, to open the box first and check for all the supposed parts that should be included.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I purchased a Honda self propelled mower two years ago and have taken back to the dealer a number of time with a problem that when you try to pull the mower backward the drive system will not release. I have also written to Honda Australia and they just tell me to go back to the dealer. It failed after the second mowing and fails every time I get it back from the dealer. I think if this is a problem maybe a Class Action maybe the go, if found to be a manufacturer design. Honda you are liable for fault equipment.

Get buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Bought my Honda Lawnmower just 3 months ago and it already broke down. They claim that I need to check the oil level every 5 hrs for the first day and every 24 hrs. What the hell?.. The engine is **... I need to maintain this piece of ** more than it lawns. I wouldnt even buy this worthless equipment even if they offered it to me for free. Stay away from it.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Since I bought my 2015 Honda mower, it has been back for repair once or twice a year since, always with problems associated with the rear wheels. The 5 year warranty has saved me from $120-250 in maintenance per year, but when the warranty ends the mower will be too costly to maintain. Honda will not respond to me directly, only to the "authorized service center." The center tells me Honda is probably the worst in the industry for sharing data and responsiveness. If the problem problem persists, I intend to hang a sign "FREE" on the mower, leaving it on the curb for someone to take home. I am in my 70's and have never had a lawnmower back in the shop for repair, EVER.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I bought this machine 3 years ago and since then it has been back to the distributor 2 times for the same problem. When pulling the machine in reverse the rear drive wheels "drag/lock up." This makes cutting the grass very difficult since at some point during your work you're pulling 80 some pounds of metal The distributor replaced the transmission in summer of 2017. I continued to have the same problem and returned it in May of 2019 for the same problem. They state there’s nothing wrong with it, yet I’m the one that uses it, not them. I have to conclude that the HRR216VYA is a substandard machine.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Bought a Honda Walk Behind Mower from Home Depot for the House. After 3-1/2 years of light residential use the transmission failed. Honda dealers want $390 to fix the mower. No warranty, no help of any kind... What happened to Honda quality. Never again...

Original review: April 17, 2019

Purchased on July 7, 1983. Still going strong 34 years. I remember telling my husband that's a lot of money for a lawnmower. Best money ever spent. My husband passed away in 2017. When I had a few problems took it to Savoy Equipment Vernon B.C. Had a carborator job done. Now it's running better than ever. I love my Honda mower. Just hope when the time comes the quality is the same. Also own a Honda GX25 Rototiller and a 2003 Honda Accord. Thanks Honda. Life is easier with great products.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I would have been fairly happy with it overall, except the third time I used it (on my 0.4 acre lot) the aluminum housing broke while I was in the middle of mowing. I took it to the local Honda dealer who told me that the damage 'tells a story' that the mower was either shoved under a deck or hit with a car. However, there is not a single scratch out the outside of the red plastic housing, which would certainly be present if I had hit the lawn mower with enough force to break the metal engine casing like that.

I called the Honda warranty number, and Honda customer service, but they both told me that my only recourse was to go through the dealer who would then contact the tech line who make the decision over whether something will be covered by the warranty. I also spoke to a great small engine repairman who unfortunately (but not surprisingly) is not a Honda service dealer. His opinion was that the mower was likely damaged in transit before I ever got it, and that the retail and the manufacturer will both want to point to the other to take the blame, and I the customer will end up eating the bill. He further said that Honda essentially has no warranty at all because every decision on a warranty claim is ‘not a manufacturer’s defect.’ What a waste of 400 dollars.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I purchased this mower in March 2017. Within a few weeks the rear wheels begin to lock up when pulled backward. I took it back to the Honda dealer and they made a few adjustments. It worked okay for a few months and began the locking up business again. I've been using it this year and can get the mower to pull backwards without the rear wheels locking up by spraying lubricant in the gearbox, but that is not always successful. If you look on the internet this is obviously a common problem with the Honda self propelled. Why in the world, Honda hasn't corrected this I don't know. I'll try again with the local dealer. If he refuses to fix it at no cost, it goes to Habitat for Humanity and I'm buying another brand, never to consider Honda again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Pros of the Old Harmony 215 PXA vs the New HRC 216 PDA: (Both these mowers are walk behind push). Engine is quieter. The plastic handle is more comfortable to push against, I would switch handles if I could. With the HRC, you are pushing against the small, round, metal handle that engages the engine and I find it uncomfortable. Manual choke. There are many complaints about the poor operability of the auto choke now in use. That is why I went with the HRC as it also has the manual choke.

Blade brake clutch. Mower keeps running when you release the handle to move a fallen branch or pull a few weeds. There is no need to try and restart a hot engine as with the HRC. Both have a throttle control, but I can't see much use in idling the engine if you have to stand there and hold the handle to keep it running; unless your partner is trying to tell you something and you want to be able to hear. I couldn't find any walk behind push mower with both the blade brake clutch and the manual choke.

Cons: The Harmony has the plastic deck. In my experience, it eventually cracks and the front wheels fall off. I have wired them on, but they are pretty floppy. There is no extended warranty listed for this deck. While mowing, the cut grass clogs behind the rear wheels, making it harder to push and drops clumps of grass all over the newly mown lawn. So far the HRC doesn't seem to do this. The shape of the steel deck seems to leave more room around the rear wheels.

In summary, the pros of the new HRC are the cleaner cut and easier push of the ball bearing wheels without any clumping and dumping of the rear wheels. I expected the new mower to be my primary mower, but after using it, l find I like the old mower better and will continue using it. It is quieter, more comfortable, more relaxing, and it has the blade brake clutch. There doesn't seem to be any new mower available with all the features of the old one.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information