1.57/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

207 Harbor Freight Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

So I had a situation that most of us have which is you haven't returned and as much as I rate returns with root canals I had to do this one. But I have the unfortunate experience of having to use my American Express Bluebird card when I first purchased the items and returns on the American Express Bluebird take forever. When they say 3 to 5 business days they mean 5 business days minimum so upon my arrival on Thursday evening I make sure my items were in proper order and condition and I thought out the store manager on duty. The store managers on duty was named Cheyanne. I asked her if I could get the cash back rather than having to go back on my card and she immediately said, "No problem." She did ask the amount.

The amount was about $44 so I was definitely on the low end of returns and my expectations. She proceeded to tell me to go ahead and get in line and when that I arrived to have the cashier contactor. That took all of 3 minutes and soon I was out the door within 5 minutes. Perfect. There's a reason why you go to the same stores. There's a reason why you put up with some of the things that maybe you don't have to put up with that some of the other bigger stores. But I will never talk trash about Harbor Freight and the products that they supply. Well done Cheyanne and Harbor Freight team!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My model 65298 Harbor Freight, Chicago Electric, My Electric Reciprocating saw is total junk. The blade holder, the chuck, does not hold the blade in properly. I absolutely hate a piece of junk tool. I’m ready to throw this piece of junk into the trash can. Motor works just fine. The quick disconnect chuck is total junk. I wouldn’t even give this tool away. Cheaply Made in China. I’m now a retired weekend warrior. That said, it should be good enough for what I use it for. NOPE! TOTAL JUNK!

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2018

When I called a few years ago, they didn't even have a customer service and I corresponded by email FOR WEEKS and never got a resolution. This time I ordered a paint gun and they didn't have the one I wanted so they use a cheaper version if that's possible. Then I said I would get back to them so I called a couple hours later and a lady named Chanel said she canceled the order. Well lo and behold she didn't cancel it so it is being sent to my house. THE ONE I DIDN'T WANT. So now I have to deal with getting a refund. Do not ever do anything online with this company. I actually like their products because I don't do a lot of construction work but their customer service is the worst!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Attempted to use the HF 25%-off coupon. At the cash register was informed that the lock boxes are not eligible. Reason? "Don't know. You just find out when you check out what is eligible." This is unacceptable. Won't drive there again to see if their coupon is really valid.

Original review: July 15, 2018

As others have said, most items cheap and cheaply made. Customer service is non existent and nobody knows where anything is in the store. Try to buy a battery operated impact gun, and wouldn't you know it, they did have the batteries for it. Waited in line for ten minutes to find out they didn't have any in the back room. Won't be going back ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: July 13, 2018

They sell cheap stuff. The price is cheap (especially if you use the coupons), and the quality is cheap. But what's really sad is that they hold back negative reviews. They have held back my negative and constructive reviews. So you can't trust the reviews.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! My husband lost a gift card there and immediately called to have it shut off and a card was to be sent out to him. However, days later we were told no card would be issued because there was only a 1.00 on it left. Their excuse was that it was holiday so what they said would not hold water because they could answer a phone on a holiday when they had a mega sale but they could not shut it off? Sounds like b.s. and bad customer service. Getting our money through our credit card dispute but never shopping here again. Their customer service people are downright nasty and they have NO customer service. Buyer beware at this company!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I tried foolishly to use a coupon at Harbor Freight Tools yesterday. Turns out, there are soooo many things the coupon doesn't work for, it renders it almost useless. 20% off, except: nearly everything of any value in the store. I couldn't find a single thing in the store that I wanted where the coupon applied. Just not worth the effort to try anymore.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Dont bother trying to call HF customer service. Reps only read from scripts and have ZERO common sense. When asked a question not part of the script they hang up. Happened 3x in a row. Deal with reputable companies only, not fly by night RIP offs.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Purchased 5 electric chainsaws and I received the recall notice - The worst of the worst. I went to the store with the notice which I received telling me to stop using the chainsaws I purchased (and surely they could cut you because the manual switch does not work, the saw runs continuously until you pull the cord out of the outlet) and the store refused to exchange the product. They said, I do not understand. Why do you guys do this, if I know that the product I sold is defective and could cause damage because does not stop, then I will replace it right the way. Just wanted to ask you guys kindly to help with replacement because I do not want someone to cut himself with the chainsaw. Thank you for your understanding.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am very happy with this Earthquake XT 3/8 drive impact gun for the coupon price. It is my first cordless impact. I was skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised using it for the first time. It packs a nice punch for its size and I've tackled some rather nasty mid-size fasteners with it. The convenience of no air hose sold me right off the bat. The build quality seems really good and I plan to get a 1/2 drive model after seeing how this holds out.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Poor customer service. No IT department at all!!! If you want to get hassle and waste your time and temper, place order with this company and worse than that if you have any question or problem then forget it. You are going to get hard time for the rest of your day. Save your life and maybe pay a little more and buy from descent companies. Not this one!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

My most recent run in with Harbor Freight Tools started off like every other visit. I walked in and immediately try to find what I need amid a semi organized mass of stuff. After walking through the isles a few times I was down to my last item that I absolutely had to get assistance with because I just could not find it. I ask the young lady at the counter for the item and she walks me outside to the sidewalk sale... and wouldn't you know it... the item was NOT there. So she gets on the radio and asks for help from her co-worker. This is where it really got interesting. The lady on the other end was really not having a good day. The store was being remodeled and stuff was even more disorganized than usual.

The lady standing with me relayed to the lady on the radio that I needed an item that I saw on the website that should be in the store. After a few back and forth statements over the radio the lady on the other end shrieks "I don't have time for this!" Really?! You don't have time for this? Really? Isn't customer service the majority of what your job description reflects? She ultimately found the item, and there was more confusion as to size. That too was somewhat adventurous, but I should not criticize the fact that not everyone can process the fact that 3/4" is larger than 5/8". Not everyone is good at math.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I tried to return a unopened box containing a 14 inch electric chainsaw. I had the original receipt, and they also still were selling the same product in their store. It was over 90 days and they said the store policy is no returns after 90 days. They can always change store policy if they want to. It was never used and not even taken out of the box. And I still had the original receipt. I have taken back products to other stores and they at least gave me store credit when I had the original receipt. Poor customer service and I will never shop at Harbor Freight Tools again. If they would have given me store credit I would still be shopping at Harbor Freight, but not now.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Coupons - Mother's Day 25% off did NOT state it wasn't good on a Badland winch. Drove 40 miles to store (Springfield, IL) to be told it wasn't good on winches. Show me where they are listed in exclusions! They COULDN'T! Very poor business practices.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased many items in June 2017 totaling over $1400.00. Two of the items were a Bauer planer and a 12-inch sliding miter saw. On March 2018 (not even a yr) the planer had to be returned as defective (loud noise), since I purchased it in Oregon and now live in WA. I tried to exchange it and they said I needed to pay a sales tax on it. And I would need to purchase a new warranty, the 2nd warranty I purchased for $79.99 was used up by returning the product that was only 9 months old.

So now to have a warranty I have to spend another 80 bucks besides paying tax on a defective exchange and not a purchase. Unbelievable! Now it's April 2018 and the bearing in the saw went bad. 10 months old and now I have to use up 2 yr warranty I purchased for $39.99. And purchase a new warranty and pay tax on a defective exchange. Tim to contact legal or Consumer Affairs... done with Harbor Freight. Ps. Both sand have already scrapped out. And I have only built one wine rack, one wishing well planter, and 10 planter boxes. Such CRAP.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After making several calls, I am no closer to talking to someone than I was when I started. With an average wait time of 12 minutes, I have been hung up on, because they say they can't hear me, and I have used two different phones, have been hung up on without any response, and the one time I actually talked to a person, the call dropped. I have been trying to reach them for well over an hour. I need information on a replacement part for a tool.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Harbor Freight Tool Box Review [11 Drawer Roller Tool Cabinet (US General)]

Original review: March 25, 2018

Purchased a 10in sliding compound saw. Model #61971. Was using sliding compound saw to cut trim. Not sure what happened but while using this saw the blade guard caught the blade and flew off, taking out the laser guide with it. I looked at reviews only to find the plastics used in the blade guard are inferior. After comparing them higher name saws I realized this is very true. The Chicago Electric Guard is very flimsy and will shatter if contacted. Add note: I think I found out why the blade contacted blade guard. A bolt with a nylon lock nut had loosened up just a little causing the blade to shift ever so slightly allowing it just enough movement to catch the blade. Seems like a true safety hazard to have plastic getting thrown around.

Original review: March 14, 2018

When you buy from this company they ask for your phone number, name address, etc. On my most recent visit a store manager named Wayne was checking me out. I had my flyer with my name and address on it but he asked for my phone number. I have a poor memory disability and since I never call myself I couldn't remember it. He got belligerent and kept insulting me about my memory problem. I should have walked out but continued with the transaction. I later returned it as I was very upset and decided to never do business with Harbor Freight until this man is fired or moves on. Most of Harbor Freight's people are very polite and I enjoyed shopping there. No more.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I purchased a 2 Ton Hydraulic Engine Lift from Harbor Freight over 15 years ago and it had helped me pull numerous Engines from my vehicles without fail. Well my Hydraulic Pump on it finally gave up the ghost this weekend so I pulled the unit and headed to purchase a replacement. Harbor Freight had a replacement Pump for around $80.00. I checked with the manager to make sure I had the correct unit for my lift and he told me that it was indeed the correct part and that if I gave him my old unit, he would refund me $72.00! Well I now have an engine lift that works again and it only cost me around $8.00... You can't beat that after over 15 years! A lot of people think they sell junk tools, but I have had very good luck with all the tools I have purchased from them. I no longer spend $$$ buying Snap-On or Craftsman unless I need a specific tool. They will keep my business for good. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Annual in-store shopper at Harbour Freight Tools. As I had a relatively larger order, with big items, and Harbour Freight offers zero assistance in trucking or delivery services from in-store, the store employees suggested 1) Shop online; 2) Sign up for Insider Tracking Club for further discounts; 3) Shipping to freight forwarders was allowed with online orders ONCE it was to a USA address and not to a PO BOX address. Having done all as instructed, and I created my online account; which then took several phone calls to Customer Care, and a 48 hour wait to get account activated. Then order would not go through. Several days of trying, then I placed order over the phone. Only to be asked if that was a business address or a homeowner's address. Answer: A business address, it is my freight forwarder. HF Response: "Oh, we don't ship to freight forwarders. Only to homeowner's addresses."

After a very frustrating phone call, HF Response: "We only will ship to a freight forwarder IF it's going onto Canada or Australia." Beyond mind boggling. Requested a refund for my Insider Tracking Club fee (as it is of NO USE) - HF Response? "You would need to go back to the store you got it at." The reasoning, the lack of customer care, IS PATHETIC.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Received a letter from HF stating a tire recall was mandated by the National Traffic & Motor Vehicle Safety Act for the tires on my Haul Master trailer, tire 12" Innova. The letter states to go to your local HF store and the tires will be replaced. Called my local store in Melbourne, FL, was told they have gone through their tire stock for replacements and no idea when/if they will be securing additional inventory. Was offered a $30 gift card. Responded, "HF is mandated to replace the tires," told, "Sorry we are not able to."

Sent in a request to the HF customer service email address gained from their website. A few days later response was the tires are on backorder with no firm or estimated date as to when they would be received. I sent a response what was HF plan for trailer owners until the tires were received, a response was never received. This is not the level of customer service expected when tires are a critical component of a trailer, where a failure can be a major safety incident. The recall notice from HF is called: Trailer Recall - NHTSA Recall Number 17V-638 dated Nov. 24, 2017. The date is now Feb 17, 2018, HF has not provided a solution as yet.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

U.S. General® Pro 61427 30 in. 5 Drawer Glossy Red Tool Cart - None of the holes lined up to assemble. Had to redrill every hole. Short on bolts and nuts. Brackets for compression closer were welded on backward. No way to install them. Piece of junk... Took three hours only to find it will never close... Do not buy it. You will regret it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Harbor Freight, you have changed your protocol of using the 20% and 25% coupons to where we "CAN'T" use them on one product in your ads. We used to be able to do this, but now, your managers at your store locations will fight you tooth and nail trying to prove their point that this has "ALWAYS" been your policy. They get rude, get up in your face as though they would fight you right in front of other customers at the counter check-out.

I've seen customers walk out after seeing how I was treated and talked to trying to use a coupon, and I'm 65 years old. If your Managers don't have any respect for the elderly, then people begin to walk out. Others don't want to have to argue with a Manager who treats his customers like he is the "BOUNCER" in a bar. I have followed your sales solicitations in emails, and in your mail out catalogues. You lie to your customers about them being such a blow-out sales and they save so much percentage wise... but it's the same old prices you have all the time. There may be one or two items that are cheaper but most all are the same old prices. Only difference is, is that you have stopped your customers from being able to use the 20% coupons on one major item if it is one of the so-called sale items.

So your gimmick is simply to make you more money. Tell the unsuspecting customer you're having a blow-out sale, that they can save up to 75% or more on all items, and you have the 20 and 25% coupons in the add but you won't allow them to be used in the sale. Just a sales gimmick to get the unsuspecting customer to come in and buy.

I went to the Conroe, Texas store after it had been open a few months. The check-out clerk would not allow me to use the 20% coupon with an electric drill, said it was on sale but it was your normal everyday price. Then she called the Manager up front. He came up there like he was the bouncer in a bar, dressed like a Harley Biker, got right up in my face and in my personal space, hollered at me and called me a liar. You had about 15 customers standing in line at the 3 stations to check out. As they watched and listened to how I was being treated and talked to, not to mention physically threatened... you could see they wanted no part of the Biker Manager, and saw that they also would not be allowed to use the 20% discount coupons that they had in hand. They began to leave their baskets at the counter and walked out of the store. I told the Manager I would never come back in that store again. His reply was "Fine, leave."

I called the Corporate office and asked to speak to the District Manager over the Conroe, Texas store. They said he, Jeremy **, was on vacation. I then asked to speak to the Manager taking his place during his absence. She said it was Rob ** but she would not transfer me or give me his number to call him. She said she would send him an email and see "IF" he would step in and call me back.

Mr. ** did call me back a few days later after I called a second time and a third time for him. He listened to what I had to say about the treatment in the Conroe Store. He said to go to the Lufkin Store (closer to me) and he would called ahead and tell the Manager there to give me the discount. All I would need to do was to carry the receipt with me. I did as he instructed but when I got to the Lufkin store, no one knew about my situation, not even the Manager and he flat refused to do anything the District Manager said for him to do.

I then called the return number of Dist. Mngr. ** and put him on speaker phone in front of the Store Manager to allow him to hear that I was not lying. I asked Mr. ** why he didn't call this Store Manager like he said he would. He gave some excuse but then said, "I'll call him and tell him to do what I told you I would do over the phone." I said, "Here's the Manager standing right here, let me hand the phone to him and you can tell him now." I left the phone on speakerphone.

Mr. ** told the Store Mngr. to do as we had discussed on the drill and a multi-position ladder. The Manager hung up my phone and began to work on the cash register to make things right. I thanked him and left, but after getting about 10 miles down the road, I told my wife to look at the sales receipt and see if the Manager did everything right as per the District Manager. He did on the drill, but charged me full price on the ladder, even after the Dist. Mngr. instructed him too.

I turned around and went back to the store, asked the Manager why he refused to follow the instruction of the Dist. Mngr. He said, "He's not my Manager. My Manager is Jeremy **." I replied to him that Mr. ** is on vacation and Mr. ** is handling this in his stead. I asked him to call the District Manager back and tell him he refused to obey his instructions. What he did was call Dist. Mngr. Jeremy **. I asked him to put the call on speaker so I could hear and he did. Mr. ** ran me, the customer down and said NOT to do as Mr. ** had instructed. Then I asked the Store Manager to let me speak to Mr. ** and he handed me the phone. After our conversation, he agreed to tell the Store Manager to follow Mr. ** instructions.

This is all appalling treatment to your customers. I have bought a lot of high dollar tools from your store, but now I refuse to pay my hard earned money to a Store that would treat me like your Managers and District Managers have done. They've lied to me, insulted me, threatened bodily harm to me, harassed and embarrassed me in front of other customers, and charged me more than I was supposed to be charged. I have seen in the News where your organization has been sued for false advertising and pricing to your customers. You just don't seem to learn even after being taken to court.

In these two circumstances, I went through the lower process of calling your Corporate Office, making the District Manager aware of the threatening and wrongful treatment, trying to get this resolved at your local level. Only to have to call again and again, being lied to by District Managers, and humiliated by Store Managers, and them not following the directives of the Dist. Mngr. I will not use your local level complaint to handle things ever again. It will immediately be escalated to the Local Police Department and the Local News.

If I ever go back into one of your stores, I will have someone with me to video everything that is said and is done by your staff, especially if one of your Managers threatens bodily harm to me and gets up in my face invading my personal space. The local Police now call this a Terroristic Threat. I will immediately call the Police, file a complaint of threat and bodily harm, I will take the video to the local News and see if they want to put your Store on the 5 O'clock News. The publicity you get will hopefully do justice for the treatment you give to many of your loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've had several problems with Harbor Freight over the years but I've ignored the issues. Not now. Recently order item and requested "second day" shipping for an extra charge. Ordered on a Friday and it's Thursday and guess what, no item. When I called and confronted the customer service guy, he hung up when I advised him it was illegal in the State of Arizona to "Mislead customers into charging extra shipping fees and not delivering as promised." I also looked into classaction.com to start a group effort to take this company down for making a lot of money off shipping charges. If it's not going to be here on the "second day" because it takes them several days to process the order, then it needs to be called "3-4" day shipping so people are not given the false impression of faster delivery. Or at least refund the customer's extra postage. It amazes me companies ignore such complains and often end up in million dollar settlements.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

While Harbor Freight has been a cheaper solution for those unable to purchase expensive tooling, the quality has reached an all-time low for consumers. I wouldn't recommend purchasing even the basic tools from Harbor Freight; you will just be wasting your money. The products are of such low quality, that you'd be better off burning your money than spending it at Harbor Freight.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I purchased one of the big central pneumatic compressor. It's about a year and a month or 2 ago. I use it every 2 or 3 times a month. I had nothing but problems with it. I replaced the air safety valve twice, it's broke again and now the air pressure switch is bad. I keep the oil level where it is supposed to be, I drink the water after each use and check it before I use it. And now I have to have it rigged up to get the thing to even start up.

I called customer service 4 times over the past 6 months and each time I have to sit and be put on hold for 20 minutes before I get aggravated and hang up. I buy tools from them in the past year and a 1/2. I have spent a lot of money I norm that 1 of you their biggest customers but I probably dropped a $1000 there and it's the worst piece of junk I've ever seen in my life. And trying to get ahold of somebody at their customer service member to complain about it forget it you get somebody they say always as a product complaint or a store complaint and when you say product they switch you to a deadline that you sit for 20 minutes to get nothing. I was reading something from Harbor freight this is a buy quality tools they buy quality crap at this point I would rather pay 10 times the amount that have to do with any more of their stuff.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I had been a fan of this company due to its low prices. However after numerous issue with their power tools and air tools, I have to admit that I am done. The final straw came when I recently had purchased a $23 pin nail gun. After a single use it stopped working. I tried to swap it for a new one, but the manager refused because I couldn't find the receipt. He told me I should have purchased their warranty plan. Clearly they don't stand behind their product. Since then I have completely washed my hands off this company. I will happily spend the extra money at Home Depot or Lowe’s for a product that I know isn't going to break after one use. And if it does break, they will stand behind the product.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Attempted to return defective air compressor, met with nothing but hostility because I lost the receipt. Offered credit card, still gave me a hard time, got mad & told me what I could do with my compressor. Mgr & his wife/clerk were both 250 lb walruses with attitude to match.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information

www.harborfreight.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business