Harbor Freight Tools

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The problem is not so much about the products as it is that the Parts for Chicago Electric 12" Compound Miter Saw I was trying to get they don't offer "ANY" replacement part. I was told if I had brought a warranty for it they would replace the whole thing or repair it. The part is the Fence Extension and would take about 5 minutes to replace. They had no answer why they did not offer these replacement parts. Then they said maybe try Ebay or Amazon to see if they had it. I asked if they know that these parts were on there. The person said no, but sometimes people sell off parts of broken equipment. This will make me stay away from Harbor Freight power tools.

What I am about to write is true - never wrote one of these before. Store is in Salem, NH. I bought the handheld camera that lets you view inside small holes, etc. for $160. Came home... Started it up (after charging)... And it wouldn't turn on. Go back the next day, replace it with a new one. Come home. Put it on the charger, and it started up! But then I disconnected it from the charger and it would shut off... So again. Another broken camera. Go back the next day. Gave up hope on the cameras so I returned it for store credit (which they refused to put back on my original credit card) and I bought one of those propane heaters. Came home. Turned it on. And only 1 of 2 burners would hold a light. Just to recap. I bought 3 somewhat high dollars items from this store in a matter of a week and all 3 of them were broken.

I realized... All the boxes I purchased looked like they have been opened before. Meaning, I nearly confident this Harbor Freight just puts broken ** back on the shelves hoping people buy it and don't bother returning it. Why wouldn't people return something broken? Oh perhaps because they have 1 person checking out 20-30 people at a time w/ massive lines.

I began with really enjoying the vast inventory this place provides and the ease of access even though they tend to be located out of major cities in cheaper rent areas. My experience then went downhill when I accidentally broke a around $11 "air filter inlet assembly" on my Central Pneumatic air compressor that is exclusively sold by Harbor Freight Tools. The headquarters told me this piece would take 12 weeks to order since it comes from China and there is no other way of ordering it. They even recommended I bring the product back in and fully exchange it since the product would be so complicated to get. Taking this advice I called 5 Locations near Northern Virginia even places around two hours away. None of the stores had the product in stock. I had only had this product for two weeks and the four weeks before that none of these stores had the products.

The supply chain and set up of the whole operation is so bad the managers don't know what is on the "truck" being shipped to them and have no clue as to what inventory they have as well as do not have any way of ordering or handling customer needs. In the past month I have referred many customers to them and now I feel stupid for spending thousands and referring those people to them since they cannot handle customers' needs, frustrations, and complaints. The compressor is needed to run my business and I am now down one truck and a lot of money due to this issue. Some of the employees were understanding of my issue, however some seemed to not care at all.

I am at the point where I really want to return everything and just get justice for my lost fuel driving big trucks back and forth to hear that the "truck" that no one knows what inventory is on board didn't feel like delivering what customers need in order to operate a business and feed their families. Something needs to be done to help consumers purchasing products from Harbor Freight Tools. The company charges restocking fees and scams consumers that are already frustrated into more money out of pocket.

It seems that when I visit the store it usually happens around lunch hour or after 4 during the week and sometimes on the weekend… it never fails to see about 10 to 15 customers in line waiting to check out with one cashier working. Like today around 11:30 EST am 10 customers with one cashier. I left the store. A change in managers would help. It seems the paying people standing in line take a back seat to getting checked out in a reasonable time. And it does not do any good to complain.

I ordered 2 set on 12-13-16. Called in on 12-19-16 to find out that they had not shipped. Asked for a refund. Was told it would be refunded to my account in 24-48 hours. Called back on 12-21-16 because we had not seen the refund. Was informed at this time the refund was done on 12-14-16 and the time was not up. Called back on 12-23-16 because we had not received the refund. At that time I was informed that it was not processed till 12-15-16 and the refund would not be till 12-27-16. I called them on 12-27-16 and found out that the refund still has not processed and they never even had the product in stock. Worst customer service ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

I have shopped in Harbor Freight stores for years. I will no longer be shopping with them. I had a motorcycle lift ordered and shipped. Almost a month ago, I ordered it on 12/29 it said it shipped. Last Tuesday I got contacted by the shipping company to schedule delivery. Someone has to be present to accept delivery and 5 scheduled appointments later I still do not have my item.

Harbor Freight has not offered the help I need to get this delivered. I have to take time off from my business to handle it on the phone day after day. I have to have family members take time off from their businesses day after day since it's being delivered to my brother as it is his Christmas gift. This company offers absolutely no help and then isn't even willing to compensate me for my loss in time and wages by refunding my money. We are talking over a $1000 in loss of wages. I paid $279 dollars for an item and they said the best they can offer is 25% back. Absolutely ridiculous. They hired this company to ship it. They should be responsible.

I purchased a small electric generator a couple years ago and it needed a part replaced. H.F. had no parts. Got a new capacitor from Newark for $2.50. I purchased an air compressor and the pressure switch (which was poor quality) broke after a few months. H.F. had no parts. Got on internet and found exact part from China for $3.00. Now I have a $90 nail gun that is a year old. The teflon seals have deteriorated and as usual H.F. has no parts. Not likely I can fix this one. So, if you're going to buy a tool more complicated than a hammer expect that you can only get it fixed in 90 days. After that it is a paperweight. I take exception to the logo HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS Quality Tools at Ridiculously Low Prices. If you buy a tool, divide the cost by 90 days and ask if it is still a good price.

I have always been aware that one should never buy anything at Harbor Freight without it being "on sale". I needed a small compressor for my business startup and had regularly seen one "on sale" in circulars for $99. This weekend I received a "Limited Time Only - Friends and Family" discount coupon for 25% off of "any one item". I already knew the drill - today the same compressor was marked at $129, and imagine my surprise - 25% off of that brought the price down to $97. This time they refused to honor the coupon.

It happens that many years ago I was the Manufacturing Engineer responsible for making all Sears Craftsman power tools at The Singer Corporation in South Carolina. I was initially brought in to clean up a Federal Trade Commission lawsuit regarding their similar "pricing" issues. I like Harbor Freight, but I'm tired of this deceptive garbage. Just saw that a few class action suits have already been filed, currently examining some of those.

I purchased a 4" plate joiner a few months ago (probably 4-5 months) and didn't take it out of the box to use it until last Saturday. When I tried to use it I found that the levelling plate at the front of the tool was not attached on both sides. This is obviously a problem with manufacturing and quality control. I took it back to the store that I purchased it from, Wilmington, NC and spoke to the "acting" store manager. Unfortunately I didn't have my receipt, but, I thought that Keegan (store manager) would at least look at the problem before he made a decision.

I was told in no uncertain terms that it was my problem and that they would not replace it or even give a store credit. I then called the corporate office and was basically told the same thing. After purchasing many items over the years with Harbor Freight, with really no problems, this is the first time that I needed to return something with a poor manufacturing issue. Since they will not stand behind their products, I will not be purchasing anything else from them in the future. I would rather pay a little more for an item through another retailer that will stand behind their products.

I bought the solid rubber tires at the Davenport Iowa store to replace flat tires on a hand truck. The steel hub on both sides of the wheel comes loose and can cause the wheel to fall halfway off the axle. Both wheels were the same. This is a dangerous product and should be recalled. The store would not exchange them or give me credit to buy a better model. They could see that they are of poor quality. They stick to their 90 days return policy without any regard to defective products.

Ordered motorcycle dolly. Received car wheel dolly! Called Harbor Freight. They re-shipped, and what I got is missing half the parts. Harbor Freight insists on getting their junk back before they'll resolve the problem. I have to waste my time and packing supplies to pack and ship back their crap, and this two times in a row, and they won't even ship what I ordered until I finish this work for them!!! I've been a loyal HF customer for years, spent thousands of dollars with them, and referred many friends to them. No more! Buy their junk at your own risk. You MIGHT get what you paid for SOME DAY, but it WILL COST YOU more than just the advertised price. I needed this thing before cold weather so I could get my motorcycle into my garage. HF SCREWED ME!!!

Yesterday, I spent over $80 to purchase an Earthquake pneumatic torque wrench, which was advertised by HF to be able to deliver 505 ft-lbs of bolt torque with an inlet air pressure of at least 90 psig. This morning the torque wrench did not produce enough torque to loosen a single lug nut in my garage. I checked the lug nut torque and verified that it was torqued to 100 ft-lbs. I made a 50 mile roundtrip back to the store today to have my money refunded. This is not my first time to have performance issues with pneumatic tools from Harbor Freight, but my past experience taught me to test the tool right away, because HF only warranties their tools for 90 days.

Went into the chambersburg, pa. Store. Purchased a 3 ton floor jack (Pittsburgh) on 6/23/16. Used it twice. Warranty ran out on sept. 23rd. I took it back to the store on Oct 3rd because it would not work. I was told this is my fault because I DID not buy the extended warranty. They would not stand behind it. They sell "junk". I will never purchase another thing from these idiots. I could say more about them. But I'LL just get really pissed off. This junk store needs to be closed. Shut the doors.

I drove 45 minutes to pick up a 70 amp welder and a large compressor. I called to be sure they had them. I stood in line and found out they had no compressor. But they had a whole wall of the expensive ones. Stood in line again, the clerk tells me that they were out of the welders also. They again had the more expensive ones. Customer service was horrible. Don't be up sales on CRAP tools. Let them choke on them.

Purchased an 8" combination buffer for a specific project. Unpacked the product. Plugged it in and it was so out of balance that it almost vibrated itself off the bench. Never ever even touched the stone or the buffing wheel with any material and the manager of the League City, TX. store refused to accept the return. Left the junk sitting on his counter. I was a long time customer, Inside Track member and I will never step foot in a Harbor Freight store again. Good riddance to you, your junk and rude employees.

I bought a new Predator 670 cc engine from Harbor Freight in December 2015. I also got the extended protection plan. In June 2016 had a carburetor problem with the motor. I called Harbor Freight. They gave me a return authorization number. I carried the engine back and got a replacement engine. After I got home and got the replacement engine out of the box I saw that it was damaged. I called the 1888 866 5797 number on the owner's manual. The lady that I spoke with ordered a replacement part. This was on June 14th 2016. Since then I've called on four different occasions. They said the parts should be in by August 31st 2016. No one can tell me where the part is or when it will be here. Today is September 13th 2016. Still haven't received my part. No one knows where it is.

Was in the Omaha, NE store to buy some car ramps. Did not see any in a box on the floor, tried finding an employee to check in the back. After 10 minutes someone finally comes by and was told "I'm on my lunch break and I don't get paid so I can't help you". She then walked out of the store making no attempt to get someone else to help. I walked out of the store and I will not buy anything from Harbor Freight again. Absolutely pathetic piss poor customer service.

I went to the store in Worcester, MA. When I got there I wanted to look at Union Floor Safe but it was in a box. They did NOT have one open to look at. I was told I could buy it and take home... And if I did not like it I could bring it back. I don't think so, I am 73 years old. I was not going carry out and if I don't like carry it back. I worked in Den Homes, the biggest and best store in Worcester and we put every thing out on display so you could see what you're getting. If I cannot see what I am buying I will NOT buy it... Too bad for Harbor Freight Tools in Worcester, MA.

Less than a year ago, I purchased a Chicago Electric 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw. Just recently, I had a problem where a piece of material jammed between the saw blade and the fence. Unfortunately, the fence was bent, which now makes it almost impossible to get clean angular cuts. I contacted Harbor Freight to find out where I could purchase replacement parts, so I could replace the fence. The response that I received: "Thank you for contacting Harbor Freight Tools.

Unfortunately, the parts you have requested are no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience." Less than a year after purchasing a product, I'm told that parts are no longer available. I don't believe that I've ever done business with a company that has such poor customer service.

My mother went to store $00042 here in Yuma, AZ to buy a trolley jack that someone messaged her the ad about. She went there with a photo of the ad for the jack $27.99. She talked to Joe (who she was told later was the manager) and showed him the picture of the ad, he said to her "this is from another city you need to go find the ad for here." After a long day she said ok and came home. When she got home and told me I grabbed my ads and found the same jack for $29.99 and offered to go get it for her, she said no she wanted to talk to Joe. Two hours later she returned to the store and saw Joe, he quickly passed her to another employee for help as he ran out of the store.

My 61 year old 110 lbs. mother was told she need to bring the jack to the register and the 20% coupon I gave her she can't use for jacks. She still needed the jack so she walks around the register and there is a stack of the same exact trolley jack with a big sign saying $27.99. OK now my mom is not too happy. The original employee/manager said she needed an ad, there was no coupon for this item just in the ad. So whoever this manager/employee named Joe at store $00042 made my mom run across town in 100+ degree weather to only return to see a stack with the same advertised price. We are Inside Track Club Members and they treated my mother like this. Pisses me off to no end. I go to your store often and always spend my hard earned money. I am a longtime shopper and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Went to Harbor Freight. Had a worker show me the Predator 212 engine, was told it would replace my 5hp Briggs engine on my rototiller. Brought the engine, took it home, took it out of the box only put it next to my old Briggs. Seen the bolt pattern was 3/4 out of place for it to work, put it back in the box exactly as it was, took it back to the store and was charged 24 dollars restocking fee. The sales slip clearly stated that you would be charged that if gas and oil was added and it never was. This is clearly a rip-off when as soon as you pay for an item you can't return it for a full refund, when all you did was open the box and look at it. Buyer beware.

I purchased a Chipper Shredder (Predator 212cc) from Harbor Freight. Once I put it together & got it working it worked for about 5 minutes & stalled out. I then started it up again & the same thing happened, but this time the engine seized and the cord could not be pulled. It took me 3 days of calling the tech support, customer service, etc. until I finally got a human on the phone. Luckily, I still had a couple of days left under the 90 day warranty, so I was told to take it back to the store & get a new replacement or refund.

I chose to get the refund, since the chipper worked for a total of 10 minutes & I did not want to risk the same thing happening again. The store manager had an attitude & I had to purchase a $10 siphon in order to remove the gas from the chipper, because they would not remove the gas for me to return the chipper. So I got an attitude, had to pay to remove my gas from their broken chipper & also lost the gas I originally purchased. Their customer service is terrible & I would never purchase anything of any significance from Harbor Freight again.

Harbor Freight has cheap prices on most items. But apparently because of this they are severely lacking in customer service. They are terrible at standing behind products they sell. And do not order anything from their site unless you are willing to wait almost two weeks to get it. They are very slow at shipping items out and then apparently ship the items on the backs of sloths to save money. And do not expect much help if you contact them about any of these issues as they will just send you back a cookie cutter response days later that is of no help at all.

Bottom line is if you are looking for cheap no matter what it cost you in good customer service, then this is the company for you. But if you want a good after sales experience then I suggest looking elsewhere. It may cost more elsewhere but at least you will have the piece of mind from dealing with a company who cares about customer service and is not only cheap with prices but cheap with service as well.

I order a put together boat trailer. I waited nine days to get it. When they bring it that lost half of it. Now they're giving me a run around about giving me my money back. The cost was 531.72. I'm thinking about during their asses off that have piss poor business. Never again.

Long-time customer. Horrible customer service experience with floor manager, condescending, defensive and combatant from 1 to 10. One being the worst I would give him a minus one. I will never recommend or buy from Harbor Freight Tools again.

Horrible place to shop. I have purchased a sub pump from 3 times every time pump goes out and warranty department is the worst in the industry.

Their warranty dept 844-416-9141 is awful... will have you waiting for, let's just say forever!!! Buyer beware.

I purchased some tools for my husband and saw their 8x10 greenhouse with the sample one made up. It looked solid and I had large greenhouse and needed a finishing greenhouse. The box came and the directions were terrible. I hired someone to install it. The greenhouse was so flimsy that the installer came back and had to reinforce it with screws. I had hard time closing the doors two days after installation. They made sure all four sides were level because I watched them put levels on each side. They trenched it in as instructed. The third day, I was working in the greenhouses and it was a little windy. I made sure and had it placed where it was surrounded by the large greenhouse, the trees, the house, etc. I walked in the house and looked out and the greenhouse was gone. The wind caught it just right and it went tumbling away.

First landed on my propane tank and then on my nectarine tree. I called the store I got it from and they told me to bring it in. I fought with them and finally got hold of someone else. Then it went to claims. They wanted me to bring in a crushed greenhouse with panels all over the acreage without cutting it apart. Insanity. They said I did not follow instructions. The instructions were almost impossible to follow, the quality was inferior. I could have gotten killed and their answer is "you shouldn't have put it up on windy day." I told them it wasn't windy when they put it up. Then they gave another excuse, after another. I lost thousands in plants and labor costs plus the cost of the greenhouse. I will not buy tools from there anymore. This should never have been sold.

Of course Harbor Freight Tools are made cheaply but that's why they're inexpensive. Definitely not for professional use. Some things have lasted 10 yrs, some not a day. I never minded buying something and it breaking because I hadn't had a problem in the past with replacement or refund. Then first time I dealt with upper management I came up short. I don't recall the details it being like 15 yrs ago, but I lost money. So after seeing how they're not customer friendly, the customer isn't always right and don't always follow their return policy I had to get cunning in order to feel better about broken tools/products that are no longer returnable.

So hey if something breaks and is no longer under warranty, no problem, I just go buy a new one, take it home carefully open it, put the old P.O.S. in the package like it's never been opened and then it's back to the store with my new receipt and it's time for a refund. I just feel bad for the poor customer that buys, let's say a battery charger, gets it home, opens it and it's a battery charger that looks nothing like the one on the box. I could imagine him trying to explain that at the return counter. So if it's happened to you I apologize but H. F. might have got me once but they'll never get me again.

My wife bought me a welding cart for my birthday. I put it together and found that it was missing the 4 reel supports. When I went back to the store the store manager gave me a 800 number to call. I called it, waiting 15minutes for someone to pick up, told them what I was missing. They put me on hold and within 5 minutes disconnected me. I called a second time only to find out those parts are not available. Customer service suggested I get the store to steal the parts out of an existing box in the store. This is NOT customer service!! I will be returning my cart and won't be buy anything that needs assembly from HF again!!

Harbor Freight Tools Company Profile