Harbor Freight Tools

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered 2 set on 12-13-16. Called in on 12-19-16 to find out that they had not shipped. Asked for a refund. Was told it would be refunded to my account in 24-48 hours. Called back on 12-21-16 because we had not seen the refund. Was informed at this time the refund was done on 12-14-16 and the time was not up. Called back on 12-23-16 because we had not received the refund. At that time I was informed that it was not processed till 12-15-16 and the refund would not be till 12-27-16. I called them on 12-27-16 and found out that the refund still has not processed and they never even had the product in stock. Worst customer service ever.

I have shopped in Harbor Freight stores for years. I will no longer be shopping with them. I had a motorcycle lift ordered and shipped. Almost a month ago, I ordered it on 12/29 it said it shipped. Last Tuesday I got contacted by the shipping company to schedule delivery. Someone has to be present to accept delivery and 5 scheduled appointments later I still do not have my item.

Harbor Freight has not offered the help I need to get this delivered. I have to take time off from my business to handle it on the phone day after day. I have to have family members take time off from their businesses day after day since it's being delivered to my brother as it is his Christmas gift. This company offers absolutely no help and then isn't even willing to compensate me for my loss in time and wages by refunding my money. We are talking over a $1000 in loss of wages. I paid $279 dollars for an item and they said the best they can offer is 25% back. Absolutely ridiculous. They hired this company to ship it. They should be responsible.

I purchased a small electric generator a couple years ago and it needed a part replaced. H.F. had no parts. Got a new capacitor from Newark for $2.50. I purchased an air compressor and the pressure switch (which was poor quality) broke after a few months. H.F. had no parts. Got on internet and found exact part from China for $3.00. Now I have a $90 nail gun that is a year old. The teflon seals have deteriorated and as usual H.F. has no parts. Not likely I can fix this one. So, if you're going to buy a tool more complicated than a hammer expect that you can only get it fixed in 90 days. After that it is a paperweight. I take exception to the logo HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS Quality Tools at Ridiculously Low Prices. If you buy a tool, divide the cost by 90 days and ask if it is still a good price.

I have always been aware that one should never buy anything at Harbor Freight without it being "on sale". I needed a small compressor for my business startup and had regularly seen one "on sale" in circulars for $99. This weekend I received a "Limited Time Only - Friends and Family" discount coupon for 25% off of "any one item". I already knew the drill - today the same compressor was marked at $129, and imagine my surprise - 25% off of that brought the price down to $97. This time they refused to honor the coupon.

It happens that many years ago I was the Manufacturing Engineer responsible for making all Sears Craftsman power tools at The Singer Corporation in South Carolina. I was initially brought in to clean up a Federal Trade Commission lawsuit regarding their similar "pricing" issues. I like Harbor Freight, but I'm tired of this deceptive garbage. Just saw that a few class action suits have already been filed, currently examining some of those.

I purchased a 4" plate joiner a few months ago (probably 4-5 months) and didn't take it out of the box to use it until last Saturday. When I tried to use it I found that the levelling plate at the front of the tool was not attached on both sides. This is obviously a problem with manufacturing and quality control. I took it back to the store that I purchased it from, Wilmington, NC and spoke to the "acting" store manager. Unfortunately I didn't have my receipt, but, I thought that Keegan (store manager) would at least look at the problem before he made a decision.

I was told in no uncertain terms that it was my problem and that they would not replace it or even give a store credit. I then called the corporate office and was basically told the same thing. After purchasing many items over the years with Harbor Freight, with really no problems, this is the first time that I needed to return something with a poor manufacturing issue. Since they will not stand behind their products, I will not be purchasing anything else from them in the future. I would rather pay a little more for an item through another retailer that will stand behind their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

I bought the solid rubber tires at the Davenport Iowa store to replace flat tires on a hand truck. The steel hub on both sides of the wheel comes loose and can cause the wheel to fall halfway off the axle. Both wheels were the same. This is a dangerous product and should be recalled. The store would not exchange them or give me credit to buy a better model. They could see that they are of poor quality. They stick to their 90 days return policy without any regard to defective products.

Ordered motorcycle dolly. Received car wheel dolly! Called Harbor Freight. They re-shipped, and what I got is missing half the parts. Harbor Freight insists on getting their junk back before they'll resolve the problem. I have to waste my time and packing supplies to pack and ship back their crap, and this two times in a row, and they won't even ship what I ordered until I finish this work for them!!! I've been a loyal HF customer for years, spent thousands of dollars with them, and referred many friends to them. No more! Buy their junk at your own risk. You MIGHT get what you paid for SOME DAY, but it WILL COST YOU more than just the advertised price. I needed this thing before cold weather so I could get my motorcycle into my garage. HF SCREWED ME!!!

Yesterday, I spent over $80 to purchase an Earthquake pneumatic torque wrench, which was advertised by HF to be able to deliver 505 ft-lbs of bolt torque with an inlet air pressure of at least 90 psig. This morning the torque wrench did not produce enough torque to loosen a single lug nut in my garage. I checked the lug nut torque and verified that it was torqued to 100 ft-lbs. I made a 50 mile roundtrip back to the store today to have my money refunded. This is not my first time to have performance issues with pneumatic tools from Harbor Freight, but my past experience taught me to test the tool right away, because HF only warranties their tools for 90 days.

Went into the chambersburg, pa. Store. Purchased a 3 ton floor jack (Pittsburgh) on 6/23/16. Used it twice. Warranty ran out on sept. 23rd. I took it back to the store on Oct 3rd because it would not work. I was told this is my fault because I DID not buy the extended warranty. They would not stand behind it. They sell "junk". I will never purchase another thing from these idiots. I could say more about them. But I'LL just get really pissed off. This junk store needs to be closed. Shut the doors.

I drove 45 minutes to pick up a 70 amp welder and a large compressor. I called to be sure they had them. I stood in line and found out they had no compressor. But they had a whole wall of the expensive ones. Stood in line again, the clerk tells me that they were out of the welders also. They again had the more expensive ones. Customer service was horrible. Don't be up sales on CRAP tools. Let them choke on them.

Purchased an 8" combination buffer for a specific project. Unpacked the product. Plugged it in and it was so out of balance that it almost vibrated itself off the bench. Never ever even touched the stone or the buffing wheel with any material and the manager of the League City, TX. store refused to accept the return. Left the junk sitting on his counter. I was a long time customer, Inside Track member and I will never step foot in a Harbor Freight store again. Good riddance to you, your junk and rude employees.

I bought a new Predator 670 cc engine from Harbor Freight in December 2015. I also got the extended protection plan. In June 2016 had a carburetor problem with the motor. I called Harbor Freight. They gave me a return authorization number. I carried the engine back and got a replacement engine. After I got home and got the replacement engine out of the box I saw that it was damaged. I called the 1888 866 5797 number on the owner's manual. The lady that I spoke with ordered a replacement part. This was on June 14th 2016. Since then I've called on four different occasions. They said the parts should be in by August 31st 2016. No one can tell me where the part is or when it will be here. Today is September 13th 2016. Still haven't received my part. No one knows where it is.

Was in the Omaha, NE store to buy some car ramps. Did not see any in a box on the floor, tried finding an employee to check in the back. After 10 minutes someone finally comes by and was told "I'm on my lunch break and I don't get paid so I can't help you". She then walked out of the store making no attempt to get someone else to help. I walked out of the store and I will not buy anything from Harbor Freight again. Absolutely pathetic piss poor customer service.

I went to the store in Worcester, MA. When I got there I wanted to look at Union Floor Safe but it was in a box. They did NOT have one open to look at. I was told I could buy it and take home... And if I did not like it I could bring it back. I don't think so, I am 73 years old. I was not going carry out and if I don't like carry it back. I worked in Den Homes, the biggest and best store in Worcester and we put every thing out on display so you could see what you're getting. If I cannot see what I am buying I will NOT buy it... Too bad for Harbor Freight Tools in Worcester, MA.

Less than a year ago, I purchased a Chicago Electric 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw. Just recently, I had a problem where a piece of material jammed between the saw blade and the fence. Unfortunately, the fence was bent, which now makes it almost impossible to get clean angular cuts. I contacted Harbor Freight to find out where I could purchase replacement parts, so I could replace the fence. The response that I received: "Thank you for contacting Harbor Freight Tools.

Unfortunately, the parts you have requested are no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience." Less than a year after purchasing a product, I'm told that parts are no longer available. I don't believe that I've ever done business with a company that has such poor customer service.

My mother went to store $00042 here in Yuma, AZ to buy a trolley jack that someone messaged her the ad about. She went there with a photo of the ad for the jack $27.99. She talked to Joe (who she was told later was the manager) and showed him the picture of the ad, he said to her "this is from another city you need to go find the ad for here." After a long day she said ok and came home. When she got home and told me I grabbed my ads and found the same jack for $29.99 and offered to go get it for her, she said no she wanted to talk to Joe. Two hours later she returned to the store and saw Joe, he quickly passed her to another employee for help as he ran out of the store.

My 61 year old 110 lbs. mother was told she need to bring the jack to the register and the 20% coupon I gave her she can't use for jacks. She still needed the jack so she walks around the register and there is a stack of the same exact trolley jack with a big sign saying $27.99. OK now my mom is not too happy. The original employee/manager said she needed an ad, there was no coupon for this item just in the ad. So whoever this manager/employee named Joe at store $00042 made my mom run across town in 100+ degree weather to only return to see a stack with the same advertised price. We are Inside Track Club Members and they treated my mother like this. Pisses me off to no end. I go to your store often and always spend my hard earned money. I am a longtime shopper and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Went to Harbor Freight. Had a worker show me the Predator 212 engine, was told it would replace my 5hp Briggs engine on my rototiller. Brought the engine, took it home, took it out of the box only put it next to my old Briggs. Seen the bolt pattern was 3/4 out of place for it to work, put it back in the box exactly as it was, took it back to the store and was charged 24 dollars restocking fee. The sales slip clearly stated that you would be charged that if gas and oil was added and it never was. This is clearly a rip-off when as soon as you pay for an item you can't return it for a full refund, when all you did was open the box and look at it. Buyer beware.

I purchased a Chipper Shredder (Predator 212cc) from Harbor Freight. Once I put it together & got it working it worked for about 5 minutes & stalled out. I then started it up again & the same thing happened, but this time the engine seized and the cord could not be pulled. It took me 3 days of calling the tech support, customer service, etc. until I finally got a human on the phone. Luckily, I still had a couple of days left under the 90 day warranty, so I was told to take it back to the store & get a new replacement or refund.

I chose to get the refund, since the chipper worked for a total of 10 minutes & I did not want to risk the same thing happening again. The store manager had an attitude & I had to purchase a $10 siphon in order to remove the gas from the chipper, because they would not remove the gas for me to return the chipper. So I got an attitude, had to pay to remove my gas from their broken chipper & also lost the gas I originally purchased. Their customer service is terrible & I would never purchase anything of any significance from Harbor Freight again.

Harbor Freight has cheap prices on most items. But apparently because of this they are severely lacking in customer service. They are terrible at standing behind products they sell. And do not order anything from their site unless you are willing to wait almost two weeks to get it. They are very slow at shipping items out and then apparently ship the items on the backs of sloths to save money. And do not expect much help if you contact them about any of these issues as they will just send you back a cookie cutter response days later that is of no help at all.

Bottom line is if you are looking for cheap no matter what it cost you in good customer service, then this is the company for you. But if you want a good after sales experience then I suggest looking elsewhere. It may cost more elsewhere but at least you will have the piece of mind from dealing with a company who cares about customer service and is not only cheap with prices but cheap with service as well.

I order a put together boat trailer. I waited nine days to get it. When they bring it that lost half of it. Now they're giving me a run around about giving me my money back. The cost was 531.72. I'm thinking about during their asses off that have piss poor business. Never again.

Long-time customer. Horrible customer service experience with floor manager, condescending, defensive and combatant from 1 to 10. One being the worst I would give him a minus one. I will never recommend or buy from Harbor Freight Tools again.

Horrible place to shop. I have purchased a sub pump from 3 times every time pump goes out and warranty department is the worst in the industry.

Their warranty dept 844-416-9141 is awful... will have you waiting for, let's just say forever!!! Buyer beware.

I purchased some tools for my husband and saw their 8x10 greenhouse with the sample one made up. It looked solid and I had large greenhouse and needed a finishing greenhouse. The box came and the directions were terrible. I hired someone to install it. The greenhouse was so flimsy that the installer came back and had to reinforce it with screws. I had hard time closing the doors two days after installation. They made sure all four sides were level because I watched them put levels on each side. They trenched it in as instructed. The third day, I was working in the greenhouses and it was a little windy. I made sure and had it placed where it was surrounded by the large greenhouse, the trees, the house, etc. I walked in the house and looked out and the greenhouse was gone. The wind caught it just right and it went tumbling away.

First landed on my propane tank and then on my nectarine tree. I called the store I got it from and they told me to bring it in. I fought with them and finally got hold of someone else. Then it went to claims. They wanted me to bring in a crushed greenhouse with panels all over the acreage without cutting it apart. Insanity. They said I did not follow instructions. The instructions were almost impossible to follow, the quality was inferior. I could have gotten killed and their answer is "you shouldn't have put it up on windy day." I told them it wasn't windy when they put it up. Then they gave another excuse, after another. I lost thousands in plants and labor costs plus the cost of the greenhouse. I will not buy tools from there anymore. This should never have been sold.

Of course Harbor Freight Tools are made cheaply but that's why they're inexpensive. Definitely not for professional use. Some things have lasted 10 yrs, some not a day. I never minded buying something and it breaking because I hadn't had a problem in the past with replacement or refund. Then first time I dealt with upper management I came up short. I don't recall the details it being like 15 yrs ago, but I lost money. So after seeing how they're not customer friendly, the customer isn't always right and don't always follow their return policy I had to get cunning in order to feel better about broken tools/products that are no longer returnable.

So hey if something breaks and is no longer under warranty, no problem, I just go buy a new one, take it home carefully open it, put the old P.O.S. in the package like it's never been opened and then it's back to the store with my new receipt and it's time for a refund. I just feel bad for the poor customer that buys, let's say a battery charger, gets it home, opens it and it's a battery charger that looks nothing like the one on the box. I could imagine him trying to explain that at the return counter. So if it's happened to you I apologize but H. F. might have got me once but they'll never get me again.

My wife bought me a welding cart for my birthday. I put it together and found that it was missing the 4 reel supports. When I went back to the store the store manager gave me a 800 number to call. I called it, waiting 15minutes for someone to pick up, told them what I was missing. They put me on hold and within 5 minutes disconnected me. I called a second time only to find out those parts are not available. Customer service suggested I get the store to steal the parts out of an existing box in the store. This is NOT customer service!! I will be returning my cart and won't be buy anything that needs assembly from HF again!!

Known a handful of people that worked there and have myself. It's pretty much the Walmart of tool stores when it comes to how they treat their employees. They expect their workers to do the workload three people most of the time and just because sales are a little low now and then they cut workers hours as if we can live off making under $10 an hour working maybe 20 hours a week if you're lucky. The management is constantly playing favorites and is always hiring young pretty girls to be cashiers then telling the guys that work the backroom how much he'd like to bend the new cashier over. If you do or say anything that pisses the managers off you'll be lucky get over 10 hours a week for about a month.

Today my husband and myself drove 30 minutes to get to this store to get a few things and came across what we thought was an excellent deal. We were not sure if the voltage meter was tagged right so we immediately called over one of the associates to check the tag. He then said it wasn't the right tag but they would have to give it to us because they were there. He then said he needed to get the manager to override the price but when the manager came over he was very rude and didn't say anything except "we can't do that". I proceeded to say "I've worked retail 28 years and customer are always right. Where I work we take care of the customers especially if we mess up". He then took the product out of my hand and walked away with them. We put all the other product we were going to purchase back. We were so upset.

On February the 8th of 2016 me and my son were in our local Harbor Freight store shopping for tools. We were looking at the toolboxes located in the rear of the store where there were a few large tools located next to them on floor level shelves and my son was standing right next to me where there was a large jackhammer standing straight up. He proceeded to touch it and next thing I knew he was lying on the floor with it directly on top of him. I rushed to get it off of him and picked him up very hysterical and see that he already has a red eye and he is also complaining of his knee hurting. So I look over at where the tool was and saw there were straps there that was supposed to be holding the tool in place were never strapped to the tool.

I proceeded to find a manager concerned about my son and wanting to bring him to the emergency room to get checked out. The manager made me go to his office to fill out a incident report of what happened. I did as he asked. He told me to go ahead and take him and that someone from his company would be contacting me within 72 hrs. Well after an email and two phone call later I receive a call almost a month later from the claims department. Now I am stuck with a medical bill from this incident and still dealing with claims department. I don't understand the issues here. Something happens in one of their stores and not a care in the world from these people. Not one phone call or email in concern for my son and his wellbeing.

I am very disappointed in the way all this is being handled I will never shop at harbor freight again and will be getting as many others as I can not to. This all should have been taken care of that day of the incident. I should not be having to send emails, make several phone calls and be stuck with a medical bill because some idiot didn't perform their job correctly and properly secured a very heavy object that was obviously supposed to be secured for these reasons.

I purchased a generator from this store a few weeks back that doesn't work. I purchased it on credit card and have the charge with other items I bought on my statement. The problem is the girl rang up a different item for the same cost of the generator because she couldn't scan the barcode. Store manager could not look up and find receipt in system. Store manager Jeff is a lying moron and now I am stuck with a generator that doesn't work.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Profile