2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

3.6/5 (909 ratings)

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America Inc. offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company also provides quick repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems to find a solution that works best for you.

Pros

• High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage
  • ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades

Cons

• Scheduling wait time

Bottom Line

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at reasonable rates. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR-certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them....

Verified

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciate...

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. The company has multiple coverage options to let you choose what best suits your needs. Home Warranty of America offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.

Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier). It includes the company’s Premium Coverage option, which adds 25 additional items, such as plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41 to $54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PremierPremier Plus
Service call fee$75/$100$75/$100
Average monthly cost$44.62/$41.15$53.46/$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides protection for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items, including increased protection for toilet replacement, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combos and saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair and septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator/stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages, both for $5.77 per month.

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR-qualified products. This includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-keying services, provides for the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code violations/permits up to $250
  • Professional-series appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps and saltwater pool equipment$1,500
In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters and stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets and water softeners$500
Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans and central vacuums$400
Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
  2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
  3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Frequently asked questions

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?
Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers more than 30 items.
What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.
Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?
No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America a good company?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that increases the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America an inclusive provider.

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I usually tell Home Warranty of America there's an issue and they give me a claim number. A vendor will follow up with me and take care of the issue within the same week. Home Warranty of America saved us a lot of money and I don't see us ever not having a warranty since we've had to file a lot of claims since we moved in our house.

But there was one thing I was a little confused about. We had one little situation where I misunderstand the contract. Our toilet upstairs was running water and it seeped into the ceiling downstairs. It sounded like Home Warranty covered the toilet but they didn't cover the damage from the drywall. They said that they worked something out and covered a partial so I didn't have to pay the full amount. But they weren't very clear if I had a drywall issue related to an appliance breaking down like the toilet.

I also need to read the contract a little bit more to understand what Home Warranty covers. The light bulb in our refrigerator exploded or burnt out then it froze. Now, it melted within the fridge. The refrigerator is pitch black. But we can’t fix that because the refrigerator technically still works. Another thing is we have the sewer coverage and there's a separate number for it. It’s part of the home warranty but the way the home warranty handles a claim is a little bit different. I was having an issue updating my credit card and I tried to call the home warranty number. I was told I had to call the sewer number. I called them and was told I had to get back to the home warranty.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2021

We're having an issue with our current claim with Home Warranty of America and it's a frustrating situation. We've had good experience otherwise. But we haven't had a working stove since June and the company that Home Warranty set us up with keeps canceling and rescheduling. Randomly, our claim for the stove was canceled without our direction to cancel it. So, we now got a quote from the company that's supposed to come and look at our stove that won't come again till the end of this month. HWA is not attempting to find an alternate company. They only set us up with the one company.

We haven't been able to cook a whole lot and we had to buy an external little cooking top so we can do anything on it. I've been meaning to call HWA but we're going in circles. So, I haven't had the energy to deal with it. I Googled and I found somebody that could potentially fix it, and HWA only had one resource. So, this is frustrating. But other than that, it's been positive.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon Heidi. We regret to hear you are having an unpleasant experience with your stove claim. We attempted to contact you via private message requesting further details to take a closer look at your case over 11 days ago without any response. If the claim is still open or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our online team would be more than glad to aid you. Looking forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, - Mateo/The Digital Care Team.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Over a year and a half, I haven't been able to file claims online through Home Warranty of America's portal system. It always has to be through customer service, so it's pretty inconvenient. Why have a website if it's not gonna work? I've mentioned this to them a few times, and it was always like, “Oh, I'm gonna send an email. We'll figure it out.” But there's never a follow up. My only care is that the claim gets through. So, after that, I don't care. But once I'm ready to file another claim, then I can't do it through the computer. I just keep calling through.

Other than that, every time I've called, I've always had a great time except for this latest time that I filed a claim. The claim prior to this was for the dishwasher. We had the top racks and the bottom wheels that needed to be replaced. So, we filed a claim back in April with this certain vendor, Local Home Appliance. The tech has already been out here before, and we didn't have an issue with him. Everything was fine. But this time around, he said, “Oh, the parts are kind of on a backorder. So, it might be a couple of weeks.” Then, it ended up being almost two months of a wait time, which was completely inconvenient because we were washing dishes by hand. What's the point of having a dishwasher if you're not gonna be able to use it?

This time around, the dishwasher’s having a leak. So, I called to file a claim. Home Warranty of America knows of my experience with Local Home Appliance. I kept saying, “I don't wanna work with this vendor again. How do we solve that issue, so when I filed another claim, that I don't have that same vendor?” They said, “Well, then you just request another one.” So, I filed a new claim for this dishwasher that has the leak. Their customer service rep was very adamant that their policy supersedes anything and whatever they say. So, I said, “So, you're giving me just two options, either I cancel my home warranty, or I have this vendor that I don't want in my house come over.” And he said, “No, I'm not saying that you have to cancel, but I'm telling you that I can’t get you another vendor.”

That same day, I was ready to cancel and I do have two policies with Home Warranty of America. I have it on rental property and the house that I live in. The one that I needed service one was for the house that I live at. I was ready to just cancel both of them. I spoke to their retention team. They said, “Absolutely, you can request another vendor. And we don't even need to know the reason why. That's totally your prerogative,” which was great. The person that I spoke to was great. I didn't cancel, and they’re working it out. The vendor came out and they said that we need a new pump. He’s gonna order the parts. He said he'd have it in a couple days. I haven't heard since. But so far, so good.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Home Warranty of America did a good job at replacing my dishwasher that went out in the first year I had them. So, I renewed my coverage. The claim submission experience could be a little better. They say that in the area I live in, company-wise, they're very short-handed on who they can use to provide the services to their customers. The only company that they use to service this area is Sears which is terrible when it comes to their appliance repairs. HWA almost lost me as a customer after the first year because of what I got put through by having to use Sears Appliance over the dishwasher. They made things a little bit better though and after three weeks of battling with the situation, they cashed me out and allowed me to purchase my own dishwasher.

The Sears techs did not know what they were doing. They came out to replace parts on my gas range top and they didn't even ask if it was propane or natural gas. They just diagnosed it, ordered the parts, and when the parts came, they put them in. I went to the kitchen later that evening and turned my burner on. The flames shot up at least 8 inches in the air. My hair is shoulder-length and if I hadn't jumped back, I would have burned my hair and my face. I told HWA that the Sears service guys will never set foot in my house ever again and that if they don't have another way to offer me to use the warranty, then I'd be canceling.

HWA told me that I can do the cash-out option each time. But, what I would have to do is choose my appliance company, send them out, pay the $100 deductible, figure out what's wrong with the item, have them submit the invoice, and then Home Warranty of America would determine whether or not they would replace it, or pay for the parts to be ordered and fixed. This is what I've done over the last two years because we had that issue with Sears. When I was able to bring out my own appliance repair person and submit the information to HWA, things have been perfectly fine.

I had my chosen appliance repair person come out and fix the range. They ordered the proper parts to switch it back to propane then it worked for another year. Then, my 18-year old oven stove decided to go poof. When that happened, I did the same thing. The same tech came and he estimated what was wrong with the range. The cost was going to be over $800 and I told HWA, "You're talking an 18-year-old stove. Why would we put $800 for the parts into a stove that I can go out and get one for $1,500? That doesn't make any sense." So they switched me over to the department that handles the cash-outs. The make and model of my stove sells from $1,400 to $3,000. HWA treated me very fairly and I was very impressed. The gentleman sent over the estimate and HWA got back in touch with me and said they were willing to cash me out for $2,500.

HWA gives me a choice between a paper check which can take up to three weeks or go with this company they work with called Tango which will send me a link where I can choose the gift card that I would like to have to purchase my new equipment. Tango deals with Home Depot and a bunch of other companies. I can go shopping for what I want, choose my stove, go back online, choose my gift card for where I'm going to purchase, and then things are instant. My gift card was there within three hours with $2,500. I do my order, walk up to the register, show them my phone and the girl there scans the barcode and puts the reference number in the register. That wipes off the gift card and the money goes straight to Home Depot. Then, my item is ordered and I set up a delivery date. The first two times I used HWA were not in my favor. But, they made a very good comeback.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Jessica. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. It means a lot when our customers share their experience. We place our customer experience and satisfaction as one of our top priorities, and your review reaffirms the constant efforts we put in every day. Lastly, we hope to continue earning your business leading into the future. Best regards, Tom/Digital Care.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I renewed with Home Warranty of America and my experience was good. Their sales reps have been all right and everything goes well when I call. But the people that they use don't seem to have a sense of urgency to get there. For instance, my hot water heater went out and was leaking all over my basement floor. So, my carpet was soaked. The guy came out a day or two after I called, which was great. But he told me I needed a new hot water heater, that he could order it, and he'd have it by Friday, which was a few days away.

On that Friday, he was supposed to be at my house at 9:00 and when he didn't come, I called him. He said he had another job and he was not going to be out here for another week or so. Then, my blower on my heater went out and it was the middle of winter, so it was really cold. But again, the people couldn't come out for a week. I got four kids in the house and I can't have no heat. Since I'm in the construction business, I know a lot of people that own their own HVAC and plumbing businesses. So, I called them and asked if they could come fix it my heater. Then, I called Home Warranty and told them that I got someone that would come fix it. I gave them the company name and they said, right then and there, that they'd approve them. They told me to just send them their bill and I got reimbursed back for what I got done like I always have.

All in all, I've never had one of Home Warranty's guy do the work whenever I have a claim because they've always been two weeks out. And being a family of six, everything that's gone out are stuff that we use daily. But work-wise and as far as getting things done, all the local businesses that I've used have been amazing. Home Warranty's reps also handled things very well in terms of dealing with the people that they requested who didn't come out.

But they should have more variety of people that would come out to work on things. There was an instance when my oven went out and I called them. They got me on a schedule then, when I called the contractor and they scheduled my appointment, it was almost two weeks away. But I love my oven and I can't cook anything without it. So, I called Home Warranty again and they said they'd find someone else. They got Sears and they were supposed to come out on a Friday. I thought I could make that work for three days without having an oven, but then, they called me and said they had to reschedule until that following week.

So, I called a local company in the town that I live in. We have a small appliance repair in our town and their guy said he could come over the next afternoon to take a look at my oven. So, I called Home Warranty and let them know. They said that was fine and to just have them send the bill. So, the tech came, said that the issue was on my heating element, and put it on order. And within two days, he was back in my house and he put in it. So, if Home Warranty could use small companies around town to branch out to, that would be good.

Despite that, I'd tell anybody that buys a house to get some home warranty and I'd recommend Home Warranty. When my buddy bought a house, he didn’t buy a home warranty but I told him for almost two years that he needed to get it. And sure enough, his hot water heater went out and he had some plumbing issues. So, he paid a lot more than what he should have paid to do all the work. That's what the warranty is there for and we love it.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Nathan. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. This is incredibly helpful. It means so much when our customers share their experiences. And know, we are increasing our efforts to affiliates with a variety of service providers and being prepared for any unexpected situation might occur to our homeowners. We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. Have a wonderful day and stay safe! Regards, Tom/Digital Care.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The service with Home Warranty of America has been challenging. Their subsidy company, Direct Energy, has my external sewer and I had a sewer line that needed to be replaced. But the claim was not put in at the proper time, because initially, it was listed as a plumbing issue because there was water coming into my house and I had yet to be diagnosed.

After it was diagnosed, there was a delay with the vendor reporting what happened to me and Home Warranty of America. Then Home Warranty of America refused to backdate the work to the proper date when the issue happened. They filed it as a different claim under the warranty. The issue got handled and everything's been taken care of. However, they put it under my new policy, which started in August, instead of the old policy back in July, when the initial issue happened. So now, if something happens, I have no coverage for the rest of the year.

Home Warranty of America told the vendor that they would backdate the work and that I would get a confirmation email. On Friday, I made five phone calls to Home Warranty of America because my phone call was dropped four times in the middle of transferring my call. I got transferred 17 times between those five phone calls and I spent three hours on the phone trying to get an answer about what was going on and why I haven't received that backdate confirmation email, only to be told that they weren't going to backdate it anymore when they had just told the vendor the night before that they would. They told me that they're not allowed to do that and that the vendor needs to contact the territory manager. It doesn't make sense that the vendor was told one thing and I was told another.

It has always been very difficult to contact someone when I try to follow up with my services. Part of the problem is that Home Warranty of America is not consistent with the agents that they provide you with. it's a different agent every time. They said that they function as an outbound call center, so no one has a direct number or you can't get anyone by extension. So, you're always constantly following up with somebody different, and then they have to have you repeat all the same information and then have them look at all the notes. So, that adds to the inconsistency.

When the water heater started leaking, it took Home Warranty of America about seven days to get somebody out. But that claim wasn't nearly as bad. My furnace broke down in 2019 in the middle of a polar vortex that year that we had negative 31-degree weather. But no one fixed it for two weeks. I had to go live at my mother's and I had to run heaters through my house in order for the pipes not to freeze. It could have been a very bad situation and caused a lot of damage to the house and to myself if I had nowhere to go, or very expensive for me to stay in a hotel at that time if that had been the case. I also had a cat and I was worried about him but I removed him from the situation.

Home Warranty of America fought with me about an electricity box. I had to have my electricity box replaced. It was a fire hazard and they were refusing initially to pay for it. I told them, "You've got to be kidding. The electrician called you and said the longer this sits, the more likely the house is to catch on fire and burn down. What do you mean you're not going to take care of this?" So, it's been a journey.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Requesting service is easy. But every time I have a service connection or request a service, Home Warranty of America can't find any contractors in my area. So every single time, I have to pay out of pocket first, and then get reimbursed constantly. I wasn't going to re-up with them, but I did, just out of convenience. Their customer service could be better. To put a single request in, I put one in the next day, they tell you it takes 48 hours, and they'll contact you or they don't contact you. Then I have to call back, and then I have to create another ticket because they can't find a ticket or the notes weren't transcribed. So it's a repeated process. It hasn't been a good experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Home Warranty of America used to have where you could split the annual fee into three payments, and then just be done for the year. I wish they would bring that back. Now, it's either pay the whole thing or pay it monthly. I also wish that we could pay on the website instead of having to call in and pay. Our AC techs came from one of the claims that we did and we still use them annually. It looks like it's a bunch of smaller businesses, not like the bigger ones. They had to send a couple of people because they didn't do what they were supposed to do. On the last time, we finally got the problem solved. But for the most part, it's an all right service. Our warranty is good for when something goes wrong and that we have that to call to get the techs out. They went up on the service fee, but it's probably the times. Other than that, it's good to have that as a backup.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I can’t get an answer to why my monthly payment is coming out but NO ONE can find my account!! I don’t know what is going on but I need things in my home to be fix. You need a better system and people who can answer and fix the problem.

Home Warranty of America response

Good morning Roni. We regret to hear you are having an unpleasant experience with your active claim/claims. We attempted to contact you via private requesting further details to take a closer look at your case over a 3 days ago without any response. If the claim is still open, or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our online team would be more than glad to aid you. Looking forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, - Mateo/The Digital Care Team

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

One time I tried to call about a claim and the company did not answer. I sent an email. It was not addressed. We ended up paying 550 for an issue that was covered by the insurance company.. This time around they asked for my deductible first then told me they can't find a contractor in the area so I have a claim open and they have my money! They never gave it back.

Home Warranty of America response

Good morning Ginger. We regret to hear you are having an unpleasant experience with your active claim/claims. We attempted to contact you via private requesting further details to take a closer look at your case over 3 days ago without any response. If the claim is still open, or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our online team would be more than glad to aid you. Looking forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, - Mateo/The Digital Care Team

Home Warranty of America Company Information