Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
3.39/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

243 Harbor Freight Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have a homemade camper that I built myself over the last 3 years. And are still building... lol. So I want this camper to be completely self sufficient. I love to tinker with electronics, and I’ve built several generators for off grid use. That brings us to the Thunderbolt Solar line. Although a lower end product, they have paid for themselves. I currently run a 10 panel grid on the roof of the camper. Some old from the 3 panel series and some new, from the 4 panel series. Now I’ve come to realize that they are good battery maintainers but if the batteries are low, it takes days and days to come back, but it will charge them. I have 4 super start 90ah flooded marine deep cycle batteries. Again el cheapo start set. And it works.

Ok, last year I upgraded to the Jupiter 2000w inverter. I hooked it up with my normal battery cables, same size as vehicle. And it ran for about a month. Then one day I turned it on and poof! All 8-30a fuses blew at once and blue flames shot out the back. Wow! It originally took me over an hour to set it up the way I wanted it. But fellas, I gotta tell you what the flight of the bumble bee looks like unhooking that monster in seconds flat. I place kicked it out the door and into the street smoking like crazy. Ok that’s not a bad review, that’s my admittance to ignorance. (BUY THE #2 FAT CABLES FOR THE INVERTER!!!) It is well worth the 40.

I now run a 1000w Jupiter with those fat cables and what a difference! Smooth running/runs damn near everything/quietly. And while I’m on here, the solar panels get 10 gauge wire. Get rid of the resistance. Keep wires as short as possible. Don’t buy the warranty because you're going to change out the wires. Build a gang junction box. Poss. and neg. buss bars. With 1-10 gauge set of wires going to the controller. Use blocking diodes on every panel, then use a capacitor on the hub. It’s called the night club effect. Have the power waiting to come in. Backed up at the capacitor. Let it bottle neck.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I needed to return an item. I talked to Teresa the manager of Store #00109. I have talked to Managers in the past but none can compare to Teresa. She was very professional, told me my options and solved my problem with minimal time. She was courteous and showed the very best customer service. She should be given an award for her service whether time off, or something extra in her pay check. At any rate you should very proud to have her working for you. Her team was very helpful and their customer service was award winning too. Thanks again. A loyal customer forever.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at this location for at least 10+ years. Mill Street, San Bernardino, California. The people will react as nice as one treats them. Some other people could be rude. Jeff the Mgr. and his ladies are awesome and helped me on a return without blinking an eye. Certainly some tools might not be high end so do not complain if some do not work as well as others. For Pete's sake, a ten dollar grinder is not going to be like a $100.00 Dewalt. There are Ford Fiestas and Cadillacs. They are not of the same ilk.

Jeff took care of my little problem in such a speedy and friendly manner that I was blown over. The young ladies working there know me as a regular customer and treat me like family, so do the men. God bless these people. As far as the people that are a bit rude in other stores, perhaps they have problems and bring them to work. It is the people, not the store or store brand. Thank you Jeff and ladies.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

So I had a situation that most of us have which is you haven't returned and as much as I rate returns with root canals I had to do this one. But I have the unfortunate experience of having to use my American Express Bluebird card when I first purchased the items and returns on the American Express Bluebird take forever. When they say 3 to 5 business days they mean 5 business days minimum so upon my arrival on Thursday evening I make sure my items were in proper order and condition and I thought out the store manager on duty. The store managers on duty was named Cheyanne. I asked her if I could get the cash back rather than having to go back on my card and she immediately said, "No problem." She did ask the amount.

The amount was about $44 so I was definitely on the low end of returns and my expectations. She proceeded to tell me to go ahead and get in line and when that I arrived to have the cashier contactor. That took all of 3 minutes and soon I was out the door within 5 minutes. Perfect. There's a reason why you go to the same stores. There's a reason why you put up with some of the things that maybe you don't have to put up with that some of the other bigger stores. But I will never talk trash about Harbor Freight and the products that they supply. Well done Cheyanne and Harbor Freight team!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am very happy with this Earthquake XT 3/8 drive impact gun for the coupon price. It is my first cordless impact. I was skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised using it for the first time. It packs a nice punch for its size and I've tackled some rather nasty mid-size fasteners with it. The convenience of no air hose sold me right off the bat. The build quality seems really good and I plan to get a 1/2 drive model after seeing how this holds out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I purchased this bench top blast cabinet and I couldn’t get the media (80 grit glass beads) to flow through the tube to the nozzle. I called the technical number in the manual and was talking with someone, he wanted to find more information on the product so he put me on hold. When he came back he accidentally hung up on me (as far as I know) I tried to call back and the recording said that, "Due to hi call volumes we are unable to answer your call" and to call back during normal business hours. I received the cabinet damaged and when I added the media to the cabinet it started to leak from one corner. Needless to say I’m taking this thing back and getting a refund. This thing is a piece of **. I do not recommend it and I advise calling the technical line well before the end of the day.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Harbor Freight would not replace two split metric impact sockets. I will never shop in the stores again. For the same price or less you can get tools with a real warranty and no questions asked. Very poor customer service. Too much trouble to return tools with no satisfaction.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Went to my local harbor freight to purchase a 4x8 folding trailer only to find they were out of stock. No big deal. Drove 60 miles to the next closest to purchase the trailer. After 3 days of assembly trailer was ready to go once I got it licensed. Went to DMV and found out certificate of origin was not filled out. Local harbor freight refused to fill it out so another 60 miles to where I purchased it from. Store supervisor goes to fill it out and writes in the wrong spot then crosses it out. I explained that there’s no way the DMV is going to accept it now. Now they are telling me it could take 4 weeks before I get a new certificate. As of right now and 240 miles later I have an assembled trailer in my driveway that is useless.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I'm looking to power up a product and tried numerous Thunderbolt batteries without success. No expiry date, customer service claims ignorance. What review site cuts you off with so little room for a review? Answer is: one that is guilty of false promotion and advertising. Next stop is with the FCC. Someone needs to to put an end to deceptive advertising. For me it's not an issue of cost but an issue of finessed promotion and deceitful advertising. Their product support rep told me that I shouldn't expect much from a product offered at 1/3 the price of Duracells. Yet in their promos they promise quality product at a fraction of the brand name costs, They should add "at a fraction of the service and life expectancy" as well.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Purchased a garden hose (the white, heavy duty style) and it developed several pinhole leaks after only a few days of proper use. Contacted them via the website, gave them the information requested and then received NO follow up email. A week later, I call customer service and experience a hold time like no other. I don't think I'll be shopping at harbor again, due to their horrible return policy and customer service. I can get much better service and spend about the same elsewhere.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I am still waiting for my order, 3 weeks now, with still no tracking number. Tried to contact them via their website, zero response. Never ordered from their website before and will never order again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Called the HF 800 number to ask about the recall issue on Drill Master drills overheating. Was on hold for 18 minutes and finally gave up. Problem was the charger became extremely hot, not the drill itself. Just needed to know what the recall covered.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I like to shop from Harbor Freight Tools but today I was to return back item. I bought it before two days and the employee was very rude with me when I was in the line waiting to do my return back and then I do talked with the employee and asked her to exchange the item and she sent me to get one from the shelf. I didn’t found anything in the shelf. After I come back to her she asked me to go back to line. I told her why I should be in the line again. She ignored me and didn’t reply to me. She already was served me and she was waiting for me to bring the item from the shelf. Why she did this with me.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I made the mistake of purchasing an electric Harbor Freight log splitter app 5 months ago. I have barely used it and now it does not work. At all. I went to the store and they said I was SOL as they only warranty their products for 3 months. Here is a tip - do not do business with a store that only warranties products for 3 months as that means that the products that they sell are garbage. I called the customer support phone number from the manual. Was on hold for over 11 minutes (not too bad) and listened to a recording in which I was told that Harbor Freight "treats its customers like family".

Sure, makes sense if your father was Charlie Manson. It turns out that they have zero support. None. Nothing. The manual indicates that "Central Machinery" was the manufacturer but when you call that number you get Harbor Freight. The reason why they do that is because if you do call the manufacturer you will have no idea what they are saying unless you can speak and understand Chinese. I am now left with a hunk of iron that split about 30 pcs of wood and now is worthless. AVOID HARBOR FREIGHT AT ALL COST!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought a mig welder from Harbor Freight by Chicago Electric. Due to illness I didn't get to try it out until months later. It made one tiny spark and that was it. I am a experienced welder with many hours of experience. I contacted customer service and they said I was stuck with it. Beware to anyone who plans on purchasing one. I wasted my money on it but no more!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have had two bad experiences with Harbor Freight Tools and will never deal with them again. The first was with the purchase of a compressor. I only needed it for light-duty use. It was supposed to be warranted for 30 days. During that time, I filled bike tires approximately 5 times. On the 32nd day, it stopped working and it appeared that any seals or gaskets between the compressor and air tank had blown out. You could hear leaking air. I called the store and talked to the manager. He said they would NOT take it back. I was incredulous. I explained to him that the compressor, which wasn't cheap, was only used a few times and only to fill bike tires. He stood his ground and refused to help me. I stopped shopping at that store, which I had patronized at least every other week for years.

Fast forward to recently. I received a Harbor Freight gift card as a Christmas gift. I have been the victim of identity theft and do not use my credit cards online any longer. I found something on their website to purchase and went through the order steps and inserted the gift card number and PIN. It would not let me complete the purchase without putting in credit card information, even though my purchase total was several dollars less than the gift card value. I called their customer service and was told that maybe the order desk could help over the phone. They then told me that they would not take any order without a credit card number, even when the gift card would be sufficient. This company is not customer-focused or customer-friendly by any stretch. They are the worst and I would not deal with them in any capacity in the future.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I wrote a 1 star review for the 21G McGraw air compressor item # 64858. After 1 weekend the tube that goes from the pump to the tank was broken. I returned the product and got another one thinking maybe it was a fluke. After 2 days saw the same failure. The review was never posted on Harbor Freight's website. I guess they selectively post the positive reviews and discard the negative ones. Buyer beware...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Went to Harbour Freight in Warner Robins GA to buy a utility cart. The carts were up on a shelf zip tied down. I asked to have one taken down so I could check the height. I was told it was not allowed. I then asked to see a manager and she told me she was the manager. I said, "Are you willing to risk a sale" and she said yes. Will never shop where I am not allowed to examine the merchandise.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This company will not stop mailing catalogs to my address under three different people names. I called and spoke with CS and the catalogs continue. I filed a complaint with BBB and the catalogs continue. I will never purchase from this company because they have hijacked my address and will not stop mailing me unwanted catalogs. This is wasting trees.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I also ordered a water pump like John from VA. Order number ** shipping to Inman, SC (**). Well, let me follow-up with the same that John said... Ordered on the 21st, they updated the package as "shipped" on the 22nd. Even though they didn't have the product. Only way I found out, used the automated system on via their phone number. Product was on back order.

Today is the 24, still item states "shipping label created". Meaning not shipped, even though their customer service responded via email and phone that the item shipped. Called FedEx, go figure. They haven't received the items from Harbor Freight. I also asked on the 23rd to cancel. Stated they couldn't because the item has shipped that FedEx hasn't updated their tracking details...

24th, called again. Backed the agent against the wall with what FedEx stated and of course that the item was back ordered. She changes the story to, "Let me send a message to our warehouse..." I said, "No, just cancel. I already had a pump that Amazon sent within 24 hours." She stated she couldn't because it is "marked" as shipped. I stated, "I will call my credit card company." She then gets concerned taking notes (can hear the typing in the background). Stating, "Sir if you call to issue a chargeback. Chargeback," I never said anything about a chargeback.

Guess this is a normal thing for them. Didn't care what else they had to say at this point. They can argue with my credit card company at this point. First and last time buying from these guys. Junk customer service with nothing but lies. One they never advised the items was back ordered during two phone conversations. Two, item is more than likely coming from China before it actually does ship. Three, their customer service is junk and more than likely should be based out of China. Stick to buying in store and stay away from ruining the internet with useless online retail that you cannot fulfill.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Ordered a water pump that I desperately needed on Jan 3rd. They update order with two tracking numbers. 4 days later tracking numbers are not valid. Called to cancel order and was told they can not because it shows shipped. Even though tracking is not valid and they have no other tracking they can not cancel order and said they never will be able to. I should hope that the product just arrives soon. They said the only thing I could do is a dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Very low quality tools, and a scam to buy warranty as insurance against their lousy quality tools? With the warranty you end up paying the same as you would for a name brand you can actually trust. What a complete joke. Tools break prematurely, the concept is a big SCAM???

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

The Hamburg NY store 00643 on 12/28/2018 3:22:42 pm register NEXT TO REGISTER 3. I went to Harbor Freight. As I was leaving I was in great deal of pain. My foot had a boot on it. There was a lady at the cash register. I went to it. She went by the window and came back. She threw me out of line verbally and wanted to take the guy at the back still shopping. She called that the next in line. I tried to explain I'm in pain and need help. She wouldn't listen. I had to find a place to sit. Then I called to my sister in law to come in and stand in line for me. From this experience I feel Harbor Freight is not handicap friendly.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered 9 4' Shop Lights #64410 in November 2018. Without any notification, they were placed on back-order. I have called (800) 423-2567 to find a estimated ETA several times since finding that they were back-ordered. This morning I started calling within 3 minutes of opening and each time I called, I was told how valuable I was as a customer and they wanted to treat me like family. First 3 times I called, I was told agents were busy and that there was a wait time of 10 Minutes. 3 times I waited on the line for more than 16 minutes and then the phone would disconnect. I then tried Customer Service (800) 444-3353) and after about 8 minutes was hung up on again. My order is still on back-order and I don't know if it will ever be delivered. I shop Harbor Freight a lot but not sure I will ever order online with them again. There is absolutely no reliable Customer Service available.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was told that FedEx controls the inventory of what HF ships out. I placed an order on the 9th and here on the 17th it still states the item label is printed but FedEx has not shipped it yet. HF stated that they put all the items in the FedEx truck then FedEx scans them. Then they are ready to ship. So I asked if HF has no record if the item was placed in the truck, they do not. So FedEx is HF's inventory control. I was told it would take another 2 to 3 days for the tracking, then they would ship out another item if FedEx doesn't have it... So how long do I wait... And of course the answer is to get off the phone, HF will provide me with nonsense answers. It will ship out immediately. Like the last one ordered, and HF did not know if it had shipped.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ordered items online. Was told battery for drill was back ordered. Come to find out drill was on backorder and they already shipped the extra battery I ordered with drill. What good is a battery without the drill? Will never do business with Harbor Freight again!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I bought my first Harbor Freight Generator many years ago. The first "blue" one finally started disintegrating, i.e. the sheet metal containing the pull rope and spring assembly started cracking; it became impossible to fix; Harbor Freight offers no replacement parts. I then bought the "new" predator model, same size. Despite careful maintenance and frequent quality oil changes it lost compression after 2 seasons. On my third foolish purchase I was suckered into buying the extended "warranty" (actually insurance for a 100 $ extra).

That machine lasted exactly 1 month past the 90 day warranty provided by Harbor Freight. When I returned it they readily supplied me with a new one. After it was loaded I was asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I told them I already had that. Turns out they wanted me to pay that 100 $ again! NO WAY! What it really means that Harbor Freight is not in the generator business but in the insurance business. Just think of it. If their generators can't last more than 4 months; that makes buying a generator from them an annual expense of 1200 $!

I got 3/4 of my money back, went to Coastal and bought a Honda (like the mgr. at the Harbor Freight in Medford Oregon suggested). It came with a 3 year parts and labor all inclusive warranty. The repair shop at Coastal is "filled" with Harbor Freight Machinery that people bring in hopes of having them repaired only to find it can't be done, either because parts can't be had or the repair would cost more than a new item. So rather pay the 1/2 hour service charge people leave them thus providing others with a random supply of used parts. I believe Harbor Freight was more service minded in the past and would have worked with me on the generator considering just how quick it went bye bye. NOT ANYMORE! So consider your needs, maybe find a used generator till you can buy a good one! Or make do with a minimum of power supply till you can afford to buy what you need.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have purchased a lot of tools from Harbor Freight over the years and have exported them to where I live in the Caribbean, so nothing large can be returned. They have changed strategies and re-branded old tools with hitherto unknown names on the basis that they are professional high end units which is obviously a con. The margin between cheap Chinese and genuine quality brands is dropping fast. The discount coupons are getting to be worthless now that more and more items are being excluded. I purchased a little 3200 watt generator and was surprised to find how quiet and smooth it was. Whether it actually produces 3200 watts continuously I have not checked. I put it in storage for 8 weeks with stabilizer in the gas. When I then came to start it it refused to fire. I stripped the carb to find the main jet blocked with rust from the float bowl!

I had a Generac before for years, I never put stabilizer in it and it always started first pull but it was stolen. I have coated the float bowl in epoxy resin but it just goes to show how cheap, cheap is. Some of the tools I have had have stood up exceptionally well, but now the prices are climbing substantially, the risk is no longer worth it. I have found their grinders to be OK but will fail very quickly when grinding or cutting concrete. I purchased a press drill and shipped it overseas only to find that the motor had been wound wrong and it would only run backwards.

Inside Track seems to be a con, I have noticed things on sale at cheaper prices than the so called track club offers. I know people that return tools much older than 90 days and get away with it. One way is to buy another tool, wait a few weeks and return the old tool for cash. In the event that they will not provide warranty parts for large power tools you still have the option of buying another and returning the same unit after swapping out the parts. It's not what you would wish to do but sometimes the only answer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I got a 20% off coupon in the mail and went to Harbor Freight in Glen Burnie, MD. After picking out the compressor I wanted I was told that the compressors weren’t included in the 20% offer. Anything I wanted to buy wasn’t included - impact wrench, sockets, etc. Harbor Freight says their cheap china tools compare to snap on. What a joke. I have bought from this co. for over 40 years but won’t ever again. Their help doesn’t care if you buy from them or not but a lot of stores have the same feeling. I guess they will go the way Sears went.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Apparently, every customer who used a credit or debit card at Harbor Freight this Veterans Day weekend was double charged. I called the store where I shopped and they said they were given a script to read to customers regarding the problem and advised me to call corporate customer service as the store could not reverse the double charge. I called customer service and was told that I would get my money back probably within 14 days. This was a $300 purchase and Harbor Freight took $600 - overdrafting my account and leaving me broke until next payday. I don't understand how they can screw up like this and keep customers' money hostage while they work out their computer problems. Customer service reps were not helpful as they made no attempt to resolve this - just read the script and told me to be patient. Just give your customers back their money! I will never shop there again and advise everyone to avoid them!

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information