GE Spacemaker Microwaves

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Spacemaker Microwave Ovens

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Spacemaker Microwaves Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Spacemaker Microwaves?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2010

I purchased a GE Spacemaker microwave and it barely lasted a year. It started making a noise when you turned it on like it was cutting on and off. Then it stopped working altogether. No light, fan, clock—nothing. This is supposed to be one of their best over the range microwave to the tune of over $300. This is a heap of junk if you ask me. I have never had any microwave do this, even the cheap models lasted me years. Never again will I purchase anything GE! There’s no damage, but I just wasted my money on a microwave that was supposed to be top notch.

Original review: April 1, 2008

i purchased a GE Spacemaker microwave from Home depot in Dec. 2005. The microwave work well for 3 months, then stopped working. Since it was under warrant, GE sent an electrician and was repaired. According to the Technician, the problem is prevalent with this kind of microwaves, the fan blows causing the microwave to overheat. Two months ago the microwave started working at will, giving an error message -F3-. I am now ready to replace the microwave since it is out of warrant hopefully not a GE one this time around.

I see repair can be expensive.

Original review: March 13, 2008

Surprise! Surprise! My husband and I remodeled our kitchen during the Christmas holidays of 2006. We purchased all GE Profile appliances. We spent around $8,000 on a range, dishwasher,(2)refrigerators and the same 2.0 Spacemaker microwave (JVM2070) that seems to have a problem shorting out. The problem with our microwave started 13 months after purchased. One month past the warranty. As most consumers do, we called GE's service department and of course recieved the same information as the other consumers.

1. "you can have a GE service technician come out and diagnose the problem."
2. "You can then have the appliance serviced."
3. "We have never heard of this problem before."

ALL AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CONSUMER!!!

GE is one of the largest corporations in the world. You would hope that they would stand behind their products and warranty a high end appliance for more than a year! That is the price we consumers have to pay when our products are being manufactured in Malaysia. GE certainly dosen't want to assume that risk! BTW the ice maker on the GE Profile refrigerators is the worst I have EVER used. We will not replace our microwave with a GE product and we will not purchase GE appliances in the future!!! I would be better off purchasing a Wal-mart brand. My friend has one that is 7 years old and still working perfectly!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2008

We have been in our home for over 2 years and have been having problems with our GE Spacemaker microwave oven for the past two weeks. First the circuit board fried and then magnetron two weeks later. If Ge is putting out this type of product, we will never purchase another GE product again

Original review: Jan. 30, 2008

My Spacemaker microwave quit without any warning. When I called the GE Help Desk to inquire about the location of the fuse, their response was that "they did not know", and that I would have to call a technician. Based upon their response, what is the purpose of their "Help-less Desk"!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2007

I have a GE profile Spacemaker microwave and the magnetron tube is no good it will not heat up.I called GE and there is no recall on this model jvm1660ab005.I see that ther are alot of complaints about the magnetron tube going bad. Is there anything that can be done. If not its ok. I will never buy G.E. appliances again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2007

I have a three-year-old (new) home in which the builder installed all GE appliances. It turned out being a nightmare!

Since 6 months later after we moved in, the GE Spacemaker Microwave has been having trouble with the unit cutting off during cooking time with bee, bee? noise and I have to reset the time and date. It started out as an infrequent thing, usually when using the reheat option. One day, at middle night, I was waked up by bee, bee? noise; even though no body was using it! I had to get up and tried to stop it but failed. Finally, I had to unplug the power. The 2nd day morning, I went to work late and kids complained that they could not sleep well last night. I knew I have to do something about it. So I called GE service, I was told that I have to wait for a week to get it fixed due overwhelming repair call.

Finally, a repairman came in. He took the unit out from the wall and told me some part was broken which I did not recall or actually did not understand. Two weeks later, he came and replaced the part. However, right before the warranty was expired, the same problem happened again! Then I did the same. The same guy came too. I said to him, I told him that we used to enjoy GEs products in our previous houses for many years but why not this one? Is it just because we are not luck? He smiled, and told me, look this label, it said, Made in Korea?.

He said it is shamed for GE to manufacture those defect products just to lower the cost but he is busy all the time! (GE must have known the problems) Two month later after the repairmen, the same problem started again. I called GE and was told that the warranty was expired and I have to pay for the repair. I argued that it is the same problem when it was in the warranty but GE refused to repair it. Now, every time I try to use the microwave regardless of whether reheat is selected or not. It runs for a few seconds and then cuts off, some time unplug works and sometime not, very unpleasant experience. So we have to use our old one and leave the trouble one on the wall as a decoration?!

Right after the warranty, our refrigerator did not produce ice any more! So we have to buy and keep a bag of ice in the refrigerator which takes the space for foods!

I finally find your website through reading the news of GE recalls microwave for fire hazard . Its recall is only cover the microwave sold between January 2000 to December 2003, not later model. Our neighborhood have over 100 houses build by the same builder, and most likely most have similar problems because my two nearby neighbors have the same complains. You can guess how serious the problem by finding out how many units GE has sold. It is time to file class action! If you do, please notify. It is not just the money, it is the stress, loss of sleeping, spending time to call, taking off from work and waiting for repairmen, and unpleasant times!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2007

We purchased a new home in 2001 in which the GE Spacemaker JVM1631 was installed. The microwave was manufactured on Dec. 2000. By mid 2003 our microwave stopped working. It ran but with no heating taking place. Inside it posted a one year warranty. I am surprised that there has not been a recall since I know of at least two other homes in my neighborhood that have had their GE Spacemaker microwave come to an early demise.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2007

I have a 1999 GE Spacemaker Microwave that today just quit heating, but rather, started burning up its insides. I ran a "reheat" setting, and the microwave fan came on, turntable turned, light was on, and I started smelling something like burned rubber or burned electronics. I stopped the microwave and found that the food inside was still cold.

This microwave is only 8 years old, which seems pretty old compared to others that have failed within their first year. But the last microwave I had (a Litton) lasted 25+ years. I wouldn't have expected this one to die so soon. I don't think it is worth repairing as a service call and repair would be more than what this one costs new.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2007

I bought a brand new home in 6/2006. It came with a GE Spacemaker Microwave and dishwasher. Recently 8/2007 my microwave sarted to make a high pitched screaching sound, no longer than three days later, during use, the light went out and all buttons were disabled. Not knowing whats wrong with it I took the precaution of unplugging it just to be safe.

Tried plugging it back in and still nothing. So, unplugged it and here I am. It looks as though there is some smoke damage on the interior walls. I'm just glad it did't start on fire.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2007

Our 5 year old GE spacemaker microwave stopped heating in late July, we called GE, then came to fix it on August 10th. The guy said that the part would be have to be ordered because it wasn't in stock, but the cost was covered by GE since it was a defected part. The labor was not included, but that's not the problem. He charged us $69.95 for the visit but it would be waved when he came back to put the part in. He made an appointment to come back on August 31. We waited and waited that day, he never shows up. When we made the appointment with the repair man to come back to put the part in, he had his laptop out so he could give us the appointment.

So we call GE and ask what is going on? Why didn't your guy show up. They stated that they never had an appointment for us on Aug 31. We could make another appointment. They only work during the day Mon-Fri, no can do!

My husband calls back today to complain and the lady on the phone tells him that our microwave was fixed on the first visit!!! No it wasn't!! The lady asked him if he could read because it was written on our receipt!! (like very sarcaticly) She refused to give him her name and she finally did and said "its Juanita, can you spell that?" And she spelled it three times over. WHAT?? She also said did you try the microwave??? He asked her to transfer him to her supervisor and for her employee ID# (which she gave to him), she said OK and they got disconnected. Surprise!

He called back to complain to someone else, but we are still where we started. And they have our $69. Can you give us some ideas on what to do???????

Original review: Aug. 10, 2007

My Spacemaker Microwave Oven stopped working. I have an extended contract (5 years) ending in 2009. I called and set up an appointment. The first GE serviceman, called and asked what was wrong with the unit, I told him it wasn't working, he must have been physic because he ordered parts and never came to check the unit.

He ordered the WRONG parts according to the 2nd GE serviceman, who couldn't repair the unit until he ordered more parts, and oh by the way I needed to have someone remove the unit because he had recently had surgery and couldn't do it himself. He put a rush on the order. The 3rd GE serviceman came to repair the unit but he didn't have the parts, they were being sent straight to me. He was VERY unprofessional asking my partner, " Don't you have on any drawers ?" He happened to be wearing shorts with a long shirt. We were certainly taken aback by his rude question. He couldn't repair the unit because I didn't have the parts yet. He called to see when they would be to my home and told me another serviceman would come back after 3:00 P.M. to repair the unit.

After he left (30 minutes) I got a call from the service department to set up another appointment for the following week. It has now been over a month and I still don't have a working unit. I called to set up another appointment and to complain about the previous 3 GE servicemen. I have always tried to buy GE appliances but NEVER will I purchase anything else from GE and certainly not their extended contracts. BUYERS BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have now had to take 4 days (without pay) off from work. Where is the Federal Government watching over consumers affairs?

Original review: July 19, 2007

I moved into a home with all new appliances, including a GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven installed over my range, Model #JVM1653SH02. The microwave was purchased in 2005; it died in May of 2007. The oven would start but then the control panel would show crazy symbols and the oven would stop working after 30 seconds or so. My understanding is that the repairs will cost more than a new oven. The problem is that I will have to purchase the same model if I wish to fit it into the space above the range. I'm reluctant to do that with all the reports I've read about these ovens starting fires or not working beyond a year or two.

Original review: July 13, 2007

On January 10,2005 I purchased a GE Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model #JVM1650SH from Lowe's. I was informed by the salesman that GE was a good company. We did not install our new microwave until May 2005 because we redid our kitchen and bought all new appliances. We noticed that after about a year the turntable was not always working and that the food was not heating up as quickly as before.

After two years now the microwave began to make a loud noise and is not heating up at all. We are very upset that it only lasted two years. We are now concerned that all our other appliances may break down. We had a repair person come to our home and were told that it is the Magnetron tube and it will cost us $220.00 to repair it. I called the GE service department and asked what their estimate would be to repair the microwave. They told me that the service call would be $69.95 and I would not be able to find out the labor cost until the technician comes to my home.

I think it is ridiculous that they cannot give me a price over the phone since they know what the probem is. I am very disappointed with the way this was handled and am very surprised that GE is not replacing this Magnetron Tube at no cost at all since they are having alot of complaints about it. I thought about having it repaired because now I cannot find a similar style to this one. But after reading about all of the repairs and the tube still failing I have now decided to go out a purchase a new microwave. I will never buy GE again. I think we all should be reimbursed for these spacemaker microwaves.

Original review: July 7, 2007

GE Spacemaker microwave started to not cook the food and smelled like a fire was about to start. Called in a repair person and when he took it apart he said that GE had a problem with a paint that they put on the attena that started the popping sound and then started to actually burn the paint on the unit. Not repairable

Original review: June 20, 2007

I noticed the most recent complaints on this product were in 2004. Well, there has been no improvement. I purchased a new GE Spacemaker Microwave in 2004 and it has already died.

There is absolutely no power. Even the clock does not display. I brought it back to the appliance store where I had purchased it. Their repairman quoted me over 1/2 the cost of a new unit. He said the problem was the door switch which activated everything.

Needless-to-say, there will be no more GE products in this house for awhile.

Original review: May 23, 2007

I purchased a GE Spacemaker Microwave model JVM1650 2 years ago and recently it stopped working. The problem seems to be very common with this model as I am finding out. The microwave stops working in the middle of heating and all the time settings has to be reset. I was told by a local repair man that it's the circuit board.

I wrote a letter to GE and talked with them on the phone and they said that they are not fimiliar with this problem and in fact aren't fimiliar with any problems with this model of microwave. I am not looking for any compensation for my purchase of this product but I can't imagine that GE can get away with ripping the American consumer off to this magnitude. Something should be done...

Original review: May 16, 2007

We built a new home 6 years and spent about $7,000.00 on new GE appliances.Since then we have had to "Pay" for repairs on every appliace. The lastest is our SpaceMaker Microwave JVM1631WB004 and dishwasher GSD4030Z07WW.the microwave Quit heating, we called to have it repaired and told it "was" covered under warranty...not true, parts were covered, we got hit with a $170.00 bill.The microwave sells brand new for $269.00!!

Original review: April 14, 2007

I bought the GE spacemaker microwave oven for my retirement home in Mexico. I picked this model because it is 30 inches wide and fits under my kitchen cabinet above the stove. After 2 weeks of use, the Magnetron is shorting out (electric arcing, flashing visible outside the unit, and 60 Hz AC growling noise.

I reported it to GE, and got zero help. They don't have a repair service in Mexico wwithin 1000 miles of my location. It is cost prohibitive to send it back to the US (duty fees charged on return plus shipping). he Magnetron is a SAMSUNG Model OM75P). I can't buy the Magnetron in Mexico. I think that GE should replace the Magnetron free.

Original review: March 28, 2007

Mine is simple. GE Spacemaker Microwaves are purest garbage. Don't buy one unless you want to pay $600 for a microwave that will last 15 months.

Original review: March 12, 2007

We purchased the GE Spacemaker microwave #JVM1650CB006 --manufactured, June, 2002, for a condo in Palm Desert CA. This is usually used only a few weeks a yr. and then only to reheat coffee and minor use. When we arrived in Nov. 2006, we noticed that the turntable didn't rotate. GE stated that it was out of warrenty, and the service call would be approximately $100.00 to diagnose the problem and then add the part.

They said it would be alright to use it without the turntable......I have had many different microwaves,(over the past 45 yrs) including the GE, at our permanent home, and have not had any of them wear out or need repair.....after reading the other problems with the GE's, I will skip buying any more of them......what happened to the quality?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2007

Today my son was popping a bag of popcorn in the GE Spacemaker microwave we bought from Lowes in 2005 - near the end of the popping cycle the beeping signal went off, but it was a long beep & then on the screen was F5. Don't know what that is, but I am a little afraid to use it again!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2007

We bought the GE spacemaker microwave model #JVM1443 four days ago. Installed it three days ago. It sparked when we first plugged it in and tripped our breaker. First time using it was two days ago. We used it maybe five times before it totally quit today. I wish I would have read all of these reviews before buying. I can't believe all the problems with these microwaves. Luckily, we don't have to deal with GE. I threw a big enough fit for the store we bought it from to take it back. Will never buy another GE product ever.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2007

On January 24, 2007, my 6 year old GE Spacemaker microwave blew up as I started to heat up a leftover. I heard a very loud "pop" which got my attention, after it was on for about 10 seconds of cooking. I was in the next room and as I turned around, the kitchen was filled with gray smoke. I thought the microwave was on fire. I quickly turned it off and when I opened the door to the microwave, a very thick cloud of plastic smelling smoke gushed out. I had to open all of the windows and doors on the first floor of my house.

If I had gone upstairs and not noticed the smoke when I did, I am sure a fire would have occurred. I live alone and my microwave is used very conservatively. Spacemakers are on the expensive side and now I have to replace it with something that will fit in the space provided above the stove. I do not think I would purchase another GE. I have read many reports of people who have had very similar experiences with the spacemakers. Have there been recalls on this appliance? Has the consumer ever been notified about the potential for fire? What is GE doing about this situation? My entire house reeked of that awful smoke until the next day!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2007

We purchased a GE Spacemaker microwave oven to fit over our oven when we were remodeling our kitchen. Since then, we have had nothing but trouble with it. It has broken 3 times, (once the door handle fell off.) Just to get the repairman to come is about $75 I believe. This time, we are thinking of just junking it and going for another brand. The inconvenience (breaking down at the holidays, waiting for the repairman,etc.) and the cost, is just not something we want to go through again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2007

I purchased a GE Spacemaker Microwave. I purchased it online, picked it up in November, 2005 and paid $268 plus tax. It lasted 13 months, and quit working. The warranty was one year. I did not purchase the extended warranty, because it was too expensive for the price of the microwave.

GE acknowledged that there have been a lot of problems with this model, when I called Consumer Relations. The first thing I was asked was if this was a model JVM1650 microwave oven. They agreed to wave the $70 service call, and I setup an appointment. GE said that I could make a decision on having it repaired after the repairman told me what the cost would be.
I am now out of $286 for a microwave, that only lasted 13 months. I must now either pay additional money to have it repaired, or purchase a new microwave, which will cost me approximately another $280 dollars.

Why won't GE recall these models, and refund our money?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2007

I've already posted a comment on Consumer Reports, but I thought I should provide an update. Maybe I am the eternal optimist, or just a sucker,because I was hoping the 3rd time would be a charm, and in a way I guess it was. It is now Jan 4, I've had to take another VACATION DAY from work to be here for the scheduled service, two magnetron tubes later and lo and behold my microwave could not be fixed because apparently there is a "short in the wave guide" which keeps shorting out the magnetron tube.

I am into my 7th WEEK and TWO HOLIDAYS LATER WITHOUT A MICROWAVE!! Even the offer of a replacement microwave is not reassuring since this is a replacement (i.e., new oven) from last year. This is UNACCEPTABLE and I am spreading the word to anyone who will listen, WALK away from ever buying a GE Spacemaker microwave oven. As for me, I am on my way to buy another manufacturer's above the range microwave.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2006

RUN DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven!!! My advice to any of you who are having problems with your microwave is to cut to the chase and replace with a different vendor. I purchased a 1 year old condo in 2003 with a GE Spacemaker Oven (MN# JVM1650WHO1) already installed. Last year the oven started smoking and gave off an ozone type smell. I arranged service $64 + dollars. The service reparir man stated it was probably the "tube" and arranged to have a new tube sent to me.

When he came for the repair it was not the tube but the smart board and told me I would be receiving a new microwav (manufactured 1/2005. since I had not been the origianl purchsee, I was satisfied with this even though I had to take a half day off work and it took about 4 weeks to arrange service receive a tube and then receive a new microwave. This year at Thanksgiving time my oven would inexplicably shut off after 2-3 seconds. I called for service (another fee of course and a 10 day wait. I got a call from the repair person, who infomred he was on vacation for a week (12/11-12/15) and the soonest he could not come was 12/22. He had ordered me a new magnetron tube delivered to my house.

Of course I had to take time off from work to accomodate his 4 hour "will be there" time frame" on the 22nd. He spent at least an hour and with sparks flying and several breaker switch resets later, he finally admitted he couldn't fix it that day saying something to the effect, "it's funny, it's like this microwave isn't accepting this new tube." He said he would order another tube and to call his cell # when it arrived rather than going through the call center. I did call him when the tube arrived (12/27) and he informed me he didn't have his apt. book w/ him and would get back to me to me to sched. a repair time.

It is now 12/29 I have not heard from him and I am going on 6 weeks w/o a microwave w/ no guarantee it can be fixed. I did file a complaint w/ GECARES which as we all know was the proverbial BLOW OFF.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2006

I have the Spacemaker Microwave Convection Oven JMV1490BD003 (which is no longer made). The same repair needs to made as 2yrs. ago. I purchased the maintanence contract after this repair, (due to the extra-ordinary cost of the repair process). The repairman came after a 2 wk. wait and said, "it needs a fan that has to be ordered, which will take 2 wks. to receive and install.

This is the second time I've been w/o a working oven for the same problem with a 4 wk. wait. After many e-mails and several telephone calls to the corporate offices, no one returned by e-mails or telephone calls. How do I, the owner of an appliance that cannot be service in a reasonable time deal with it happening twice. There has been no attempt to contact me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2006

GE spacemaker microwave. The light bulbs underneath burned out. I was unable to remove/replace them. Apparently they are not meant to be replaced. Contact with GE never actually resulted in talking to a live person! None of the phone options resulted in actually talking to a live person.

Frustration that any company would make a product such as this. They absolutely know that a light bulb will burn out, yet do not make replaceable by the consumer. What a racket. I will never buy another GE product if at all possible!

GE Spacemaker Microwaves Company Information