Honda Lawn Mowers
1.99/5
Based on 91 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Honda Lawn Mowers

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

121 Honda Lawn Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have had my Honda for over 10 years and never had a problem with it. Only change the oil on schedule and replaced the spark plug every three years.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased this Honda HRX217VKA after reading many reviews and doing a ton of research on lawn mowers. it was pretty expensive compared to the other brands but I figured you get what you pay for and this was the top rated lawn mower on many sites. I noticed that after mowing my yard it never looked right. It had a slight lean to the cut and there are always sprigs that somehow don't get cut causing me to mow it over again. This morning when I started to mow the yard I heard a click. When I turned the mower I noticed that the wheel adjustment dropped.

I've never noticed this before as I change the height to different settings for the backyard. I took it back to Northern tools where it was purchased and was told that they would look at it and get back to me when it might be fixed. He also said that I might have to borrow someone else's lawn mower to do yard until fixed. I paid 599.00 for a top rated lawn mower less than 2 months ago and now I have to figure out how to get yard mowed until fixed. I guess I just expected more from Honda. The old Sears mower that I replaced was under 200.00 and I only had to cut yard once to get all sprigs of grass.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2018

HRB-215 lasted over 20 years until I ran it low on oil. Before that had to replace the trans after about 8 years. Other than that no problems. Hate to part with this machine. Also have a 15 year old HRX-217 with the hydrostatic drive. The biggest complaint about this is I used to have problems with the carb all the time. Clean fuel, drain fuel over winter and run dry and drain bowl. Did not matter. I was frequently having problems even during the season and pulling the carb to clean which is a pain. Finally got tired of this and added a generic in-line fuel filter in the hose.

That was 8-10 years ago and I have not had to pull the carb since and have not changed the filter. Not sure why the screen in the tank is not enough. Only recently started to use Mobil 1 synthetic changing the oil once a year. This mower is used to cut about 1/2 acre. Also have a 1990 Accord with almost 400k on it and runs like a champ. A lot of parts are being discontinued and not even available aftermarket.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Honda HRX217K5VKAA Auto Choke is the WORST design in Honda Mower history. DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE OF HONDA MOWER WITH THE AUTO CHOKE. I've had to replace my auto choke 3 times PER YEAR. Buyer beware. It's a $600 pile of dog turds. It's a simple fix. Just look it up on YouTube and save yourself service charges.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I purchased the “best” Honda lawnmower (HRX2175HZA) in their line for $850.00 in January. Kept it covered in my garage over the winter and tried to use it for the first time earlier this week. Filled it with gas, opened the fuel shut-off valve and gas immediately began spewing all over my garage. Was unable to use this new mower even once because of fuel leakage. I tried to post a negative review on the Honda website, but my review has not been published on their site. This is likely why Honda has such overwhelmingly positive reviews on their site - they simply don’t allow negative review to be posted. The selling dealer picked up the mower on 4/30/2018; they estimate it will take until 5/21/2018 to fix the unit. So I have shelled out a lot of money for the mower and will have to pay someone $50 each time to have my lawn mowed. This is the first - and last - Honda mower I will ever buy. It is absolute junk!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I bought this high end 2017 Honda 217 self propelled mower for over 700 dollars in the spring, ran it for 3 months this year. Maybe 5 to 6 times. Just changed the break-in oil. I always keep it clean and use car cleaner on it to keep it nice. I washed it the last time I cut the grass. I went to use it for leaves the following week, I could not get it to go backwards. The rear wheels were dragging from going backwards, but would go forward.

I called the Honda dealer. They said this is common problem with Honda mowers. It could be the gear in the wheels jammed up from grass or the bearing on the shaft seized to the shaft from getting wet. Well isn't that great. Honda lets the power wheels get dirt and water in there to cause problems, instead of sealing them, I will never buy another Honda mower. It's just so stupid to leave that cover off and cause mower repairs, of a new mower. Honda recall the mowers with the wheel problem. Put a cover on the wheels. I have to wait a week to use my new mower now.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Honda HRX217HYA - This mower started hard from beginning. When I would engage blades sometimes it would stall engine, I would restart then seemed fine. After 2 1/2 years into a 5 year warranty motor stopped and I could not pull cord. I live in Michigan. I believe the mower was used 30-40 hrs. at the most. When I was troubleshooting the motor problems I took out the spark plug and pulled the cord and it pulled fine. I drained all the oil out of the machine, put in new oil put plug in and tried to pull cord. The motor would not allow cord to be pulled. I took the motor to a certified Honda repair shop. Honda talked directly to the repairman working on my machine and told him I did not buy the machine at his dealership and did not fill out my warranty card??

The repairman took apart the motor and said it got hot, the oil was all black and full of metal chips. I found this odd because I had put new oil in the motor before I took it to the repair shop. The repairman sent pictures into Honda and Honda told the repairman over the telephone they would not honor the 5 year warranty because I did not follow the maintenance correctly. I tried having it reopened and it was only turned down once again. I believe I was mistreated and will never buy a Honda product or buy anything from that service center ever again. I will also tell everyone I know about my experience.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought a Honda Self Propelled Lawn mower at Home depot in Ada, Oklahoma. I used it on my 40 foot x 50 foot front lawn 4 times. It began smoking and running terrible. I took it to the authorized Honda repair Dealer (Honda-Polaris of Shawnee, Oklahoma) on 3 separate occasions to have it fixed. It's a 120 mile round trip each way. On the last trip yesterday- Saturday, July 8th, 2017. They had previously said it was the automatic choke- which they replaced... Which had no effect. I told them they could have my mower as I couldn't continue making 120 mile round trips.

I bought another 650.00 upgraded new Honda mower. After arriving home I started mowing. For some reason the blade disengagement began to take place without any reason. I called the dealer and they said it was a factory defect... This is a brand new one hour old mower. I'm giving it away as I can't take the stress. I am also selling my Honda motorcycle as I want to cut all ties with this company.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Purchased Honda lawn mower HRR21 Smart Drive at Home Depot in 6/15. Have owned 2 previous Honda mowers which have been flawless over past 20 years. Honda new mower is a piece of junk, pure and simple. Bolts came off front drive tire and tire fell off in first 6 months. Self fixed but has happened a couple of times since. I am now on the 3rd recoil starter assembly for this mower which has now broken again. I have owned brands of lawnmowers, multiple chainsaws, log splitters, leaf vacuum, etc. and NEVER had issues such as this with one piece of equipment... Avoid this product!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I own a Honda HRX2172HMA lawnmower. I bought it on the recommendation of Consumer Reports Magazine. What a tragic mistake this was! I paid a premium price for this piece of junk. Here are some of the problems I've encountered: The bolt that holds the handlebar fell off and is impossible to attach back. The electric starter died so I must start the mower by hand now. Opening up the oil cap mysteriously starts oil flowing through the air filter now. I have trashed several air filters already due to this strange problem. Like others here, I was conned into thinking Honda is a reputable name. Please save your money and get a cheaper lawnmower. Honda is the worst!

Original review: April 25, 2017

I bought this HRR216VKA Honda mower in April 18, 2013, with my Discover Card at Home Depot. I have used it to cut my Bermuda grass lawn (this grass is dormant for 6 months of the year) until 2016 when it began to start only after more than 9 or 10 tries per use. It stopped entirely September of 2016. I replaced the filter and spark plug and even purchased a new carburetor and still could not get it started. I took it to a repair shop and it was diagnosed as having engine compression of only 60. I called the Honda office in Alpharetta Georgia and the phone system directions were to seek a dealer for repairs (could not get a live person).

I then went shopping for a new mower and I saw plenty of Honda Mowers but I now avoid them because the repair shop told me that Honda no longer manufacture the engines which gave the Honda such a good name. The engine's new design are cheaply produced and will not last. The repairman refuses to work on Honda mower engines. I lost out on the $470.54 dollars that I paid for this mower. No more Hondas for me. Unable to locate receipt but I can probably get proof of the charge from Discover.

Original review: April 5, 2017

We bought our Honda HR215K1HMA mower in '99, for about a thousand bucks, but knowing Honda's reputation, I felt comfortable with our decision. It has been a flawless machine. The hydrostatic drive is amazing, enabling me to slow down for patches of high grass with fingertip control. The blade and chute design allows me to cut and bag grass even in the rain. After all this time, the only thing we've replaced, aside from routine maintenance items, is the front wheel bearings.

And today, I discovered a broken tooth on the starter drive motor. After only 18 years. Geez, it's about time something broke. I've used only Honda engines on all the power equipment we've owned over the years, and all have given us amazing service and reliability. I wouldn't buy another brand of small engine. Our Honda snow blower is a local legend, especially after the 32" snow we had last year. Keep in mind that no matter what brand you buy, regular (and I don't mean every five years) maintenance is critical. If it moves, lubricate it. If it squeaks, you're too late.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Bought this Honda HRR216VKA lawn mower from Home Depot in mid November 2016. Used it 4 times at most and then because of rainy winter it went into shed with fuel stabilizer. Mid March took it out and it won't run. Put in new fuel and new spark plug. Still won't run. I spent $432 on a lawn mower that lasted less than 3 months. Honda says I need to take it to the Honda repair shop and that they might cover the repair if it is a manufacturing defect. The shop tells me if it is the carburetor having fuel in it over winter that might cause the problem and it won't be covered under warranty. It will be another $40 for the carburetor plus cost for repair hours. I think this is an engineering defect not a manufacturing defect. No product should be this easily damaged by 3 months storage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Bought this mower based on Consumer Reports reviews and other reviews on the web. The actual model# is hrr216k9pda, but all of the double blade models are basically the same. It always starts on the first pull, the engine seems to be the only part of this mower that is excellent. The rest of the mower seems to have been designed by a bunch of monkeys. First off, in mulch mode the mower will randomly leave strips of unmowed grass throughout the lawn. I doubled checked multiple times to see if it was user error and it was not. It's funny because one of the reasons I bought this mower was because it had two blades, figuring it would definitely give me a nice clean cut, but no!

Then there is no side discharge chute. If you take the mower out of mulch mode into bag mode it discharges out the back, right on your feet and legs and leaves large clumps of grass clippings as if you were looking at a field of freshly mowed hay ready to be baked. It did cut more evenly in bag mode, but I had to get my blower out to disperse the lumps of grass cuttings (the lawn was not high) which just added more time and annoyance to the job. The wheels wore down very quickly and the cool adjustment knob to make the handle bars fold for storage fell apart after the second yr. Also after 2 yrs the deck split underneath where the blade is and then again by the front wheel. I was surprised to see the deck get compromised like that, usually the deck is the last thing to go.

This has never happen to me on any of my other (cheaper) mowers that I had for a much longer time period. I paid $400 for this mower and it is definitely not a quality mower. Also, there is no support from Honda, you cannot call them and speak to a tech about your issues or parts or anything. You have to take it to a authorized Honda dealer and deal with them, and as noted in other posts this is not always a pleasant experience. They seem to think their mower is flawless and look at you like you're from Mars when you bring up legitimate issues with the mower. In short, I can't speak for all their mowers, but this mower was a piece of crap wrapped up in the illusion of quality. Don't get fooled!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

We purchased our Honda 186cc Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at the end of May '16 and less than 6 months in and all of a sudden stopped working. We've put in gas, filled the oil and were even recommended to check the spark plugs - which it will now run for about 1-2 minutes and then stop. After multiple calls to customer service we were directed to the nearest repair shop who is 5 days behind and won't even be able to give a diagnoses for another week. Customer service also said that depending on what the issue is this repair may not be covered under Honda's warranty.

Absolutely ridiculous that after spending this much money on what we thought was a trusted product and only having used it a total of maybe 10 times, we now come to find out that they really don't value their customers based on the service they've provided as well as stand behind their equipment. I will never recommend this or any other of Honda's products moving forward and unfortunately wished I would've seen the previous reviews sooner as it looks like everyone on here is having the SAME exact problems.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

This past April 2016 we purchased a Honda Self Propelled Lawn Mower. Nothing but problems. Worst of it all once you purchased a Honda product the business you bought it from no longer can assist you. Have to deal with Honda Customer Relations. I must agree with one other affairs review where Honda USED TO make a good lawnmower. Worked OK first few times then the warranty fiasco began. Lawnmower spent more time getting warranty work I was forced to go buy another mower to cut grass.

All I want is my money back and cut ties with Honda. Customer Relations department "Nope we do not give refunds for used mowers." Unreal that's what the Honda Canada employee told me. Bought a new lawnmower doesn't work, cant use it, cannot get money back because I used it, had to buy another mower, and now that season is over they think they fixed the problem. Customers save yourself the aggravation and buy yourselves anything other than a Honda product.

Original review: July 29, 2016

I purchase my Honda mower at the Home Depot 7 months ago. First I have not used ethanol gas. I've only been using Rec 90 gas with marvel mystery oil and so far so good. Starting has been on one or two pulls. The problem that I have in South Florida is that there is an accumulation of sand and grass that gets into the dust covers of the rear wheels and gets into the pinion gears. I have had to strip clean out and regrease these four times since the purchase of this mower as the wheels will lock up when you're trying to back up the mower. This can be annoying and it puts strain on the lower back. I find it ridiculous that I have to put this kind of effort into maintenance on a mower. I am going to sell this mower and move on to a better non Honda product.

Original review: July 9, 2016

Had my HRR216TDA mower since 2004. Purchased at Home Depot. After setting up, filling the crankcase with oil and pulling the mower over a few times, I filled the tank and it started on the second pull. Other than the transmission dying two years ago (I had it replaced), it has started on first or second pull at any temperature.

Tips: The carburetor has VERY small jets. At the end of mowing, turn off the fuel valve and let mower run until it quits of its own accord when the carb runs out of fuel. The carburetor and the parts inside are easily plugged with varnish residue from fuel left in it even for short periods. I put a small dose of fuel injector cleaner in the tank once a year to help fight contamination. You can tell if the jets are getting clogged up if the mower surges at anything other than full power. It is cheaper to buy a whole new carb on eBay than to spend the time to clean the old one. I'm still running on the original carb.

I still have the original belt on the mower, so the auto tensioner seems to be just about right. Removal of the metal covers under the deck to get at the transmission and belt requires care when putting them back, as the bolt holes are difficult to line up and then get the bolt threads started without cross threading the bolts. They should all be started with just your fingers before putting a wrench on them to tighten.

The plastic air cleaner cover would pop off after hitting just about anything. I drilled two small holes down from the top at the middle of top brackets where the self latching prongs go in and inserted small headed short nails in the holes. Never had a cover pop off again. All in all, other than the transmission losing the 2nd gear, it has been reasonably reliable.

Original review: June 24, 2016

PROS: Smooth engine, usually starts 1st or 2nd pull; fast cutting; good mulching; adequate power; mulching plug easy to insert and remove. Although mower arrived with a front wheel assy damaged, Home Depot quickly replace the bent part.

CONS: non-adjustable, throttle too fast for most mowing, thus a gas hog. I installed a manual throttle which greatly decreases gas use. Oil fill tube very narrow; must fill slowly; grass clogs up above transmission and difficult to wash out. Fake rubber (hard plastic) tires pass shock on up to your hands. The tread wears off quickly and mower slides off a moderate bank. Wheel gear and mating pinion gear became worn and slipping (within the warranty period) but the dealer (as directed by Honda) would only replace the pinion gear, though I carried the mower twice to the dealer (loaded/unloaded eight times). Honda refused to replace the wheel gear. Had the gall to tell me to take the mower to the dealer a third time! I refused and purchased new pinion and wheel gears at my expense. Shabby warranty response!

Original review: June 23, 2016

Top recommended by CR plus I've owned at least 10 Honda mowers. Almost always start on first pull even though 10-15 years old. Either takes 4 pulls to start or won't start at all. Autochoke. Today, it wouldn't shut off. Had to stall it. Bag won't stay on. Using new non-ethanol gas, checked the oil, air filter clean. I'd trade for a 10 year old 215 today or an older Toro.

Original review: June 23, 2016

Have had this Troy-Bilt mower with a Honda motor 13 years. Never a bit of trouble but once cord broke fixed it myself, no parts needed, just used the same cord. But one thing I did noticed was the cord wiring was out of time to start the motor. After I put it back together started a lot better. That makes me think the motor timing and starter cord need to be placed properly starting timing.

Original review: June 8, 2016

I bought my first Honda mower used in 1986. I had it 5 years and upgraded to the best Honda mower offered in 1991. It had shift drive, hydrostatic drive, self-propelled and an aluminum deck. What a mower! It served me until last year, 2015 when it finally had transmission problems. It cost me $679.00 in 1991, but it was worth every penny. Mowed 25 summers! In 2015 I replaced it with my third Honda. This one is a good mower, but even the dealer admitted that with a plastic deck and belt drive it was not the mower my old one was. You can still get shift drive and other heavy duty items but you have to get the commercial model and it is about $1,200. So far my new mower is a good mower. Starts easy and really does a better job of mulching than previous Hondas. Time will tell if this is as good as previous products. Hopefully they still build the best mower.

Original review: April 29, 2016

I bought the 3-in-1 lawnmower for $400.00. Opened it up the next day, poured oil as required and gas as required per the manual. The lawnmower worked for 10 seconds before the auto-choke kicked back and stopped working. After 30 minutes of trying to pull back the rope, with the choke continuing to prevent that, we got it to get pulled out all the way. We started the mower on the already mowed portion, walked it a couple feet, and it stopped.

This mower was completely brand new! My dad always had great experience with Honda, but after reading all of these reviews, they have really gone downhill and only sell the worst product nowadays. Do not buy Honda! You'll be spending more time troubleshooting your mower than you will be mowing. From all of these reviews, I'm happy this happened to me the first day and not after a month where Home Depot wouldn't take it back, because Honda's customer service is obviously really crummy.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

I purchased a Troy-Bilt 130 mower with a Honda engine at the very end of last fall. I've used it a total of 6 times on my 1/2 acre property. It is already backfiring and dying under minimal load. The mower constantly clogs at the side chute as there is a lip under the body for some reason which forces the cut grass to gather and clog. I took it to a repair shop and they told me that the mower wouldn't run correctly due to the auto choke system and that it was one of the worst designs they have ever seen. Honda used to be the go to engine in the 80s and 90s. These days seem to be over now that they are having their products (as most other companies) made in China with inferior materials and assembly work. It was a good run while it lasted Honda but you've dropped the ball on quality over quantity.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

The only way to start this thing is to: 1 First thing in the morning drain the carburetor, clean the spark plug. 2 wait till it hits about 70 degrees out. 3 Quickly turn on the gas and pull the rope. 4 When the tiny gas tank runs out of gas, let it cool completely. 5 repeat 1-4.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I bought this mower new off the display rack. With the supposedly high rating I felt safe with it. That came to a quick end the first time I pulled the cord and was left with it dangling in my hand. Brand new, first pull, and Northern is telling me 'It's not covered on your warranty' (harbinger of things to come). LOOONNNG story short, the mower sits in my shed, will not start, has had several replacement cords, oil & gas shoot-out off the Muffler when the engine is pulled over (No matter how many times you pull the plug and clean/dry the thing out), and yup, you guessed it, 'It's not covered by your warranty.' DO NOT buy a mower from these inept people and STEER CLEAR OF HONDAS!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

Bought the Honda HRX217VKA mower about 4 years to do touch up work mostly as I have tractors for the fields and lawns. Bought the Honda because it was rated superior to the generics with B&S or Kohler engines. It replaced a generic "John Deere" which rusted away in record time and blew a valve. The Honda was always hard to start, new gas old gas whatever. Used it for two years and last year it just wouldn't start so I just stored it under a lean top with a cover. Today, I decided to take a look at it to see if I could start. Put in new gas, Sea Foam and wrenched my shoulder pulling the darn starter for about a half hour. I cannot recommend any gasoline mower, I will go with an electric next spring.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

Mower is one year old. After mowing for ~30 min the mower quit. Stuck valve due to "bad gas" not covered under warranty. How can varnish from "bad gas" be stronger than the valve spring? Honda dealer told me they stopped selling Honda mowers for many reasons and the valve issue is one of them. He also said he has had at least 10 Honda mowers in this season for the same issue and another dealer had had about 25 so far. Hmmmm. Bad gas?? Now it won’t start w/o starting fluid. Turns out the carb gasket is an issue and (get this) the butterfly shaft area is so worn that air is leaking through it causing the problem. The fix is a new carb! Mower is only 1 year old! Carb shaft issues is not covered under warranty either! I am done with Honda small engines. Will sell it next spring and get a Toro. There should be a class action suit for the valve issue and Honda's claim that its "bad gas". Really Honda? Really? Have you no conscience?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I am completely unsatisfied with the after sale service of this highly advertised name and brand of this Lawn Mower. The product reached me in flawed condition from Mowers Direct in unsecured original ripped box. After opening I found that the electric start will not work. I went through its Manual. It stated that if the electric start did not work start the engine with pulling the string and use it for about couple of hours to recharge the battery that may drain and lose power due to shelf life. I did the same. The self-start again did not work. I did the same. After a few pulls, the engine started, I used it for about the time suggested. Stopped and tried to start again by using electric start. No. It will not start. Immediately I contacted Mowers Direct customer service but they will not accept any responsibility and asked me to contact the Honda Technical support stating that they will not accept it back as it is Honda responsibility.

The latter, when contacted, asked me to take it to Honda dealer. Honda dealer refused to accept the brand new Lawn Mower and advised me to speak to the supplier, the Mowers Direct. Again the Mowers Direct stated that this product has been supplied it by Honda and that it is the responsibility of Honda and that I need to contact the Honda Tech Support. Again Honda Tech Support tried to off load me by asking me take it to Honda Dealer. On my refusing and asking to speak to their manager, they sent me a battery asking me to replace it myself. I still wonder what will happen if the product had been even a few weeks old. I did the same. The new battery started the engine. But after one week, I found that the electric start will not work again.

On 8/12/15 I spoke to in Honda Technical Sport again. He advised me again to take it Sports Honda, 911 Middlesex avenue, Bound Brook, NJ 08840 (Phone: 770-497-6400), the Honda Dealer. I took it to them the next day on 8/13/2015. They told me that it will take them three to four weeks time to have a look on it and that I should contact the after that and that if there is any part to be replaced which is not covered by the warranty, I will have to pay for their labor charges. Having no other alternative, I have to leave the brand new machine with them. In the meantime, I am wondering as to what to do with growing grass in my yard. What a quality control and after sale service by Honda? It deserves to be given 1 out of 10. I have given one as it started by pulling the string. I give 0 for supplier, 0 for quality control and 0 for after sale service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

Bought mower 2 months ago, maybe 3. On 5th time cutting grass it will not run more than 1 minute. No way to adjust "auto" choke. Tried new gas and new plug. No difference. I bought this after having to repair another brand for two years (after 13 years of great service). Honda engine never failed so I bought this mower at Home Depot. Not happy at all.

Not sure about Honda Lawn Mowers?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants for you.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Information

Honda
    www.honda.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business