Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

263 Harbor Freight Tools Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have a homemade camper that I built myself over the last 3 years. And are still building... lol. So I want this camper to be completely self sufficient. I love to tinker with electronics, and I’ve built several generators for off grid use. That brings us to the Thunderbolt Solar line. Although a lower end product, they have paid for themselves. I currently run a 10 panel grid on the roof of the camper. Some old from the 3 panel series and some new, from the 4 panel series. Now I’ve come to realize that they are good battery maintainers but if the batteries are low, it takes days and days to come back, but it will charge them. I have 4 super start 90ah flooded marine deep cycle batteries. Again el cheapo start set. And it works.

Ok, last year I upgraded to the Jupiter 2000w inverter. I hooked it up with my normal battery cables, same size as vehicle. And it ran for about a month. Then one day I turned it on and poof! All 8-30a fuses blew at once and blue flames shot out the back. Wow! It originally took me over an hour to set it up the way I wanted it. But fellas, I gotta tell you what the flight of the bumble bee looks like unhooking that monster in seconds flat. I place kicked it out the door and into the street smoking like crazy. Ok that’s not a bad review, that’s my admittance to ignorance. (BUY THE #2 FAT CABLES FOR THE INVERTER!!!) It is well worth the 40.

I now run a 1000w Jupiter with those fat cables and what a difference! Smooth running/runs damn near everything/quietly. And while I’m on here, the solar panels get 10 gauge wire. Get rid of the resistance. Keep wires as short as possible. Don’t buy the warranty because you're going to change out the wires. Build a gang junction box. Poss. and neg. buss bars. With 1-10 gauge set of wires going to the controller. Use blocking diodes on every panel, then use a capacitor on the hub. It’s called the night club effect. Have the power waiting to come in. Backed up at the capacitor. Let it bottle neck.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I needed to return an item. I talked to Teresa the manager of Store #00109. I have talked to Managers in the past but none can compare to Teresa. She was very professional, told me my options and solved my problem with minimal time. She was courteous and showed the very best customer service. She should be given an award for her service whether time off, or something extra in her pay check. At any rate you should very proud to have her working for you. Her team was very helpful and their customer service was award winning too. Thanks again. A loyal customer forever.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at this location for at least 10+ years. Mill Street, San Bernardino, California. The people will react as nice as one treats them. Some other people could be rude. Jeff the Mgr. and his ladies are awesome and helped me on a return without blinking an eye. Certainly some tools might not be high end so do not complain if some do not work as well as others. For Pete's sake, a ten dollar grinder is not going to be like a $100.00 Dewalt. There are Ford Fiestas and Cadillacs. They are not of the same ilk.

Jeff took care of my little problem in such a speedy and friendly manner that I was blown over. The young ladies working there know me as a regular customer and treat me like family, so do the men. God bless these people. As far as the people that are a bit rude in other stores, perhaps they have problems and bring them to work. It is the people, not the store or store brand. Thank you Jeff and ladies.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Harbor Freight is quite frustrating. I have more or less stopped shopping there because of several reasons: First, you never know what you're getting. Tool quality varies wildly from one piece to the next. Some are stamped "Pittsburgh" or whatever and it's obvious where they came from so it makes it harder for them to deny warranty replacements. Others are laser etched or not marked at all and they will deny replacing it... especially frustrating is when the original was marked and the replacement is not and then it breaks, and you're out of luck. Second, items are discontinued or replaced on such a frequent basis that the thing you bought last week might not be available this week. Or, an item is sold out indefinitely and it makes getting a replacement impossible. Third, there is often one cashier open and it takes forever to get through the line. Other employees and managers mill around and don't acknowledge that there's 10 people standing in line.

Fourth, I believe, and this is simply my opinion based on reviews that I've submitted - negative reviews on their website rarely get published. I have submitted several positive ones on tools I liked that are visible to this day but very few of the negative ones ever show up and I followed their rules to a T. Thus, I must assume that they cherry pick reviews that make their products looks better than they really are. Fifth, the majority of their power tools I have used do NOT live up to their advertised specs and do not come anywhere close. This includes but is not limited to maximum torque ratings, battery life, air consumption, etc... yet, they get glowing reviews. In summary, I have found very little reason to shop at HF. Some of their best tools are really worth buying, but the bad vastly outweighs the good unfortunately. I will take my business elsewhere as there is not shortage of other options.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Operated hung up on me after waiting 40 minutes on the phone. I bought a pressure washer and the screws were missing to the handle. I figure they would ship out the screws to the handle, guess not. Told me to go buy them on my own or return unit to store. They said they would reimburse me, they don't cost much. The screws she meant. I said I thought that it was unacceptable. It's only four screws. So she hung up the phone on me and talked over me the whole time. I have never had problems with customer service at Harbour Freight before either at the store or over the phone on the 1888 number.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Ordered a 6.5 hp Predator engine last Sunday on their website. Today is Thursday. Checked out as a guest. Now I am unable to get order status other than "pending." Called to cancel order and have been on hold for over 30 minutes. I am writing this as I am on hold waiting for someone to pick up. Ridiculously crappy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Purchased a 63645 Effluent pump from Harbor Freight and requested from customer service that they provide me a performance curve needed so I could properly set a dosing time for my septic system. David from customer service responds that they don't provide scientific or proprietary information to customers. What?? I follow up indicating all pump manufacturers supply this critical info which is needed to properly size a pump for your needs. It has been over a month since my last email and HF has chosen to ignore my request.

The pump is also compared to a Zoeller pump on HF's site with a claim of being cheaper but in reality the HF pump has a ninety day warranty and the Zoeller has three years. If you purchase the HF warranty, you actually spend more. And Yes, Zoeller supplies a performance curve on their pump? I can only assume the performance is not good or they would share the data. If you need a pump for a critical situation - choose someone else.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I placed an order 7/15/19. I received partial order a week later, however the 2 shop lights I ordered did not arrive. I got no notice in the box, nor was I contacted by HB. After 2 weeks I called customer service, I was told that they stopped shipping 4 ft shop lights thru the mail. (I never would have known, if I had not called them) customer service told me that they would make a exception and ship them, and not charge for shipping. I asked them to cancel the order and Josh in customer service said he couldn’t do that. It’s been almost a month, I have not received the lights I paid for, I’ve not received any email or call. They have my merchandise and my money. I do not recommend this company, they have lost my trust.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I purchased a greenhouse last year, but accidentally broke a part while I was assembling it. As it was a part of the ceiling structure, I’m not able to complete assembly without it, and in the meantime, what is assembled is structurally weak and at risk even from moderate winds. Regardless, I understood it was my fault, and simply wanted the replacement.

Initially, HF was helpful, and the process to order the part was straightforward and expected. I ordered the part, was advised it would need to be manufactured in China, then shipped via boat to US, where it would enter Customs, then go to one of two HF warehouses. I would receive a written letter with payment instruction, complete the process, and would receive my part.

I placed the order in October 2018. I called for a status update in March, and was told that the part had been manufactured and was on board a ship, waiting to sail to US. I wasn’t too concerned, and was aware that China-US shipping relationships were and are probably stressed, so was no angry about any possible delay. I was told that it was expected to reach US Customs in May. I called in April for a status update, and was advised the ship was on its way, that my part was aboard, and it would leave Customs on time with ETA end of May. In June I called for a status update, and no one could find my part. In July I called for an update, and was told that my part had been accidentally shipped to an incorrect warehouse. Someone would grab it, get it to the correct warehouse, then get it to my local area (Seattle) where it would then be shipped to me. They told me they were waiving the cost of the part and shipping for me. Nice.

Now, I’m told that no one can find the part, and my only options are to either start the order process over (10-12 weeks which seems to read as “45 weeks” in Harbor Freight time) or they can initiate a “warehouse check.” I had been under the sad impression that whenever they were looking for my part, they were doing some version of a “warehouse check.” I had also been under the impression that any time someone was telling me the status of the part, they were able to do because the actual status of the actual part was actually tracked in some type of system that actually tracks such things. They did also offer me a $20 gift card for my time and trouble. That’s amazing.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I tried to return a Greenwood propane torch after one use four weeks a ago to my local store in Reading, PA. At that time I was notified that there had been a recall on the Item and that there were none in stock. The story was that they were in the warehouse and I could expect them back in the store the following Tuesday. Two consecutive Tuesdays & one telephone call later, they were "still in warehouse". So I called customer service waited for 17 minutes to be connected. According to Customer service rep after speaking with her supervisor, I was informed that the best way to get this item was to return the unit (4th store visit) and get a gift card, then to call customer service and they would ship to me direct without freight charges.

Wow, that seemed like a plan. So I got my gift card and called customer service (another 13 minutes on hold), only to be told that in fact the item as out of stock and on back order with no idea when I might expect shipment. I'm done with Harbor Freight. They say their customer are family, What a Joke! I intend to cash in my gift card and purchase my propane torch from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information