Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered a Kohler sink from Homecenter, and it arrived damaged. I tried to call the customer service number provided to me in my confirmation email, but it was not a working number. I then went through the required steps to request a refund and was denied the refund and told I would be sent another sink. When I was told it would be at least 28 days before the sink would ship directly from Kohler, I said I didn't want to proceed with the order and would like a refund.

Again, the refund was denied. We received a second sink within only about two weeks - and it too was damaged. I immediately emailed Brian at Homecenter to let him know what had happened and to request a refund again. The refund request was denied. I then called Kohler and finally found someone who could help me. I explained to him that I did not want a third sink shipped, and the woman at Kohler thought it would probably be best to order the sink through a local distributor so that the shipping would be "done right. "

Note that I paid $175 for shipping so one would think it would have been "done right" no matter what. I went back and forth in email with Brian several times, requesting phone calls from him so we could talk about the situation and see what alternatives were available. I provided him with a number to call me at. Yet, he called my home number as listed on the order and left a rude message on my voice mail (with, of course, no number to call him back).

Brian takes great offense at being told anything negative about his company or his customer service skills, apparently. Brian did finally agree to cancel my order after I got someone at Kohler involved. The email he sent simply said "canceled. " It took five emails from me asking if this meant he was issuing a refund before he replied with a simple "yes. " It has now been over 3 weeks, and I have yet to receive a refund. I have been called a moron though (after I called him a jerk, admittedly). This place is just a joke - spend the few extra dollars to buy from a reputable company and save yourself the stress.

Although a recent article in the New York Times leads me to believe that complaining about a bad experience with a vendor may actually help that vendor in internet search engines, http://**. I've got to share this miserable tale.

In late September, I went looking for a new sink online. I found it at Homecenter.com and immediately submitted my order, using my Visa card to pay the $584.60 charge. Nowhere was it mentioned that the item would be on back order or that Homecenter.com would not be shipping the item to me themselves. When I hadn't received the sink over a week later, I contacted them by email on Oct. 6, asking about my order. I received a note that said they'd keep me updated by email.

On Oct. 12, I asked for an update. I received an email that said the sink would ship on Oct.18.On Oct. 19, I got an email that said shipping would be further delayed until Oct 27! I called Homecenter and told the Customer Service (a misnomer if ever there was one! ) representative that I wanted to cancel the order. She said, I couldn't cancel on the phone and must send an email. I did that as soon as our conversation concluded. At that point, I made the assumption that it would be okay to go ahead and find the sink at another vendor, which I did.

Later that day, I received an auto email from Homecenter, telling me "not to consider my order cancelled and not to order the item from anyone else! I also received an email from the representative, who said Homecenter would put the order on hold, so the sink would not be sent to me while the order was in the process of being cancelled. That was a lie. Two days later, on Oct. 21, I received a note from the same representative, saying she would discuss this with her manager! I responded, saying what is there to discuss, I have cancelled the order, following your instructions for doing so.

She contacted me the next day, saying my order couldn't be canceled and would be shipped to me on Oct 27. She said there was nothing she could do. A week later, the sink from Homecenter arrived via UPS. I refused delivery and told the UPS man to send the item back. I called and told Homecenter that the sink was on its way back to them. The representative said she would do an RMA for me.

Three weeks later, on Nov. 22, I received another note from them: You refused the package. It was sent back to the NY warehouse. It was suppose to be returned to Kohler. When requesting a RGA you are not allowed to refused the package. The package has to go to travel form NY to Wisconsin. I have to inform Kohler of the shipment. This semi-literate note obviously wasn't helpful and contradicted the conversation I'd had with the representative who had told me she would handle the RMA for me. The Homecenter representative who was handling my order did not treat the matter seriously. If she had started the cancellation process when I submitted my email, I believe this situation would have been resolved. Also, since the sink was not shipped directly to me from Kohler, Homecenter could easily have stopped the shipment at their facility in Uniondale, NY, which it passed through before coming to me!

According to Homecenter's return policy, I am now responsible for paying a 25% restocking fee. Since the sink in question was priced at $594, this fee is not small! I sent an email asking that the restocking fee be waived but have not heard anything back. It's now late December and they have had my money for three months. They're not communicating with me and they haven't responded to a letter from the Better Business Bureau of New York, where I submitted a complaint.

I phoned and sent e mails to George, Anita, Christina, and Brian on the following dates: 01/15/2008, 03/31/2008, 04/10/2008, 04/18/2008, 5/12/08, 06/05/2008, 7/2/08, 07/14/2008, 8/12/08. George Wenk told me he was one of Home Center owners and promised me a complete refund back in January of 2008 when I placed my big order.

For three months, I was unable to return their defective merchandise because they would not give me a return voucher. Finally, the three defective plumbing fixtures were returned to the company by UPS about 04/13/08.

After calling them several times, in August, 2008, I received a refund credit of $982.21 minus a 15% ($157) restocking fee that they had no right to charge me because they sold me defective merchandise. They kept my $982.21 for over six months. I was never able to get the remaining 15% of the money the company owed me. I want the rest of my refund of $157 plus 8% interest for the amount of time the company held my money.

I purchased a Mico faucet in March 2008 from HomeCenter. It was received defective. I contacted Christine of HomeCenter and was given strict instruction on returning the faucet on 3/21/08 via email. I FedEx'd the faucet via Kinko's on 3/24/08. This package was delived on 3/27/08 @3:34PM and signed for. I called and was told it would take up to 5 weeks for a refund. Months passed and I left several phone messages from Christine Henry.

Finally, on 7/18/08 I spoke with Christina of HomeCenter who told me in April, the faucet maker, Mico, who I did not have any dealings with in the purchase, decided to not refund my money because it is believed that I used the faucet and decided to scrap the faucet. I tried to explain that not only did I not use this faucet but as long as I have a bill for $583 + finance charges on my credit card Mico nor Homecenter owned this faucet to scrap it. Christina's only response was well that is what it says. She refused my calls and never answered any of my emails after that. On this same day I located the owner of the website HomeCenter a Mr. Okin, we went back and forth with emails until we agreed that on that Monday 7/20 or 7/21 both he and I would speak to Mico and come to some sort of resolution. I would receive either full refund, partial refund or the faucet would be returned to me.

To date I have not received so much as a phone call. I filed a dispute with my credit card and on 8/23/08, my credit card company informed me my disoute had been resolved and I would not recieve a credit because according top HomeCenter I did not return the faucet within the 14 days they require. This is completely untrue as I have the proof of the fedex receipt and Christine's email. This is also completely contradictory to what they had told me on the phone and in emails.

I have a bill for $583+ and no product