1.58/5

215 Harbor Freight Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I used to purchase a lot of tools from Harbor Freight Tools for both of my jobs. I don't think the quality is comparable to other tool manufacturers, but they are fairly close to me and I could return the tools for replacement. I have made more trips than I wanted for broken wrenches or power tools that have stopped working. However, what bothered me is the fact that I couldn't get a discount on a floor jack; even a measly 10%. I e-mailed customer service and received a response from Tony ** (District Manager) stating that their jacks are deeply discounted compared to Snap-On tools. Really... please don't advertise something that's not comparable. That's like comparing an old Ford Pinto to a Cadillac.

Moving forward, I will just order my tools online or go to Lowe's or something along those lines and get the same warranty without the false advertisement. In addition, I can easily get 10 to 20% off from other places. I have a lot of snap-on and Mac tools and there is no comparison. In addition, I bought one of those General Roll around utility tool carts and I damaged the lid. I called customer service to purchase another lid, but I was told I would have to purchase another cart? I asked about a deep discount since I have to buy a new cart; nothing more than their 20% coupon that they always offer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We've ordered a utility trailer twice. Been billed, told it was shipped. Got nothing. Called and then was told it was back ordered. Asked to have charges removed. Not removed so after two months, called back. Again, we were told it was shipped and they billed us again. Ditto on the experience. So - we've now been billed twice. Received nothing and have been sitting on hold for customer service for over an hour. O, and the product still is back ordered - even though it's highlighted in their recent catalog. Waste of time and pretty darn expensive, non-existent utility trailer.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at this location for at least 10+ years. Mill Street, San Bernardino, California. The people will react as nice as one treats them. Some other people could be rude. Jeff the Mgr. and his ladies are awesome and helped me on a return without blinking an eye. Certainly some tools might not be high end so do not complain if some do not work as well as others. For Pete's sake, a ten dollar grinder is not going to be like a $100.00 Dewalt. There are Ford Fiestas and Cadillacs. They are not of the same ilk.

Jeff took care of my little problem in such a speedy and friendly manner that I was blown over. The young ladies working there know me as a regular customer and treat me like family, so do the men. God bless these people. As far as the people that are a bit rude in other stores, perhaps they have problems and bring them to work. It is the people, not the store or store brand. Thank you Jeff and ladies.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I just purchased a Portland Electric Leaf blower mulcher, three in one unit at Harbor Freight an hour ago. I got home and opened my new leaf blower excited to clean the leaves from my patio and sidewalk. I snapped the parts together and plugged it into a 25 ft powered extension. I flipped the switch as was amazed at the power of the blower, but my excitement was short lived. After 3 seconds, it just stopped. I tried a different outlet checking the connections and checked the cutoff switch under the leaf trap in the bottom. It's just dead, junk hardware. I will return to Harbor Freight for a refund, and will never go back.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased an inexpensive air compressor for simple household jobs like filling bike tires, blowing out pipes, clean up, etc... I very seldom so on my second use I noticed the unit wouldn’t reach the 100 psi on the initial startup or when used. The manual said it should take 4 minutes. Mine was taking over 8 minutes and made using it difficult.

I returned the unit to Harbor to upgrade to a larger more powerful compressor and only wanted to apply my original purchase price to the much more expensive compressor I now had to buy. The compressor I was returning was in NEW condition as I’d really only used it once. Only because I didn’t have my original receipt The Harbor employee wouldn’t even discuss the matter and offered ZERO help. I believe Harbor Freight is a marketing company that sells CHEAP, INFERIOR PRODUCTS at competitive prices. I’ll never return and suggest you learn from my mistake!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The puller broke while using the tool to pull an automotive seal from a housing. Took the tool to the store on Craycroft and 22nd Street Tucson, AZ. Showed my receipt, which was more than 90 days. The manager named Pablo said the tool could be exchanged or refunded because the 90 days has passed. I called corporate 800 number and spoke to Jacob... Explained the story to him. I asked him if hand tools were with a lifetime guarantee as is a claim the company openly makes and his answer was, yes. Jacob looked up the product number that was on the box and said, the tool was not covered under the lifetime guarantee. I told him that if that was the case that I would not shop at Harbor Freight again... His reply was, "Fine you can keep the empty threat and have a nice day," and hung up on me.

Today I threw the tool in the trash and will never set foot in the store again... Next week I will purchase a welder, but it will not be the Vulcan I was going to by from Harbor Freight. I always knew the tools at Harbor Freight were cheap, but did not expect this reaction them. A few years ago I met the founder Allan Smidt at a wedding in Agoura California... Wonder what he would say today about this... if he were still alive... I told him how I love his stores and congratulated him on his lifetime of success. Never again will I honor Harbor Freight with a single purchase from tools that made in China... Screw and China and Harbor Freight! I only buy made in America from now on.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Right away, the customer service rep answered the phone with an attitude. I was inquiring about why we only received three items out of 9. The email we received said that they all shipped on the same date and only 3 items had tracking numbers. I was trying to find out when we would expect the remainder of the items. She asked me how the items were delivered and I said by truck. Didn't know she meant anything other than that. She came back on the line and asked again what carrier and I told her FedEx. She got ugly and said I just told her wrong. I then put my husband on the phone and she continued to have attitude and argued with him about ship date when he was looking at the email that they sent. He asked her name and she hung up. I'm calling back to speak with management and to ask for a refund. WE WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We ordered a magnetic roller on 9/02/2018. Took money from my account on 9/06/2018. Gave me a tracking # to FedEx. FedEx does not know where it is, so called Harbor Freight, She said FedEx don't give any tracking once USPS gets the item from FedEx then it will be able to be Tracked, Harbor freight tools is a ripoff, you call their 1800 number the recording sis (We treat our Customers like Family). Well I must be the Blacksheep of the family then. I would (NOT RECOMMEND HARBOR FREIGHT TO MY WORST ENEMY).

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

So I had a situation that most of us have which is you haven't returned and as much as I rate returns with root canals I had to do this one. But I have the unfortunate experience of having to use my American Express Bluebird card when I first purchased the items and returns on the American Express Bluebird take forever. When they say 3 to 5 business days they mean 5 business days minimum so upon my arrival on Thursday evening I make sure my items were in proper order and condition and I thought out the store manager on duty. The store managers on duty was named Cheyanne. I asked her if I could get the cash back rather than having to go back on my card and she immediately said, "No problem." She did ask the amount.

The amount was about $44 so I was definitely on the low end of returns and my expectations. She proceeded to tell me to go ahead and get in line and when that I arrived to have the cashier contactor. That took all of 3 minutes and soon I was out the door within 5 minutes. Perfect. There's a reason why you go to the same stores. There's a reason why you put up with some of the things that maybe you don't have to put up with that some of the other bigger stores. But I will never talk trash about Harbor Freight and the products that they supply. Well done Cheyanne and Harbor Freight team!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My model 65298 Harbor Freight, Chicago Electric, My Electric Reciprocating saw is total junk. The blade holder, the chuck, does not hold the blade in properly. I absolutely hate a piece of junk tool. I’m ready to throw this piece of junk into the trash can. Motor works just fine. The quick disconnect chuck is total junk. I wouldn’t even give this tool away. Cheaply Made in China. I’m now a retired weekend warrior. That said, it should be good enough for what I use it for. NOPE! TOTAL JUNK!

Original review: July 25, 2018

When I called a few years ago, they didn't even have a customer service and I corresponded by email FOR WEEKS and never got a resolution. This time I ordered a paint gun and they didn't have the one I wanted so they use a cheaper version if that's possible. Then I said I would get back to them so I called a couple hours later and a lady named Chanel said she canceled the order. Well lo and behold she didn't cancel it so it is being sent to my house. THE ONE I DIDN'T WANT. So now I have to deal with getting a refund. Do not ever do anything online with this company. I actually like their products because I don't do a lot of construction work but their customer service is the worst!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Attempted to use the HF 25%-off coupon. At the cash register was informed that the lock boxes are not eligible. Reason? "Don't know. You just find out when you check out what is eligible." This is unacceptable. Won't drive there again to see if their coupon is really valid.

Original review: July 15, 2018

As others have said, most items cheap and cheaply made. Customer service is non existent and nobody knows where anything is in the store. Try to buy a battery operated impact gun, and wouldn't you know it, they did have the batteries for it. Waited in line for ten minutes to find out they didn't have any in the back room. Won't be going back ever.

Original review: July 13, 2018

They sell cheap stuff. The price is cheap (especially if you use the coupons), and the quality is cheap. But what's really sad is that they hold back negative reviews. They have held back my negative and constructive reviews. So you can't trust the reviews.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! My husband lost a gift card there and immediately called to have it shut off and a card was to be sent out to him. However, days later we were told no card would be issued because there was only a 1.00 on it left. Their excuse was that it was holiday so what they said would not hold water because they could answer a phone on a holiday when they had a mega sale but they could not shut it off? Sounds like b.s. and bad customer service. Getting our money through our credit card dispute but never shopping here again. Their customer service people are downright nasty and they have NO customer service. Buyer beware at this company!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I tried foolishly to use a coupon at Harbor Freight Tools yesterday. Turns out, there are soooo many things the coupon doesn't work for, it renders it almost useless. 20% off, except: nearly everything of any value in the store. I couldn't find a single thing in the store that I wanted where the coupon applied. Just not worth the effort to try anymore.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Dont bother trying to call HF customer service. Reps only read from scripts and have ZERO common sense. When asked a question not part of the script they hang up. Happened 3x in a row. Deal with reputable companies only, not fly by night RIP offs.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Purchased 5 electric chainsaws and I received the recall notice - The worst of the worst. I went to the store with the notice which I received telling me to stop using the chainsaws I purchased (and surely they could cut you because the manual switch does not work, the saw runs continuously until you pull the cord out of the outlet) and the store refused to exchange the product. They said, I do not understand. Why do you guys do this, if I know that the product I sold is defective and could cause damage because does not stop, then I will replace it right the way. Just wanted to ask you guys kindly to help with replacement because I do not want someone to cut himself with the chainsaw. Thank you for your understanding.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am very happy with this Earthquake XT 3/8 drive impact gun for the coupon price. It is my first cordless impact. I was skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised using it for the first time. It packs a nice punch for its size and I've tackled some rather nasty mid-size fasteners with it. The convenience of no air hose sold me right off the bat. The build quality seems really good and I plan to get a 1/2 drive model after seeing how this holds out.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Poor customer service. No IT department at all!!! If you want to get hassle and waste your time and temper, place order with this company and worse than that if you have any question or problem then forget it. You are going to get hard time for the rest of your day. Save your life and maybe pay a little more and buy from descent companies. Not this one!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

My most recent run in with Harbor Freight Tools started off like every other visit. I walked in and immediately try to find what I need amid a semi organized mass of stuff. After walking through the isles a few times I was down to my last item that I absolutely had to get assistance with because I just could not find it. I ask the young lady at the counter for the item and she walks me outside to the sidewalk sale... and wouldn't you know it... the item was NOT there. So she gets on the radio and asks for help from her co-worker. This is where it really got interesting. The lady on the other end was really not having a good day. The store was being remodeled and stuff was even more disorganized than usual.

The lady standing with me relayed to the lady on the radio that I needed an item that I saw on the website that should be in the store. After a few back and forth statements over the radio the lady on the other end shrieks "I don't have time for this!" Really?! You don't have time for this? Really? Isn't customer service the majority of what your job description reflects? She ultimately found the item, and there was more confusion as to size. That too was somewhat adventurous, but I should not criticize the fact that not everyone can process the fact that 3/4" is larger than 5/8". Not everyone is good at math.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I tried to return a unopened box containing a 14 inch electric chainsaw. I had the original receipt, and they also still were selling the same product in their store. It was over 90 days and they said the store policy is no returns after 90 days. They can always change store policy if they want to. It was never used and not even taken out of the box. And I still had the original receipt. I have taken back products to other stores and they at least gave me store credit when I had the original receipt. Poor customer service and I will never shop at Harbor Freight Tools again. If they would have given me store credit I would still be shopping at Harbor Freight, but not now.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Coupons - Mother's Day 25% off did NOT state it wasn't good on a Badland winch. Drove 40 miles to store (Springfield, IL) to be told it wasn't good on winches. Show me where they are listed in exclusions! They COULDN'T! Very poor business practices.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased many items in June 2017 totaling over $1400.00. Two of the items were a Bauer planer and a 12-inch sliding miter saw. On March 2018 (not even a yr) the planer had to be returned as defective (loud noise), since I purchased it in Oregon and now live in WA. I tried to exchange it and they said I needed to pay a sales tax on it. And I would need to purchase a new warranty, the 2nd warranty I purchased for $79.99 was used up by returning the product that was only 9 months old.

So now to have a warranty I have to spend another 80 bucks besides paying tax on a defective exchange and not a purchase. Unbelievable! Now it's April 2018 and the bearing in the saw went bad. 10 months old and now I have to use up 2 yr warranty I purchased for $39.99. And purchase a new warranty and pay tax on a defective exchange. Tim to contact legal or Consumer Affairs... done with Harbor Freight. Ps. Both sand have already scrapped out. And I have only built one wine rack, one wishing well planter, and 10 planter boxes. Such CRAP.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After making several calls, I am no closer to talking to someone than I was when I started. With an average wait time of 12 minutes, I have been hung up on, because they say they can't hear me, and I have used two different phones, have been hung up on without any response, and the one time I actually talked to a person, the call dropped. I have been trying to reach them for well over an hour. I need information on a replacement part for a tool.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Harbor Freight Tool Box Review [11 Drawer Roller Tool Cabinet (US General)]

Original review: March 25, 2018

Purchased a 10in sliding compound saw. Model #61971. Was using sliding compound saw to cut trim. Not sure what happened but while using this saw the blade guard caught the blade and flew off, taking out the laser guide with it. I looked at reviews only to find the plastics used in the blade guard are inferior. After comparing them higher name saws I realized this is very true. The Chicago Electric Guard is very flimsy and will shatter if contacted. Add note: I think I found out why the blade contacted blade guard. A bolt with a nylon lock nut had loosened up just a little causing the blade to shift ever so slightly allowing it just enough movement to catch the blade. Seems like a true safety hazard to have plastic getting thrown around.

Original review: March 14, 2018

When you buy from this company they ask for your phone number, name address, etc. On my most recent visit a store manager named Wayne was checking me out. I had my flyer with my name and address on it but he asked for my phone number. I have a poor memory disability and since I never call myself I couldn't remember it. He got belligerent and kept insulting me about my memory problem. I should have walked out but continued with the transaction. I later returned it as I was very upset and decided to never do business with Harbor Freight until this man is fired or moves on. Most of Harbor Freight's people are very polite and I enjoyed shopping there. No more.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I purchased a 2 Ton Hydraulic Engine Lift from Harbor Freight over 15 years ago and it had helped me pull numerous Engines from my vehicles without fail. Well my Hydraulic Pump on it finally gave up the ghost this weekend so I pulled the unit and headed to purchase a replacement. Harbor Freight had a replacement Pump for around $80.00. I checked with the manager to make sure I had the correct unit for my lift and he told me that it was indeed the correct part and that if I gave him my old unit, he would refund me $72.00! Well I now have an engine lift that works again and it only cost me around $8.00... You can't beat that after over 15 years! A lot of people think they sell junk tools, but I have had very good luck with all the tools I have purchased from them. I no longer spend $$$ buying Snap-On or Craftsman unless I need a specific tool. They will keep my business for good. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Annual in-store shopper at Harbour Freight Tools. As I had a relatively larger order, with big items, and Harbour Freight offers zero assistance in trucking or delivery services from in-store, the store employees suggested 1) Shop online; 2) Sign up for Insider Tracking Club for further discounts; 3) Shipping to freight forwarders was allowed with online orders ONCE it was to a USA address and not to a PO BOX address. Having done all as instructed, and I created my online account; which then took several phone calls to Customer Care, and a 48 hour wait to get account activated. Then order would not go through. Several days of trying, then I placed order over the phone. Only to be asked if that was a business address or a homeowner's address. Answer: A business address, it is my freight forwarder. HF Response: "Oh, we don't ship to freight forwarders. Only to homeowner's addresses."

After a very frustrating phone call, HF Response: "We only will ship to a freight forwarder IF it's going onto Canada or Australia." Beyond mind boggling. Requested a refund for my Insider Tracking Club fee (as it is of NO USE) - HF Response? "You would need to go back to the store you got it at." The reasoning, the lack of customer care, IS PATHETIC.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information