2. Miscellaneous

Genie Garage Doors

3.9/5 (227 ratings)

About Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie Garage Doors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I purchased a Genie 1000 from Home Depot. The garage opener had problems immediately. I returned the first opener only to have the second opener fail after three months. I have contacted Genie on several occasions, only to be given the runaround. I am very disappointed in their product.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I bought the top-of-the-line Genie garage door opener at Home Depot, and within six months it failed. Each of the six times that I've called the company, I've been on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes to as long as 45 minutes. Each time, I'm talking to someone who cannot resolve the problem. With a company that closes down at 5PM Eastern time, the window for calling is very small. It's easier trying to get through to Comcast than it is to reach these people! After three weeks, I've still not gotten through to the department that is supposed to be sending a replacement unit. My wife says we should have simply bought a replacement from a different manufacturer, but this just lets Genie off the hook for their responsibility for selling a crappy product. I would NEVER again buy one of these things from Genie. My wife would kill me!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

In Feb 2015 I purchased a Genie garage door opener from LOWE'S. Due to cold weather I finally got around to installing it about a month ago. The unit has been nothing but trouble. First the chain tensioner pulley broke. Genie sent me a new one. Had to take the opener down to install pulley. Got everything back together & programmed unit. Ran fine for one day, then quit. Called Genie. CSR diagnosed bad powerhead. New one sent out. Took unit down again & installed new powerhead this past Friday. Programmed opener. Opener RAN FINE FOR 1 DAY! Now chain bullet won't stay engaged with carriage. Can't use opener. So now I have to call Genie back to report yet another issue with their opener. I've had it. The opener is a piece of garbage. Never again will I purchase a Genie garage door opener. I'm getting ready to sue them in Small Claims Court for selling me this piece of junk! By the way it's a chain drive Model 2022. Stay away!

Original review: July 30, 2015

The opener stop working after a few months of used. I call and together we gave it a try. They send a new motherboard with the electric mother. The electronic board was the problem. We tried to reprogram it. The door would go about a feet at a time. They replaced My Power Max 1500 by TriloG 1500. I hope it's an improve version. I am satisfied by the service they game me so far.

Original review: July 17, 2015

It's been 18 months I have used Genie 1024 garage opener. I am satisfied with it but it's just that its electronics doesn't have a whole lot of protection against electricity transients. In an event of lightning storm it damaged the main board and I had to look for the main board which was little hard to find.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Bought a Genie door opener about a year ago and had it installed in my shed, but it was never hooked to electricity because there wasn't any electricity installed in the shed due to lack of funds. Opener at house stopped working, so had the one taken from the shed to use at house. Opener wouldn't work. Tech said it needed a new circuit board. Called Genie. Long story short, Genie wouldn't replace the board and the rep hung up on me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. No more Genies for me..

Original review: June 12, 2015

I went to the Lowe's store and purchased a new Genie 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener Model 2022 on 28 January 2014. I had a professional installer place it into operation a few days later. Today, a garage door service company repairman informed me that the circuit board needed replacing because my door failed to operate. Today is 12 June 2015. I have had this unit less than one and a half years. I contacted Genie over the phone and they would not replace the circuit board since the warranty for that part is only one year.

This unit was purchased new for $153.58 (with military discount) and now I just ordered a circuit board for an additional repair part cost of $103.11. Of course these prices do not include the cost of installation and now a service repair order. I am not pleased with this Genie opener because of its unreliability and the now extreme cost to get it back in working order. My last opener was manufactured by Liftmaster which lasted about 21 years before it failed. I wish I had ordered a Liftmaster/Chamberlain instead of this Genie. I hope this review will help others from making the same mistake.

Original review: May 16, 2015

Genie door opener caught my house on fire while I was sleeping! I wouldn't recommend this product to Anyone! Not a good way to get awakened after working graveyard shift! Wasn't even using the product! I strongly advise smoke detectors. My neighbor saved life and the life of a wife and 4 children.

Original review: May 13, 2015

I have a Mod# ISD990 screw drive connected to a 16' panel door since 2005. Twice a year as the weather changes I have to re-adjust the counterbalance springs due to thermal properties changing in the spring material. Needless to type my indication is the failure of the composite material coupling that connects the screw to the drive assembly. The fit on the OEM coupling is very sloppy which I think is the reason for constant failure. Genie support as usual with bad English wants me to adjust counterbalance springs when I call about the coupling, avoiding the subject matter of coupling.

Original review: May 2, 2015

The new house that I purchased from the builder three years ago was furnished with two Genie company garage door openers. One of them stopped working. Today, with the Genie company customer phone service, it was established that the circuit board should be replaced with new one. I was forced to buy new board, despite the fact the system was new. I see it unfair. It is too soon to malfunction. The company should provide a free circuit board. If it was up to me I wouldn't install this product in my garage. It requires constant adjustment and lengthy calls to their customer service.

This bleak prospect of ownership the products manufactured by the Genie company lies ahead of me as long as I have the Genie company garage door openers in my house. On behalf of house owners I ask the builders, "Stop buying anything from the above-mentioned company." Looking at the Genie company business reviews, I was surprised to find out that the company has managed to stay in business for so long. The public hates them. However, the company knows the way how to survive for so long selling bad product.

Original review: April 30, 2015

In December 2013 I ordered a garage door and a garage door opener from a local company. They brought me a Genie IntelliG 1000 unit, instead of the one I had ordered from a different manufacturer. On April 28, 2015, the unit ceased functioning. The company sent out a repairman who said he couldn't fix the unit, that they had only carried Genie for a short time but didn't carry them anymore. He said he would ask his boss what to do. His boss decided to replace the motor and keyless entry and pads from the manufacturer I had originally ordered from, for a $95 service fee.

There was a big long sob story about how if I wasn't happy I should call Genie because it really wasn't their fault for substituting an inferior unit for the one I had ordered. I am unhappy both with the company that I bought the garage door from and from Genie. I will not deal with either again. I don't think the order number will help you because the order shows the unit I ordered originally, not the piece of junk that was substituted.

Original review: April 8, 2015

I have been installing garage doors and openers for sixteen years for the biggest garage door company in Nashville. Genie is by far the worst garage door opener you can buy. The company's business model can be best described as planned obsolescence. Every make and model they make is designed to break in three to five years if not sooner. My company has around six residential installers. I personally have five or six warranty calls a week on models that are less than two years old, ranging from bad circuit boards, sensors, gear boxes, etc. We have six installers so you do the math. We are a Genie dealer with national builder accounts so a lot of times what we install is out of my company's hands. My advice to anyone looking for a garage door opener: BUY A CHAMBERLAIN/LIFTMASTER.

Original review: April 7, 2015

Have had a Genie Garage Door Opener, Model 3062 installed for four months. It quit working, no power. Called Genie, after numerous calls and e-mails they sent me a new circuit board which we had to install ourselves. Did that. After re-programming door, it went down once and does not work again. No response this time from Genie. Have repeatedly said I want a refund. Genie says they cannot do this, yes they can, this opener obviously is defective. Genie does not stand behind their product. I am very dissatisfied with this product and I am telling everyone I know not to buy Genie.

Original review: April 5, 2015

This garage door was seemingly OK after it was first installed, as it operated quite well. After 2 years of very minimal use the drive sprocket which conveys the belt, has completely disintegrated. The sprocket is plastic!!! It is not replaceable due to the fact the housing is riveted. Complete junk!!!

Original review: March 15, 2015

I have had 5 Genie garage door openers since 1998, and the only thing that you can count on with a Genie product, is that it WILL break down in a fairly short amount of time. On average, they last about 2 years. I went back a couple of times to try them again whenever I bought a new house (I have several rental properties), due to someone telling me that they are better than before, but it just isn't true. Dealing with the company takes too long, and they usually end up telling you to call someone to repair a non-warrantied or short-warrantied part. It's always been circuit boards. I got rid of the last one I own today, and it FEELS SO GOOD!

Here's a recap of what took place with this last location: First one was inoperative out of the box, so back to Home Depot for another. That one worked fine for a little more than a year, and then it refused to work unless the temperature was between 40 and 90 degrees. Replaced with a warranty replacement from HD, and after a year, that one became problematic. No matter which sensor has sunlight on it (even indirectly), the sensor will blink a sequence that Genie says it doesn't support, and it will refuse to work, even if you press and hold the direct-wired console button to override it. In addition to this, it began raising the door at normal speed once or twice, and then would raise it at about 1/3 speed. Genie says it must be losing power, but no, so once again they wanted me to change the circuit board.

In the end, it was to the point that it opened slow about 95% of the time. Also, we learned to wait for the door to close, and watch it an additional 10 seconds, because it occasionally would decide to reopen itself. Genie says that the tension must be set to high, but even though it is backed off all the way, it still occurs about 1 out of 10 times. Paid a couple of different pros to tell me why it happens, and after checking that the door, spring, rails, and unit are installed properly, they recommend going with a better brand. There are others who report the same behavior around the net, though Genie will tell you that they've never heard of any of this. In short, Genie seems to be a crappy company which produces junk that turns out to be a waste of money. On the other hand, I have several Chamberlains that are 7+ years old, and none of those have problems (even intermittent ones) of any kind.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

I installed two IMS series door openers when I built my house in 1999. One is still working, no problem. Replaced the other one in 2012 with a PowerMax 1200 3062 on Feb 2015. The motion light stays on all time. Called customer service and they are sending me a new circuit board. The lady I talked to at Genie was very nice. Other than that, the Genie Openers have been very good.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

Purchased a Genie SilentMax 1000 tonight from Home Depot. Installed fairly quickly and easily. Immediately discovered that there is no power from the powerhead to the wall console, although there is power to the Safe-T-Beams. Unit can also be programmed for travel limits, force and speed control. I connected two 8" leads from the appropriate terminals at the powerhead and to the wall console...no power. No lights or other controls operating at the wall console. After reading the numerous poor reviews about the Genie, I'm uncertain that I'll get any help from their technical service. I'm thinking of just disassembling the entire system and returning it to Home Depot. It's my first Genie but I'll just go back to a Chamberlain.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

I have been on the phone three times going over the same information three times. I am now in a holding pattern waiting for an email so I can send my receipt from Lowe's where I bought the item. I give up with these people. Will now be going back to Lowe's to see if they will honor the warranty.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Very bad service. Handled very rudely. 1 month to get door parts fixed and shipped. How do you people stay in business? Cannot get a hold of anybody on phone for information. Even the installer had problems with you people. I want results on my parts being shipped. I was on my cell phone for almost an hour and still never got through to anybody. Serviceman had same problem. How do you people stay in business? I'm 75 years old and had triple heart surgery with a heavy garage door to open by hand. I will put in a complaint to Better Business Bureau on your company, and if I don't get my parts and door fixed soon I will have my lawyer contact you people and have him take it from there. No more Genies openers for this guy. Plus you will get a bad reference from me on this outfit.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

Open limit switch quit working on my H8000 Genie Garage Door opener. Called customer service to have part replaced under lifetime warranty. No charge for part but charged $7.50 standard shipping cost. Switch weighs 2.35 oz. USPS charges $2.32 to ship a 3 oz. package first class. So if there is no charge for the part what is the extra $5.18 for besides what it would cost them for the part they charge $11.00 for?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

Genie Model ISD 990. I had to replace the Motor drive board 3 times in 10 years. There is a fuse on this board that never blows but yet the boards go out. I'm done with Genie! Don't lose your receipt either. Customer service is good but not the opener!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

I purchased the Genie garage door opener less than a year ago and to date I've had three different motors and new circuit board and it doesn't work. It was one of the most expensive models and it's really a piece of junk.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I had my Genie garage opener for over 10 years with lifetime warranty. I had the issue but Genie's Tech support was able to resolve in time mainly. Thank you very much.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

Bought a Genie Excelerator II Revolution Series Model 4062 from Home Depot last year and installed it. Worked for awhile and continues to work on opening, but stopped working correctly when shutting. Tried to reprogram to no avail. This opener was a replacement for one used for over 10 years. I have deep technical knowledge as both an application developer and enterprise architect with and MBA, but cannot get this damned thing to work right again. After spending way too much time on this problem, I tried to call the Genie technician 3 times, but the connect was hung up on each time ... last one called himself Jerod or sounds to that effect who I waited for by phone for about 45 minutes ... "due to high call volume ..." this statement I believe sums it up for Genie as a company. Genie is ONE LOSER company that shouldn't be allowed to sell garage door openers, they sell fraudulent junk disguised as a garage door opener that cannot be programmed.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I had purchased a Garage Door Opener (Genie Model 4062) from my local Lowe's. It was an open box item, but looked like everything was in the box (the unit had never been installed). When I realized the Rail was missing, I contacted Genie to purchase a rail for the product. And then everything went really screwy. I talked with 2 different level 3 tech support folks at Genie and each one said that I have no warranty with this garage door opener. When I asked why, it was because I was not the original purchaser of the product. I was told by one of the reps that it would mean if someone purchased a $300 garage door opener, and then returned it (even if it was un-opened), the warranty would be voided.

I've tried to contact the manager (left 2 voice mails), but have not gotten any response. I think Lowe's and Home Depot need to rethink carrying the Genie Brand, or at least warn customers who purchase items that had been previously returned. Needless to say, I'm returning the Genie Product and no, I'll not be buying any Genie Products just in case someone had purchased it before me!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2014

Genie Excelerator II (Model 4062) - Purchased from Home Depot and installed November 2013. Opener malfunctioned in open position causing door to move only a few inches and then reverse. I initially disengage the shuttle release and determined the door could easily be opened and closed manually. Movement through the entire travel range was smooth and effortless. As troubleshooting in accordance with the Operation and Maintenance Manual did not help, I called Genie for assistance and waited a very long time until technician answered.

During the next hour or more the technician had me try numerous tests, and even suggested the opener was not installed correctly. I totally disagree! I have a very diverse technical background and I am certain the installation is technically correct, dimensionally accurate and precise in every way. Finally after he asked me to perform (I would estimate) somewhere between 50 and 100 test procedures, the technician indicated Genie would ship me a replacement circuit board. In my opinion, the diagnosis should have taken 10 minutes or less. In my opinion, the technician did not follow a well organized diagnostic process. He was arrogant, and he did not represent the Company in a effective manner.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

My complaint pretty much mirrors what I've been reading here. I had two garage door openers fail from Genie. This last one in less than two years. I've had nothing but malfunctions. I had my door re balanced twice. I had the springs replaced and door balanced three days ago. Their customer service tries to convince me my door is not balanced and that's why the opener failed. I even read reviews that said this was exactly what they would do. They were so textbook CYA that I lost patience with the customer service person and started yelling. They sell a substandard do-it-yourself product that claims a lifetime warranty and then weasel their way out of responsibility. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

I work for a garage door dealer. We installed a Genie PMX500 for a customer in 2010. The operator quit working in 2014 and it is still under Genie's 5-year parts warranty. The technician determined the starting capacitor had failed. We tried to buy one locally to get the unit working again, but could not find one. We quit selling Genie operators a couple years ago because of absolutely horrible customer service. Genie hasn't improved since then. In fact, Genie has reached a new, low level of incompetence with discourtesy and obstructionism on top.

First, I contacted Genie through its website, provided the operator model number, described what happened, and asked for a replacement starting capacitor. Genie sent an email back asking for $25.92 in payment and gave me a part number that turned out to be wrong. The email said to call 800-354-3643 to place an order. I called 800-354-3643 and was on hold for almost an hour before finally giving up. I called again the next day and was on hold for 1/2 hour before someone answered. The first representative got some basic information and put me on hold for a really long time. Then he transferred me to a level 2 representative because he said he couldn't help me. On hold again.

Finally, a level 2 guy picked up. He was rude, condescending, obnoxious and talked over the top of me. He asked me why we didn't buy the part locally - pretty annoying when Genie has a 5-year parts warranty. I told him we tried and he wanted to know how we could do that because obviously I didn't know what operator I was talking about. Hmm. In every contact I had with Genie, including the level 2 rep, I had given them the model number upfront, PMX500. He then hassled me because I wasn't the technician who identified the problem, so therefore I had no business contacting them. Amazingly, he lectured me again that he couldn't just send me a part because it mattered if it was a 1/3 HP or 1/2 HP motor. Then he told me I should have called the Wayne Dalton sales center because he was only there for people who own operators and that I was going outside the proper channels. Geez, Genie's own rep gave me the phone number to call.

In case this wasn't enough, he then decided the garage door was out of balance and that the starting capacitor would have only gone out if there was something wrong with the door. He said he couldn't send anything if that was the case and he implied he wouldn't do anything without a tech report to verify the door worked properly. Did I mention we are a garage door dealer? The first thing our techs do is run the door manually to rule out a door problem. On hold again. Forever. The level 2 rep came back on the line and announced he decided to send out the part "as a courtesy. " But he was so "courteous," he would only ship to our customer, not us. And we all get the privilege of waiting at least six business days.

Horrible horrible horrible. I can't even imagine how they treat customers who are not in the industry. Genie has perfected the art of discouraging requests for help and information of any kind. Just a few of the techniques: wrong information, make you buy parts that should be warrantied, an automated phone answering system that goes on so long with options that you might die from frustration, putting customers on hold forever, and surly representatives.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2014

Garage door opener was purchased 11/13 and self installed. It worked well until last week (7/26/14) and stopped operating. The company was contacted and the tech felt it was the motherboard and would send a new one. The part arrived one week later. It was installed and the unit still did not work. A friend who worked with garage door openers came over and the cause could not be found.

Original review: July 26, 2014

My experience and symptoms mirror those listed. I have just replaced a Power Max 1200 with a Chamberlain unit. Why, after 7 months, the Power Max got a mind of its own, and decided it either did not want to go up, or did not want to go down. Spend 2 days debugging the system and ON HOLD 1 hour for a Genie Tech (finally hung up after told the wait was VERY LONG yet due to call volume). Glad I did because I think Genie has a labor charge to come out and work on it. SOOOO... long story short, just got the Chamberlain working, and so nice to have a door go up and down when you want to. Guess I will eBay the controllers to get something out of my experience.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information