2. Homeowners
  3. Lighting Stores

3.8/5 (2342 ratings)

About Home Depot

Home Depot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

A little over four years ago we purchased a large Samsung French door refrigerator with an ice/water dispenser in the door. We also purchased Home Depot's five year extended warranty for $280. Additional to type purchase price. About a year after our purchase the door handles started coming loose. Called Samsung, they said call Home Depot. Was told sorry, not covered, cosmetic. We took care of it ourselves. About six months later we noticed a crack in the ice bin. Again, we were told sorry, not covered, cosmetic. We had to buy a replacement ourselves. Last week we noticed some bubbling of the paint and obvious rusting around the ice dispenser door. Again, called Home Depot, and lo and behold, SORRY, NOT COVERED, COSMETIC.

My wife and I are retirees in our mid seventies. When buying the warranty, we asked what it covered. The salesman told us "anything not covered by Samsung". Oh, really? What are we supposed to follow? We take pride in what we have taking good care so things will last. We don't have a lot of expendable dollars to replace this major appliance.

After having their representative out who told us nothing could be done, I stopped in to the North Port Home Depot store and was told by the sales lady in the appliance dept. that she steers people away from purchasing Samsung and LG products because of their poor quality and service. Had we known this upfront we would have done further searching for an appliance that we would be satisfied with. And we would never had expended the morning new to purchase their "EXTENDED WARRANTY" which is a waste of money. I have reached out to Home Depot and Samsung with no results. In the past ten years we spent in excess of ten thousand dollars at your stores. I guess I need to shop at one of your competitors in the future, because this has shown me that Home Depot doesn't care about its "Valued" customers. This is from Frank **.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Have purchased many items and appliances from Home Depot. Don't know what has changed but their customer service has dropped to a zero. I purchased, a refrigerator 2 years ago and also an extended warranty. In July of this year my freezer started leaking water all over the floor. Since the factory warranty was expired my call went through Asurion. The repairman came about 2 weeks later and said he had to order a part but did a temporary fix. When he left nothing was working. A month went by and I never heard back from them. I attempted to contact them but a recording answered the phone each time and no one ever came to the phone. Finally, I contacted Home Depot. Com, who was very apologetic. They listened to my concern and told me the repair company would get right back to me. That did not happen.

Bottom line is they never came back to fix it. I spent hours on the phone trying to get someone to address my problem. After going the entire summer with no refrigerator, Asurion finally purchased my appliance back in September. I immediately purchased a new one with my Home Depot Credit. Thought all was good. My delivery was scheduled for the following Thursday. I received a voicemail confirming the day and time window. Also I was sent a link to track my delivery. When they did not show at the time promised I went online to check the tracking. NOW, it read Friday.

When I called the delivery company and asked what happened they said it did not arrive on time to make the delivery on Thursday. I asked why I was not called to advise me of the change. The girl on the phone said she didn't know why. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She was rude and actually said I was never scheduled for Thursday and that it was always a Friday delivery. I told her I still have the voicemail from the previous night confirming Thursday. I then called Home Depot to tell them how unhappy I was with this service and after listening to all the excuses I told her to cancel the, order. She got back to me after cancelling and gave me a voucher number for my refund.

The next day the delivery people came, after I cancelled, I was not home and my 97 year old Mother left them in. In spite of the cancellation they took my old refrigerator and left the new one. Come to find out, the ice maker was not working and the door was not reversed as I stated on my order, and the refrigerator was not getting as cold as it should. I called Home Depot one more time to have it picked up. I told them IF it was working I would have kept it even after all that mess. I was, told that since the order was cancelled they could not come out to fix it.

Finally they picked it up, My refund was used for the cancelled order. I was told I would have to wait about 10 days for my refund, they now have my old refrigerator and the new one and they could not cap off the waterline to the ice maker. It is now October, I wake up every morning to water running over the bucket from the waterline and no refrigerator. Does anyone know of an attorney to take my case. July through October with no working refrigerator. **

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We recently moved and needed to replace the 13 year old appliances. Labor Day sales at Home Depot were a large incentive. We researched and purchased a new refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, microwave,washer and dryer from our local store. Home Depot contracts with delivery and installation personnel, in our case, Ralph’s Transport. Ralph’s showed up and promptly removed MOST of the old appliances. The new refrigerator was damaged and not delivered. The “professionals” at Ralph’s we’re unable to remove and install the existing dishwasher and microwave and were unable to install the clothes dryer despite having been paid to do so.

New refrigerator arrives THREE weeks later via Ralph’s, who proceeded to install it incorrectly, damaging the water line and causing flooding in my kitchen. Replacement for the replacement arrives TWO weeks later. Throughout this ordeal, Ralph’s customer service was surly and argumentative and accepted zero responsibility for damages and incompetence. Home Depot was little better although Mindy was able to procure the final fridge replacement without sending Ralph’s out to inspect (another company inspected). I expected much more support from Home Depot, I got so much less.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I had appliances delivered via this company. They missed my first delivery due to a phone number discrepancy which I called FOUR times previous to correct. They came with my appliances a week later. One was damaged on delivery so they ordered another one to be delivered. I updated my phone number IN PERSON with delivery crew. Then next week they missed my appointment again because they called the wrong number. I called a FIFTH time to update my phone number and no "supposedly" they are coming AGAIN this week. I don't believe anything is updated.

Also, I have new flooring and paint and was "reassured" they wore booties and put plastic on floors. They don't. They wheel dirty dollies in/out all over, use the bathroom, ask for drinks (and also select what type of drink they want out your fridge). Also I was starting a new job and had to rearrange it. Arrange it around THEIR time even though had they updated my number when I called. My new appliances would have been delivered in a timely manner BEFORE my job and BEFORE I got new paint/floors installed and BEFORE the movers came with all of my property. Don't use Home Depot or this company. What a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Absolutely got screwed by Home Depot! Made an order for kitchen appliances, $6000+, and they didn't get the address correct. Had to pay while making the order, but never got the delivery. And is there a way to get your money back from an online order? Hell no. Calls to the customer service and the service managers were met with no results. Said there was nothing they could do so not their problem. I will repeat this experience to everyone I see. Never shop there again!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I had scheduled to have my water heater replaced in Port St Lucie Florida because my sister called me while I was in NY and told me there was no hot water and there was water on the laundry room floor. So hearing this I believed the water heater to be the problem. It was a 40 gal 220v electric heater. So Home Depot subcontracts through Delta Plumbing which came a couple days later. The “plumber” removed and replaced the water heater and then went on to tell my sister that the water heater was not bad because it had hot water in it and the problem is you have a busted pipe somewhere. Which turned out to be five feet away behind a sink. I got a plumber to fix the leaks, one of which was under cement slab and the original one behind the sink which was the source of the leak on the floor which cost me $3100. By another plumber.

So why did the Home Depot contracted plumber remove my water heater if you can tell the problem was a water leak elsewhere and there was hot water in my unit? Just so they can continue with the job for $1160. Shady business!!! They should have told me what the problem was and just charged me a service charge and not remove my water heater. I would never let them contract for any home repair at any of my homes again. Then their customer service department said they would look into it and a few days later I get nothing back from them after several call having to explain it over and over. Ripped Off!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Ordered two ceiling fans online and paid for them with a cc. In The mail rec’d later that day had a 10% coupon from HD if using HD card. When picking up fans tried to return and buy with HD card to receive discount. Was told by manager that fans would have to be returned and I would have to submit a new order and wait for new delivery... This is stupid! This would be the only way to receive the 10% discount.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I cannot understand the love affair men have with the Home Depot. Every time I go to the store I ask for assistance and am give the wrong answer from the “experts.” Whether I ask how to fix something I fare so much better by watching a YouTube video then buying the parts I need online. Their floors are hard and I cannot leave without pain in my feet from the lack of shock absorption from their concrete floors. I predict that their long term employees (if such a beast exists) will, in 5-10 years all experience varicose veins and other orthopedic injuries/trauma as a result of this.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Bought a washer dryer online and scheduled for home delivery on Oct 2. Waited all day, no one called or showed up. Spent two hours on the phone being bounced around trying to figure out what happened. Rescheduled for Oct 5. Waited all morning, called again. Then was told, "Oh no, I am so sorry... the team that was supposed to reschedule your delivery did not put the request in on it, so we rescheduled for the 8th, which is the soonest they can deliver." Homedepot.com is a disorganized, incompetent mess. Go ANYWHERE else.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

We ordered a brand new gas range From the Tacoma, WA store because our last one died. We waited a week for delivery and when they took it off the truck and took the cardboard off it was obvious that someone had driven a forklift or other heavy object into it. The entire side was caved in. Called customer service and was told they couldn't do anything about it besides schedule another delivery, eight more days later. So we wait another week, I take another day off work to be home, and the second one is even more damaged than the first one. The cardboard box was torn and the oven was so bent up on the back corner that the paint was peeling off of it.

Customer service wasn't very apologetic, and they won't promise to deliver an undamaged oven. They did offer to refund my own money back to me at least, but that also takes 7 to 10 days. So my choice was to wait another week and probably get another dented item that they're trying to make us take, or wait up to 10 days to get a refund. Home Depot used to be a name you can trust, but they've decided to put profit over product and they have horrendous customer service. The guy.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Home Depot price match policy is total **. It is case by case basis, plain and simple. I brought in a competitors published ad (farmandfleet.com) for advertised Milwaukee part numbers 48-22-8441=($379.99) & 48-22-8542=($469.99). Home Depot on Alexis road in Toledo, Ohio told me in exact words "they can't come down that much". Even after they looked up the competitors ad online and confirmed their price, AND I handed them a published copy of the ad. No explanation why they would not match their competitor's price, and this was not a special order item. DO NOT OFFER A PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE IF YOU DO NOT PRICE MATCH. It is NOT a price match policy if you just decide you don't want to drop down to your competitors price, for items that you both advertise for sale. That is false advertising.

I will never shop at this deceptive unfair corporation again and will advise everyone I know against it as well! I went directly to Blain's farm and fleet in Jackson Michigan, on East Michigan ave. And picked up my Milwaukee items in person on the spot, for the advertised price (which was a combined $250 less than home depot).

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I opened a credit card to take advantage of the $100 off a $1000+ purchase offer, however, after 5 months I have yet to see a dime of that $100 credit. Customer service has been maddening... transferring me and giving me the runaround... telling me it will show up in another couple billing cycles. Think twice before you open a credit card with HD or shop there at all.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

GAF attic fan sold by Home Depot under warranty for 5 years. Stopped working. Removed it from the roof, went to Home Depot and was told I had to contact GAF for warranty, Now with a hole in my roof I had to buy another fan to replace the one I took off. I could not wait for GAF to send me a new motor. Home Depot should advise what is warrantied by them or if they are a broker for certain companies.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

When our hot water started leaking we immediately went to Home Depot for a replacement because I had read they had same day replacement. It was a Sunday so we had to pay $100, but we wanted it done and agreed. We told the sales person some of the things that were important to us (brass valves) and she pointed out a model and ordered it. We were told the water heater installer would come between 2 and 4 p.m. and he would provide the brass valves we needed. At 5:30 (and after two phone calls) the installer showed up. When we noticed the valves were not brass, he said he could replace it for $60 more. We agreed. Part way through the process we reminded him again about the valve and he said he would not do it because it would void the warranty (not sure why he didn't say that the first time). We called Home Depot and they said to call Delta the plumbing installer in the morning and talk to customer service.

We called both Delta and Home Depot. Two days later and no call from Delta. Home Depot called back to see if Delta called us back and we said no. Bottom line is we did not get what we wanted. We picked Home Depot because we thought they would use a company that provides good, timely and professional service. Delta did none of those things and Home Depot has not been helpful either. We are not hot water experts and relied on the expertise of our sales associate. If she didn't know what she was doing she should have directed us to someone else. The whole experience was terrible. Spending over $1,000 for a product and service that was sub par is not what we expect from Home Depot. Next time we will go to Lowe's or Costco.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I ordered a 3x5 Betsy Ross Flag on 9/12/2019. A week went by & I hadn't received my order & didn't hear anything from Home Depot regarding the status of it so I sent an email to customer service to find out what was going on. I gave it 24 hours with no response, I sent another email asking the same question, another 24 hours went by & still no response so I sent another one & lo & behold NO RESPONSE! That was 3 emails, 3 strikes & you're out in my book! I paid for my order thru PayPal so I decided to file a dispute thru them.

Well the next day I get an email from Home Depot stating that my order had shipped & though I felt skeptical I cancelled my dispute thru PayPal knowing that I could no longer have the help from them for this situation but felt like everything would be ok. I was wrong, a few days went by & not only Home Depot's website but UPS said that my flag had been delivered to The Dundalk MD location on Saturday the 29th of September & was dropped off at the front desk. I waited until Monday because in the past I was told the receiving people aren't there on weekends & still no call or email to pick up my order. I called the store where my order was delivered to be told "oh it hasn't came in yet." I told her it was saying it was dropped off there on Saturday at 10:09 a.m. but was told the person that does that job must of checked it off before he knew it really didn't come in & that it actually is supposed to be there on Oct. 3rd!

Number 1, why would the person do that before knowing if it actually was there or not (not a good way to do business) & 2nd Why would UPS say it was delivered if it wasn't? I am off today so I was able to call customer service to be told she was showing it delivered also & that for some reason it didn't come in the first time so they had to reorder it, she was being honest instead of giving me the runaround like the person at the Dundalk MD Home Depot location & told me she doubted I would see that flag anytime soon if at all & suggested I cancel the order. Which is what I did, but now I have to wait more time to get my refund! This whole thing is bad business!! Don't think I will be ordering online from Home Depot anymore. :(

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I purchased over $400 worth of Daltile (Parkstone 12x12) from Home Depot in Raleigh NC (Captial Blvd) in September 2019. I hired a professional tile installer to install my bathroom tile. After he laid several boxes of tile, he had to stop because half of the tile were 11 3/4 inch and the other half were 11 5/8 inch even though it is clearly indicated on the box that the tiles are 12 x 12. I don't have a problem with the tile being 11 3/4, but ALL OF THEM SHOULD BE THE SAME FREAKING SIZE!!!! My floor is half finished because my tile installer said he cannot mix the tiles because the joints will not line up and it will look like crap!

I went back to the store and was told the Parkstone (by Daltile) has been pulled from all the stores to replace it with a new product. I also went to the Fuquay-Varina Store and the Garner store - but I could not locate any tiles that were 11 3/4. The Garner Store found some boxes but they were 11 5/8 (which is what I have). I was told at the Garner Store that Daltile is known for manufacturing defective tiles (different sizes in the same box).

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

My husband and I bought carpets through Home Depot. The day we ordered them our associate was having difficulty putting through our order with an associate on the phone. After many hours, our purchase went through. We were promised 24 month financing and that is why I opened a Home Depot credit card and we went through with the sale. The day of the install there wasn't enough carpeting, so about a week later they had to come out to finish the job. When the credit card bill came, it did not reflect the 24 months financing. I reached out to customer service and was told they have to review it and still have not heard. We would not have made the purchase if we couldn't get the financing. Very disappointed and it is a shame we can't return the carpets.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Seriously. This was the most frustrating shopping experience I've ever had. I stood in the tile department for an hour, maybe longer, looking for product. I didn't have one person ask me if I needed help. I struggled through finding the product, because shelves of product were not where they should have been. Then I went to the check out, I found that I had to be the cashier. Whoever thought that self checkout was a good idea is sorely mistaken. As a designer, and spending thousands and thousands of dollars on customer product and having worked in the construction field for over 20 years, I had always shopped at Lowe's or local businesses. After today, I will be going back there. Hire some people to help customers. Hire some cashiers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Where can I begin? I ordered a snow blower and a ladder online. They only offered express delivery and claimed standard was not available. Of course this was an additional fee of 80 dollars, but being I had no means of transporting it myself, I opted for the express. The next day...nothing comes. I call the number attached to my order number and they tell me if was never scheduled to ship. Okay? Then clearly I requested it to be shipped immediately and be reimbursed for my "express" delivery fee. Honestly I would of canceled the whole order but part of the purchase was a gift card which I am positive I would of just lost. So Home Depot gives me the number for the store directly on Staten Island and they claim that they don't offer express but would send it out in two days...sure.

Two days pass and still no delivery. I don't know if the people I have been dealing with are just completely incompetent or they just don't wanna be bothered with me because they continue to tell me they are looking into it but never call me back. Finally, after calling for the fifth time, they tell me they do not deliver to my address and my order was sent to another location which nobody told me. So now supposedly it will be arriving tomorrow after 5 days when I have already been charged and still not reimbursed for my delivery. What are the chances it actually arrives tomorrow? I would guess pretty slim. STAY AWAY FROM HOME DEPOT ONLINE OR YOU WILL ENTER PANDORA'S BOX OF NEGLIGENCE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

While trying to order a Weber Grill part I called Home Depot, lady that answered was very busy, put me on hold, so I hung up. A few minutes later Brenda from West Ashley Store in Charleston, SC. called me back, was so sorry, went out of her way to help me, even called Weber, went online with HD, And Weber, called me back again, with model #, parts #. So impressed, very Professional, a real asset to your company, I'm going to the Store to meet her and personally thank her.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Try to purchase a water heater priced between $400 and $500. Found the product I wanted and the salesperson said it could be installed next day. I asked how much the installation would be and told me the installer will tell me. To my surprise a person showed up and look at the place for over 30 minutes....writing and writing in a piece of paper. The old water heater was in a VERY accessible place in the garage and he didn’t have to build anything, maybe a new hose. When he gave me the estimate I almost had a heart attack, the estimate was between $2,000.00 and $3,000.00 and that is because he was giving us a discount. Is this what installing a water heater installation cost. Are you kidding me.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I feel severely mistreated as a customer. I am livid. Rude employees at the store, Worcester 01608 Zip code. Rude, inept delivery services (Expo and Express), rude managers, and Customer Service takes a complaint but wants to transfer you to someone else - why do they not simply resolved the problem, call the next necessary dept themselves. Do not trust Home Depot. They do not care about you. Management does not care about you.

The Manager on duty today at 4:14PM Worcester MA should be fired. I tried all day to get to talk to anyone there, they NEVER answer the phone and if they do they transfer you and then no one picks up and obviously this is allowed behavior. I finally was able to leave my name and number for a manager to call me at 1:26, and I was assured a manager would call me 'promptly'. By 4pm still no one called me and they knew exactly how upset I was. The manager called me at 4:14pm but only after I called Corporate to complain and she was mad at me at the first word, yelling and talking over me, again she should be fired. Never to walk in Home Depot again. NEVER.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Bought several appliances over a period of a year including additional warranties. All delivered by Home Depot employees. The stove arrived broken initially and sent back, upon final delivery they state we need to get someone to hook it up so we did. One year later it’s having issues and guess who doesn’t want to pay for the repairs, yep Home Depot. Attempted to call and clarify and supervisor was too busy to get on phone. Don’t waste your money folks. They don’t back their word or their warranties! Lowe’s here we come.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I ordered a new gas hot water heater to be installed in my basement, next to the drain. The installer insisted that code required a pan be installed under the heater, on a concrete floor next to the drain on a sloping floor resulting in the job costing an additional close to $200 for a pan that cost $18.18 at Lowe's. When the county building inspector came to inspect, I asked if that was necessary and he said no.

Ohio Building code. 504.7 Required Pan. Where a storage tank-type water heater or a hot water storage tank is installed in a location where water leakage from the tank will cause damage, the tank shall be installed in a pan constructed of one of the following:

1. Galvanized steel or aluminum of not less than .0236 inch in thickness
2. Plastic not than .036 in thickness

3. Other approved materials

A plastic pan shall not be installed beneath a gas-fired water heater.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Our car was flooded driving through the store 3010 parking lot on the side of Home Depot building, as well as several other customers. Home Depot never asked if we need help and refused to pay the damages stating that the rain on their parking lot was an act of God and that the debris that clogged the sewers on the side of their building was the landlord problem and the car lot on the other side of the street caused, behind a slotted 5’ chain link fence. Please let me know where to include photos of Home Depot’s negligence. On their parking lot was an act of God and that the debris blocking the sewers came from a car lot on the other side of a fence. Please let me know where to include pictures.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Tried to purchase dining room furniture set online. Called for support to place my order. Phones go unanswered! Went to a store to ask for some help to place my order! Was not working online! No one would or could help me place the order! Tired numerous times! Decided to try again online to place the order the next day and all items in my cart had increased 70 percent! Called customer service again, after two hours of holding and being pasted around and a rude MANAGER, I was unable to get the items, I had been trying to order for three days at the price they were in my cart! If the system worked or someone was there to help on the phone, I would have the items at price offered! I have been a Home Depot Card holder for 25 years for business and home, spending thousands, but they truly could care less! Customer Service and online ordering is a joke!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I went to order some wood pallets from my pellet stove for the winter and was told I could not get them shipped to the Idaho Falls store and that if I wanted them I would have to do to Pocatello. I live in Menan and work 60 hours a week. I don't have time for that. They have carried them in all the years past but because the Idaho Falls store is not one of the main stores they will no longer carry them. I just want to say I'm letting everyone I know that buys from there not to go there.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I purchased an item and paid for delivery. At first I was told 9/24 it would be delivered, then they changed it to 9/19, then finally to 9/17. Then I received a call the day before telling me there was a 4 hour window starting at 12pm. I made space inside my garage and arranged for someone to be there at 12. When the person showed up at 11:45, the item had already been dropped off and was sitting in my driveway. I called the logistics company and was told the window was "a suggestion" of time. I called Home Depot and they said they aren't responsible. I'm so, so, so disappointed in the execution of this delivery and the service received afterwards. It put a horrible taste in my mouth regarding doing business with Home Depot in the future. At this point, even if I have to inconvenience myself or pay more, it will be worth it to avoid shopping here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I placed an order to purchase two wall unit air conditioners from Home Depot online and it was difficult. The user interface is cumbersome, inefficient, and the shipping procedure is far below the norm. Here is my experience: I initially entered an order with one unit to the inbox and tried to increase the quantity to two from the Box and didn't allow. Found out that it's not allowed to increase the quantity. I had to create another order for the same item.

Tried to update (correct) the street number right after placed the order and it doesn't allow. I called the support who claimed updated and received the email confirmation. A few days later, when I received a phone call from the shipping company, they had the original incorrect address. They asked me to contact Home Depot to correct as they can't. (And don't). Obviously, it wasn't corrected before. With 25+ minutes on the phone with Home Depot being transferred to 3 departments, finally corrected. I am not pleased with their procedure.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I purchased 2 garage doors that included installation for my home at the Coeur d'Alene Home Depot. The people that helped me decide what I needed and wrote up the contract were excellent. They said, and the contract stated that a installer would contact me within 48 hours for a on site inspection prior to the doors being made. Nobody ever contacted me. Repeated calls to the Home Depot installation contact person were not answered. Messages left on the answering service were not answered. After a week and a half, I finally tracked down the installation person at the store and canceled the contract. This was a bad experience.

Home Depot Company Information