Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Harbor Freight Tools Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I purchased a 1 ton Arbor press new in store. Upon opening the box, I found a grease and grime covered press that was unwrapped and half assembled already. Hoping it would still be usable and was just returned after a single use, I attempted to finish the assembly only to find the ring screw was broken in half, the top missing altogether. I'll be calling them back and returning it today. I would swap it out for another one but the one other press there was in a box far more beat up than this one was. I'm less than hopeful.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I purchased the plumbing snake with the drill attachment. It dismantled in my hand while I was using it. The reel completely burnt off and the wire was all tangled up. It was completely destroyed before one use.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I purchased a carpet stretch tool (carpet kicker) from my local Harbor Freight store, along with other needed supplies. I hired a professional installer to install the carpet so I could sell the house. While using the kicker the tool malfunctioned causing the spikes to drop all the way down and dig into the subflooring, tearing the padding and a good sized hole in the brand new carpet. The installer told me I could have him remove the carpet and padding, replace it all back new at a cost of approx. $1,200 OR I could get another kicker, have him come back and cut a patch to try to hide the tore place at a cost of only $275. I chose the latter. I then contacted 3 different Harbor Freight stores trying to get information to submit a claim all with no luck. I then went online and after going through about 4 people was told I still didn't have the claims department but if I could submit all my info, pictures and receipts she would get it to the right department.

I did as instructed and was finally contacted back by Jason ** who said he was a claims specialist. Of course he had none of the previous items I had sent in so I once again had to resubmit everything. I patiently waited over 3 more weeks without contact and emailed this specialist back. He called me later that evening to inform me that after close examination of my pictures the supervisor noticed some of the prongs were bent and the manual clearly states you shouldn't use a defective tool lol. I explained to this specialist slowly so he would understand that indeed some of the spikes were bent, as a result of the tool malfunction, which is why I clearly took pictures to show that. He then informed me it could have been a result of "User Error".

I asked him if he had any idea what a carpet kicker is or how it's used. It's designed to place flat on the floor, grip the handle tightly as you kick it hard with your knee to stretch the carpet. There is no way possible for user error unless you would jump up & down on it. This had no effect whatsoever on him as he went on to tell me that they would offer a 50 % allowance towards MY expense created by THEIR defective tool. All this after I chose to have a much cheaper fix which still shows the repaired area. I told him to let the company know that I would let everyone know about my horrible experience with his company. He seemed to care less about anything I had to say and just moved right into telling me he would send me a release form to fill out so I could receive my $130+ check... Wow, I'd hate to lose that.

I told him that was fine however I wanted it mentioned on that release form that the reason Harbor Freight was only issuing me 1/2 of what their inferior product cost me was due to "User Error" on the release form. After speaking to a supervisor he came back to start telling me again about going ahead to send me a release form. I stopped him to ask him if it would have the reason stated on it and he said no. I told him not to send it then. I'm simply not that hard up to sell out to a pos company that cares less about its consumers. After this horrible experience I personally wouldn't recommended this company to anyone. Don't waste your time or money. It might cost a little more but go to a reputable company to conduct your business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Today is October 15th and went to return a couple things to Harbor Freight that I did not use. Turns out I didn't Need them. After waiting in one line for over 5 minutes because the other lady walking around it 1 to jump on a register which turned out to be demand you. By the way side note finally got to the register. Presented My return products and and my receipt and the card I purchased it on.

And then the person Christopher at the register Asked for a ID. Would I don't have because my wallet was stolen a few weeks ago. So I told them I have receipt. I have the card. Why don't understand. Why I can't return it. Can I speak to a manager and then the lay that was walking around turn out to be a manager. She walked up and with a smirk on her face she said, "We can't take Returns without ID". And I said that's That's I have the receipt. I have the card. She said to me that I did that may be stolen. I laughed. "Are you kidding me?" The kid at the register help me a few days ago when of purchasing this stuff of course he doesn't remember.

I felt so upset leaving that place. Words can't say it. Her name was Colleen. And she was totally unprofessional. Being the manager she should work out the issue with the customer Not portray him to be a thief. A thief with the receipt at that. Lol. Are you kidding me. Saw this is the type of service you guys provide your customers.

I have done shopping at Harbor Freight and so will my family. Soon as I Tell them about this experience so that equates to about 45 families so that's over 20 people that will now not be shopping a Harbor freight. So good job Harbor freight. Great policy. Your employees act like the dads run the joint meanwhile they Can be dropped at a drop of a hat. Terrible customer service. Terrible experience done with you guys. Sorry if you can follow my story. Oh by the way the Harbor free up talking about is the one located at Garfield in Auburn blvd Sac SA. And the person that bug me the most there is Colleen. Terrible terrible terrible Manager.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I have been shopping in the Harbor Freight Tools in Palm Coast since the store opened. First I have to say that I found out they were opened in Palm Coast because I just passed by the location. Everyone is good but my choice for the best are, The manager (Dessi) and his Sales Manager/Supervisor (Steve). I work with businesses providing consulting services and been in the same line since 1990. These two are the exact combination of talent needed for any business to succeed.

They are fun and very knowledgeable and Steven has an incredible hand on experience in (seems like) all tools and all construction trades. He has helped clients of mine understand how to save money to stock or just achieve success at anything DIY. This is my go-to store and will recommend it to everyone. Besides, they know where every single item is in the store, maintain the location super clean, bathrooms amazing and they are always on top of the organization. Thanks from my clients and from myself. Ralph

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I bought a Portland 9 Amp 14 in. Electric Chainsaw on 12/31/2018. I used it 3 times on small shrub branches about 1" thick. Then all of a sudden the blade stopped turning on the 3rd use but the motor still made noise. I turned it off to inspect it and when I plugged back, all of sudden the blade ran without touching the button. I got nervous and pulled the plug. I plugged it back and seemed to be working for 5 minutes. Then again did the same thing and intermittently turned on/off by itself. I got scared that it may chop off my arm.

I went to the store in Lake Forest, CA and explained about the danger and safety hazard and asked of the defective chainsaw and asked for exchange. I showed the manager how little it was used and less than 1 year old with 3 times of light use. The manager said even if is dangerously defective he cannot do anything about it. I mentioned this needs to be investigated as this saw may be fatal. He said he cannot exchange. I want my money back ($40.40). My ticket number is **.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Harbor Freight is quite frustrating. I have more or less stopped shopping there because of several reasons: First, you never know what you're getting. Tool quality varies wildly from one piece to the next. Some are stamped "Pittsburgh" or whatever and it's obvious where they came from so it makes it harder for them to deny warranty replacements. Others are laser etched or not marked at all and they will deny replacing it... especially frustrating is when the original was marked and the replacement is not and then it breaks, and you're out of luck. Second, items are discontinued or replaced on such a frequent basis that the thing you bought last week might not be available this week. Or, an item is sold out indefinitely and it makes getting a replacement impossible. Third, there is often one cashier open and it takes forever to get through the line. Other employees and managers mill around and don't acknowledge that there's 10 people standing in line.

Fourth, I believe, and this is simply my opinion based on reviews that I've submitted - negative reviews on their website rarely get published. I have submitted several positive ones on tools I liked that are visible to this day but very few of the negative ones ever show up and I followed their rules to a T. Thus, I must assume that they cherry pick reviews that make their products looks better than they really are. Fifth, the majority of their power tools I have used do NOT live up to their advertised specs and do not come anywhere close. This includes but is not limited to maximum torque ratings, battery life, air consumption, etc... yet, they get glowing reviews. In summary, I have found very little reason to shop at HF. Some of their best tools are really worth buying, but the bad vastly outweighs the good unfortunately. I will take my business elsewhere as there is not shortage of other options.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Operated hung up on me after waiting 40 minutes on the phone. I bought a pressure washer and the screws were missing to the handle. I figure they would ship out the screws to the handle, guess not. Told me to go buy them on my own or return unit to store. They said they would reimburse me, they don't cost much. The screws she meant. I said I thought that it was unacceptable. It's only four screws. So she hung up the phone on me and talked over me the whole time. I have never had problems with customer service at Harbour Freight before either at the store or over the phone on the 1888 number.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Ordered a 6.5 hp Predator engine last Sunday on their website. Today is Thursday. Checked out as a guest. Now I am unable to get order status other than "pending." Called to cancel order and have been on hold for over 30 minutes. I am writing this as I am on hold waiting for someone to pick up. Ridiculously crappy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Purchased a 63645 Effluent pump from Harbor Freight and requested from customer service that they provide me a performance curve needed so I could properly set a dosing time for my septic system. David from customer service responds that they don't provide scientific or proprietary information to customers. What?? I follow up indicating all pump manufacturers supply this critical info which is needed to properly size a pump for your needs. It has been over a month since my last email and HF has chosen to ignore my request.

The pump is also compared to a Zoeller pump on HF's site with a claim of being cheaper but in reality the HF pump has a ninety day warranty and the Zoeller has three years. If you purchase the HF warranty, you actually spend more. And Yes, Zoeller supplies a performance curve on their pump? I can only assume the performance is not good or they would share the data. If you need a pump for a critical situation - choose someone else.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information