Honda Lawn Mowers

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought this mower based on Consumer Reports reviews and other reviews on the web. The actual model# is hrr216k9pda, but all of the double blade models are basically the same. It always starts on the first pull, the engine seems to be the only part of this mower that is excellent. The rest of the mower seems to have been designed by a bunch of monkeys. First off, in mulch mode the mower will randomly leave strips of unmowed grass throughout the lawn. I doubled checked multiple times to see if it was user error and it was not. It's funny because one of the reasons I bought this mower was because it had two blades, figuring it would definitely give me a nice clean cut, but no!

Then there is no side discharge chute. If you take the mower out of mulch mode into bag mode it discharges out the back, right on your feet and legs and leaves large clumps of grass clippings as if you were looking at a field of freshly mowed hay ready to be baked. It did cut more evenly in bag mode, but I had to get my blower out to disperse the lumps of grass cuttings (the lawn was not high) which just added more time and annoyance to the job. The wheels wore down very quickly and the cool adjustment knob to make the handle bars fold for storage fell apart after the second yr. Also after 2 yrs the deck split underneath where the blade is and then again by the front wheel. I was surprised to see the deck get compromised like that, usually the deck is the last thing to go.

This has never happen to me on any of my other (cheaper) mowers that I had for a much longer time period. I paid $400 for this mower and it is definitely not a quality mower. Also, there is no support from Honda, you cannot call them and speak to a tech about your issues or parts or anything. You have to take it to a authorized Honda dealer and deal with them, and as noted in other posts this is not always a pleasant experience. They seem to think their mower is flawless and look at you like you're from Mars when you bring up legitimate issues with the mower. In short, I can't speak for all their mowers, but this mower was a piece of crap wrapped up in the illusion of quality. Don't get fooled!

We purchased our Honda 186cc Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at the end of May '16 and less than 6 months in and all of a sudden stopped working. We've put in gas, filled the oil and were even recommended to check the spark plugs - which it will now run for about 1-2 minutes and then stop. After multiple calls to customer service we were directed to the nearest repair shop who is 5 days behind and won't even be able to give a diagnoses for another week. Customer service also said that depending on what the issue is this repair may not be covered under Honda's warranty.

Absolutely ridiculous that after spending this much money on what we thought was a trusted product and only having used it a total of maybe 10 times, we now come to find out that they really don't value their customers based on the service they've provided as well as stand behind their equipment. I will never recommend this or any other of Honda's products moving forward and unfortunately wished I would've seen the previous reviews sooner as it looks like everyone on here is having the SAME exact problems.

This past April 2016 we purchased a Honda Self Propelled Lawn Mower. Nothing but problems. Worst of it all once you purchased a Honda product the business you bought it from no longer can assist you. Have to deal with Honda Customer Relations. I must agree with one other affairs review where Honda USED TO make a good lawnmower. Worked OK first few times then the warranty fiasco began. Lawnmower spent more time getting warranty work I was forced to go buy another mower to cut grass.

All I want is my money back and cut ties with Honda. Customer Relations department "Nope we do not give refunds for used mowers." Unreal that's what the Honda Canada employee told me. Bought a new lawnmower doesn't work, cant use it, cannot get money back because I used it, had to buy another mower, and now that season is over they think they fixed the problem. Customers save yourself the aggravation and buy yourselves anything other than a Honda product.

I purchase my Honda mower at the Home Depot 7 months ago. First I have not used ethanol gas. I've only been using Rec 90 gas with marvel mystery oil and so far so good. Starting has been on one or two pulls. The problem that I have in South Florida is that there is an accumulation of sand and grass that gets into the dust covers of the rear wheels and gets into the pinion gears. I have had to strip clean out and regrease these four times since the purchase of this mower as the wheels will lock up when you're trying to back up the mower. This can be annoying and it puts strain on the lower back. I find it ridiculous that I have to put this kind of effort into maintenance on a mower. I am going to sell this mower and move on to a better non Honda product.

Had my HRR216TDA mower since 2004. Purchased at Home Depot. After setting up, filling the crankcase with oil and pulling the mower over a few times, I filled the tank and it started on the second pull. Other than the transmission dying two years ago (I had it replaced), it has started on first or second pull at any temperature.

Tips: The carburetor has VERY small jets. At the end of mowing, turn off the fuel valve and let mower run until it quits of its own accord when the carb runs out of fuel. The carburetor and the parts inside are easily plugged with varnish residue from fuel left in it even for short periods. I put a small dose of fuel injector cleaner in the tank once a year to help fight contamination. You can tell if the jets are getting clogged up if the mower surges at anything other than full power. It is cheaper to buy a whole new carb on eBay than to spend the time to clean the old one. I'm still running on the original carb.

I still have the original belt on the mower, so the auto tensioner seems to be just about right. Removal of the metal covers under the deck to get at the transmission and belt requires care when putting them back, as the bolt holes are difficult to line up and then get the bolt threads started without cross threading the bolts. They should all be started with just your fingers before putting a wrench on them to tighten.

The plastic air cleaner cover would pop off after hitting just about anything. I drilled two small holes down from the top at the middle of top brackets where the self latching prongs go in and inserted small headed short nails in the holes. Never had a cover pop off again. All in all, other than the transmission losing the 2nd gear, it has been reasonably reliable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

PROS: Smooth engine, usually starts 1st or 2nd pull; fast cutting; good mulching; adequate power; mulching plug easy to insert and remove. Although mower arrived with a front wheel assy damaged, Home Depot quickly replace the bent part.

CONS: non-adjustable, throttle too fast for most mowing, thus a gas hog. I installed a manual throttle which greatly decreases gas use. Oil fill tube very narrow; must fill slowly; grass clogs up above transmission and difficult to wash out. Fake rubber (hard plastic) tires pass shock on up to your hands. The tread wears off quickly and mower slides off a moderate bank. Wheel gear and mating pinion gear became worn and slipping (within the warranty period) but the dealer (as directed by Honda) would only replace the pinion gear, though I carried the mower twice to the dealer (loaded/unloaded eight times). Honda refused to replace the wheel gear. Had the gall to tell me to take the mower to the dealer a third time! I refused and purchased new pinion and wheel gears at my expense. Shabby warranty response!

Top recommended by CR plus I've owned at least 10 Honda mowers. Almost always start on first pull even though 10-15 years old. Either takes 4 pulls to start or won't start at all. Autochoke. Today, it wouldn't shut off. Had to stall it. Bag won't stay on. Using new non-ethanol gas, checked the oil, air filter clean. I'd trade for a 10 year old 215 today or an older Toro.

Have had this Troy-Bilt mower with a Honda motor 13 years. Never a bit of trouble but once cord broke fixed it myself, no parts needed, just used the same cord. But one thing I did noticed was the cord wiring was out of time to start the motor. After I put it back together started a lot better. That makes me think the motor timing and starter cord need to be placed properly starting timing.

I bought my first Honda mower used in 1986. I had it 5 years and upgraded to the best Honda mower offered in 1991. It had shift drive, hydrostatic drive, self-propelled and an aluminum deck. What a mower! It served me until last year, 2015 when it finally had transmission problems. It cost me $679.00 in 1991, but it was worth every penny. Mowed 25 summers! In 2015 I replaced it with my third Honda. This one is a good mower, but even the dealer admitted that with a plastic deck and belt drive it was not the mower my old one was. You can still get shift drive and other heavy duty items but you have to get the commercial model and it is about $1,200. So far my new mower is a good mower. Starts easy and really does a better job of mulching than previous Hondas. Time will tell if this is as good as previous products. Hopefully they still build the best mower.

I bought the 3-in-1 lawnmower for $400.00. Opened it up the next day, poured oil as required and gas as required per the manual. The lawnmower worked for 10 seconds before the auto-choke kicked back and stopped working. After 30 minutes of trying to pull back the rope, with the choke continuing to prevent that, we got it to get pulled out all the way. We started the mower on the already mowed portion, walked it a couple feet, and it stopped.

This mower was completely brand new! My dad always had great experience with Honda, but after reading all of these reviews, they have really gone downhill and only sell the worst product nowadays. Do not buy Honda! You'll be spending more time troubleshooting your mower than you will be mowing. From all of these reviews, I'm happy this happened to me the first day and not after a month where Home Depot wouldn't take it back, because Honda's customer service is obviously really crummy.

I purchased a Troy-Bilt 130 mower with a Honda engine at the very end of last fall. I've used it a total of 6 times on my 1/2 acre property. It is already backfiring and dying under minimal load. The mower constantly clogs at the side chute as there is a lip under the body for some reason which forces the cut grass to gather and clog. I took it to a repair shop and they told me that the mower wouldn't run correctly due to the auto choke system and that it was one of the worst designs they have ever seen. Honda used to be the go to engine in the 80s and 90s. These days seem to be over now that they are having their products (as most other companies) made in China with inferior materials and assembly work. It was a good run while it lasted Honda but you've dropped the ball on quality over quantity.

The only way to start this thing is to: 1 First thing in the morning drain the carburetor, clean the spark plug. 2 wait till it hits about 70 degrees out. 3 Quickly turn on the gas and pull the rope. 4 When the tiny gas tank runs out of gas, let it cool completely. 5 repeat 1-4.

I bought this mower new off the display rack. With the supposedly high rating I felt safe with it. That came to a quick end the first time I pulled the cord and was left with it dangling in my hand. Brand new, first pull, and Northern is telling me 'It's not covered on your warranty' (harbinger of things to come). LOOONNNG story short, the mower sits in my shed, will not start, has had several replacement cords, oil & gas shoot-out off the Muffler when the engine is pulled over (No matter how many times you pull the plug and clean/dry the thing out), and yup, you guessed it, 'It's not covered by your warranty.' DO NOT buy a mower from these inept people and STEER CLEAR OF HONDAS!!!

Bought the Honda HRX217VKA mower about 4 years to do touch up work mostly as I have tractors for the fields and lawns. Bought the Honda because it was rated superior to the generics with B&S or Kohler engines. It replaced a generic "John Deere" which rusted away in record time and blew a valve. The Honda was always hard to start, new gas old gas whatever. Used it for two years and last year it just wouldn't start so I just stored it under a lean top with a cover. Today, I decided to take a look at it to see if I could start. Put in new gas, Sea Foam and wrenched my shoulder pulling the darn starter for about a half hour. I cannot recommend any gasoline mower, I will go with an electric next spring.

Mower is one year old. After mowing for ~30 min the mower quit. Stuck valve due to "bad gas" not covered under warranty. How can varnish from "bad gas" be stronger than the valve spring? Honda dealer told me they stopped selling Honda mowers for many reasons and the valve issue is one of them. He also said he has had at least 10 Honda mowers in this season for the same issue and another dealer had had about 25 so far. Hmmmm. Bad gas?? Now it won’t start w/o starting fluid. Turns out the carb gasket is an issue and (get this) the butterfly shaft area is so worn that air is leaking through it causing the problem. The fix is a new carb! Mower is only 1 year old! Carb shaft issues is not covered under warranty either! I am done with Honda small engines. Will sell it next spring and get a Toro. There should be a class action suit for the valve issue and Honda's claim that its "bad gas". Really Honda? Really? Have you no conscience?

I am completely unsatisfied with the after sale service of this highly advertised name and brand of this Lawn Mower. The product reached me in flawed condition from Mowers Direct in unsecured original ripped box. After opening I found that the electric start will not work. I went through its Manual. It stated that if the electric start did not work start the engine with pulling the string and use it for about couple of hours to recharge the battery that may drain and lose power due to shelf life. I did the same. The self-start again did not work. I did the same. After a few pulls, the engine started, I used it for about the time suggested. Stopped and tried to start again by using electric start. No. It will not start. Immediately I contacted Mowers Direct customer service but they will not accept any responsibility and asked me to contact the Honda Technical support stating that they will not accept it back as it is Honda responsibility.

The latter, when contacted, asked me to take it to Honda dealer. Honda dealer refused to accept the brand new Lawn Mower and advised me to speak to the supplier, the Mowers Direct. Again the Mowers Direct stated that this product has been supplied it by Honda and that it is the responsibility of Honda and that I need to contact the Honda Tech Support. Again Honda Tech Support tried to off load me by asking me take it to Honda Dealer. On my refusing and asking to speak to their manager, they sent me a battery asking me to replace it myself. I still wonder what will happen if the product had been even a few weeks old. I did the same. The new battery started the engine. But after one week, I found that the electric start will not work again.

On 8/12/15 I spoke to in Honda Technical Sport again. He advised me again to take it Sports Honda, 911 Middlesex avenue, Bound Brook, NJ 08840 (Phone: 770-497-6400), the Honda Dealer. I took it to them the next day on 8/13/2015. They told me that it will take them three to four weeks time to have a look on it and that I should contact the after that and that if there is any part to be replaced which is not covered by the warranty, I will have to pay for their labor charges. Having no other alternative, I have to leave the brand new machine with them. In the meantime, I am wondering as to what to do with growing grass in my yard. What a quality control and after sale service by Honda? It deserves to be given 1 out of 10. I have given one as it started by pulling the string. I give 0 for supplier, 0 for quality control and 0 for after sale service.

Bought mower 2 months ago, maybe 3. On 5th time cutting grass it will not run more than 1 minute. No way to adjust "auto" choke. Tried new gas and new plug. No difference. I bought this after having to repair another brand for two years (after 13 years of great service). Honda engine never failed so I bought this mower at Home Depot. Not happy at all.

I purchased a Honda Mower two years ago from Home Depot. Was told that Honda was the best. What a piece of crap. Honda said it a "one pull start mower". Yeah right. Picked it up from the repair shop today. This makes four times I have had to take it in. You can pull it all day and it never starts. This time I was told it needed a new safety start switch. $78.00. Last time it needed a carburetor. Still hard to start.

It is #HRR216VKA self propelled with mulch, discharge or bag. I use the bag and it too is a very poor design. Second time I used it the grass catcher came off the back of the mower and I fell across it. Had to be taken to the ER to have my leg x-rayed. I could barely walk for two weeks. My last mower was a Lawn Boy. Used it for 10 years, only had to do regular maintenance. It cut my grass and my HOA's grass every week with no problems. That's over an acre and 1/2 of grass a week. NEVER AGAIN HONDA... YOU HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER.

Honda HRX217 - So this will be the second mower this has happened to in the last year. First mower had cracked the motor housing within 2 months of use. The second took about 6 months but the plastic deck that the motor sits on should be lifetime warranted according to the box. Well 6 months later after the first exchange the deck cracked right around the motor mounts. Well when I called to use the lifetime warranty from Honda on the deck and have it replaced, they told me the warranty is not good because the mower was used more than the proper use for the mower. I think I used the mower about 26 times in that 6 months and that too much according to them. Honda mowers are junk and I will never use their products again. They lie about it being the best mower and the warranty is a lie.

18 years old still starts on the first try every time, never had it repaired. Finally the transmission is failing but still works. The wheels need replacing so I am going for another one.

This is my third Honda mower so I've had plenty of experience with them. I saved up $800 to get the electric start because I'm getting old and have a bad neck and back so didn't want a pull start. The mower works great, the starter works fine, the four adjustable wheels for lawn height could be easier to use but it's real nice to be able to leave the lawn nice and long so you can use way less water but... The grass catcher set-up and bag Stink!!!

I have a very small lawn - I use to run outside and get it mowed in 30 minutes with both my old Honda mowers - not a single problem. This new HRX217HZA has the Worst Grass Catcher I've ever seen on any mower - IMHO whoever designed it Should Be Fired!!! It doesn't catch all the grass clippings - the top section actually 'collects' the clippings so when you go to empty the bag you have tons of clippings caught up above the bag on a 'grass clipping shelf' that you have to manually clean out with your fingers and throw into the bag - but you can't even get all the clippings out using your fingers - no biggie you think???

Well here's the deal - I shake out the bag well and sweep the mower off as good as possible with a soft broom before putting it away. The next time I go to use it dried crap starts flying out hitting me in the face and eyes and continues to do so for quite a while until the catcher starts filling up with fresh lawn clipping (I have allergies and this totally aggravates them) - it also means I have to change clothes and brush my hair after mowing and shake my clothing outside to get all the lawn clippings off my clothes. Mind you, I have swept out as many clippings as possible and cleaned out the bag as well as possible after every use and this still happens.

The ONLY way I have found to keep debris from flying up and hitting me in the face is to use a blower on high and blow out every inch of the mower and inside the bag before putting it away. This required me having to spend even more money on top of the $800 for the mower to buy a blower just to keep the damn mower clean - plus more work and time - my 30 minute lawn now takes twice as long to mow and I have to clean off my clothes and hair.

Hey Honda - I have an idea: Why don't you try 'testing' things before you put them on the market? You charge a premium price and I'm willing to pay it for a quality piece of equipment - like both Honda mowers I've had in the past but your New Disposal Design Sucks Big Time - enough to make me buy a different brand next time around and educate everyone I ever talk to about your designs.

I'm really angry with the lack of quality in the Honda GVC 160 motor. I have had 2 of them and had bad luck with both. The first one was on a Honda lawnmower. It lasted 2 years and died. The second and last one was on a Toro lawnmower, it lasted a year. Honda is supposed to make quality engines, what happened to the two I had?? I'm not buying Honda lawnmower engines again, specifically the GVC 160cc. Now maybe other Honda products are just fine, but I won't buy another Honda lawnmower engine again. BTW I had a Toro with a Tecumseh that lasted 10 years!!

Honda HRX217VKA 21 inch 190 engine - After having had a Craftsman mower with a Honda engine for nearly 15 years, I was ready to buy a new mower. I researched diligently (over the winter) and bought the subject mower from Home Depot for $600. Assembly in the driveway and the first mow went great. The mower did cut and mulch a longer than typical lawn very well (I didn't use the bag). When I went to start it for the next mow - it didn't. Didn't start. And didn't start. I called Honda and spoke with a tech rep, who promptly blamed me for not using fresh gas. And his definition of fresh gas was less than a week old! Said I should drain the tank and try again. I didn't, but I did add a small amount of gas additive to reduce the effect of ethanol and stabilize the fuel. Still didn't start.

Now, my old Craftsman/Honda mower would start on the second pull in the spring with the gas left in it from the fall. Go figure! Though it was more than 30 days old, my local Home Depot reluctantly gave me a store credit, which I will use, but not for a Honda! Dependability is way overrated. Before the Craftsman, I had an original Toro mulcher for over twenty years. Perhaps a new Toro?

I purchased a self-propelled electric start lawn mower at the tune of $900.00, as I have health issues and wanted one which I did not have to pull the rope. And Honda was suppose to have a good rating for lawn mowers in the type of features I wanted. 2 complaints right away is the gas tank is too small and have to fill it 2 times just to mow my backyard. To change the oil, I have to tip the mower on its side. Oh my poor back. The next issue is the electric start. Sometimes the electric starter does not engage the motor and just spins so then I have to use the pull rope. Oh my poor back. Yes the battery is fully charged. The next thing that happened is the transition went bad and had to replace it to the tune of $500.50. I do not recommend a Honda mower for the above reasons. My next mower sure will not be a Honda.

I purchased my lawn mower 2 months ago. I explained to the dealer that I needed self-propelled due to the fact that my front card is on a slight incline and my age. He assured me that I would have no problem with the mower that I purchased. My issue is with the tires. There is slight tread on them which causes the mower to slip as I am mowing. I didn't notice this problem in the spring as the grass had enough moisture to assist in the traction however, now that the grass has becoming dryer, I am experiencing problems.

I took it back to the dealer to see if there are any other tires. He commented that he has heard of this problem from others and that Honda only makes the one tire. My question is, if this is a problem, why is Honda not doing anything to make the necessary corrections? Please be aware that I have lived at this address for 15 years and have not had this problem with any other mowers that I have owned (Troy, John Deere). It is pretty sad to make a good product and have cheap sub par tires that make the item not effective.

My mower keeps clogging up in wet or thicker grass. I keep the blades sharp but still isn't any better. Simply put I took the flat blade off and it works fine. I don't know if they just want to sell you two blades that cost twice as much or they just don't want to admit they got a bad design, but if you go to one mulching blade the mower cuts and works great.

I bought a new Honda self propelled variable engine speed, variable drive speed, rear bagger, with blade clutch, rope start, and automatic choke in the spring of 2013. It came with a five year warranty. In the fall of 2013, the choke would not close automatically making it impossible to start without starting fluid. I removed the filter assembly housing to see if the outside of the carb had debris preventing it from working. It was clean as a whistle. So took it in for warranty repairs.

Got it back... Summer 2014 worked ok, but when you release the drive handle while still holding the blade engage handle in place the blade would release, too! Happened about 6-8 times each time I mowed. Also, in the fall the NEW choke was sticking too. So I took it in over the winter for two repairs. They had it for 6 weeks!! They reworked the carb again and so far so good on the choke (It's June of 2015). They replaced the hand control unit that does blade, drive and speed control. It's better than it was but still it disengages the 3-5 times when I mowed the yard. So while we were going on vacation for two weeks, we took it back and they worked on it again. Got it back and it immediately was doing the same thing.

I asked the Honda dealer what happens when I get to three repairs for the same thing. Is there a lemon law for lawn mowers like cars? NOPE! "You can bring it in for five years warranty and they'll fix it each time no charge"... was the reply. After that I'll just have to PAY for repairs. I bought the Honda instead of the Toro (I'd been using Toro's and Craftsman for 30 years) as I was told Honda was "the best". What a piece of junk! I'll never ever buy a Honda lawn mower again!

Honda is a great engine but the auto choke goes bad and uses twice as much gas and chokes out on none pull. Mower is 11 years old.

In 1987, I bought a Honda HR3813 lawn tractor after a horrible experience with a Lowe's tractor. It was in the shop 3 times for over 3 weeks the first summer. The Honda has NEVER been in the shop and 28 years later still looks and runs like new. My neighbors all want it and will happily trade me their Poulans, Toros, Sears, etc. In 1992, I bought a Honda HRC 216 self propelled. It has been (almost) flawless in its performance for 23 years. The only thing I have done to either is cleaned the carbs.

I do not believe the newer Honda line is as good as the older ones. I think they have cheapened them in order to compete. I don't know what I would buy today, but it would not be a John Deere (entry level), Cub Cadet, Poulan, Sears because they are now all built by MTD or some other (what I would call 2nd rate) "stamp-em-out" mfr. Even though you can get Honda engines in them, the other components just don't hold up. It is almost overkill to put a Honda engine in these because the engine will probably far outlast the rest of the machine. Briggs & Stratton makes a "good" engine for the money, but it can't compare with a Honda. All just my opinion.

I purchased this Honda HRX Quadra Cut mower from Lowe's about 8 years ago. It runs perfectly and starts with ease. It's the cut that I am having a problem with. No matter what I do, it leaves a ridge or a line of undercut grass along the left side of the mower, in between the centerline and the left wheels. I have taken it to the shop and was told there was nothing wrong with it. I had the blades professionally sharpened and that seemed to help for a while. I love this mower but I am ready to move on and get something else. Honda customer service was absolutely no help.

Honda Lawn Mowers Company Profile