Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Honda Generators Reviews

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Big storm about to hit western Tennessee. Power is out and drove 2 hours one way to buy generator. Only 2 Hondas left and bought one. Got home and the trees are coming down and I'll have power as soon as I get this new Honda generator running. Open the box and guess Friggin what NO OIL!!!! You have to buy oil!! Oh it says no oil on the box lid but the lid underneath the two top lids!! Don't you think it should say NO OIL on the OUTSIDE of the box? Waited 2 more days. No power and the roads were blocked so I couldn't go out to buy oil. I really couldn't believe HONDA would do something like this. You guys are the best. BIG mistake. Took the generator back to the store because I was so PISSED and still mad. Come on HONDA.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, my Honda EU7000 caught fire. I called Customer Service on the following Monday. As instructed by Customer Service, I took pictures and brought the generator to my local dealer the following Monday. I was told they would contact me in two or three days. They didn't. It was a week later when I was contacted.

They asked for more pictures. In following emails, I was asked for more pictures yet and more details. A month went by. In one call from Customer Service I was accused of misuse of the generator. Finally the regional service rep visited the local dealer. He was able to identify the cause of the fire as an internal short - something that was not my responsibility.

I spoke with the dealer on November 17. He explained what the problem was with the generator. He was not clear about what the settlement would be except that the generator would be replaced. I don't know if it will be new or used, what the warranty will be, and if the other expenses - like the electrician rewiring the connection to the generator, etc. I wrote Customer Service again. We will see what will happen. I am very disappointed with Honda's Customer Service.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I owned my first Honda 2000i for over 10 yrs with zero issues so when I needed another generator I bought another 2000i from Miller's Farms in McKinleyville, CA. What a huge frustrating disappointment! Within the first month it started running rough and would suddenly die for no reason after running for a few hrs. This quickly progressed to backfiring and blowing black smoke. It would run rough, almost dying then rev way up while shooting out smoke, repeating this until finally dying. I don't think I even got 20hrs of usage before it totally stopped running. So I took it back to Miller's (after another Honda shop... Cutters Edge, Eureka Ca, refused to look at it because I didn't buy it there) and I gave them a detailed explanation on what was happening. It was obviously defective from the start. It doesn't feed the gas correctly.

When I went to pick it up, even though it was under warranty, I got a $100+ bill for changing the old gas/cleaning it/sparkplug. They tried to say old gas was the only problem and that's not covered under warranty. They also changed the almost new pull cord and charged me for that, saying they always do whenever they open one up since it's easy. They suggested I buy the expensive $7/gal gas they sell there... Yeah right. Why did my other Honda run great for 10 yrs on gas station fuel but this one won't? THE FUEL WAS NOT OLD.

They did absolutely NOTHING to fix the actual problem at all but it was running again so I took it home and within 10 hrs of use it was unusable again because it still does the same thing... Runs rough until it almost dies then it revs way up and shoots smoke then finally dies. It did this while still running off the tank of fuel Miller's put in it! I had zero problems with my first one... Couldn't have been happier but now I'm done with this brand. I paid $1000 for a generator I haven't been able to use and that I can't get fixed even though it's still under warranty. It makes sense that these are not as good as they used to be... Why after 10 yrs are they the same price... Because they have cheapened the product instead of raising the price.

Original review: July 16, 2017

It seems to run a very long time on a tank of gas. Looks nice and is very quiet, fun color. Easy to transport and move because of the wheels it rolls on. Starts very easily, and will restart quickly. However, it would be better to make the muffler guard a little bigger to keep kids from getting burned. Also, maybe have a yearly sale on these brands and types of items. Can run quite a few things when the power is out because of the ice storm. Does tend to vibrate more than I would like it to. Overall, I selected the Honda brand because I have used Honda products for over 35 years. They make killer reliable products that are easy to get started and they run very well. Not to mention a Honda product will last forever if properly taken care of.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Honda generators offer quiet, portable, reliable generator power that is ideal for tailgating, camping, RV power and home uses like emergency situations. It's great to have for emergencies. I love that it's compact and strong and built to last a very long time. It's light enough for a women to handle and so easy to use and does not take up a lot of space.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Generators?

Original review: July 3, 2017

It's a Honda generator that's quiet, easy handling and start and provides all the needs for me on my camping trips or job sites. I take it everywhere and can store it anywhere. It's compact and one pull start is nice. It's light duty but handles all of the things I need it for. Honda is known for its quality and my friends and family recommended it. It's a great piece of equipment and would recommend to anyone.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Honda is a very reliable brand and company. The good thing about my generator is that it can have power for up to 8 hours. It is very durable and enduring and there aren't many generators that can be as efficacious as this generator brand, but I wish it would be able to last longer. There are many companies that can have power for up to 24 hours which is wonderful.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I was in the market looking for a new generator and after a great deal of research I came across the brand that I have and it works smooth. I looked at Home Depot Lowe's and finally got the one I needed at Lowe's for a great price. I like that it has full horsepower and it runs a long time after you cut it on. The functions are easy to use. It also was automatic start and stop. I love it well. Good idea for a generator. I like all the things it has to offer. You can't go wrong with the brand. It is a high quality top brand. So if you are looking to purchase one this is the brand to go for.

Original review: July 9, 2017

It has a solar power feature that lets you charge it. It also has a high power storage that lets it be used for a long period of time when the power goes out. It meets my expectations because I want it to last a long time when I am out of power wherever I am. I wish it were smaller because it takes up too much space when I try to store it where I store it.

Original review: July 17, 2017

We had one too many power outages and want a generator to take up to the cabin. One of the many pieces of equipment we haul every year. Gives us the peace of mind we wanted. That is a very good brand we like and we saw one at the sports show we liked in the price we could afford and we decide to go ahead and buy one. We put it on hold and came back later. It was a nice smaller unit that was easy to move around. It's pretty quiet and simple to run and gas prices are not too bad.

Honda Generators expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Honda is known for its design and manufacturing of large and small vehicles and power equipment. Additionally, it makes a line of portable, inverter generators for home, work and recreational use that can power anything from common household appliances to industrial motors. All generator models designed by Honda are made to be used with regular unleaded gasoline. For a safe and easy-to-use experience, Honda recommends installing a transfer switch before using its generators.

• Portable-power generators: Honda’s portable-power generators offer homeowners a backup power source to keep common household appliances running in the event of a power outage. You can choose from over 20 models ranging in power output from around 2,000-7,000 watts and run-times ranging from approximately eight hours per gallon of gas to over 20 hours for every 3 gallons of gas.

• HP2S: HP2S is Honda’s universal transfer switch that can be installed by an electrician to work with any Honda generator. It works by automatically switching to an installed battery upon a loss of power, to provide power while you start your generator. Once you move your generator outside and start it up, you plug it into the universal transfer switch (HP2S). Once your power comes back on, the HP2S will automatically switch back to utility power.

• Power management: Honda helps you calculate how much power you will need from a generator for home, recreational or industrial needs. You can check their website for a detailed explanation for each category. A typical small home will need around 3,000-5,000 watts with larger homes needing around 5,000-6,500 watts. Campers, tailgaters and boaters will need around 1,000-2,000 watts of power to handle their needs.

• Industrial generators: Honda helps you decide which generator is right for your industrial needs by asking how many tools you will be powering at one time. A single tool will require around 2,000 watts (120-volt tool), two tools will need around 3,000-4,000 watts (120-volt tools) and multiple tools need 4,000 plus watts depending on the voltage of the power tools.

• Pricing: Honda lists the pricing for all generator models online. Prices vary depending on multiple factors like wattage and engine type, but generators range from $949.95-$5,399.05 MSRP.

• Best for: consumers needing a portable generator for home and recreational use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs