1.65/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

228 Harbor Freight Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Ordered a water pump that I desperately needed on Jan 3rd. They update order with two tracking numbers. 4 days later tracking numbers are not valid. Called to cancel order and was told they can not because it shows shipped. Even though tracking is not valid and they have no other tracking they can not cancel order and said they never will be able to. I should hope that the product just arrives soon. They said the only thing I could do is a dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Very low quality tools, and a scam to buy warranty as insurance against their lousy quality tools? With the warranty you end up paying the same as you would for a name brand you can actually trust. What a complete joke. Tools break prematurely, the concept is a big SCAM???

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

The Hamburg NY store 00643 on 12/28/2018 3:22:42 pm register NEXT TO REGISTER 3. I went to Harbor Freight. As I was leaving I was in great deal of pain. My foot had a boot on it. There was a lady at the cash register. I went to it. She went by the window and came back. She threw me out of line verbally and wanted to take the guy at the back still shopping. She called that the next in line. I tried to explain I'm in pain and need help. She wouldn't listen. I had to find a place to sit. Then I called to my sister in law to come in and stand in line for me. From this experience I feel Harbor Freight is not handicap friendly.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered 9 4' Shop Lights #64410 in November 2018. Without any notification, they were placed on back-order. I have called (800) 423-2567 to find a estimated ETA several times since finding that they were back-ordered. This morning I started calling within 3 minutes of opening and each time I called, I was told how valuable I was as a customer and they wanted to treat me like family. First 3 times I called, I was told agents were busy and that there was a wait time of 10 Minutes. 3 times I waited on the line for more than 16 minutes and then the phone would disconnect. I then tried Customer Service (800) 444-3353) and after about 8 minutes was hung up on again. My order is still on back-order and I don't know if it will ever be delivered. I shop Harbor Freight a lot but not sure I will ever order online with them again. There is absolutely no reliable Customer Service available.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was told that FedEx controls the inventory of what HF ships out. I placed an order on the 9th and here on the 17th it still states the item label is printed but FedEx has not shipped it yet. HF stated that they put all the items in the FedEx truck then FedEx scans them. Then they are ready to ship. So I asked if HF has no record if the item was placed in the truck, they do not. So FedEx is HF's inventory control. I was told it would take another 2 to 3 days for the tracking, then they would ship out another item if FedEx doesn't have it... So how long do I wait... And of course the answer is to get off the phone, HF will provide me with nonsense answers. It will ship out immediately. Like the last one ordered, and HF did not know if it had shipped.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harbor Freight Tools?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ordered items online. Was told battery for drill was back ordered. Come to find out drill was on backorder and they already shipped the extra battery I ordered with drill. What good is a battery without the drill? Will never do business with Harbor Freight again!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have a homemade camper that I built myself over the last 3 years. And are still building... lol. So I want this camper to be completely self sufficient. I love to tinker with electronics, and I’ve built several generators for off grid use. That brings us to the Thunderbolt Solar line. Although a lower end product, they have paid for themselves. I currently run a 10 panel grid on the roof of the camper. Some old from the 3 panel series and some new, from the 4 panel series. Now I’ve come to realize that they are good battery maintainers but if the batteries are low, it takes days and days to come back, but it will charge them. I have 4 super start 90ah flooded marine deep cycle batteries. Again el cheapo start set. And it works.

Ok, last year I upgraded to the Jupiter 2000w inverter. I hooked it up with my normal battery cables, same size as vehicle. And it ran for about a month. Then one day I turned it on and poof! All 8-30a fuses blew at once and blue flames shot out the back. Wow! It originally took me over an hour to set it up the way I wanted it. But fellas, I gotta tell you what the flight of the bumble bee looks like unhooking that monster in seconds flat. I place kicked it out the door and into the street smoking like crazy. Ok that’s not a bad review, that’s my admittance to ignorance. (BUY THE #2 FAT CABLES FOR THE INVERTER!!!) It is well worth the 40.

I now run a 1000w Jupiter with those fat cables and what a difference! Smooth running/runs damn near everything/quietly. And while I’m on here, the solar panels get 10 gauge wire. Get rid of the resistance. Keep wires as short as possible. Don’t buy the warranty because you're going to change out the wires. Build a gang junction box. Poss. and neg. buss bars. With 1-10 gauge set of wires going to the controller. Use blocking diodes on every panel, then use a capacitor on the hub. It’s called the night club effect. Have the power waiting to come in. Backed up at the capacitor. Let it bottle neck.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I bought my first Harbor Freight Generator many years ago. The first "blue" one finally started disintegrating, i.e. the sheet metal containing the pull rope and spring assembly started cracking; it became impossible to fix; Harbor Freight offers no replacement parts. I then bought the "new" predator model, same size. Despite careful maintenance and frequent quality oil changes it lost compression after 2 seasons. On my third foolish purchase I was suckered into buying the extended "warranty" (actually insurance for a 100 $ extra).

That machine lasted exactly 1 month past the 90 day warranty provided by Harbor Freight. When I returned it they readily supplied me with a new one. After it was loaded I was asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I told them I already had that. Turns out they wanted me to pay that 100 $ again! NO WAY! What it really means that Harbor Freight is not in the generator business but in the insurance business. Just think of it. If their generators can't last more than 4 months; that makes buying a generator from them an annual expense of 1200 $!

I got 3/4 of my money back, went to Coastal and bought a Honda (like the mgr. at the Harbor Freight in Medford Oregon suggested). It came with a 3 year parts and labor all inclusive warranty. The repair shop at Coastal is "filled" with Harbor Freight Machinery that people bring in hopes of having them repaired only to find it can't be done, either because parts can't be had or the repair would cost more than a new item. So rather pay the 1/2 hour service charge people leave them thus providing others with a random supply of used parts. I believe Harbor Freight was more service minded in the past and would have worked with me on the generator considering just how quick it went bye bye. NOT ANYMORE! So consider your needs, maybe find a used generator till you can buy a good one! Or make do with a minimum of power supply till you can afford to buy what you need.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have purchased a lot of tools from Harbor Freight over the years and have exported them to where I live in the Caribbean, so nothing large can be returned. They have changed strategies and re-branded old tools with hitherto unknown names on the basis that they are professional high end units which is obviously a con. The margin between cheap Chinese and genuine quality brands is dropping fast. The discount coupons are getting to be worthless now that more and more items are being excluded. I purchased a little 3200 watt generator and was surprised to find how quiet and smooth it was. Whether it actually produces 3200 watts continuously I have not checked. I put it in storage for 8 weeks with stabilizer in the gas. When I then came to start it it refused to fire. I stripped the carb to find the main jet blocked with rust from the float bowl!

I had a Generac before for years, I never put stabilizer in it and it always started first pull but it was stolen. I have coated the float bowl in epoxy resin but it just goes to show how cheap, cheap is. Some of the tools I have had have stood up exceptionally well, but now the prices are climbing substantially, the risk is no longer worth it. I have found their grinders to be OK but will fail very quickly when grinding or cutting concrete. I purchased a press drill and shipped it overseas only to find that the motor had been wound wrong and it would only run backwards.

Inside Track seems to be a con, I have noticed things on sale at cheaper prices than the so called track club offers. I know people that return tools much older than 90 days and get away with it. One way is to buy another tool, wait a few weeks and return the old tool for cash. In the event that they will not provide warranty parts for large power tools you still have the option of buying another and returning the same unit after swapping out the parts. It's not what you would wish to do but sometimes the only answer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I got a 20% off coupon in the mail and went to Harbor Freight in Glen Burnie, MD. After picking out the compressor I wanted I was told that the compressors weren’t included in the 20% offer. Anything I wanted to buy wasn’t included - impact wrench, sockets, etc. Harbor Freight says their cheap china tools compare to snap on. What a joke. I have bought from this co. for over 40 years but won’t ever again. Their help doesn’t care if you buy from them or not but a lot of stores have the same feeling. I guess they will go the way Sears went.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Apparently, every customer who used a credit or debit card at Harbor Freight this Veterans Day weekend was double charged. I called the store where I shopped and they said they were given a script to read to customers regarding the problem and advised me to call corporate customer service as the store could not reverse the double charge. I called customer service and was told that I would get my money back probably within 14 days. This was a $300 purchase and Harbor Freight took $600 - overdrafting my account and leaving me broke until next payday. I don't understand how they can screw up like this and keep customers' money hostage while they work out their computer problems. Customer service reps were not helpful as they made no attempt to resolve this - just read the script and told me to be patient. Just give your customers back their money! I will never shop there again and advise everyone to avoid them!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I needed to return an item. I talked to Teresa the manager of Store #00109. I have talked to Managers in the past but none can compare to Teresa. She was very professional, told me my options and solved my problem with minimal time. She was courteous and showed the very best customer service. She should be given an award for her service whether time off, or something extra in her pay check. At any rate you should very proud to have her working for you. Her team was very helpful and their customer service was award winning too. Thanks again. A loyal customer forever.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I went in to the store to return the SECOND winch we bought that didn't work, and the manager on duty (Lance) told me that the winch I brought in was not what was on the box. That outraged me like I just took another winch and brought it in to get money back?! So now we're stuck with a winch that doesn't work! On top of that he even said that They don't carry that winch in their store. This is unacceptable. So maybe there was a packing issue? I'm not sure, but we don't just have new winches laying around to hustle Harbor Freight with. This is wrong and thievery.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I used to purchase a lot of tools from Harbor Freight Tools for both of my jobs. I don't think the quality is comparable to other tool manufacturers, but they are fairly close to me and I could return the tools for replacement. I have made more trips than I wanted for broken wrenches or power tools that have stopped working. However, what bothered me is the fact that I couldn't get a discount on a floor jack; even a measly 10%. I e-mailed customer service and received a response from Tony ** (District Manager) stating that their jacks are deeply discounted compared to Snap-On tools. Really... please don't advertise something that's not comparable. That's like comparing an old Ford Pinto to a Cadillac.

Moving forward, I will just order my tools online or go to Lowe's or something along those lines and get the same warranty without the false advertisement. In addition, I can easily get 10 to 20% off from other places. I have a lot of snap-on and Mac tools and there is no comparison. In addition, I bought one of those General Roll around utility tool carts and I damaged the lid. I called customer service to purchase another lid, but I was told I would have to purchase another cart? I asked about a deep discount since I have to buy a new cart; nothing more than their 20% coupon that they always offer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We've ordered a utility trailer twice. Been billed, told it was shipped. Got nothing. Called and then was told it was back ordered. Asked to have charges removed. Not removed so after two months, called back. Again, we were told it was shipped and they billed us again. Ditto on the experience. So - we've now been billed twice. Received nothing and have been sitting on hold for customer service for over an hour. O, and the product still is back ordered - even though it's highlighted in their recent catalog. Waste of time and pretty darn expensive, non-existent utility trailer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at this location for at least 10+ years. Mill Street, San Bernardino, California. The people will react as nice as one treats them. Some other people could be rude. Jeff the Mgr. and his ladies are awesome and helped me on a return without blinking an eye. Certainly some tools might not be high end so do not complain if some do not work as well as others. For Pete's sake, a ten dollar grinder is not going to be like a $100.00 Dewalt. There are Ford Fiestas and Cadillacs. They are not of the same ilk.

Jeff took care of my little problem in such a speedy and friendly manner that I was blown over. The young ladies working there know me as a regular customer and treat me like family, so do the men. God bless these people. As far as the people that are a bit rude in other stores, perhaps they have problems and bring them to work. It is the people, not the store or store brand. Thank you Jeff and ladies.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I just purchased a Portland Electric Leaf blower mulcher, three in one unit at Harbor Freight an hour ago. I got home and opened my new leaf blower excited to clean the leaves from my patio and sidewalk. I snapped the parts together and plugged it into a 25 ft powered extension. I flipped the switch as was amazed at the power of the blower, but my excitement was short lived. After 3 seconds, it just stopped. I tried a different outlet checking the connections and checked the cutoff switch under the leaf trap in the bottom. It's just dead, junk hardware. I will return to Harbor Freight for a refund, and will never go back.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased an inexpensive air compressor for simple household jobs like filling bike tires, blowing out pipes, clean up, etc... I very seldom so on my second use I noticed the unit wouldn’t reach the 100 psi on the initial startup or when used. The manual said it should take 4 minutes. Mine was taking over 8 minutes and made using it difficult.

I returned the unit to Harbor to upgrade to a larger more powerful compressor and only wanted to apply my original purchase price to the much more expensive compressor I now had to buy. The compressor I was returning was in NEW condition as I’d really only used it once. Only because I didn’t have my original receipt The Harbor employee wouldn’t even discuss the matter and offered ZERO help. I believe Harbor Freight is a marketing company that sells CHEAP, INFERIOR PRODUCTS at competitive prices. I’ll never return and suggest you learn from my mistake!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The puller broke while using the tool to pull an automotive seal from a housing. Took the tool to the store on Craycroft and 22nd Street Tucson, AZ. Showed my receipt, which was more than 90 days. The manager named Pablo said the tool could be exchanged or refunded because the 90 days has passed. I called corporate 800 number and spoke to Jacob... Explained the story to him. I asked him if hand tools were with a lifetime guarantee as is a claim the company openly makes and his answer was, yes. Jacob looked up the product number that was on the box and said, the tool was not covered under the lifetime guarantee. I told him that if that was the case that I would not shop at Harbor Freight again... His reply was, "Fine you can keep the empty threat and have a nice day," and hung up on me.

Today I threw the tool in the trash and will never set foot in the store again... Next week I will purchase a welder, but it will not be the Vulcan I was going to by from Harbor Freight. I always knew the tools at Harbor Freight were cheap, but did not expect this reaction them. A few years ago I met the founder Allan Smidt at a wedding in Agoura California... Wonder what he would say today about this... if he were still alive... I told him how I love his stores and congratulated him on his lifetime of success. Never again will I honor Harbor Freight with a single purchase from tools that made in China... Screw and China and Harbor Freight! I only buy made in America from now on.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Right away, the customer service rep answered the phone with an attitude. I was inquiring about why we only received three items out of 9. The email we received said that they all shipped on the same date and only 3 items had tracking numbers. I was trying to find out when we would expect the remainder of the items. She asked me how the items were delivered and I said by truck. Didn't know she meant anything other than that. She came back on the line and asked again what carrier and I told her FedEx. She got ugly and said I just told her wrong. I then put my husband on the phone and she continued to have attitude and argued with him about ship date when he was looking at the email that they sent. He asked her name and she hung up. I'm calling back to speak with management and to ask for a refund. WE WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We ordered a magnetic roller on 9/02/2018. Took money from my account on 9/06/2018. Gave me a tracking # to FedEx. FedEx does not know where it is, so called Harbor Freight, She said FedEx don't give any tracking once USPS gets the item from FedEx then it will be able to be Tracked, Harbor freight tools is a ripoff, you call their 1800 number the recording sis (We treat our Customers like Family). Well I must be the Blacksheep of the family then. I would (NOT RECOMMEND HARBOR FREIGHT TO MY WORST ENEMY).

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

So I had a situation that most of us have which is you haven't returned and as much as I rate returns with root canals I had to do this one. But I have the unfortunate experience of having to use my American Express Bluebird card when I first purchased the items and returns on the American Express Bluebird take forever. When they say 3 to 5 business days they mean 5 business days minimum so upon my arrival on Thursday evening I make sure my items were in proper order and condition and I thought out the store manager on duty. The store managers on duty was named Cheyanne. I asked her if I could get the cash back rather than having to go back on my card and she immediately said, "No problem." She did ask the amount.

The amount was about $44 so I was definitely on the low end of returns and my expectations. She proceeded to tell me to go ahead and get in line and when that I arrived to have the cashier contactor. That took all of 3 minutes and soon I was out the door within 5 minutes. Perfect. There's a reason why you go to the same stores. There's a reason why you put up with some of the things that maybe you don't have to put up with that some of the other bigger stores. But I will never talk trash about Harbor Freight and the products that they supply. Well done Cheyanne and Harbor Freight team!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My model 65298 Harbor Freight, Chicago Electric, My Electric Reciprocating saw is total junk. The blade holder, the chuck, does not hold the blade in properly. I absolutely hate a piece of junk tool. I’m ready to throw this piece of junk into the trash can. Motor works just fine. The quick disconnect chuck is total junk. I wouldn’t even give this tool away. Cheaply Made in China. I’m now a retired weekend warrior. That said, it should be good enough for what I use it for. NOPE! TOTAL JUNK!

Original review: July 25, 2018

When I called a few years ago, they didn't even have a customer service and I corresponded by email FOR WEEKS and never got a resolution. This time I ordered a paint gun and they didn't have the one I wanted so they use a cheaper version if that's possible. Then I said I would get back to them so I called a couple hours later and a lady named Chanel said she canceled the order. Well lo and behold she didn't cancel it so it is being sent to my house. THE ONE I DIDN'T WANT. So now I have to deal with getting a refund. Do not ever do anything online with this company. I actually like their products because I don't do a lot of construction work but their customer service is the worst!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Attempted to use the HF 25%-off coupon. At the cash register was informed that the lock boxes are not eligible. Reason? "Don't know. You just find out when you check out what is eligible." This is unacceptable. Won't drive there again to see if their coupon is really valid.

Original review: July 15, 2018

As others have said, most items cheap and cheaply made. Customer service is non existent and nobody knows where anything is in the store. Try to buy a battery operated impact gun, and wouldn't you know it, they did have the batteries for it. Waited in line for ten minutes to find out they didn't have any in the back room. Won't be going back ever.

Original review: July 13, 2018

They sell cheap stuff. The price is cheap (especially if you use the coupons), and the quality is cheap. But what's really sad is that they hold back negative reviews. They have held back my negative and constructive reviews. So you can't trust the reviews.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! My husband lost a gift card there and immediately called to have it shut off and a card was to be sent out to him. However, days later we were told no card would be issued because there was only a 1.00 on it left. Their excuse was that it was holiday so what they said would not hold water because they could answer a phone on a holiday when they had a mega sale but they could not shut it off? Sounds like b.s. and bad customer service. Getting our money through our credit card dispute but never shopping here again. Their customer service people are downright nasty and they have NO customer service. Buyer beware at this company!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I tried foolishly to use a coupon at Harbor Freight Tools yesterday. Turns out, there are soooo many things the coupon doesn't work for, it renders it almost useless. 20% off, except: nearly everything of any value in the store. I couldn't find a single thing in the store that I wanted where the coupon applied. Just not worth the effort to try anymore.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Dont bother trying to call HF customer service. Reps only read from scripts and have ZERO common sense. When asked a question not part of the script they hang up. Happened 3x in a row. Deal with reputable companies only, not fly by night RIP offs.

Harbor Freight Tools Company Information